Acura: Sales, Marketing, and Financial News

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 07:47 PM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 657 Likes on 402 Posts
Honda just needs to find a good name for its hybrid system. Like "Super-Excellent Hybrid Drive System" - SE-HDS. Then market the hell out of it.
Old 06-28-2006, 08:07 PM
Team Owner

Received 582 Likes on 346 Posts
Originally Posted by Belzebutt
Honda just needs to find a good name for its hybrid system. Like "Super-Excellent Hybrid Drive System" - SE-HDS. Then market the hell out of it.
Merc has the Smart Car, why can't honda have the Green Car....

GreenMonster would be all over that
Old 06-29-2006, 06:28 AM
Race Director

Received 627 Likes on 505 Posts
I guess Honda hasn't worked hard enough on the green image thing - it's losing that title to Toyota.

I wonder where BMW would be on that chart and where Chrysler would be if they exlcuded MB.

Last edited by biker; 06-29-2006 at 06:30 AM.
Old 06-29-2006, 08:06 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by F23A4
I wonder if Nissan will surpass Ford in the 'Green Image' category once the Altima Hyrid hits the scene. That said, I definitely would not have considered Nissan in the top 5 of that category. That said, I guess image is subjective.
We're talking about new Nissans, not used ghetto-market Nissans that have lost all their resale value.
Old 06-29-2006, 09:09 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by biker
I guess Honda hasn't worked hard enough on the green image thing - it's losing that title to Toyota.

I wonder where BMW would be on that chart and where Chrysler would be if they exlcuded MB.
I would be highly amused if BMW and MB ended up below Honda and Toyota, lending credence to the idea that BMW and MB owners can't really afford their cars.
Old 06-29-2006, 09:48 PM
Banned

I can think of several GM, Honda, and Toyota owners who are old and financially independently wealthy [conservative]. A lot of Buicks, Accords, and Camrys are driven by those who could afford "better."
Old 06-29-2006, 10:22 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by M TYPE X
I can think of several GM, Honda, and Toyota owners who are old and financially independently wealthy [conservative]. A lot of Buicks, Accords, and Camrys are driven by those who could afford "better."
they can be old and billionaires and retired, but their income can still be very low for tax reasons.
Old 06-29-2006, 11:44 PM
Smitty's Moral Police

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by F23A4
That said, I definitely would not have considered Nissan in the top 5 of that category.
Considering the competition, I'm surprised they didn't beat Ford. Must be the Toyota technology in the Escape Hybrid that edged Ford up..
Old 07-01-2006, 08:56 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by biker

well it would help if honda actually developed some actual green tech and not be the highest emissions leader for engine makers (their lawnmowers engines just kills the corporate emissions chart)

catching up to toyota in hybrids would help as well.
Old 07-03-2006, 06:11 PM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 657 Likes on 402 Posts
Originally Posted by gilboman
well it would help if honda actually developed some actual green tech and not be the highest emissions leader for engine makers (their lawnmowers engines just kills the corporate emissions chart)
That's because lawnmowers in general are very high polluting. Honda lawnmowers in particular are some of the cleanest you can get.
Old 07-03-2006, 06:50 PM
Smitty's Moral Police

The choice is to make their product so clean as to be too expensive for the market and fail, or to put out a product that while not the cleanest is better than the rest and thrive. Hmm...go figure. My honda lawnmower is RWD, it kicks ass.
Old 09-27-2006, 11:45 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Received 1,117 Likes on 801 Posts
Acura officially opens business in China today. Even their website has been updated, thankfully.

http://www.acura.com.cn/

RL will be sold for 680000元 (US$86,047)
TL will be sold for 430000元 (US$54,412)

Dealerships in Beijing, Nanjing, and Shenzhen. No Shanghai?
Old 09-27-2006, 11:57 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Coming soon....Chinese mfg. TL, TSX, RL, MDX, RDX knock-offs
Old 09-27-2006, 02:48 PM
on to the next one...

Originally Posted by F-C
RL will be sold for 680000元 (US$86,047)
TL will be sold for 430000元 (US$54,412)
Those destination charges are a bitch
This will be about the only thing that isn't cheaper in China...
Old 09-27-2006, 04:43 PM
TMQ
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Import tax
used to be 100%..
Old 09-29-2006, 08:20 AM
Race Director

How about Acura in the Philippines? My filipino friend keeps telling me that he wants to see that brand in his homeland sometime.
Old 09-29-2006, 09:05 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts
The corruption in China is what bothers me ... how can someone afford a US$54000 item when the average citizen earns like US$500 / year? It's like people buying a $2,000,000 car when the average person makes $20000/yr ... wait a sec ... that happens in the US all the time...

