Acura: TLX News

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2003, 08:47 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Bluetooth technology has been somewhat of a flop. The gadgets that came out were too expensive and with limited range. In the car environment, range shouldn't be an issue, but price still will. I once had an Ericsson T-28 World phone which had Bluetooth wireless accessories. The wireless earpiece was $200 dollars!!!! For an earpiece!!!! Needless to say the T-28 World was dropped and Ericsson doesn't even make cellphones anymore (Sony picked up that business).

There are Bluetooth keyboards and some Bluetooth enabled PDAs (I think...not so sure on that one). So what will Bluetooth do on the TL???? Beats me. May be you can type something on your wireless keyboard to your laptop while driving

Sounds very gimmicky to me. I think for better or for worse, Bluetooth is a dead technology especially since 802.11b and now g protocols allow greater range and bandwith.

In the future, if some sort of mobile wireless server can be placed in the car with 802.11 transmitters/receivers than you can leapfrog over BMW's silly iDrive system and have a totally wireless environment in your car, getting map data, weather and traffic data, sync with your pda and/or laptop, get data from your work via a VPN connection, access voicemail, e-mail, etc....I mean this would be cool. Use voice-commands to request any song in mp3 format, and the car would download that song from the nearest 802.11g access point and play the song, cool. The applications would be limitless. Insurance rates would soar too from all the accidents.
Old 07-24-2003, 08:59 PM
Instructor

THANKS for the colors Justin!!
Old 07-24-2003, 09:30 PM
Pro

Thumbs down XM Radio and DVD Audio 5.1

Hey RJC RSX,

XM finally answered my question about DVD 5.1 broadcasts, here is the question and reply:

Doesn't look good for now.

>Qusetion:
> Does XM have any stations that currently transmit in DVD 5.1 audio?
>
> If you do not, will you have it in the near future?
>
> Thanks, soon to be an XM subscriber

---

Answer:

Dear XXXXX,

We broadcast a fully digital signal and we are evaluating ways to support the "surround sound" format

Best Regards,

Shawn
XM Listener Care
1-800-852-9696
Old 07-24-2003, 09:32 PM
TSX Lover

Originally posted by 92vigor
Does anyone know of a list of bluetooth enabled phones? I have looked around and there don't appear to be very many and none for Sprint. What good is this feature if there are no phones to use it with? The technology has been around for several years so we can't expect a bunch of new bluetooth phones to be on the market anytime soon . . .
This is all I could find: http://www.bluetooth.com/tech/produc...AT=ALL&CAT2=24
Old 07-24-2003, 09:33 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally posted by Gebbeth
Lets face it, the '03 TL is dated and sales are strong, but the car is done. The TSX was only suppossed to have a production run of 15,000 cars, so it wasn't suppossed to be a car for the masses, so why risk '04 TL sales for the TSX and '03 TL?

At least throw in some Ghostbusters like ads (you know no words but plastered all over the place), people will be drawn in when the car finally comes out. Right now, virtually nil.
I disagree with your opinion on this, but it is just my opinion vs. your opinion and thats the idea of a forum anyway. I wanted to point out that some of the "facts" that need a closer look.

First TSXs will be made at a volume of 20,000 per year, not 15,000. This 15K number is the amount planned for the remainder of 2003. They can make a few more if needed.

Second, the TL is actually Acura's volume car. At it't peak in 2000-01 the TL sold around 60-70,000 units a year. Expectations are the same or higher for the new car.

Third, advertising will start soon enough, we're just an impatient lot, the lunatic fringe.
Old 07-24-2003, 09:47 PM
More On

Originally posted by Colin
.....TSXs will be made at a volume of 20,000 per year, not 15,000. This 15K number is the amount planned for the remainder of 2003.....
That's exactly what I thought about the 15K too -- but then some people on here found the supposed actual quotes from Acura, which sure made it sound like they meant per year, i.e. per 12 months.

(Even though, just as you also say, I never thought the 15K was cast in stone anyway.)
Old 07-24-2003, 09:51 PM
Pro

Re: Re: Re: Here is a bit of a shocker!

Originally posted by justinjsw
Sorry no white with ebony combo.
Justin, let me also say thanks for the update, but I am fully depressed

White with gray is whimppy, white with tan, even worse.

I don't do dark colors and silver is too popular for me

I may have to do abyss, or settle for wht/gry

Thanks anyway, something else to ponder, but I truely think this car looks best in light colors (based on the spy's in black, and the concept in silver).

