Acura: RLX News

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 04:35 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 835 Likes on 519 Posts
^ I wouldn't consider Hyundai as the luxury division of Kia/Hyundai group, at least for now. In the future, may be, but not yet.

What you said about the RL is right, the marketing is the problem.

Obviously Honda knows what's going on with the Acura brand, that's why they are announcing plans for moving the brand image up and stuff like that. You don't see Mercedes saying how they want to be tier-1, do you?

I think you meant to say NSX should've been updated 10 years ago, instead of letting it die like that.
Old 03-26-2008, 05:21 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,143 Likes on 817 Posts
^^^^^ I meant to say that the NSX should not be axed even though the new replacement isn't here. The $90K "super" car is needed in the Acura lineup to maintain the Acura brand image. Give it more hp, lighten it further, make small improvements, refreshen the look.

A simple high horsepower V8/RWD car will do the job, as in the no frills Audi R8, nothing fancy. Why does Honda have to make the job so difficult for themselves for the new NSX which is dragging on forever ?
Old 03-26-2008, 08:50 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Yea, it's very sad to see the NSX being axed like that...I think that's more of a Honda decision in general, not really an Acura decision.

I think it is indeed difficult for Honda to redesign the NSX replacement. Think about it, it was such a great car, great design that it threatened Ferrari and Porsche. It really shamed those brands. Virtually every well known car enthusiast praised the car when it came out, including Gordon Murray, the designer of Mclaren F1. In fact, Gordon Murray used the NSX as its "template" when designing the Mclaren F1 (the article was posted on Acurazine before). He looked at designs from Porsche, from Ferrari, from Lambourgini, he was not satisfied with those. But as soon as he saw the NSX, he simply fell in love with it, and even asked Honda to build the engine for its Mclaren F1 (which Honda refused).

So, if they don't do a "way beyond expectations" job on the next NSX, then people would criticize it. To achieve the same level of "surprise" as the 1st gen NSX when it first came out, the new car must stun the world to an even higher level. Anything less, does not deserve the name, NSX.

In the meantime though, I agree, it would be nice to see a another sports car for the Acura line-up, just don't call it NSX though. It doesn't really have to be V8, V6 turbo would work (that is, if they can get the turbo right) and RWD would be good enough for me. Come to think about it, I don't recall Porsche having any sports cars with 8 cylinders (Cayenne is a SUV).
Old 04-01-2008, 11:04 PM
Honda Fanboy

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
I agree that the RL is a damn good car, but not good enough given it's price and it's competitiveness among others (at $50K they've gonna be luxury ones) within the same price range. Unfortunately it's a cruel world out there, if the car doesn't sell it ain't good enough as a package. Even if the RL has wings, if people don't buy it, there is obviously something wrong with the overall RL package. It is no use being able to compete as a car. It has got to be able to compete as a package. You can blame it on Acura, name, marketing, or even the buyers; but the end result remains the same.
Okay, you just summarized what I said but used different words to say it. CLEARLY, you agree with me. Thanks.

Acura's major shortcomings are the lack of V8 option and RWD for the RL, and set too expensive a price for the lackluster Acura brand image. Had the RL been offered as V6/RWD with a cheap base price, and with V8 and SH-AWD as options, it would become much more attractive to a more variaty of buyers.
Edward, Edward, EDWARD. You are not listening to me. If Acura already had a V8 and RWD option, we wouldn't be having this conversation right now. Acura would already be a Tier One company. Why do you keep repeating this "If Acura had..." rubbish? RWD+V8 in a luxury car is what the TIER ONE companies have. Acura had no intention of Tier One until NOW. I really don't know how else to explain this to you.

