Acura: Sales, Marketing, and Financial News

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2016, 01:06 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 846 Likes on 526 Posts
Yea, I think the Accord coupe was Honda's solution for the Prelude. What's nice about it is that it has a dash to axle ratio that is similar to a conventional FR car, despite being FF with a transversely mounted engine. But it still had a long front overhang...haha
Old 02-18-2016, 06:59 AM
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by iforyou
Yea, I think the Accord coupe was Honda's solution for the Prelude. What's nice about it is that it has a dash to axle ratio that is similar to a conventional FR car, despite being FF with a transversely mounted engine. But it still had a long front overhang...haha

yeah I agree you are prob right.... Honda was competing with itself with so many cars in the same segment....

I don't think the accord replaced the prelude per se... they just phased it out.... they had accord coupes in the early 90's hatchback in the 80's the aerodeck.... etc

but then again the accord and prelude have been around for a while... preludes dated back to the 70's correct? or early 80's? and accords about the same...
Old 02-18-2016, 06:29 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

You are right that Honda Accord coupe has been around for quite awhile.

Yea, when the sales is down to below 1000 units, and the Accord coupe was there, I guess it makes business sense to kill it....it's too bad for the fans though.
Old 02-19-2016, 01:55 AM
YEH
Burning Brakes

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by TacoBello
C'mon, YEH- There's no room for logic in here!!
Ha, ha!

Doesn't take any more than a little logic applied to facts to blow huge holes thru the stuff that the resident troll tries to spew as gospel.

Now, this certainly doesn't mean that H/K haven't had have their missteps (such as their relatively late response to adding production of the crossovers they do have, much less expanding their CUV lineup) or that Honda doesn't do many things right.

But over the past few years, Honda (and the other Japanese automakers) has been aided by a very favorable exchange rate (not to mention govt. action - Bank of Japan adopted a negative interest rate) and a thriving US auto market.

H/K and Honda could sell exactly what the sold in 2015 for 2016 and H/K's profits would increase and Honda's decrease just due to the weakening Won and the strengthening Yen.

TOKYO (Bloomberg) -- Japanese automakers may have run out of the fuel that’s driven profits higher for four years: the weaker yen.
These estimates may still be too optimistic. Changes in foreign exchange rates reduced operating income at Nissan Motor Co., Honda Motor Co. and Mazda Motor Corp. in the three months through December and provided the smallest boost to Toyota’s quarterly profit in more than three years. With the yen soaring last week to the strongest level since October 2014, earnings may fall next fiscal year, according to analysts at TIW Inc. and Mitsubishi UFJ Morgan Stanley Securities Co.

“Japanese automakers won’t be able to achieve their growth targets if we take the current spot rate of the yen,” Koichi Sugimoto, a Tokyo-based analyst at Mitsubishi UFJ Morgan Stanley, said by phone. “Profit will decline against previous years,” dropping by more than 10 percent for some companies, he estimates.
Honda missed analysts’ estimates for net income, operating profit and revenue, and cut its fiscal year sales forecast by 50 billion yen. Honda Executive Vice President Tetsuo Iwamura declined to comment on “violent fluctuations” in the value of the yen during a Jan. 29 press conference.
http://www.autonews.com/article/2016...e-stronger-yen

And while the thriving US auto market has been a boon to Honda of recent, eventually, it will cool off and the auto markets in the BRIM countries will recover - and when that occurs, Honda's over dependence on the US market will become a negative.

Last edited by YEH; 02-19-2016 at 01:58 AM.
Old 02-20-2016, 12:28 PM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
And while the thriving US auto market has been a boon to Honda of recent, eventually, it will cool off and the auto markets in the BRIM countries will recover - and when that occurs, Honda's over dependence on the US market will become a negative
US market will cool off but it will not cool off for Honda. Rental companies are in loss compared to Uber. Uber will be in reliable Honda than anything else. as each day out of service is loss income.
Honda is growing faster than Hyundai in China. it takes a bit time for emerging market to wake up to reliable brand.
Old 02-20-2016, 12:49 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Quit spreading propaganda. People go to jail for that shit.
Old 02-23-2016, 10:21 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,276 Likes on 2,641 Posts