And Chinese people don't mind buying Japanese cars ... look in Chinatown -- how many Toyotas and Hondas there are. Chinese may dislike Japanese for what they have done in the past, but when it comes to money ... they are value & quality conscious like everyone else.
Old 10-11-2006, 12:37 PM
Suzuka Master

"Acura and XM Are First to Offer Complimentary Satellite Radio Program for CPO"

Acura and XM Are First to Offer Complimentary Satellite Radio Program for Certified Pre-Owned Vehicles
Acura Certified Pre-Owned Car Buyers Get 3 Months Complimentary XM Service

WASHINGTON, Oct. 11 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- XM Satellite Radio (NASDAQ: XMSR), the nation's leading satellite radio service with more than 7 million subscribers, and Acura today announced the first complimentary satellite radio service program for Certified Pre-Owned (CPO) vehicles. Beginning this fall, Acura will offer three months of complimentary XM service on CPO Acura models with factory-installed XM Satellite Radio, including: RL, TL, TSX and MDX. Acura currently inspects, certifies and remarkets more than 35,000 previously-owned vehicles per year, with approximately one-third featuring standard XM Satellite Radio, a rate that will grow over time as XM continues to be offered as standard equipment across Acura models.

"Acura's CPO program will introduce XM Satellite Radio to a new and growing category of customers," said Steve Cook, executive vice president, Automotive, XM Satellite Radio. "XM's reach will now extend to Acura's pre- owned customers who seek the same high performance standards and quality as they have come to expect with a brand new Acura."

"Whether they choose to invest in a new or Acura Certified Pre-Owned vehicle, our customers get an ownership experience that is second to none," said Dan Crowe, Automobile Remarketing Manager for Acura. "With the expansion of XM Satellite Radio to our entire 2007 new model line, it's only fitting that we also offer the nation's leading satellite radio service to our Certified Pre-Owned customers."

Every CPO Acura originally equipped with XM Satellite Radio will be available with three months of complimentary XM service and a waived activation fee. All Acura CPO Vehicles also come standard with a Certified Limited Warranty (12 months/12,000 miles) and a 7-year/100,000 mile Powertrain Limited Warranty.

About XM Satellite Radio

XM (NASDAQ: XMSR) is America's number one satellite radio company with more than seven million subscribers. Broadcasting live daily from studios in Washington, DC, New York City, the Country Music Hall of Fame in Nashville, Toronto and Montreal, XM's 2006 lineup includes more than 170 digital channels of choice from coast to coast: the most commercial-free music, premier sports, news, talk radio, comedy, children's and entertainment programming; and the most advanced traffic and weather information.

XM, the leader in satellite-delivered entertainment and data services for the automobile market through partnerships with General Motors, Honda, Hyundai, Nissan, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki and Toyota, is available in more than 140 different vehicle models for 2006. XM's industry-leading products are available at consumer electronics retailers nationwide. For more information about XM hardware, programming and partnerships, please visit http://www.xmradio.com/.

Factors that could cause actual results to differ materially from those in the forward-looking statements in this press release include demand for XM Satellite Radio's service, the Company's dependence on technology and third party vendors, its potential need for additional financing, as well as other risks described in XM Satellite Radio Holdings Inc.'s Form 10-K filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission on 3-3-06. Copies of the filing are available upon request from XM Radio's Investor Relations Department.

SOURCE: XM Satellite Radio

http://xmradio.mediaroom.com/index.p...ases&item=1366
Old 10-11-2006, 12:55 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Good for XM.
A nice perk for Acura.
Old 10-11-2006, 08:10 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
Free 3 month service?

So thats like a savings of $38.85 for the service and $9.99 for activation fee.

Baller.
Old 10-12-2006, 10:22 AM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
XM is hurting so bad that they are giving away as many units and free months. My friend tried to cancel for Howard last year and they offered him 6 free months, a new unit and free Opi and Anthony. He said not thanks.
Old 10-12-2006, 02:08 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
I hope XM sticks around ... I guess I may need to put my $$ where my mouth is to keep it around ... The problem is that I want XM AND SIRIUS for NFL and MLB ... I couldn't care less about Howard Stern or Opie and Anthony.
Old 10-14-2006, 12:59 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Well I like Opie and Anthony, but the Sirius all-in-one headunit in my '97 is far superior to the XM headunits in both appearance and function. So when I feel like O&A I take the '05 TL to work
Old 01-10-2007, 10:37 AM
re-searching

Unhappy OT: Acura.ca web site broken?

