Acura: RLX News

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 11:10 AM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
And this is where Acura fails...once again.

Put all this stuff in a exterior design, that looks similar to one of your lower end products.......WHY?

Why cut yourself off at the knees right out of the gate, Honda?

The first thing that catches the buyer's eye for any car is what it looks like on the outside....and Honda is trying to sell the buyer's of $50k automobiles an Accord?!?!?

At $50k, the buyer wants presence and prestige......from the outside first, then work towards the inside.
$50k is not big money.more in middle class.
Reliability, fuel efficiency and certain extent depreciation will also play a part. and this car is just about the fastest luxury vehicile in $50k range.
There is not a single item of Accord. Every thing is different. from double wishbone suspension to DI engine with new 6AT/ paddle shifters, acoustic glass. unless you show me a single major part from Accord?
No one will mistake it for Accord unlike BMWs. which share same music, navigation, cameras, interior, engines across the line up.

Every thing is very exclusive to Acura.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:12 AM
MechEng

Received 483 Likes on 400 Posts
Originally Posted by NSXNEXT
And with a 7-series price tag to boot? It would never sell. Acura is not in that market and probably never will be. And with no V8 option it will die the same slow death the CL did.

Look at the Equus. Similar amenities described above but it's a very very low volume car and caters to a very small market (rich people who are stingy with their money and have no desire to flash it with the car they drive). Do those people really exist?
You're right. It would be an extreme niche market in the US (I would be in that niche hehe). But maybe China? I'm sure you've seen the long wheelbase versions of the A6 and M37 that they have available there.

Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
The 1st gen RL/3rd gen Legend had a few of those features available (including reclining rear seats) in the Asian markets. It didn't sell.
Times have changed since then. Chinese market is rapidly expanding.

Originally Posted by Hapa DC5
Oh like a real luxury flagship
Old 11-29-2012, 11:12 AM
אני עומד עם ישראל

Received 810 Likes on 522 Posts
dammit mteazy you deleted your comment before I could reply
The following users liked this post:
MTEAZY (11-29-2012)
Old 11-29-2012, 11:43 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Originally Posted by SSFTSX
Reliability, fuel efficiency and certain extent depreciation will also play a part. and this car is just about the fastest luxury vehicile in $50k range.
There is not a single item of Accord. Every thing is different. from double wishbone suspension to DI engine with new 6AT/ paddle shifters, acoustic glass. unless you show me a single major part from Accord?
No one will mistake it for Accord unlike BMWs. which share same music, navigation, cameras, interior, engines across the line up.

Every thing is very exclusive to Acura.
Shocking! You missed the entire point....as usual.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:48 AM
The Third Ball

Received 4,852 Likes on 2,589 Posts
From the photos...(im going to try and go to autoshow tomorrow) it just doesnt look like a good design.

The headlamps are ugly and dont flow in to the front...the power plenum grill is same pile of shit we all hate. The tail lights look bulbous and out of place...given am odd design just because everyone does it these days.

The interior...that center stack looks like a chestburster is making its way out. Also makes the interior look/feel smaller.

It just does not look good to me.
CLtotheTL32 (11-29-2012)
Old 11-29-2012, 11:50 AM
Some dude

Received 347 Likes on 203 Posts
Originally Posted by SSFTSX
Middle class rich people.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:20 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 114 Likes on 66 Posts

If and this is a big IF... Honda manages to move 1000 a month to start they'll be lucky.... we'll see the numbers drop like the last generation -- and taper off to sub ~100/month around MMC time...

I'll wait... but seeing the direction this economy is headed I think the market will speak for itself on this one.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:35 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Meanwhile in the land of DOA, the ZDX meets its new friend the RLX.
The following 3 users liked this post by Moog-Type-S:
civicdrivr (11-29-2012), jwong77 (11-29-2012), Sarlacc (11-29-2012)
Old 11-29-2012, 02:13 PM
Honda Fanboy

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
I think Acura's definition of a flagship is misunderstood

Audi = A8
BMW = 7 Series
Cadillac (not on price, but size wise) = XTS
Hyundai (not even a tier 2 luxury marque) = Equus
Jaguar = XJ
Lexus = LS
MB = S-Class

200 inches in length or more. Infiniti doesn't have a true flagship in the states either.