The RL's major shortcomings are the acceleration performance which is behind most V6/RWD competitors, and the lack of custom choice of options. As with all makes of AWD hardware available now, AWD is power-robbing and heavy, and is best suited to couple with high torque V8 engines to maintain an adequate level of acceleration performance. The RL's lame and heavy 290hp/256lbft V6/SH-AWD package is simply no match for other V6/RWD competitors. A high-output 350hp V6/SH-AWD would have definitely help here when V8/RWD is unavailable.
The RL is aimed SQUARELY at V6 AWD cars. What V6 AWD luxury car was out in 2004 that the RL couldn't out perform? Stop comparing apples to oranges.

On the other hand, a lighter and more efficient V6/RWD RL package would likely have shaved 1 sec off the time sheet. Those seeking maximum performance could opt for the even faster V8/RWD package, while those needed AWD capability could opt for either the slow V6/SH-AWD package or the fast V8/SH-AWD package. All recognized luxury makes have been doing this custom engine and driveline choices, and custom option choice for years to capture a hugh range of car buyers.
Here we go again... Read my second sentence again.

Whether I'm in the EXTREME minority group or not doesn't make no differece to the fact that the RL doesn't sell. Why I'm saying this is because I had shopped for $50K cars, and the 2nd gen RL was on my shopping list. Mine is first-hand real life experience; not just BS talks gathered from car forums, or people's think-up opinions who have never gone through a $50K car buying experience.
You have already made it clear that you didn't buy the RL simply because of the Acura name. Like I have already said, this is what Acura is trying to change.

Fine, if you think I bought the A6 just for the name, so be it. But isn't MB or BMW a even better name than Audi ? If I were to buy just the Audi name, I wouldn't even have considered the RL nor the M35x in the first place. I would just stomp into the Audi dealership and write a cheque for the A6 right away. It would have made my life much simpler. But shouldn't someone who spend $50K for a luxury car concern about the brand name too. The brand name itself carries some prestige which often is not possible to put a price on.
I don't think this, you SAID IT when you said you bought the A6 over the RL because you don't feel that the Acura nameplate was worth the extra couple thousand. The RL is better than the A6 in almost every aspect. You also have made it clear that you wan't people to know that your car is expensive when you spend $50k. For you, it is obvious that you are mainly looking for the bling factor. Your paragraph above says it VERY clearly.

I bought the A6 for it's notorious Quattro AWD, and the fact that I can custom order options according to my liking. It is one of the safest mid-size luxury car in collisions, according to Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. My wife had a nasty accident beforehand. It was real lucky that she was driving her dad's E320 at that time when another E320 driver fell asleep, ran a redlight, and broad-sided her dead center at the driver's door at full speed. Her car spinned many times around and finally stopped after hitting a curb, according to the withnesses. The E320's solid construction and multiple side-airbags all helped to save her life. Then I started realizing that life is more important than money, and then buy her a solid mid-size car.
Well since you know that the A6 is a safe car and have done your research on it, you would have seen that the IIHS rated the RL as the SAFEST car. Number One. The Quattro in Audi's are great, but SH-AWD is proven superior. So RL is safer and has a better AWD system. Again, shows that you just want the name. I'm not trying to bash the A6, I love it. However, I won't stand blind to the RL's superiority over it.

I opted for wood trim, headlight washer, heated rear seats, Xenon headlights, folding side mirrors, backup sensor, bigger wheels, etc. I didn't opt for useless stuffs like keyless start, navi, fancy stereo, S-line body trims, sport suspension, adjustable suspension, etc. The complete option list could easy add more than $10K to the base price of the car. When I'm to spend $50K for a car, I want to do it my way. I don't like being forced to cough out $$$ for stuffs that I don't want as in the full-loaded RL. In my case, my custom A6 was still $3K cheaper than the RL. Giving me loaded options, that I don't want, doesn't really add values to the car. Without custom option ordering put the RL in a very limited customer base. Note that not many Germans car buyers arm their cars to the teeth with options. This puts the fully-loaded RL is big disadvantage especially when buyers are looking for that "3/4 price" deal.
Yes, this is what I have said a bunch of times already. You are agreeing with me again. Thanks. I will also say it for the umpteenth time, if you want to see the RL's value, load up the competition equally and then compare prices. That is all I'm asking.

