View Poll Results: What do you like Better?
Accord Concept Rims and Bodykit
73.97%
2004 Acura TL A-Spec Bodykit and Rims
26.03%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Honda: Accord News

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 03:51 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
^ Seriously, I've seen at most 2 Accord sedans now, 0 coupe sightings.
Old 11-03-2007, 07:52 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,400 Likes on 704 Posts
Question Luxury Car

My friend, who is not a car enthusiast, just happened to mention that she wants a new car so I commented that the new Accord was out. Her response was:

"I saw one of those on the road - they are NICE! It looks like a luxury car..."

The new TSX/TL better be fly to compete w/ the Accord since I consider her opinion an unbiased reflection of Joe Average ....

Old 11-04-2007, 07:36 PM
tehLEGOman

Received 1,982 Likes on 1,335 Posts
...saw a silver v6 accord coupe at my work the other week and it almost had the same effect as seeing the 3rd gen TL for the first time. That baby was pretty..had the oem lip kit.
Old 11-05-2007, 08:25 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,666 Likes on 930 Posts
I had a chance to check out the coupe (AV6 6MT) in person yesterday (without salespeople to hassle me) and happen luck upon one that was unlocked. It is a hot looking car and seriously sexier than any 7G:

** That is my AV6 next to the coupe and pardon the lack of picture clarity; it was taken via my LG Chocolate phone .
Old 11-05-2007, 11:04 AM
What Would Don Draper Do?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thanks for the pics. accord coupe is hot.
Old 11-05-2007, 03:44 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not quite 2-Tone

Originally Posted by AsianRage
Eliminate the two tone paint job and you get a WINNARR!!!!!
That's not paint, that's carbon fiber, and I'm sure getting that painted would be an option but...
Old 11-05-2007, 08:48 PM
The hair says it all

I have seen a few coupes and a bunch of sedans. Def looks better, the coupe especially.
Old 11-05-2007, 10:48 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by TL CHROMETIDE
Honda is lagging on my Accord! Sorry, just had to let that out.

By the way: So far I've only seen 5 Accord Sedans on the road and 1 Accord Coupe. I'm glad these are still low key.
How long do you really think an Accord will stay low key?
Old 11-06-2007, 01:02 AM
To punish and enslave

Originally Posted by MR1
How long do you really think an Accord will stay low key?
Yeah, I know what you mean but I expected this thing to blow up big already. I've seen way more Altima coupes than any of the new Accords.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:51 AM

same here. i've only seen one accord coupe on the road and about 6-7 sedans.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:52 AM
Instructor

Honda has restrained the coupe considerably. We order 225-250 Accords per month and are lucky to get 15-20 coupes. Don't know why?? Also the v6 is way outselling the exl 4cyl and Honda was expecting more people to buy the 190hp 4cyl. So a few adjustment in production are in order. We sell ours at 700 to 1500 off depending on model, we are a one price store.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:13 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,666 Likes on 930 Posts
Originally Posted by Stevens24
Honda has restrained the coupe considerably. We order 225-250 Accords per month and are lucky to get 15-20 coupes. Don't know why?? Also the v6 is way outselling the exl 4cyl and Honda was expecting more people to buy the 190hp 4cyl. So a few adjustment in production are in order. We sell ours at 700 to 1500 off depending on model, we are a one price store.
In general, how was the initial sales flow on the 7G?
Old 11-06-2007, 10:17 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Sorry if this was discussed but can anyone comment on why Honda power figures were reduced from 273 to 268 on the V6 and 200 to 190 on the 4. Seems all early publications and reviews posted the higher figures but they later changed. Was it just a matter of the engines really not making that much power or did Honda intentionally lower them or maybe lower them on paper only? A 10HP loss on the 4 was significant IMO.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:59 AM
Race Director