Like I said my expectations are different. I guess.
Size has nothing to do with defining a flagship. A flagship is supposed to be representation of the best a brand has to offer; their top of the line product. Just because an S class is larger than the RLX, that doesn't mean the RLX is not a flagship. Both cars are the flagship of their respective companies.

The difference between the RLX as a flagship and an S class, for example, as a flagship, is that the RLX is an E-segment car whereas the S-Class is an F-segment car. Acura doesn't have a true F-segment car, which is what cars like the 7-Series, S-Class, and A8 are.

The RLX has more rear legroom than a 750i, A8, and LS460. In fact, the RLX has 3 inches of more rear legroom than an LS460, but you can't say the LS460 is not a true flagship because of its size. It is the flagship of the Lexus brand. Flagship does not automatically equal F-segment car.
Old 11-29-2012, 02:31 PM
אני עומד עם ישראל

I think Acura's definition of a flagship is misunderstood

Audi = A8
BMW = 7 Series
Cadillac (not on price, but size wise) = XTS
Hyundai (not even a tier 2 luxury marque) = Equus
Jaguar = XJ
Lexus = LS
MB = S-Class

200 inches in length or more. Infiniti doesn't have a true flagship in the states either.

Like I said my expectations are different. I guess.
Originally Posted by VTEC Racer
Size has nothing to do with defining a flagship. A flagship is supposed to be representation of the best a brand has to offer; their top of the line product. Just because an S class is larger than the RLX, that doesn't mean the RLX is not a flagship. Both cars are the flagship of their respective companies.

The difference between the RLX as a flagship and an S class, for example, as a flagship, is that the RLX is an E-segment car whereas the S-Class is an F-segment car. Acura doesn't have a true F-segment car, which is what cars like the 7-Series, S-Class, and A8 are.

The RLX has more rear legroom than a 750i, A8, and LS460. In fact, the RLX has 3 inches of more rear legroom than an LS460, but you can't say the LS460 is not a true flagship because of its size. It is the flagship of the Lexus brand. Flagship does not automatically equal F-segment car.
Stop.

This is Acura's flagship I'm not disagreeing with you. It is still not a player in the luxury flagship arena despite how much you may want it to be.

This is a mid-size competitor to the E/5/A6/M/XF world as you mentioned.

Hence the fact Acura is once again lacking a true luxury flagship. So, as I mentioned earlier my expectations will be completely different than yours. I'm following the market and what Acura's competitors are producing. The RLX may be a very roomy mid-sizer, but it is not a full size luxury flagship.

Another miss from Acura. Hopefully I'm wrong and the market wants their mid-size flagship..
The following 2 users liked this post by Hapa DC5:
jwong77 (11-29-2012), ttribe (11-29-2012)
Old 11-29-2012, 02:48 PM
Honda Fanboy

Stop.

This is Acura's flagship I'm not disagreeing with you. It is still not a player in the luxury flagship arena despite how much you may want it to be.

This is a mid-size competitor to the E/5/A6/M/XF world as you mentioned.

Hence the fact Acura is once again lacking a true luxury flagship. So, as I mentioned earlier my expectations will be completely different than yours. I'm following the market and what Acura's competitors are producing. The RLX may be a very roomy mid-sizer, but it is not a full size luxury flagship.

Another miss from Acura. Hopefully I'm wrong and the market wants their mid-size flagship..
Settle down, Bub.

You're not understanding the fact that the "luxury flagship arena" is not exclusive to F-segment cars.

What you're trying to say is that the RLX is not a true F-segment car, which it is not, and nobody is disagreeing with you about that. Acura is not lacking a flagship; the RLX is that. What Acura is lacking is an F-segment car that competes directly with the flagships of Audi, BMW, and MB (which are all F-segment).

You need to look up what the definition of Flagship is because you're obviously not clear in your understanding of it. It has nothing to do with size or price, hence your reference to the XTS.
Old 11-29-2012, 02:49 PM

Received 5,915 Likes on 2,915 Posts
Settle down, Bub.

