Acura: TLX News

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 05:38 PM
Liquid Ice

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by oonowindoo
Don't you find it ironic while everyone else is going for the black shadow (Glassy black) trim for sport models. TLX is going for the Chrome look as options?

I will go check out the 2.4 model to see if it is worth to replace my 06 accord.

I won't even drive the 3.5L ones because it really has nothing to offer.
I don't find it ironic at all because that would suggest that the TLX is a sport model - despite the "red carpet athlete" and all of the talk about sportiness, I don't think the TLX's aim is sport. Its almost as if as Lexus adds more passion and sport to their lineup (just look at the new RC-F), Acura is trying to remove it
Old 08-06-2014, 06:24 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,159 Likes on 1,387 Posts
Don't you find it ironic while everyone else is going for the black shadow (Glassy black) trim for sport models. TLX is going for the Chrome look as options?

I will go check out the 2.4 model to see if it is worth to replace my 06 accord.

I won't even drive the 3.5L ones because it really has nothing to offer.
I agree with you on this and I hate that Honda/Acura thinks chrome is sporty. It's not. Chrome is something Chevy adds to its cars to make them not look like horse manure. I have Chrome and the only reason I do is because my wife wanted the car to be red.
Old 08-06-2014, 06:55 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,146 Likes on 818 Posts
Originally Posted by JS + BRZ
Acura should tire SSFTSX as a private consultant.

Tires man, tires.
SSFTSX always has this firm belief that aftermarket tires can even resurrect a cripple car from it's death.
Old 08-06-2014, 07:06 PM

Received 5,929 Likes on 2,925 Posts
Originally Posted by JS + BRZ
Acura should tire SSFTSX as a private consultant.

Tires man, tires.
Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
SSFTSX always has this firm belief that aftermarket tires can even resurrect a cripple car from it's death.
Yes, but there's already a built-in excuse for why the inevitable crappy 0-60 times are not best-in-class! It's genius!
Old 08-06-2014, 08:46 PM
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 42 Posts
So after all the reviews,

The conclusion is base model is the car to buy: cheap and fun

If you want the V6, go buy something else.
Nothing you can really get in the price range. The 328 is arguably more fun to drive than the 335i, too. It's all about the weight on the front end. I don't think it's a deal breaker.

This could have lead to less praise for the TLX SH-AWD. Limited time with the car. We will see later (or you could test that one) I think the TLX definitely drives better than the TL SH-AWD:

"On the twisties, we didn't have a lot of opportunities to fully flesh out the system due to slow moving traffic, but the few times I was able to push a little harder, it felt similar to the previous generation SH-AWD system in that it felt like you had to overdrive the car a bit to get the maximum effect of the SH-AWD system."

TLX 3.5L SH-AWD
"We were generally quite impressed with this version of the TLX"

"For those who loved the 3rd generation TL (and the 4th-gen TL SH-AWD 6MT), the TLX V6 brings new highs in refinement, efficiency, and driving enjoyment."

That was taken from TOVs review. They liked the car regardless of its (few) flaws
Old 08-06-2014, 09:35 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
Originally Posted by H_CAR
Nothing you can really get in the price range. The 328 is arguably more fun to drive than the 335i, too. It's all about the weight on the front end. I don't think it's a deal breaker.

This could have lead to less praise for the TLX SH-AWD. Limited time with the car. We will see later (or you could test that one) I think the TLX definitely drives better than the TL SH-AWD:

"On the twisties, we didn't have a lot of opportunities to fully flesh out the system due to slow moving traffic, but the few times I was able to push a little harder, it felt similar to the previous generation SH-AWD system in that it felt like you had to overdrive the car a bit to get the maximum effect of the SH-AWD system."

TLX 3.5L SH-AWD

"For those who loved the 3rd generation TL (and the 4th-gen TL SH-AWD 6MT), the TLX V6 brings new highs in refinement, efficiency, and driving enjoyment."

That was taken from TOVs review. They liked the car regardless of its (few) flaws

The buyers in the $46k range is not the same as the buyers for the entry level $30k range.

at $30k you have buyers asking for bargain. For people who can afford a $46k before taxes will definitely looking at cars at $50k and even $55k.

