Lexus: IS News

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2005, 03:44 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Official info for USA market

2006 Lexus IS - - Source: Autoweek

Lexus has officially unveiled its new Lexus IS family: The IS 250 features a 2.5-liter V6 engine and either a six-speed manual transmission, or a new six-speed automatic transmission with steering wheel-mounted paddle shifters routing power to the rear wheels. The IS 250 AWD also has the six-speed paddle-shift. The IS 350 is powered by a 3.5-liter V6 engine backed by the paddle-shifted six-speed automatic transmission. Two brand-new V6 engines debut in the new IS sedans. The 2.5-liter version found in the IS 250 uses dual Variable Valve Timing with Intelligence (VVT-i) and a new direct-to-cylinder fuel injection system to help deliver 204 horsepower and 185 lb.-ft. of torque. The new 3.5-liter version develops a best-in-class 306 horsepower and 277 lb.-ft. of torque, resulting in an estimated 0-60 mph time of 5.6 seconds. Stay tuned for the complete AutoWeek report on the new IS.

Old 07-20-2005, 05:26 PM
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Man, they've got some cool ass gauges. I love the interior. I look forward to seeing it in a light leather.
Old 07-20-2005, 05:55 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
If i had to buy a non-euro car... i think this would be it!
Old 07-20-2005, 08:04 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
Originally Posted by Kwijybo19
I'm impressed overall, but I can't get over the likeness to the Grand Prix. The c-pillar is an almost exact copy. Take a look...

I totally agree - I have always said this too - the IS, and in fact, Lexus, just does not have the exterior to match what they have to offer in the engine and interior compartments. Toyota's designers seem to be very unimaginative and create very derivative and bland designs. The new GS looks like an expensive Maxima and the IS now looks like a Pontiac with a Solara nose, plus a good dose of Scion thrown in too. I don't know, may be in real life it will look better?

On the other hand, the new 3 series looked very nice in the magazines, but I was completely underwhelmed when I saw one in my neighborhood yesterday.... it was too similar to the last generation and the new BMW signature lines/curves/contour on the sides are just too busy..... what a disappointment.
Old 07-20-2005, 08:11 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love this car but the 350 is gonna be too much money for me. The 250, while beautiful, at 204hp, aint gonna get it. I guess I'll go back to plan B, a TL. I was hoping to see what all the hoopla surrounding Lexus quality was all about. I guess I'll just do the test drive thing.
Old 07-20-2005, 09:07 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by ostrich

I totally agree - I have always said this too - the IS, and in fact, Lexus, just does not have the exterior to match what they have to offer in the engine and interior compartments. Toyota's designers seem to be very unimaginative and create very derivative and bland designs.
They are not Alfa or Ferrari designers but they are not as bad as you make it sound.

The new GS looks like an expensive Maxima
Maybe to you. Not to me and not to very many people around.

and the IS now looks like a Pontiac with a Solara nose, plus a good dose of Scion thrown in too. I don't know, may be in real life it will look better?
I disagree with that, though I am not very excited about how this IS looks. But that's what I thought of the GS until I saw it live. It stunned me at the Chicago Auto show when I first saw it as a concept.

On the other hand, the new 3 series looked very nice in the magazines, but I was completely underwhelmed when I saw one in my neighborhood yesterday.... it was too similar to the last generation and the new BMW signature lines/curves/contour on the sides are just too busy..... what a disappointment.
That, we agree on.
Old 07-21-2005, 04:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by kansaiwalker1
No, I think both cars look sharp. But the IS350 with 300+ hp will show the TL its tailights unless Acura gives the TL another bump in horsepower.

Overall I am very impressed with the new IS350, and the IS250 should be good for those who just want the name(aka BMW 325).
Maybe the IS250 shopper wants the awd or the Lexus quality or the Lexus service or the Lexus reliability or the Lexus resale value? Yeah, I own a Lexus.
Old 07-23-2005, 03:29 AM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 753 Likes on 453 Posts
Originally Posted by jdone
Maybe the IS250 shopper wants the awd or the Lexus quality or the Lexus service or the Lexus reliability or the Lexus resale value? Yeah, I own a Lexus.
It's surprising how much people are willing to pay for horsepower they will never use. On my daily commute I pull away from any car with my TSX when I want, and I hardly ever go full throttle.

