Acura: TLX News

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 12:00 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
http://www.forbes.com/sites/kbrauer/...as-sedan-woes/

Good review. The author even used Sport+ mode.
That is not a positive review, IMO. Acura is not going to survive if the base model is the best value and the SH-AWD V6 isn't worth the money. And if all Acura is going to get out of the TLX is ending the erosion of their market share among previous owners, I don't know how much longer Acura is going to be around.
Old 08-04-2014, 12:09 PM
Pro

Received 65 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by charliemike
That is not a positive review, IMO. Acura is not going to survive if the base model is the best value and the SH-AWD V6 isn't worth the money. And if all Acura is going to get out of the TLX is ending the erosion of their market share among previous owners, I don't know how much longer Acura is going to be around.
You are literally the only person to take that away from that review.

By your logic, the fact that many reviewers preferred the 328i to the 335i in the newest gen 3 Series makes that one a failure too?

About the only version I've seen get a lukewarm reception is the V6 FWD, the reviews have largely liked the SH-AWD and the I4.
Old 08-04-2014, 12:25 PM
brahs be jelly

Received 247 Likes on 169 Posts
This car looks like ass IMO. I still get compliments on my CL; doubt that would ever happen in this.

Honda, what happened to you?

Old 08-04-2014, 12:27 PM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
It's not that bad. Certainly not a thing that I use my emoji but it's 100 times better than the OG 4G TL. Should look 100 times better with a new of set wheels.
Old 08-04-2014, 12:48 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 498 Likes on 249 Posts
Originally Posted by charliemike
i dont think youre looking at it right... base models sell more than any of the other models. if you dont hit a home run with the base model then you have failed. youre thinking as a enthusiast.... we are a few are far between in this segment. for every enthusiast there are probably 20 buyers who are looking at this car as their daily commuter who never drive these cars to the limit like we do here on the forums. if you dont think acura is gonna be around you have no clue about the car market. if you acura sells as many as TLXs as they think they are, Acura will be in the 4 in sales in the luxury segement maybe even top 3.. they arent going anywhere.
Old 08-04-2014, 12:53 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Originally Posted by MTEAZY
This car looks like ass IMO. I still get compliments on my CL; doubt that would ever happen in this.

Honda, what happened to you?

I've seen it in person. It looks fine, just like the 3rd gen TL. It'll age well
Old 08-04-2014, 12:57 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 498 Likes on 249 Posts
Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
I've seen it in person. It looks fine, just like the 3rd gen TL. It'll age well
lol same thing i was thinking. if any 3G owners question how the tlx looks then i would to them go at your 3G, imagine it updated and bam you have the tlx.
Old 08-04-2014, 01:03 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,146 Likes on 818 Posts
Originally Posted by EhkoXC

About the only version I've seen get a lukewarm reception is the V6 FWD, the reviews have largely liked the SH-AWD and the I4.
It doesn't matter what the reviews like or don't like.

After all, it is the consumers that will ultimately decide the fate of the various TLX trim models.

But in general, the cheaper models are usually the fast movers, and the most expensive models are the slowest movers.
Old 08-04-2014, 01:37 PM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
Not really surprised to read that it drives and handles well. Hasn't that usually been their forte? The question is will that and the value the car offers be enough to translate into meaningful sales? Because most of us already know that the car doesn't really do anything in the looks department which, for some people, is also important.

What I am a bit surprised at are reviewers preferring the I4 over the V6/V6 SH-AWD trims.
Old 08-04-2014, 02:00 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,159 Likes on 1,387 Posts
Originally Posted by AZuser
What I am a bit surprised at are reviewers preferring the I4 over the V6/V6 SH-AWD trims.
There appears to be a charm with driving the TLX not experienced in an Acura since the 1G TSX. Combined that with the transmission reviewers seem to find favorable and the 2.4 TLX is getting some seriously positive press.
Old 08-04-2014, 02:02 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by AZuser

Because with the less mass its more eager to have fun. If Acura would have given a proper motor (320-330ish hp) to the sh-awd the reviews would probably be much different. The na v6 with awd just has too much to lug around to be fun.
Old 08-04-2014, 02:20 PM
_

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
If Acura would have given a proper motor (320-330ish hp) and a manual transmission to the sh-awd the reviews would probably be much different.
Old 08-04-2014, 02:27 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
Basically what the reviews are saying is:

TSX is a better car to drive than a V6 TL. and that sounds about right.

