Hyundai: Genesis News

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 07:27 PM
styling on you

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by charliemike
Sec ... What were the materials like? Did the car appear to be worth $30k?
Oh I wasn't there. It was on another forum I frequent. Here is the OPs impression

These where pre-production models as the car is still a few months away. The silver one was a Turbo-4, while the red model was a V6.

I gotta say the seats where nice and supportive and the car fit my 6'4" frame very, very nicely. I was shocked, as I don't seem to fit well in many asian automobiles. to Hyundai, looks as if this is going to be a great product for them.

BTW don't even make comments about the interior plastics as it was a pre-production model. Mmmmkay?!
Old 04-29-2008, 10:27 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
do want...
Old 04-29-2008, 10:33 PM
an asshole from florida

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
those cup holders <3
Old 04-29-2008, 11:02 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 236 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by joerockt
I have to say I'm very intrigued by the coupe from the review I read in one of the car rags...

No doubt it has the looks...Quality is still a question in my book...
We're getting better, one step at a time.:wink:
Old 04-29-2008, 11:04 PM
Just dial 1911

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nokiaman
We're getting better, one step at a time.:wink:
HEY, lets not go there.
Old 04-30-2008, 08:26 AM
Banned

I am pretty darn sure the build quality of the Genesis (both interior and exterior) will be better than Acura TL. Genesis = Top Notch Build Quality - Made in Korea. TL = Built in USA I own the '06 TL 6MT and know how it is on the build quality.

Last edited by Manual Transmission; 04-30-2008 at 08:30 AM.
Old 04-30-2008, 09:23 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
Originally Posted by Manual Transmission
I am pretty darn sure the build quality of the Genesis (both interior and exterior) will be better than Acura TL. Genesis = Top Notch Build Quality - Made in Korea. TL = Built in USA I own the '06 TL 6MT and know how it is on the build quality.
Americans can make good cars and you should know that working for Hyundai in Alabama!
Old 04-30-2008, 10:17 AM
Just dial 1911

Ok, I believe you.

Not sure what planet your from, but Korea isnt well known for "Top Notch Build Quality". Nor is the US.
Old 04-30-2008, 11:01 AM
Banned

Americans can make good cars and you should know that working for Hyundai in Alabama!
First of all, I don't work for Hyundai.

Even more importantly, Genesis cars are not being built in America. They are being built in Ulsan, South Korea. That's not U.S......... is it?

Even more importantly, we are talking Genesis cars, not a entire line up of Korean cars. Let's keep in topic, the Genesis.... afterall, this is a Genesis thread... not a Sonata thread. Huge difference.

Old 04-30-2008, 11:05 AM
Banned

Ok, I believe you.

Not sure what planet your from, but Korea isnt well known for "Top Notch Build Quality". Nor is the US.
I never said "Korean cars" are well known for "Top Notch Build Quality". I think, wait, I KNOW you are jumping into conclusions. There is a difference between "Korean Cars" and "Genesis cars". Please, please read the person's post carefully before making assumptions.
Old 04-30-2008, 11:11 AM
Just dial 1911

I never said "Korean cars" are well known for "Top Notch Build Quality". I think, wait, I KNOW you are jumping into conclusions. There is a difference between "Korean Cars" and "Genesis cars". Please, please read the person's post carefully before making assumptions.
You know damn well what you were implying.

See, this is exactly why I go off on threads like this. Blind nationalism bugs the shit out of me.
Old 04-30-2008, 11:15 AM
Punk Rocker

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
Are they gonna offer nav on this thing???
Old 04-30-2008, 11:16 AM
What Would Don Draper Do?

Originally Posted by majin ssj eric
Are they gonna offer nav on this thing???
Originally Posted by Pure Adrenaline
This Genesis sedan seems to be a full U.S. spec version with back-up camera, U.S. navigation system, etc.

EDIT: i think you're asking about the coupe...dunno. hope so.
Old 04-30-2008, 11:19 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
How about we hold off quality discussions until these things are for sale.
Old 04-30-2008, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by dom

PA, how long do you suspect you'll have to wait to get one after you put your name down on the list?

and what kind of discounts do you get? just curious...
Old 04-30-2008, 11:32 AM
That was uncalled for...

