Acura: ZDX News

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 01:35 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
This.

Basically, Acura knows the ZDX is a low-volume niche car on which they can make loads of profit as it platform-shares with the MDX and Pilot. It will sell little, but still make money for Acura. I guess that's OK by me

I hope Acura is doing the same--this once and (perhaps) future customer is waiting.

I was writing the following section for another purpose, but I'll add it here (I also posted it on a TL thread and am continuing to refine it). It details what I think the roadmap was to be for the brand. The following is laced with facts, speculation and opinion. I’ll try to be clear which is which.

The NSX replacement: Fact: the car was essentially finished. There are running prototype(s) complete with a V-10 engine and 500+ hp. The car was at the last prototype stage before the orders were placed for tooling and dies needed to begin a production run (this is a key point).

Speculation: Judging from what has been seen, the car would have been a front mid-engined car that would have also served as the basis for the next generation RL. The longitudinal engine placement would have required a new transmission. Evidenced by what we’ve seen (heard actually) at the ‘ring, and the new DCT motorcycle transmission, it would have been a new dual clutch transmission.

This would have served as the basis for the unique Acura chassis that has been talked about. Maybe the engine in this car also would have debuted the Advanced VTEC that has been under development? Longitudinal placement would have allowed engines of virtually any configuration to be used. V-10, V-8, V-6 and maybe even an I4. However, I don't think this would have been RWD only. I believe these would have been a rear biased AWD setup to allow the brand to present a unified marketing message. What good would it do to have a RWD ubercar and then try to sell AWD cars?

The ZDX. Fact: This car was conceived up to 3-4 years ago. A prototype was shown to dealers in New Orleans in the middle of 2008 (18 months prior to introduction?). At this time, SUVs were still on everybody’s shopping list. The production tooling and dies were already made when the economy tanked.

Speculation: Since everything was ready to go, and the cost of setting up the assembly line was already spent, it makes sense to go ahead with production. While we have the benefit if 20/20 hindsight, when the project started, it probably made sense. And FWIW, work on this must have begun well before the first shots of the X6 surfaced, so I doubt this is a copy. More likely, both BMW and Honda independently recognized a potential niche and pursued it.

The RL, TL and TSX: Fact the current versions of these cars were conceived in response to perceived shortcomings in the brands mainstream sedans. Specifically that they are all FWD, the TSX needed a V-6, and the constant reviews that harp on the 'bland' styling. Within the working parameters of how Honda builds cars, SH-AWD allows them to move away from exclusively offering FWD.

Speculation: This generation TL would have been the last one to use the Accord chassis. With the next gen NSX chassis ready, when the TL received its next full model change (FMC) it would have joined up with the RL and NSX. The timing would have been perfect. NSX 2011-2, RL 2012-3 and the TL in 2014. This would have given it a balanced chassis, a dual clutch transmission, and a unique, non-Accord unit body. IMO, the TSX would continue as the entry level sedan with an Accord based chassis and FWD.

The key to the success of this strategy was that the NSX (or whatever they name it) debut first, allowing the RL, TL and (assumed) sport coupe to share a chassis with the top of the line. IMO, doing it any other way would ruin the opportunity. Can you imagine the press and internet wags complaining that the new $120K supercar is using the chassis from the TL? With the NSX project on hold, it remains to be seen how they find a way to introduce the next generation of chassis'.
Old 10-01-2009, 05:22 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
He questioned the logic of developing for a shrinking market with limited resources.

Sound familiar? Sounds a lot like the new Honda CEO's answer to V8/FR platforms, which is that they won't develop for a shrinking market.

These are interesting times, indeed.
Somehow I don't see BMW et all dumping RWD and moving to FWD. V8's are another issue. But IMO technology will find a way, it always does.
Old 10-01-2009, 06:04 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by dom
Somehow I don't see BMW et all dumping RWD and moving to FWD. V8's are another issue. But IMO technology will find a way, it always does.
Yeah, it would cost them as much money as it costs Honda to move to RWD. Essentially, beginning a new platform today, would be a risky proposition for anyone. What cars will we need 4-5 years from now?
Old 10-01-2009, 09:07 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts
BMW won't drop RWD because that is part of what defines BMW. If they did, their core customers would riot!

