Acura: NSX News

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 06:58 PM
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Fibonacci
The big announcement did seem quite anticlimactic and lacking in details such as curb weight.

Totally agree. But then again, the gal that brought us the spectacular ZDX was trotted out for another design home run.

^I was under the impression that she was in charge of exterior design.

Originally Posted by TSX69

Michelle Christensen wanted to get into the automotive design program at Pasadena's Art Center College of Design. So admissions officers asked her for a portfolio of car sketches.

She had none.

Apparently she's a quick study. Now 34, Christensen has designed the new Acura NSX, a Ferrari-fighting supercar making its world debut Monday at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit.

"The design had to enhance the function of the car," says Michelle Christensen, who designed Acura's 2nd-generation NSX. "It forced me to grow as a designer." Above, a mock-up of the revamped supercar. (Bob Chamberlin / Los Angeles Times)

She is the first female exterior designer at Acura but doesn't believe that gender makes much difference in car design. "Even the guys here will talk about shoes," she said.

Originally Posted by AZuser
Now I know why it looks IMO a bit plain to me... Michelle Christensen had a hand in the design. This is the same person who designed the ZDX.

Front end isn't bad, but the back (mainly the upper tail light area) has no character at all. Side profile looks okay. Maybe I just need to see it in person.

You know, I was on the bandwagon of ZDX haters when it was in production (I cheered when it was axed). Over the years my tastes have changed, and the ZDX grew on me a lot - I appreciate for what it was, and I'm actually bummed that it's no longer in production.

So, because of that, I retract whatever negative opinions I had on Christensen's design. I didn't realize she worked on the new NSX (I thought she moved to GM?)

Is it perfect? Not quite - I don't like the 4-in-1 exhaust tips. I'd prefer the single big one (but on a positive note, HEY LOOK, NO HIDDEN EXHAUSTS!) I don't like the Jewel-Eye cluster + LED DRL...I think the Jewel-Eye looks cleaner as a stand-alone cluster (like in the concept photos). I think the side intakes could be larger, more aggressive.

With all that said, you know what, I think she did a fine job on the final version. She integrated the beak, but kept it to a minimum (come on, that's no small feat!). I love the front and side profile stance. And the rear? I like it (apart from the exhaust mentioned above). It's clean, understated. I really think the Accord-tails comparisons are a bit much...

Overall? I think it's hot. Unfortunate that Acura decided to reveal it after the Ford GT, but people just need to stop with the dick-measuring. The automotive world just got two of its beloved iconic cars back. Let's celebrate that, no?

With all that said, let's hand the keys over to Fernando and Jenson for them to thrash a pair of NSXes at Suzuka.

Originally Posted by ttribe
Anyone else get really tired of the "corporate speak" in that video? For me, the especially nauseating thing was the repeated reference to Acura's "core values"...as if they've elucidated what those are and how they've shaped the company in the past, not to mention why we should care what they are now.

Oh, and the sycophantic appealing to the American market had to be a turnoff to anyone outside the U.S.

Agreed, who does Acura think they're fooling? Any enthusiast (Acura, or otherwise) can detect that line of fluff a mile out. Reminds me of Marek's comments about how they "need
a sport car, not a sports car" or how they need "to tell the world that Acura is a performance brand."
Old 01-12-2015, 07:08 PM
I feel the need...

Received 515 Likes on 363 Posts
Originally Posted by Mugen.Justice
^I was under the impression that she was in charge of exterior design.

So, because of that, I retract whatever negative opinions I had on Christensen's design. I didn't realize she worked on the new NSX (I thought she moved to GM?)
I recall reading she had moved on too, but they brought her back? If she designed the interior, I stand corrected.

I don't like the Jewel-Eye cluster + LED DRL...I think the Jewel-Eye looks cleaner as a stand-alone cluster (like in the concept photos).
Agreed, no need for the added strip. Last years concept looked cleaner.

With all that said, you know what, I think she did a fine job on the final version. She integrated the beak, but kept it to a minimum (come on, that's no small feat!).
Agreed on the plenum minimization, that is a definite plus.

