Acura: ZDX News

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 05:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by SpicyMikey
Drove a Z4 with the 7 speed double clutch recently. Dear lord what a nice smooth delivery of power all the way through. I was impressed. Heard great things about Porsche's new PDK AT as well. I'd love to try one. I know it would add significant cost to the cars for Acura to do that, but I wish Acura would step in that area.
What if Acura had a new transmission ready for the (now on hold) NSX? What if they has A-VTEC refined and production ready? The economy has forced them to put that project on hold but the technology exists. If you brought it out on anything BUT the flagship, when you release that top of the line car, people will complain that the NSX is using the [insert car] transmission. Food for thought?
Old 09-10-2009, 05:09 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by Colin
I think a V6 TSX would be interesting, but realistically, in the best of times, Acura only sells 40K TSXs a year. These days probably less.

There are already:
TSX I4 AT
TSX Tech I4 AT
TSX I4 6MT
TSX Tech I4 6MT
TSX V-6
TSX V-6 Tech

Adding two more trim levels (assumes base and tech) is just too much (IMO). The 6 cylinders are only a small percentage of all TSXs and a 6MT would be 10% (at best) of this. I bet it'd be 500 to 750 cars total per year. As much as I'd love to see it, I simply think it's unlikely.

LOL who knows? It could be the currency exchange rate in Latvia but I wasn't trying to assign a reason. I was only offering an honest (if anecdotal) account of the perceived demand for a manual.
Colin, I know you remembering us going through this over in the TSX section. So lets not do it again. I think you know where I stand on what they should have done.

And you`ll never catch me claiming there was ever a demand for a manual TL. Although I`m sure the guys in the TL forum would disagree.
Old 09-10-2009, 05:13 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dom
Unless its a GS-R, Civic Si or S2000...I don't think an MT is a great idea on every model. The vehicle has to be right and I think the V6 TSX is the right vehcle for the MT. TL, not so much.

BTW, you sure the lack of response from those 5000 doesn't have more to do with the TL than it does the MT?
My assumption is:

The MT in the new TL SH-AWD is a practice run. They know they won't sell many, but they want to test it out before they include it in sportier models. If the manual transmission proves to be troublesome, they can fix the problems before they produce it on a higher level and in different models.
Old 09-10-2009, 05:30 PM
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by TSX-Tuner
My assumption is:

The MT in the new TL SH-AWD is a practice run. They know they won't sell many, but they want to test it out before they include it in sportier models. If the manual transmission proves to be troublesome, they can fix the problems before they produce it on a higher level and in different models.
A practice run on their bread-n-butter sedan? mmmmmm.......
Old 09-10-2009, 05:52 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by vybzkartel
A practice run on their bread-n-butter sedan? mmmmmm.......
The TL is Acura's bread and butter in automatic form. The amount of SH-AWD 6MT sold would be so low; Acura could handle the recalls and TSB's if need be.
Old 09-11-2009, 05:02 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 165 Likes on 127 Posts
I buy manual transmissions.

I wont consider a car if it is not offered with a manual. The only time that I would consider a car without a manual would be if I already had at least one car that was manual. Yes, I am in the minority.

I can only speak for myself, but I complain about Acura because they went from making cars that I liked and desired to making cars I have absolutely no interest in. I love my 2005 TSX, and plan on keeping it as a daily driver for a while. It looks pretty good, is relatively fun to drive, has a great MANUAL tranny etc. It's sad that in 4 short years, Acura has gone to producing nothing I would want to buy. I suppose I wouldn't mind the current TSX (painted grille), but I would want the V6 for some more power,...FAIL. Although, now that I know what a 3 series drives like, it's pretty much over for most things I might consider anyway.

Acura to me right now,..
- No attractive looking vehilces
- Reducing the MT options = me not interested
- Driving dynamics not on same level as some competitors (BMW opened my eyes, and yes, I will pay a premium for things like steering feel, handling, overall car feel, etc)
- Not enough options/not the kind of options I want offered

It's a shame the manual options are dwindling, cause Honda makes some of the best. If my dad's M5 had a manual as nice as my TSX's,..that car would be PERFECT (I wish the 328 I test drove earlier this year was a manual). It's still awesome though lol.