By the way, Colin really had an excellent post!
Old 10-02-2009, 08:57 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Originally Posted by jhr3uva90
BMW won't drop RWD because that is part of what defines BMW. If they did, their core customers would riot!

By the way, Colin really had an excellent post!
+1 on both points.

Also, it would cost lots of money for BMW or MBZ to make a new FWD platform.
Old 10-02-2009, 10:43 AM
The Third Ball

Received 4,834 Likes on 2,576 Posts
Originally Posted by jhr3uva90
The only flagships that will sell will be the German brands, although Lexus might sell a handful of LS sedans.

The LS is the 2nd best selling flagship sedan.

The S Class from Merc is the first.

You make good points...but this one is in accurate.
Old 10-02-2009, 10:59 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Also, BMW and MB aren't dumb enough to make a new FWD platform.
Fixed.
Old 10-02-2009, 11:09 AM
Three Wheelin'

Yes, Lexus LS might sell well relative to the BMW 7 Series (which sold 739 units in September), but it only sold 777 units in September 2009, making it Lexus' second-lowest selling sedan. To me, that's a handful of cars, especially considering all the effort they put into a flagship model with essentially its own platform.

http://theautochannel.com/news/2009/10/01/479945.html

So, it is worth it for Honda to create a "true" flagship Acura, knowing that they will most likely sell far less than the 777 units per month Lexus sells? At least the RL uses Honda's Global Midsized Platform and the ZDX shares a platform with the MDX, Honda Pilot, and Ridgeline. That at least spreads the costs for those models.
Old 10-02-2009, 11:19 AM
Senior Moderator

ZDX makes short list for NATOY

The 2010 North American Truck of the Year Short List:

Acura ZDX
• Audi Q5
• Cadillac SRX
• Chevrolet Equinox
• Ford Transit Connect
• Honda Crosstour
• Land Rover LR4
• Lincoln MKT
• Subaru Outback
• Volvo XC60

Originally Posted by dom
Fixed.
That is true.
Old 10-03-2009, 07:02 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts
So, it is worth it for Honda to create a "true" flagship Acura, knowing that they will most likely sell far less than the 777 units per month Lexus sells? At least the RL uses Honda's Global Midsized Platform and the ZDX shares a platform with the MDX, Honda Pilot, and Ridgeline. That at least spreads the costs for those models.[/QUOTE]

IF Acura is really pretending to be a Luxury brand they NEED a flagship sedan.

Even if the sells will far less than 777 units per month.
Old 10-03-2009, 08:04 AM
Go Big Blue!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I would agree. What really defines LEXUS as a lux brand? The ES?? No, its the very tier 1 LS. If you've ever driven one I think you must conclude it is an excellent car and is at the price point that makes it somewhat exclusive. Forget about the fact that they sell low volumes. Of course they do. How many can afford a $70k car. Regardless, it elevates the brand and helps sell everything else.
Old 10-03-2009, 08:43 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
I've been really harsh on Acura lately (can you blame me?) but I think they're a little weary about stepping out with a flagship sedan that costs over $60,000. The RL is a great car, and while I don't like the current styling at all, the pre-MMC 2005-2007 RL looked great and was a great car all around, and I would think most would think so also.

However, that didn't translate into sales. How would they fare trying to sell a car that costs $10,000 more, at the least? At the moment I have no idea what they're doing, and I agree that they need a super-plush flagship sedan like the LS but I would be lying if I said I feel that the Acura flagship would even come close to the A8 sales numbers (which pale in comparison to the LS/7-series/S-Class). Add on top of that this economic state with car sales in the crapper, now is not the time for an Acura flagship.
Old 10-03-2009, 09:21 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,398 Likes on 702 Posts
Lightbulb BloomBerg

Oct. 1 (Bloomberg) -- Dude, the dinosaurs are dead. Which goes to show that all things must evolve in the face of cataclysmic change or, you know, die off for good. So it is with the auto industry and, more pointedly, sport utility vehicles.