I'm sure there are a whole lot more $50K buyers out there buying the name over the car rather than buying the car over the name, as reflected from the dismay RL sales figure. The RL may be a better car than the A6, but the overall RL package not. Mind you I bought the A6 in the 3.2L-V6-Quattro trim because it's for my wife. If it is for myself, I would either have picked the 4.2L-V8-Q trim or the 5.2L-V10 S6. The RL simply has no upgrade path for my caterogy of buyers. Available V8 and RWD options is the only solution.
Yes, we've discussed this already. Several times.

As for the name problem, the RL is in even bad shape. People buy car just for the name will always buy the cheapest base model, and the fully-loaded RL becomes way too expensive to compete. However, Acura noticed this mistake and released the cheaper reduced-content RL trim last year. But it is too little, too late.
People don't buy the RL for the name, they but it for the remarkable car that it is. If the RL had a name, we wouldn't be having this discussion right now.

So the Acura name is bad enough. Why the hell does Honda have to release Tier 1 products after the new NSX which has constantly drifting release date ? Don't worry about the NSX. Start releasing Tier 1 products ASAP to rescue the withering Acura brand image. That's the only way to help sell cars priced in the luxury car price range.
It's just because of the way the model roll-out is. Acura isn't going to put the TSX and TL on a two year model cycle just so they can debut it before the NSX. Besides, when the NSX comes out, it will attract a lot of attention to Acura. It is AFTER the debut when they have the most attention from consumers that they would want to come out with their other cars also. IMO, you should always come out with your biggest and best and THEN roll out the smaller products that more people can afford. This would be the strategy that Acura needs to take to convince people to buy their cars based on name alone (like BMW).

I don't know when the luxury market starts having Tier-1 brands and non-Tier-1 brands. If you go back to the "Honda introduces the Acura brand" news releases some 20 years ago, it would always say Acura was the luxury division from Honda. No Tier-1 non-Tier-1 shit. The problem was that the Acura flagship sedan was released with the V6 FWD layout and remains the same up to this date, where Lexus and Infiniti flagship sedans were introduced with the V8 RWD layout. This put the Acura brand squarely into the near-luxury (or luxury-wanna-be) segment, whereas the Lexus and Infiniti are enjoying their presence among the true-luxury brands with V8/RWD option a must. Seeing this, Honda had been constantly talking about elevating the Acura brand for the past 5 or so years, but still refusing to develop proper V8 and RWD hardware.
Right. So you agree with me. Acura always WAS an entry-level luxury company. Again, if they had RWD and V8, we wouldn't be having this conversation right now.

So this year Honda invents this Tier-1 non-Tier-1 talk to repeat their intent, one more time again, of elevating the Acura brand. It is basically same shit, different skin.
No, it is not the same. When did Acura last say that they wanted to be a Tier One brand?

Remember how Lexus started off with the V8 RWD LS400 with a bargain price tag of $40K, 19 years ago. It was a bargain, it was well built, it was well received. It started to gain fame, it became famous. The car gradully became recoginized, and the brand also gradually became recognized. Over the stretch of years, Lexus gradually improved the LS even more, accompanied with subtle price increases. The LS continues to be highly praised, and the Lexus brand establishes firmly as a true luxury brand. Now the LS starts at $62K and tops out at $104K. It takes 19 years for Lexus to achieve what it is tody, no less.
Lexus is a marketing machine. Clearly there is no denying their success. However, Acura is not starting from zero like Lexus did in 1989. Acura won't need 19 years to be where Lexus is today.