Received 630 Likes on 506 Posts
Originally Posted by dom
Sorry if this was discussed but can anyone comment on why Honda power figures were reduced from 273 to 268 on the V6 and 200 to 190 on the 4. Seems all early publications and reviews posted the higher figures but they later changed. Was it just a matter of the engines really not making that much power or did Honda intentionally lower them or maybe lower them on paper only? A 10HP loss on the 4 was significant IMO.
So they can be bumped up come MMC. I'm sure a simple firmware change in the ECU could produce those numbers.
Old 11-06-2007, 03:11 PM
To punish and enslave

I thought it was because of the switch over to SAE net ratings.
Old 11-06-2007, 03:56 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by TL CHROMETIDE
I thought it was because of the switch over to SAE net ratings.

That was done for 06.
Old 11-07-2007, 07:38 PM
Racer

V6/MT coupe seems to be the way...hub h/p and Tq

http://www.vtec.net/articles/view-ar...icle_id=719873
Old 11-14-2007, 07:13 PM
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Comparison Test: 2008 Honda Accord Coupe vs. 2008 Nissan Altima Coupe

Honda Recoups Fun-to-Drive

By Chris Walton, Chief Road Test Editor
Date posted: 11-11-2007

Nissan has been getting its fair share of attention with the 2008 Nissan Altima Coupe. Based on the 2007 Nissan Altima Sedan, the Altima coupe gets our attention, too. Great-looking, aggressively tuned and reasonably priced — not to mention quicker than you might think — this coupe has some of the hot-rod soul that you expect in a Nissan.

Then Honda crashed Nissan's party with the 2008 Honda Accord Sedan and Coupe. The 2008 Honda Accord Coupe brought us an epiphany. As we said sarcastically when we first drove it, "An Accord coupe can do your income taxes. If you need a root canal, Accord coupe is your car...but humpin' and pumpin' is not an Accord coupe's strong suit." And yet we realized that this isn't the Accord coupe we remember — it's fun. The Accord coupe proves that Honda knows how to put some life into a car built from a sedate sedan.

Wimpy no more, these two Japanese-brand coupes are trying hard to send a real message with the power under the hood, the tingle in the steering wheel and even the look of the sheet metal.

Transmitting a Message
These smaller-than-sedan passenger packages are both available with either inline-4 or V6 engine choices. We took the V6 enhancement for both of them; the choice you'd make if you were serious about driving.

We also chose a row-your-own six-speed gearbox for these cars. The truth is that very few of these cars will actually be sold this way. The vast majority of gearchanges in both Accord and Altima V6 coupes will be done via automatic transmissions (a traditional five-speed auto in the Accord and a continuously variable automatic in the Altima). We'd even argue that the Accord and Altima coupes are better cars with automatic transmissions — more poised, more refined, and in the Accord Coupe's case, slightly more fuel efficient.

Yet there's interest in the manual-transmission variants of these cars. Honda tells us that it expects 4,000 of the 20,000 2008 Accord V6 Coupes will come equipped with the manual transmission. Nissan says about 36,000 Altima coupes will hit the road, but less than 1,000 SE V6s will come equipped with a manual transmission.

Two Powerful Front-Drivers
The 3.5-liter SOHC V6 in the Accord produces 268 horsepower at 6,200 rpm, while the 3.5-liter DOHC V6 under the Altima's hood is good for 270 hp at 6,000 rpm. Despite the edge in torque output that the Nissan V6's 258 pound-feet has over the Honda's 248 lb-ft, the Accord feels as if it is the twist-meister here.

As we drove through the mountains to our test track, the Honda easily pulled the inclines at low rpm in 3rd gear. And thanks to new dynamic engine mounts, this V6 is smoother and quieter than the VQ-powered Nissan, too. That's something we never thought we'd write about an Accord.

Neither of these cars exhibits the kind of torque-steer effect you might expect with a powerful V6 driving the front tires. It seems that by either limiting engine torque with the miracle of the drive-by-wire throttle or utilizing proper driveline geometry, the usual right-hand steering-wheel isometric exercise to counter torque steer is a thing of the past.

