Acura: ZDX News

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 05:24 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I definitely understand that the ZDX was under development a long time ago and hence its untimely release. However, what I don't quite understand, is that so was the NSX, yet the NSX's release was canceled. Why was the ZDX released, but not the NSX? At least the NSX would have created buzz, brought in shoppers, and acted as the halo car. I get that the NSX is/was expensive, but so is the ZDX, and honestly, the ZDX will do much less for Acura's reputation than the NSX.

Old 08-20-2009, 05:33 PM
Race Director

Received 630 Likes on 506 Posts
Originally Posted by I Go To Costco
Audi's halo car, the R8 is upwards of $120,000 and they can sell it with ease, and they're not even Tier 1.
Lots of folks would disagree with that....
Old 08-20-2009, 05:39 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
IMO the S2000 is much more ideal as a Honda rather than an Acura. It fits the sporty roadster segment better than the luxury roadster segment. In the end I think the SLK/Z4/Boxster are cross shopped against each other much more than they are against the S2000. The S2000 is more of a Miata/Z roadster competitor. If it matters, my sister-in-law isn't a car enthusiast at all, more of one of the "masses" and she wanted an SLK badly, and considered the Z4 and Boxster.... but the S2000 was a definite no for her.

I suppose they could have fitted an automatic transmission to the S2000.... but that would have sapped the soul out of it.

And the market doesn't care about poor timing. It doesn't matter if a vehicle was a good idea at the time, if it doesn't sell 3 years later then it's a bad idea.... if you're the type that looks at the numbers. Acura was smart to delay the NSX-successor project, even if it makes them look bad in the end. It goes against their Tier 1 aspirations and announcements completely, but they could stand to fail miserably trying to push a $100,000++ Acura that consumers just aren't quite ready for yet.
Old 08-20-2009, 06:40 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Originally Posted by LuvMyTSX
I definitely understand that the ZDX was under development a long time ago and hence its untimely release. However, what I don't quite understand, is that so was the NSX, yet the NSX's release was canceled. Why was the ZDX released, but not the NSX? At least the NSX would have created buzz, brought in shoppers, and acted as the halo car. I get that the NSX is/was expensive, but so is the ZDX, and honestly, the ZDX will do much less for Acura's reputation than the NSX.

Old 08-20-2009, 06:45 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
I actually quite like the ZDX from these short videos, but I guess I will reserve my final judgment when I see the real vehicle in person. I think it's going to take a lot of people by surprise because it probably will have a very real presence simply by the fact that it's HUGE (192 inches long) and it is unique in its design elements.

The only thing that I wished that they had done differently at this point is the front. I wished that it would look much meaner and more aggressive, in order to match that impressive rear design.
Old 08-20-2009, 08:28 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been a life long fan of Honda and Acura, however, I have to admit that I cannot imagine buying any of the current line up. I'm very very disappointed that their designs have lost that simple elegance they used to have. They have nothing that appeals to me at the moment.
Old 08-20-2009, 08:42 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 836 Likes on 520 Posts

I'd imagine it's much easier to actually manufacture the ZDX than the NSX successor. Afterall, the ZDX is based on the MDX, while the NSX successor is based on...well..nothing. The NSX successor was pretty developed. But they probably wasn't very far in terms of designing the manufacturing process. That alone probably would have taken a lot of money and time to do. On the other hand, this problem doesn't exist for the ZDX since it's similar to the MDX.

I'm sure they did their cost/benefit analysis before making decisions like this one.

Last edited by iforyou; 08-20-2009 at 08:45 PM.
Old 08-20-2009, 08:46 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
However, what I don't quite understand, is that so was the NSX, yet the NSX's release was canceled. Why was the ZDX released, but not the NSX?
Let me preface the following by saying that most of the info is from first hand discussions or e-mail. However, I cannot post a link to a conversation - so don't ask.

As I understand it, once a car reaches a certain point in it's development, the suppliers and tool & die makers will get paid for their work. It does not matter if the car goes into production or not. So if the ZDX was past this point in it's development, the only thing to do was to make the car. Conversely, the NSX replacement was still at the 'hand built prototype' stage and so they were able to cancel/postpone this project.
Old 08-20-2009, 08:47 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Originally Posted by Speed_Racer
That means their designer was 21 when she designed the ZDX. It seems like Acura is taking a gamble and is losing each time.
If I remember correctly from the interview,Michelle was 25 when she started on the design project. And now she's 28.
Old 08-20-2009, 08:48 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Originally Posted by Colin
Let me preface the following by saying that most of the info is from first hand discussions or e-mail. However, I cannot post a link to a conversation - so don't ask.