IIRC, when Honda phased out the Prelude they alluded to the Accord Coupe replacing it in the lineup, whereas they made some subtle sporty changes to the styling and such.
Old 02-23-2016, 12:04 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Yea, I read about that too. Though I can see the frustration of some people as the Accord coupe just isn't a nice looking or sport as the Prelude....
Old 02-23-2016, 09:34 PM
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts
Sigh. All this talk about the Prelude. I just said goodbye to mine this morning...
Attached Thumbnails Acura: Sales, Marketing, and Financial News-imag005563.jpg  
Old 02-24-2016, 11:38 AM
Racer

bleh... I prefer the BB4 92-96 prelude.... best of them all IMO.... dash looked like a cockpit.... instrumentation across the whole thing... .loved it... 92-96 had more character... the BB6 looked like Honda's version of a S14 from the back
Old 02-24-2016, 11:53 AM
Team Owner

to each their own... I loved the BB6 way more than the BB4. I hated that dash.
The following users liked this post:
Mugen.Justice (02-24-2016)
Old 02-25-2016, 07:32 AM
Racer

fair enough
Old 02-25-2016, 08:05 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,276 Likes on 2,641 Posts
Yea, I read about that too. Though I can see the frustration of some people as the Accord coupe just isn't a nice looking or sport as the Prelude....
+1, I had a 2G Prelude Si (1986 Red 5MT), first new car I bought getting out of college. Great car, not that powerful but light (~2200 lb) and nimble. Had a lot fun driving it, it was totally in a crash driving in the snow by a 1G Prelude (his fault). Fortunately no one was hurt.

Originally Posted by Mugen.Justice
Sigh. All this talk about the Prelude. I just said goodbye to mine this morning...
, know it's hard to keep all the cars we want but sometimes they gotta leave.

Originally Posted by richyrich1988
bleh... I prefer the BB4 92-96 prelude.... best of them all IMO.... dash looked like a cockpit.... instrumentation across the whole thing... .loved it... 92-96 had more character... the BB6 looked like Honda's version of a S14 from the back
I like 2G-5G generations except for the 1G which was kinda ugly and not that sporty.

If I had to pick a favorite, it had to be the 3G Si in Yellow.

I know someone who had the last three gens, all were kinda unique with their interiors. I liked them all, even the vacuum florescent temp and fuel gauges.

Originally Posted by richyrich1988
fair enough

Last edited by Legend2TL; 02-25-2016 at 08:07 AM.
Old 03-01-2016, 09:55 AM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
American Honda Sets New February Record; New Civic and Honda Division Lead with Second Consecutive Monthly Records - Sales - Honda News

American Honda Sets New February Record; New Civic and Honda Division Lead with Second Consecutive Monthly Records

Mar 1, 2016 - TORRANCE, Calif.
  • Honda Division sets new February benchmark on sales of 106,212 vehicles
  • All-new 2016 Honda Civic sets a new monthly record for the second month in a row with sales up 31.7 percent; with all-new Civic Coupe set to go on sale mid-March
  • Acura ILX, the brand's entry point and most youthful model, was up 56.4 percent

American Honda Motor Co., Inc. today reported record February sales of 118,985 Honda and Acura vehicles, an increase of 12.8 percent. Honda Division set a new February record with 106,212 units sold, up 14.9 percent; Honda car sales reached 57,267 while record February truck sales totaled 48,945 for the month. Acura sales totaled 12,773 with sedan sales of 4,683 and trucks reaching 8,090 units in February.

Honda

Fresh off of a record January and led by record sales of the all-new 2016 Civic Sedan and the CR-V along with a strong performance by the Accord, the Honda brand set a new February sales mark.
  • Civic, relying only on sales of the Sedan, was the brand's best-selling model for the month, setting a new February record, with sales up 31.7 percent to 27,707 units; the All-new Civic Coupe will accelerate that momentum when it goes on sale in mid-March.
  • Also bucking the light truck trend, Accord was up 19.3 percent on sales of 25,785 units.
  • CR-V, America's best-selling SUV, was up 13.2 percent on record February sales of 25,250 vehicles.
  • Odyssey had a double digit gain, up 11.4 percent with 8,994 units sold for the month.
  • In high demand but short supply, Pilot sold 9,572 units, a strong month, but a 24.2 percent decrease compared to February 2015, when high inventories and aggressive sell-down efforts of the prior generation model led to near-record sales.

"Led by the all-new Civic, Honda cars are defying industry trends, even as our light truck models are red hot this winter," said Jeff Conrad, senior vice president and general manager of the Honda Division. "With more versions of the Civic yet to go on sale and an all-new Ridgeline on the way, Honda is primed for an incredibly strong start to the year."

Acura

While overall sales were down slightly for February, strong sales of the ILX, the brand's gateway model; the launch of the Acura NSX online vehicle configurator in late February and a refreshed MDX set to debut at the New York Auto Show this month portend a strong year as the Acura brand approaches its 30th anniversary in late March.
  • ILX followed up on a strong January result, rising an impressive 56.4 percent on sales of 1,500 units in February.
  • MDX, challenged by low inventory levels, was the brand's best-selling model for the month with sales of 4,292 units in February, down 5.7 percent.