At the dragstrip, these evenly matched engines produced nearly identical results despite as-tested weights that barely favored the 3,260-pound Altima by 138 pounds. The Altima made it first to 60 mph in 6.2 seconds, while the Accord trailed by a tenth of a second at 6.3 seconds. Once the quarter-mile arrived, the Accord had inched ahead with a run of 14.6 seconds at 101.6 mph, as the Altima trailed behind with an effort of 14.7 seconds at 99.2 mph.

A Not-So-Funny Thing Happened on the Way to Coupeville
We'll come right out and say we proudly own a 2007 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE with the CVT transmission as part of our long-term test fleet. A quick glance at its blog entries reveals that its formidable presentation, sporty ride and handling, ultraslick CVT and powerful engine all get very positive reviews.

So what the heck happened to this Altima coupe? A bolt had gone missing from the base of the Altima's center armrest that let it flop around, and sheared bolts within the pinch-stops on the driver's door allowed it to swing willy-nilly without resistance from detents.

The Altima's driveline also proved to be something of a mess. Clutch uptake was sticky and unpredictable. The transmission shift linkage felt like it was made of cartilage, and quickly moving the long-throw shifter felt as if we were dislocating the leg of some small animal. Eeew. The engine rocked in its spongy mounts, and each acceleration run produced so much drivetrain lash that the little barn door for the cubby at the base of the center stack popped open.

The Altima coupe's suspension tuning doesn't suit us at all. It's oversprung and underdamped, so the car hops over every pavement seam, then thumps against its damper bumpstops on the other side. Afterwards, the Altima refuses to settle down for some time, and once it does, another seam or pothole inevitably presents itself.

On the skid pad, the Altima coupe predictably posted the same lateral acceleration numbers as every Altima has before, with its Bridgestone Turanza EL400 tires (P215/55R17) finding terminal understeer at 0.81g. This Altima coupe couldn't come close to the faster, more controlled slalom speed of previous Altima sedans we've tested, however. This coupe rolled like a dog looking for a free belly scratch and it even lifted its inside tires off the ground at each cone.

Showing Some Self-Control
Whereas the Altima coupe bucked and protested as it ran up and down the test track, the Accord coupe was the picture of poise. With the exception of a rather tricky launch during acceleration tests and insufficient brake cooling, the Honda could have sped through the remainder of the track and road testing with us sitting on one hand.

The Accord's well-oiled shift linkage feels like just a more robust variant of what we'd expect to find in the enthusiast-oriented Civic Si. The variable-ratio power steering actually gives you a sense of what the front wheels are doing while the chassis makes child's play of both the skid pad and slalom courses. And we were happy to discover that this is one of a precious few Honda products whose Michelin Pilot HXMXM4 tires (P235/45R18) don't give up before an otherwise competent chassis does.

The 2008 Honda Accord Coupe not only outperforms the Nissan Altima coupe, but also easily surpasses the performance of previous Accord sedans and coupes.

Around town, the Accord coupe's ride is firm and sure-footed, and the car never produces the kind of storefront 10-cent pony ride that we feel in the Altima. The cabin remains quiet and hushed even as speeds increase, a testament to the Accord's efficient aero package and solid construction.

Of course, things were different when it came to braking performance. The Altima's four-wheel discs and tires were consistently mediocre in this testing, and produced stops that hovered around 135 feet without evidence of fading. The Accord's four-wheel discs and tires produced only one good stop from 60 mph with an effort of 128 feet, and the car's stopping distances grew as the brakes heated and faded noticeably. The third quarter-mile run at more than 100 mph was particularly memorable, as the brake system couldn't generate enough brake pressure to lock the tires sufficiently to even elicit a response from the ABS. Yikes.

