Lexus: IS News

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2005, 06:56 PM
101 years of heartache...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wonder if it's going to remain the same size. My dad likes it, it's a nice alternative to the TL as the next car, but he doesn't like our TSX's size already; will the IS even be as big as the TSX? Personally I doubt it.
Old 03-02-2005, 07:06 PM
Safety Car

Old 03-02-2005, 07:16 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Old 03-02-2005, 07:18 PM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
Interior looks good to me... much more luxury than the 1st gen. Although i'm sure that means more weight and with only 245hp??
Old 03-02-2005, 07:19 PM
Teh ?

hmmm... for that darker interior, it would have been nice if they offered a lighter wood, like bird's eye or something...

Junkster, who thinks it looks too German when it's that dark
Old 03-02-2005, 07:47 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
Originally Posted by Junkster

Junkster, who thinks it looks too German when it's that dark
I think that was what they were aiming for. :Audi:
Old 03-02-2005, 07:48 PM
Teh ?

Originally Posted by phile
I think that was what they were aiming for. :Audi:
That's my main beef with the A4... the interior is depressing.

Junkster, who likes a bit of brightness
Old 03-02-2005, 07:51 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
I think the A8 is the only Audi where the interior color matches with the wood...the dark interior gets a dark colored wood, a light interior gets a light colored wood. Every other Audi seems to use the dark colored wood, regardless of the interior color.
Old 03-02-2005, 08:24 PM
Chloe @ 17mo

Originally Posted by Beltfed
The steering wheel reminds me of the G35's steering wheel
Old 03-03-2005, 08:54 AM
Race Director

Received 630 Likes on 506 Posts
I saw in the flesh at the show and must say it looks real nice. A few things are somewhat mis-proportioned (like side view mirrors) but overall very nice execution right down to the rear view camera over the rear plate.

Old 03-03-2005, 11:08 AM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Any more pics biker?
Old 03-03-2005, 12:51 PM
Advanced

Does anyone know approx how much would the ACC and Nav system would be? Its optional!
Old 03-03-2005, 01:02 PM
Hello!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AsianRage
The steering wheel reminds me of the G35's steering wheel
I just finished driving a G35. That is one of the cheapest steering wheels in history of man. And if you go to the Nissan website, it seems to be in every Nissan product.
Old 03-03-2005, 01:04 PM
goldmemberererer

I want my next car not to have visible air vents & maybe even a heated steering wheel (it gets so cold here in Los Angeles!). More importantly, I want it to have balls. I coulda lived with everything on this car were it not for the (purportedly) anemic V6 engine. I really like the rear & the interior though. I guess this is out.
Old 03-03-2005, 01:06 PM
Pro

My question is this. What cars compete with the TSX? I as this because from those pics, the IS is stepping things up a notch in terms of offering a little more luxuary looks as well as features.

I know that a nicely loaded IS is going to cost more then a loaded TSX, yet if the IS has the rumored HP and offers many of the Euro features then some may weigh purchasing the TSX with the IS. BMW's new 3 is in the same boat with a increase in HP and added features. Next in line will be the new C-Class.

Yes I know that options jack up prices compaired to the "one stop shop" Acura gives, Acura's cars are lacking in some "creature comfort" items. I think Acura knows this and one way to off set a sales decline would be to offer the rumored RDX's 260hp, 260 ft lbs turbo motor.
Old 03-03-2005, 02:26 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by LessisBestmakingendsmeet
I just finished driving a G35. That is one of the cheapest steering wheels in history of man. And if you go to the Nissan website, it seems to be in every Nissan product.
It's better then the current IS300's steering wheel that looks like it was designed by Nintendo.
Old 03-03-2005, 03:04 PM
Hello!

Originally Posted by Precision Crafted
My question is this. What cars compete with the TSX? I as this because from those pics, the IS is stepping things up a notch in terms of offering a little more luxuary looks as well as features.

I know that a nicely loaded IS is going to cost more then a loaded TSX, yet if the IS has the rumored HP and offers many of the Euro features then some may weigh purchasing the TSX with the IS. BMW's new 3 is in the same boat with a increase in HP and added features. Next in line will be the new C-Class.