You're not understanding the fact that the "luxury flagship arena" is not exclusive to F-segment cars.

What you're trying to say is that the RLX is not a true F-segment car, which it is not, and nobody is disagreeing with you about that. Acura is not lacking a flagship; the RLX is that. What Acura is lacking is an F-segment car that competes directly with the flagships of Audi, BMW, and MB (which are all F-segment).

You need to look up what the definition of Flagship is because you're obviously not clear in your understanding of it. It has nothing to do with size or price, hence your reference to the XTS.
What, exactly, do you see the RLX competing with?
Old 11-29-2012, 03:11 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,260 Likes on 4,875 Posts
Originally Posted by ttribe
The TL...
The following 2 users liked this post by civicdrivr:
Hapa DC5 (11-29-2012), jwong77 (11-29-2012)
Old 11-29-2012, 03:16 PM
Midnight Marauder

Received 56 Likes on 42 Posts
I'm going to guess the Genesis.

It would be interesting to see how many people who bought a 5 series or E class had cross shopped the RL during their buying process. I doubt there would be many.
Old 11-29-2012, 03:28 PM
אני עומד עם ישראל

Settle down, Bub.

Whatever you say Pal.

We can go in circles all day long. The fact of the matter is Acura does not have a flagship to compete with the other luxury brand's flagships.

Does that sound better to you?
Old 11-29-2012, 03:36 PM
Honda Fanboy

Whatever you say Pal.

We can go in circles all day long. The fact of the matter is Acura does not have an F-segment car to compete with the other f-segment flagships.

Does that sound better to you?
Much better
Old 11-29-2012, 03:38 PM

Much better
The crucial question still persists - what, exactly, is the RLX intended to compete with?
civicdrivr (11-29-2012)
Old 11-29-2012, 04:20 PM
אני עומד עם ישראל

The crucial question still persists - what, exactly, is the RLX intended to compete with?
Which leads one to ask: What will the TLX compete with? I thought these cars were moving upmarket?
ttribe (11-29-2012)
Old 11-29-2012, 04:36 PM
Honda Fanboy

Which leads one to ask: What will the TLX compete with? I thought these cars were moving upmarket?
Probably the same cars it competes with right now. Depending on the future of the TSX, I don't see the TLX moving upmarket. That was the plan four years ago but as we all know, Acura rescinded their tier-aspirations. I expect the TLX to get the Accord treatment: smaller on the outside, same size on the inside.

My concern is more about the future of SH-AWD on the TL. Will it retain the option of SH-AWD? Mechanical or Electric? What kind of premium should we expect if it's going to be electric, and what will that do to the availability of a manual transmission.
Old 11-29-2012, 04:38 PM

Probably the same cars it competes with right now. Depending on the future of the TSX, I don't see the TLX moving upmarket. That was the plan four years ago but as we all know, Acura rescinded their tier-aspirations. I expect the TLX to get the Accord treatment: smaller on the outside, same size on the inside.

My concern is more about the future of SH-AWD on the TL. Will it retain the option of SH-AWD? Mechanical or Electric? What kind of premium should we expect if it's going to be electric, and what will that do to the availability of a manual transmission.
Either he has me on "Ignore" or he just can't answer what the target competing models are for the RLX. Maybe someone else should ask him since it's no secret he loathes me.
Old 11-29-2012, 04:40 PM
אני עומד עם ישראל

Either he has me on "Ignore" or he just can't answer what the target competing models are for the RLX. Maybe someone else should ask him since it's no secret he loathes me.
I got your back.

VTEC: As per ttribe...

What exactly does the RLX compete with?
ttribe (11-29-2012)
Old 11-29-2012, 04:44 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 835 Likes on 519 Posts
I think the styling is just elegantly bland. It doesn't look ugly to me. The styling direction of the RLX is closer to the LS and A6 IMO (conservative, kinda bland, easy on the eyes).

From the comments here, it seems like people don't have much of a problem with the RLX other than the styling. I think what you guys want to see is something similar to the CLS and A7?
Old 11-29-2012, 04:45 PM
brahs be jelly

Received 247 Likes on 169 Posts
ttribe & his goons
Old 11-29-2012, 04:48 PM
Honda Fanboy

I got your back.