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by JediMindTricks

...also, is this discount transferrable to family members/ Acurazine members as well?

Old 04-30-2008, 11:34 AM
Just dial 1911

Originally Posted by dom
Agreed.
Old 04-30-2008, 12:39 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by SeCsTaC

Old 04-30-2008, 12:45 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

First of all, I don't work for Hyundai.

Even more importantly, Genesis cars are not being built in America. They are being built in Ulsan, South Korea. That's not U.S......... is it?

Even more importantly, we are talking Genesis cars, not a entire line up of Korean cars. Let's keep in topic, the Genesis.... afterall, this is a Genesis thread... not a Sonata thread. Huge difference.

I can't keep everyone straight ... ROFL ... My bad.

You can't make a blanket statement like the Genesis will be better because it's not made in America when there are good cars made here.
Old 04-30-2008, 01:16 PM
Banned

I can't keep everyone straight ... ROFL ... My bad.
It's aight.

You can't make a blanket statement like the Genesis will be better because it's not made in America when there are good cars made here.
Well, it's kind of 60% blanket statement...

A lot of Japanese cars, namely Toyota and Honda, have gone down in build quality since they've been making them in America. There has been so many reports of transmission problems and other annoying issues. The interior also feels cheap when you examine them. To get a true well built cars you need to fly over to Japan and get a Honda or Toyota there. Or fly to Korea and pickup a Genesis if you want it now.

A lot of American cars are built like crap. Not all, but a lot of them, or say, majority of them. Don't get yourself too much pride being made in America. These union works are messed up man...
Old 04-30-2008, 01:21 PM
Just dial 1911

It's aight.

Well, it's kind of 60% blanket statement...

A lot of Japanese cars, namely Toyota and Honda, have gone down in build quality since they've been making them in America. There has been so many reports of transmission problems and other annoying issues. The interior also feels cheap when you examine them. To get a true well built cars you need to fly over to Japan and get a Honda or Toyota there. Or fly to Korea and pickup a Genesis if you want it now.

A lot of American cars are built like crap. Not all, but a lot of them, or say, majority of them. Don't get yourself too much pride being made in America. These union works are messed up man...
The TSX, built completely in Japan, had its share of problems...People were ready to slit their wrists over rattles.
Old 04-30-2008, 01:32 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

The TSX, built completely in Japan, had its share of problems...People were ready to slit their wrists over rattles.
Not to mention people just associate the Accord with built in America and not because they've had to cut costs due to the busted fucking dollar.
Old 04-30-2008, 01:40 PM
Banned

Tell me something I don't know. I knew TSX is built in Japan. I found that out 2 years ago.

Even MORE importantly, rattles don't mean jack. It doesn't fall under mechanical failures such as engine and transmission like American cars have most of the time. The reason why you get rattles on the TSX is due to using more plastics and applied less of padding during the interior build process. It's the same with the Lexus IS250 and 350. They are made in Japan but has some rattles.

EVEN More and more importantly, having rattles doesn't mean it's a crap car. You get engine and transmission problem then it's called "crap" car.

Don't use rattle for an excuse. Nice try though.
Old 04-30-2008, 01:43 PM
Banned

Not to mention people just associate the Accord with built in America and not because they've had to cut costs due to the busted fucking dollar.
They have to do that on the TSX because it is the lower-end than the top of the line Acura RL or Honda's equivalent flagship model.

But ultimately, having engine and transmission problems due to crap design/engineering, and craftsmanship in America, they result in f#@k'ed up car....

Old 04-30-2008, 01:43 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Tell me something I don't know. I knew TSX is built in Japan. I found that out 2 years ago.

Even MORE importantly, rattles don't mean jack. It doesn't fall under mechanical failures such as engine and transmission like American cars have most of the time. The reason why you get rattles on the TSX is due to using more plastics and applied less of padding during the interior build process. It's the same with the Lexus IS250 and 350. They are made in Japan but has some rattles.

EVEN More and more importantly, having rattles doesn't mean it's a crap car. You get engine and transmission problem then it's called "crap" car.

Build quality has always included squeaks, rattles, and such ... In fact, to me that is far more relevant that busted parts. That has nothing to do with how the car was assembled unless the transmissions are failing because they were put in wrong (which they are not).