A decade ago (akin to the Paleolithic era in swift-changing car years), 18-foot-long Suburbans and Excursions lumbered around our highways, slurping down petroleum and filling the air with emissions. Americans needed vehicles that could carry the entire family and the kitchen sink, plus be able to ford Donner Pass should the need arise.

Thankfully, the SUVlithic Age has (mostly) passed. Yet like crocodiles and other saurian holdouts who look similar to their prehistoric forebears, many sport utility vehicles look pretty much the same, too.

Now we’re told that a Darwinian evolution has arrived: Acura’s ZDX. A newer, smarter breed of SUV -- sorta, kinda, maybe.

The company has the audacity to call the ZDX a “four-door sports coupe,” a stretching of vernacular that might work for the Porsche Panamera, but not this vehicle. After all, it’s more than 5 feet tall and rides on the same platform as Acura’s regular ol’ SUV, the MDX.

A better description might be “an SUV with a coupe-like silhouette and sporting aspirations.”

While the ZDX may be less than an evolutionary leap forward, it does look sleeker and more agile than most of its blocky, shambling counterparts -- a velociraptor perhaps, in a world of brontosauruses.

Premium Gasoline
The vehicle is an all-wheel-drive, seats five in a pinch, and offers 55.8 cubic feet of storage with the second row of seats folded. Its 16 miles per gallon in the city and 22 on the highway is more in line with SUVs of old than any new, advanced life form. And it needs premium gasoline, too.

The four-door will be in dealerships mid-December, carrying a luxury level of technologies, comforts and price. Acura says the price will be between the MDX and RL, so expect the new addition to start around $45,000, rising to $50,000 for the most popular model with the technology package. That puts it within range of other lither SUVs like the Infiniti FX, and some $10,000 less than the BMW X6, another SUV-cum-“coupe.”

For now, the ZDX will only be sold in North America, and Acura expects a volume of around 6,000 a year to begin. A niche player rather than a game changer.

So just how sporty is it? Well, the 3.7-liter V-6 with 300 horsepower sounds pretty good until you realize that the auto weighs 4,400-plus pounds. More disappointing is the miserly 270 pound-feet of torque available at 4,500 rpm. That’s simply not enough grunt when you need it, especially when you’re looking to surge into gaps on the highway.

Lazy Power
The six-speed automatic transmission takes a moment to drop to the gear below. Power comes on lazily. By then, the space you were hoping to shoot into has probably closed.

Buyers can opt for a system that can switch between sport and comfort settings. Sport tightens the steering and suspension noticeably and body roll is minimized. You can then truly appreciate the excellent all-wheel drive, which transfers torque to the outside wheels as you take curves.

Ultimately, this evolution is less a leap in function than in form. From many angles, the ZDX looks pretty terrific. (The fresh exterior was created by two young American designers, Michelle Christensen and Damon Schell, from the company’s Torrance, California, design studio.)

You’ll first notice the shape of the long roof, which is tallest at the point where the driver and front passenger sit, and then gracefully tapers as it extends to the rear.

Glass Roof

The black roof is constructed completely of glass from hood to bumper, and is only interrupted by two bisecting lines. The ZDX is most compelling from the rear three-quarters and back, where the extremely deep shoulders lend a sports-car look and shows off the width of the vehicle.

Even better is the complex interplay of tail lights, glass roof and the arc of the lift gate. It all fits neatly together like a geometric puzzle. The rear door handles are also integrated into the side windows, which is super cool.

Inside, that sloping roof means much less headroom in the rear. If you’re unlucky enough to be the middle rear passenger, I suggest you practice calling “shotgun” next time. (Still, the BMW X6 has buckets in front and back, so only seats four.) The front seats are extremely adjustable and upholstered in high-grade leather.

Generally the inside shows the same level of detail and care as the exterior. Acura and Honda excel at electronic comforts -- paddle shifters, a power tailgate, rear camera, and iPod and Bluetooth connectivity are standard. Navigation with traffic and weather features come with the technology package. The ability to switch to sport settings, a blind spot warning system and adaptive cruise control are included in the top-level “advance” package.

The ZDX is not the energy-efficient people mover of the future, but it is a step out of the primordial SUV ooze.

