Acura: TLX News

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 09:27 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
Originally Posted by Curious3GTL
According to BMW's website I see "Enhanced USB and Bluetooth plus Smartphone Integration" as a $500 option. I also see Bluetooth audio is now standard so I guess you have to pay to get the apps. However, the BMW still will need a few options box checked to match some of the TLX standard features. It also offers some things the TLX doesn't like heated rear seats, and a heated wheel, but you have to pay for those. Overall for "features" the TLX still seems like a much better deal. If you care about the driving experience more than the technology clearly the BMW is going to be your car.
I think we have gone a full circle and it does not seem you get the point. No one is denying TLX SHAWD at sub $40k is not a good deal. It is. But like RLX, better deal doesn't work so well in that price range because most of the people are brand whores. You will need to match with its competitors on everything and more.

i have no idea what that enhanced USB bluetooth plus is and i don't have it.
But i use the apps on my phone to stream and it works fine.

We were talking about Base model 335i. Now if you want to talk about options, there are A LOT that you can get in a 335i that you will not be able to get in TLX.

From performance oriented options: M sport, 4 pot calipers, HP and Torque graphs, adaptive suspension, high resolution 8.8inch black panel display and hand writing recognition (unless Acura has dramatically improved the screen on the TLX, but based on the pictures i have seen, it has not. So it will make TLX Navi screen look like it was from 10 years ago, not kidding) and many more

As far as Technology, you can get everything that TLX has and many more that TLX doesn't.

Of course you will have to pay for it but it is there.

The point is, there are other options between $40k-$50k. Yes you will lose some features in the BMW/Benz/Lexus, but you will also gain other things that TLX/Acura doesn't.

like i said earlier, IF TLX SHAWD has a brilliant exterior design (good is not enough) and a new engine with "in your face" specs (like the upcoming C400), then yah i can see many including myself pick TLX over others.
Since it does not offer those in the SHAWD trim, i just don't see it happening.

Now the Base model TLX will sell well because at $31k, it will steal customers from both luxury and non luxury market.

Last edited by oonowindoo; 08-07-2014 at 09:39 PM.
Old 08-08-2014, 12:46 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by Legend2TL
Where's Moog been? Is he OK and just taking a break?
Haven't seen any posting for sometime.
He's testing the TLX day and night...
Old 08-08-2014, 01:36 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
My educated guess? Most of the cars sold will be 2.4 with the tech package. Lots of value for the $35k range.
Old 08-08-2014, 06:04 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,400 Likes on 704 Posts
Wink Driving

Acura has a lot riding on its all-new sport/luxury sedan. Can it be the home run that jump-starts sales for Honda's flagging luxury division?

Brian Harper
By Brian Harper
Originally published: 22 hours ago

MIDDLEBURG, VA — If there is any trepidation on the part of Honda Canada brass over the new Acura TLX, they’re doing a marvellous job masking it. It’s 1 thing to debut any new model to a cynical and spoiled audience (and I mean consumers, not we assembled auto writers), it’s another to have this 1 model do the work of 2.

Yet, this is the situation for the TLX sport/luxury sedan, a replacement for the underperforming compact TSX and the mid-sized TL. As such, it plays a pivotal role in revitalizing the Acura brand. It has to be better than good; it has to stand out. And, competing in 1 of the most competitive and scrutinized automobile segments, this is no small challenge.

From a styling standpoint, the TLX doesn’t break much new ground. The exterior design is fresher yet still retains the familial look of past Acura sedans. Yes, sculpted fender arches and sharper character lines instill the TLX with more personality than the TSX and TL, but it’s a design that tends to blend in. At least the proportions (the TLX is 97 mm shorter in overall length than the 2014 TL) seem more in keeping with its sporty intent. And, no matter which of the 3 versions being sold, all come standard with Acura’s signature Jewel Eye LED headlights, which lessens the impact of the overt Acura smiley-face grille.

Beneath the unassuming looks, though, is a car brimming with new and revised technologies, starting with the powertrains. The 3 model variants are well differentiated, with 2 updated direct-injected i-VTEC engines, 2 new transmissions and 2 unique drivetrains.

The base front-wheel-drive model, aimed at a younger, hipper demographic, sees a reworked 206-horsepower 2.4-litre 16-valve, 4-cylinder engine under its hood, with the 4 connected to an 8-speed dual-clutch transmission with torque converter. For handling ability, it comes with the latest iteration of Acura’s Precision All-Wheel Steer (P-AWS).