Yes I know that options jack up prices compaired to the "one stop shop" Acura gives, Acura's cars are lacking in some "creature comfort" items. I think Acura knows this and one way to off set a sales decline would be to offer the rumored RDX's 260hp, 260 ft lbs turbo motor.
TSX competes with 9-3 and Accord/Altima. Its a rung down the ladder to the 3/C/IS etc
Originally Posted by DownUnder
It's better then the current IS300's steering wheel that looks like it was designed by Nintendo.
Sorry if you own a G35 and you got insulted. The current IS steering wheel is much better than the G35, it even has the shifters on the steering wheel. Why argue, we all know the G35 interior is simply worst in class. But damn what a great driving car.
Old 03-03-2005, 03:12 PM
Safety Car

Well, in terms of price, size, and equipment, I'd think the new IS competes directly with the new 3-Series, TL, G35, etc. When the TSX debuted, I always saw it as a near lux sub $30K car, competing in the realm that the old G20 failed in miserably. I thought it's compeition was cars like the S40; and even though they haven't debuted, one could say the new B-Class, 1-Series, and A3 will compete. All will be roughly the same size (though some are hatches, or crossovers), and pricing and engines choices will be similar.
Old 03-03-2005, 03:16 PM
fap fap fap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
TSX competes with 9-3 and Accord/Altima. Its a rung down the ladder to the 3/C/IS etc

wrong. the tsx does not compete with accord/altima. tsx is not in the midsize class and accord/altima are not in the near-luxury class. yes it does compete with the is/c230/325/s40/a4
Old 03-03-2005, 03:18 PM
Hello!

Originally Posted by Infamous425
wrong. the tsx does not compete with accord/altima. tsx is not in the midsize class and accord/altima are not in the near-luxury class. yes it does compete with the is/c230/325/s40/a4
How? its fwd, I-4 and a Euro Accord. You maybe fooled by the badge but most are not. Its a nice car, don't get me wrong, but not a near luxury car. That starts at 30k.
Old 03-03-2005, 03:24 PM
fap fap fap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
How? its fwd, I-4 and a Euro Accord. You maybe fooled by the badge but most are not. Its a nice car, don't get me wrong, but not a near luxury car. That starts at 30k.

fwd/rwd ? that doesnt define a class...its an accord in europe but its an acura here. besides, the c-class has a 4 cyl option so does the a4 and the a4 also has fwd standard
Old 03-03-2005, 03:25 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Infamous425
That's what I thought. I've read on this forum where one grip about the TSX was a lack of a memo for the driver's seat and mirrors. Then new IS has it for both front seats. In that regards about all of Acura's competitors has this feature.

I understand that Acura wants to keep its cars to a certain price point, but offering an option package like the MDX's touring in which one could get auto lights, auto wipers, memo, and adaptive cruise would sell. It just means that if you want that stuff then you'll pay more then 28k with a price below the TL. Even if the price over laps there will be those who will want the smaller car compaired to the TL.

IMO the TL should have come out of the box with more goodies such as auto headlights, auto wipers, and an 8 way pwr pass seat. The RL, as nice as it is, still lacks stuff.
Old 03-03-2005, 03:27 PM
Advanced

"The new Lexus IS offers the highest content of sophisticated, active and passive safety technology in this segment, including Lexus’ state-of-the-art Vehicle Dynamics Integrated Management (VDIM) system, and an Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC), which can automatically match the speed of the vehicle in front and, once the road ahead is clear, accelerate back up to the selected cruising speed.

The Vehicle Dynamics Integrated Management system (VDIM) employs brake pressure, steering angle, torque steer, yaw rate, G-force and vehicle speed sensors to fully integrate the new IS’ Anti-Lock Brakes (ABS), Traction Control (TRC), Vehicle Stability Control (VSC) and Electric Power Steering (EPS) systems. VDIM has been designed to act on anticipation, before the limit of the vehicle’s performance envelope has been reached, not only greatly improving active safety, but also promoting smoother “on-the-limit” vehicle behaviour through unobtrusive intervention and, hence, a more rewarding drive.

The new Pre-Crash Safety system (PCS) fitted to the IS 250 uses a millimetre-wave radar sensor to detect obstacles in front of the car. Simultaneously, ECU software monitors vehicle speed, steering angle and yaw rate inputs, as well as the position, speed and expected travelling course of all detected obstacles, to determine, in advance, whether a collision is unavoidable. If the system determines that this is the case, it will pre-emptively activate the Pre-Crash seatbelt pretensioners and will prepare the emergency Brake Assist system for immediate action, once the brake pedal is depressed.

The new IS is fitted with a powerful new braking system featuring front and rear disc brakes. High friction pads significantly improve braking efficiency from high speeds, and a variable ratio brake pedal not only affords a more progressive feel, but also a more pleasant pedal feel on emergency braking.