Damn you for making me agree with jokerocket.
Old 04-30-2008, 01:45 PM
Banned

Here comes the ultimate and coolest statement. I would take a rattle car over a rattle-free car known to have engine and transmission problems any day. Rattle is nothing........
Old 04-30-2008, 01:46 PM
Just dial 1911

That's just one example, boss. Lights would go out on the entire HVAC, Warping Rotors, AC compressor dying or getting destroyed because they put it in a bad spot. Sure, the trannys and engine were without serious problems, but so was the 7th Gen Accord, made in the US.
Old 04-30-2008, 05:22 PM
styling on you

BACK ON TOPIC DAMN IT!

Can anyone spot Flappy Paddles on this bad boy? (flame suit on) but I think paddles would be a great minor addition to the car.

Old 04-30-2008, 05:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,858 Likes on 14,004 Posts
Threads merged.
Old 04-30-2008, 07:21 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Ough... Yellow !!

Where's the rest of those pics ?? I didn't think I've seen the gencoupe in yellow yet...
Old 04-30-2008, 09:24 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Here comes the ultimate and coolest statement. I would take a rattle car over a rattle-free car known to have engine and transmission problems any day. Rattle is nothing........
Liar liar pants on fire!
Old 04-30-2008, 10:12 PM
Banned

^ I never said I don't lie.....

That yella Coupe looks nice. Got some more pics? I wanna see the rest. Ya got some pics with cute Korean gals too?

Last edited by Manual Transmission; 04-30-2008 at 10:14 PM.
Old 04-30-2008, 10:34 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by JediMindTricks

PA, how long do you suspect you'll have to wait to get one after you put your name down on the list?

It depends on the vehicle. It's hard to tell on the Coupe at the moment, but as important as our Team Members are to the company, we have to meet the market demand first. It could take a few months to be allocated a vehicle immediately upon release of a new model.

We have two types of discount programs. One is for Team Members and direct family members and the second program is for family and friends. The former offers a rather considerable discount whereas the second one offers typically a couple of points below invoice.

To answer other questions -- Yes, this is the actual vehicle used at the NY auto show. No, I have been too busy to get the pictures up. But I see that someone posted pictures of the red and silver duo and that's pretty much it. You won't be seeing anything new in my photos.

My opinion on foreign brand cars built in the U.S. - it depends on the plant and their quality of operation. Just because it is built in the U.S. it does not mean their quality is inferior to their counterparts built overseas. Our Alabama plant and Asan plant in Korea are sister plants and one is not considerably better or worse than the other. The Santa Fe we build in Alabama was recently chosen as a Best Pick by Consumer Reports over competitor vehicles from Toyota, Honda, Nissan, GM, Ford, Chrysler, Mazda, etc.

Our Ulsan plant is the single largest manufacturing facility in the world, bar none, with an annual production capacity of 1.6 million vehicles with docking stations on site for cargo ships exporting to over 190 countries directly from there. Their quality is top notch.

Keep in mind that whether a plant is located here or overseas, everybody cares about quality. It just depends on each plant and their operation. Some have their stuff together; others need to make improvements.

For instance, GM produces their trucks in Canada, Mexico and the U.S. My first car was a '97 Tahoe LT and the same model was built at those 3 different locations all with different levels of quality. Toss them dice and take a gamble. Or be smart and look at the VIN for production location before you choose the actual car you want to buy.

Old 05-01-2008, 01:49 AM
styling on you

Hey Pure Adrenaline

do you think that the coupe will offer paddle shifters as an option for the automatic? just curious
Old 05-01-2008, 02:28 AM
styling on you

Old 05-01-2008, 08:58 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Nice looking paint (even if the color is a bit off-putting).
Old 05-01-2008, 11:14 AM
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

this is supposed to be presenting at pusan auto show.. notice the chrome grill
Old 05-01-2008, 11:17 AM

yea....i'm liking those wheels A LOT.
Old 05-01-2008, 11:57 AM
Banned

Finally Hyundai has taken one step farther.... by using a chrome grill on the Coupe. That will make the car 300% better. The cheapness will be reduced by impressive 300%. Good move.

.... and thanks for the pics, yohan81718.
Old 05-01-2008, 12:15 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Is it me, or is the grille wider?

Quick Reply: Hyundai: Genesis News