Acura: RLX News

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 01:17 AM
The Third Ball

Received 5,105 Likes on 2,708 Posts
Originally Posted by MTEAZY
I know what you're getting at, but it was a cheap move by VW. I doubt Honda could get away with that in the US. Looking at their website the JSW is an MKV with a facelift so it still has the multilink.
You dont think so?

Honda sure got away with dropping the superior front and rear double wishbone for a cheaper front macpherson strut.

And if I'm not tracking the car...Im not sure it really impacts me that much.

And, duh, VW made cheap moves all over the place with their NA only version of the jetta (and passat)....its what is allowing them to sell them for the low prices they are getting...which has proven to be a very smart move on their part.
Old 11-30-2012, 01:22 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
My only problem with VW, is that it is in fact, VW. Meaning shoddy reliability, lots of unnecessary dealership visits. I can think of several anecdotal stories from friends alone, all of whom swear to never buy or lease another one.

Plus their dealerships overall have a terrible reputation. I'm lucky to have excellent Acura dealers.

Having said all this, the Jetta TDI wagon at approximately $30,000 comes well equipped, having some things my TSX wagon does not. I paid $35,000 for mine. I also plan on keeping it for a long time, so I figured I'd pay more to have something I can live with.
Old 11-30-2012, 01:23 AM
brahs be jelly

Received 247 Likes on 169 Posts
Originally Posted by Sarlacc
You dont think so?

Honda sure got away with dropping the superior front and rear double wishbone for a cheaper front macpherson strut.

And if I'm not tracking the car...Im not sure it really impacts me that much.

And, duh, VW made cheap moves all over the place with their NA only version of the jetta (and passat)....its what is allowing them to sell them for the low prices they are getting...which has proven to be a very smart move on their part.
That's what Honda did with the 2012 Civic and everyone shit bricks. But VW is German so no one has the balls to say anything.
Old 11-30-2012, 01:25 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
That's what Honda did with the 2012 Civic and everyone shit bricks.
Honda stopped using double-wishbones in the Civic's front suspension for the 2001 model.
Old 11-30-2012, 01:28 AM
brahs be jelly

I was referring to the other cost-cutting moves. Even so the US Civic still has IRS.
Old 11-30-2012, 01:30 AM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
My only problem with VW, is that it is in fact, VW. Meaning shoddy reliability, lots of unnecessary dealership visits. I can think of several anecdotal stories from friends alone, all of whom swear to never buy or lease another one.

Plus their dealerships overall have a terrible reputation. I'm lucky to have excellent Acura dealers.

Having said all this, the Jetta TDI wagon at approximately $30,000 comes well equipped, having some things my TSX wagon does not. I paid $35,000 for mine. I also plan on keeping it for a long time, so I figured I'd pay more to have something I can live with.
While Acura has the track record of reliability (though that has come into question as of late compared to the Acura many of us knew and loved) the VW is hit and miss.

Yes, there are horror stories. And then there are people who never have issues. And the diesels seem to have less issues than the others. I mean thunder a bought a TDI sedan and has some issue with the sunroof and it got fixed.

dealers....again hit or miss...Ive been to acura dealers that are shittier than some honda dealers. And some that are really good. VW, Im sure, would be the same experience.

Hell, I own a dodge...same shit. Thankfully, I have found two dealers that had very good dealer networks...but that doesn't matter to me anymore as my warranty expired at the end of Oct. but the car has been rock solid and one of the best Ive ever owned.

Im not slamming the TSX Wagon (and i know you know this) in any way...I like the car, its the only Acura that turns my head right now. But I feel it has competition for the money. And premium fuel for a 4 banger that costs 35K...not an option in my opinion for what my auto needs are.
Old 11-30-2012, 01:33 AM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
comparably equipped...the TSX is STILL thousands more. like $5k more

vehicle renewal in CA will be the same regardless as its based on the value of the car regardless of whether you lease or buy...insurance...no real baring there either.