The new IS comes with no less than 10 airbags fitted as standard, including two multi-stage Supplemental Restraint System (SRS) front airbags, full length curtain airbags and new, enlarged, front seat side airbags, 30% bigger than previous designs. Dual knee airbags (for driver and passenger) make a first appearance in this segment.

The new Lexus’ bi-Xenon headlamp clusters also feature an Intelligent Adaptive Front-lighting System (I-AFS), which swivels one projector (covering both high and low beam function) through up to 15 degrees, helping to illuminate bends as the driver steers into them."

www.is300.net

So does this mean that the Intelligent Adaptive Front-lighting System,Pre-Crash Safety system (PCS) and the Adaptive Cruise Control are standard???
Old 03-03-2005, 03:49 PM
Drifting

Sorry if you own a G35 and you got insulted. The current IS steering wheel is much better than the G35, it even has the shifters on the steering wheel. Why argue, we all know the G35 interior is simply worst in class. But damn what a great driving car.
I didn't get insulted, your entitled to your opinion as I am to mine. BTW I owned a '01 IS300 before and the interior was worse then my '03 G35 coupe in terms of materials used and design. I liked the IS300 at the time but got tired of it real quick and got rid of it a year later. And the ‘05's G35 interior is much improved over the ’03 and a lot better then the current IS300. But the new IS looks impressive.
Old 03-03-2005, 04:03 PM
What's a TL?

Originally Posted by koolharshis

So does this mean that the Intelligent Adaptive Front-lighting System,Pre-Crash Safety system (PCS) and the Adaptive Cruise Control are standard???
I think its safe to assume that adaptive cruise control has to be an option, but that the rest will be standard. Adaptive cruise will probably be bundled in some package as it is w/ the M35/45
Old 03-03-2005, 04:05 PM
TMQ
Pro

I think some of you got it wrong. The power output for the IS350 is not released yet. And it is not even certain whether IS250 is the one to be offered in the U.S. I heard that it will still be a IS300, and maybe it will have more HP. This would make more sense for the U.S. market. I don't think people want to go down to 250 from 300. I'm sure Lexus would also want the U.S. version to have more HP than TSX.

My opinion: the current IS has quite a personality (interior), although it's too cramped. The exterior's front isn't that great. Rear is uniquely done. The 5sp MT isn't that great. When I test drove it, somehow it shifts to 5th gear several times when it was supposed to go into 3rd. The new IS looks more mainstream. I'd say the front is better than the back. I think the G35 coupe back is the best design. The language about the LF design philosophy is weird, over doing it, IMO.
Old 03-03-2005, 04:32 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by VTEC=happiness
I think its safe to assume that adaptive cruise control has to be an option, but that the rest will be standard. Adaptive cruise will probably be bundled in some package as it is w/ the M35/45
We cant get everything right?
Old 03-03-2005, 05:11 PM
Suzuka Master

Man I was expecting a more athletic look from the cgi photos. This car is bland and underpowered. 245 hp isn't going to cut it in this segment.
Old 03-03-2005, 05:17 PM
What's a TL?

I love my TL, really, I do, but I am now a member of the waiting list for the IS...meeting with the General Sales Manager at the local Lexus dealer tonight
Old 03-03-2005, 06:43 PM
Advanced

I love my TL, really, I do, but I am now a member of the waiting list for the IS...meeting with the General Sales Manager at the local Lexus dealer tonight
I dont blame you congrats
Old 03-03-2005, 07:52 PM
Safety Car

Heyy... I'm not mad at ya. Don't forget to take lots of pics of it.
Old 03-04-2005, 07:12 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by Dan Martin
Any more pics biker?
Of the IS I only took some oddballs like this:

Rather small calipers.
You'll find plenty of good photos elsewhere - Autospies has a nice collection.

It wasn't a visit so much for me to look but rather to find a car for my wife. We spent a lot of time in this car:

Old 03-04-2005, 09:13 AM
Safety Car

http://www.is300.net/gallery/data/537/1j_Z8L6903.jpg
http://www.pontiac.com/grandprix/images/bg_image3.jpg
It's interesting how Lexus has even cribbed styling detail from Pontiac, have the rear glass, swing upward severly, and leaving alot of solid door under the rear most point. Also, the door cuts go out even further on both cars (a good idea), for a larger door opening, though a quick glance with the eye just catching the glass wouldn't lead you to believe it's that big a door. It's a slick idea.
Old 03-04-2005, 09:16 AM
What's a TL?