What happened to the Canadian colors, they had wht/ebony with the HPT option only, any chance???
Old 07-24-2003, 09:55 PM
OG

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Here is a bit of a shocker!

Originally posted by need4spd
Justin, let me also say thanks for the update, but I am fully depressed

White with gray is whimppy, white with tan, even worse.

I don't do dark colors and silver is too popular for me

I may have to do abyss, or settle for wht/gry

Thanks anyway, something else to ponder, but I truely think this car looks best in light colors (based on the spy's in black, and the concept in silver).

What happened to the Canadian colors, they had wht/ebony with the HPT option only, any chance???
Quartz will probably be two tone...like what they have in the MDX now. So take it look and decide then.
Old 07-24-2003, 09:57 PM
Pro

I do not know if the first allocation of TLs for early October the dealers can actually pick and choose the colors/trims they want or if the factory will just pick for us. I will know by the weekend.
Thanks Justin, can't wait till next week!

One additional thing (without adding a post)

Thanks, I will check the MDX Quartz, but I currently have a white pearl car with black interior, best combo I ever had!

Even though it was a 4dr sdn, it made it that much more sport!
Old 07-24-2003, 09:59 PM
Suzuka Master

So what will Bluetooth do on the TL???? Beats me.
As I understand it, it will allow your phone to "discover" the car and enable a wireless hookup and hands free operation. Also, a bluetooth enabled pda will be able to upload the address book to the navi system. To answer another question on which phones are bluetooth enabled? My T68i is and I think many of the newer phones from sony/ericsson are as well.
Old 07-24-2003, 10:07 PM
Pro

Thumbs up Thanks

Colin, What are the chances that you will move to New York? I could really use a knowledgeable salesperson like you. Really appreciate all your input and Justin's (Justin, not sure if your in sales, but if you are, same goes for you!)

Same goes for stash, and so on, too many to name.
Old 07-24-2003, 10:11 PM
More On

Re: Thanks

Colin, What are the chances that you will move to New York? I could really use a knowledgeable salesperson like you. Really appreciate all your input and Justin's (Justin, not sure if your in sales, but if you are, same goes for you!)

Right. It shows we're far from right when we talk about salesmen not knowing stuff. (When we say that, we just mean the ones who really don't, which unfortunately seems to be quite a few.)

But yeah, hats off to our dudes -- big-time!
Old 07-24-2003, 10:15 PM
OG

Re: Thanks

I went from Honda marketing to finance/sales. And no Im not moving back to NY. I left there 6 years ago after finishing school. Used to live at 57th/Boardway in Manhattan.

But no problems glad we can help...>>>dumb salepeople
Old 07-24-2003, 10:17 PM
More On

Re: Re: Thanks

.....Used to live at 57th/Broadway in Manhattan.....
I guess that means you know how to get to Carnegie Hall.
Old 07-24-2003, 10:33 PM
Race Director

Originally posted by nh-603p
I just recieved news from our zone manager about the acura east picture shoot and why there are two different debuts for the TL ( Niagara on the Lake-Canada and San Fran-California )aparently the dynamic and the hpt package are completely different. The hpt will be the 18's and all that but the dynamic package will have a 5 inch lift with 33" mudders and the vtm-4 to combat all that vast desert like terrain up here in canada.
DID YOU SAY VTM-4?!!?? :'(
Old 07-24-2003, 10:40 PM
OG

100 POSTs
Old 07-24-2003, 10:40 PM
Intermediate

Re: Re: Thanks

I went from Honda marketing to finance/sales. And no Im not moving back to NY. I left there 6 years ago after finishing school. Used to live at 57th/Boardway in Manhattan.