"As we approach the 30th anniversary of the Acura brand in March and the launch of the NSX this spring, it's encouraging to see the same kind of excitement associated with the early days of the brand," said Jon Ikeda, vice president and general manager of the Acura division. "With a strong gateway model attracting new customers to the brand in the ILX, and an updated MDX about to debut at the New York auto show, it's not simply cliché to say that the best is yet to come."
Old 03-03-2016, 04:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Meanwhile RLX......................................
Old 03-03-2016, 07:46 PM
_

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Meanwhile RLX......................................
But it did better than the Ridgeline.
Old 03-04-2016, 01:19 AM
Safety Car

hyundai BRIC strategy falling apart.

Hyundai Motor's Feb. sales in China plunge nearly 30 pct | GlobalPost
Hyundai Motor's Feb. sales in China plunge nearly 30 pct
Old 03-04-2016, 01:35 AM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,155 Likes on 826 Posts
^^^^^

What the heck does "HYUNDAI strategy" have anything to do in this "ACURA-sales-marketing-financial-news" thread ?????
Old 03-05-2016, 08:46 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
RLX needs to be completely scrapped and Honda/Acura need to go back to the drawing board. An RLX that is just a gussied up Accord will always fail in this category. The TLX is more competitive now because it's a pretty good looking car. Refining the transmission in the TLX will make it even more competitive.
Old 03-05-2016, 12:04 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
^^^^^

What the heck does "HYUNDAI strategy" have anything to do in this "ACURA-sales-marketing-financial-news" thread ?????
it keeps away Yeh.
Old 03-08-2016, 12:40 AM
YEH
Burning Brakes

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts
hyundai BRIC strategy falling apart.
There's something called looking at the big picture and, of course, you wouldn't pick up on that.

Things go in cycles - the EU auto market was in doldrums, but is now seeing some good growth; the US auto market is probably nearing its peak and will see a step-back down the road; eventually oil prices will go back up and the Russian auto market recover as will the economies in China and Brazil.

And while the auto market has shrunk in Russia, H/K, while seeing lower sales, have been gaining market-share.

India is a market where H has a strong presence (#2) and continues to see growth.

And growth in other markets make up for areas w/ struggling economies.

For instance, Kia, in Feb., saw growth of 12.2%, 11% and 10.5% in NA, Europe and Korea respectively, while China and its General Markets regions saw declines.

Can easily pick and choose when it comes to Honda as well.

Honda saw a 19% decline in sales in Japan for Jan. (2nd straight month of declining sales) and Feb. probably saw a decline as well.

For the US market, Acura saw a decline for the past 2 months.

Every Acura model aside from the ILX has seen a decline YTD.

The still pretty new TLX is already seeing a decline and the RLX is down to a paltry 100 a month in sales.

With the ILX the only model seeing growth, Acura continues to lose buyers at the mid-tier segments (doesn't really have anything at the top tier) as Acura buyers continue to move downscale.

(See? Others can do that as well.)

Last edited by YEH; 03-08-2016 at 12:46 AM.
Old 03-09-2016, 11:32 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by YEH
There's something called looking at the big picture and, of course, you wouldn't pick up on that.

Things go in cycles - the EU auto market was in doldrums, but is now seeing some good growth; the US auto market is probably nearing its peak and will see a step-back down the road; eventually oil prices will go back up and the Russian auto market recover as will the economies in China and Brazil.

And while the auto market has shrunk in Russia, H/K, while seeing lower sales, have been gaining market-share.

India is a market where H has a strong presence (#2) and continues to see growth.

And growth in other markets make up for areas w/ struggling economies.

For instance, Kia, in Feb., saw growth of 12.2%, 11% and 10.5% in NA, Europe and Korea respectively, while China and its General Markets regions saw declines.

Can easily pick and choose when it comes to Honda as well.

Honda saw a 19% decline in sales in Japan for Jan. (2nd straight month of declining sales) and Feb. probably saw a decline as well.

For the US market, Acura saw a decline for the past 2 months.

Every Acura model aside from the ILX has seen a decline YTD.

The still pretty new TLX is already seeing a decline and the RLX is down to a paltry 100 a month in sales.

With the ILX the only model seeing growth, Acura continues to lose buyers at the mid-tier segments (doesn't really have anything at the top tier) as Acura buyers continue to move downscale.

(See? Others can do that as well.)
i always look at big picture. commodity expoters wont recover for several years. and H/K group with that new Genesis brand will lose alot of money. there is overproduction capacity in China.
H/K group has no pickup truck for North American market.