Yes those cars might not be as well equipped as a fully loaded TLX AWD but the brand itself is such a big factor in that price range that TLX MUST be great car for the buyers to overlook the brand itself.

I can see the problem that TLX SHAWD will face already:

you have the enthusiasts looking at the TLX SHAWD because of the performance: Based on the review, it is just so so and the 9AT does not help

and you will have these buyers that know nothing about cars and they will get a base model 528i, E350, 328, 320 or whatever in that price range before even considering TLX SHAWD.

on the other hand at $30k TLX does offer a lot and you will get the same type but different level brand whores that will ditch V6 accord for 4 banger TLX.

i think at the end it really does not matter for TLX since most of sales will come from 4 bangers anyways. But sucks for us.
Old 08-06-2014, 10:14 PM

Received 5,929 Likes on 2,925 Posts
Nothing you can really get in the price range. The 328 is arguably more fun to drive than the 335i, too.
It is? Not, in my opinion.
Old 08-07-2014, 04:51 AM
Midnight Marauder

Received 56 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by ttribe
It is? Not, in my opinion.
Seriously, I've owned a 328 for the last five years,and while its a great car, I'd laugh at anyone who would consider it more fun than a 335. Some of these defenders of everything honda, just can't help themselves.
Old 08-07-2014, 07:12 AM
Pro

Received 65 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by jwong77
Seriously, I've owned a 328 for the last five years,and while its a great car, I'd laugh at anyone who would consider it more fun than a 335. Some of these defenders of everything honda, just can't help themselves.
You know that was pretty much the general consensus of the F30 when it came out among the auto press, right? Nope, must just be the Honda fanbois!

Based on what I've seen in these reviews though, Acura needs to get the 2.0T ready to go immediately. A 2.0T SH-AWD sounds like it would be an instant home run if it was priced right.

For now though, I have to hand it to them, they hit a home run with the TLX, they just can't sit back and admire their work. The rumbles I've heard from TOV, which are usually pretty spot on, is that the RLX is next on the list cars to "fix."

Old 08-07-2014, 08:07 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by LiQiCE

It is clear that the 2.4L base model is the most "fun" and the 3.5L V6 in both FWD and SH-AWD are best as a GT model. I'm glad I didn't wait for the car to come out and got the Lexus GS F-Sport instead which most would probably not cross shop but a leftover 2014 GS isn't too much more expensive than the 2015 TLX SH-AWD Advance at $45k.
I guess i have a different view of fun than some. Sure it may be more fun to toss around because if its weight advantage over the v6 (which is something they could have done something about with a little time tuning the suspension) but if it cant get out of its own way due to just over 200 hp i wouldnt call that fun. I want to put my foot down and have that power and torque coming out of a corner, something the 4cyl cant achieve. I dont want to have to drive it like i stole it to enjoy 6/10s driving. If Acura really wanted to make this car "Athletic" they should have made the SH-AWD V6 the same way, or at min i truly hope they have a model in the works with a more potent V6 mated to the SH-AWD for those that want the v6 power+ and SH-AWD.

Last edited by fsttyms1; 08-07-2014 at 08:24 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by fsttyms1:
EL19 (08-07-2014), JS + XES (08-07-2014), RPhilMan1 (08-07-2014)
Old 08-07-2014, 08:18 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 63 Likes on 37 Posts
F30 328 is completely different from the E90 328. It's been the general consensus that the F30 328 handles better than 335 because of less weight over the front tires.
Old 08-07-2014, 08:33 AM
Liquid Ice

TLX 3.5L SH-AWD

This might only apply right now while the TLX is selling for MSRP, but using truecar.com (and I find their prices a little high), a 2014 IS350 AWD F-Sport is $46,904 using my zip code in Northern Virginia.

Delete the F-Sport package which the TLX doesn't have an equivalent too (unless you want to say the $1800 Bodykit is equivalent) and you're looking at $43,976 - cheaper than the TLX SH-AWD Advance - although without some of the extra features (but while they might be 'cool', for a driving enthusiast, do you really need Lane keep assist?).