As I understand it, once a car reaches a certain point in it's development, the suppliers and tool & die makers will get paid for their work. It does not matter if the car goes into production or not. So if the ZDX was past this point in it's development, the only thing to do was to make the car. Conversely, the NSX replacement was still at the 'hand built prototype' stage and so they were able to cancel/postpone this project.
Well, I just learned something new
Old 08-20-2009, 08:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by neuronbob
It doesn't diminish what I'm saying, though, that Acura is trying to diversify.
My post wasn't intended to diminish yours, but rather put some logic into the discussion. Thanks for your posts too.
Old 08-20-2009, 08:54 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by iforyou
Well, I just learned something new
Ha ha, I think we were writing the same thing at the same time
Old 08-20-2009, 09:03 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
My opinion on this thing is wrong not just because of timing, but because of the sequence of events that have taken place in the acura lineup. This car is obviously to capture buyers who like the X6. But how many of htese buyers are there actually? I don't think you can compare the ZDX to the X6 when looking at the big picture, because BMW sells cars based not only on performance, but also on IMAGE and PRESTIGE, something that Acura is obviously not known for.

Some people will buy the X6 because it's a BMW and no other reason. Some people will buy the X6 because it's a BMW and because they want the performance. Some people will buy the X6 because it's a BMW and because it stands out. But IMO, the common denominator in all these scenarios is it's a BMW. What I'm getting at is that if the X6 were released by anyone else except BMW or MB, or maybe even Audi (brands that are as much dependent on image/prestige as they are on the product), most people would probably laugh.

And this is where Acura is with the ZDX. The sequence of events should have been this...1. Actually try to achieve tier-1 with the bread and butter models (TL, RL, MDX). Once the image has improved, even if they aren't at tier-1 yet (but at least have given it a god honest try and are considered at least a legitimate contender), then they can release something outrageous like this to piggyback on their tier-1 aspirations.

Honestly, i think if they wanted to have Acura as the "green" premium alternative, they should've focused on giving their potential customers performance AND green by pushing hybrid models that sacrificed no performance for greater fuel efficiency better than any other premium brand with hybrids.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by iforyou
I'm sure they did their cost/benefit analysis before making decisions like this one.
I'm sure the same people did a cost/benefit analysis when they figured the RL could settle with a V6 and standard AWD against the V8/RWD competition in an image-heavy segment.

Honestly, I think the people at Honda think more highly of Acura's image than their customers do...that's the only explanation for why they would think they can go half-ass yet succeed. Same with the ZDX...only a brand with this much confidence in their image would release a car like this. IMO (and most likely the general public's), Acura doesn't have an image they should be very confident about (especially with that schnoz of a grille that's been almost universally panned).

Last edited by mrdeeno; 08-20-2009 at 09:11 PM.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Originally Posted by I Go To Costco
I suppose they could have fitted an automatic transmission to the S2000.... but that would have sapped the soul out of it.
I shudder at the thought of the S2000 with an AT. EWWWWWW. Thank goodness Honda didn't do that.

My post wasn't intended to diminish yours, but rather put some logic into the discussion. Thanks for your posts too.
Oh, no, I didn't think you were diminishing my post. BTW, I also learned something about bringing a product to market from your last couple of posts, as well. I didn't know that those folks were paid whether or not the car was produced if the production proceeded beyond a certain point.

Just one other comment about the ZDX: That interior is still pretty damned near perfect. I can see spending time inside it and will certainly be visiting my dealer when it is finally released. I still don't see myself buying one--I consider myself a car enthusiast and thus enamored of power and a different look than the ZDX--but that doesn't mean I can't go look.

Originally Posted by mrdeeno
The sequence of events should have been this...1. Actually try to achieve tier-1 with the bread and butter models (TL, RL, MDX). Once the image has improved, even if they aren't at tier-1 yet (but at least have given it a god honest try and are considered at least a legitimate contender), then they can release something outrageous like this to piggyback on their tier-1 aspirations.
I completely agree and said essentially the same on the last page. Infiiniti is going with this approach and has garnered praise for it.