When I see someone with a better car it's usually someone older and driving slowly, often talking on the phone. I haven't once seen a BMW burning rubber.

It's 90% about how much power you're willing to use, and in reality most people use very little.

What I am getting every minute of my commute is superior fuel economy, great handling and more refined ergonomics. Why shouldn't these things be worth a premium just because the car doesn't come with an engine most owners wilk never use to its full potential?
Old 07-23-2005, 10:21 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Belzebutt
It's surprising how much people are willing to pay for horsepower they will never use. On my daily commute I pull away from any car with my TSX when I want, and I hardly ever go full throttle.

When I see someone with a better car it's usually someone older and driving slowly, often talking on the phone. I haven't once seen a BMW burning rubber.

It's 90% about how much power you're willing to use, and in reality most people use very little.

What I am getting every minute of my commute is superior fuel economy, great handling and more refined ergonomics. Why shouldn't these things be worth a premium just because the car doesn't come with an engine most owners wilk never use to its full potential?
Speaking of not using horsepower, here in Wichita ALL of the S55 AMG's I see are driven by men and women over the age of 60 and they are driving sloooow. Even the majority of CL65 AMG's with its vaulted 700+ torque is driven by someone in that age group. I look at it this way, they bought their cars because they could or a salesman talked them into it because they knew the customer could. It sort of pains me to see a car with that kind of potential not being driven as it could be.
Old 07-23-2005, 12:16 PM
EZZ
Burning Brakes

Its the 5% of the time that you do get to use the full potential of the engine that is worth the extra premium for horsepower. There is a reason that the G35 is doing as well as it has been doing Also, most people have the same sentiment as you...that is one reason why the 325 and the weaker engine versions of other manufacturers outsells the bigger engine variant by several multiples.
Old 07-23-2005, 01:46 PM
Pro

IMO, the G35 has done so well is because from an engineering stand point the car is excellent. For years other car companies have "claimed" to use BMW's as a benchmark but fail short. The Acura CL-S 6spd was close but was a little too late. Infiniti went after the 3 series and did well. They could have done better if materials were of higher quality and some quirky things such as the pwr seat controls were normal but over all the G deserves a serious look. I even considered one before getting my TL. Infiniti almost had me with customer service, a reclining back seat, good if not touchy brakes, and the ability to hit a 30mph curve at 65mph with out a fuss.

Infiniti has a great foundation to build upon with the next generation and let us not forget that Nissan is very much into the horse power war it helped start.
Old 07-23-2005, 02:02 PM
Race Director

Received 632 Likes on 508 Posts
After seeing that the IS250 might possibly not come with the interface screen standard (like the GS) I had a thought - other than the platform being RWD what's the big deal about this car compared to a TSX? The performance will probably be no better, neither will the milage nor reliability, it's smaller and it will cost more. From the initial reviews it seems like even with the IS (cause they already missed with the GS), Lexus is leaning toward the lux side of sport in terms of handling - so then I ask again - what's the big deal? Sure it's a lot more grown up that the current IS300 and it will appeal to a more broad audience, but there's notthing earth shattering about this car. Unless I'm missing something I don't see paying anything more than 2K extra (for the RWD) over a TSX for an IS250.

Sure if you're bent on buying a 325 you might be tempted by an IS250 cause of the better value it provides (unless Lexus goes crazy with the prices), but the TSX is an even better value yet.
Old 07-23-2005, 02:05 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by biker
After seeing that the IS250 might possibly not come with the interface screen standard (like the GS) I had a thought - other than the platform being RWD what's the big deal about this car compared to a TSX? The performance will probably be no better, neither will the milage nor reliability, it's smaller and it will cost more. From the initial reviews it seems like even with the IS (cause they already missed with the GS), Lexus is leaning toward the lux side of sport in terms of handling - so then I ask again - what's the big deal? Sure it's a lot more grown up that the current IS300 and it will appeal to a more broad audience, but there's notthing earth shattering about this car. Unless I'm missing something I don't see paying anything more than 2K extra (for the RWD) over a TSX for an IS250.