Meanwhile, the TLX with the new-ish 290-hp 3.5L 24-valve V6 is mated to a 9-speed automatic and will be available with either P-AWS or Super-Handling All-Wheel Drive (SH-AWD).

P-AWS and SH-AWD, along with something called Agile Handling Assist, help make the TLX the most dynamically advanced car Acura says it has ever produced, with the claim of “quick and responsive in sporty driving, stable and sure-footed in emergency manoeuvres, and calm and quiet during long-distance cruising.”

Beyond the corporate hyperbole, that’s actually a fairly accurate statement — depending on the model and the mode (more on this in a moment). The base TLX is something of a marvel. Although the 4-cylinder is admirably smooth, its power output is merely competitive. Still, the new 8-speed makes the most of the 182 pound-feet of torque, with crisp shifts, whether dallying in Drive or using the paddle shifters to carve through sets of twisties (which were in abundance during the 360-kilometre drive through rural Virginia and West Virginia).

All models are fitted with an upgraded version of Acura’s Integrated Dynamics System (IDS), which, through 4 selectable modes — Econ, Normal, Sport and Sport+ — allows for a customizable driving experience. Depending on the setting, IDS will adjust power-steering effort, throttle response, transmission shift logic, heating/air conditioning system operation, active sound control and the control logic for either the P-AWS or SH-AWD systems. The new Sport+ mode ups the sedan’s performance potential with the most aggressive settings. It proved its worth on a series of downhill sweepers, using the paddle shifters to initiate stronger engine braking instead of constantly dabbing the brakes. Other than that, though, Sport mode turned out to be the most enjoyable, tightening up the steering but not as aggressive on the shift points. Econ seriously gutted the TLX’s performance — whether the 4-cylinder or the V6 — and was quickly discarded. Normal was acceptable for highway cruising but otherwise was switched out in favour of Sport.

The suspension setup was at its best when working with the base model’s trim 1,579 kilograms — the P-AWS system combines with the stiffened chassis to deliver a precision and stability that made it a guessing game as to which set of wheels was doing the driving.

The front-drive V6 isn’t quite as lively due to the added weight over the front wheels, while the SH-AWD version — which should account for the bulk of the TLX’s sales, says Honda Canada — is heavier still (1,700-plus kg despite the AWD system being 25% lighter). On a race circuit, this might matter more. It didn’t on the twisting tarmac and wet pavement during the drive. The level of confidence this car engenders when road conditions aren’t straight and dry challenges most criticism of its handling dynamics. SH-AWD is capable of tremendous grip, and the system’s torque-vectoring effect helps the TLX turn in faster and easier.

Then there’s AcuraWatch, a catchy name for the company’s suite of available sensing and driver assistance technologies. Blind Spot Information, Lane Departure Warning, Forward Collision Warning, Expanded View Driver’s Side Mirror, Lane Keep Assist and new Cross Traffic Monitor are just a few of the tech items offered.

As for the cabin, it’s more high-tech — the mantra for all Acura vehicles — than overt luxury, with a full list of gadgetry that’s augmented by available Elite and Technology packages. A new feature of the V6 models is an electronic gear selector that replaces the traditional gear shifter with what Acura thinks is an intuitive and easy-to-operate push-button array. While the intent was to free up centre console space while presenting a futuristic appearance, it’s also a little too gimmicky for my liking.

Targeting the likes of the Lexus IS 250, Infiniti’s Q50, the Audi A4, BMW 3 Series and the Mercedes C 250, Acura has set an ambitious goal for the TLX. At 1st glance, it might not appear to be the home run the company expects, but the car’s fresher appearance, mechanical upgrades, excellent handling dynamics and typical Acura gadgetry all work in its favour. Then there’s the price: the base, well-contented TLX starts at a very reasonable $34,990. The V6 with standard Tech package is $41,690, while the V6 SH-AWD starts at $39,990. Even fully loaded, the SH-AWD Elite model is less than $48,000. Each model is a lot of car for the money, which is the reason why Honda is confident the TLX is more than enough car to jump-start Acura’s sedan sales.

The 1st TLXs arrive in dealerships later this month. The 2.4L model will be offered 1st; the 3.5L P-AWS model and the 3.5L SH-AWD will follow in the fall.