The 2010 Acura ZDX at a Glance

Engine: 3.7-liter V-6 with 300 hp and 270 lb-ft of torque.

Transmission: Six-speed automatic.

Gas mileage per gallon: 16 city; 22 highway.

Price as tested: $52,000 (estimated).

Best feature: Emphasis on exterior design and craftsmanship.

Worst feature: Underpowered.

Target buyer: The people hauler who’s looking for an SUV with style.
(Jason H. Harper writes about autos for Bloomberg News. The opinions expressed are his own.)

To contact the writer of this column: Jason H. Harper at Jason@JasonHharper.com
Old 10-03-2009, 09:48 AM
Three Wheelin'

Road&Track photos

Old 10-03-2009, 10:21 AM
Go Big Blue!

Disappointed to here their opinion about the powertrain. Was/am hoping for this car to start breaking away from the honda-ish feel of the Acura brand in regards to engine and tranny. I'm not expecting it to perform like an X6, but let's hope they are off the mark. MotorTrend had more positive things to say about that subject already.
Old 10-03-2009, 01:50 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Nothing surprising here. The J is well past its best before date in this type of application.
Old 10-03-2009, 02:37 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by SpicyMikey
Disappointed to here their opinion about the powertrain. Was/am hoping for this car to start breaking away from the honda-ish feel of the Acura brand in regards to engine and tranny.
It is unclear if they are saying its better or worse than a MDX? Seriously, I can't see how it should be that different. The hardest part might be if you're coasting up to a red light in 6th gear at 20-30 mph, and the light turns green. You peg the throttle and the car needs to shift down 4 gears vs 3 before.

Originally Posted by dom
Nothing surprising here. The J is well past its best before date in this type of application.
The J is light, compact and well within the power range of newer (NA) V-6s out there. Acura tunes it to be a ULEV Tier II because the environment is high on their list of priorities. Maybe we don't share this goal and would like to see 25 more hp but with higher emissions? LOL Probably! but their choice is consistent with their company philosophy.
Old 10-03-2009, 03:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
I wont lie, the motortrend pics dont make it look half bad.
Old 10-03-2009, 03:05 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Crazy Acura
Yeah, I actually like it in every one of those shots.
Old 10-03-2009, 07:04 PM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 641 Likes on 395 Posts
I like the X6 better - I actually like the X6, not just in comparison to the ZDX - but I'm sure this one will be more than good enough for many people.
Old 10-03-2009, 08:16 PM
07TL-CBP

Originally Posted by Crazy Acura
Agree. These are better pics - not distorted. I think the source of ambivalence toward the exterior is that its style changes so drastically as you walk around. The front, rear and quarter panel views represent distinct vehicles.

One thing I am sure of: that shield already has enough bling to adorn 5 cars. Why the extra bling trims at the bumper - no a fan of em.
Old 10-03-2009, 09:17 PM
Senior Moderator

I read the Motor Trend pix as well. They really like it as well, as noted in the current issue (their annual Truck Buyer's Guide).

I still plan to go to my Acura dealer for a looksee at release. I just want a look at that interior. I mean, just wow....it's great. Acura's interiors get better every year.
Old 10-04-2009, 10:32 AM
J M U ... DUUUKEESSSS

Received 266 Likes on 131 Posts
The Motortrend pics have been the first pics I've seen that's made the ZDX kinda look nice.... just kinda. It's a shame that the ZDX has the ugly grill and the foglight trim, if it was any different, it would be a sharp looking vehicle.
Old 10-04-2009, 10:37 AM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 641 Likes on 395 Posts
Originally Posted by pokin
One thing I am sure of: that shield already has enough bling to adorn 5 cars. Why the extra bling trims at the bumper - no a fan of em.
Just get it in silver and then that extra bling kind of gets lost:
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/.../photo_05.html
Old 10-04-2009, 09:50 PM
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
$52,000? No thanks.
Old 10-04-2009, 10:12 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I bet Dr. Dre approves.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:09 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 101 Posts
I had a vision of an modern Acura CL in those pics from the MT mag pics. Just shorten the height of the body, body color the lower vent trim and drop the car on a set of 19" wheels. Oh, and lose the two rear doors. That would bring the weight down and improve the performance. Weird, why don't they just gun for the coupe for real!
Old 10-05-2009, 09:37 AM
What Would Don Draper Do?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
at dr. dre.