Just saying - at that price range you may not be able to afford a German 6 cylinder, but you can afford the Lexus 306hp V6 and a RWD biased AWD system.
Old 08-07-2014, 09:31 AM
2024 Honda Civic Type R

Received 1,473 Likes on 930 Posts
2014 Lexus IS350 AWD F-Sport | 2015 Acura TLX SH-AWD V6

3.5L V6 @ 306hp/277lb-ft | 3.5L V6 @ 290hp/267lb-ft

$45,750 | $44,700 with Advance Package

6-speed automatic | 9-speed automatic

5.7 seconds 0-60mph | 6? seconds 0-60mph

19mpg city/26mpg highway/21mpg combined | 21mpg city/31mpg highway/25mpg combined

183.7" length/71.3" width/56.3" height/110.2" wheelbase | 190.3" length/73.0" width/57" height/109.3" wheelbase

13.8 cu ft trunk capacity | 13.2 cu ft without Advance Package/14.3 cu ft with Advance Package

3737lbs curb weight | 3774lbs with Adv Pkg/3748lbs with Tech Pkg

44.8" F/32.2" R legroom | 42.6" F/34.5" R leg room

38.2" F/36.9" R headroom | 37.2" F/36.7" R leg room

17.4gal fuel tank capacity | 17.2gal fuel tank capacity

Predator | Beak

Last edited by RPhilMan1; 08-07-2014 at 09:34 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by RPhilMan1:
00TL-P3.2 (08-07-2014), LiQiCE (08-07-2014), Nabooly (08-08-2014)
Old 08-07-2014, 11:07 AM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
Originally Posted by EhkoXC
For now though, I have to hand it to them, they hit a home run with the TLX, they just can't sit back and admire their work.
For now, I'd call it a double.

If sales are strong, then I'd call it a home run.
Old 08-07-2014, 11:08 AM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
Some of these defenders of everything honda, just can't help themselves.
Come on man.

Torque. Do you think they have experienced it?
Old 08-07-2014, 11:22 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts

For now though, I have to hand it to them, they hit a home run with the TLX, they just can't sit back and admire their work. The rumbles I've heard from TOV, which are usually pretty spot on, is that the RLX is next on the list cars to "fix."[/COLOR]
[/COLOR]
How is this car a Home Run. All these good reviews aren't going to change Acura's image. Reviews don't get most people into the showroom. Lets settle down and wait for a few months of sales results before calling it a Home Run.
Old 08-07-2014, 11:36 AM
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 89 Posts
Originally Posted by dom
How is this car a Home Run. All these good reviews aren't going to change Acura's image. Reviews don't get most people into the showroom. Lets settle down and wait for a few months of sales results before calling it a Home Run.
Based on the reviews, the TLX 4-cylinder is a home run as a TSX replacement. Its strengths seems to be along the lines of a high-revving, low-torque, go-cart, lightweight 4-door tossable entry level sedan, much like the Integras and Civics. I would expect a lot of Fast and Furious street racer kids to be highly aroused by the 4-cylinder. Unfortunately, ownership by people from this demographics may actually push Acura more downmarket, not upmarket.

However, it's not so clear that the V6 SHAWD TLX is a home run as a 4G TL SHAWD replacement, as reviews seem to suggest that the TLX is s reduced-size luxo cruiser that has lost it's sporting edge. Why have a compact sedan that's not a driver's car?

To be sure, both the 4 and 6 cylinder cars are improvements over the outgoing models, simply just for being newer designs with more modern technology by the same company. However, their appeal may be primarily to existing traditional Honda owners. I hope I'm wrong, though.

Last edited by hddnav; 08-07-2014 at 11:50 AM.
Old 08-07-2014, 11:52 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 498 Likes on 249 Posts
Originally Posted by hddnav
Based on the reviews, the TLX 4-cylinder is a home run as a TSX replacement. Its strengths seems to be along the lines of a high-revving, low-torque, go-cart, lightweight 4-door tossable entry level sedan, much like the Integras and Civics. I would expect a lot of Fast and Furious street racer kids to be highly aroused by the 4-cylinder. Unfortunately, ownership by people from this demographics may actually push Acura more downmarket, not upmarket.