It's Bigger Than It Looks, Really
Compared to their sedan counterparts, both of these blue coupes have endured several inches of embarrassing shrinkage. The Altima is apparently more susceptible to the cold hands of the reengineering process and contracts to a greater extent than the Accord in its sedan-to-coupe alteration.

Relative to each another, the Accord coupe is 8.4 inches longer from nose to tail, and its axles are 2.6 inches farther apart than those of the Altima coupe. The roof of the Accord coupe is about an inch higher off the ground, but its overall width is more than 2 inches greater than the Altima's.

Inside, the passenger accommodations of these two coupes are again eerily similar, varying by just fractions of an inch with the exception of front and rear shoulder room (where the Accord has a sizable advantage). Perhaps this is why it's easier to get in and out of the Accord's front and rear seats, and indeed the Honda's seats themselves are better contoured and more comfortable than those of the Nissan.

In the end, the Accord comes off smaller on the outside, yet bigger and more comfortable on the inside. This trait even extends to the trunk, where the Accord's admirable 11.9 cubic feet is both larger and more sensibly shaped than the Altima's mere 7.4-cubic-foot cargo hold that's accessed through an awkwardly shaped opening. Part of this volumetric disparity might come from the fact that the Accord carries a space-saver spare tire under the carpeted trunk mat, while the Altima has a full-size spare. Also, the Altima's rear audio speakers are located in the rear parcel shelf and hang down intrusively into the trunk space.

Riffing on a Theme
While the two coupes are parked alongside one another, you can't help but notice how similarly sized and shaped they are. It's as if both Honda and Nissan were given the same lozenge-shaped lump of modeling clay and asked to shape a coupe from it.

It appears Honda spent more time on the character of the Accord. There are far more daring slashes and contours that generate more visual interest than those of the relatively slab-sided Altima. We really liked the looks of the Altima coupe until we saw the Accord coupe. Same tune, better arrangement.

Those differences extend to the interior as well. The Altima's cabin is unmistakably Nissan, largely a derivative of the sedan. But the Accord's goes a step or two beyond what we expected and is far more interesting than what you find in the Accord sedan.

Picking a Winner
Even if this Accord coupe were more expensive than this Altima coupe, we think you'd be able to deduce our winner here.

Problem is that to compete on content, the 2008 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE Coupe's $25,595 base price had to be inflated to $29,490 with the $3,200 premium package and $600 optional stability control system. That means the 2008 Honda Accord EX-L V6's $28,945 base (and as-tested) price merely serves to underscore this coupe's overall superiority in this contest.

Perhaps we got a broken, tired or used-up Altima. Perhaps the contest should've been conducted with automatic transmissions. Perhaps this is an irrelevant contest. Anyway you look at it, however, the 2008 Honda Accord Coupe felt like it was engineered, designed and built to an entirely different, higher and better standard.

No contest. The Accord coupe is the one that's left, and the one that's right.
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=123357
Old 11-14-2007, 08:28 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Wow. Altima = Thoroughly
Old 11-15-2007, 12:55 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
^^ No kidding!
Old 11-15-2007, 07:11 AM
Race Director

Honda should make another Acura coupe to compete with the G37, but nooo!

I think Nissan just rushed the Altima coupe. If I were Nissan, I would've made a Maxima coupe instead.

I still haven't seen the new Accord coupe on the road yet, dang it! I've seen the sedan and I'm not impressed by it especially the rear of it, looks like an American car.
Old 11-15-2007, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by 04EuroAccordTsx

I think Nissan just rushed the Altima coupe. If I were Nissan, I would've made a Maxima coupe instead.

