Acura: Integra News

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2021, 02:03 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,433 Likes on 1,881 Posts
Originally Posted by SamDoe1
A twin turbo setup is to reduce lag by making the impellers smaller as they need to pass less flow through each bank of the engine. A twin scroll accomplishes the same task by having two different impellers in the same housing. Other than sounding more fancy, a twin turbo setup is no better or worse than a twin scroll.
Twin turbos generally have a higher ceiling than a single twin scroll turbo. There's a reason why high performance cars use TTs and not a single twin-scroll turbo. Even with two impellers, the single twin-scroll turbo is still just a single turbo in terms of the maximum amount of air it's able to flow efficiently. It operates kind of like sequential twin turbos, except the second (larger) turbo is the size of the (smaller) single turbo.

I can't think of any high performance variant using a twin-scroll instead of a TT setup. BMW M, Audi RS, Merc 63 AMG, CT4-V Blackwing, Alfa QV, Porsche Turbo (excluding the Taycan), hell even the NSX are all TTs. That new 3.5L turbo Lexus is reportedly going to be putting in all their F cars is a TT too.

Last edited by fiatlux; 11-18-2021 at 02:13 PM.
Old 11-18-2021, 02:41 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
Originally Posted by fiatlux
Twin turbos generally have a higher ceiling than a single twin scroll turbo. There's a reason why high performance cars use TTs and not a single twin-scroll turbo. Even with two impellers, the single twin-scroll turbo is still just a single turbo in terms of the maximum amount of air it's able to flow efficiently. It operates kind of like sequential twin turbos, except the second (larger) turbo is the size of the (smaller) single turbo.

I can't think of any high performance variant using a twin-scroll instead of a TT setup. BMW M, Audi RS, Merc 63 AMG, CT4-V Blackwing, Alfa QV, Porsche Turbo (excluding the Taycan), hell even the NSX are all TTs. That new 3.5L turbo Lexus is reportedly going to be putting in all their F cars is a TT too.

Yah TT makes sense if it is V8 or V10 or V12... on a 6 cylinders, it does not really matter. It is just whatever the manuf. decided to do. A single Twinscroll turbo is just as capable as any TT in stock form but with less hardware and less weight. (See M340i)

In the aftermarket world, if you REALLY want to upgrade power out of a 6 cylinder, you need single turbo since you cannot realistically put 2 huge upgraded turbos in a 6 cylinders engine and still expect the car to be drivable.

A modified single turbo B58 is just as capable as a modified Twinturbo S58.. at the end of the day it is just the size of the turbo, tuning and other supporting components.

But to say Twinturbo is somehow better or have higher celling than Single turbo is not accurate.

Last edited by oonowindoo; 11-18-2021 at 02:46 PM.
Old 11-18-2021, 02:45 PM
Team Owner

A twin turbo setup is to reduce lag by making the impellers smaller as they need to pass less flow through each bank of the engine. A twin scroll accomplishes the same task by having two different impellers in the same housing. Other than sounding more fancy, a twin turbo setup is no better or worse than a twin scroll.

Agreed.
Old 11-18-2021, 04:15 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by oonowindoo
Yah TT makes sense if it is V8 or V10 or V12... on a 6 cylinders, it does not really matter. It is just whatever the manuf. decided to do. A single Twinscroll turbo is just as capable as any TT in stock form but with less hardware and less weight. (See M340i)

In the aftermarket world, if you REALLY want to upgrade power out of a 6 cylinder, you need single turbo since you cannot realistically put 2 huge upgraded turbos in a 6 cylinders engine and still expect the car to be drivable.

A modified single turbo B58 is just as capable as a modified Twinturbo S58.. at the end of the day it is just the size of the turbo, tuning and other supporting components.

But to say Twinturbo is somehow better or have higher celling than Single turbo is not accurate.
So...why does the S58 use a TT and B58 use a twin scroll? Why does the RS cars and Porsche use a TT for their 2.9 V6? Why does Alfa use a TT for their V6? And why does Acura use a TT for the V6 in the NSX? All the cars (other than the AMG cars) are 6cyl, and all have TTs.
Old 11-18-2021, 04:41 PM
Team Owner

There are many reasons to use it other than performance itself.
Can BMW makes the M3 as fast with 1 twinscroll Turbo instead of 2 Turbos? If the answer is Yes, then you just answered your own question.