Old 10-05-2009, 10:17 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Colin
The J is light, compact and well within the power range of newer (NA) V-6s out there. Acura tunes it to be a ULEV Tier II because the environment is high on their list of priorities. Maybe we don't share this goal and would like to see 25 more hp but with higher emissions? LOL Probably! but their choice is consistent with their company philosophy.
Just what every luxury car buyers looks for. ULEV certification.

Honda/Acura loyalists always argued that they never needed anything more than 5AT. That anything more than 5 was a waste. Now that 6 is here those arguments have disappeared just as the arguments defending the J will disappear once they finally release something more advanced. Which spin it however you like is overdue.
Old 10-05-2009, 10:20 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
If it really comes in at 52k, say to the sales #'s....it may make the RL look like a sales winner.
Old 10-05-2009, 12:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

I thought Acura said the ZDX's base price will be between the MDX and the RL. That should be less than $52K USD.
Old 10-05-2009, 02:30 PM
Three Wheelin'

Autoblog first drive

Old 10-05-2009, 02:33 PM
Three Wheelin'

Autoblog 1st test drive

Acura calls its all-new ZDX "a provocative luxury four-door sports coupe," adding that it's a "passionate getaway" vehicle designed for "a couple, their belongings, and more." The proclamation is a twist on a pitch we've heard before, yet with an even narrower segment focus. While the marketplace has come to accept the stylishly squashed Mercedes-Benz CLS, Volkswagen CC and Jaguar XF into the non-sedan segment, this new niche – pioneered by the BMW X6 and accepted by consumers if only because the Bavarian delivers the goods – is still a substantial risk that could require a hard sell with pithy prose.
So to kick-off Acura's all-new non-SUV, the automaker invited us to Southern California to drive the latest addition to its growing family. Constructed on the familiar MDX platform and sharing its powertrain, the ZDX pushes the automaker's styling and innovation to the limit – it's certainly not bland or boring. However, is there enough substance under the style to win buyers in this newly targeted segment? What game-winning cards, if any, does Acura really hold with its latest "sports coupe" SUV? Follow the jump to find out.
To understand the Acura ZDX, one needs to know a bit about the MDX, its incredibly close sibling. The MDX is a very competent, traditionally-designed, unibody crossover utility vehicle. Motivated by a 3.7-liter V6 and sending power through Acura's rather brilliant torque-distributing Super Handling All-Wheel Drive (SH-AWD) system, the family-oriented MDX starts with a base price of just over $40,000. Now in its second-generation (last redesigned for the 2007 model year), the seven-passenger CUV delivers typical Acura innovation, utility, reliability and safety in a package that isn't going to raise anyone's pulse from behind the wheel. Regardless, its owners don't seem to care as it does a great job of accomplishing its objective of being a luxurious crossover.
Mechanically, the MDX and ZDX are very much alike, right down to the shared unibody design, wheelbase and track (the ZDX is slightly longer overall). Both crossovers feature the identical 300 horsepower, 3.7-liter VTEC V6 sending power through a new six-speed automatic, and Acura's SH-AWD powertrain is also standard fare on each. The curb weight of the ZDX is 4,431 pounds (with Tech package), undercutting the slightly heavier MDX by more than 100 pounds. While the sturdy MDX can tow a 5,000-pound trailer, the new ZDX is chassis-limited to just 1,500 pounds.
Although sharing much of the same DNA, these dizygotic twins are very different in physical appearance. Penned by the California-based Acura Design Studio, the sleek ZDX features bold fender flares that taper inward, hidden rear door handles, and an all-glass roof that stretches from front wipers to tailgate. The automaker accurately declares, "The ZDX is like nothing you have ever seen before from Acura." That statement may be true, but the exterior design bears more than a striking resemblance to the BMW X6 – its primary identified competitor.
More so than the aggressively styled BMW, the ZDX errs on the side of femininity. A proud parent boasting about the vehicle's edgy design, Acura repeatedly uses the word "sexy" to describe the skin of the ZDX. While we liked some of the touches (the sculpted rear quarter panels are pleasingly unique), we simply weren't struck by any carnal urges.
On the other hand, we were impressed with the ZDX's interior design. Instantly recognizable as an Acura family member, the cockpit is fresh and stylish. Driver and front passenger sit apart, separated by a sweeping dash with a tall center console. Overhead, the panoramic moonroof features two individual glass panels (not one large panel, as found with BMW). The front panel slides open, while the other is fixed. Rather than close them with an opaque shade, Acura utilizes a tight fabric mesh that allows visible light to permeate the cabin without transmitting heat or UV rays to the passengers. The primary instrument cluster features traditional round dials, while the center control panel (Acura calls it a "monolith" design) is coldly black until the audio system is switched on. From where we sit, Acura has done an amazing job within the cabin environment. Premium natural grain leathers and high quality plastics add a rich and warm feel to the cockpit. From the driver's seat, it looks, feels, and smells expensive.
There is little arguing with Acura's proclamation that the passenger compartment of the ZDX is designed primarily for the front two occupants (the automaker brazenly calls it a "two plus three" and points out that the front seats are the "primary passenger zone" while the rear is the "freedom" zone for gear... or three people). Thanks to that aforementioned styling, the sloping roof and tapered rear end cleanly remove the passenger space and utility enjoyed in the MDX. Shoehorned back there, we found the rear seats are small and cramped for anyone mildly claustrophobic or even a hair taller than Tom Cruise – we've heard that the Mazda RX-8 has more room in the second row. Just for confirmation, on the way home from driving the ZDX we hustled over to a local BMW dealer to sit in the rear seats of the X6 – they were generously cavernous by comparison.