Similarly, since the RL has never been well received in terms of sales, a $50K price tag will sure scare off many would-be buyers. A $40K price tag will sure lurk more buyers to sample how good the RL package is. Eventually it will gain fame, and be well received in terms of sales. This won't happen in a month nor a year. This is a long process. Remember the word "gradully". It takes Lexus 19 years to do it, and Lexus had started off with the right foot (V8 and RWD).
Read above.

The reason that I bought my TL-S 7 years ago was that it had 260hp and was adequately equipped for it's price. In fact it had no peers at 260hp at it's price range at that time. That generation TL was praised as best value everywhere and was also the best selling car in it's class continuously for years. However, 2 years later all other competitors had catch up with the TL-S. There hasn't been any no-peers-featured, bargain-priced car from Acura ever since, especially in the hp department.
Lets save this one for another day.

I have been looking for a new Acura to replace the TL-S. The 2nd gen RL would be a very good choice given 300hp/RWD or V8/SH-AWD, and a $40K base price with custom options. I'm still waiting but my patience is starting to wear thin. One good news is that the 2010 V8 RWD-platform does look appealing.
Maybe you should consider the Hyundai Genesis. It has pretty much everything you are looking for in a car at an outstanding price.
Old 05-02-2008, 06:14 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Hey guys. One of our posters took pix from an auto show in Korea showing the new Legend. The grille seems an improvement over the "Power Phlegm" grille we've got for the RL. I am hoping that they adopt this in the US if they're not going to change the grille to something we've suggested.

It's in our RL forum...
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5550
Old 05-02-2008, 06:15 PM
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
that grille is boring, but better than the 09 RL grille.
Old 05-02-2008, 06:28 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Well, being that that grille is very much like the one on the Euro Accord, I'd say it has zero chance of being on an Acura as standard equipment. Acuras are stuck with the power plenum grille, so as much as we don't like it, we better get used to it. Although now I suppose one can mod your RL grille with this one.
Old 05-02-2008, 06:31 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Originally Posted by LuvMyTSX
Although now I suppose one can mod your RL grille with this one.
I'm already preparing for the inevitable group buy.

"Power Phlegm" FTL!
Old 05-03-2008, 10:22 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
That grille is incredibly boring, it's the same crap that was pawned off on Acuras before their designers got serious.
Old 05-03-2008, 10:27 PM
What Would Don Draper Do?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
looks better.

but the car as a whole still looks boring, and it just makes it look even more like an accord.

when is the refreshed RL supposed to hit dealers anyways? i'm anxious to see what the sales numbers will be.

*heads off to RL forum to see if anyone's gonna buy it*
Old 05-04-2008, 08:51 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
meh
Old 05-04-2008, 11:00 AM
Go Big Blue!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by JediMindTricks
looks better.

but the car as a whole still looks boring, and it just makes it look even more like an accord.

when is the refreshed RL supposed to hit dealers anyways? i'm anxious to see what the sales numbers will be.
*heads off to RL forum to see if anyone's gonna buy it*
Supposed to be arriving this month.

I agree with most. It looks better but still not good. Like I said in the RL forum, I think the entire grill is just too big and out of allignment with the top of the headlights. Not much will fix that.
Old 05-05-2008, 12:37 AM
how handsome I am

It looks better, but I dont think anything could save this car right now. That whole design sans the rear end is gonna need a fucking lift... bad.
Old 05-05-2008, 01:03 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
@ the "new" grille
Old 05-05-2008, 03:22 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,143 Likes on 817 Posts
This Honda Legend grille looks much nicer than the North American Acura RL grille.
Old 05-05-2008, 03:34 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
Oddly, the first impression I got from that Legend grille was the 1st gen CL.
Old 05-05-2008, 05:31 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
is that a RL or Genesis?
Old 05-05-2008, 06:20 PM
Race Director

honda needs to hire some designers from Nissan or Toyota, cause that Legend isn't a Legend at all, looks like a freaking Honda Accord.
Old 05-07-2008, 06:20 PM
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
so.. past 4 pages, I didn't see this picture... my bad if it's a repost..