Money factor being offered at the factors into it as well.

But I'll let you keep pulling statements out of your ass as I'm currently leasing a $40k SUV for $300 a month...

And thicker glass
It is not 5K more for comparable equiped. Auto TDI wagon auto/sun roof start at $28,400 with 17 rims There is no HID. $500 for rear spoiler. Tire x-section 225/45. it is less thick so less comfort. TSX wagon is $32k. Its $3k difference.
TSX does not need premium and it will still get same fuel economic. you get longer life high quality Michellen tires in TSX. good for 55k miles.
Insurance make difference after 4 years of depreciation. almost $500 a year.
Cars are depreciated for vehicle renewal. its better to keep things for 6 or 7 years when technology really make difference rather keep changing every 3 years.
Old 11-30-2012, 01:34 AM
The Third Ball

I was referring to the other cost-cutting moves. Even so the US Civic still has IRS.
Making the Jetta a NA only model built in Mexico was a HUGE cost cutting move, which allows them to undercut their competition.

And again...Im not taking a Sportwagon on a track. I see SEVERAL TDI wagons on the road everyday, so I'm not really sure where the argument is headed.

And again...this is ALL moot because I took a deal on a SUV that trumps them all in terms of price vs what Im getting for the price and cost of ownership.
Old 11-30-2012, 01:36 AM
brahs be jelly

I have no argument, just having a conversation.
Old 11-30-2012, 01:42 AM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by SSFTSX
It is not 5K more for comparable equiped. Auto TDI wagon auto/sun roof start at $28,400 with 17 rims There is no HID. $500 for rear spoiler. Tire x-section 225/45. it is less thick so less comfort. TSX wagon is $32k. Its $3k difference.
TSX does not need premium and it will still get same fuel economic. you get longer life high quality Michellen tires in TSX. good for 55k miles.
Insurance make difference after 4 years of depreciation. almost $500 a year.
Cars are depreciated for vehicle renewal. its better to keep things for 6 or 7 years when technology really make difference rather keep changing every 3 years.

A fully loaded Jetta SW TDI is $30K...a fully loaded TSX Wagon is $36K.

The TSX doesnt neeeed premium...but lets be honest. If you were to buy the car for long term ownership you'd be stupid not to. And there is a reason Acura recommends premium.

As for you attempt to tell me its better to own for 6-7 years vs leasing every 3...Considering I write off the majority of the car under my business...Yeah, I'll continue to ignore you're baseless ramblings.
Old 11-30-2012, 01:43 AM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by mteazy
i have no argument, just having a conversation.
ok
Old 11-30-2012, 01:49 AM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
A fully loaded Jetta SW TDI is $30K...a fully loaded TSX Wagon is $36K.

The TSX doesnt neeeed premium...but lets be honest. If you were to buy the car for long term ownership you'd be stupid not to. And there is a reason Acura recommends premium.

As for you attempt to tell me its better to own for 6-7 years vs leasing every 3...Considering I write off the majority of the car under my business...Yeah, I'll continue to ignore you're baseless ramblings.
$36k car has high quality music system and large navigation screen. it is not cheap Jetta screen. recommending premium is for performance not for long life. it wont make a difference. i had previous 1G TSX all on regular and the previous owner always used regular unleaded. if ur writing off than ur not for fuel economic. there is no point in noisy TDI with less insulation in hot weather.
Old 11-30-2012, 01:55 AM
The Third Ball

$36k car has high quality music system and large navigation screen. it is not cheap Jetta screen. recommending premium is for performance not for long life. it wont make a difference. i had previous 1G TSX all on regular and the previous owner always used regular unleaded. if ur writing off than ur not for fuel economic. there is no point in noisy TDI with less insulation in hot weather.
Its as comparable as its going to get, not really sure what you can't squeeze in to that thick skull of yours in regards to that. But I like you're trying to sneak your subjective view in there again...

I'll let others debate the use of reg in an engine that recommends premium. I'm tired of that circle.