After all the reviews i have read, it seems there is really nothing new or "stand out" that will attract "More/New" customers.

Other than their DCT and 8 speed auto, i don't see anything new that they can really advertise on

good car, but we will see.

Last edited by oonowindoo; 08-04-2014 at 02:40 PM.
Old 08-04-2014, 03:27 PM
_

Originally Posted by oonowindoo
After all the reviews i have read, it seems there is really nothing new or "stand out" that will attract "More/New" customers.

Other than their DCT and 8 speed auto, i don't see anything new that they can really advertise on
They have their new and improved smaller hump. It's "really improved in every way" and will now give them that "competitive advantage" they've been missing. You have no idea how many customers were complaining about and were turned off by that old hump.

Acura Hopes AWD Helps It Recoup Sales

The new SH-AWD for the TLX is more compact, lighter and more responsive than the prior generation of the technology, Accavitti said. Key improvements include:
* A smaller profile eliminates the cars' center hump.

* Lower weight boosts fuel economy.

* Re-engineered actuators reduce drag and enhance dynamics.
Honda Motor Co.'s premium brand expects the improvements to pull in new customers and help offset double-digit U.S. sales declines in June and July caused by the delayed launch of the new TLX, Accavitti said.

"This is something we think we can wrap our brand around. And we're taking a look right now and analyzing how we can do that and communicate it," Accavitti said. "It's a space that we own. And it offers the customer a distinct benefit."

Engineers trimmed 8% off the height of the latest SH-AWD system, thereby eliminating the center hump, and achieved a 2% reduction in drag, Acura says. They also delivered a 25% weight reduction, partly by eliminating the planetary gear, using a single-motor design and integrating the lubrication pump into the main assembly.

"It's really improved in every way," Accavitti said. "We were able to remove the hump out of the floor. That's a really important thing for our customers. It's a competitive advantage."
Old 08-04-2014, 04:21 PM
Team Owner

Oh if they wanna advertise the hump, there are endless opportunities when there is hump involved.
Old 08-04-2014, 04:49 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 835 Likes on 519 Posts
The reviews are all pretty darn positive. Basically the TLX combines the best attributes of both TSX and TL into one car and eliminate the negatives.

The TLX seems to be a modern 1G TSX and 3G TL. It does not excel in any area, but it is very good and competitive in each area.

It is good to know the noise level is kept to a very low level now.
Old 08-04-2014, 05:27 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,814 Likes on 13,990 Posts
Motor Authority's write-up: http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...lx-first-drive
Old 08-04-2014, 05:46 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by iforyou
The reviews are all pretty darn positive. Basically the TLX combines the best attributes of both TSX and TL into one car and eliminate the negatives.

The TLX seems to be a modern 1G TSX and 3G TL. It does not excel in any area, but it is very good and competitive in each area.

It is good to know the noise level is kept to a very low level now.
So in other word, Mediocre... which is what we have been saying all along.
Old 08-04-2014, 05:54 PM
Team Owner

They were kidding right?

Shifts are jerky, slow, and lazy; downshifts lack the zing you want to match revs; and when switching from reverse to drive, expect to wait a good 3-5 seconds before anything—anything at all—happens.
Old 08-04-2014, 06:44 PM
Azine Jabroni

On the contrary, the reviews are basically a "good" for everything. Nothing "fantastic". That's not "mediocre", it's "good". Apparently the 4 cylinder is more like "very good".

So, in short, you have been wrong all along.
The following 2 users liked this post by kurtatx:
MuGen7Modulo (08-04-2014), skd2k1 (08-05-2014)
Old 08-04-2014, 06:51 PM
I drive a Subata.

"Good" for everything.

Nothing "fantastic".

Much better than 4G TL.