1. Twinturbo sounds fancy... so it makes you feel you are getting your $$ worth. If you are gonna charge more, you need to make it at least on paper you are getting more.
2. More differentiation from the lower trim models.
3. Tradition

If you use M340i for example, it really does not take much to be at the same level as M3 in terms of straight line acceleration ... all you need is a mild tune, DP, exhaust. That will give you about 460 whp with single turbo. That is without upgrading the turbo itself.
So if BMW wanted to go that route with M3, they could have and It will just be as fast. But i personally would keep the TT set up for M3.. just to make M3 customers happy and they could feel they are driving something really unique... at the end of the day, they are paying for it.

In the old days, TT was less laggy than Single and that was the main reason to go with TT. But now in 2021, that is not even an issue anymore. You have Twin scroll, Electricity and other ways to make up for it. Most of the modern single turbo performance cars makes peak torque at less than 2000 rpm and it takes no time to spool up the turbo.

Last edited by oonowindoo; 11-18-2021 at 04:55 PM.
Old 11-18-2021, 04:58 PM
Ex-OEM King

Received 6,097 Likes on 4,001 Posts

A lot of it has to do with displacement. A twin scroll turbo isn't going to be able to flow a large displacement motor like a big V8. The rest of it has to do with engine architecture, ECU architecture, and space/packaging.

If there's room in the car and budget for a two turbo setup, that's better than a twin scroll as it'll respond a bit faster and move air more freely. The best is a twin twin scroll set up but those are expensive.

So...why does the S58 use a TT and B58 use a twin scroll? Why does the RS cars and Porsche use a TT for their 2.9 V6? Why does Alfa use a TT for their V6? And why does Acura use a TT for the V6 in the NSX? All the cars (other than the AMG cars) are 6cyl, and all have TTs.
I honestly don't know why they went to a single turbo for the B58. My guess is it was to flow more air.
Old 11-18-2021, 05:03 PM
Safety Car

There are many reasons to use it other than performance itself.
Can BMW makes the M3 as fast with 1 twinscroll Turbo instead of 2 Turbos? If the answer is Yes, then you just answered your own question.

1. Twinturbo sounds fancy... so it makes you feel you are getting your $$ worth. If you are gonna charge more, you need to make it at least on paper you are getting more.
2. More differentiation from the lower trim models.
3. Tradition

If you use M340i for example, it really does not take much to be at the same level as M3 in terms of straight line acceleration ... all you need is a mild tune, DP, exhaust. That will give you about 460 whp with single turbo. That is without upgrading the turbo itself.
So if BMW wanted to go that route with M3, they could have and It will just be as fast. But i personally would keep the TT set up for M3.. just to make M3 customers happy and they could feel they are driving something really unique... at the end of the day, they are paying for it.

In the old days, TT was less laggy than Single and that was the main reason to go with TT. But now in 2021, that is not even an issue anymore. You have Twin scroll, Electricity and other ways to make up for it. Most of the modern single turbo performance cars makes peak torque at less than 2000 rpm and it takes no time to spool up the turbo.
99% of buyers don't know the difference between TwinPower and twin turbos (hell just look at how many enthusiasts think the Type S has a twin turbo), so the marketing angle doesn't hold much water.
Old 11-18-2021, 05:13 PM
Team Owner

99% of buyers don't know the difference between TwinPower and twin turbos (hell just look at how many enthusiasts think the Type S has a twin turbo), so the marketing angle doesn't hold much water.
It did.. the fact they called it Twinscroll have already confused enough ppl. I remember so many people were confused when BMW went from N54 to N55 (TT to Twinscroll)

All marketing. i am sure they named it TWINscroll on purpose.

If i were to buy one of those top trim performance cars like M3 or 911 TT, i would not wanna share engine with the commoners like M340i or whatever inferior model trims in VW/Audi/Porsche line up.
That reason alone is enough for those manuf. to continue to differentiate those top trims.

Last edited by oonowindoo; 11-18-2021 at 05:18 PM.
Old 11-18-2021, 06:21 PM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Acura had big shoes to fill using the Intergra name and they royally let everyone down by slapping a giant sticker on a civic and ta-da.. Your new Intergra. the biggest F-You to everyone out there.. They wouldn't have such a back lash if they called it the next ILX or something else. The internet had a field day with this. Acura needs to get their shit together. Enough already.
The following 2 users liked this post by 04WDPSeDaN:
civicdrivr (11-18-2021), ttribe (11-19-2021)
Old 11-19-2021, 12:30 AM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,152 Likes on 823 Posts
It did.. the fact they called it Twinscroll have already confused enough ppl. I remember so many people were confused when BMW went from N54 to N55 (TT to Twinscroll)

All marketing. i am sure they named it TWINscroll on purpose.