But no problems glad we can help...>>>dumb salepeople
O/T: So Justin, did u work for Honda Corporate in Torrance? Any secrets on getting in there? I've been sending resume's left and right, called HR with no luck, etc. I've gotta get away from the East Coast, the weather sucks in the winter. Plus, my dad lives in LA, so it would be nice to be closer to him. Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 07-24-2003, 10:45 PM
OG

Re: Re: Re: Thanks

Originally posted by CK03RSX-S
O/T: So Justin, did u work for Honda Corporate in Torrance? Any secrets on getting in there? I've been sending resume's left and right, called HR with no luck, etc. I've gotta get away from the East Coast, the weather sucks in the winter. Plus, my dad lives in LA, so it would be nice to be closer to him. Any advice would be appreciated.
What did you major in? Depends on what you want to do also...Marketing? Sales? Finance? R/D? All I can say is keep at it till they say yes. A business degree helps.
Old 07-24-2003, 10:53 PM
Suzuka Master

The Bluetooth technology has been somewhat of a flop. The gadgets that came out were too expensive and with limited range. In the car environment, range shouldn't be an issue, but price still will. I once had an Ericsson T-28 World phone which had Bluetooth wireless accessories. The wireless earpiece was $200 dollars!!!! For an earpiece!!!! Needless to say the T-28 World was dropped and Ericsson doesn't even make cellphones anymore (Sony picked up that business).

There are Bluetooth keyboards and some Bluetooth enabled PDAs (I think...not so sure on that one). So what will Bluetooth do on the TL???? Beats me. May be you can type something on your wireless keyboard to your laptop while driving

Sounds very gimmicky to me. I think for better or for worse, Bluetooth is a dead technology especially since 802.11b and now g protocols allow greater range and bandwith.

In the future, if some sort of mobile wireless server can be placed in the car with 802.11 transmitters/receivers than you can leapfrog over BMW's silly iDrive system and have a totally wireless environment in your car, getting map data, weather and traffic data, sync with your pda and/or laptop, get data from your work via a VPN connection, access voicemail, e-mail, etc....I mean this would be cool. Use voice-commands to request any song in mp3 format, and the car would download that song from the nearest 802.11g access point and play the song, cool. The applications would be limitless. Insurance rates would soar too from all the accidents.
Bluetooth is nowhere near gone. In fact, it is growing very rapidly.

The technology is excellent and affordable. Your data is old. There are Bluetooth phones (Nokia 3650) that can be had for free, if you look hard enough. This particular phone also has a built in camera and speakerphone.

PC peripherals are available in bluetooth and many PDA's.

Don't expect Bluetooth to be gone any time soon!

If Bluetooth is integrated properly and you have Navi, you should be able to see your entire phone directory on your Navi screen, dial the phone through Navi and also see CallerID. Essentially, you can leave your phone in your trunk, pocket, purse, glove compartment, etc. and still make and receive calls as if it were in your hand.
Old 07-24-2003, 10:56 PM
Pro

What about without Navi
Old 07-24-2003, 10:58 PM
Intermediate

Re: Re: Re: Re: Thanks

What did you major in? Depends on what you want to do also...Marketing? Sales? Finance? R/D? All I can say is keep at it till they say yes. A business degree helps.
Undergrad is double in marketing/finance and grad is finance. i've been looking at all three areas of marketing, finance, and sales (what I'm doing now). I think I'm as obsessed as with the TL.
Old 07-24-2003, 11:02 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts
Originally posted by 2004TL
DID YOU SAY VTM-4?!!?? :'(
I caught that too. Where's Stash...
Old 07-24-2003, 11:03 PM
Race Director

Originally posted by EmuMessenger

The technology is excellent and affordable. Your data is old. There are Bluetooth phones (Nokia 3650) that can be had for free, if you look hard enough. This particular phone also has a built in camera and speakerphone.

If Bluetooth is integrated properly and you have Navi, you should be able to see your entire phone directory on your Navi screen, dial the phone through Navi and also see CallerID. Essentially, you can leave your phone in your trunk, pocket, purse, glove compartment, etc. and still make and receive calls as if it were in your hand.
Ya when u get a call u can see whos calling on the Navi Screen.

They could later update the firmware so the Navi can communicate with a PDA, and see all your appointments and information on the screen, so you get a bigger screen..

It might even come with the car or it just might all be a update later on
Old 07-24-2003, 11:12 PM
Race Director

What about without Navi
Than your screwed

Or Bluetooth is only available with NAVI

Nah, It might be like a Maxima, in which the NON-Navi's still have a screen with menus on it for options and etc..
Old 07-24-2003, 11:14 PM
Race Director

Originally posted by phile
He also said VTM-4 was for the canadian market, So Honda dont be surprised if 90% of your sales start going to Canada

We can all Rent a Big School Bus and take a trip to Canada
Old 07-25-2003, 12:12 AM
Intermediate

Originally posted by EmuMessenger

I agree. Bluetooth is technology just waiting for a "killer application". I belive a built-in fully integrated handsfree kit for your car just might be it. Acura, MB and BMW are all scheduled to have this for 2004. Parrot, Nokia and Motorola make third-party kits that don't come close to the functionality we'll see from the built-in kits but are impressive non the less.