The following users liked this post:
Legend2TL (08-08-2014)
Old 08-08-2014, 08:32 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 63 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by oonowindoo
i have no idea what that enhanced USB bluetooth plus is and i don't have it.
But i use the apps on my phone to stream and it works fine.
Actually you do have enhanced USB because BMW separated audio bluetooth streaming into a separate option now called enhanced USB.
Old 08-08-2014, 08:38 AM
I'm Craig

Received 299 Likes on 207 Posts
Originally Posted by alex2364
Actually you do have enhanced USB because BMW separated audio bluetooth streaming into a separate option now called enhanced USB.
Wait...BMW calls A2DP bluetooth streaming enhanced USB? Leave it to the Germans...
Old 08-08-2014, 10:43 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 63 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by cjTL
Wait...BMW calls A2DP bluetooth streaming enhanced USB? Leave it to the Germans...
It's full name is called Enhanced USB and Bluetooth plus Smartphone Integration.
Old 08-08-2014, 10:47 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
God I hate Acura's 80 bajillion headlights design.
Old 08-08-2014, 12:09 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by alex2364
It's full name is called Enhanced USB and Bluetooth plus Smartphone Integration.
No i dont have that $500 option. I believe that option comes with built in Apps, which i don't have. and it does more than just talk/streaming audio.

Here is the from the standard feature list:

USB audio connection and hands-free Bluetooth including Audio Streaming

Last edited by oonowindoo; 08-08-2014 at 12:17 PM.
Old 08-08-2014, 12:14 PM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Looks like it should be a good seller. I still have a few issues with it: The gauge cluster looks kinda cheap, just very flat. Why didn't they keep the 2G TSX's floating needles?
Also the center stack looks like it was taken from an econo box, it seems like from left to right it doesn't flow very well. Maybe I just need to see it in person though.

Nice seeing the folding rear seats tho!
Old 08-08-2014, 12:17 PM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
I agree about the boring instrument cluster.

Guess Acura product team has never test driven the IS F-Sports.
Old 08-08-2014, 12:21 PM
Team Owner

Hey it has embroidered logo on floor mat.
Old 08-08-2014, 12:24 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 835 Likes on 519 Posts
i understand what you are trying to say but calling it no other options at 40-50k range is just not true.

RLX FWD can be had for $50k, it offers Soo much more than its competitors at $50k but yet people are still willing to spend $5k, $10k even $20k more to get its direct competitors.

this effect is less dramatic for $40k-$50k market but same rule still can apply because these are the future $50k $60k car buyers in a few years.

For example $42k TLX AWD base, vs $43k 335i base. 80% of the standard features on TLX are standard on 335i or IS350 or C400. You add a few thousands, 335i M sport/IS350 F sport will have more than $42k TLX SHAWD base. So when you put other things like image, free maintenance, better engine and etc... into consideration. You will see there are plenty of options out there at that price range.
I don't think I said there are no other options in the $40k-$50k range?? May be it was someone else?

I think it was EdwardTLS that said at the $50k mark, that's where car buyers "act differently" than car buyers in the sub $50k range. He explained how at the $50k+ market, buyers care about the brand image significantly more, and he said this is why Acura is struggling big time with high $40k to $50k+ sedans.

At $40k, that's probably the transitional price range? Anything lower than that, value is more important. Over $50k, it's more about the brand image, the prestige, etc. From $40k-$50k, it is somewhere in between?

As I said, the TLX 3.5 has what it takes to compete with the 335i performance wise. That's why I was only talking about the 328i. If you are looking for performance and don't need all the amenities, then for sure, 335i would be your choice. While it might be that the base 335i has 80% of the TL AWD base (by the way, the base AWD TLX actually comes standard with the Tech package), that's really not saying much. I mean both cars come standard with doors, wheels, engine, transmission, etc. When it comes to the extra features though, it's really a mismatch between a base 335i vs a TLX AWD tech (much similar to how it's a mismatch between the performance of each car).

Assume we don't add any line (luxury, sport, m sport), and keep the basic seating and trim, the get a 335i base to match up, you will need the following:

Harman Kardon surround sound system $875
Enhanced USB and Bluetooth plus Smartphone Integration - $500
Navigation- $2100
Heated Front seats - $500
Driver assistance pkg (rear view camera and parking sensors) - $950

The above would bring the price to $50k.