If i were to buy one of those top trim performance cars like M3 or 911 TT, i would not wanna share engine with the commoners like M340i or whatever inferior model trims in VW/Audi/Porsche line up.
That reason alone is enough for those manuf. to continue to differentiate those top trims.
Using Porsche as an example, there is a huge difference in terms of output power for single-turbo V6 engines versus twin-turbo V6 engines.

Its 3.0L single-turbo V6 generates 335hp and 332 lb-ft torque, whereas its 2.9L twin-turbo V6 generates 434hp and 405 lb-ft torque. That is a whopping difference of almost 100hp with one additional turbocharger, even with 100cc less engine displacement. Incidentally, the Honda J-series single-turbo, twin-scroll, DOHC, direct-injection, 3L-V6 engine also generates 335hp.

In fact, even with today's engine technology, it is still not possible for a single-turbo (with or without twin-scroll) 3L-V6 mass production engine to crank out 400+ hp. But a twin-turbo 3L-V6 can, with a dedicated turbocharger or supercharger located on each bank of the 400+ hp V6 engine,

This is more than marketing ploy. With almost 100 additional hp to play with, even my grannies can tell the difference between a 335hp single-turbo V6 vehicle and a 435hp twin-turbo V6 vehicle, at the very moment when one steps on the gas pedal.

Last edited by Edward'TLS; 11-19-2021 at 12:39 AM.
Old 11-19-2021, 01:20 AM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
Originally Posted by 04WDPSeDaN
Acura had big shoes to fill using the Intergra name and they royally let everyone down by slapping a giant sticker on a civic and ta-da.. Your new Intergra. the biggest F-You to everyone out there.. They wouldn't have such a back lash if they called it the next ILX or something else. The internet had a field day with this. Acura needs to get their shit together. Enough already.
Can't help but think someone in marketing thought calling it an Integra instead of (the tarnished) ILX would give it a sales boost since the ILX was a complete disappointment (their U.S. sales target for the ILX was 40,000 units per year and the best they could do was barely half that in 2013. Most years it was a third of their annual sales goal).
The following users liked this post:
04WDPSeDaN (11-19-2021)
Old 11-19-2021, 06:33 AM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,391 Likes on 4,937 Posts
Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
Using Porsche Audi as an example, there is a huge difference in terms of output power for single-turbo V6 engines versus twin-turbo V6 engines.

Its 3.0L single-turbo V6 generates 335hp and 332 lb-ft torque, whereas its 2.9L twin-turbo V6 generates 434hp and 405 lb-ft torque...
FIFY
Old 11-19-2021, 09:08 AM
Ex-OEM King

Received 6,097 Likes on 4,001 Posts
Using Porsche as an example, there is a huge difference in terms of output power for single-turbo V6 engines versus twin-turbo V6 engines.

Its 3.0L single-turbo V6 generates 335hp and 332 lb-ft torque, whereas its 2.9L twin-turbo V6 generates 434hp and 405 lb-ft torque. That is a whopping difference of almost 100hp with one additional turbocharger, even with 100cc less engine displacement. Incidentally, the Honda J-series single-turbo, twin-scroll, DOHC, direct-injection, 3L-V6 engine also generates 335hp.

In fact, even with today's engine technology, it is still not possible for a single-turbo (with or without twin-scroll) 3L-V6 mass production engine to crank out 400+ hp. But a twin-turbo 3L-V6 can, with a dedicated turbocharger or supercharger located on each bank of the 400+ hp V6 engine,

This is more than marketing ploy. With almost 100 additional hp to play with, even my grannies can tell the difference between a 335hp single-turbo V6 vehicle and a 435hp twin-turbo V6 vehicle, at the very moment when one steps on the gas pedal.
lolwut? Mercedes has a 2.0L single turbo (twin scroll) 4 cylinder that pushes 420hp in stock form. Not to mention a 3.0L I6 single turbo with the same power output.

The difference between the Audi S and RS engines most definitely are only the turbos right? Nothing to do with state of tune or engine internals or the fact that it's an entirely different engine right? Definitely not otherwise Mercedes wouldn't be able to pull 420hp out of 2.0L and one turbo and no one has been able to easily change the tune on the 3.0T motor (or the B58) to push WAY more than 400hp. amirite?
04WDPSeDaN (11-19-2021)
Old 11-19-2021, 10:38 AM
Old Man Yelling at Clouds

Received 7,362 Likes on 3,906 Posts
Lol, I find it amusing and telling that in the Integra thread the most interesting conversation is about the power other cars make.
Old 11-19-2021, 12:09 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 04WDPSeDaN
With TLX-S and now this..... Maybe Acura should hire some ppl from Hyundai/Kia now...
04WDPSeDaN (11-19-2021)
Old 11-19-2021, 12:10 PM
_

I'd rather have this.