This would be a good consensus of TLX for now.
Old 08-04-2014, 06:54 PM
Azine Jabroni

Originally Posted by JS + BRZ
"Good" for everything.

Nothing "fantastic".

Much better than 4G TL.

This would be a good consensus of TLX for now.
That is a more than fair assessment, but we can't call it "mediocre" either. Especially when the reviews indicate the 4 cylinder is surprisingly fun to drive.

Need some engine "advancement" to replace the big ole 6 cylinder to help that guy.
Old 08-04-2014, 07:04 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by kurtatx
On the contrary, the reviews are basically a "good" for everything. Nothing "fantastic". That's not "mediocre", it's "good". Apparently the 4 cylinder is more like "very good".

So, in short, you have been wrong all along.
How have we been wrong all along? we have been saying TLX is mediocre, not 4 cylinder or V6. The car as a whole. Reviewers are saying 4 cylinders are very good and FWD V6 should be removed and SHAWD V6 is a heavy pig.

(Very good + Should be removed + Heavy pig)/3 = mediocre

I think i am actually being pretty generous calling it mediocre.
Again reviews mean nothing, we will see with the overall sales # because that is what matters.

Last edited by oonowindoo; 08-04-2014 at 07:11 PM.
Old 08-04-2014, 07:24 PM
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 42 Posts
How have we been wrong all along? we have been saying TLX is mediocre, not 4 cylinder or V6. The car as a whole. Reviewers are saying 4 cylinders are very good and FWD V6 should be removed and SHAWD V6 is a heavy pig.

(Very good + Should be removed + Heavy pig)/3 = mediocre

I think i am actually being pretty generous calling it mediocre.
Again reviews mean nothing, we will see with the overall sales # because that is what matters.
Reviews mean nothing, but if the TLX had gotten poor reviews you would be saying that they do matter and the car would be a fail

Like the first gen TSX (Which was more enjoyable to drive than the V6 TL), the 4 cylinder model TLX looks to be the same thing.

Why would Acura remove the FWD V6 TLX? Most buyers in this segment don't even care if the car has sporty handling, but they still want all the refinement of a 6 cylinder engine. Do you expect all TL owners to downgrade to a 4 cylinder?

The SH-AWD TLX is not a heavy pig. It's no surprise the lighter less nose heavy TLX 2.4 was more fun on tight back roads. The TL SH-AWD was quite similar in this regard, but it was still a great driving car.

So, you're wrong about this car, just like you have been in the past (this whole time). The TLX will do well it is NOT a mediocre car.
The following 2 users liked this post by H_CAR:
Boulder TSX (08-06-2014), kurtatx (08-04-2014)
Old 08-04-2014, 07:35 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by H_CAR
Reviews mean nothing, but if the TLX had gotten poor reviews you would be saying that they do matter and the car would be a fail

Like the first gen TSX (Which was more enjoyable to drive than the V6 TL), the 4 cylinder model TLX looks to be the same thing.

Why would Acura remove the FWD V6 TLX? Most buyers in this segment don't even care if the car has sporty handling, but they still want all the refinement of a 6 cylinder engine. Do you expect all TL owners to downgrade to a 4 cylinder?

The SH-AWD TLX is not a heavy pig. It's no surprise the lighter less nose heavy TLX 2.4 was more fun on tight back roads. The TL SH-AWD was quite similar in this regard, but it was still a great driving car.

So, you're wrong about this car, just like you have been in the past (this whole time). The TLX will do well it is NOT a mediocre car.
Saying someone is WRONG about a car that has not been released is very convincing....

First of all, i said reviews mean thing... scroll up and read again.
Everything you said still does not explain why it is not a mediocre car?

Just like i have been in the past? huh? 4G TL great driving car? compare to what? Camry? When i am in the market for a "GREAT driving car" TL will definitely not be on my list.

Besides i did not come up with the conclusion about FWD V6 should be removed and V6 SHAWD is a heavy pig. That is what the reviewer said.
We can ignore the reviews and then let the sales # determine whether if TLX is successful or not, for a volume model, that is what really matters.

But keep it in mind, it replaces 2 models, there is no doubt TLX will sell more than 4G TL but can it make up the difference. We will see.