Last edited by neuronbob; 08-20-2009 at 09:13 PM.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:23 PM
Suzuka Master

Oh, no, I didn't think you were diminishing my post. BTW, I also learned something about bringing a product to market from your last couple of posts, as well. I didn't know that those folks were paid whether or not the car was produced if the production proceeded beyond a certain point.
It does make a lot of sense once you think deeper about it. At some point, you have to produce the dies to stamp production body panels. I know that each of these dies costs a whole bunch of money and there are how many on this car? 9-10? I think I read that they also needed a special process to make the heavily creased rear flank, but I forget where I saw it. I also know for a fact that a prototype was shown to dealer principals back at last year's dealer meeting. March I think. So if you put it all together, this was set for production well before the economy turned bad.

Last edited by neuronbob; 08-21-2009 at 09:36 AM.
Old 08-20-2009, 10:44 PM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts

This is pretty lame excuse. Oil crises ($4 a gallon) started last May. Market collapse started last september. This two events are 18 months far way from ZDX December sale point. And ZDX is sharing engines/transmission/platform/navigation even the interior design with TL/MDX. so what is so specifc about ZDX that was developed for it? Practically nothing. it is not like special hybrid engine or DSG transmission or stretched 115inch wheel base or light weight carbon fibre that can only be used into this car.
Old 08-21-2009, 08:20 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,178 Likes on 2,594 Posts
It does make a lot of sense once you think deeper about it. At some point, you have to produce the dies to stamp production body panels. I know that each of these dies costs about a half million and there are how many on this car? 9-10? I think I read that they also needed a special process to make the heavily creased rear flank, but I forget where I saw it. I also know for a fact that a prototype was shown to dealer principals back at last year's dealer meeting. March I think. So if you put it all together, this was set for production well before the economy turned bad.
, and that's for the soft skin metal. The thicker sheet metal for the floorpan, side unibody sections, roof unibody, firewall, trunk wall require more durable tooling. Most of tooling is made with EDM die stamping process. The tooling also wears with time and sometimes need to be replaced and if multiple plants are building the vehicles they need their stamping die sets also. That tooling cost ~$1-3M per toolset, so it adds up quickly in NRE costs.

Also all the smaller tooling for injection molded plastics cost money. Figure ~$10-100K per moldset, so all those plastic piece's for interior parts such as dashes, door panels, center console, and such.

Although alot of assemblies can be shared (drivetrain, suspension, brakes, electronics,...) most of what you see on a vehicle are not so all that stuff you see requires alot of tooling.

Although probably the bulk of the ZDX internals (drivetrain, brakes, suspension,...) draw from the MDX, I'd be very surprised if any of the visible pieces are shared. That goes from a taillight assembly all the way to the plastic trim for the door switch assembly.

All that tooling adds up in costs for a production start. The prototypes get away with much simplier and cheaper tooling that is not made to last for many uses. They use hardwood and rubber molds, sometimes rapid protyping mold (although RP molds are not very accurate). The bottom line is the NRE tooling for the prototypes is far cheaper than the NRE production but then again each prototype cost is far higher than the production unit's cost.

I was a engineering manager at a telecom company and we'd use rubber and hardwood tooling for some plastics, and alot of the sheet metal was laser cut and pressbreak formed. Once we decided on production, metal tooling was designed and purchased by outside vendors. We had to pay the NRE for all the tooling upfront. I was used to $0.5M-1M ASIC chip mask NRE, but the total for all the plastic and sheetmetal was almost $100K and I had a hard time with that since it was just for some simple looking tooling.
Old 08-21-2009, 08:34 AM
AZ Community Team

What's kinda lost in this thread is IMO that Acura is not being too creative with their strategic and tactical visions.

On the tatical side the ZDX is sorta thier X6, the RDX their X3, and MDX their X5. In a sense they've copied the BMW approach to SUV's which wasn't necessaryu a bad thing just not too creative.

On the strategic side, going with the SHAWD is copying the Audi approach of the 80's and 90's. Audi's since the 60's has been a FWD platform company. With the Quarto introduction in the 80's they went to AWD. Until the RWD R8 they are basically a FWD/AWD company sharing alot of platforms and components with VW.

Now Acura is doing the same thing although they did up the AWD tech with the superior side-torque vectoring differentials before Audi and others have copied it.

