Acura: TLX News

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 10:30 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,653 Likes on 13,892 Posts
And for the record, I own an Infiniti and MINI and you will never see me going on some stupid e-crusade about how great they are. I liked them for what they offered for the amount of $$$ I was willing to spend. Unfortunately, Acura had nothing that convinced me to give them my money. Which, in some ways, as a former Honda fanboi, is unfortunate.
The following users liked this post:
00TL-P3.2 (08-18-2014)
Old 08-18-2014, 12:03 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Originally Posted by Yumcha
And for the record, I own an Infiniti and MINI and you will never see me going on some stupid e-crusade about how great they are. I liked them for what they offered for the amount of $$$ I was willing to spend. Unfortunately, Acura had nothing that convinced me to give them my money. Which, in some ways, as a former Honda fanboi, is unfortunate.
I feel the same way.

I also love when butthurt Acura fanboys start dissing your own car when they run out of reasons why an Acura is a better choice than the competition. That's how you know you've touched a nerve!

- "BRZ Mafia"
The following 2 users liked this post by Costco:
jwong77 (08-18-2014), Yumcha (08-18-2014)
Old 08-18-2014, 12:10 PM

Received 5,885 Likes on 2,900 Posts
And for the record, I own an Infiniti and MINI and you will never see me going on some stupid e-crusade about how great they are.
That's because Sea Creature and..well...Mini.
Yumcha (08-18-2014)
Old 08-18-2014, 12:23 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
Since day 1, Acura has for the most part been selling glorified Honda's with more features and/or more performance such as the Legend, Integra, TL, CL, MDX, RDX, RL, ILX, and rebadged Honda's such as TSX, and NSX.

It's been almost 30 years since the brand emerged. People would have grown older, income levels might have changed (positively most likely), expectations would probably go up (i.e. a young adult might be okay with a FWD TSX, but over time as he makes more money he might want some faster and sportier such as a 335i).

In a way, unless Acura actually CHANGES direction, it might be difficult from these people to move back to an Acura, that is, until they need a SUV for the family. This is probably why the MDX is so popular.
Old 08-18-2014, 01:20 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
Originally Posted by ttribe
The Infinitis make me think this

Okay, maybe it's not that water pokemon-ish
Old 08-18-2014, 01:20 PM
Q('.')=O

Received 720 Likes on 520 Posts
I was at the dealer getting service done a few days ago and went to check out a black TLX in the show room. I gotta admit it looked better than I expected in person. The body lip kit helped a lot I think.
Old 08-18-2014, 01:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Listen here, you LEGOstomping kumquat, I'll have you know I resent you calling my FX a sea creature.

It's a sea cucumber.
ttribe (08-18-2014)
Old 08-18-2014, 01:28 PM
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by iforyou
Since day 1, Acura has for the most part been selling glorified Honda's with more features and/or more performance such as the Legend, Integra, TL, CL, MDX, RDX, RL, ILX, and rebadged Honda's such as TSX, and NSX.

It's been almost 30 years since the brand emerged. People would have grown older, income levels might have changed (positively most likely), expectations would probably go up (i.e. a young adult might be okay with a FWD TSX, but over time as he makes more money he might want some faster and sportier such as a 335i).

In a way, unless Acura actually CHANGES direction, it might be difficult from these people to move back to an Acura, that is, until they need a SUV for the family. This is probably why the MDX is so popular.
There's only so much Acura can do when its been a subsidiary of Honda ever since its inception. Now that Acura is given more autonomy in decision making you can certainly argue that it is starting to show sign of change. Of course we will have to wait before seeing these changes come to fruition. For now im very excited and waiting for my tlx to be delivered.
Old 08-18-2014, 01:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by 2007TL-TypeS
There's only so much Acura can do when its been a subsidiary of Honda ever since its inception. Now that Acura is given more autonomy in decision making you can certainly argue that it is starting to show sign of change. Of course we will have to wait before seeing these changes come to fruition. For now im very excited and waiting for my tlx to be delivered.
Truly, I truly hope you love your purchase and that the TLX meets every one of your expectations.