At $50k, that's still without paddle shifters, LED headlights, blind spot detection, lane departure warning, etc. I purposely didn't add certain packages to the 335i as those packages tend to include items either not available on TLX, or are only available in the advance trim. With that said, there are also features such as electronic gear selector, real time traffic, rear cross traffic monitor, multi-view camera, etc that are not on the above configured 335i.

Are those extra features on the TLX essential to everyone? Definitely not. That's the same as asking if 0-60mph in less than 5 seconds is very important for everyone. Definitely not as well.

Originally Posted by LiQiCE
They're actually not that far off. It is surprising when you look at the dimensions.

TLX (I used SH-AWD Advanced) versus GS350 AWD
----------------------------------------
Front head room
37.2 in. versus 38.0 in.
Front hip room
55.3 in. versus 54.5 in.
Front leg room
42.6 in. versus 42.3 in.
Front shoulder room
57.5 in. versus 57.3 in.
Rear hip Room
54.9 in. versus 54.1 in.
Rear head room
36.7 in. versus 37.8 in.
Rear leg room
34.5 in. versus 36.8 in.
Rear shoulder room
55.4 in. versus 55.7 in.
Width
73.0 in. versus 72.4 in.
Height
57.0 in. versus 57.3 in.
Length
190.3 in. versus 190.7 in.
Front track
62.8 in. versus 62.0 in.
Rear track
63.1 in. versus 62.6 in.
Wheel base
109.3 in. versus 112.2 in.
Cargo capacity, all seats in place
13.2 cu.ft (without Advanced) / 14.3 cu.ft. (with Advanced) versus 14.3 cu.ft.

EPA interior volume
106.5 cu.ft. (without Advanced) 107.6 cu.ft. (with Advanced) versus 113.0 cu.ft.
Curb weight
3774 lbs. (For SH-AWD Advanced) versus. 3970 lbs.

They aren't all that different in terms of size. The TLX is kind of in between the size of the IS and the GS.

I was actually surprised, the GS is shorter in length (although not by much) than my 2003 TL-S.
whoa they are pretty close in dimensions!
Old 08-08-2014, 12:27 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Originally Posted by JS + BRZ
I agree about the boring instrument cluster.

Guess Acura product team has never test driven the IS F-Sports.
Hmmm...the IS350 F Sport definitely has a more exciting instrument cluster....The TLX is all about being conservative....
Old 08-08-2014, 12:36 PM
I drive a Subata.

Originally Posted by iforyou
Hmmm...the IS350 F Sport definitely has a more exciting instrument cluster....The TLX is all about being conservative....
It comes with IS250 too.

But yes, it's AMAZING.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/-c5IQZZ8Xfs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 08-08-2014, 12:39 PM
Team Owner

I don't think I said there are no other options in the $40k-$50k range?? May be it was someone else?

I think it was EdwardTLS that said at the $50k mark, that's where car buyers "act differently" than car buyers in the sub $50k range. He explained how at the $50k+ market, buyers care about the brand image significantly more, and he said this is why Acura is struggling big time with high $40k to $50k+ sedans.

At $40k, that's probably the transitional price range? Anything lower than that, value is more important. Over $50k, it's more about the brand image, the prestige, etc. From $40k-$50k, it is somewhere in between?

As I said, the TLX 3.5 has what it takes to compete with the 335i performance wise. That's why I was only talking about the 328i. If you are looking for performance and don't need all the amenities, then for sure, 335i would be your choice. While it might be that the base 335i has 80% of the TL AWD base (by the way, the base AWD TLX actually comes standard with the Tech package), that's really not saying much. I mean both cars come standard with doors, wheels, engine, transmission, etc. When it comes to the extra features though, it's really a mismatch between a base 335i vs a TLX AWD tech (much similar to how it's a mismatch between the performance of each car).

Assume we don't add any line (luxury, sport, m sport), and keep the basic seating and trim, the get a 335i base to match up, you will need the following:

Navigation- $2100

At $50k, that's still without paddle shifters, LED headlights, blind spot detection, lane departure warning, etc. I purposely didn't add certain packages to the 335i as those packages tend to include items either not available on TLX, or are only available in the advance trim. With that said, there are also features such as electronic gear selector, real time traffic, rear cross traffic monitor, multi-view camera, etc that are not on the above configured 335i.

Are those extra features on the TLX essential to everyone? Definitely not. That's the same as asking if 0-60mph in less than 5 seconds is very important for everyone. Definitely not as well.

Now you are just repeating everything i said.