Sure if you're bent on buying a 325 you might be tempted by an IS250 cause of the better value it provides (unless Lexus goes crazy with the prices), but the TSX is an even better value yet.
Good points and if Acura has the good sense to use the rumored turbo motor then the value just got better. Sure the price will be more but still cost less then the competition.
Old 07-24-2005, 12:17 PM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 753 Likes on 453 Posts

- It's a Lexus
- It looks different - some people will be hooked on the looks
- It has a few features the TSX doesn't
- It's RWD, like you said

I think for many people the mantra of "RWD is better" makes them pay a premium, and I think Acura will never really make it big until they have a mainstream RWD platform.

Personally, I probably wouldn't get a 250, just like I wouldn't get a 325i. But if I had the money I sure as hell would go for a 350 or a 330i.
Old 07-24-2005, 12:52 PM
Race Director

I think for many people the mantra of "RWD is better" makes them pay a premium, and I think Acura will never really make it big until they have a mainstream RWD platform.
That's fine and I'd be prepared to pay up to a 2K premium for the RWD - but I have a feeling Lexus thinks it can command more than that. 29K for a well equiped standard 6MT IS250 would be reasonable. But the pricing structure (huge diff between invoice and MSRP) and common configurations available on lots (there are no base cars available) for the GS sugests otherwise.
Old 07-24-2005, 01:32 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
u missed a few photo's

Old 07-24-2005, 05:52 PM
Safety Car

- Personally, I probably wouldn't get a 250, just like I wouldn't get a 325i. But if I had the money I sure as hell would go for a 350 or a 330i.
I agree with you. Give me the 350 or 330i, period.
Old 07-25-2005, 08:39 AM
Pro

- It's a Lexus
- It looks different - some people will be hooked on the looks
- It has a few features the TSX doesn't
- It's RWD, like you said

Your correct. RWD no matter how you cut it represents handling. The rear wheels drive and the front steers. Plain and simple. With a good set up and the proper tires the understeer is mild and oversteer can be fun if you know what your doing. Being able to use the throttle to steer the car is possible for the most part. Now most people don't have a clue how to handle a RWD like a pro. FWD is good in the snow belt but I will say I can't push my 270hp TL the way I pushed a new 325i, G35/C, or even GS.

Now I will say from what I've read, the new IS has more then a few features then the TSX. If a customer were a gadget junkie, then they will be in heavn. The only thing I see Acura adding to a TSX would be keyless access. AFS is a bit of a push along with Bi-Xenon (unless the Accord gets low beam Xenon). There are some other stuff, but we all have read that the IS is getting most of the new GS equipment.
Old 07-25-2005, 11:07 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Chief engineer, part-time rally driver helped to take next-gen Lexus IS in new direction
AUTOMOTIVE NEWS
Posted Date: 7/25/05

Suguya Fukusato may have spent most of his Toyota career as chief engineer of Toyota front-drive econoboxes, but he knows a thing or two about fast cars. He's a rally driver in his native Japan.

Fukusato also has had two Porsche 911 coupes in his stable, currently a 1980 911SC, as well as a 1989 911 Turbo he was compelled to unload because of Japan's claustrophobic traffic.

Finally, Fukusato got his chance to work on a real rear-wheel-drive sports sedan. As chief engineer of the new IS 250 and IS 350 sedans, Fukusato saw the opportunity to take Lexus in a new direction.

At the July media launch in Los Angeles, Fukusato spoke with Automotive News Staff Reporter Mark Rechtin about his latest project.

You said Lexus left out some 'must haves' from the previous IS 300. What do you mean by that?

We made a list. There were nearly 1,000 things that were missed. Most of the list is confidential. But there were some luxury touches that were not Lexus. The damping speed on the doors on the interior fixtures. The exterior paint quality, deviations in the paint and the surface flatness. The LED license plate lamp wasn't right. On the mechanical side, the ride comfort and handling performance were not up to Lexus standards. Neither was the body control and stability.

What was the benchmark for the new IS sedans?

The marketing side, not the development side, looked at the BMW 3 Series, Cadillac CTS, Acura TL, Audi A4 and Mercedes C-Class. But my personal benchmark was in my own feeling of what was right for the car.

In that sense, I decided for myself what to do. But in final comparison, we wanted performance like the BMW 330i M edition and the Mercedes-Benz AMG C32.