Acura is still a FWD company moving in a AWD direction, personally I'd rather see a RWD platform approach due to the power/fuel loss and weight penalties of a AWD system.

With the S2000 and NSX they've proven they know how to make great RWD platforms for two seaters, I'd just like to see what they can do a four passenger/four door approach.
Old 08-21-2009, 08:35 AM
Go Big Blue!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
This is an excellent point.

It doesn't diminish what I'm saying, though, that Acura is trying to diversify. BMW sells so much because they have a very wide variety of cars...3 series coupe/sedan/M, 5 series sedan variants/M, roadsters, 7 series....and on and on. The timing of this particular release is certainly not good, but Acura had little control over that other than to say "maybe we'll delay release and see what happens in the economy". I might have done that, but we certainly don't have the same information that Acura's head honchos have.
Agree. I get a chuckle at how serious people think they know better. Arm chair quarterbacks.
Old 08-21-2009, 08:44 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by SpicyMikey
Agree. I get a chuckle at how serious people think they know better. Arm chair quarterbacks.
, a few of the Monday Morning Managers on this thread are amusing to say the least. Probably most if not all have never worked on any product from concept to market.
Old 08-21-2009, 09:00 AM
Go Big Blue!

Originally Posted by Legend2TL
, a few of the Monday Morning Managers on this thread are amusing to say the least. Probably most if not all have never worked on any product from concept to market.
Exactly. I'm not trying to belittle the activity. If nothing else, it's fun. I understand that. It's just that sometimes it seems we take ourselves (and our ideas) a little too serious. That's when I get a chuckle.
Old 08-21-2009, 09:12 AM
Senior Moderator

Of course not everyone here has worked in auto engineering or whatever, so we don't have the expertise. We're just trying to figure out where Acura is coming from. Comments/tidbits from Colin and those in the know help us to understand better.
Old 08-21-2009, 10:15 AM
Suzuka Master

We shouldn't criticize Acura at all, because all their "experts" are, after all, experts. Besides, the performance of these experts are proven...they have successfully raised their image and are competing with tier-1 brands and are pursuing the direction that they had laid out since the brand's inception!

If Acura was doing well from a brand image perspective and didn't change which way they want to take the brand every year, maybe no one would be playing armchair quarterback. But at this point, the armchair quarterbacks could probably make better decisions than their current management does.
Old 08-21-2009, 10:35 AM
Go Big Blue!

We shouldn't criticize Acura at all, because all their "experts" are, after all, experts. Besides, the performance of these experts are proven...they have successfully raised their image and are competing with tier-1 brands and are pursuing the direction that they had laid out since the brand's inception!

If Acura was doing well from a brand image perspective and didn't change which way they want to take the brand every year, maybe no one would be playing armchair quarterback. But at this point, the armchair quarterbacks could probably make better decisions than their current management does.
That's the kind of stuff I'm talking about. No offense mrdeeno, you offer intelligent thought provoking comments everytime. But you have no idea what Honda managements real goals are with Acura. Admit that. For all we know, they are quite happy with it being exactly what it is, and all this talk from them is just pandering to the enthusiasts to keep them interested.

I'm just making a point that we are probably overreaching when we start assuming we know what they should be doing based on our myopic views of what we want them to be. Myself included.

Sorry for injecting cold reality into the fun talk. It was a momentary lapse in judgment. I was just trying to agree and support Bob's reality check comment.
Old 08-21-2009, 10:41 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

That's the kind of stuff I'm talking about. No offense mrdeeno, you offer intelligent thought provoking comments everytime. But you have no idea what Honda managements real goals are with Acura. Admit that. For all we know, they are quite happy with it being exactly what it is, and all this talk from them is just pandering to the enthusiasts to keep them interested.

I'm just making a point that we are probably overreaching when we start assuming we know what they should be doing based on our myopic views of what we want them to be. Myself included.

Sorry for injecting cold reality into the fun talk. It was a momentary lapse in judgment. I was just trying to agree and support Bob's reality check comment.
It's pretty clear what Honda's goal is for Acura: Sell as many cars and make as much $$$ as possible. No doubt that is the same for any car company.

...but that's not the debate.....the debate is about the odd offerings from Acura that have come of late. Long time Acura fans are scratching their heads and heading off to other car makers with their $$$ beacause Acura is "out in left field".