If I'm writing off a portion it has nothing to do with what I am or am not for. That vehicle is serving a purpose and if I had gone with small wagon than fuel economy WAS very much important.

But thanks for trying to tell me what my needs are.

Less insulation? Ever hear of tint...its this great new invention...Hot weather? Sure we have some hot days...but I don't live in Phoenix or Vegas...I live near the water.

Thanks, for this evening you have really shown me how far a human can stuff their head up their ass. No really, I'm impressed.
Old 11-30-2012, 04:03 AM
Lone Wolf

Received 498 Likes on 399 Posts
I don't think acura understands how typical Americans think. They only look skin deep and don't care about what's underneath the skin. All the technology/improvements will go right over their heads. They will just look at price, looks, hp numbers, and how fast it goes in a straight line.
Old 11-30-2012, 04:18 AM
Lone Wolf

Received 498 Likes on 399 Posts
Thanks for trying to impart your subjective opinions as fact...you and dipshit racer never fail to disappoint.
Pretty funny coming from someone who thinks they know it all and are always right. Thanks for the laugh. You do realize you do the same exact thing also. All people do.
Old 11-30-2012, 05:10 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,671 Likes on 932 Posts
Alright guys, take a chill pill. We don't need a war breaking out in this thread so, let's curb the insults.
The following 3 users liked this post by F23A4:
EL19 (11-30-2012), Ken1997TL (12-01-2012), TSX69 (11-30-2012)
Old 11-30-2012, 07:14 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,400 Likes on 704 Posts
Lightbulb Cnet

Once upon a time, Acura pushed the cutting edge of cabin technology, pioneering such features such as navigation and active noise cancellation. But times changed and Acura didn't, letting other automakers steal the high-tech mantle. Now Acura fights back with the RLX, a new high-end sedan with some odd quirks.

By and large, premium and luxury automakers use rear-wheel-drive for their flagship sedans, an architecture maintained more out of tradition than real necessity. Acura has alway bucked this trend, and continues to do so with the RLX. This model will launch as a front-wheel-drive car sporting a 3.5-liter direct injection engine.

But current standards, that specification is nothing to write home about, as even economy car makers go to direct injection. However, later next year Acura promises a much higher tech drivetrain, this 1 incorporating a hybrid system and all-wheel-drive. The 3.5-liter V-6 will remain, and get added power from an electric drive system at the rear wheels. As with other hybrids, the battery pack will recapture energy that would have been lost from braking.

The hybrid version should not only add significant power, but Acura estimates it will get 6 mpg better for average fuel economy than the front-wheel-drive V-6 version.

Acura boasts a few intriguing technologies for the new sedan. For one, it will come with LED headlights standard, wide arrays that bookend the Acura shield grille. LED headlights use much less power than current bi-xenon lamps, and should last much longer, as well. In addition, LED headlights allow for a more tightly defined throw pattern.

The front-wheel-drive model will also get an innovative handling technology, four wheel steering. Acura calls this system Precision All-Wheel Steer. It is designed to work in concert with traction control and stability technologies to allow for fast, stable cornering. The all-wheel-drive hybrid version will not feature this technology, but should offer torque vectoring at the rear wheels.

The exterior of the RLX looks unremarkable, a long, smooth-sided sedan with little ornamentation. Its most distinguishing features are its grille and headlights. However, what could be seen as lack of flair becomes understatement when you sit in the cabin, which exudes a sense of luxury through its materials and design.

Most telling for the luxury experience is an optional 14 speaker Krell audio system, a step up from the standard 10 speaker ELS system. During an in-car demo on the show floor, the system delivered an incredibly dynamic audio experience. Playing tracks with traditional instruments on an Acura demo CD, the entire range of a single note from a bass guitar came through clearly, while the vocal reproduction made it sound like the singers were in the car. For those who appreciate music, this system will offer plenty of satisfaction.