What color and package did you get?
Old 08-18-2014, 02:30 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
1sicklex <----- car talk ------> SSFTSXX

To us:

If a car is good then it is good. We do not focus on brand. (we will tell you a Ford Focus ST, GTI, GS350 (but not IS350), MDX, Mazda 3 and 6, and TLX 4 banger are the car to buy)
If a car is not good then it is not good (I drive a BMW and if you did some search on the forum, you will notice i will be the first one who criticizes BMW is whoring their models and i don't like the way F30 drives (by BMW's standard)
If a car is disappointing (but not bad), then we will tell as it is. It just happens that most of the cars Acura offers right now fall into this category.

There is no brand loyalty here in car talk. That is why "bashing Acura to justify my own purchase" is not valid in car talk.

Last edited by oonowindoo; 08-18-2014 at 02:38 PM.
Old 08-18-2014, 03:46 PM
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Truly, I truly hope you love your purchase and that the TLX meets every one of your expectations.

What color and package did you get?
Coming from a v6 type s I was naturally drawn to the v6 shawd until I learned of the fact the v6 version will NOT have a shift knob. You may think it's weird, but I just prefer my car to have an actual shift knob. That, plus all the positive reviews about the 8 spd + dct, made me lean toward the i-4. I also got the Tech pkg just for the premium sound system alone. The color is BWP with greystone interior.

Originally Posted by oonowindoo
1sicklex <----- car talk ------> SSFTSXX

To us:

If a car is good then it is good. We do not focus on brand. (we will tell you a Ford Focus ST, GTI, GS350 (but not IS350), MDX, Mazda 3 and 6, and TLX 4 banger are the car to buy)
If a car is not good then it is not good (I drive a BMW and if you did some search on the forum, you will notice i will be the first one who criticizes BMW is whoring their models and i don't like the way F30 drives (by BMW's standard)
If a car is disappointing (but not bad), then we will tell as it is. It just happens that most of the cars Acura offers right now fall into this category.

There is no brand loyalty here in car talk. That is why "bashing Acura to justify my own purchase" is not valid in car talk.
While I appreciate this straightforwardness, can you honestly say that your pov also represents everybody else's pov in this thread? I started following this thread since pg 151 "TLX announcement revealed.." and I can safely say that many people do bash Acura in order to justify their current car.
Old 08-18-2014, 03:49 PM
Senior Moderator

Coming from a v6 type s I was naturally drawn to the v6 shawd until I learned of the fact the v6 version will NOT have a shift knob. You may think it's weird, but I just prefer my car to have an actual shift knob. That, plus all the positive reviews about the 8 spd + dct, made me lean toward the i-4. I also got the Tech pkg just for the premium sound system alone. The color is BWP with greystone interior.

While I appreciate this straightforwardness, can you honestly say that your pov also represents everybody else's pov in this thread? I started following this thread since pg 151 "TLX announcement revealed.." and I can safely say that many people do bash Acura in order to justify their current car.
Nice. Post pics when you get it...and a review!

To your second comment, as I've said already, I don't see it. Certainly, SOME members will point to their CURRENT vehicle to provide context as to why Acura no longer works for them, but I do not interpret that as a "defense" or blind-bias for their current car.

For me, it's simple: Infiniti had a V8 RWD cross-over and some impressive tech offerings in the FX that Acura simply does not have. I still am happy with my purchase. Does that make me an Infiniti fanboi? I think not. Some of their recent concepts have been bum-ugly. Bad is bad.

Regardless of brand.
Old 08-18-2014, 03:53 PM

Nonsense.
The following 2 users liked this post by ttribe:
Costco (08-18-2014), fsttyms1 (08-18-2014)
Old 08-18-2014, 03:55 PM
Senior Moderator

Believe me, the ones who actually go praising up their existing car for the sake of it...those are weeded out quickly and a minority.