You should look at Bluetooth as a wireless replacement for your USB serial--running at 1mbit/s. You'll eventually see it in MP3 players, printers, keyboards, mice, etc.
Old 07-25-2003, 12:38 AM
Race Director

Originally posted by SSH
I agree. Bluetooth is technology just waiting for a "killer application". I belive a built-in fully integrated handsfree kit for your car just might be it. Acura, MB and BMW are all scheduled to have this for 2004. Parrot, Nokia and Motorola make third-party kits that don't come close to the functionality we'll see from the built-in kits but are impressive non the less.

You should look at Bluetooth as a wireless replacement for your USB serial--running at 1mbit/s. You'll eventually see it in MP3 players, printers, keyboards, mice, etc.
Your right SSH, one day Bluetooth will just be a normal thing and will be cheap and it will be incorporated in many things, but when will this day come..

This technology has been out couple years now and we have been promised a wide universal selection of electronics with bluetooth, but the technology is a slow crawler, and hasn't really catched on, Maybe the handsfree will do it, but I doubt it..

I am actually already looking into buying a SE T610 or a Moto V600 because of the Bluetooth features which will come in handy later for my 2004 TL
Old 07-25-2003, 01:11 AM
Pro

Camel???

Is this going to be the same shade that was in my '95 TL?
Old 07-25-2003, 03:20 AM
Advanced

Bluetooth....hmmm....still don't get it. So you have something in a car for which the availability of accessories and what-not is limited and may not happen for several years. Let's get real, all that just so you can use your cell phone hands free?

Let's take a vote, how many of you would rather dump the Bluetooth and DVD-Audio for an extra 50 hp or IMA or RWD?

I haven't seen the car or driven it yet or even seen any reliable specs on the car (which was my original point re: Honda/Acura marketing), but why do I get the distinct feeling that other than the new sheet metal, the car is only a marginal performance enhancement over the TL-S with no radical changes. My thinking is that the Bluetooth and DVD-Audio was thrown in because Honda/Acura engineers knew they didn't much improve the car performance wise to compete with BMW, Audi, Infiniti and the like so they put in things that were easy to include with the minimum of engineering difficulties. I mean if there is no RWD or AWD and a marginal increase in HP, is this car going to be such a big deal?

I get the feeling the engineers and sales people wanted something fresh and new and bold, but the brass said NO, too much risk, we shall make marginal improvements only. May be the TSX will be the better deal after all.

My two cents.
Old 07-25-2003, 03:58 AM
More On

.....I mean if there is no RWD or AWD and a marginal increase in HP, is this car going to be such a big deal?......
Well, how about the opposite: If it were RWD, would there be any great interest or market in the car at all?

I believe the Acura audience, by and large, is a FWD audience.
Old 07-25-2003, 04:15 AM
Suzuka Master

Let's take a vote, how many of you would rather dump the Bluetooth and DVD-Audio for an extra 50 hp or IMA or RWD?

My thinking is that the Bluetooth and DVD-Audio was thrown in because Honda/Acura engineers knew they didn't much improve the car performance wise to compete with BMW, Audi, Infiniti and the like so they put in things that were easy to include with the minimum of engineering difficulties. I mean if there is no RWD or AWD and a marginal increase in HP, is this car going to be such a big deal?
Are you Gliboman?

Anyway, this is an new chassis and like the current TL it will offer a lot a bang for the buck. RWD is not a part of the picture here. If Acura were to develop an all new RWD chassis, they could not offer it in the TL price range (assuming mid-30s). To be frank, I do pine for a nice RWD sedan from Acura, but then I really drive my cars, I'd bet 90% of BMW owners don't even know why their trunks are so small....

Finally, I don't think dumping Bluetooth and DVD would save enough to buy us AWD, or RWD or more HP. If you really believe this (and were not just trying to make a point) then you are sadly misinformed with the economics needed to bring a new car to the market.
Old 07-25-2003, 04:18 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by Precision Crafted
Camel???