Current Bid: $27,000
Ends In: 1 day

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...egra-type-r-8/

1997 Acura Integra Type R

BaT Essentials

Lot #59996
Seller: sax97mugentyper
Chassis: JH4DC231XVS002907
167k Miles
1.8-Liter Inline-Four
Five-Speed Manual Transaxle
Limited-Slip Differential
Championship White Paint
Black Micro-Suede Upholstery
15" White Alloy Wheels
Rear Wing
Mugen ECU & Exhaust System
AM/FM/CD Stereo
Air Conditioning
Window Sticker
Clean Carfax Report
Private Party Or Dealer: Private Party
The following 3 users liked this post by AZuser:
04WDPSeDaN (11-19-2021), Mizouse (11-19-2021), oonowindoo (11-19-2021)
Old 11-19-2021, 12:14 PM
Team Owner

Not possible? B58 produces about 370whp STOCK...that is effectively 400+ BHP.... that is without even trying.
JB4 Stage 1 with DP will put it over 430whp without affecting any thing else. .....

i am not really sure what you are talking about.

04WDPSeDaN (11-19-2021)
Old 11-19-2021, 12:16 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 1Louder
Lol, I find it amusing and telling that in the Integra thread the most interesting conversation is about the power other cars make.
What is so interesting talking about something that makes less power than previous gen...

It is fucking embarrassing if you ask me.. the less talk the better.

I would be perfectly OK if Honda uses the 1.5T with some kind of battery pack... instead of just using that slow ass SI engine.
Old 11-19-2021, 12:54 PM
_

This reminds me of the flak Honda got for the Accord Crosstour

Ah, good times. Good times.
Old 11-19-2021, 03:30 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts

04WDPSeDaN (11-19-2021)
Old 11-19-2021, 03:31 PM

Received 5,485 Likes on 3,744 Posts
04WDPSeDaN (11-19-2021)
Old 11-19-2021, 03:57 PM
Team Owner

Breaking News: Honda will revive Prelude. Its newest addition to the 1.5L 200hp FWD lineup.
civicdrivr (11-21-2021)
Old 11-19-2021, 04:51 PM

Breaking News: Honda will revive Prelude. Its newest addition to the 1.5L 200hp FWD lineup.
So they are going to release a coupe under Honda that will represent what the Integra should have been but isn't.
Old 11-19-2021, 05:14 PM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

lolwut? Mercedes has a 2.0L single turbo (twin scroll) 4 cylinder that pushes 420hp in stock form. Not to mention a 3.0L I6 single turbo with the same power output.

The difference between the Audi S and RS engines most definitely are only the turbos right? Nothing to do with state of tune or engine internals or the fact that it's an entirely different engine right? Definitely not otherwise Mercedes wouldn't be able to pull 420hp out of 2.0L and one turbo and no one has been able to easily change the tune on the 3.0T motor (or the B58) to push WAY more than 400hp. amirite?
Not possible? B58 produces about 370whp STOCK...that is effectively 400+ BHP.... that is without even trying.
JB4 Stage 1 with DP will put it over 430whp without affecting any thing else. .....

Ignore the Acura fanboy. Remind him that the TLX-S put down an impressive 287 Whp. Such precision crafted performance. My M40i makes over 400wHP with an autowerke downpipe and a stage 2 DME tune. @kuzdu M240i is over 500wHP with a few more mods on the stock turbo. B58 is no joke.
Old 11-19-2021, 05:22 PM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Just saw this on my IG feed.

View this post on Instagram

https://fb.watch/9nWKwlzIcq/
Old 11-19-2021, 05:30 PM
Team Owner

Wait wait... is this for real? after all that and even adding FI, it only added like 20-30hp more than the previous 3.5/3.7L NA J Series engine? and even counting the weight yet... That is why it is so slow...

Remind him that the TLX-S put down an impressive 287 Whp.
Old 11-19-2021, 05:53 PM
My first Avatar....

Received 6,379 Likes on 4,066 Posts
Originally Posted by Costco
oy-vey!
Old 11-19-2021, 06:03 PM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Wait wait... is this for real? after all that and even adding FI, it only added like 20-30hp more than the previous 3.5/3.7L NA J Series engine? and even counting the weight yet... That is why it is so slow...