However, it's not so clear that the V6 SHAWD TLX is a home run as a 4G TL SHAWD replacement, as reviews seem to suggest that the TLX is s reduced-size luxo cruiser that has lost it's sporting edge. Why have a compact sedan that's not a driver's car?

To be sure, both the 4 and 6 cylinder cars are improvements over the outgoing models, simply just for being newer designs with more modern technology by the same company. However, their appeal may be primarily to existing traditional Honda owners. I hope I'm wrong, though.
the SH-AWD TLX has gotten good feed back. its the fwd v6 thats being egged on, not because its horrible its just the 4 cylinder is that much better.
Old 08-07-2014, 12:01 PM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
Based on the reviews, the TLX 4-cylinder is a home run as a TSX replacement. Its strengths seems to be along the lines of a high-revving, low-torque, go-cart, lightweight 4-door tossable entry level sedan, much like the Integras and Civics. I would expect a lot of Fast and Furious street racer kids to be highly aroused by the 4-cylinder.
It's a solid replacement for the out-going TSX. But that still doesn't make it a home run. But if you're comparing it to an Integra and Civic and referring to it as an "entry level sedan," then I can kind of see where you're coming from.

FYI... the TLX wasn't designed to be an "entry level sedan, much like the Integras and Civics." It was designed to be a "red carpet athlete" (i.e. luxurious and sporty).
Old 08-07-2014, 12:18 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 835 Likes on 519 Posts
Bottom line is Honda/Acura just can't make a good AT (outsourced or in house)

But they do make one of the best MT, CVT and Maybe the DCT(we will see how reliable they are soon enough)
Time to make that DCT to be compatible with SH-AWd and more torque....

It is clear that the 2.4L base model is the most "fun" and the 3.5L V6 in both FWD and SH-AWD are best as a GT model. I'm glad I didn't wait for the car to come out and got the Lexus GS F-Sport instead which most would probably not cross shop but a leftover 2014 GS isn't too much more expensive than the 2015 TLX SH-AWD Advance at $45k.

I don't think I would have bought the 2.4L, I really wanted the 3.5L SH-AWD but it doesn't sound like I would have been happy with it except for maybe gas mileage. The reviews also seem to agree that this car satisfied Acura owners who loved the 3G TL or 1G TSX - but what about former Acura owners who switched to a different manufacturer and would consider Acura if it could match up to other makes?

Converts from other makes is probably even harder - surely Acura would want to attract owners of other makes, but it doesn't sound like this TLX will make owners of other luxury brands even consider this car. Maybe Lexus, Cadillac or Infiniti but probably not BMW / Audi owners.

I will still probably go and test drive one - and maybe during the mid-cycle refresh (or hopefully for all of us enthusiasts sooner) a Type-S model will come out that will change my mind. Or maybe CT Engineering (or some company) will release some mods to help make the TLX more sporty. My old 2003 TL Type S with all the Comptech mods and coilovers was a completely different car than stock.
I suspect the TLX is probably too small for you if you opted for a GS instead.

I think Acura has to be patient. The TLX so far is receiving great reviews from almost every car journalist. Let's see how the car does in the market first. Right now, the biggest obstacle is not the car itself, but the overall brand image. This is probably the major factor that is holding Acura back from stealing customers from other brands or win back previous owners. This is where patience and continuous improvement become important. If TLX becomes a success, Acura needs to build on that momentum. For instance, fix the RLX, fix the ILX, launch Type S trims, etc. If Acura is able to follow up, then may be the brand image might improve, and may be is the keyword.

I don't find it ironic at all because that would suggest that the TLX is a sport model - despite the "red carpet athlete" and all of the talk about sportiness, I don't think the TLX's aim is sport. Its almost as if as Lexus adds more passion and sport to their lineup (just look at the new RC-F), Acura is trying to remove it
The buyers in the $46k range is not the same as the buyers for the entry level $30k range.

at $30k you have buyers asking for bargain. For people who can afford a $46k before taxes will definitely looking at cars at $50k and even $55k.

