Lexus: IS News

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2005, 08:16 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
The biggest downer, however, is the inability to disarm the VDIM system, which mutes the sedan's performance long before the limits of its chassis and its optional 18-inch summer-spec tires are reached (17-inch all-weather tires are standard). There's a great engine, a great chassis and spectacular brakes under all that electronic baby-sitting, but the VDIM system is so intrusive it's hard to tell. We expressed a similar complaint about the GS 430.
ugh. every review iv'e read about the gs complains greatly about this, and now it's the same for the IS... is this the future for all performance lux, or just mb, and lex.

i dont know if this would keep me from buying this car, but it might.
Old 07-15-2005, 08:25 AM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, the new IS is a nice car from what the pics show and from what I've just read. It is too bad Lexus has to follow M-B so closely as in their relentless desire to not have electronic aids that can be fully if at all disabled.

Lexus seems to be on the track of continuing to give buyers what they may not want. The design of the new IS is pleasent enough with out being too much of a fad that will look old in 3 years. Even the current IS still looks as good as the day it was introduced.

One of my wishes for Acura is that their front ends wouldn't look so "Honda" like. Yes Acura and Honda are the same but it would be nice for Acura to have its own look in the headlights. At least for now the grill of Acura's are their own as long as Accord people don't complain too much that their cars should have chrome grills in which case the surround will look like Acura's. Just my opinion.
Old 07-15-2005, 09:16 AM
Safety Car

Man, I'm really liking this car more and more. My biggest complaint about it was the pinched front end, and that's growing on me. I love the interior, and the rear. And there's no denying the performance. After spending quality time in the GS I'm seriously looking at the IS for next car.
Old 07-15-2005, 09:53 AM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
The interior is beautiful! The headlights look like the current Accord, however (I'm still undecided if that's good or bad), and does anyone know how much the IS250 will cost? Acura better bump the power of the TSX just a tad if they want to stay faster than the IS250. I think Lexus is trying to copy Acura on the success of the TSX. That VDIM thing is going to be annoying though. The inability to turn it off is a deal breaker for me. Too bad, Lexus. I hate when I can't disable electronic nannies (excluding ABS and EBD). I wonder how many people would NOT have bought the TSX if you couldn't turn VSA off?
Old 07-15-2005, 10:05 AM
EZZ
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by youngTL
The interior is beautiful! The headlights look like the current Accord, however (I'm still undecided if that's good or bad), and does anyone know how much the IS250 will cost? Acura better bump the power of the TSX just a tad if they want to stay faster than the IS250. I think Lexus is trying to copy Acura on the success of the TSX. That VDIM thing is going to be annoying though. The inability to turn it off is a deal breaker for me. Too bad, Lexus. I hate when I can't disable electronic nannies (excluding ABS and EBD). I wonder how many people would NOT have bought the TSX if you couldn't turn VSA off?
The IS250 will be a dog. It weighs around 3500 lbs and 204 hp pushing that much weight won't be pretty. Also, the IS350 even with all the safety gizmos on will still be faster than most of the cars in its class. The only two that'll give it serious comp will be the 3 series and the G35. It'll steal a lot of sales from the TL though...the interior looks amazing and has just as many gizmos as the TL. Great job Lexus.
Old 07-15-2005, 12:14 PM
Pro

For '06 Acura should be making some changes to the TL. Power may be up but not the the point of hitting 300 or better. Not with the RL in the way. Not sure what Acura could do at this point. The 3 Series will do well because of what it is. The G35 with a 6spd is 298hp and does have some decent driving dynamics. The IS is bettering the 3 in power, features and probably price.

The TL has features and price but too high of an hp increase may hurt RL sales. I know Honda is not stupid and they must have discussed in product planning meetings what would happen to the TL during it's current life cycle and what a 300hp RL could or could not do any sort of increase.

I do recall hearing on TOV's web video regarding the TL that 270 was good enough for the moment. Two model years have about passed as I wonder how much more can the front tires take and if Acura would be willing to install the ATTS from the Prelude Type SH if at all possible to handle any torque steer. Fall is going to be real interesting in the Acura camp.
Old 07-15-2005, 02:20 PM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
!

Originally Posted by Precision Crafted
For '06 Acura should be making some changes to the TL. Power may be up but not the the point of hitting 300 or better. Not with the RL in the way. Not sure what Acura could do at this point. The 3 Series will do well because of what it is. The G35 with a 6spd is 298hp and does have some decent driving dynamics. The IS is bettering the 3 in power, features and probably price.

The TL has features and price but too high of an hp increase may hurt RL sales. I know Honda is not stupid and they must have discussed in product planning meetings what would happen to the TL during it's current life cycle and what a 300hp RL could or could not do any sort of increase.