I think Acura should have made V6 models with lower starting MSRP and remove some of the standard features and put them in the tech package

It is much easier to advertise with lower MSRP than higher MSRP with shit included because no one (except for us) is going to compare line by line, especially for Acura's targeted audience.

get the customers to the showroom floor first.
Old 08-08-2014, 01:05 PM
Team Owner

So, my friend works at an agency that developed that VW.com.

He said they are bringing back the "Build Your Car" function in couple months.
Are you high?
Old 08-08-2014, 01:06 PM
I drive a Subata.

Are you high?
You are right.

Last edited by JS + XES; 08-08-2014 at 01:09 PM.
Old 08-08-2014, 01:07 PM
Team Owner

?
i think you are posting in the wrong thread about VW website.
Old 08-08-2014, 03:14 PM
Pro

Received 65 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by dom
I'm not doubting that at all. I'm just seriously doubting that how good the car is will matter to potential buyers in the segment. Acura's image is the barrier with the TLX. Hope they can overcome that barrier.
I can agree with that. To be clear when I called the car a home run, I was speaking of the car itself. They made a damn good car, whether it will have the effect they want or not, that's still to be seen.

One car can certainly turn around an entire brand if it's done right. Look at what the CTS did for Cadillac, they were considered basically dead for a while and now people consider them on par with the Germans. While I'm not saying the TLX will do that for Acura, it can certainly start turning their fortunes around.
Old 08-08-2014, 03:21 PM
I spend 2 much time here

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts
Are you high?
Old 08-08-2014, 03:21 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 546 Likes on 346 Posts

Navigation- $2100

That's basically what I was trying to say that even at it's current price point the V6 offers a lot of tech. Time will tell how well it sells, but I think it will make a compelling argument for some people.
Old 08-08-2014, 03:51 PM
Liquid Ice

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Test drove TLX V6 Tech

I went to my local Acura dealer this morning and got to test drive the V6 Tech FWD.

They didn't have a i4 version, so I couldn't test one unfortunately. (Strangely, the dealer emailed me a little while later saying they had some i4s now but they would sell quickly ... lame!)

The 9AT is not nearly as bad as the reviews have made it out to be - it is slow to shift compared to the 6AT in my GS but it isn't awful. I think it may just be when you drive the 9AT back to back with the 8DCT that the slow shifting becomes more apparent. I was in Sport+ and using manual shifts at the time when I measured the time to shift. In Normal mode and on automatic the car did have a very rough 2->3 shift, it felt very slow and not smooth at all, almost like something was wrong with the tranny. Maybe that is just the car I drove, but it makes me worried about the 9AT's reliability (visions of the 2002-2003 5AT in the CL/TL). 9th gear is really tall, you can't get into 9th until you hit 60mph ... wow. In manual mode it is hard dealing with so many gears.

Getting into gear is not a 5 second wait time either, I pressed D and by the time I lifted off the brake and pressed the gas, the car as moving immediately. That said the lack of a shifter and having buttons instead is really strange and seems entirely too gimmicky. I don't like it at all. The IDS button is annoying too - having to press the button to cycle through the modes - I really prefer the way Lexus does it with a dial. I can blindly get into any mode in my GS, I can't do that with IDS since I have to cycle and if I don't know what mode I'm in, I have to press it to see what mode I'm in and then cycle. Even to change it, you have to press it twice to switch one mode "ahead" - once so it tells you what mode you're in and once to actually change modes.

Torque steer is bad in the FWD V6 and flooring it - even from a roll will induce lots of it. I wouldn't try gunning it in a turn unless you have the Advance model that can detect you're about to leave the road Despite there being torque steer it never felt like the car had a lot of torque down low, it doesn't push you back into the seat or anything. It was just loud and reasonably quick, nothing earth shattering but with estimates placing the 0-60 time in the ~6 second range that shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

I do find the 2 navigation screens confusing, I think after using it for awhile you'd get used to it, but I certainly don't like it as much as I thought I would. For example, typing in an address - as you start to type on the touchscreen, letters disappear and only let you type the next letter that matches a street name - thats fine. But then when it decides it knows the street you want, the keyboard disappears from the screen you were looking at and you have to look at the top screen to pick a street name from a list using the dial. When the keyboard disappeared I thought I had pressed something wrong - didn't realize I had to look at the other screen. You'd get used to it - but it was confusing for me at first. Plus - getting to the part where you input an address - I would think you'd press the "Navi" button on the center console - but that just brings up the Map - I have to press "Menu" to get to the menu and then that will give me the option to enter a destination. Overall a pretty poor user experience imho.