Let's recap what we have been saying all along:

TLX will sell, but will it sell enough to make up the #s for 2 models?
TLX looks better than 4G TL, but it is hard not to look better when comparing to 4G TL.
It is a good car but nothing stands out (i guess mediocre is subjective, but you can't say someone is WRONG because he does not agree with you)
We hope Acura priced it right, or it will die
do well is NOT good enough at this point for Acura when nothing in their sedan line up is selling. They needed a home run to bring customers back for TLX and other models. Good enough is not enough.

Last edited by oonowindoo; 08-04-2014 at 07:42 PM.
Old 08-04-2014, 07:42 PM
Azine Jabroni

Saying someone is WRONG about a car that has not been released is very convincing....

First of all, i said reviews mean thing... scroll up and read again.
Everything you said still does not explain why it is not a mediocre car?

Just like i have been in the past? huh? 4G TL great driving car? compare to what? Camry? When i am in the market for a "GREAT driving car" TL will definitely not be on my list.

Besides i did not come up with the conclusion about FWD V6 should be removed and V6 SHAWD is a heavy pig. That is what the reviewer said.

We can ignore the reviews and then let the sales # determine whether if TLX is successful or not, for a volume model, that is what really matters.

But keep it in mind, it replaces 2 models, there is no doubt TLX will sell more than 4G TL but can it make up the difference. We will see.
Fair enough, but you're not off to a great start. And please quote the part of any article where anyone uses the term "heavy pig".

Look at you, already padding your argument for when the numbers come out in a light you don't like. You really hate being wrong, don't you?
The following users liked this post:
H_CAR (08-04-2014)
Old 08-04-2014, 07:59 PM
Team Owner

padding? i guess you did not read the whole thread, did you? No one used to the term "heavy pig" but if you can't get that out of the 4 or 5 reviews posted, then you need to read it again.

I think that is what we (i) have been saying before the spec/or official pictures were released.

Since you are so lazy to read and like to jump to conclusion without reading:

Here are some 2 example i found in 30 secs in this thread:
Page 235
TLX - Exterior - Average
TLX - Interior - Average
TLX - Engine - Average
TLX - Tech - Average
Acura Brand in Luxury Market - Average to Below Average
Marketing - Sucks

So It is reasonable to call TLX is just average overall.

Now there is nothing wrong with just being average, however, when currently your entire sedan lineup is a proven failure, and your big comeback is to offer an average sedan and expect customers to ditch their BMW, Mercedes, Infiniti, Lexus and Audi?
Page 198 in April

Yah and they don't understand the fact that we have been pretty accurate for the past 10-15 years on the forum.

While fanboyz drooled over the new jeweled eye RLX, we were saying WTF is this and of course people in car talks are haters again.

ILX - same reaction
4G TL - same result.

So my prediction is if Acura does not fuck up the pricing like they did with RLX, TLX will sell but will it become as successful as 3G? highly unlikely, unless it can sell more than 3G TL + 1G TSX combined.
Will it have the same ability to compete with the industry? let's see what those 2.4L N/A 4 bangers and 20 years old J series can do.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:38 PM
Liquid Ice

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
I almost wonder if these reviews are positive from the standpoint of - compared to other cars in its class, it really is good - or if they are positive from the standpoint of, the 4G TL was so bad that this is surprisingly decent / not as bad as the 4G TL. It will be interesting to see some good comparisons where reviewers will be driving cars from different manufacturers back to back.

One wtf thing I read is that the heated/cooled seats are not controlled by a button - they are controlled via the touchscreen and require a button press to get to the screen first to adjust the heated/cooled seats and then you need to keep pressing the screen to get to the level you want.

Also - no tuning knob for the radio seems weird - it is controllable via the scroll wheel on the steering wheel, but that means only the driver can adjust the radio.