VTEC: As per ttribe...

What exactly does the RLX compete with?
Ahh, I have him on my Troll list so I don't see his posts unless I specifically click on them. But loving the bromance between you two...

According to Acura, competition for the RLX includes the BMW 535i, Lexus GS350 and Audi A6.

Hope that helps!
Old 11-29-2012, 04:56 PM

Ahh, I have him on my Troll list so I don't see his posts unless I specifically click on them. But loving the bromance between you two...

According to Acura, competition for the RLX includes the BMW 535i, Lexus GS350 and Audi A6.

Hope that helps!
Yeah, I'm the troll but he posts crap like this - https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...postcount=3001. Whatever.

Anyway, I guess I can see the GS350 and the Infiniti M. Maybe a base 528 or base A6, but I think it would have a hard time measuring up to anything more than a base model variant of those two.

I think this goes back to Hapa's point though (at the risk of furthering the "bromance" accusation) - it's unfortunate that Acura's premier flagship model can only attempt to take on the middle models of its competitors (Infiniti as the notable exception). This lends further credence to the notion that the RLX squeezes out the TL since, really, the TL is supposed to be the 5/A6/M fighter. Acura's market positioning just doesn't make any sense; they have two mid-size sedans competing in the same space.

Last edited by ttribe; 11-29-2012 at 05:05 PM.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:06 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
Originally Posted by jwong77
I'm going to guess the Genesis.

It would be interesting to see how many people who bought a 5 series or E class had cross shopped the RL during their buying process. I doubt there would be many.
I would take the Genesis 5.0 Rspec over this in less than a heartbeat and with money left to cover almost 1 year of car payment.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:16 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
Originally Posted by iforyou
I think the styling is just elegantly bland. It doesn't look ugly to me. The styling direction of the RLX is closer to the LS and A6 IMO (conservative, kinda bland, easy on the eyes).

From the comments here, it seems like people don't have much of a problem with the RLX other than the styling. I think what you guys want to see is something similar to the CLS and A7?
Let's "assume" that the RLX competes with 5 series and E class or GS because obviously it cant compete in the "F-segment". As "sporty" and "great handler" a RLX is, it should at least look as good/sporty as 535 Msport or E350 Sport or GS F sport. I don't even want to bring 550i Msport and E550 into the discussion.

you can call some of those cars ugly but you can't say they are boring looking.

New CLS is one god damn good weird looking car, FYI.

with this, you have a 70 years grandma design and yet you claim you can corner faster than everyone else.....
Old 11-29-2012, 06:27 PM
Honda Fanboy

Yeah, I'm the troll but he posts crap like this - https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...postcount=3001. Whatever.

Anyway, I guess I can see the GS350 and the Infiniti M. Maybe a base 528 or base A6, but I think it would have a hard time measuring up to anything more than a base model variant of those two.

I think this goes back to Hapa's point though (at the risk of furthering the "bromance" accusation) - it's unfortunate that Acura's premier flagship model can only attempt to take on the middle models of its competitors (Infiniti as the notable exception). This lends further credence to the notion that the RLX squeezes out the TL since, really, the TL is supposed to be the 5/A6/M fighter. Acura's market positioning just doesn't make any sense; they have two mid-size sedans competing in the same space.
Why did I click on "View Post"????

You seriously edited your post so you can add a link to a post I made? What good would that do? Yeah, you're not the troll.

You clearly have some insecurity issues, which is evident in your effort to disprove that you're a troll.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:29 PM

Why did I click on "View Post"????

You seriously edited your post so you can add a link to a post I made? What good would that do? Yeah, you're not the troll.

You clearly have some insecurity issues, which is evident in your effort to disprove that you're a troll.
And yet you did nothing to address the substance of my post; you just focused in on my response to your insult of me. What is your deal?
Old 11-29-2012, 06:32 PM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
If RLX competes with BMW 535i, Lexus GS350 and Audi A6, does that mean TL(X) competes with 335i, IS350 and Audi A4?