Also - the location of that dial is terrible, it is upright unlike the BMW iDrive or other systems where it is on the lower center console and easy to reach with your hand.

Interior quality leaves a lot to be desired in my opinion. The "extra" padding they put on the center console and doors seems non-existent. It wasn't uncomfortable putting my arm in either place, but it didn't feel well padded. There are hard plastics all over the car - in fact a lot of it feels no better than the Honda Accord. The leather is certainly better, but the upper door area, the dashboard area - all hard plastics. My 2003 TL-S had a better interior materials. You can see where they cut corners to try to bring the price of the car down.

Handling - the car rides pretty rough, you definitely feel bumps in the road - it isn't terrible, just a little jarring when you hit bumps or potholes. Part of that I think is the Macpherson Struts and not just stiff springs. The salesman actually encouraged me to take turns fast - which was awesome. I took a few quick uphill sweepers as fast as was comfortable to me. The car handled them with no issues - I think for most people the handling won't be a problem even in the V6 model. Steering in Sport+ seemed pretty good but there wasn't a lot of weight to the steering - I think this is a problem with a lot of EPS cars lately - although ironically one of Honda's first EPS cars the S2000 doesn't have any issues with steering weight. Driving dynamics imho has never really been a huge issue for Acura, even the 4G TL drove great, its more the polarizing looks that turned people off of the 4G TL. Driving at 6/10's shouldn't be a problem. Most Acura owners probably won't know that they're missing. The car obviously rides like a FWD car (since it is one) - PAWS didn't seem to get rid of that feeling when you take a right hand turn fast and the car understeers (it feels like the car is fighting you to make the turn). RWD biased cars don't have this problem.

Cabin quietness - I didn't spend a lot of time on the highway, but when I was on the highway I didn't notice it was loud in the cabin - but I also didn't feel like it was super quiet either. I think it is an improvement for the TL in general in term of cabin quietness, but either of my Lexuses (or Lexi?) on the highway it can be eerily quiet, and I didn't get that with the TLX.

Overall - I think all of the flavors of the TLX will please Honda and Acura owners wanting a replacement for their TSX, TL, Accord or something similar. I don't think Acura will be getting a lot of conquest sales from BMW, Audi or Lexus.

Going to cross post this in the 5G TLX forum if anyone has any questions.
The following 6 users liked this post by LiQiCE:
AZuser (08-08-2014), dom (08-09-2014), JS + XES (08-08-2014), phile (08-10-2014), RPhilMan1 (08-11-2014), ttribe (08-08-2014) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-08-2014, 04:04 PM
I drive a Subata.

Wow.. thanks for the write up. That's actually extremely detailed and insightful.

Wish you had an opportunity to experience the 4 banger one.
Old 08-08-2014, 05:12 PM
Team Owner

You did not have to work today or what?

lucky you.
Old 08-08-2014, 05:36 PM
Liquid Ice

You did not have to work today or what?

lucky you.
LOL - I had work, but I didn't need to be there early. So I got to the dealer when they opened at 9am and test drove the car.

Figured I'd get less traffic right after rush hour on a Friday than test driving it on Saturday.
Old 08-08-2014, 05:48 PM
Team Owner

you did not say anything about the exterior.

How does it look?

and how is the screen resolution and clarity? compare to Lexus?

Because i remember my CLS had one of the best in 2001 and it seems it has not been improved much since judging by the Navi screen i have seen in recent Accord/oddy/MDX.
Old 08-08-2014, 06:12 PM
Liquid Ice

you did not say anything about the exterior.

How does it look?

and how is the screen resolution and clarity? compare to Lexus?

Because i remember my CLS had one of the best in 2001 and it seems it has not been improved much since judging by the Navi screen i have seen in recent Accord/oddy/MDX.
Looks aren't all that different than the pictures honestly. The power plenum is still there front and center, it really isn't for me. LED headlights are nice looking though. The rear of the car looks great - especially compared to the 4G TL's bubble butt. The power plenum is not shiny chrome or anything like the picture from earlier made it seem - it is reflective but not very reflective if that makes sense.