Hi, this is off-topic a bit but I'm not sure where else to post.

I've tried to access the Acura.ca web site today with both Firefox (2.0.0.1) and Internet Explorer 7 - with Flash Player 9 installed.

The Flash site loads and displays the "main page" ("Acura Advance"; black background and various text that one would think was clickable) but I cannot get anything on that page to respond to a mouse click - with the exception that if you move your mouse to the right of the "all models" text a picture of all the car models appears.

Could I trouble someone to check this out too? I don't have another computer to check it out from...

Cheers!
Old 04-08-2007, 06:28 PM
Race Director

2008 Acura Preview

News about Acura in 2008

http://www.vtec.net/news/news-item?news_item_id=667098

2008 Acura Preview

Date: April 08, 2007 08:00
Submitted by: Jeff
Source: TOV News
Credibility Rating: Not Specified

In what's become a bit of an annual TOV tradition, our "Spring Cleaning" news feature is intended to provide a quick summary of what Honda and Acura have in store for your favorite products. This year we decided to split the feature in two pieces, serving up the Acura info first. Watch for the Honda update in the next few days. The report this year is a little bit earlier than past spring previews, so we will continue to provide updates when we learn more.

Acura
After emptying its chamber in 2006 with the RDX and MDX launches, Acura has left the cupboards essentially bare for 2007. Basically the only news here is that the 2007 model year will reportedly be cut short for one or more of the nameplates.

TSX We've heard from several sources that the buildout for the '07 TSX is already taking place. That means that '08 models will be appearing in showrooms in the early to mid-summer timeframe. There had been some speculation that given Acura's otherwise empty launch schedule for 2007, the FMC (full model change) for the TSX would possibly take place in the fall of 2007 for the 2008 model year. Current reports indicate that Acura will instead launch the next generation TSX as a 2009 model sometime in the early portion of 2008. We're hoping that means around March or April, as the current TSX launched in a similar timeframe in 2003. As for the product itself, there have been several different rumors floating about but AWD seems to be a common thread in most of the rumors. At this point it's not clear whether AWD will be standard or not, but if it's not you can safely bet that the base models will be front-wheel-drive. There have also been a few rumors of turbocharged motors finding their way underhood of the TSX, but we have heard no firm confirmations of these, and for what it's worth, at one point a half year ago or so some folks were telling us that the TSX would definitely NOT be getting a turbo motor. The current TSX is a fantastic car, but it's a bit of a shame that Acura never fully realized the car's magnificent potential with a potent ~250hp motor and limited-slip diff.

What it needs: A more thrilling motor that can match its excellent chassis, and a limited slip diff to go along with it.
What it DOESN'T need: We fear that an AWD system will bring too much weight and drag, dulling the TSX's edge

RDX We don't expect to see many changes to the RDX for 2008. This is another model that will supposedly see an early '07 buildout. The RDX has missed sales targets by a fair margin, so it will be interesting to see if an MMC (minor model change) occurs earlier than typical, in MY'09.

What it needs: A more responsive transmission and a diet. A big reduction in understeer/more proactive SH-AWD system. A 6MT would be nice too.
What it DOESN'T need: Turbo lag, high sticker price, two ton curb weight

TL The third generation TL launched very successfully in 2003 and recently benefited from its MMC for model year '07. Unfortunately, the expected uptick in sales hasn't quite materialized yet, even with the addition of the potent Type-S model. Competition has intensified greatly for the TL, so the parameters for the FMC (due next fall for model year 2009) are critical. The expectation is that the next-gen TL will join the remainder of Acura's lineup in carrying the SH-AWD torch. We're also expecting to see Advanced VTEC applied to its V6 motor for '09, and outputs nudging north of 300hp.
What it needs: Unique underpinnings from the Accord. Real sporting credentials (a proper FR-based chassis). A 6-speed automatic. A pure focus on driving.
What it DOESN'T need: More weight. We can tolerate SH-AWD, but only if it's offered in addition to FR and coupled to a responsive transmission

MDX It's only been on the road for around 6 months, and sales have been pretty steady. Don't expect anything but minor trim tweaks and perhaps some swatch shuffling until the MMC. Perhaps we'll see the auto-dimming rear view mirror that Acura somehow forgot on the '07 models. We love the MDX's 300hp 3.7L V6, but it would feel even better if it were hooked up to a more responsive transmission with tighter gearing. A 6-speed automatic should do the trick, and we're hoping that Acura engineers are hard at work on that right now.
What it needs: A more responsive transmission with tighter gearing would make the most of the MDX's potent V6. A V8 would help its pedigree.
What it doesn't need: To lose sight of the competition.