I still haven't seen the new Accord coupe on the road yet, dang it! I've seen the sedan and I'm not impressed by it especially the rear of it, looks like an American car.
2. i think it's nicely put together and a good looking car overall, inside and out.

but maybe they did rush it out to start selling them before the new accords.
Old 11-15-2007, 09:44 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I don't think a Maxima coupe would sell as well as the Altima coupe. Coupes sell in numbers only a fraction of their sedan counterparts, and since the Altima sedan sells much better than the Maxima, chances are sales of an Altima coupe will be higher than a Maxima coupe...not to mention the fact that there really is no market for a "Maxima coupe" since there's no Avalon coupe or Ford 500 (or taurus or whatever) coupe. Maybe the Monte Carlo?

As for an Acura coupe...yeah right. The Altima coupe is a FWD coupe competing with other FWD coupes in its market...makes perfectly logical sense. If Acura designed a coupe, it would be a FWD coupe to compete with RWD coupes in that market segment.

This makes about as much sense as:

Old 11-15-2007, 10:40 AM
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by mrdeeno
If Acura designed a coupe, it would be a FWD coupe to compete with RWD coupes in that market segment.
+1

hyundai, here i come...
Old 11-15-2007, 12:06 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by 04EuroAccordTsx
Acura coupe

FWD lux sport coupe FTL

Acura already did this...it lasted 3 years....it FAILED.
Old 11-15-2007, 12:10 PM
Pinky all stinky

^ More than 3 years. The CL made it to a 2nd generation
Old 11-16-2007, 10:22 AM
Race Director

Received 630 Likes on 506 Posts
Honda released the Accord in the Gulf this week and saw one the road already here in Riyadh. According to the press release Honda expects to sell 20K units during the MY - wouldn't that make this the second biggest market behind the US?
Old 11-16-2007, 10:50 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by phile
^ More than 3 years. The CL made it to a 2nd generation
psttt....Their last attempt...being the last gen.
Old 11-16-2007, 02:11 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
Acura coupe

FWD lux sport coupe FTL

Acura already did this...it lasted 3 years....it FAILED.
Yes it did, but maybe this time Honda will finally make a RWD version, but somehow I don't see that happening.

There is the rumored FWD TSX coupe coming out.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:11 PM
Pinky all stinky

Edmunds love the new Accord. It topped all other V6 sedans in the midsize comparo, the coupe topped the Altima coupe, and now with the 4-cylinder comparo, it also came out on top.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=124091

It's pretty interesting to see the Camry was the "fastest" of the group and got the best mileage.
Old 01-03-2008, 12:56 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
FWD TSX sport coupe... woo woo! Not... It may have a reworked RDX engine, etc. etc. but in the end, it will be FWD.

A new Acura sport luxury coupe?

A new RWD Acura sport luxury coupe?

There's a better chance of a shit-storm of diarrhea in Lake Minnetonka in the middle of July. In other words: dream on. At least by the time Acura creates such a car, it will be way too late or they'll miss out on the RWD craze.
Old 01-03-2008, 11:52 AM
luvs redheads!

Originally Posted by I Go To Costco
FWD TSX sport coupe... woo woo! Not... It may have a reworked RDX engine, etc. etc. but in the end, it will be FWD.

A new Acura sport luxury coupe?

A new RWD Acura sport luxury coupe?

There's a better chance of a shit-storm of diarrhea in Lake Minnetonka in the middle of July. In other words: dream on. At least by the time Acura creates such a car, it will be way too late or they'll miss out on the RWD craze.
Acura=luxury, hence the creation of the brand.
Acura is adding a new coupe to there lineup hence spy shots.
And acura went back to the drawing board and probably will be offering a RWD version of the neo-NSX which is aiming at the DB9.

So please come back when your opinions are well more than just opinions with no factual basis. Also FWD cant be all that bad, look at RTR TSX'x poll positions each season.
Old 01-03-2008, 11:56 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

It's pretty interesting to see the Camry was the "fastest" of the group and got the best mileage.

So much for VCM.
Old 01-03-2008, 01:29 PM
fap fap fap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

its also the ugliest inside & out and does the best imitation of a buick
Old 01-04-2008, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by swift22
Acura=luxury, hence the creation of the brand.
Acura is adding a new coupe to there lineup hence spy shots.
And acura went back to the drawing board and probably will be offering a RWD version of the neo-NSX which is aiming at the DB9.