I do recall hearing on TOV's web video regarding the TL that 270 was good enough for the moment. Two model years have about passed as I wonder how much more can the front tires take and if Acura would be willing to install the ATTS from the Prelude Type SH if at all possible to handle any torque steer. Fall is going to be real interesting in the Acura camp.
I never even though of ATTS! I wonder what sort of complications there would be, and how much of a benefit it could provide?
Old 07-15-2005, 02:29 PM
Pro

Not using ATTS does seem like a waste. The 6sp CL-S had a limited slip diff but it wasn't ATTS. The current TL and up coming Civic Si will have limited slip diff's too but not ATTS.

Acura's DN-X used ATTS along with 3.5L V6 hybrid power so I suppose that tells us ATTS will work with a V6 motor. I'm just wondering what is Acura waiting for. Maybe the upcoming performance hybrid Acura will offer it.
Old 07-15-2005, 03:21 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Its 180.1-inch length makes it 2 inches longer than a 2006 BMW 3 Series sedan, but its 107.5-inch wheelbase is 1.2 inches shorter than the BMW's. The Lexus is also a little narrower and a little taller than the Bimmer.
The above is not very encouraging at all. You're setting up the car to fail from a handling standpoint, in theory.
Old 07-15-2005, 03:33 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Everyone here complaining about the Stability Control and lack of manual tranny should remember three things:

1. This is a sedan, there is a coupe on the way
2. This is the first iteration of the sedan. Usually the second year adds the final touches of what the manufacturer had in mind about the lineup. In this case the IS lineup. SO I am sure the Coupe will be much more aggressively tuned.
3. I am certain there will be an M-like IS car in two years from now. That one will have everything you all wish, plus more.
Old 07-15-2005, 03:35 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by youngTL
Acura better bump the power of the TSX just a tad if they want to stay faster than the IS250. I think Lexus is trying to copy Acura on the success of the TSX.
I bet the 2.4L will make 220 HP soon. But that's just a band aid even if it happens. We will see a 6 in the TSX no doubt or a 4 and IMA.
Old 07-15-2005, 03:39 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by EZZ
The IS250 will be a dog. It weighs around 3500 lbs and 204 hp pushing that much weight won't be pretty. Also, the IS350 even with all the safety gizmos on will still be faster than most of the cars in its class. The only two that'll give it serious comp will be the 3 series and the G35. It'll steal a lot of sales from the TL though...the interior looks amazing and has just as many gizmos as the TL. Great job Lexus.
My guess all along has been that, the IS350 auto will be faster and quicker than the 330i auto and almost par with the 330i manual. When the IS350 manual comes out, it will beat the 330i manual also.

Now as we know there is an effort from BMW to squeez more power out of that 3.0L engine. We already know that it will make 260HP next year. So unless BMW finds more power, I stand by the above guess. LExus aint playing games any more.

This is their first year of their first direct attempt to compete with the best in this segment. So we have not seen anything yet. These are the most benign IS cars we will see going forward and they are already ravving at Edmunds who are the number one BMW-lover-boys I know of. Lexus will eventually win this or bring BMW in a very difficult financial position. It will take 2.5-3.5 more years. It's not a matter of "if" but "when".
Old 07-15-2005, 03:41 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by gavriil
Everyone here complaining about the Stability Control and lack of manual tranny should remember three things:

2. This is the first iteration of the sedan. Usually the second year adds the final touches of what the manufacturer had in mind about the lineup. In this case the IS lineup. SO I am sure the Coupe will be much more aggressively tuned.
3. I am certain there will be an M-like IS car in two years from now. That one will have everything you all wish, plus more.

BUT, you can turn off the stability control and get a manual in the first year 06 3 series.

Otherwise I totally agree with you. No need to panic.
Old 07-15-2005, 03:45 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by dom
BUT, you can turn off the stability control and get a manual in the first year 06 3 series.

Otherwise I totally agree with you. No need to panic.

I dont think that one can turn the SC totally off in any of their cars. That's the case with many Porsche vehicles also. It's just that Lexus is a A LOT more conservative with stability control. It's evident even in my RX300. If you plant it while in an angle, it bogs for 5 seconds. Very conservative.