Overall? I think it's hot. Unfortunate that Acura decided to reveal it after the Ford GT, but people just need to stop with the dick-measuring. The automotive world just got two of its beloved iconic cars back. Let's celebrate that, no?

With all that said, let's hand the keys over to Fernando and Jenson for them to thrash a pair of NSXes at Suzuka.

Now let's talk shoes, shall we...
Old 01-12-2015, 07:11 PM
I feel the need...

Originally Posted by srika
To anyone it may apply to. I realize it's a strong word that could be taken personally.
ttribe's mo is he's always looking for an implied personal insult to defend.
Old 01-12-2015, 07:11 PM
brahs be jelly

Received 247 Likes on 169 Posts

I have faith that this will be a great car. Will it be like a 911 GT3? No. Will it be like a Ferrari 458? No. Will it be like a BMW i8? I hope not.

It will be an Acura NSX. It will be a perennially underrated, mediocre in a straight line, slow-selling, unpretentious, overpriced Honduh. That doesn't mean it won't be a great car though.

I'm just tired of waiting.
Old 01-12-2015, 07:20 PM
I feel the need...

Originally Posted by MTEAZY
It will be an Acura NSX.

Cue teh BRZ mafia.
Old 01-12-2015, 07:29 PM
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts
Personally, if they were going to spend money on celebrity appearances...I would've shelled out the extra $$ for Robert Downey Jr. Roll out in full Tony Stark mode, make a splash like only Tony can.
The following users liked this post:
FamilyGuy (01-13-2015)
Old 01-12-2015, 08:03 PM

Received 5,885 Likes on 2,900 Posts
To anyone it may apply to. I realize it's a strong word that could be taken personally.
Okay.

Originally Posted by Fibonacci
ttribe's mo is he's always looking for an implied personal insult to defend.
Oh, shut up.
Old 01-12-2015, 08:28 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
I watched it live....anti-climactic now.
Old 01-12-2015, 08:50 PM
Midnight Marauder

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts
It's got a tailpipe! Seriously though, it's hard to get excited by a car that far out of my price range. Come on Honda, capitalize on this halo car by making more attainable cars with good performance!
Old 01-12-2015, 09:31 PM
CLS^6

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
Personally, I think the Ford GT looks kinda goofy and some elements seem rushed. Tadge Jeuchter went as far as to say some elements on the exterior will have to change.
Don't get me wrong, I love the last gen GT.

I think they nailed the NSX exterior.

I am pissed however, they didn't reveal specs.

Maybe the silver lining here is that they will be able "up" the final stats depending on future reveals from Audi/Ferrari. The Geneva motor show will be interesting.
Old 01-12-2015, 09:32 PM
Pro

Received 157 Likes on 136 Posts
Acura just announced a sports car with *550+ hp* and you guys are still mostly "meh" about it. You'll never be happy with Acura for your own bitter reasons and always stay cemented in your views. And that's a shame. When word of this new NSX first started swirling, I am pretty sure we thought it would have around 400 hp. Yes that was some years ago, before the current state of HP. But even said, 550 is generous.
I agree! It is a shame reading this thread and I see the same people hating, and going out of their way to find anything to be critical of, yet these folks cannot pony up the money to buy the new NSX or its competitors. I am extremely pleased with the new NSX, and I think Acura has done a great job executing not only the gorgeous styling, but also the technological hybrid drivetrain. I have, myself, been critical of Acura's poor executions in years past, but I must give credit where credit is due. Great job on the new NSX, and I look forward to new products from Acura, in hope of seeing the same brilliance displayed in the NSX on future models.
Old 01-12-2015, 10:19 PM
Some dude

Received 347 Likes on 203 Posts
Originally Posted by HDNBenjamin
I agree! It is a shame reading this thread and I see the same people hating, and going out of their way to find anything to be critical of, yet these folks cannot pony up the money to buy the new NSX or its competitors. I am extremely pleased with the new NSX, and I think Acura has done a great job executing not only the gorgeous styling, but also the technological hybrid drivetrain. I have, myself, been critical of Acura's poor executions in years past, but I must give credit where credit is due. Great job on the new NSX, and I look forward to new products from Acura, in hope of seeing the same brilliance displayed in the NSX on future models.
lol, so if someone can't afford a car they're not allowed to talk about it. That's the douchiest fanboy logic I've heard in a while.
juniorbean (01-15-2015)
Old 01-12-2015, 10:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,653 Likes on 13,892 Posts
Originally Posted by HDNBenjamin
No one has "hated" on the car per se. Just griping that Honda sure could've stopped being so tongue-in-cheek with the car's specifications?