RL The poor RL continues to get battered in showrooms. As we discussed a little over a year ago, the product planners at Acura don't seem to have a lot to work with for the RL's MMC, so we're left wondering if it makes any sense to even do an MMC for the RL. From a strictly US perspective, the best strategy may be to just cut bait on it after a four or five model year run and perhaps reintroduce the Legend nameplate on an FR platform that could be shared with the TL (or whatever they might want to call a slightly smaller, sportier sedan variant). While it sounds like a good plan for the North American market, the problem with this strategy is that the RL was introduced in Europe fairly recently, as the Honda Legend. So that means the Legend name probably wouldn't fly on a completely different Acura vehicle, nor would Honda likely be super keen on replacing the European Legend so soon after its introduction. Now if there is in fact an MMC, Acura needs to cook up a real humdinger of a drivetrain with a 300+hp V6 that feels like 300hp and a transmission that makes the most of it. With its 6-cylinder competition now offering 0-60 times in the low 5s range, it needs to be a pretty special drivetrain.
What it needs: A clean sheet redesign that takes the market into account (Hint: FR configuration, engine options). A big boost in performance will help in the mean time, starting with a better matched transmission.
What it DOESN'T need: Let's just move on...

NSX About the only thing we know for sure is that we won't be seeing an NSX successor in MY'08. Of course, we got to see the Advanced Sports Car Concept at this year's Detroit Auto Show, and there's supposed to be another concept shown in Tokyo this Fall, but if we're to believe some reports that are floating around, Acura's backpedaling a bit on where the NSX is headed. Some stories suggested that Acura had already scrapped the ASCC design. If true, a 2010 debut may be too optimistic, but we're willing to wait another year or two for the right car. We've made no secret that we're not big on the Front-engined, all-wheel-drive layout that Acura's been talking about - we feel that anything tied to the NSX's heritage must have the motor mounted midship. And we realize some people are big fans of AWD, but we'd rather keep things simple (and lighter!) and have our next-gen NSX rear-wheel drive. An SH-AWD version is fine as long as it's offered in addition to the mid-engined, rear-drive "base" NSX.
What it needs: Mid-engine, rear drive base configuration, and keep weight targets as low as feasible. SH-AWD should be optional.
What it DOESN'T need: To become a GT-R.
Old 04-08-2007, 07:04 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Very good article... though IMO a great solution would be to offer the TSX with a smaller V6, possibly a whole new engine series with A-VTEC or whatever is coming out, or bump up displacement on the K-series 4-cylinder, or even borrow the RDX's K23A1. Even better would be to give the TSX a FR platform and LSD, and offer a coupe version, possibly resurrecting either the RSX or CL. Highly unlikely as long as it shares its lineage with the Euro Accord though. And we definitely don't want to see SH-AWD in the TSX, it would bring about imbalance to the lineup.

Turn the TL into a FR platform with optional SH-AWD, and/or give the RL a V8 with SH-AWD standard. They have to distance the RL from the TL a bit more, but not to the point where people will start saying "Hey, I can get a Lexus for this price/even cheaper...."

I don't see them converting more than 1 model into an FR platform, if any at all. The question now is, which model will it be? And please don't let it be the NSX, keep it MR.
Old 04-08-2007, 09:03 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by I Go To Costco

I don't see them converting more than 1 model into an FR platform, if any at all. The question now is, which model will it be? And please don't let it be the NSX, keep it MR.
knowing Honda, they would HAVE to produce at least 2 models on a new FR platform to even consider engineering it...which is probably why they are probably won't have an FR platform anytime soon...they are too hard-on on building most of their models on FWD platforms.
Old 04-08-2007, 10:45 PM
I love cars!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
What did I miss. What is this "FR" platform?
Old 04-09-2007, 12:37 AM
Aint Doing Sh*t

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I think the RL would greatly benefit from an optional V8. My
Old 04-09-2007, 12:45 AM
Chloe @ 17mo

Originally Posted by fast-tl
What did I miss. What is this "FR" platform?
FR = Front engine Rear wheel drive
Old 04-09-2007, 08:11 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by AsianRage
FR = Front engine Rear wheel drive
Yep... that's what it is...