Accessed through the standard power-operated tailgate, the rear cargo area is as nicely finished as the front passenger cabin. High-quality materials, metal-plated handles, and closed-loop carpet mean that golf bags, mountain bikes, or skis travel in their own first class compartment. While it would never be described as spacious, hidden panels line both sides for expansion, and there's a generous storage area under the floor. The second-row seats also fold flat, in a standard split arrangement, for any oversize items.
Acura will offer the ZDX in three different flavors: ZDX, ZDX Technology and ZDX Advance. All share the same powerplant and driveline, panoramic roof, all-leather interior, Bluetooth connectivity, rearview camera, 19-inch wheels and a 266-watt audio system with eight speakers. The ZDX Technology adds navigation, multi-view camera, AcuraLink® Satellite communications, real-time weather and traffic, keyless access and an upgraded 435–watt audio package with ten speakers and a 15 GB HDD. The ZDX Advance adds icing to the Technology package with added active suspension, adaptive cruise control, collision mitigation braking system, blind spot information system, ventilated seats and a sport steering wheel.
Pricing has not been announced, but Acura says the MSRP will be higher than the MDX, yet undercut the RL sedan. We figure you'll need about $45,000 to put one in your garage (in case you are wondering, the twin-turbo six-cylinder BMW X6 optioned equivalently will set you back about $70,000).
With the detailed product orientation behind us, we put the keyless entry/ignition fob in our pocket, hit the red start button, and pointed the ZDX towards the hills above Malibu.
Settled comfortably into the front seat, we immediately realize the styling has compromised the outward visibility (those are seriously thick C-pillars). Acura has attempted to increase sight lines with the additional tinted glass panel at the bottom of the tailgate. It works, but you must rely on the standard backup camera during reverse maneuvers. The seating position is coupe-like low, putting the front corners of the hood out of view from the driver's seat, and over the course of an afternoon, we never became overly comfortable with its dimensions.
Driven like a gentleman, the Acura ZDX is as mundane as a Honda Accord and as quiet as a private library. Acura engineers were obsessed with isolating passengers from unnecessary noise, vibration and harshness (NVH). Acoustic noise-absorbing mats, wheel housing insulators and special tire tread and compound limit much of the common road and mechanical noise. Much more impressive is the innovative, and standard, Active Noise Canceling system – essentially white noise piped through the audio system – to limit unwanted frequencies. The result is an amazingly quiet cabin that makes conversation easier and travel much more relaxing.
Romp on the gas in a spirited manner and the 3.7-liter V6 wakes up immediately (it will run to 60 mph from a standstill in about 6.5 seconds). It's an excellent powerplant, but not exactly engaging for the enthusiast with its unoriginal soundtrack mostly coming from under the hood (we were told the exhaust was tuned for duty in the ZDX, but you really can't hear the rear silencers from within the cabin). The six-speed transmission shifts nearly imperceptibly and it responds well to the steering wheel-mounted paddle shifters.
After being informed that Acura did suspension tuning at the famed Nürburgring, we took the opportunity to push the ZDX on some challenging canyon roads of our own. We sampled both models with and without Acura's active suspension (IDS alters suspension damping and steering effort) and found both handled about the same at the limit. Regardless of electronic intervention, the steering is rather numb on each. However, with a rock-solid platform and the variable (front-to-back and side-to-side) torque distribution of the SH-AWD clawing at the pavement, it was tough to break the ZDX's composure even when pushed beyond its limits.
The Achilles heel of this Acura's handling is found on all four corners – the all-season Michelin tires. While their standard size is meaty (255/50R19), the compound is strictly M+S (all-season) meaning they sing like holiday carolers when pushed above 6/10ths and slide like teenage snowboarders above 7/10ths. With 58 percent of the ZDX's mass over the front tires, we expected plenty of understeer at the limit. Surprisingly, it was rather balanced mid-drift and very controllable (credit goes to the SH-AWD, most likely). The ZDX will never be mistaken for a performance vehicle – it honestly isn't enjoyable to drive hard – but rest assured the Acura can handle the mission if it's ever called for duty.
We really don't know what to think of the ZDX. Acura has hit a home run with the interior appointments, chassis tuning, and cabin isolation. However, they swung and missed with second-row comfort, outward visibility, and fun-to-drive quotient. Targeted at the BMW X6, and marketed as a "Passionate Getaway" coupe for couples, the ZDX has been positioned in an awkward and rather diminutive niche. While Acura loyalists and enthusiasts lament the loss of performance-oriented vehicles such as the Integra Type-R and exotic NSX, the plebian ZDX debuts without a compelling reason to join the team.
Old 10-05-2009, 02:39 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by dom
Just what every luxury car buyers looks for. ULEV certification.
You can't argue it both ways, many say Honda should go back to it's roots. If you want Honda to stay close to its roots, then low emissions have been a hallmark of the brand since the first oil crisis, 70's environmentalism and CVCC.