Last edited by West6MT; 09-11-2009 at 05:07 PM.
Old 09-11-2009, 07:40 PM
Safety Car

Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts
^werd

unfortunately acura's marketing team is half retarded. the ZDX is their halo??

acura blows so much money on brand identity, you would think obama was funding it. not only are their sales dwindling, but they are spending more money than ever to develop and market their line-up. and their innovations still fall short of the competition. their business model is a joke.
Old 09-11-2009, 08:54 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by West6MT
I buy manual transmissions.

I wont consider a car if it is not offered with a manual. The only time that I would consider a car without a manual would be if I already had at least one car that was manual. Yes, I am in the minority.

I can only speak for myself, but I complain about Acura because they went from making cars that I liked and desired to making cars I have absolutely no interest in. I love my 2005 TSX, and plan on keeping it as a daily driver for a while. It looks pretty good, is relatively fun to drive, has a great MANUAL tranny etc. It's sad that in 4 short years, Acura has gone to producing nothing I would want to buy. I suppose I wouldn't mind the current TSX (painted grille), but I would want the V6 for some more power,...FAIL. Although, now that I know what a 3 series drives like, it's pretty much over for most things I might consider anyway.

Acura to me right now,..
- No attractive looking vehilces
- Reducing the MT options = me not interested
- Driving dynamics not on same level as some competitors (BMW opened my eyes, and yes, I will pay a premium for things like steering feel, handling, overall car feel, etc)
- Not enough options/not the kind of options I want offered

It's a shame the manual options are dwindling, cause Honda makes some of the best. If my dad's M5 had a manual as nice as my TSX's,..that car would be PERFECT (I wish the 328 I test drove earlier this year was a manual). It's still awesome though lol.
Sums it up nicely.
Old 09-11-2009, 09:06 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
Oh man, if Honda's manual gearbox were in BMWs then i'd be in heaven.
Old 09-12-2009, 09:50 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Crazy Acura
Old 09-13-2009, 09:19 AM
Race Director

Received 624 Likes on 503 Posts
Originally Posted by Crazy Acura
The TSX gearbox is great but the best feeling MT I ever drove was in a, wait for it............

CTS.
Old 09-13-2009, 03:46 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by biker
The TSX gearbox is great but the best feeling MT I ever drove was in a, wait for it............

CTS.
Have you ever driven an S2000? Just curious, cause I have seen a number of places say it's the best manual tranny ever. If you have, how does it compare to the CTS? Also, could you compare the CTS and the TSX manuals? What do you like more about the CTS's tranny etc. I have never driven a CTS or S2000,..basically just curious what you like about the CTS tranny vs TSX, etc.

Last edited by West6MT; 09-13-2009 at 03:49 PM.
Old 09-15-2009, 11:21 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

Mooch Model X6 copy.
Old 09-16-2009, 02:00 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
s2000 tranny = best under $100,000
Old 09-16-2009, 02:34 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by West6MT
Have you ever driven an S2000? Just curious, cause I have seen a number of places say it's the best manual tranny ever. If you have, how does it compare to the CTS? Also, could you compare the CTS and the TSX manuals? What do you like more about the CTS's tranny etc. I have never driven a CTS or S2000,..basically just curious what you like about the CTS tranny vs TSX, etc.
I haven't tried to S2000. The thing about the CTS tranny was just the overall feel. The gear changes were smooth and precise. The clutch engagement was just right. I don't know, it just felt really good. Maybe it felt a bit better than a TSX cause it was mated to a V6. While one can get used to it I didn't particularly like the clutch delay valve effect in BMW MTs. All the others I've tried like Mazda 5MT, Toyota 5MT, G35 6MT, Accord 5MT are all just OK. I probably would not make a buying decision on just the MT feel cause you can get used to just about anything as long as you like the rest of the car.
Old 09-16-2009, 02:48 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
In general, manual transmission clutches for V6 engines always feel better and smoother than for I4 engines because of the big power and thus big flywheel required by the V6.

I4 engines have smaller flywheels, so it takes a skillful driver to be able to engage the clutch smoothly to avoid jerks and roughness.

But for V6, the big flywheel has enough momentum to absorb anything you dump to it. As a result, the clutches feels smoother and better, even for careless drivers.