Yes those cars might not be as well equipped as a fully loaded TLX AWD but the brand itself is such a big factor in that price range that TLX MUST be great car for the buyers to overlook the brand itself.

I can see the problem that TLX SHAWD will face already:

you have the enthusiasts looking at the TLX SHAWD because of the performance: Based on the review, it is just so so and the 9AT does not help

and you will have these buyers that know nothing about cars and they will get a base model 528i, E350, 328, 320 or whatever in that price range before even considering TLX SHAWD.

on the other hand at $30k TLX does offer a lot and you will get the same type but different level brand whores that will ditch V6 accord for 4 banger TLX.

i think at the end it really does not matter for TLX since most of sales will come from 4 bangers anyways. But sucks for us.
For sure a buyer in the $30k market is different than a buyer looking at a $46k vehicle.

But then I don't think H Car was specifically talking about the top trim of the TLX. He is only referring to the TLX SH-AWD which to be fair starts at $41.5k with the tech pkg. A buyer in the $40k range would be different than a buyer looking at a $50k car I'd imagine?

At $41k, you are looking at a slightly loaded 328i or decently loaded 320i, etc. I mean what you said would still apply, at $40k, probably most folks would simply go for a a decently loaded 320i or a slightly loaded 328i just for the brand name.
Old 08-07-2014, 12:22 PM
Pro

Received 65 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by dom
And yet all of you saying things like this would be the first in line to start throwing stones if the reviews were negative.

The truth is they made a good car that stacks up well against the competition at a lower price. Good reviews do matter, just as much as bad reviews do.
Old 08-07-2014, 12:43 PM
Team Owner

And yet all of you saying things like this would be the first in line to start throwing stones if the reviews were negative.

The truth is they made a good car that stacks up well against the competition at a lower price. Good reviews do matter, just as much as bad reviews do.
You have to keep in mind that we are the buyers and Acura is the seller. So Acura needs to prove it to us, not the other way around.

So negative review = instant death for most of us

good review = well, we are still skeptical based on its history and let's be honest, while all the supplemental amenities sound very good (sound insulation, 8 Dct and etc...) the most important 2 categories: Exterior and Engine are still Blah

now if the car had a home run exterior and new engine (Put DI in the J35 and K24 is not considered new to me) and with great reviews. then yah we will shut up and go pick 1 up ourselves. (some of us will)

Remember, Currently good is not good enough for Acura, they need to make cars that are GREAT/Better than everyone else's to hit the home run they need.
Old 08-07-2014, 12:58 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by iforyou
Time to make that DCT to be compatible with SH-AWd and more torque....

For sure a buyer in the $30k market is different than a buyer looking at a $46k vehicle.

But then I don't think H Car was specifically talking about the top trim of the TLX. He is only referring to the TLX SH-AWD which to be fair starts at $41.5k with the tech pkg. A buyer in the $40k range would be different than a buyer looking at a $50k car I'd imagine?

At $41k, you are looking at a slightly loaded 328i or decently loaded 320i, etc. I mean what you said would still apply, at $40k, probably most folks would simply go for a a decently loaded 320i or a slightly loaded 328i just for the brand name.
i understand what you are trying to say but calling it no other options at 40-50k range is just not true.

RLX FWD can be had for $50k, it offers Soo much more than its competitors at $50k but yet people are still willing to spend $5k, $10k even $20k more to get its direct competitors.

this effect is less dramatic for $40k-$50k market but same rule still can apply because these are the future $50k $60k car buyers in a few years.

For example $42k TLX AWD base, vs $43k 335i base. 80% of the standard features on TLX are standard on 335i or IS350 or C400. You add a few thousands, 335i M sport/IS350 F sport will have more than $42k TLX SHAWD base. So when you put other things like image, free maintenance, better engine and etc... into consideration. You will see there are plenty of options out there at that price range.
Old 08-07-2014, 03:39 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,176 Likes on 2,593 Posts
what happened to him? Is he having an affair with Moog?
Where's Moog been? Is he OK and just taking a break?
Haven't seen any posting for sometime.
Old 08-07-2014, 03:40 PM
▒JDM ¥ KING▒

Received 141 Likes on 65 Posts
Dudes!
Saw and drove the car today! Very impressed!
New advise / homework for all silly regulars in here: stop posting your whines and go test drive the car!
Then come back in here and share some realistic feedback...