(Link to the heated/cooled seat issue: http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/1...the-3-series/2 )

Want to heat or cool the front seats? Most cars have a button for that. With the TLX, you tap a seat button on the lower LCD, a new screen pops up, and you tap one-two-three times for max heat or cold. If you’re on a bumpy road, you may have to tap a couple more times to undo a missed finger tap.
Old 08-04-2014, 09:18 PM
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 89 Posts
Overall, I find the TLX to be a likable car for a young couple. However, I wonder who the target audience is... it's obvious that the TLX is a huge upgrade in all ways from a TSX, but how is the TLX an upgrade for someone like me (a family of four, with 2 nine-year-old kids)?

What I found appealing in my 4G TL SHAWD is the fact that it's a refined sport sedan with enough room and safety for 4. I remember reading that the rear legroom of the TLX is something like 4 inches less than the 4G TL. Wouldn't this be a show stopper for anyone who has kids older than toddlers?

By the way, I used to own a 1997 Integra GS-R 4-door, so I most definitely have a soft spot for well-balanced sport sedans.
Old 08-04-2014, 09:37 PM
Azine Jabroni

Originally Posted by hddnav
Overall, I find the TLX to be a likable car for a young couple. However, I wonder who the target audience is... it's obvious that the TLX is a huge upgrade in all ways from a TSX, but how is the TLX an upgrade for someone like me (a family of four, with 2 nine-year-old kids)?

What I found appealing in my 4G TL SHAWD is the fact that it's a refined sport sedan with enough room and safety for 4. I remember reading that the rear legroom of the TLX is something like 4 inches less than the 4G TL. Wouldn't this be a show stopper for anyone who has kids older than toddlers?

By the way, I used to own a 1997 Integra GS-R 4-door, so I most definitely have a soft spot for well-balanced sport sedans.
I see a number of TL owners coming out of the woodwork asking why the TLX is an improvement.

It's smaller
It's not hideous (especially compared to the TL)
It's not a boat
It's SH-AWD system is lighter
Reviews indicate the interior is better
It's supposed to be quieter with the inline 4
The DCT is better than an automatic
A number of reviews note that the interior space is equivalent to the TL

There's also no evidence to suggest it is not safer.

and it's not as as the TL

say what you want about its competitors, but the TLX is an obvious improvement over the TL.
Old 08-04-2014, 10:01 PM
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 89 Posts
Good try. My comments below

I see a number of TL owners coming out of the woodwork asking why the TLX is an improvement.

It's smaller - Sorry, but unless you're a young 20-something with no family, smaller isn't necessarily better. It's called a stage of life that we all go through.
It's not hideous (especially compared to the TL) - Purely subjective. One of my reasons for buying my TL was because I really liked the way the 2012 and later MMC looks.
It's not a boat - There is no indication that the TL SHAWD drives like a boat, despite perhaps weighing as much as one.
It's SH-AWD system is lighter - yes, this is an expected evolutionary improvement for a newer system
Reviews indicate the interior is better - More modern, I'm sure. This is no to say that what's old is necessarily bad, though.
It's supposed to be quieter with the inline 4 - Especially compared to the TSX.
The DCT is better than an automatic - No disagreement, although I would definitely buy an extended warranty for the new DCT alone.
A number of reviews note that the interior space is equivalent to the TL - We'll see... I remember seeing interior specs that showed that the space for the front passengers is the same as the TL. Not sure about the rear, though.

There's also no evidence to suggest it is not safer. - You're right.

and it's not as as the TL - The TSX is no looker, either.

say what you want about its competitors, but the TLX is an obvious improvement over the TL. - That's the question: how so factually? You don't sound like you've ever driven a 4G TL
Old 08-05-2014, 07:48 AM
Azine Jabroni

Good try. My comments below
fair enough. Until we get to actually drive the thing, it's hard to know. I don't think there's any question in my mind the car will be better than the 4G TL, but there is something to be said for whether or not it's good enough for one to replace his old TL.

Edit: and with regards to my TSX, yeah, she's not much of a looker, but I love the red.
Old 08-05-2014, 08:17 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
fair enough. Until we get to actually drive the thing, it's hard to know. I don't think there's any question in my mind the car will be better than the 4G TL, but there is something to be said for whether or not it's good enough for one to replace his old TL.

Edit: and with regards to my TSX, yeah, she's not much of a looker, but I love the red.
Better in what way though. What may be better to you may not be better to someone else.