Honda fit is going to export from Japan. this will create more capacity in Mexico plant for honda HRV.
Honda wisely delayed its hybrid offerings due to low oil prices. while H/K group is mindlessly following Toyota Prius with latest POS.
Old 03-29-2016, 07:08 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,400 Likes on 704 Posts
Cool AutoNews

While nearly the entire industry is in a light-truck tizzy, fortifying crossover, SUV and pickup lines and squeezing every last drop out of their production capacity, Acura is swimming upstream.

Its MDX and RDX crossovers sell great, thank you very much, accounting for 62% of the brand's 177,165 sales in 2015. It's the cars that Acura wants to work on, as well as a rebranding effort built around accentuating its performance heritage. The effort is spearheaded by the brand's new general manager, Jon Ikeda, and his boss, John Mendel, executive vice president of American Honda Motor Co.

And it all sits well with David Fabre, chairman of Acura's National Dealer Advisory Board and co-owner of Louisiana-based Fabre Group, which has an Acura store.

Watching Honda's success in motorsports has Fabre confident the automaker can deliver on its performance-oriented promise.

"I know it hasn't been visible on the showroom floor, but it's coming," Fabre said. "The NSX is just a start. We're going to performance. In 4 years you're going to want an Acura franchise for sure."

Fabre: The NSX "is just a start."

Fabre also likes the idea of remodeling Acura's sedan lineup, which lacks a compelling flagship that can stand up to the Mercedes S class or Audi A8.

"Our SUVs are great; we need to make our sedans the best that they can be," Fabre said. "At the moment we need the best TLX possible and we need a flagship we can get behind."

Fabre is also looking forward to the inevitable addition of turbocharged engines to Acura's lineup, citing Infiniti's plan as an example. (Fabre Group also owns a pair of Infiniti stores in Louisiana.) Nissan's luxury arm will soon offer a turbocharged 4-cylinder when the QX30 crossover goes on sale this summer. And a twin-turbocharged V-6 is bolted under the hood of Infiniti's upcoming Q60 coupe.

"Everybody is going to have to go to turbos," Fabre said. "That's what we ought to do and that's the direction we're headed."

Granted, Fabre says, in a perfect world, the Acura brand would have 2 additional crossovers: something small and entry-level (which is possible if Acura did something based on Honda's HR-V) and something larger than the MDX.

"A lot of dealers would like a larger SUV and a smaller 1," Fabre said. "But as dealers you always want everything."
Old 03-29-2016, 08:16 AM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,159 Likes on 1,387 Posts
The RLX redesign is key. If they screw it up, they have the ship going in the wrong direction.

But even then, Acura still needs some performance models.
Old 03-29-2016, 12:13 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
They have ruined the RLX's name plate already.

Perception in that segment is as important as the product itself.
Old 03-29-2016, 03:05 PM
Azine Jabroni

Originally Posted by oonowindoo

Fair enough. Basically, what I mean is the RLX level replacement is key.
Old 03-29-2016, 05:19 PM
Team Owner

How do you ruin a name plate for a car 99% of the population knows nothing about?
Old 03-29-2016, 07:42 PM
Team Owner

How do you ruin a name plate for a car 99% of the population knows nothing about?
How? Ask Honda.

Follow what they did with the RLX like a SOP and that is how you ruin it.

Now i am actually glad they did not call it a Legend.
The following 2 users liked this post by oonowindoo:
00TL-P3.2 (03-30-2016), fsttyms1 (03-31-2016)
Old 03-30-2016, 10:36 AM
Safety Car

perfect world is about SUV. if they can manage a $100k SUV. Global sales will sky rocket.
Granted, Fabre says, in a perfect world, the Acura brand would have 2 additional crossovers: something small and entry-level (which is possible if Acura did something based on Honda's HR-V) and something larger than the MDX.
Old 03-30-2016, 11:56 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by SSFTSX
perfect world is about SUV. if they can manage a $100k SUV. Global sales will sky rocket.
and it will fall on Acura's and your face.
Old 03-30-2016, 03:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,193 Posts

Yup. I think the name should be tossed out in favor of "Legend". I know Acura won't do it, but they should.

Random people approach me whie I'm out in the Legend (for I've rebadged my RLX long ago ) when Acura started making Legends again. The name is a legend, bring it back.
Old 03-31-2016, 01:07 AM
Safety Car

and it will fall on Acura's and your face.
SUV is instant success.
Old 03-31-2016, 08:37 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by neuronbob
Yup. I think the name should be tossed out in favor of "Legend". I know Acura won't do it, but they should.