But that's OK, that's just their philosophy. I am guessing what they will do is they will go all-out with their more-hard-core cars. Like the coupe and the ala-M cars. Let's see if my guess is right. We'll know in 2 years from now.
Old 07-15-2005, 06:06 PM
Racer

I guess all those complaining need to take corners at 90mph on the way to the mall. IT'll sell like hotcakes, period.
Old 07-15-2005, 06:20 PM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 753 Likes on 453 Posts
they are already ravving at Edmunds who are the number one BMW-lover-boys I know of.
The review didn't seem to be "raving" to me, actually I was a bit disappointed that they didn't like it more.
Old 07-15-2005, 09:42 PM
Safety Car

Number one, I don't think Edmunds is a great reviewer as far as performance of any car.

2nd, edmunds, haven driven the new IS250, think it would have been most interesting/important to compare the power of the new engine to the current IS300, not to play games-- oh what are we gonna like more- the 200hp version or the 300hp version, uhh 300hp.

3rd, they drove an IS250 with performance package, said it was soft and wafts yet not a complaint in sight cause they were excited to talk about a higher power model in the next paragraph, nice . And no complaints become awful suspicious when the pp package goes from soft to tenacious with only a wheel upgrade between the models, wow, very nice . Can see now, having power under the pedal had them all forgetting any let downs in handling.

I dunno, from reading between the lines of this weak review (almost like they didn't drive anything), from my perspective/opinion, I think the BMW3 is going to show Lexus one more lesson from a German underdog.

As far as the edmunds photos, wow, the car looks amazing inside and out, Lexus did a wonderful job designing this car imo. Think this would push my wallet from a TSX which once had the market to itself, to something that is sharper and rwd for a chunk of change more without figuring in standard features yet.
Old 07-15-2005, 10:19 PM
fap fap fap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by heyitsme

I dunno, from reading between the lines of this weak review (almost like they didn't drive anything), from my perspective/opinion, I think the BMW3 is going to show Lexus one more lesson from a German underdog.

since when is the 3 series an underdog? they are and have been the champs for a while now.
Old 07-15-2005, 10:21 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Infamous425
since when is the 3 series an underdog? they are and have been the champs for a while now.
BMW sales vs Lexus sales, I was thinking as brands but didn't post it.
Old 07-15-2005, 10:40 PM
I pimp an Audi A4.

TL = ugly compared to this IS350
Old 07-15-2005, 11:56 PM
EZZ
Burning Brakes

BMW sales vs Lexus sales, I was thinking as brands but didn't post it.
BMW is hardly an underdog. It is the second best selling luxury brands in the world.
Old 07-16-2005, 05:14 AM
The Third Ball

Received 5,105 Likes on 2,708 Posts
Is it me or did anyone else catch the typo?

It clearly says there will be a manual available with all V6 engines....this is incorrect right? even according to the lexus website?

I pray its true and the is350 gets a manual...but that isnt case and the article fubared right?
Old 07-16-2005, 10:22 AM
fap fap fap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
maybe they'll do like the current IS and release a manual (for is350) 2 yrs later
Old 07-16-2005, 11:55 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by Belzebutt
The review didn't seem to be "raving" to me, actually I was a bit disappointed that they didn't like it more.

From the review:

With the structural heft of a beryllium atom, spectacular engines and exquisite assembly quality, the new IS is a car even committed Bimmer-philes should test-drive. It goes on sale this fall and should be priced competitively with, if not slightly below, BMW's 3 Series. It should be quite a sales race.
For a source that loves BMWs, I call that 100% raving!
Old 07-16-2005, 11:57 AM
Moderator Alumnus

2nd, edmunds, haven driven the new IS250,
Have you read the complete review on page 27 of this thread? They drove both cars.
Old 07-16-2005, 06:10 PM
Advanced

Thats because it wasnt a review. It was a preview. They have a real review coming next month. I too dont really care for what Edmunds has to say about performance. Ive read a few of there reviews and test drove many cars and disagreed with just about everything they have said.
Old 07-16-2005, 06:47 PM
Safety Car

Have you read the complete review on page 27 of this thread? They drove both cars.
I'm not sure what you mean. I wanted the 250 engine compared to the current I6 engine, if they did I missed it.
Old 07-16-2005, 06:57 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by srika
holy @$%#$*!!! it's iPod compatible?!?!?!??! NO WAY!!! I WANT ONE!!!

pathetic. I just CAN'T STAND any product that attempts to mooch off the iPod's (overrated) success...
Slow down man, it has a generic input for any portable device. It is not exclusive for the ipod. Being that the ipod is so popular and everyone basicially knows what one is, they chose to use it.

The stock HU in the IS has a basic "line in" via a 1/8th inch stereo connector.
Old 07-16-2005, 07:05 PM
Safety Car

Type of direct input is good for satellite radio plug n play units.
Old 07-17-2005, 12:10 PM
Moderator Alumnus

I'm not sure what you mean. I wanted the 250 engine compared to the current I6 engine, if they did I missed it.