We all have opinions....and yes, they matter....hence why all car makers are crazy about focus groups.\

Sure we are not engineers, bean counters, and the like for Honda, but we as enthusiasts know what we like and dislike. We know when we see huge gaps in the Acura line-up that should be filled.....features that should be offered..........and we see them being filled and offered by other makes.

When we see what we like at other car makers...then look to Acura and see that it's not there....we are left to and .....because we want Acura to compete with the rest.
Old 08-21-2009, 11:11 AM
Suzuka Master

You're right, we don't know what Honda's goals are for Acura...but that's pretty obvious when you have a company that says one thing, does something counter to what they said, and then changes their directions once a year...how is ANYONE going to know what its goals are? They're like a soccer player that just juggles the ball while running around in circles...of course no one's gonna know which side his goal's on. I'll admit I don't know what Honda's goals are, but then you must also admit that you have no idea about the credibility of these managers either, especially based on their performance over the years in regards to Acura. And I will admit that based on the decisions made and products released and statements made, enthusiast POV or not, Honda has been making utterly stupid decisions in regards to Acura.

When a company gives a statement such as "we're gonna be tier-1", then its actions counter that, we have a right to criticize that management doesn't know what they'r doing. Then when they release another statement that they're gonna focus on "green", and then release a niche product that should be released by a tier-1 brand (something they stated they are abandoning), again this goes counter to what they have stated.

Their current management has NOT succeeded, their current management continually waffles in their goals, and their current management releases prodcuts that counter what they say. Why would you give them credit just because they're "insiders"? They have shown no inkling of worth no matter what their goals are. And don't tell me that they are worth something because they achieved the position they're in...there's plenty of examples of managers that have no credibility whatsoever, yet were able to rise to their position.
Old 08-21-2009, 11:20 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Whatever the reason for its ultimate release and we can argue about the reasons all day. It doesn't change the fact that its one hell of an ugly vehicle.
Old 08-21-2009, 11:21 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
It's pretty clear what Honda's goal is for Acura: Sell as many cars and make as much $$$ as possible. No doubt that is the same for any car company.

...but that's not the debate.....the debate is about the odd offerings from Acura that have come of late. Long time Acura fans are scratching their heads and heading off to other car makers with their $$$ beacause Acura is "out in left field".

We all have opinions....and yes, they matter....hence why all car makers are crazy about focus groups.\

Sure we are not engineers, bean counters, and the like for Honda, but we as enthusiasts know what we like and dislike. We know when we see huge gaps in the Acura line-up that should be filled.....features that should be offered..........and we see them being filled and offered by other makes.

When we see what we like at other car makers...then look to Acura and see that it's not there....we are left to and .....because we want Acura to compete with the rest.
If you think about it, people who don't like or care for Acura don't post here. so no matter how much we criticize honda/Acura, it's because we care where the brand is going and would jump back in the fold as soon as they have something to fill in the gaps that drove people who like Acura to other brands.
Old 08-21-2009, 11:27 AM
Go Big Blue!

I think we agree more than we disagree. Can't defend some of the schizo behavior we've seen from that company in the last few years. I've taken that position already in the past. I'm assuming it's due to infighting between HMC and AHC, with the Acura product division looking like it doesn't know if it's coming or going. But that's just my opinion. I won't say it's fact.

But you're right I'm probably giving them the benefit of the doubt that many are not. Maybe it's my age. I'm older then the average on here. The older you get the less certain you are that you have all the answers. Ask any teenager. They know everything.
Old 08-21-2009, 11:38 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
So who here is going to buy a ZDX?
Old 08-21-2009, 11:42 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LOL, how pathetic, look at these people on this board having a futile arguments.

Acura/Honda employees PHD's, masters, analysis and more competent people working everyday together to reach a good management decision. I am pretty sure there was an extensive research performed prior to releasing this new vehicle. And after evaluating and predicting future senarious and outocomes, they have came to the decision to manufacture this vechicle. Obviously, the Acura/honda has reached this decision based on factual costs analysis, projected sales, net income to expenses budget, and more reports.

And you guys are trying to argue amongst yourselves that they have made good or bad decision? Based on what? You guys are coming up with such opinion based on small factual and with heavy subjective views.
LOL
Old 08-21-2009, 11:44 AM
Go Big Blue!