Krell is not a generally familiar name, playing in the high-end audio world. The company spent 4 years during the development of the RLX, coming up with speaker technologies and placement, and refining the system's output. Beyond its sound quality, the system announces its presence with nice, metal grilles on the door speakers.

The dashboard of the RLX on display in Los Angeles had two LCDs in the center stack, which was reminiscent of the 2013 Accord model recently launched by Honda. In the Accord, the screen arrangement is an inelegant solution to building cars with and without a navigation option. For the RLX, Acura should have either made navigation standard, and consolidated infotainment on one screen. Alternatively, the company could have just made a single screen host only phone and audio information when the navigation option was not present. The 2 screen system is a little strange.

The RLX will also offer a host of driver assistance features, from blind spot monitoring to adaptive cruise control, helping it compete with other luxury flagships.

The front-wheel-drive RLX model should go on sale in the 1st half of 2013, with the hybrid model following in the 2nd half.
The following 2 users liked this post by TSX69:
EL19 (11-30-2012), Legend2TL (11-30-2012)
Old 11-30-2012, 10:07 AM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by brian6speed
Pretty funny coming from someone who thinks they know it all and are always right. Thanks for the laugh. You do realize you do the same exact thing also. All people do.
Funny coming from a douche nozzle who peaks his head in threads, makes blatantly ignorant and racist comments and then runs away be a schmuck elsewhere.

Yeah buddy, you're a real winner yourself.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:43 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,294 Likes on 2,649 Posts
The new LS grill looks awful

I'm not a fan of the RLX grill it would look better without the power plenum solid piece. If they replaced it with two more horizontal slats like whats below it that would be OK.

I think red and blue will be impressive. you will not feel old man in this car.

how exactly is this better design.

Old 11-30-2012, 10:56 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by iforyou
I think the styling is just elegantly bland. It doesn't look ugly to me. The styling direction of the RLX is closer to the LS and A6 IMO (conservative, kinda bland, easy on the eyes).

From the comments here, it seems like people don't have much of a problem with the RLX other than the styling. I think what you guys want to see is something similar to the CLS and A7?
The RLX styling blandness reminds me of the new 5/7 series which are also pretty bland. I think the bland styled luxury models outsell the sporty styled models so that's my guess on why Honda/Acura selected that.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:13 AM
אני עומד עם ישראל

Received 810 Likes on 522 Posts
^ Hey buddy.

I felt the RL was a decent car for its time even pretty good in '05. I was just hoping Acura would bring it since they had a great opportunity for a reset. They didn't.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:08 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 846 Likes on 526 Posts
Originally Posted by oonowindoo
Let's "assume" that the RLX competes with 5 series and E class or GS because obviously it cant compete in the "F-segment". As "sporty" and "great handler" a RLX is, it should at least look as good/sporty as 535 Msport or E350 Sport or GS F sport. I don't even want to bring 550i Msport and E550 into the discussion.

you can call some of those cars ugly but you can't say they are boring looking.

New CLS is one god damn good weird looking car, FYI.

with this, you have a 70 years grandma design and yet you claim you can corner faster than everyone else.....
I don't think we need to assume.....I think the RLX is indeed targeted to go against the 5/E/GS, etc.

You mentioned M Sport, Sport, F sport. In other words, it seems like what you want is perhaps a sport package or sport trim of the base RLX? I think that's a good idea. That would certainly inject some excitement to the model.

The 5 series is fine but the E 350, even with sport, doesn't look that exciting IMO....The GS is ugly..especially after the refresh...just isn't my cup of tea. With that said, I think Honda is too chicken. We have all witnessed the 4G TL. THAT was not boring. But how many people actually like the design here? Do you?

Originally Posted by AZuser
If RLX competes with BMW 535i, Lexus GS350 and Audi A6, does that mean TL(X) competes with 335i, IS350 and Audi A4?

If so, does that mean TSX competes with BMW 135i, ES350, and Audi A3?

If so, does that mean the ILX competes with..... shit, what does the ILX compete with?