I didn't spend a lot of time with the screens - but they seem OK. They don't look high resolution or anything. The upper screen seemed brighter (might have just been settings) - but maybe so you can see it more clearly since it would get hit by the sun. There is a lot of blue in the screens ... lots and lots. I don't know if you can change it. The menus were not all that impressive, the icons are definitely low resolution and sort of boring.

The GS's huge 12.3 inch screen is obviously bigger and the resolution seems closer to high definition. I prefer the screen in the GS, but I kind of like the touchscreen typing for navigation input even though it was kind of weird in the TLX.
Old 08-08-2014, 06:18 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

It comes with IS250 too.

But yes, it's AMAZING.
Is IS the only car in its class that has something like this?

Now you are just repeating everything i said.

I think Acura should have made V6 models with lower starting MSRP and remove some of the standard features and put them in the tech package

It is much easier to advertise with lower MSRP than higher MSRP with shit included because no one (except for us) is going to compare line by line, especially for Acura's targeted audience.

get the customers to the showroom floor first.
Yea, haha, we know the same facts (i.e. power, features, price, etc), but we just look at things a little differently.

To be fair, the TLX V6 starts at $35k. That's $5k more than a Accord V6. I am not sure if there's really much room for the TLX V6 to go down in the base price.

What's missing IMO is a base TLX AWD. If you want AWD in the US, you must also get the tech pkg. In Canada, we have the option to get a TLX AWD base. Considering the tech pkg costs $4k, a TLX AWD base theoretically would be priced at $37.5k. It puzzles me as to why this trim is offered in Canada, but not in US......

Originally Posted by Curious3GTL
That's basically what I was trying to say that even at it's current price point the V6 offers a lot of tech. Time will tell how well it sells, but I think it will make a compelling argument for some people.
That's how I feel too. I guess we will know in a few months.

The 9AT is not nearly as bad as the reviews have made it out to be - it is slow to shift compared to the 6AT in my GS but it isn't awful. I think it may just be when you drive the 9AT back to back with the 8DCT that the slow shifting becomes more apparent. I was in Sport+ and using manual shifts at the time when I measured the time to shift. In Normal mode and on automatic the car did have a very rough 2->3 shift, it felt very slow and not smooth at all, almost like something was wrong with the tranny. Maybe that is just the car I drove, but it makes me worried about the 9AT's reliability (visions of the 2002-2003 5AT in the CL/TL). 9th gear is really tall, you can't get into 9th until you hit 60mph ... wow. In manual mode it is hard dealing with so many gears.

Getting into gear is not a 5 second wait time either, I pressed D and by the time I lifted off the brake and pressed the gas, the car as moving immediately. That said the lack of a shifter and having buttons instead is really strange and seems entirely too gimmicky. I don't like it at all. The IDS button is annoying too - having to press the button to cycle through the modes - I really prefer the way Lexus does it with a dial. I can blindly get into any mode in my GS, I can't do that with IDS since I have to cycle and if I don't know what mode I'm in, I have to press it to see what mode I'm in and then cycle. Even to change it, you have to press it twice to switch one mode "ahead" - once so it tells you what mode you're in and once to actually change modes.
Thanks for your review!

The 9AT is sourced from ZF. It seems like this tranny isn't receiving the best reviews so far. To be fair, Honda is doing exactly what a lot of people have been asking - outsourcing a tranny with many gears.

I think the gear selector is there for the cool factor. I mean you usually only find it on much more expensive cars.

Base on what I see below, the gauge cluster tells you exactly which mode you are in, so you don't need to press anything to find out? Does it turn off after a while or something?
Old 08-08-2014, 06:24 PM
Liquid Ice

Base on what I see below, the gauge cluster tells you exactly which mode you are in, so you don't need to press anything to find out? Does it turn off after a while or something?
I didn't play with the MID display too much - its possible that you can turn on the IDS display for the MID. I don't think the MID was displaying anything when I was driving it - but if I pressed the IDS button, a list of all the modes comes up and it shows the one you've got selected highlighted. A second press of the IDS button would cause the IDS mode to select the next one and so on...
Old 08-08-2014, 06:29 PM
I drive a Subata.

I think IS is the only car that has something like it in that category. It's inspired by their LFA clusters.

Lexus clearly knows how to milk out their Halo car.
Old 08-08-2014, 06:38 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
The gear selector in the TLX V6 and RLX hybrid is supposed to be similar to what will be in the new NSX.