The following users liked this post:
TSX69 (08-08-2014)
Old 08-07-2014, 03:41 PM
I drive a Subata.

Uh.

Old 08-07-2014, 03:46 PM
▒JDM ¥ KING▒

Originally Posted by Legend2TL
Where's Moog been? Is he OK and just taking a break?
Haven't seen any posting for sometime.
Pretty sure he drove the car and now he feels sorry for all the time waisted in here with nonsense negativism... lol
skd2k1 (08-07-2014)
Old 08-07-2014, 03:47 PM
I drive a Subata.

Originally Posted by MuGen7Modulo
Dudes!
New advise / homework for all silly regulars in here: stop posting your whines and go test drive the car!

[IMG]http://i59.tinypic.com/t82e4j.jpg

[IMG]http://i58.tinypic.com/2d14hus.jpg
Oh shut up.

Nobody is really hating on it. Some can be more critical on it, but if you actually open your eyes and read others' posts, you can tell people are giving positive feedback along with the reviews.

I hate to be the one to say it, but your attitude irks a lot of members in most of the threads you post in. Learn to adapt. Try to be normal. Post like a sane person.

Pretty sure he drove the car and now he feels sorry for all the time waisted in here with nonsense negativism... lol
See what I'm saying?
Old 08-07-2014, 03:51 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,176 Likes on 2,593 Posts

Last edited by Legend2TL; 08-07-2014 at 04:01 PM.
kurtatx (08-07-2014)
Old 08-07-2014, 04:40 PM
Team Owner

Dudes!

More importantly, are you going to trade in your Accord for 1?
Old 08-07-2014, 05:20 PM
Liquid Ice

Dudes!

Is the beak really shiny chrome like it looks in that picture?

All of the pictures I've seen make it look more like a flat silver, but it looks very reflective in your pic.
Old 08-07-2014, 05:25 PM
Team Owner

All of the pictures I've seen make it look more like a flat silver, but it looks very reflective in your pic.
That is the optional Sports Trim package.i see Palm trees in the beak.

Last edited by oonowindoo; 08-07-2014 at 05:29 PM.
Old 08-07-2014, 05:26 PM
Team Owner

The more i look at it, the more it looks like a 4G TL minus the headlight and foglight.

Old 08-07-2014, 06:05 PM
▒JDM ¥ KING▒

More importantly, are you going to trade in your Accord for 1?
Planning to do that in a couple of years, I still like my car even if is 10 years old and now that is all Mugen. I have in mind the top of line Accord but at MMC, I like TLX but not first year production and some sort of RLX might be in the picture too. I need interior space, tall person here.

Oddly, the interior layout/finishes resembles the 03-07 Accord a little.

Let's call it "Acura crossbar" has that hyper silver finish and the grille contour has the mirror chrome one. Pretty sure when the TLX Hybrid comes out they'll use the dark hyper silver like in RLXh.

That is the optional Sports Trim package.i see Palm trees in the beak.
I wish they were palm trees but this is in Chicago area.

Last edited by MuGen7Modulo; 08-07-2014 at 06:07 PM.
Old 08-07-2014, 06:11 PM
Liquid Ice

Originally Posted by iforyou
I suspect the TLX is probably too small for you if you opted for a GS instead.
They're actually not that far off. It is surprising when you look at the dimensions.

TLX (I used SH-AWD Advanced) versus GS350 AWD
----------------------------------------
Front head room
37.2 in. versus 38.0 in.
Front hip room
55.3 in. versus 54.5 in.
Front leg room
42.6 in. versus 42.3 in.
Front shoulder room
57.5 in. versus 57.3 in.
Rear hip Room
54.9 in. versus 54.1 in.
Rear head room
36.7 in. versus 37.8 in.
Rear leg room
34.5 in. versus 36.8 in.
Rear shoulder room
55.4 in. versus 55.7 in.
Width
73.0 in. versus 72.4 in.
Height
57.0 in. versus 57.3 in.
Length
190.3 in. versus 190.7 in.
Front track
62.8 in. versus 62.0 in.
Rear track
63.1 in. versus 62.6 in.
Wheel base
109.3 in. versus 112.2 in.
Cargo capacity, all seats in place
13.2 cu.ft (without Advanced) / 14.3 cu.ft. (with Advanced) versus 14.3 cu.ft.