Acura is so with their lineup and marketing.
I think TL and TSX will become the TLX....at least that's what I've heard....

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
Speaking of the CLS and A7, I saw the brand new BMW 640i today.

A 4-door coupe body in matt brown color. The rear end looked awesome.
Yes, I like it. I think that's something that people want here. Acura made a ZDX based on the MDX. Why not make a RLX gran coupe based on the RLX too (and make it pretty...if possible...)?

Originally Posted by brian6speed
I don't think acura understands how typical Americans think. They only look skin deep and don't care about what's underneath the skin. All the technology/improvements will go right over their heads. They will just look at price, looks, hp numbers, and how fast it goes in a straight line.
Sad, but true.
Krell Audio? Screw it.
Sport hybrid? Don't care.
3 electric motors? so what?
30mpg in the city? Irrelevant.

Originally Posted by Legend2TL
The RLX styling blandness reminds me of the new 5/7 series which are also pretty bland. I think the bland styled luxury models outsell the sporty styled models so that's my guess on why Honda/Acura selected that.
Although it wouldn't be a bad idea to offer some sort of sport package to make things more interesting!
Old 11-30-2012, 12:52 PM
Honda Fanboy

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Thats what trolls do look at his reply to me in the Civic thread.

Much like other losers on here, when they have nothing to really reply to accurate statements they result to insults to deflect.

This wimpy kid is no different.
https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...1&postcount=32

https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...9&postcount=17

https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...1&postcount=41

https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...8&postcount=36

https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...5&postcount=32

https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...3&postcount=27

https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...2&postcount=81

https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...8&postcount=29

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...8#post13926907

You've made it crystal clear. Thanks!
Old 11-30-2012, 12:58 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by Hapa DC5
^ Hey buddy.

I felt the RL was a decent car for its time even pretty good in '05. I was just hoping Acura would bring it since they had a great opportunity for a reset. They didn't.
I (and imagine some others on this thread) wanted to see a purpose built RWD longitudinal drivetrain/chassis platform, and not a FWD/AWD. Knowing how well Honda did on the S2000 and NSX they could have had a performance competitive mid-size luxury car. Instead they stepped back to the transverse FWD/AWD approach, they may work very well (awaiting reviews) but I'd like to have seen what Acura could have done with the RWD program they cancelled.

BTW, I also really like the 2G RL as well. Drove really well, a step above my TL in quality, and liked the styling.
Old 11-30-2012, 01:18 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Acura does not carry the badge prestige of BMW, Mercedes, or Lexus, so they cannot generate a bump in sales on legacy/prestige alone for the RLX, whereas a 5 series, E class, or dare I say GS can/will.

The general car buying public considers Acura a step below the top lux makes.

To nullify this "handicap" Acura needed to bring something to the table: An elegant, beautiful, exterior design that has "presence".

Acura decided to "go with what we know": vanilla styling, Accord lines/style, but bigger, slap the very, very, long in tooth 5 point corporate front end, nothing too amazing on the interior side of things, and done! (I think they also feared the TL and ZDX design failures too....those being extremely polarizing)

Sure, the Krell audio will be excellent. Sure the super duper PAWS will be nifty stuff.
MPG numbers will be something to look at.

....but at the end of the day Honda unfortunately decided to wrap up their goodies in box of boring looks.....and without a prestige badge to boot.

They will stumble out of the gate once again.

Bottom line: Acura needs to clean house and bring in a new lead designer that will bring a new corporate front end, and new identity to the exterior designs of the vehicle lineup.
The following users liked this post:
ttribe (11-30-2012)
Old 11-30-2012, 01:21 PM
Some dude

Received 347 Likes on 203 Posts
Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
Acura does not carry the badge prestige of BMW, Mercedes, or Lexus, so they cannot generate a bump in sales on legacy/prestige alone for the RLX, whereas a 5 series, E class, or dare I say GS can/will.

The general car buying public considers Acura a step below the top lux makes.