And yes, im sure it will be an improvement in many areas, not all though. Its a lot newer with newer tech so it should be, especially the electronics side. The big question is size. Ive read conflicting reports on overall interior space. If its significantly smaller it will be a huge turn off to me. Im very disappointed in the RLX and the lack of headroom.
Old 08-05-2014, 10:15 AM
2024 Honda Civic Type R

Received 1,473 Likes on 930 Posts
Interesting reviews.

I really hope they plan on adding a turbo-4 to the TLX. I think a turbo-4 8DCT TLX would be fun. Perhaps since noise reduction is such a high priority, they haven't quite yet? And eventually a V6 MT TLX or even turbo-6 MT TLX would be great as well (I'd love to see an MT in the turbo-4 as well).

It'd be cool to drive the 4-cyl TLX to see how it feels compared to my past 1G TSX. That was a really fun car, but just felt underpowered.
Old 08-05-2014, 12:01 PM
I drive a Subata.

You are missing the point.

Anything's an upgrade from 4G TL. :wink:
Old 08-05-2014, 01:10 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
Seems like the 4-cylinder TLX is the real star. I would buy one, fake wood & all.
Old 08-05-2014, 02:20 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 835 Likes on 519 Posts
The TLX would probably be mediocre to you, if you also felt that the 1G TSX and 3G TL were mediocre.

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Better in what way though. What may be better to you may not be better to someone else.

And yes, im sure it will be an improvement in many areas, not all though. Its a lot newer with newer tech so it should be, especially the electronics side. The big question is size. Ive read conflicting reports on overall interior space. If its significantly smaller it will be a huge turn off to me. Im very disappointed in the RLX and the lack of headroom.
Ya, there's really nothing much Acura could do eh? They are purposely downsizing the TLX from the TL size so that it's closer in size to a 3 series or others in this class. I think if you are looking for 5 series cabin space, then you are probably looking at the wrong car. With the conflicting reports on interior size, I think it's best to head to the dealership to sit in one to find out.

Here is a quick summary by Jeff from TOV:

...the 4cyl is the best TLX for the driving enthusiast, followed by the SH-AWD (and that is made a no-brainer if you live in the rust belt). The V6 P-AWS is a fine car for the rest of the general motoring audience - great luxury, nice looks, fair price. It just doesn't hold up very well as a driver's car when compared to cars like the A4/328i/Q50/Lexus IS. The 3rd gen TL wasn't really that strong in that area, either, though, and it sold like hotcakes, thanks primarily to its styling and value proposition. For the "smart luxury" buyer who only cares about reliable, stylish, sporty-ish, luxurious transportation, I think the TLX V6 P-AWS an excellent choice.
and here's what he said regarding the 1G TSX, 2G TSX, and TLX 2.4:

1st gen TSX - brilliant chassis, boring engine
2nd gen TSX - extra weight, extra width, dulled responses, improved midrange torque, but flat power delivery up top.
TLX 8DCT - weight and size holds from 2nd gen TSX, but chassis brilliance returns, car FEELS much lighter, huge improvement in engine/trans responsiveness.
Here's how I see it based on the reviews I've seen so far:

TLX 2.4: It has that fun-to-drive factor that made the TSX so popular. It now comes with a much better engine and tranny combo. It's also sized like a 2G TSX so that interior room wouldn't be a huge issue

TLX 3.5 FWD: Sounds like an improved version of the 3GTL and it seems to be a sensible luxury sedan that would satisfy most people who want a V6 powered entry luxury sedan.

TLX 3.5 AWD: A very capable sports sedan that with high limits without being way too expensive.
The following users liked this post:
H_CAR (08-05-2014)
Old 08-05-2014, 02:27 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by iforyou
The TLX would probably be mediocre to you, if you also felt that the 1G TSX and 3G TL were mediocre.
at the time of 1G TSX and 3G TL .. 2004-2007?
they were brilliant cars...... 10 years ago!

If you ask me right now and comparing with what is out there right now. I think they are below mediocre, wouldn't you agree?