Supposedly.
Old 08-08-2014, 08:31 PM
I'm Craig

Received 299 Likes on 207 Posts
I think people don't like the push button shifter because its different and non-traditional. In today's day and age, the tradition PRND shifter is outdated, IMO. BMW and Benz kinda get it with their electronic shifters.

The execution of Acura pushbutton shifter looks much nicer than Lincolns.

Old 08-08-2014, 08:50 PM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
Originally Posted by cjTL
I think people don't like the push button shifter because its different and non-traditional. In today's day and age, the tradition PRND shifter is outdated, IMO. BMW and Benz kinda get it with their electronic shifters.

The execution of Acura pushbutton shifter looks much nicer than Lincolns.

Push button shifter feels even more outdated to me.

What's old is new again.

The following 2 users liked this post by AZuser:
cjTL (08-09-2014), Ken1997TL (08-09-2014)
Old 08-08-2014, 09:03 PM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
I do find the 2 navigation screens confusing, I think after using it for awhile you'd get used to it, but I certainly don't like it as much as I thought I would. For example, typing in an address - as you start to type on the touchscreen, letters disappear and only let you type the next letter that matches a street name - thats fine. But then when it decides it knows the street you want, the keyboard disappears from the screen you were looking at and you have to look at the top screen to pick a street name from a list using the dial. When the keyboard disappeared I thought I had pressed something wrong - didn't realize I had to look at the other screen. You'd get used to it - but it was confusing for me at first. Plus - getting to the part where you input an address - I would think you'd press the "Navi" button on the center console - but that just brings up the Map - I have to press "Menu" to get to the menu and then that will give me the option to enter a destination. Overall a pretty poor user experience imho.
That's not good. Seems like poor design/layout execution. Doesn't seem like it's very user-friendly or intuitive. But like you said, owners will adapt and get used to it. Eventually.

Interior quality leaves a lot to be desired in my opinion. The "extra" padding they put on the center console and doors seems non-existent. It wasn't uncomfortable putting my arm in either place, but it didn't feel well padded. There are hard plastics all over the car - in fact a lot of it feels no better than the Honda Accord. The leather is certainly better, but the upper door area, the dashboard area - all hard plastics. My 2003 TL-S had a better interior materials. You can see where they cut corners to try to bring the price of the car down.
Seems like they followed in the footsteps of the new Accord. Compared to my '06 Accord, the new Accord's interior felt cheaper, had more hard plastic all around, had less padding all around, and the carpet was cheap and thin too.[/quote]

From looking at the pictures online, I got the feeling of a lower quality interior. You pretty much confirmed it.

If I have time this weekend, I'll swing by my dealer to check it out myself and take them (I4 and V6) for a test drive.
Old 08-09-2014, 12:27 AM
brahs be jelly

Received 247 Likes on 169 Posts
Sounds like the DI J35 has less low end torque than the old J37. 9AT appears to be less decisive than the 6AT as well. Of course the interior isn't up to 2G standards. To be fair an F30 interior isn't up to 2G standards. But I can also understand that people feel they should get more for their money.
Old 08-09-2014, 01:22 AM
Team Owner

well there is no replacement for displacement. 3.7>3.5 as far as torque goes.
Old 08-09-2014, 09:45 AM
I feel the need...

Received 515 Likes on 363 Posts
I think the gear selector is there for the cool factor. I mean you usually only find it on much more expensive cars.
The issue I have with the "cool" factor of push button drive selection is that it promises performance that doesn't exist in the TLX. Acura should have spent their money elsewhere on this car.

I think it depends on what toggle screen you are in. In our MDX, you have to press the IDS button to confirm what mode you are in.
Old 08-09-2014, 04:21 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,143 Likes on 817 Posts
^^^^^

For the latest 3G MDX, the driver has a choice to select one out of a total of 10 information screens to show up in the MID display.

One screen is the SH-AWD torque distribution information, and at the bottom of this screen is showing the chosen IDS mode.

As long as this screen is set as the default MID display screen, the chosen IDS mode will always be shown as well.

This arrangement is the same on the RLX, and highly likely also on the TLX as well.
Old 08-10-2014, 06:13 AM
I feel the need...

Received 515 Likes on 363 Posts
Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
One screen is the SH-AWD torque distribution information, and at the bottom of this screen is showing the chosen IDS mode.
Thanks for the clarification, I toggle through the various screens rarely if at all, but leave it on the "mini" nav screen.

My wife's key fob is programmed to normal, and my fob is programmed to sport.

Quick Reply: Acura: TLX News