To nullify this "handicap" Acura needed to bring something to the table: An elegant, beautiful, exterior design that has "presence".

Acura decided to "go with what we know": vanilla styling, Accord lines/style, but bigger, slap the very, very, long in tooth 5 point corporate front end, nothing too amazing on the interior side of things, and done! (I think they also feared the TL and ZDX design failures too....those being extremely polarizing)

Sure, the Krell audio will be excellent. Sure the super duper PAWS will be nifty stuff.
MPG numbers will be something to look at.

....but at the end of the day Honda unfortunately decided to wrap up their goodies in box of boring looks.....and without a prestige badge to boot.

They will stumble out of the gate once again.

Bottom line: Acura needs to clean house and bring in a new lead designer that will bring a new corporate front end, and new identity to the exterior designs of the vehicle lineup.

Couldn't have said it better myself.
Old 11-30-2012, 02:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,947 Likes on 14,061 Posts
Friendly reminder to the participants in here: Keep it civil.

Again, I must stress that while you may not agree with an opinion you find outrageous, it is still just an opinion. You can choose two ways to deal with it: provide a counterpoint in a civil manner OR ignore the opinion you furiously disagree with.

Knock it off guys, the mod staff is getting impatient with the same crowd doing the same tomato-tossing.

Thanks.
The following 2 users liked this post by Yumcha:
MeehowsBRZ (11-30-2012), VTEC Racer (11-30-2012)
Old 11-30-2012, 02:34 PM
AZ Community Team

I don't think we need to assume.....I think the RLX is indeed targeted to go against the 5/E/GS, etc.

Correct, from the Hondanews PR and also states it's Acura's flagship.

"The flagship RLX sedan has up to three inches more rear legroom than competing models, including the BMW 535i, Lexus GS350 and Audi A6."

http://www.hondanews.com/channels/co...eles-auto-show

Haven't seen detailed photo's of the brakes yet, but didn't see 4 piston calipers mentioned in the PR.

Last edited by Legend2TL; 11-30-2012 at 02:39 PM.
Old 11-30-2012, 02:43 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
I love the tech, but just wish they would have applied a little more styling. Ill reserve more judgment when i start to see sales numbers but based on its looks im not sure its going to be much more successful than the last RL. I hope im wrong.
Old 11-30-2012, 03:28 PM
Midnight Marauder

Received 56 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by fsttyms1
I love the tech, but just wish they would have applied a little more styling. Ill reserve more judgment when i start to see sales numbers but based on its looks im not sure its going to be much more successful than the last RL. I hope im wrong.
Agreed, I sort of wish they would evolve the sharpish lines of the 3G TL and 1G TSX. Those designs still had the 5 point front end, but were sharp designs for their time, especially the TL. But in the end, the FWD architecture means the proportions will be off (long front overhang).
Old 11-30-2012, 03:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 114 Likes on 66 Posts
Until they evolve the drivetrain tech (move to FR) -- large front overhangs... disproportionate front to rear weight distribution, and poor packaging will continue.
Old 11-30-2012, 04:38 PM
brahs be jelly

Old 11-30-2012, 05:34 PM
The Third Ball

Just saw it in person at the autoshow.

Where at Acura's display every fucking car was BLACK except the NSX...it was the most dystopian display at the auto show from a major brand (although infiniti wasn't much better).

Acura placed the NSX concept as the highlight. And the RLX was on a display off to the side next to an ILX.

I can honestly say it a boring looking sedan. The front grille is horrendous. And while the quality of the interior is nice that dash buldges towards you like some pornstar waving his crotch in your face. Which is of course more than likely why VTECH Ricer loves it.

Nothing about this car shouts presence....except maybe its oversized out of shape tail lamps.

Looking at and sitting in a GS right after was such a huge relief. As was looking at the A6...and the current 5 series.

DOA.
Old 11-30-2012, 05:37 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
BLACK: Making ugly cars look not so ugly, since forever.