And those morons are often ridiculed. Again, most of the members here IMO are pretty objective.
Costco (08-18-2014)
Old 08-18-2014, 03:55 PM
Senior Moderator

I'm only biased against reposts and posts in the wrong thread.
The following 3 users liked this post by Yumcha:
Costco (08-18-2014), crazyasiantl (08-19-2014), Sarlacc (08-18-2014)
Old 08-18-2014, 03:58 PM

I'm only biased against reposts and posts in the wrong thread.
And people who don't like robots.
Old 08-18-2014, 04:00 PM
Senior Moderator

And people who don't like robots.
Oh yeah. Hating of the mecha is like grounds for 23414204714 moved posts right there...and a week in a locked room with Brockowned.
Old 08-18-2014, 04:40 PM
Team Owner

I can't say my POV represent EVERYBODY, but i can say while we have our differences in cars, but generally speaking our POV towards Acura is very similar.

While current Acura owners in the sub section might be happy where Acura is right now, but we are not. We are not happy with RLX that is selling at 200 units/month, ILX at 1000/month, 4G TL looked like that and Acura is behind everyone on engine implementations (Direct Injection, DCT and Force Inductions) and lastly how they put so much effort into RLX hybrid that is pretty much DOA while delaying the fix on the important cars like ILX and NSX.
We want Acura to improve. Being competitive is not enough, that is just another word for being average. We want Acura to be at the next level. So hopefully by then, they can offer something we want.

Last edited by oonowindoo; 08-18-2014 at 04:48 PM.
RPhilMan1 (08-19-2014)
Old 08-18-2014, 05:54 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
For sure. Some bad decisions were made in previous years. Things don't change over night but I can see signs that things are getting better. The brand still have some wtf products like the RLX and ILX but other than that it seems to be heading to the right direction. It's just that some of us would want the brand to make sportier variants of the their cars.

And congrats on your purchase!
Old 08-18-2014, 06:00 PM
Team Owner

Don't reply to my post.

You and i are done as far as TLX goes. Nothing else to talk about
Old 08-18-2014, 06:01 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
The irony...

You question somebody else's opinion, yet at the same time try to paint everyone's else with a broad brush? Indeed, if there were an S2000 successor, I would probably be in that right now. But Honda makes no such car.

For what it's worth, I'm one of the few who like the TLX here. I would never buy one, but I can be objective enough to compare it to the competition for what it is.

If anything, when I venture into the model specific forums, it's usually TL owners that post comparisons between the TL and 3-series, 5-series, etc. and they all hop on one big circlejerk talking about how great of a value their cars are vs. the competition.
Old 08-18-2014, 06:54 PM
Midnight Marauder

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts
Whatever mishaps Acura did for the last 5 years does not change the fact that the new tlx is a great car and a step in the right direction for the company. Personally i think its funny that these guys are bashing the car based solely on pics and stat sheets, despite numerous reviews claiming otherwise, plus personal accounts of how the car actually looks in real life.
I don't think I bashed the TLX in my post. For the record, a used TLX could potentially replace my 1G TSX after they have lost their value. Should be a great commuter car, but I need to see what happens with the reliability of this new Honda DCT.
Old 08-18-2014, 08:02 PM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 641 Likes on 395 Posts

Put me down as one of those Acura TSX owners who thought their next car would be a next-gen TSX pretty close to this concept (a small, sporty, good-looking AWD sedan), and who were shocked and dismayed by the power plenum disaster and decided to buy something else.
Old 08-18-2014, 08:59 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
Originally Posted by Belzebutt

Put me down as one of those Acura TSX owners who thought their next car would be a next-gen TSX pretty close to this concept (a small, sporty, good-looking AWD sedan), and who were shocked and dismayed by the power plenum disaster and decided to buy something else.
I was personally annoyed when, ten minutes after showing off the prototype TLX, Acura was already backtracking on the parts (i.e. "that's just for the concept, not production") of the vehicle. Obnoxious.
Old 08-18-2014, 10:50 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
Originally Posted by jwong77
I don't think I bashed the TLX in my post. For the record, a used TLX could potentially replace my 1G TSX after they have lost their value. Should be a great commuter car, but I need to see what happens with the reliability of this new Honda DCT.
That's what I'm looking at. A used TLX makes a sensible choice. esp the SH-AWD version if you live in areas with snow.