I might. It might make a good replacement for my MDX lease that's up in 14 months. By then all my kids will have their own cars and be in college. Empty nester syndrome. I like the fact that it's even more upscale than the current MDX and also that it has the hatch to give it utility for hauling stuff. Would make a good second car next to the Z4s35i I will have in another year or so (hopeful thinking)

Like most, I don't care for the weird door handles in the back or it's high stance. The grill? I've already gotten used to it. It's a non factor.
Old 08-21-2009, 11:51 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by msl82
LOL, how pathetic, look at these people on this board having a futile arguments.

Acura/Honda employees PHD's, masters, analysis and more competent people working everyday together to reach a good management decision. I am pretty sure there was an extensive research performed prior to releasing this new vehicle. And after evaluating and predicting future senarious and outocomes, they have came to the decision to manufacture this vechicle. Obviously, the Acura/honda has reached this decision based on factual costs analysis, projected sales, net income to expenses budget, and more reports.

And you guys are trying to argue amongst yourselves that they have made good or bad decision? Based on what? You guys are coming up with such opinion based on small factual and with heavy subjective views.
LOL
Two letters: RL
Old 08-21-2009, 11:54 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

And you guys are trying to argue amongst yourselves that they have made good or bad decision? Based on what? You guys are coming up with such opinion based on small factual and with heavy subjective views.[/SIZE]
LOL
Were these the same competent people that did all the exhaustive research yet still decided to release the RL? The same geniuses that guesstimated 100K Insights and 40K RDX's sold per year?

No doubt these people aren't dummies. But everyone makes mistakes. Acura executives included.

Last edited by dom; 08-21-2009 at 11:56 AM.
Old 08-21-2009, 12:17 PM
Suzuka Master

LOL
Back in the day when GM was making money badge-whoring a single model to like 50 different brands with poor quality parts and poor assembly while the imports were making inroads, I'm sure they were criticized, yet someone like you came along and said GM knows what they're doing since they're being run by people with PhD's and MBA's and did their research and are more competent than the critics.

Back in the SUV/truck boom days when GM was making money on gas guzzling monstrosities when all signs pointed to the fact that this wasn't sustainable, I'm sure they were criticized, yet someone like you came along and said GM knows what they're doing since they're being run by PhD's and MBA's and did their research and are more competent than the critics.

And as Acura digs its hole deeper and deeper and is criticized for it, someone like you comes along and says they know what they're doing since they're being run by people with PhD's and MBA's and did their research and are more competent than the critics.

Yes, pathetic indeed.
Old 08-21-2009, 12:30 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Every auto maker does extensive research before releasing new vehicles. His post suggests that because they have competent people doing research, mistakes can never made in the automotive world. We all know that's the furthest thing from reality.
Old 08-21-2009, 12:32 PM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 711 Likes on 429 Posts
Not many people are over 65 here...
Old 08-21-2009, 12:37 PM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 711 Likes on 429 Posts
Back in the day when GM was making money badge-whoring a single model to like 50 different brands with poor quality parts and poor assembly while the imports were making inroads, I'm sure they were criticized, yet someone like you came along and said GM knows what they're doing since they're being run by people with PhD's and MBA's and did their research and are more competent than the critics.

Back in the SUV/truck boom days when GM was making money on gas guzzling monstrosities when all signs pointed to the fact that this wasn't sustainable, I'm sure they were criticized, yet someone like you came along and said GM knows what they're doing since they're being run by PhD's and MBA's and did their research and are more competent than the critics.

And as Acura digs its hole deeper and deeper and is criticized for it, someone like you comes along and says they know what they're doing since they're being run by people with PhD's and MBA's and did their research and are more competent than the critics.

Yes, pathetic indeed.
When BMW bangled their cars, lots of people here told them that they're idiots and that they're going to lose sales as a result. When Porsche made the Cayenne, people thought they were crazy, especially since that thing looked like ass. Now it's the same with the Panamera, the car looks like ass and yet it's getting great reviews and probably will sell like hotcakes.

I don't see any reason for the ZDX and I would never consider getting one, but I don't discount the possibility that Acura could make a lot of money on it from people who are nothing like me.
Old 08-21-2009, 12:40 PM
Senior Moderator

^ The difference there, though, is that Acura doesn't have the same image and prestige as BMW and Porsche.

Quick Reply: Acura: ZDX News