....just like the black dress on the fat chick....black hides so much.
Old 11-30-2012, 05:42 PM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
BLACK: Making ugly cars look not so ugly, since forever.

....just like the black dress on the fat chick....black hides so much.
I love black cars...two of my three current vehicles are black (the one that was just traded was also black)

That said....when you go to a booth to look at vehicles and you see no variety...its BORING...and in a darker atmosphere like the convention center...all that black sucks the life out of the display...and it does indeed feel like they are trying to hide something.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:02 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
So what have we learned, kids? Most people are not impressed with the RL's styling. What a surprise

Their lineup overlap is going to bite them in the ass later. More cars will generate more showroom traffic but when each model is that similar to the next they will only end up cannibalizing each other.

Acura just can't win. Instead of trying to emulate Lexus they should have just gone the Infiniti route and lopped off the RL entirely. Infiniti did the whole fancy LED headlight cluster with the Q45 and nobody gave a crap... here you see Acura doing the same thing albeit in a much less impressive fashion.

A bunch of impressive technology in an otherwise forgettable package.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:05 PM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by Costco
So what have we learned, kids? Most people are not impressed with the RL's styling. What a surprise

Their lineup overlap is going to bite them in the ass later. More cars will generate more showroom traffic but when each model is that similar to the next they will only end up cannibalizing each other.

Acura just can't win. Instead of trying to emulate Lexus they should have just gone the Infiniti route and lopped off the RL entirely. Infiniti did the whole fancy LED headlight cluster with the Q45 and nobody gave a crap... here you see Acura doing the same thing albeit in a much less impressive fashion.

A bunch of impressive technology in an otherwise forgettable package.
The problem is...Infiniti HAD a flagship to "lop off"
Old 11-30-2012, 06:07 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 846 Likes on 526 Posts
Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Yea, as I've been saying, a 4-door coupe based on the RLX is needed to satisfy people here. Acura obviously chose a more conservative design approach for the RLX following what happened to the 4G TL and ZDX. That's perfectly understandable. But to make people who want a sportier appearance with even more road presence, make a derivative from the RLX to compete with A7, CLS, 6 series gran coupe etc.

Anyway, IMO, I can see Honda going pretty much all out on the RLX based on the resources that they have. They are bringing back 4WS. They are being innovative with the sport hybrid system that gets you 30mpg in the city, 370hp, and instant torque. They team up with Krell for the audio system (I think the cheapest Amp that Krell offers is like $65k or something). At least Honda is trying to do well, rather than making an half @$$ attempt. At least they are finally putting words into action. This is not to say the RLX is flawless and it's the best in the class. Obviously it has its shortcomings too. But I'd just like to give credit where credit is due. It's great to see new innovations from Honda.

Last edited by iforyou; 11-30-2012 at 06:15 PM.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:10 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
The problem is...Infiniti HAD a flagship to "lop off"
Therein lies the rub... Acura can't even get the RL to take off. In comparison Infiniti has the M35/45, and it's worth keeping around apparently. I'm somehow made to believe that the RL is going to be the flagship, when in comparison it'll be competing with the likes of the E-Class, 5-series, A6, M, etc.

I don't see the RL as a flagship at all either. Who does?
Old 11-30-2012, 06:14 PM
The Third Ball

Yea, as I've been saying, a 4-door coupe based on the RLX is needed to satisfy people here. Acura obviously chose a more conservative design approach for the RLX following what happened to the 4G TL and ZDX. That's perfectly understandable. But to make people who want a sportier appearance with even more road presence, make a derivative from the RLX to compete with A7, CLS, 6 series gran coupe etc.
Thats because they cant find any balance. The TL and ZDX where extremes...the TL and overdone extreme of the 3rd gen, which is possibly one of the best acura designs ever.

The ONLY Acura there that impressed me was the NSX...it looks 100X better in person than in photographs.

I still dont think it will be the timeless design the OG is...but I was very impressed seeing with my own eyes vs how I've felt seeing photos the last few months.

Quick Reply: Acura: RLX News