And looking at that concept again, I think the plenum grille should be chrome like that.
Old 08-19-2014, 03:06 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by phile
That's what I'm looking at. A used TLX makes a sensible choice. esp the SH-AWD version if you live in areas with snow.

And looking at that concept again, I think the plenum grille should be chrome like that.
you thought the beak is not bad enough and you want it to be chrome?

To other drivers at night, it might look like a 3rd headlight

Old 08-19-2014, 04:41 AM
Banned

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts
I skimmed through some of the posts. I don't give one single fuck(allowed to curse on here right) What any of you say.

The bottom line is this:
If you drive an Audi..............you have an inherent bias for an Audi.
If you drive a Lexus............you have an inherent bias for a Lexus.

I find it extremely amusing and I am sharing this site with my college friends right now(they are laughing at most of you who disagrees with this) that some of you on here will have the audacity and gall to claim there is no 'bias' regarding Brands.

Explain to me how there is so little bashing of the Acura brand in the 'sub forums'?

Explain that.
Go on. I'm waiting.

Explain to me how the actual buyers of the Acura TL'S and TSX'S don't bash the cars?
Because they own it.

Who's opinions regarding Acuras matter more? The guys who spend money on Acuras or the guys who spend money on Audis and Lexuses?
Old 08-19-2014, 04:43 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by oonowindoo
I can't say my POV represent EVERYBODY, but i can say while we have our differences in cars, but generally speaking our POV towards Acura is very similar.

While current Acura owners in the sub section might be happy where Acura is right now, but we are not. We are not happy with RLX that is selling at 200 units/month, ILX at 1000/month, 4G TL looked like that and Acura is behind everyone on engine implementations (Direct Injection, DCT and Force Inductions) and lastly how they put so much effort into RLX hybrid that is pretty much DOA while delaying the fix on the important cars like ILX and NSX.
We want Acura to improve. Being competitive is not enough, that is just another word for being average. We want Acura to be at the next level. So hopefully by then, they can offer something we want.
Who the fuck are you? Why do you think your opinion matters more than the guys who brought the new TLX'S and who are happy with their purchases?

It's surreal how you feel like you have that right. You know what? You might as well rat on me to one of your nerd moderators because I'm probably going to insult you for the rest of my 'forum life' on Acurazine. Your posts ooze of virginity.
Old 08-19-2014, 04:59 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by Berginyon8
I skimmed through some of the posts. I don't give one single fuck(allowed to curse on here right) What any of you say.

The bottom line is this:

I find it extremely amusing and I am sharing this site with my college friends right now(they are laughing at most of you who disagrees with this) that some of you on here will have the audacity and gall to claim there is no 'bias' regarding Brands.

I own an Audi A6, but I haven't any "inherent" bias for this brand. I like the BMW 5 series, the Merc CLS, the BMW 6 Grand Coupé... I would buy a Range Rover Sport but it's too expensive for the moment. I like cars: good cars. No matter which brand.
RPhilMan1 (08-19-2014)
Old 08-19-2014, 06:57 AM
Race Director

Received 624 Likes on 503 Posts

PW+1

Biker, who can't believe he's been here for 11 years.
Old 08-19-2014, 08:13 AM
Liquid Ice

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Who's opinions regarding Acuras matter more? The guys who spend money on Acuras or the guys who spend money on Audis and Lexuses?
I'd like to think everyone's opinion matters equally.

As an Acura owner - if you love your car and you're happy with it - great. You shouldn't care what anyone else thinks and it shouldn't bother you that people in this thread don't like your car.

Actually, if Acura as a brand hopes to increase their market share, they should be looking at why previous Acura owners have left the brand and that means their opinion should matter.

By sales - Acura is nowhere near the #1 Luxury car manufacturer. Thats a fact, not an opinion. Sales for the TLX are still TBD - but even if it is a huge success the lackluster sales of the ILX and RLX would not allow Acura to propel itself into the #1 slot for 2014. I would think Acura as a car company wants to increase their sales and profits. One way to increase sales is to attract buyers who currently own other makes, hence - the guys who spend money on Audis and Lexuses (and even BMW) matters to Acura.

Especially people who considered buying an Acura and chose something else - I think Acura would like to know why and what they can do to improve their cars to make them more attractive to a larger audience.