You probably mistyped, used bad syntax, or I misunderstood your post. You wrote:

2nd, edmunds, haven driven the new IS250,
This sounds to me like you are saying that Edmunds did not drive the IS250, when in fact they did.
Old 07-17-2005, 12:52 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 10,952 Likes on 5,550 Posts
Originally Posted by SiGGy
Slow down man, it has a generic input for any portable device. It is not exclusive for the ipod. Being that the ipod is so popular and everyone basicially knows what one is, they chose to use it.

The stock HU in the IS has a basic "line in" via a 1/8th inch stereo connector.
yeah that was my point.... its just an "AUX in" jack.....

but you're right I kinda freaked out there.... the issue had just been on my mind for several days...
Old 07-17-2005, 04:22 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by srika
yeah that was my point.... its just an "AUX in" jack.....

but you're right I kinda freaked out there.... the issue had just been on my mind for several days...

LOL, I feel ya. I have the same issues with other things
Old 07-17-2005, 04:52 PM
Kabachitare!

Originally Posted by pimpravi
TL = ugly compared to this IS350
No, I think both cars look sharp. But the IS350 with 300+ hp will show the TL its tailights unless Acura gives the TL another bump in horsepower.

Overall I am very impressed with the new IS350, and the IS250 should be good for those who just want the name(aka BMW 325).
Old 07-17-2005, 09:30 PM
Intermediate

I'm impressed overall, but I can't get over the likeness to the Grand Prix. The c-pillar is an almost exact copy. Take a look...

Old 07-18-2005, 12:04 AM
That's Racist

Beautiful car. I'd love it if IS300's weren't a dime a dozen around here...
Old 07-18-2005, 09:17 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Kwijybo19
I'm impressed overall, but I can't get over the likeness to the Grand Prix. The c-pillar is an almost exact copy. Take a look...

What don't you like about the Grand Prix's exterior? Just the fact, coupe like c-pillar?
Old 07-18-2005, 09:19 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Kwijybo19

True, the the IS looks better. I hate the look of the Grand Prix. The design has a '90's rounded look where as today's look has taunt lines. Just my opinion.
Old 07-18-2005, 11:04 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Variants likely for upcoming Lexus IS; coupe and convertible on wish list - - By MARK RECHTIN | Automotive News - - SOurce: Autoweek

LOS ANGELES -- To field a strong BMW 3-series competitor, Toyota Motor Corp. is looking at a range of variants, such as a coupe, convertible and hybrid, for the redesigned Lexus IS 250 and IS 350, two sources say.

The company declines to confirm the plans. But Suguya Fukusato, chief engineer for the IS program, says that market demand requires variants in the future.

Fukusato says Lexus is evaluating a ragtop similar to the BMW 3 series, as well as a retractable hardtop. Fukusato says he would prefer a ragtop for the weight and space savings. He spoke at a media event here last week.

Bob Carter, general manager of Lexus Division, says an IS coupe and convertible are on the company's wish list. Carter says those variants are necessary because Lexus wants the IS lineup to compete with the BMW 3 series.

The redesigned 2006 IS sedans go on sale in October.

The IS platform architecture is shared with the GS sedans, making a hybrid variant possible as well.

The GS 450h hybrid sedan will arrive next spring, powered by a V-6 engine and two electric motors.

Fukusato says Toyota's current hybrids are too focused on fuel economy to work with a performance sedan.

"If we could make the hybrid sportier, then we could introduce a hybrid version. Every day we make progress," Fukusato says.

Another high-performance possibility: a rumored IS 460, powered by a V-8. Because the IS engine bay is almost identical to that of the GS, a V-8 could fit in the IS chassis.

But Fukusato noted that such a big engine would upset the front-rear weight bias, which is crucial to the handling of a sport sedan.

With a convertible, coupe, wagon and sedan, the BMW 3 series posted sales of 106,549 in the United States in 2004. The Lexus IS, with sedan and wagon, posted sales of 9,972 last year.
Old 07-19-2005, 03:42 AM
Instructor

With a convertible, coupe, wagon and sedan, the BMW 3 series posted sales of 106,549 in the United States in 2004. The Lexus IS, with sedan and wagon, posted sales of 9,972 last year.
WOW Lexus has some catching up to do! I didn't know BMW had such a large lead over the competition. Although, this new IS will make inroads, it'll be interesting to see just how much. The LS outsells the 7 series, so you never know...
Old 07-19-2005, 06:40 AM
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
i think the IS300 stoped competing with the 3 series after the 330i/330ci was introduced

Quick Reply: Lexus: IS News