However, Honda still makes the best manual transmission for 4-cylinder engines in terms of overall smoothness and gear engagements, compared to other 4-cylinder manual transmission camps.
Old 09-16-2009, 04:25 PM
Suzuka Master

This thread could be a "case study" for Thread Drift. But since we're here.... The S2000 clutch/tranny is one of the best around. The clutch is light because as Edward noted, you don't need a lot of flywheel for a 166 pounds of torque. But that gearbox is amazing! No cables, and that shifter is practically IN the transmission.

http://ww.hondanews.com/categories/9...8?archive=2000
Old 09-16-2009, 08:19 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Of course its great, it was Lotus designed!

Old 09-16-2009, 09:48 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by dom
Of course its great, it was Lotus designed!

Stop it!
Old 09-17-2009, 12:49 AM
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
none of these last few responses have nothing to do with the ZDX. oh well. this ZDX will probably flop, but i can't see the future.
Old 09-17-2009, 09:07 AM
Race Director

It will be interesting to see the sales numbers for this and the Crosstour. Seems to me that Honda invested enough in this idea that even if it has RL like sales numbers they'll keep pushing it.
Old 09-17-2009, 09:43 PM
Hello!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
In general, manual transmission clutches for V6 engines always feel better and smoother than for I4 engines because of the big power and thus big flywheel required by the V6.

I4 engines have smaller flywheels, so it takes a skillful driver to be able to engage the clutch smoothly to avoid jerks and roughness.

But for V6, the big flywheel has enough momentum to absorb anything you dump to it. As a result, the clutches feels smoother and better, even for careless drivers.

However, Honda still makes the best manual transmission for 4-cylinder engines in terms of overall smoothness and gear engagements, compared to other 4-cylinder manual transmission camps.
Well part of the beauty of Honda shifters is they don't have to deal with tons of power or torque, thus making a much more pleasant shifting experience. Its simple engineering really.

Shift a Viper or something with some power, even a M3.....it will never be as smooth....
Old 09-23-2009, 08:59 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,395 Likes on 700 Posts
Thumbs up Motor Trend

Super Looking All-Wheel Drive
September 23, 2009
/ By Ron Kiino
/ Photography by Brian Vance

Whether you like the daring curves of Acura's all-new ZDX crossover, there's no denying that there is something super about its shape -- it stands out among today's array of sport/utilities like an Armani suit at 24 Hour Fitness. While one editor thought the ZDX resembled a "Mitsubishi's Dakar-racing Pajero Evo mated with a TL," an overwhelming majority of our team was drawn to this audacious Acura, especially its blacked-out all-glass roof, accentuated fenders, and hidden door handles just fore the C-pillar. "Calling the ZDX distinctive is an understatement," says associate Web producer Carlos Lago. "It looks otherworldly. It's the best looking vehicle in Acura's camp -- and I mean that as a compliment. Love the view from the rear. Its strong, wide shoulders give a dominant, purposeful shape." Editor at large Arthur St. Antoine says, "I'll admit it: I was taken aback -- no, shocked -- by my first sight of the ZDX in the metal. This thing is out there-to my eye, way edgier and more futuristic-looking than the X6. But the more I looked, the more I found the ZDX...interesting. Even...stunning." Sure, the ZDX sports Acura's signature and controversial can-opener grille that we've ridiculed on the TL, TSX, et al, but on this bigger, fastback sport/ute, it works -- at least more so than on the brand's sedans.

We experienced similar fuzzy feelings from behind the wheel. Slide into this so-called "four-door sports coupe" -- watch your head, because the sloping roofline is lower than you expect, especially when entering the back seat -- and you're treated to the most elegant cabin in a luxury Honda to date. A leather-stitched dash? You bet. Leather-stitched door panels, too? Why not. Even the cargo area is lined with premium loop-style carpet that wouldn't look out of place in a Beverly Hills living room. Speaking of the cargo area, it features side panels than can be niftily detached, allowing for such long, bulky objects as golf bags. Our top-of-the-line test vehicle, equipped with the available Advance Package, also included ventilated front seats, blind-spot warning system, adaptive cruise control, Collision Mitigating Braking System (CMBS), and Acura's new Integrated Dynamics System (IDS), which allows for adjusting the dampers between comfort and sport modes. Lest we forget, the Advance Package encompasses everything in the available Technology Package -- ELS premium audio, Bluetooth phone and streaming audio, backup camera, and navigation with traffic and weather updates.