Last edited by LiQiCE; 08-19-2014 at 08:15 AM.
Old 08-19-2014, 08:28 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 762 Likes on 570 Posts
I think it's interesting to note that initially, there was a lot of negativity towards the tlx; probably the majority of opinion on the forum was negative. now that the reviews are out and folks are able to test drive the tlx, the opinion has shifted to being mostly positive. if you look back in this thread to when the 3g tl was announced, opinion seemed to follow the same pattern.

there are posters in this particular thread that as far as I've read, haven't had a single positive thing to say about acura. just page after page of "acura can't do anything right." seems very psychological.

congrats on your purchase! would love to see some pics.
Old 08-19-2014, 08:36 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Who the fuck are you? Why do you think your opinion matters more than the guys who brought the new TLX'S and who are happy with their purchases?

It's surreal how you feel like you have that right. You know what? You might as well rat on me to one of your nerd moderators because I'm probably going to insult you for the rest of my 'forum life' on Acurazine. Your posts ooze of virginity.
You need to tone your attitude down. Completely uncalled for.

And no, he didnt rat you to one of the nerd moderators. I found you on my own.
The following 3 users liked this post by fsttyms1:
Ken1997TL (08-19-2014), RPhilMan1 (08-19-2014), ttribe (08-19-2014)
Old 08-19-2014, 08:36 AM
I spend 2 much time here

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts
Originally Posted by biker

PW+1

Biker, who can't believe he's been here for 11 years.
i here u
Old 08-19-2014, 09:51 AM
2024 Honda Civic Type R

Received 1,454 Likes on 923 Posts
Originally Posted by fsttyms1

This will not end well.
Old 08-19-2014, 10:01 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,328 Likes on 1,308 Posts

Nothing reeks of desperation and 'virginity' like uncalled for attacks and general douchebaggery.

Consider this a warning. One more attack or off-topic comment in this thread and you'll be taking a break from here.

Signed,

'Nerd' Moderator
The following 2 users liked this post by Ken1997TL:
fsttyms1 (08-20-2014), ttribe (08-19-2014)
Old 08-19-2014, 01:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
Nothing reeks of desperation and 'virginity' like uncalled for attacks and general douchebaggery.

Consider this a warning. One more attack or off-topic comment in this thread and you'll be taking a break from here.

Signed,

'Nerd' Moderator
I'm truly truly terrified and I truly care.
Old 08-19-2014, 01:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by fsttyms1

You should ban me. Carefully read all my posts and ban me. It will have zero effects on me and we both know this. Look at my post count, it's very obvious I just came here because I recently found out about this site and have no 'emotions' attached to it.

So just go right ahead and ban me.
Old 08-19-2014, 01:30 PM
Senior Moderator

I'm truly truly terrified and I truly care.

Brock?
Old 08-19-2014, 01:35 PM
Senior Moderator

The bottom line is this:

Explain to me how there is so little bashing of the Acura brand in the 'sub forums'?

Explain that.
Go on. I'm waiting.

Explain to me how the actual buyers of the Acura TL'S and TSX'S don't bash the cars?
Because they own it.

And with that tone, I won't ban you. I'd keep you around just for the amusement your attitude is going to take you.

What great college skoo do you and your buddies go to? Tell them I said hi. :ghey:

A/S/L?

Seriously, did you read what I wrote in response to your comments yesterday? There is little "bashing" of the Acura brands in the sub-forums because that's typically where most of the current owners are...naturally, it is their prerogative to love their current vehicle. There are members who will frequent out of those sub-forums and visit Off-Topic, however. And in some situations, share some of the sentiments mentioned by the regulars in here.

An opinion is an opinion. Why does it bother you so much? Did you invent Acura? Are you a ranking stakeholder? FWIW, the opinions here of those who are not rah-rahing about Acura's latest products are fair. You may not AGREE with them, but they are valid. What is there to get so angry and confrontational about?

Is this your first time on the Internet? Do you and your "college" buddies (yo bro) need a 101?
ttribe (08-19-2014)

Quick Reply: Acura: TLX News