If so, does that mean TSX competes with BMW 135i, ES350, and Audi A3?

If so, does that mean the ILX competes with..... shit, what does the ILX compete with?

Acura is so with their lineup and marketing.
The following 5 users liked this post by AZuser:
civicdrivr (11-30-2012), Costco (11-29-2012), Hapa DC5 (11-29-2012), phile (11-29-2012), ttribe (11-29-2012)
Old 11-29-2012, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by AZuser
If RLX competes with BMW 535i, Lexus GS350 and Audi A6, does that mean TL(X) competes with 335i, IS350 and Audi A4?

If so, does that mean TSX competes with BMW 135i, ES350, and Audi A3?

If so, does that mean the ILX competes with..... shit, what does the ILX compete with?

Acura is so with their lineup and marketing.
EXACTLY! There seems to be overlap and cannibalization between the ILX and TSX as "entry-near-Lux", and the same goes for the TL and the RLX in the "mid-size-lux" area. The only place Acura seems to have well-defined market segmentation is the RDX and MDX.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:36 PM
Honda Fanboy

And yet you did nothing to address the substance of my post; you just focused in on my response to your insult of me. What is your deal?
There was no substance in the post to address. And I'm sorry that you being in my ignore list is an insult. It's just the internet. Act your age.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:38 PM
אני עומד עם ישראל

Originally Posted by MTEAZY
ttribe & his goons
Goons? He has the man on ignore, so I posted it for him.

Hope that helps!
I have the same bromance with you. I'd extend the courtesy if someone had you on block and they wanted to ask you a question, which I'm sure a lot do
The following 2 users liked this post by Hapa DC5:
phile (11-29-2012), ttribe (11-29-2012)
Old 11-29-2012, 06:40 PM

There was no substance in the post to address. And I'm sorry that you being in my ignore list is an insult. It's just the internet. Act your age.
[sigh] You won't even try to be reasonable? You see nothing to discuss substantively in this - "...it's unfortunate that Acura's premier flagship model can only attempt to take on the middle models of its competitors (Infiniti as the notable exception). This lends further credence to the notion that the RLX squeezes out the TL since, really, the TL is supposed to be the 5/A6/M fighter. Acura's market positioning just doesn't make any sense; they have two mid-size sedans competing in the same space."? Seriously?

Last edited by ttribe; 11-29-2012 at 06:44 PM.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:43 PM
Honda Fanboy

Goons? He has the man on ignore, so I posted it for him.

I have the same bromance with you. I'd extend the courtesy if someone had you on block and they wanted to ask you a question, which I'm sure a lot do
I appreciate the kind gesture but people are placed on a troll list for a reason. And unfortunately, not as many people (or at least not the right people) as I was hoping for have me blocked.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:48 PM
Honda Fanboy

[sigh] You won't even try to be reasonable? You see nothing to discuss substantively in this - "...it's unfortunate that Acura's premier flagship model can only attempt to take on the middle models of its competitors (Infiniti as the notable exception). This lends further credence to the notion that the RLX squeezes out the TL since, really, the TL is supposed to be the 5/A6/M fighter. Acura's market positioning just doesn't make any sense; they have two mid-size sedans competing in the same space."? Seriously?
Reasonable about what? I'm not going to bring myself down a level just to meet you at eye-level. You're opinion is just that, an opinion. And if history is any lesson, it's best to just leave you be with your opinions.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:53 PM

Reasonable about what? I'm not going to bring myself down a level just to meet you at eye-level. You're opinion is just that, an opinion. And if history is any lesson, it's best to just leave you be with your opinions.
Good grief. I tried...I really did.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:55 PM
Honda Fanboy

Good grief.
There it is!! HAHA I knew you were going to say it sooner than later.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:59 PM

There it is!! HAHA I knew you were going to say it sooner than later.
Sorry that bothers you. Would you prefer I stooped to using expletives or engaging in petty name-calling?
Old 11-29-2012, 07:01 PM
Honda Fanboy

Sorry that bothers you. Would you prefer I stooped to using expletives or engaging in petty name-calling?
LOL Have a good night, man. It was worth the laugh...

Quick Reply: Acura: RLX News