Honda/Acura loyalists always argued that they never needed anything more than 5AT. That anything more than 5 was a waste. ... Which spin it however you like is overdue.
I don't believe I ever said 5 was enough, though I'm not sure you're 'accusing' me of that either. One thing that I find most curious in J series 'haters' is that when the engine debuted in 1997, the key competition was already using DOHC, Toyota and Nissan for example. Was Honda 'behind' from Day One?

The point is that the J is not the 'boat anchor' that many make it out to be. The flip side of the coin is look at how much development was necessary for others to beat the J. Honda could be laughing that their aging, 13 year old engine is still within 10% of power and economy of the competition's newest.
Old 10-05-2009, 03:19 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Is that interior brown or orange?
Old 10-05-2009, 03:21 PM
Go Big Blue!

Here's the link to that Autoblog article

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/10/05/f...over-function/
Old 10-05-2009, 03:21 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
Is that interior brown or orange?
Don't know, but I am not a fan at all. I think it's probably the same umber color that is available on the TL.
Old 10-05-2009, 06:09 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by LuvMyTSX
Don't know, but I am not a fan at all. I think it's probably the same umber color that is available on the TL.
Yes that is umber interior. It's kind of a burnt orange color.
Old 10-05-2009, 10:16 PM
Three Wheelin'

I don't like this color at all. In a sedan maybe, but in this thing looks odd.
Too bright.
Old 10-05-2009, 10:23 PM
fap fap fap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
over did it with that brown on the dash and center console

Quick Reply: Acura: ZDX News