Well, I put a deposit down on the IS last night. The delear really has no information on it at all, but did confirm that current word is still that the 3.5 liter will only be producing around 240. If the car is really released this underpowered, I'll be taking that deposit back in a hurry. Also, the dealer claims that the car will end up looking a little different than the car that was released at the European auto show this week. Apparently, there will be some more GS like cues in the IS by the time it goes into full production.
Old 03-04-2005, 09:29 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Maximized
Man I was expecting a more athletic look from the cgi photos. This car is bland and underpowered. 245 hp isn't going to cut it in this segment.
If I remember straight, the new IS is going after the new 3 since the current one failed. Lexus doesn't seem to concerned with Infiniti at this point as that company is still during itself around. The G, and FX are nice and have done well. The new M is still too new so I don't have a judgement. The Q while nice has never caught on dispite the big hp advantage is has over the LS and somewhat with BMW and M-B and the level of technology it had before anyone else such as voice recognition, 7 lenes for the head lamps that were bright enough and two of the seven were low enough that fog lights were not needed. And from what I've read, the QX is not the quality champ.

Also, remember that Nissan is playing the hp war game. It had to as it was almost an also ran. The interior materials were not that great, build quality wasn't the hottest, yet they have that VQ 3.5 in about everything with wheels.

I don't think the IS has much to worry about. Remember, it's a LEXUS.
Old 03-04-2005, 09:38 AM
At least it's not Jersey

Does the ACC use millimeter radar as it does for the PCS, or lasers like the FX? Lasers would suck! Those things always set off the the V1!
Old 03-04-2005, 09:43 AM
Race Director

I

As the Germans are finding out, the badge alone will only go so far.

That being said, the IS si quite nice. Judging from the show car in Geneva, it seems that car is about as close to production as one's gona get. Remember, the new IS will be coming off the assembly line in just 4 months - there's not much time to change stuff.
Old 03-04-2005, 09:44 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by Neech
Does the ACC use millimeter radar as it does for the PCS, or lasers like the FX? Lasers would suck! Those things always set off the the V1!
For virtually any feature on the IS look at the GS for the answer. All of the features on the IS will be copied from the GS.
Old 03-04-2005, 09:55 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by biker
As the Germans are finding out, the badge alone will only go so far.

That being said, the IS si quite nice. Judging from the show car in Geneva, it seems that car is about as close to production as one's gona get. Remember, the new IS will be coming off the assembly line in just 4 months - there's not much time to change stuff.
This is true but to a point. M-B quality has been horrible. The COMMAND system had to be scaled back due to complexity issues. I-Drive was too complicated, and some of the 7's systems crashed.

Now M-B has said the current E was the last to be built to a price point. BMW played it safe w/ the 3, and i-Drive is a little less frustrating to operate.

Lexus on the other had hasn't had a glitch. While the designs are not "romantic" as a Jags, they are not bold as in BMW. That being said the IS will do fine for the point that it has Lexus virtues. 245 is more then its main rival and it may come with a bit more bells and whistles then the 3. As long as quality stays up and technology is easy for the owner to use things will be good. Now the big telling point is whether or not Lex will continue the policy of pricing there cars less then the Germans.
Old 03-04-2005, 10:00 AM
Safety Car

If I remember straight, the new IS is going after the new 3 since the current one failed. Lexus doesn't seem to concerned with Infiniti at this point as that company is still during itself around. The G, and FX are nice and have done well. The new M is still too new so I don't have a judgement. The Q while nice has never caught on dispite the big hp advantage is has over the LS and somewhat with BMW and M-B and the level of technology it had before anyone else such as voice recognition, 7 lenes for the head lamps that were bright enough and two of the seven were low enough that fog lights were not needed. And from what I've read, the QX is not the quality champ.

Also, remember that Nissan is playing the hp war game. It had to as it was almost an also ran. The interior materials were not that great, build quality wasn't the hottest, yet they have that VQ 3.5 in about everything with wheels.

As Biker said, that badge will only go so far. The G and FX (the new guard) have been successfull, while the M may very well follow in their footsteps. The Q (last of the old guard) has never caught on, as you said, despite being a true competitor. Hopefully Infinit can fix that with the next gen Q. From what I hear, you're right on the QX. Nissan has had quality problems with all vehicles (from the Quest to the Titan) produced at the new Canton, MS. plant, QX included... hope that issue gets addressed. After seeing the M, don't count out the next gen G having a very nice interior, to go with all of it's other attributes. Basically, 245HP, a nice interior, and the Lexus badge won't mean shit if the next G also has a nice interior, the rumored 300HP+ 4.1L VQ, and the reputation the current G has already gained for itself.

Quick Reply: Lexus: IS News