Step on the throttle and turn the fat-rimmed three-spoke leather-wrapped wheel, and those fuzzy feelings are quickly transfused with adrenaline. Underhood resides a 3.7-liter single-cam V-6 that routs 300 horses and 270 pound-feet through a new six-speed automatic and Acura's signature "Super Handling" all-wheel-drive system. Zero to 60 takes just 6.5 seconds and lateral grip, at 0.83 g, falls right in sport-sedan territory. Depending on how you set the IDS, the ride can be tuned from sporty firm to tautly supple. And even with our lead foots spurring it along, the ZDX delivered 17.1-mpg observed fuel economy.

While its most direct competitor, the 300-horse twin-turbo BMW X6 xDrive 35i, is quicker to 60 (5.9 seconds) and around the skidpad (0.87 g), the ZDX is more fun to drive. The reason, unsurprisingly, is weight. At 4445 pounds, the ZDX is no bantam, but it tips the scales with 540 fewer pounds than a comparably equipped X6. Sure, the BMW's twin-turbo I-6 and nifty xDrive all-wheel drive make it quick in a straight line and around a circle, but it can't cheat the laws of physics and mask 4985 pounds when tackling a twisty road. What about the Infiniti FX? Yes, in terms of test numbers and road manners, the lighter 4293-pound FX35 AWD is more akin to the ZDX, scooting to 60 in 6.1 seconds and around the skid pad with 0.82 g of lateral grip. Nevertheless, while it's a looker, the FX doesn't wear the shock-and-awe lines of the ZDX, nor is it as fun to drive, lacking the Acura's utter sure-footedness.

Then there's the value proposition. A base ZDX, which comes standard with 19-inch wheels, Xenon headlamps, leather, power/heated front seats, power moonroof and tailgate, XM satellite radio, and Bluetooth, should start in the neighborhood of $44,000. A base X6, which offers heated front seats, power tailgate, satellite radio, and Bluetooth as options, opens at $56,725. When similarly equipped, the Acura should represent a $10,000-$15,000 savings compared with the BMW. And the Infiniti? An FX35 AWD starts at $44,465 and, unlike the Acura, doesn't come standard with Bluetooth, 19-inch wheels, or paddle shifters. Tart up an FX to mimic a ZDX with the Advance Package, and you're looking at a $50,000-plus crossover.

Of course, the ZDX isn't perfect. A couple demerits worth mentioning are the challenging ingress/egress, a cramped back seat (it offers less headroom and legroom than in a Mazda RX-8), and somewhat compromised cargo capacity, which, at 26.3 cubic feet, is less than in the stubbier and narrower Audi Q5. That said, Acura isn't marketing the ZDX as a family transporter; rather, it's a "passionate getaway" car for two adults. So if you need a rig for hauling the spouse and kids, Acura will gladly point you in the direction of the RDX and MDX. Otherwise, opt for the ZDX. No other Acura is as engaging to drive or scintillating to behold -- period.

Last edited by TSX69; 09-23-2009 at 09:02 PM.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:16 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
I hate to say it because it's trite, but the X6 is a much better looking (and seemingly more expensive looking) vehicle than the ZDX.

I wouldn't buy either unless forced to do so but if I HAD to, I'm getting the BMW.
Old 09-23-2009, 10:59 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 114 Likes on 66 Posts
No other Acura is as engaging to drive or scintillating to behold -- period.
Thats a very bold statement... I'm curious to get behind the wheel myself now.
Old 09-24-2009, 12:53 AM
07TL-CBP

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jnc2000
Thats a very bold statement... I'm curious to get behind the wheel myself now.
At 4500Ibs, the 0-60 @ 6.5 is pretty good.

I am not at all a fan of x-overs, but Acura may just have a niche winner - not because it is the best overall, but because it offers the best value. The packaged tech, excellent interior styling, and competitive price, will be enough to peel off some X6 and FX candidates.
Old 09-24-2009, 01:19 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
That's a very nice review for the ZDX.
Old 09-24-2009, 07:15 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Very positive review and exactly what Acura needed. But the boys at MT should get their bi-focal prescription checked because that thing is ugly as sin.

Last edited by dom; 09-24-2009 at 07:55 AM.
Old 09-24-2009, 07:52 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Really good review. I'm kind of curious to drive one. I hope it looks better in person than in the pics, though. I preferred the prototype over the production version, too.
Old 09-24-2009, 08:01 AM
Go Big Blue!