Random people approach me whie I'm out in the Legend (for I've rebadged my RLX long ago ) when Acura started making Legends again. The name is a legend, bring it back.
I agree.. BUT.... ONLY if they can get the cars design nailed to a T. Not something halfway there to being great.
Old 03-31-2016, 08:38 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by SSFTSX
It would sell less than the RLX. It would be a Global disaster.
The following users liked this post:
TacoBello (03-31-2016)
Old 03-31-2016, 01:32 PM
Team Owner

Not if it has best in class aerodynamic.
Old 03-31-2016, 04:36 PM
Midnight Marauder

Received 56 Likes on 42 Posts
Not if it has best in class aerodynamic.
And don't forget about the best in class ground clearance.
Old 03-31-2016, 08:12 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,155 Likes on 826 Posts
Originally Posted by jwong77
And don't forget about the best in class ground clearance.

And also most importantly, aftermarket performance tires !
Old 04-01-2016, 12:31 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS

And also most importantly, aftermarket performance tires !
not as important as the "light weight" chrome/polished Honda accessory wheels with upgraded tires.

and that is not as important as Honda's superior bhp. (Honda's bhp actually means whp)
Old 04-01-2016, 08:11 PM
_

American Honda Reports March Auto Sales Increase: Trucks Set New March Record While Sedans Post Major Gains - Sales - Honda News

American Honda Reports March Auto Sales Increase: Trucks Set New March Record While Sedans Post Major Gains

Apr 1, 2016 - TORRANCE, Calif.
  • Trucks and sedans push American Honda to robust March sales of 138,221 units, a gain of 9.4 percent for the month
  • American Honda trucks set new sales record, climbing 5.7 percent on sales of 64,453
  • New Honda Civic sets new March sales record, jumping 21.8 percent while Accord gains 17.3 percent
  • RDX leads Acura trucks, setting new March record with 34 percent gain
  • Acura TLX performance sedan climbs 9.9 percent in March

American Honda Motor Co., Inc. today reported March sales of 138,221 Honda and Acura vehicles, an increase of 9.4 percent for the month. AHM trucks set a new March benchmark, gaining 5.7 percent on sales of 64,453 units. Honda Division sales were up 10.5 percent with 123,369 units sold in March; Honda car sales reached 68,314, up 13.7 percent, while truck sales totaled 55,055, a 6.9 percent gain for the month. Acura sales totaled 14,852 in March, gaining 1.2 percent. Acura sedans were up 4.8 percent on sales of 5,454 while Acura trucks reached 9,398 sales for the month.

Honda

Continuing to buck U.S. sales trends with its core sedans—Civic and Accord—Honda sales easily moved past the previous March total with a record setting performance from Civic, backed by strong performances from Accord and HR-V. Core truck models CR-V, Pilot and Odyssey, maintained strong demand.
  • With sales records set in each of the past three months, the Civic Sedan is dominating the compact car segment with essentially one body style as production of the newly on-sale Civic Coupe ramps up. Civic sales jumped 21.8 percent to a new March record of 32,855.
  • Accord continued to demonstrate incredible market strength with an increase of 17.3 percent in March, with 30,523 units sold—focused on sales to individual customers.
  • With production at the Celaya plant in Mexico focused primarily on HR-V, sales of the Honda gateway truck model topped 6,300 units in March.

"The power of Honda's well-balanced portfolio was on full display in March," said Jeff Conrad, senior vice president and general manager of the Honda Division. "Importantly, we will continue to strengthen both our car and truck lineups throughout the year, with new core and niche products to further extend the brand's appeal."

Acura

Acura enjoyed a balanced sales month, with the refreshed RDX SUV posting a remarkable 34 percent gain so set a new March record to lead the brand's sales gains, while Acura performance sedans maintained strong sales despite a luxury sedan market where competitors are relying heavily upon fleet sales and incentives.
  • RDX showed renewed sales strength in March, leading Acura truck sales with a 34 percent gain on sales of 5,310 units.
  • TLX continued to hold a strong sales position near the top of the mid-luxury sedan segment with 3,768 units sold in March, rising 9.9 percent despite aggressive competitor sales tactics.

"Acura posted a solid month even as we gained fresh momentum from the New York Auto Show debuts of the 2017 MDX and NSX GT3 racecar," said Jon Ikeda, vice president and general manager of the Acura division. "Our entire Acura team is excited by the market reaction to our new design direction and the preparation for delivery of the first all-new NSX."
Old 04-01-2016, 08:24 PM
Azine Jabroni

The TLX continues to be a strong offering, which is great for Acura. Now to fix the big holes in their lineup.

Quick Reply: Acura: Sales, Marketing, and Financial News