I don't know why H/A hasn't figured out most of it's troubles on it's own

Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure most of the issues out, and the guys from vtec.net pretty much summed it up....

Example: Acura redesigns the RL as a FF based AWD platform to compete with cars that are FR based and yet they don't understand why the RL isn't selling well against that kind of competetion

But when they wanted to get into the roadster segment again and try to compete with the miata, they went with a FR platform on the S2000, but haven't done FMC (full model change) on it yet.... They started off right on the s2K launch, but like the NSX, let it get a little long in the tooth...

I'm not sure if H/A's main problem is due to something being lost in translation between Honda Corporate and HOA (Honda of America), or if they are just sticking to their historical conservative ways....

While Honda's engineering has always been top notch, I've often thought that the planning, marketing, and product development departments just weren't as good as the competition (i.e. look at what nissan/infiniti has been doing lately).
Old 04-09-2007, 10:12 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by I Go To Costco
Very good article... though IMO a great solution would be to offer the TSX with a smaller V6, possibly a whole new engine series with A-VTEC or whatever is coming out, or bump up displacement on the K-series 4-cylinder, or even borrow the RDX's K23A1. Even better would be to give the TSX a FR platform and LSD, and offer a coupe version, possibly resurrecting either the RSX or CL.
I can't see the TSX getting a V6 or FR platform... both would steal sales away from the TL (even if the TL also had a FR platform)...

Acura also isn't going to change their whole lineup to RWD either... They don't care if the a percentage of the car buying public wants rwd, they are going to give everyone SH-AWD, weither or not you like it.

Since the TL and TSX are such good sellers the way they are, I don't think we'll see any big changes to the current formula except maybe a turbo 4 for the TSX and SH-AWD for the TL (with the tsx getting it after the TL).

It'll be interestign to see what happens to the TSX and TL with their upcoming FMC's (full model changes)...
Old 04-09-2007, 10:49 AM
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by GreenMonster
Yep... that's what it is...

I don't know why H/A hasn't figured out most of it's troubles on it's own

Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure most of the issues out, and the guys from vtec.net pretty much summed it up....

Example: Acura redesigns the RL as a FF based AWD platform to compete with cars that are FR based and yet they don't understand why the RL isn't selling well against that kind of competetion

But when they wanted to get into the roadster segment again and try to compete with the miata, they went with a FR platform on the S2000, but haven't done FMC (full model change) on it yet.... They started off right on the s2K launch, but like the NSX, let it get a little long in the tooth...

I'm not sure if H/A's main problem is due to something being lost in translation between Honda Corporate and HOA (Honda of America), or if they are just sticking to their historical conservative ways....

While Honda's engineering has always been top notch, I've often thought that the planning, marketing, and product development departments just weren't as good as the competition (i.e. look at what nissan/infiniti has been doing lately).
I agree, and the most common link pointed out in all models is a decent transmission. If they can actually build a reliable and good performing tranny that can match to their engines this may help more than people think....(their autos are still stuck back in the mid 90's)
Old 04-09-2007, 11:00 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by GreenMonster

Acura also isn't going to change their whole lineup to RWD either... They don't care if the a percentage of the car buying public wants rwd, they are going to give everyone SH-AWD, weither or not you like it.
Thats what i've been saying about the RL for the longest time...that Acura won't give mid-size lux buyers what they want (RWD, V8), but instead give customers what HONDA wants (FWD based platform, V6 only, 1 trim level).

but then I'm called a "hater" for saying things like that by the (obviously few) people who thought the RL was perfect for them.
Old 04-09-2007, 11:02 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by cp3117
I agree, and the most common link pointed out in all models is a decent transmission. If they can actually build a reliable and good performing tranny that can match to their engines this may help more than people think....(their autos are still stuck back in the mid 90's)
their trannies aren't that bad or outdated except for that spat of tranny problems (which hopefully is fixed now). They just haven't been keeping up with the BMW's or Lexuses or MB's with more than 5 speeds, but no surprise there since they haven't been keeping up with much these days as "premium" automakers move to V8s (volvo) or RWD (Infiniti).
Old 04-09-2007, 12:25 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Looks like more "swing and a miss" from Acura in the near future.
Old 04-09-2007, 12:29 PM
TMQ
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Honda is planning to introduce Acura as a premium brand world wide - already in China, and soon to be in Japan and Europe, I suppose. Acura is just not for U.S. only anymore. Lexus is already selling in Japan. It's time for Honda/Acura to stop being cheap. Stop using the accord platform. Get a RWD sedan platform, for crying out loud. Even Hyundai is doing it.