That's not hating.

No one is saying this car sucks. No idea where srika, you and others are perceiving that in today's reveal.
ttribe (01-12-2015)
Old 01-12-2015, 10:25 PM
Senior Moderator

It is a strong word. It solidifies and bonds. Let's see you get out of a cement block.
Old 01-12-2015, 10:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Old 01-13-2015, 05:28 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,031 Likes on 2,507 Posts
Originally Posted by iforyou
My understanding is that they want to see what the next 458 will have in March (and some other cars) before confirming the numbers. The first NSX when it first came out had 250hp, but Ferrari later came out with the 348 to replace the 328, and Honda had to add VTEC to the 1G NSX to boost the power to 270hp.
Minor correction, the NSX's production motor initially came out with 3L 270HP and already had VTEC, later 3.2L and 300HP.
Old 01-13-2015, 07:38 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by suspekt360
Personally, I think the Ford GT looks kinda goofy and some elements seem rushed. Tadge Jeuchter went as far as to say some elements on the exterior will have to change.
Don't get me wrong, I love the last gen GT.

I think they nailed the NSX exterior.

I am pissed however, they didn't reveal specs.

Maybe the silver lining here is that they will be able "up" the final stats depending on future reveals from Audi/Ferrari. The Geneva motor show will be interesting.

+1, I'm a little biased and didn't care for the Ford GT 1G too much (too retro) in person or pictures. The GT 2G looks better but still sorta reminds me of "Speed Racer"

The NSX looks good overall, the beak got toned down which is good. In pictures the lines flow pretty well. It's not too retro to the 1G NSX, and introduced some new original elements. Interior I also like, tasteful and not too busy like the 1G.
Old 01-13-2015, 07:52 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by Yumcha

Some interesting tech notes
  1. 75o V6, weird angle for balance but it's a purpose built block and not a J series with DOHC heads
  2. CF floor pans like the C7, 2D component which works well for production and curing ovens
  3. The rear transaxle is huge, know it integrates the rear electric drive motor but it's really big
  4. Gordon Murray would complain the steering rack is in front of the axle. Not the best for mass centralization, although the brake calipers are mounted toward the center.
  5. Nice to see 6/4 piston calipers and cermaic composite brakes which I assume are standard
  6. Batteries are in the same place as the P1 (behind the seats)
  7. Presume the suspension will be DWB front/rear

Last edited by Legend2TL; 01-13-2015 at 07:57 AM.
Old 01-13-2015, 08:39 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Anyone else get really tired of the "corporate speak" in that video? For me, the especially nauseating thing was the repeated reference to Acura's "core values"...as if they've elucidated what those are and how they've shaped the company in the past, not to mention why we should care what they are now.

Oh, and the sycophantic appealing to the American market had to be a turnoff to anyone outside the U.S.
It was b/c of this I could not stand to watch the entire video. I did watch it hoping to get info... but I felt like I was in a meeting at an MLM company and not one of the most important automotive launches to get Acura back on the map. The best part of the video was near the beginning when it was just sitting on the turntable revving its engine. But once the "presentation" started, all excitement quickly turned to boredom.