The original IS 300 was known for its inline-six engine. Was there ever a hope that such an engine would carry over? Or was it always known that it would be a V6?

There were several advantages to a V6. An inline-six is longer, so that moves the center of gravity point farther forward in the car, which affects handling. The inline-six also is heavier than the new V-6, and the V6 fits in a more compact space.

So why couldn't you just borrow the new 3.5-liter V6 from the Toyota Avalon? Why did you need to invent a different engine family?

The IS is the first vehicle with this new V6. It's mounted north-south, while the Avalon is mounted transverse. We couldn't borrow the Avalon engine because of that.

I had no idea the 3.5L in the IS was an all-new engine. I thought it was shared with the Avalon.

This just reminds me how for a "Engine Company" Honda has very few engines.
Old 07-25-2005, 11:52 AM
Pro

I too thouth the IS was using the Avalon's engine and like you I wonder why is it that Honda has so few engines in the US. On a global scale I guess Honda is fine but when looking at the US market, you have sevarl i-4's but the V6 count is low and they are all related. The 3.0 spawned the 3.2 and 3.5. The 3.5 was updated for the MDX and put into the Ody, Pilot, Ridgeline, and RL. It would have been nice to see the RL with an all new engine different from the current 3.5 and a much stronger engine in the Ridgeline (I'm not speaking of a V8).

My biggest question is what can we expect from the next TL engine wise.

I had no idea the 3.5L in the IS was an all-new engine. I thought it was shared with the Avalon.

This just reminds me how for a "Engine Company" Honda has very few engines.
Old 07-25-2005, 12:01 PM
04 remembrance

The new IS250 looks sweet.
Old 07-25-2005, 01:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
I think this new IS will be a mega hit for Lexus, good for them, if I didn't have my TL, I'd pick one of these up for sure
Old 07-25-2005, 02:15 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by cTLgo
I think this new IS will be a mega hit for Lexus, good for them, if I didn't have my TL, I'd pick one of these up for sure
Has Lexus really not had a hit. I mean eveything they come out with has the Midas Touch. The IS may give the new 3 a run for its money and with all of the tech gadgets it has not to mention the soon to be released variations.
Old 07-25-2005, 02:26 PM
EZZ
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Precision Crafted
Has Lexus really not had a hit. I mean eveything they come out with has the Midas Touch. The IS may give the new 3 a run for its money and with all of the tech gadgets it has not to mention the soon to be released variations.
The IS300 was a failure and really did nothing for Lexus. It wasn't a bad car...just BMW was much better. Everything else Lexus has made though is a big hit and this new IS will be a tough competitor in this market segment. I think BMW is in big trouble...
Old 07-25-2005, 02:36 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by EZZ
The IS300 was a failure and really did nothing for Lexus. It wasn't a bad car...just BMW was much better. Everything else Lexus has made though is a big hit and this new IS will be a tough competitor in this market segment. I think BMW is in big trouble...

Nothing has come close to betting BMW except the G35/C and CL-S 6 spd. The IS lacked passion. True it was not the usual Lexus in the interier department but wasn't ment to be at the time. It was to provide a lower price point for those who may not have considered a Lexus. To that end they succeeded with the average buyer age under 30. This new IS is more serious in the sport sedan area and by offering the 250 they will still get Lexus hopefulls into showrooms but it will be the 350 that gets customers to look in the first place. And if automotive therory holds true then those 250 owners will move up market as their incomes become greater.
Old 07-25-2005, 02:40 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Can't remember where I saw the number but it was somewhere in this forum last week. BMW sold close to 100K 3 series compared to the 15K or so IS's sold.