Glad to see the good review because I was definitely considering replacing my 2008 MDX with one next year. I'm the perfect candidate for this car. No small kids to lug around anymore but still need some utility to haul things on occasion. Perfect second car for the garage, plus it's a step up in the lux category. My MDX is the only car I own without keyless start now. Starting to really hate the MDX key start and clunky transmission. If the ZDX 6at is smoother then I'm sold. Looks? I don't care. I can't see it when I'm inside anyway.
Old 09-24-2009, 08:59 AM
Safety Car

Received 168 Likes on 122 Posts
Nice review, I really like the interior. I still think the outside is weird, but that's because I really don't like cars/SUVs that aren't quite cars or SUVs.

To me, the vehicle is about a half a foot to a foot too high, but it doesn't look that bad the more I look at it.
Old 09-24-2009, 09:27 AM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
Originally Posted by biker
It will be interesting to see the sales numbers for this and the Crosstour. Seems to me that Honda invested enough in this idea that even if it has RL like sales numbers they'll keep pushing it.
i wish this thinking applied to the nsx
Old 09-24-2009, 09:40 AM
Race Director

It looks otherworldly. It's the best looking vehicle in Acura's camp -- and I mean that as a compliment.
This guy is smoking some good stuff.
Old 09-24-2009, 10:29 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
...and MT has jumped the shark
Old 09-24-2009, 10:38 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
....and Acura has extended their advertising contract with MT for an additional 10 years...
Fixed.
Old 09-24-2009, 11:01 AM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by pokin
At 4500Ibs, the 0-60 @ 6.5 is pretty good.

I am not at all a fan of x-overs, but Acura may just have a niche winner - not because it is the best overall, but because it offers the best value. The packaged tech, excellent interior styling, and competitive price, will be enough to peel off some X6 and FX candidates.
how is that pretty good? Audi Q5 is taller but have similar performance from 3.2L engine with better fuel economy with same 6speed Auto, better skid pad numbers on MT tests despite not having SH-AWD equivalent like S4 sport differential on all season tires., more interior space in a compact 10 inch shorter vehicle. and it is priced the same.
Old 09-24-2009, 11:12 AM
Honda Fanboy

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by SSFTSX
how is that pretty good? Audi Q5 is taller but have similar performance from 3.2L engine with better fuel economy with same 6speed Auto, better skid pad numbers on MT tests despite not having SH-AWD equivalent like S4 sport differential on all season tires., more interior space in a compact 10 inch shorter vehicle. and it is priced the same.
What does being taller have anything to do with having better acceleration? The Q5 is also compact now? According to you, it was competing with the X5, ML, MDX and in some of your instances even above them, and now it is compact? The article also doesn't say anything about the Q5 having more INTERIOR space than the ZDX. The Q5 also starts from a little over $37k while the ZDX starts from around $44k. I am talking about base cars, not optioned out. I don't care about optioned out prices. Interesting how the information changes in order to suit your needs.

Last edited by VTEC Racer; 09-24-2009 at 11:15 AM.
Old 09-24-2009, 11:46 AM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 641 Likes on 395 Posts
Originally Posted by SpicyMikey
Glad to see the good review because I was definitely considering replacing my 2008 MDX with one next year. I'm the perfect candidate for this car. No small kids to lug around anymore but still need some utility to haul things on occasion. Perfect second car for the garage, plus it's a step up in the lux category. My MDX is the only car I own without keyless start now. Starting to really hate the MDX key start and clunky transmission. If the ZDX 6at is smoother then I'm sold. Looks? I don't care. I can't see it when I'm inside anyway.
It's POSSIBLE that the ZDX looks good in person, even if it's ugly on pictures.
Old 09-24-2009, 11:50 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Originally Posted by Belzebutt
It's POSSIBLE that the ZDX looks good in person, even if it's ugly on pictures.
I remember when people were saying that about the TL.
Old 09-24-2009, 12:00 PM
07TL-CBP

Originally Posted by SSFTSX
???
The Q5: approx 4200Ibs , 0-60 in 6.8, 18/23 fuel, and 3.2L
The ZDX: approx 4500Ibs , 0-60 in 6.6, 16/22 fuel, 3.7L.

The Q5 performance is impressive, but that for the ZDX is 'Pretty Good.' Sorry it does not meet your standard for 'Good.'

Quick Reply: Acura: ZDX News