Old 05-07-2008, 06:26 PM
Pinky all stinky

I can't wait to see the sales number for this mmc RL.
Old 05-07-2008, 06:30 PM
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Above link somehow doesn't work anymore. Here it is.

source: www.bobaedream.co.kr
Old 05-07-2008, 06:38 PM
nnInn

Received 1,084 Likes on 646 Posts
I'm really liking that backend.
Old 05-07-2008, 06:46 PM
Pinky all stinky

Originally Posted by yohan81718
Above link somehow doesn't work anymore. Here it is.

source: www.bobaedream.co.kr
it works, now stop posting it
Old 05-07-2008, 09:27 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

if only the front is as handsome as the back....
Old 05-08-2008, 07:26 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by iforyou
if only the front is as handsome as the back....
I thought he was talking about the girl???
Old 05-08-2008, 08:28 AM
Race Director

yeah, but you can't see the girls face.
Old 05-08-2008, 08:37 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Mokos23
She probably doesn't have an ugly schnoz like the new RL though.
Old 05-08-2008, 11:46 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by mrdeeno
She probably doesn't have an ugly schnoz like the new RL though.

hahahah
Old 05-08-2008, 11:59 AM
99 TL, 06 E350

Received 164 Likes on 110 Posts
someone post more photos of the girl...i lost interest with the car in 2001.
Old 05-08-2008, 01:27 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Originally Posted by Mokos23
exactly
Old 05-08-2008, 01:58 PM

2005-2008 RL: front end looks really good. rear is boring.
2009 RL: rear looks really good. front end looks boring.

Old 05-08-2008, 02:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by JediMindTricks
2005-2008 RL: front end looks really good. rear is boring.
2009 RL: rear looks really good. front end looks boring.

i actually knew a girl like that back in high school. her face looked good but her body needed some work. I saw her again a couple years after college and her body now looked smokin, but she aged poorly.
Old 05-08-2008, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by mrdeeno
i actually knew a girl like that back in high school. her face looked good but her body needed some work. I saw her again a couple years after college and her body now looked smokin, but she aged poorly.
Old 06-11-2008, 09:49 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
http://www.leftlanenews.com/acura-rl-future.html

The Acura RL received a facelift a few months ago in preparation for the 2009 model year, but that hasn't stopped Acura engineers from proceeding full speed ahead with a complete redesign for the 2011 model year. The all-new RL will be the first ever Acura to use a rear-wheel-drive platform as its basis. Our newest spy photos show a test mule for the new chassis, with body components donated from the new TSX.

Recent rumors also indicate the car will come equipped with Acura's first ever V8 — a 420 horsepower 4.8-liter range-topping unit. Other more economical engines are also expected to be offered. An optional RWD-based version of Honda's SH-AWD system is expected to be offered.

The RWD nature of this car is plain to see. Take note of the large space between the front door and the front wheel, for example. While the test mule pictured looks like a Frankenstein TSX, the final RL will have completely new styling unique to it. Since the Advanced Sedan Concept was unpopular to say the least, designers are believed to have hone back to the drawing board.
Old 06-11-2008, 09:51 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Most definitely a Frankenstein platform.
Old 06-11-2008, 10:01 AM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
holy body roll batman
Old 06-11-2008, 10:03 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sounds good, I hope it looks like that one concept picture floating around. That combined with a 4.8L V8 would be a winner for sure.
Old 06-11-2008, 10:10 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by phee
holy body roll batman

You realize they probably just started testing and its 3 years out from production.
Old 06-11-2008, 10:43 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

The rear tires seem to be wider than the front...or is it just the camera angle? I thought the body roll isn't that bad, have you seen the Best Motoring video of the TL-S at Willow Springs? That has even more body roll, yet it achieved a very respectable lap time.
Old 06-11-2008, 10:45 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Call me in 2010 :wink:

Quick Reply: Acura: RLX News