Lexus has a LOOOONG way to go to catch the 3. The new IS is most definently a step in the right direction but it will take several years before they make up that ground if at all.
Old 07-25-2005, 02:42 PM
EZZ
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Precision Crafted
Nothing has come close to betting BMW except the G35/C and CL-S 6 spd. The IS lacked passion. True it was not the usual Lexus in the interier department but wasn't ment to be at the time. It was to provide a lower price point for those who may not have considered a Lexus. To that end they succeeded with the average buyer age under 30. This new IS is more serious in the sport sedan area and by offering the 250 they will still get Lexus hopefulls into showrooms but it will be the 350 that gets customers to look in the first place. And if automotive therory holds true then those 250 owners will move up market as their incomes become greater.
I wasn't really talking about the essence of the car but the sales figure. It really was abysmal. I believe the G35 sold more last year alone (both sedan and coupe) than the IS300 ever sold. Ironically, the FWD and very ponderous handling ES330 has sold very very well. It was the complete opposite with Infiniti where the the RWD, crappy interior G35 easily outsold the plusher, FWD I35.
Old 07-25-2005, 03:44 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by EZZ
I wasn't really talking about the essence of the car but the sales figure. It really was abysmal. I believe the G35 sold more last year alone (both sedan and coupe) than the IS300 ever sold. Ironically, the FWD and very ponderous handling ES330 has sold very very well. It was the complete opposite with Infiniti where the the RWD, crappy interior G35 easily outsold the plusher, FWD I35.

I like to think of the ES as a "poor man's LS".
Old 07-26-2005, 02:04 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by dom
Can't remember where I saw the number but it was somewhere in this forum last week. BMW sold close to 100K 3 series compared to the 15K or so IS's sold.

Lexus has a LOOOONG way to go to catch the 3. The new IS is most definently a step in the right direction but it will take several years before they make up that ground if at all.
In 04 Lexus sold about 9500 ISs vs over 100K for the 3 series. For MY 06, Lexus hopes to sell over 40K ISs. They will probably succeed but very few of the extra 30K ISs Lexus will sell will come out of the 100K sales BMW had.
Basically the IS will be on par with the TSX sales levels - because in reality the largest volume model, RWD IS250, is a TSX competitor.
Old 07-27-2005, 02:40 AM
Race Director

From the TL board:

Pricing
2006 IS250 (base model)
$ 27,585 - Manual - RWD
$ 28,955 - Automatic - E-Shift - RWD
$ 30,905 - Automatic - E-Shift - AWD
2006 IS350 (fully loaded)
$ 42,475 - Automatic - E-shift - RWD

It would be pretty tempting at these levels depending on what is included on the base car.
Old 07-27-2005, 08:47 AM
Pro

From the TL board:

Pricing
2006 IS250 (base model)
$ 27,585 - Manual - RWD

It would be pretty tempting at these levels depending on what is included on the base car.
Well it seems a fully loaded 350 will under cut a fully loaded 330. I assume fully loaded includes Navi. Minus that and you could save around 2k. Now, if reviews of it are favorable and it wins some comparisons with the 330 then Lexus could meet there sales goals.
Old 07-27-2005, 10:37 AM
Burn some dust here

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
Pretty impressive price for what you get in return with the IS350
Old 07-27-2005, 10:40 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

So the 250 will be in the low 30's once optioned out. Doesn't have nearly the power output it should for that price IMO.
Old 07-27-2005, 11:33 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by dom
So the 250 will be in the low 30's once optioned out. Doesn't have nearly the power output it should for that price IMO.
At lest 240 would be good with 250 even better.
Old 07-27-2005, 11:58 AM
Moderator Alumnus

From the TL board:

Pricing
2006 IS250 (base model)
$ 27,585 - Manual - RWD

I totally believe these prices. Very realistic and just as I expected.
Old 07-28-2005, 12:57 AM
Comptech Freak

IS350 starts at 42k!!!

i just saw the price of the new lexus IS350 and the MSRP is close to 42K!!!

it is way more than my budget and much more expensive than the TL and G35 6MT, guess it will be out of my shopping list....
Old 07-28-2005, 01:06 AM
Safety Car

$$ or US $$?
Old 07-28-2005, 01:26 AM
Drifting

That seems pretty steep, considering 330i starts around 36K.

EDIT: never mind... I think you're talking Canadian..
Old 07-28-2005, 01:30 AM
Comptech Freak

From the TL board:

Pricing
2006 IS250 (base model)
$ 27,585 - Manual - RWD

sorry it's fully loaded, but still very steep since it's in USD, the price is very close to a 330i
Old 07-28-2005, 01:34 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
42k for a fully loaded is350 is reasonable to me. with all the HP + LEXUS badge... it deserves 42k.....

Quick Reply: Lexus: IS News