Some say Honda doesn't want to sacrifice fuel efficiency using RWD - that's a total lie. Honda keeps building trucks - RDX, MDX, Pilot, Element, and has has been pretty weak with the hybrids - Accord hybrid isn't that fuel efficient. Honda wants to make money, but to hang with the big boys at BMW, Lexus and Infiniti, you need the right machines.

If Acura doesn't get a completely separate sedan platform for TL and RL, the brand is going to disappear in 10 years.

(I don't have a problem that TSX stays at FWD - it's a nice car and should use an optional small V6 to take sales away from ES. If accord has a V6, TSX need to have one available too. Then it all makes sense in the lineup - having TL/RL on RWD.)
Old 04-09-2007, 02:21 PM
Por Favor?

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I would agree Acura needs a major revamp on a couple of it's models, but It wouldnt take much to get them back on top.

The new TL will be out for 09 and I expect it to be a winner for the most part. AFIAK the TL is the name's best seller, so they cant really afford to mess that one up. I'd look for SH-AWD and HP hitting 300 or better on top trim. the current TL was hot in 03 when it debuted, then the competition caught up and surpassed it as expected. I expect a similar scenario in 09.

The TSX doesnt need much except some updated styling and a "fun" model offering the 2.3 Turbo and a helical LSD. SH-AWD would have this car drifting too far from its main intentions, but this car does need a little bit more impressive hardware to bolster its sporting credentials, especially in the absence of the RSX.

RL: Stick a V8 in therr or DIAF.

The new MDX is already pretty much a winner. Minor tweaks only. This is Acura's second most important car behind the TL...the bling-blingy gas guzzler segment is still a force to be reckoned with whether you like it or not.

RDX: Personally I kinda like it, but other than that I have no clue as to why they decided they needed this vehicle in their lineup. (you know, from a "realistic" standpoint). The CRV is nice enough and has always been a hot seller in a crowded market. Did they really think the market would have tons of space for this pricey vehicle?
Old 04-09-2007, 03:03 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Brandon24pdx
I would agree Acura needs a major revamp on a couple of it's models, but It wouldnt take much to get them back on top.

The new TL will be out for 09 and I expect it to be a winner for the most part. AFIAK the TL is the name's best seller, so they cant really afford to mess that one up. I'd look for SH-AWD and HP hitting 300 or better on top trim. the current TL was hot in 03 when it debuted, then the competition caught up and surpassed it as expected. I expect a similar scenario in 09.
i don't know, considering the competition is much more fierce than it was when the current gen TL was introduced, all it will take is a minor misstep for them to mess things up for it. And it'll be difficult considering there's not much growing room since the RL maxes out at 290hp...it won't look good when the unofficial "flagship" is overshadowed by a similar sized, higher hp AWD sedan.

The TSX doesnt need much except some updated styling and a "fun" model offering the 2.3 Turbo and a helical LSD. SH-AWD would have this car drifting too far from its main intentions, but this car does need a little bit more impressive hardware to bolster its sporting credentials, especially in the absence of the RSX.
werd...keep SH-AWD out of this car, just add more power and update styling.

RL: Stick a V8 in therr or DIAF.
just kill the RL so the TL can have more growing room...or make it RWD with a V8.

The new MDX is already pretty much a winner. Minor tweaks only. This is Acura's second most important car behind the TL...the bling-blingy gas guzzler segment is still a force to be reckoned with whether you like it or not.
werd.

RDX: Personally I kinda like it, but other than that I have no clue as to why they decided they needed this vehicle in their lineup. (you know, from a "realistic" standpoint). The CRV is nice enough and has always been a hot seller in a crowded market. Did they really think the market would have tons of space for this pricey vehicle?
having a hard time selling an SUV in an SUV market is a bad sign. The RDX needs a V6 just for marketing and bragging rights, otherwise it'll keep being compared to the cheaper CX7 and the V6 rav4. They already have a car that should've been compared to the CX7 and rav4...the CR-V. They should've stuck a turbo on the CRV and given the RDX a V6.
Old 04-09-2007, 03:07 PM
Banned

*jumps on bandwagon with what everyone else is saying*

I'm getting bored of my TL in a hurry. When I depart Honda to go to BMW or any place else, the odds of me coming back are pretty slim. If they produce an FR TL, I go no where...

Quick Reply: Acura: Sales, Marketing, and Financial News