Also, and I have not looked at the styling very carefully... but I would have thought there would be more nods to the original NSX in its design. Other then part of the taillight running the width of the rear, I'm not seeing anything. I always thought car companies would pay homage to a previous model when they resurrect it with some design elements, but I could be missing it...
Old 01-13-2015, 08:56 AM
The Dumb One

Received 373 Likes on 249 Posts
FYI - The "Nazis" and the Japanese were on the same side during WWII.
they're on the same planet too, whats your point?

there wasn't exactly an international automotive competition during WWII
Old 01-13-2015, 09:02 AM
Some dude

Can we expect full specs at Geneva? Its kind of weird to me that they showed basically the same car we've seen since 2011 (with nice wheels and a real color for once!) and still no actual performance numbers.
Old 01-13-2015, 09:04 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
As long as they dont market it as "Its that kind of Thrill" then give us something average ill wait to pass overall judgment. Styling, doesnt look bad, wish the rear had a little more something. Power, i can see why they didnt release actual figures. They have some time to up them, lets see what some of the upcoming competition starts releasing. Sounds like there is some room to bump the figures up. Curb weight would have been nice to know to give a little indication of its possibilities. I hope by them bench marking certain cars, they far exceeded them so that they arent trailing the upcoming models being released.
Old 01-13-2015, 09:10 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by MeehowsBRZ
Can we expect full specs at Geneva? Its kind of weird to me that they showed basically the same car we've seen since 2011 (with nice wheels and a real color for once!) and still no actual performance numbers.
Oh im sure they will take that color off the boxes to check when buying. Just like they did with the TLX
The following 3 users liked this post by fsttyms1:
crazyasiantl (01-13-2015), RPhilMan1 (01-13-2015), ttribe (01-13-2015)
Old 01-13-2015, 09:12 AM
The Dumb One

im just excited they didn't go full derp on the wheels like they do on most cars these days.
Old 01-13-2015, 09:13 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 595 Likes on 408 Posts
Luv the exterior and interior design, though the seats' shoulders look a bit large and bulky on the photos, and performance numbers look solid. What's up with the wheel design? That style's been around for a while. New wheels and this car will look even better.

$150k price tag
Old 01-13-2015, 09:17 AM
The Dumb One

somebody made the GTA V version.
Old 01-13-2015, 09:33 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 595 Likes on 408 Posts
Bring back the concept's steering wheel please - at least do perforated leather on the sides and a CF piece up top. And maybe the black plastic grill pieces' design too, this one looks a bit chicken wire.

This car will look butter with just a few touches.

Now, if only Acura would carry this ideology / performance to other models...

Last edited by FamilyGuy; 01-13-2015 at 09:45 AM.
Old 01-13-2015, 09:50 AM
2024 Honda Civic Type R

Received 1,454 Likes on 923 Posts
Why did they include the silver beak? It would look much better with just the black grille there.

Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
Japan is a dying country.
Just curious, but why is that so?
Old 01-13-2015, 09:59 AM
The Dumb One

radiation I hear
Old 01-13-2015, 10:07 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,328 Likes on 1,308 Posts
Lack of children. Too much hentai.
Old 01-13-2015, 10:25 AM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
Originally Posted by FamilyGuy
Now, if only Acura would carry this ideology / performance to other models...
Please. A halo car is no good if they don't borrow pieces of it for the lower models.
FamilyGuy (01-13-2015)
Old 01-13-2015, 10:39 AM
Engineer

Received 76 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by kurtatx
Please. A halo car is no good if they don't borrow pieces of it for the lower models.
I've got to disagree with you. It should define the direction of future models. Lower models should inherit the design traits and advancement of the halo car.

This is Acura's opportunity to be a bit risky and try some new things, rather than dig into the existing parts bin.

Lexus used the LFA to drive their new look and direction. Audi did it with the R8. BMW is doing it with the i8.
The following 2 users liked this post by savage:
FamilyGuy (01-13-2015), ttribe (01-13-2015)
Old 01-13-2015, 10:42 AM

Received 5,885 Likes on 2,900 Posts
Originally Posted by Rockstar21
they're on the same planet too, whats your point?

there wasn't exactly an international automotive competition during WWII
It was a pointless response to your pointless statement. They deserved one another.
Old 01-13-2015, 10:54 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Originally Posted by juniorbean