EPA interior volume
106.5 cu.ft. (without Advanced) 107.6 cu.ft. (with Advanced) versus 113.0 cu.ft.
Curb weight
3774 lbs. (For SH-AWD Advanced) versus. 3970 lbs.

They aren't all that different in terms of size. The TLX is kind of in between the size of the IS and the GS.

I was actually surprised, the GS is shorter in length (although not by much) than my 2003 TL-S.
Old 08-07-2014, 07:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 549 Likes on 349 Posts
i understand what you are trying to say but calling it no other options at 40-50k range is just not true.

RLX FWD can be had for $50k, it offers Soo much more than its competitors at $50k but yet people are still willing to spend $5k, $10k even $20k more to get its direct competitors.

this effect is less dramatic for $40k-$50k market but same rule still can apply because these are the future $50k $60k car buyers in a few years.

For example $42k TLX AWD base, vs $43k 335i base. 80% of the standard features on TLX are standard on 335i or IS350 or C400. You add a few thousands, 335i M sport/IS350 F sport will have more than $42k TLX SHAWD base. So when you put other things like image, free maintenance, better engine and etc... into consideration. You will see there are plenty of options out there at that price range.
I have to disagree about 80% of the features standard on the base AWD (which has tech) are going to be on a 335. Isn't Bluetooth audio still an option on that car? I would say price wise it's more in line with an IS350. Even still the TLX is priced very well for this segment.

Will it steal any Lexus or BMW buyers? I have no idea, but time will tell and Acura will try and make that case I am sure. No question a pure automotive enthusiast will most likely prefer the RWD competitors, but they're not the majority of the market.

Last edited by Curious3GTL; 08-07-2014 at 07:14 PM.
Old 08-07-2014, 07:48 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

I guess this depends on what exactly we're defining as a home run. The car or it's sales. I was referring to sales. Really hoping the reviews are accurate and the 4 cylinder is in fact a better 1 gen TSX.
ttribe (08-07-2014)
Old 08-07-2014, 07:51 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

I'm not doubting that at all. I'm just seriously doubting that how good the car is will matter to potential buyers in the segment. Acura's image is the barrier with the TLX. Hope they can overcome that barrier.
Old 08-07-2014, 08:22 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Curious3GTL
I have to disagree about 80% of the features standard on the base AWD (which has tech) are going to be on a 335. Isn't Bluetooth audio still an option on that car? I would say price wise it's more in line with an IS350. Even still the TLX is priced very well for this segment.

Will it steal any Lexus or BMW buyers? I have no idea, but time will tell and Acura will try and make that case I am sure. No question a pure automotive enthusiast will most likely prefer the RWD competitors, but they're not the majority of the market.
your information about 335 is very outdated. i would suggest you to check out the F30 335i's standard feature list and you will be surprised and yes bluetooth audio/text/phone is standard.
you are right the enthusiasts are not majority of the market, but so is TLX SHAWD? 4banger will make up for most of its sales #s.
Old 08-07-2014, 09:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 549 Likes on 349 Posts
your information about 335 is very outdated. i would suggest you to check out the F30 335i's standard feature list and you will be surprised and yes bluetooth audio/text/phone is standard.
you are right the enthusiasts are not majority of the market, but so is TLX SHAWD? 4banger will make up for most of its sales #s.
According to BMW's website I see "Enhanced USB and Bluetooth plus Smartphone Integration" as a $500 option. I also see Bluetooth audio is now standard so I guess you have to pay to get the apps. However, the BMW still will need a few options box checked to match some of the TLX standard features. It also offers some things the TLX doesn't like heated rear seats, and a heated wheel, but you have to pay for those. Overall for "features" the TLX still seems like a much better deal. If you care about the driving experience more than the technology clearly the BMW is going to be your car.

Quick Reply: Acura: TLX News