So please come back when your opinions are well more than just opinions with no factual basis. Also FWD cant be all that bad, look at RTR TSX'x poll positions each season.
I can never get away with sarcasm without using red text...... I didn't quote him, but my post was directed towards 04EuroAccordTSX's post about a possible RWD CL replacement.

Yes I have seen the NSX development mule that looks like an S2000. That is OLD news. And the Realtime Racing TSXs are all-out circuit car. I can't judge it for myself though, I have no "factual basis" because I've never driven a RTR TSX before, nor have I any idea why you would use the example of a SCCA-prepped race car (which is stripped and devoid of all unnecessary amenities) in order to vouch for a drivetrain platform in general, while we are talking about production cars.

Not a fact or opinion... merely an observation. Most of the enthusiasts on this site who have driven different FWD, RWD and AWD vehicles tend to prefer RWD barring weather conditions... me being one of them.

In all seriousness its just prodding so hopefully the Acura goonies spying on our forums will see what we want and make such a product
Old 01-05-2008, 03:20 PM
luvs redheads!

Originally Posted by I Go To Costco
I can never get away with sarcasm without using red text...... I didn't quote him, but my post was directed towards 04EuroAccordTSX's post about a possible RWD CL replacement.

Yes I have seen the NSX development mule that looks like an S2000. That is OLD news. And the Realtime Racing TSXs are all-out circuit car. I can't judge it for myself though, I have no "factual basis" because I've never driven a RTR TSX before, nor have I any idea why you would use the example of a SCCA-prepped race car (which is stripped and devoid of all unnecessary amenities) in order to vouch for a drivetrain platform in general, while we are talking about production cars.

Not a fact or opinion... merely an observation. Most of the enthusiasts on this site who have driven different FWD, RWD and AWD vehicles tend to prefer RWD barring weather conditions... me being one of them.

In all seriousness its just prodding so hopefully the Acura goonies spying on our forums will see what we want and make such a product
Like the white text
Old 01-06-2008, 08:17 PM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 697 Likes on 418 Posts
Originally Posted by biker
Honda released the Accord in the Gulf this week and saw one the road already here in Riyadh. According to the press release Honda expects to sell 20K units during the MY - wouldn't that make this the second biggest market behind the US?
I'm pretty sure they'll sell more than that in Canada.
Old 01-07-2008, 03:19 PM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,763 Likes on 2,538 Posts
I like the new accord a little better when I see it looking like this.

Thursday, December 20, 2007
Mugen Tweaks The 2008 Honda Accord / Inspire

As usual, Mugen didn’t waste its time at all and as soon as Honda introduced the JDM (Japanese Domestic Market) version of the Accord called Inspire -see details and pics here, it came out with a full range of accessories. For those looking to upgrade the Inspire’s exterior looks, Mugen’s aerokit consists of a front sports grille, side skirts, front and rear aprons, an exhaust system with 4 outlets and a large rear wing. In terms of wheels, Mugen offers a set of 18-inch 10-spoke alloy-wheels available in four different shades. -Continued after the jump

For the time being, Mugen’s list for the interior consists only of a set of aluminium pedals, but we gather that the Japanese tuner will offer more accessories later on. In terms of mechanical upgrades, there’s a new sport suspension kit and new brake rotors and pads.

http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2007/12...d-inspire.html

Last edited by CCColtsicehockey; 01-07-2008 at 03:23 PM.
Old 01-07-2008, 04:05 PM

^I think your car looks great but that Mugen Inspire has to be the fugliest 8th gen Accord I've seen yet.
Old 01-07-2008, 05:32 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

That Mugen version makes a vanilla car like the Accord Sedan look purely UGLY!!!!

Quick Reply: Honda: Accord News