Is this going to be the same shade that was in my '95 TL?
If I remember correctly, Camel is (or was once) offered on the NSX. I'd guess it's pretty similar to the old tan interior on the 1st generation TLs.
Old 07-25-2003, 04:53 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by Precision Crafted
Camel???
On page 60 of the first TL thread there is a color swatch of the camel interior, but it is incorrectly labeled as carmel though. See if that helps.
Old 07-25-2003, 06:01 AM
Racer

Originally posted by phile
I picked up my TSX yesterday so I have already put 140 miles on it in 24 hours

I think he was joking.........I dont have time to read all the responses today so I hope yall are messing with me
Old 07-25-2003, 06:09 AM
Burning Brakes

Yes that VTM-4 remark was definitely a joke
Old 07-25-2003, 06:11 AM
Burning Brakes

Re: XM Radio and DVD Audio 5.1

Hey RJC RSX,

XM finally answered my question about DVD 5.1 broadcasts, here is the question and reply:

Doesn't look good for now.

>Qusetion:
> Does XM have any stations that currently transmit in DVD 5.1 audio?
>
> If you do not, will you have it in the near future?
>
> Thanks, soon to be an XM subscriber

---

Answer:

Dear XXXXX,

We broadcast a fully digital signal and we are evaluating ways to support the "surround sound" format

Best Regards,

Shawn
XM Listener Care
1-800-852-9696
Thanks for the update, as well as the PM. At least they didn't rule it out, and it seems the digital technology would be capable of supporting the 5.1 format. Personally, I don't think it's a coincidence that the new TL comes with XM radio and 5.1 digital audio standard.
Old 07-25-2003, 07:29 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by 2004TL
Than your screwed

Or Bluetooth is only available with NAVI

Nah, It might be like a Maxima, in which the NON-Navi's still have a screen with menus on it for options and etc..
In a perfect world, all TL's will have the LCD for bluetooth and trip computer.

------------------------------------------------------

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What about without Navi
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It should definitely be available without Navi. Without Navi, I imagine there will either be a small control panel on the steering wheel or within reach and you will be able to answer the phone with that.
------------------------------------------------------

I forget who made the PDA comment, but if this system is done properly, it should integrate with a PDA from day one.
Old 07-25-2003, 07:57 AM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey Provench, please un-sticky the closed TL thread.
Old 07-25-2003, 08:04 AM
Suzuka Master

Hey Justin,

Here is another harmless, possibly laughable question.

The rear door looks kind of small. Will the back windows still go all the way down, like in the current TL?
Old 07-25-2003, 12:57 PM
Advanced

Dropping Bluetooth and DVD-A for more HP or RWD/AWD was not meant to be a one for one comparison with regard to price. I was trying to point out that the majority of the people on this board, if they were being honest, would want an RWD/AWD performance car in Acura's lineup rather than a car with Bluetooth and DVD-A. Would I pay more for AWD/RWD, yeah sure. Could Honda/Acura have done that with the TL and come in at a price point competitive with its closest competitors. Of course they could if they made it their goal! Infiniti has taken huge chances with the design of their cars. Some of their cars look butt ugly, but you can't help but admire some of the successes such as the G35. They took a chance. It seems to be working (judging from their sales).

And please, for you guys to be saying that "well Honda is a FWD company" like it is a company religion is not being honest with yourself. NSX and S2000 proves it's not their religion. It's a cost issue and Honda/Acura just doesn't want to take chances anymore. This is not the Honda/Acura we knew....in the 80's they said "why can't a Japanese manufacturer compete with the luxury makes" and came out with Acura and the Legend. That was when FWD was king. Now people want a little more and that slight performance edge is what they want, which is why it is so disappointing if it is true that the new TL or future models of Acura will not be FWD/AWD.

I think rumors that Honda wants to move downscale and start another division is an admission that internally Honda is having a debate over whether, with a predominantly FWD lineup, it is a more prudent strategy to move downscale rather than moving upscale. If this is true, it is a sad day for Honda.

I say this should be turned into an opportunity. Push the FWD designs down to the less expensive cars, use the Acura division to test and develop high-performance RWD and AWD systems, and recover some of those cost by implementing the Acura designs down to the Honda division so that Honda can have a mixed lineup of FWD/AWD/RWD cars that they can sell in higher volume. Will it happen? Probably not.

Lexus, BMW, Inifiti, Audi, Mercedes, they all have RWD cars...they aren't being stupid you know just for the sake of some phoney car philosophy.

Quick Reply: Acura: TLX News