It's real.. Sadly, but true..
The type-s stock base line numbers are 284 wHP & 296 wTQ

Last edited by 04WDPSeDaN; 11-19-2021 at 06:12 PM.
Old 11-19-2021, 06:13 PM
Team Owner

Oh you mean that little bump at the end? WTF is that? Is that what Vtec just kicked in Yo (for 1 sec) looks like on paper?

It is a high 13 sec car... that is all we need to know... i thought it was because of the weight... but now i know it also doesnt have enough power.

04WDPSeDaN (11-19-2021)
Old 11-19-2021, 06:16 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 1Louder
So they are going to release a coupe under Honda that will represent what the Integra should have been but isn't.
Yah except The Honda Version will be faster...
Old 11-20-2021, 04:09 AM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,152 Likes on 823 Posts

This is becoming silly. Of course, I know what I am talking about.

I'm talking about mass production 3L-V6 engines, not inline 4-cylinder engines, nor 3L inline-6 engines, nor warranty-voiding aftermarket engine tuning.

Why ? Because only on V configuration engines is available with an architecture choice of using 1 turbo/super charger or 2 identical turbo/super chargers. A V6 engine is more or less equivalent to two inline 3-cylinder engines merged together.

However, no automaker is stupid enough to slap on two identical turbo/super chargers on its inline-4 and inline-6 engines, except in BMW case that it is using one bigger turbocharger together with one smaller turbocharger for high-top-speed-and-minimal-turbo-lag application. So inline engines are not a suitable engine platform to compare the performance difference between using 1 or 2 turbo/super chargers.

While focus on products from a single automaker, we can easily rule out engine technology variations and discrepancies that arise from when comparing engines made by vastly different automakers.

Using the mass production Porsche 3L-V6 engines as the base engine platform, Porsche have come up with a single-turbo 3.0L-V6 generating 335hp / 332 lb-ft, and a twin-turbo 2.9L-V6 generating 434hp /405 lb-ft. This is the significant difference in output power between having a single turbocharger and having 2 identical turbochargers on similar-technology V6 engines. For some engineering, reliability, or whatever reasons, Porsche won't make a 400+hp single-turbo 3L-V6 engine, but instead, devotes $$$$$ to create a twin-turbo 2.9L-V6 engine that generates 400+hp.

This is what I was talking about.

Old 11-20-2021, 09:22 AM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

this

Old 11-20-2021, 10:16 AM
My first Avatar....

Received 6,379 Likes on 4,066 Posts
What a shame.
Old 11-20-2021, 01:19 PM
_

If only Acura had done a focus group.

Time for Jon Ikeda to go? There were high hopes when he was promoted to replace Mike Accavitti 6+ years ago who did a job though Ikeda has done a slightly less job.

Or maybe it's not the person but the Acura brand?
04WDPSeDaN (11-20-2021)
Old 11-20-2021, 01:46 PM

"If you misbrand your car, you company looks dumb."

Yup.

How can you be the "performance" arm of Honda without offering a performance car. (or you have to get the very very top, special trim level to get one by by then it's still not as good as it's competition).
04WDPSeDaN (11-20-2021)
Old 11-20-2021, 03:41 PM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Originally Posted by AZuser
If only Acura had done a focus group.

Time for Jon Ikeda to go? There were high hopes when he was promoted to replace Mike Accavitti 6+ years ago who did a job though Ikeda has done a slightly less job.

Or maybe it's not the person but the Acura brand?
I agree with you. Either he's the Muppet or the driving force to Acura's spiraling out of control. The TLX-S got a lot of heat because Acura's marketing team. It's the slowest, heaviest and overpriced in it's class but don't let that fool you. Acura will still tell you S stands for Speed, Less talk more drive, precision crafted performance, Torque vectoring Super handing all wheel drive, blah blah blah. The clever bullshit marketing just keeps on going.. It's such a shit show.
Old 11-20-2021, 05:37 PM
Drifting

Received 1,255 Likes on 912 Posts
I think the Civic Si looks better than the Integra if I'm being honest...
Old 11-20-2021, 06:25 PM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
Wouldn't that just be an ilx replacement?
Old 11-20-2021, 07:30 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by dallison
Wouldn't that just be an ilx replacement?
No, because our dear leader Ikeda was adament that this is not a replacement for the ILX.
04WDPSeDaN (11-22-2021)
Old 11-21-2021, 08:17 PM
Q('.')=O

Received 721 Likes on 521 Posts
As a former Integra owner, I am very disappoint.
04WDPSeDaN (11-22-2021)

Quick Reply: Acura: Integra News