Also, and I have not looked at the styling very carefully... but I would have thought there would be more nods to the original NSX in its design. Other then part of the taillight running the width of the rear, I'm not seeing anything. I always thought car companies would pay homage to a previous model when they resurrect it with some design elements, but I could be missing it...
There are some other things, such as, the "NSX" badge on the side glass of the car... It's more or less in the same place the 1G had. Also, with the side rear windows, the whole glass section (at least from the side) has that fighter jet look to it like he 1G had. Beyond that, yeah, it's pretty much all new.
Old 01-13-2015, 10:59 AM
2014 TL SH-AWD Advance

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Legend2TL
Minor correction, the NSX's production motor initially came out with 3L 270HP and already had VTEC, later 3.2L and 300HP.
If you're correcting someone you should have all the facts straight. And, the auto DID only have 252HP so he could've been talking about that one. The later 3.2 bumped it to only 290 not 300.
Old 01-13-2015, 11:10 AM
Some dude

Originally Posted by juniorbean
I think the GT looks way more like an NSX successor than the actual NSX.

somebody made the GTA V version.
For once in my life I actually like the stock wheels on an Acura more than aftermarket ones.
Old 01-13-2015, 11:18 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,328 Likes on 1,308 Posts
Originally Posted by 03sixer
If you're correcting someone you should have all the facts straight. And, the auto DID only have 252HP so he could've been talking about that one. The later 3.2 bumped it to only 290 not 300.
The original statement was correct, please re-read it.

VTEC was added before final production to increase the power from about 250 hp to 270 hp.
Old 01-13-2015, 11:42 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 9,968 Likes on 5,137 Posts
  1. 75o V6, weird angle for balance but it's a purpose built block and not a J series with DOHC heads
  2. CF floor pans like the C7, 2D component which works well for production and curing ovens
  3. The rear transaxle is huge, know it integrates the rear electric drive motor but it's really big
  4. Gordon Murray would complain the steering rack is in front of the axle. Not the best for mass centralization, although the brake calipers are mounted toward the center.
  5. Nice to see 6/4 piston calipers and cermaic composite brakes which I assume are standard
  6. Batteries are in the same place as the P1 (behind the seats)
  7. Presume the suspension will be DWB front/rear
nice list.

also not sure it was mentioned the oddity of unequal half shafts at the rear..
im just excited they didn't go full derp on the wheels like they do on most cars these days.
Yeah pretty happy with the wheels on the final version. One thing I hated on the concepts were the wheels. While the final version is similar to today's popular designs, I don't have a problem with that because it works with the car.
Old 01-13-2015, 11:44 AM
The Dumb One

It was a pointless response to your pointless statement. They deserved one another.
oh.... so its like dividing 0
Old 01-13-2015, 11:51 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
Originally Posted by 03sixer
Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
The original statement was correct, please re-read it.

VTEC was added before final production to increase the power from about 250 hp to 270 hp.
NA1 came out with 270hp. the 4AT model had 252hp. And the NA2 6MT had 290hp in North America. All of that is true.

But I wasn't talking about that. Like Ken is saying, VTEC wasn't in the 1989 NSX prototype, and that limited the output to 250hp. However, in response to the rumours that Ferrari would upgrade its 270hp 328GTB to 300 hp 348tb, VTEC was eventually carried over from the Japan-bounded CRX and Integra, hence adding 20 more horses.

Does that sound familiar? Ferrari is upgrading (replacing) the 458 Italia with something else that makes 650hp, and if the original goal of the NSX is 580hp, then Acura might need to respond with upping the output too. If Acura had announced 580hp yesterday, and the 458 Italia comes with 650hp, then Acura would have to FOLLOW Ferrari. Apparently, "FOLLOW" is not what people here want.

I think if it was NA, the ideally 90 degrees would be good for lower CG.

But with TT, 75 degrees allows for better packaging to go 75 degree by providing more room for the two turbos and piping between the heads and the floor. Going to 60 degrees would mean higher/worse CG.

The Honda/HPD Indy HR22t and HR22tt have the same 75 degree angle.

I think the tradeoff is smoothness. But that's fine since this is a sports car, not a luxury sedan.

Quick Reply: Acura: NSX News