1G TSX and 3G TL 10 years ago = Brilliant cars
1G TSX and 3G TL now = outdated cars
2015 TLX (modernized combination of 1G TSX + 3G TL) =.... you tell me.
Old 08-05-2014, 03:09 PM
Azine Jabroni

at the time of 1G TSX and 3G TL .. 2004-2007?
they were brilliant cars...... 10 years ago!

If you ask me right now and comparing with what is out there right now. I think they are below mediocre, wouldn't you agree?

1G TSX and 3G TL 10 years ago = Brilliant cars
1G TSX and 3G TL now = outdated cars
2015 TLX (modernized combination of 1G TSX + 3G TL) =.... you tell me.
More positive reviews rolling in by the second. Not looking good for you.
Old 08-05-2014, 03:12 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,400 Likes on 704 Posts
Arrow Road & Track

So far this year, 7 out of every 10 cars Acura has sold were SUVs. Yet in 2 days of talks with executives, product planners, and engineers, there was not 1 single mention of the MDX or RDX. Meaning: the trucks might rake in the sales, but it's Acura's sedans that matter. And none more so than the TLX.

1. We're still waiting for the Legend ...

We're sick of saying it, but Acura's naming scheme is a poor attempt at copycatting the Germans. It took Mercedes some 90 years to come up with a marketing-run naming scheme-and by that time, it had cemented its reputation as 1 of the world's premier automobile builders. Acura is a made-up brand, created by a marketing department—and it started out with the best name in the business: Legend. The company's new names (ILX, TLX, RLX), like its last ones (CL, TL, RL) are a nonsensical, jumbled alphabet-soup mess to buyers.

Enough, already, Acura: just put a Legend badge on this car so customers know what it is.

2. The TLX is 2 cars in 1

The TLX replaces both the TL and TSX. The TLX rides on a wheelbase identical to the larger TL, but is almost exactly halfway between the 2 older cars in its external dimensions. Inside, however, it has slightly less EPA interior volume than either—and the backseat is TSX-sized, with decent legroom but restricted toe-room under the front seats. It feels roomy back there since the front seatbacks are very low. The rear seat is 60/40-split, but the pass-through is disappointingly small, and the trunk, which measures between 13.2 and 14.3 cu ft, isn't enormous.

3. New engines, new transmissions

The powertrains look carryover, but they're not. Both the 2.4-liter 4-cylinder (201 hp) and the 3.5-liter V6 (290 hp) get direct injection, and both transmissions are new. The V6 gets a ZF-sourced 9-speed automatic that we've seen elsewhere—and though it's better here than in other applications, it's still not great. It uses an electronic shifter we 1st saw in the RLX, and it takes an eternity to engage drive, its shifts are clunky, and it's painfully slow to react to manual commands. The 4-cylinder gets Honda's own 8-speed dual-clutch automatic, which ingeniously uses a torque converter that allows for perfectly smooth launches. The DCT's shifter is conventional, and once in gear, it shifts both immediately and imperceptibly. It's not particularly quick at responding to manual commands (from the steering-wheel paddles) or at executing sudden downshift requests, but its smoothness is 2nd to none. There is, sadly, no manual transmission option—for a clutch pedal, you'll need the smaller ILX.

4. Ignore the X, unless it also says SH-AWD

Despite the "X" in its name, which typically connotes AWD, the TLX is a front-wheel drive machine with either the I4 or the V6. Both FWD models come with P-AWS, Acura's electric rear steering that helps agility, handling, and stability under braking. There is an SH-AWD all-wheel-drive option on the V6, which uses a smaller and more efficient differential to provide up to 885 lb-ft of actual torque vectoring across the rear axle. SH-AWD is, as always, astonishingly good at putting power to the ground and assisting in corners, and remains one of the best AWD systems on the market.

5. Superb suspension

The TLX switches to a strut-type front suspension, and the only drawback we can see is a big turning radius (despite assistance from the rear wheels, the turning circle grows over both the TSX and larger TL, both of which used double-wishbone front suspension.) In all other regards, the TLX's suspension is a high-point: it rides extraordinarily well, with perfectly controlled body motions and isolated impacts, and it remains mercifully out of its bump-stops in all but the worst bumps. Even then, the impacts are well-damped.

Both front-wheel drive models fall into moderate to severe understeer at their cornering limits—which is sometimes mitigated by the rear-wheel steering, and sometimes not. It occasionally feels as though the rear steering is a step behind, leading to a spooky transition from understeer toward more neutral behavior. The SH-AWD system, however, will send the TLX beautifully neutral, and the stability control computer won't rain on the sideways parade unless things get severely out of hand.

6. Terrible tires

All 3 models of TLX we drove were equipped with Goodyear Eagle LS2 tires that we absolutely hated. (Rated 26th out of 29 tires in its class on Tire Rack's user surveys, it seems we aren't alone.) They generate far too little grip and go limp once they approaching their limits, and they squeal far too easily. This isn't a track car—its brakes will be smoking after a single stop from 100 mph—but Acura is portraying the TLX as a sporty car and it deserves better tires. On the other hand, perhaps the low-grip tires contribute to the excellent fuel economy—it posts gains of 4 mpg on the highway compared to the four-cylinder 2.4, and the V6 beats the old TL by 5 mpg.

7. Hush hush

The cabin of the TLX is amazingly quiet. Wind noise doesn't become noticeable until over 100 mph, and road noise is hushed. The TLX uses active noise cancellation as well as conventional tricks, including expanding-foam insulation in the body. The optional ELS sound system lacks punchy bass response, but sounds fantastic with excellent imaging and beautifully crisp treble.

8. Distracting touchscreen

Replacing the previous TL's sea of buttons is a touchscreen that works together with the Acura controller and a 2nd screen. The multiple interfaces render the entire infotainment system confusing, made worse by illogical menus, inscrutable controls, and redundant displays. We suspect you'll get used to it over time, but the system is overly distracting and just a pain to use.

9. The driver assistance systems need ... assistance

The TLX has optional driver assistance systems that don't seem ready for production. Each of our 3 test cars experienced multiple false alarms on its forward collision warning system, beeping and flashing "STOP" in front of the driver for no reason whatsoever. A rear cross-traffic alert system was similarly acting like Chicken Little as we pulled out of parking spots, warning of cars that were a hundred feet away and not heading anywhere near us. The active cruise control wasn't able to smoothly follow a car in front (it continually and alternately applies gas and brake, which is great if you'd like your passengers to throw up) and accelerated far too slowly to keep up with traffic.

10. Multiple personalities, 1 clear winner

In lieu of having 2 separate sedans, the 2.4-liter TLX and 3.5-liter TLX are tuned very differently, aimed at very different customers. The 4-cylinder is vocal, engaging, and eager. Its transmission's shifts are lightning-fast, and the car is light on its feet. The TLX V6's responses, by comparison, feel dulled—and it requires upwards of 4000 rpm for the engine to come alive. The transmission's shifts are slurred and slow, and the suspension tuning is far softer and less responsive. The car feels far heavier and less agile, and no more refined. Everyone who drove the 2 models preferred the 4-cylinder by a substantial margin-and wished that Acura would make an SH-AWD model with that powertrain.

11. The bottom line

The 2.4-liter TLX, especially, hits the perfect compromise between luxury-car refinement and sufficient driver engagement. Despite the rear-wheel steering, it's not a particularly sporty car, and it's no dynamic competitor to rear-drive BMWs, Lexuses, or Cadillacs. That said, it's a quieter, smoother cruiser than a 3 Series, and it rides far better.

Though definitely an improvement over the TSX and TL, the TLX's styling is less love-it-or-hate-it and more … adequate. The multiple-segment headlights are perhaps the most controversial element, now that the buck-toothed grille has been toned down, but the rest of the car comes across as rather bland.

As usual, Acura excels at making a very good car, but doesn't deliver a slam-dunk on the desirability scale. The TLX will no doubt make a great travel companion, and the decision to offer 2 dramatically different personalities with the 2 engines was a brilliant move. But the 1 thing this car needs more than anything else is some gotta-have-it factor. And a name badge that won't confuse its customers.

Quick Reply: Acura: TLX News