Old 12-21-2011, 07:05 AM
Race Director

Received 632 Likes on 508 Posts
^
Old 12-21-2011, 07:48 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,400 Likes on 704 Posts
Post 40% Increase

Honda expects 2012 will be a far better year than 2011, Tetsuo Iwamura, president and CEO of American Honda said today.

In the U.S., the company is targeting a 23.5% sales increase for its Honda brand in 2012 and a 40% sales increase for Acura.

Iwamura said the sales gains will be fueled by the new cars and trucks — including an early upgrade of the Honda Civic — as well as the company’s full recovery from inventory problems it faced in 2011.

“It looks quite high jump, but because of the availability problem, we had a really low year this year,” Iwamura said today. “To us, it is a natural growth.”

Honda’s decision to fast-track upgrades for the Civic, 1st reported by the Wall Street Journal last week, follows criticism from analysts and automotive critics.

“The competitors become better — that is a fact,” Iwamura said. “The gap between Civic and competitors has been narrowed. In the past we had a huge gap.”

Honda has battled this year with parts shortages caused by an earthquake and tsunami in March and flooding in Thailand this fall that hampered suppliers.

The company’s U.S. market share has declined to 9% for the 1st 11 months of this year compared with 10.5% for the same period in 2010.

And while luxury brands such as Audi, BMW, Mercedes-Benz and Cadillac have grown this year, Acura has seen its sales fall 6.7% for the 1st 11 months of the year.

Iwamura said he is confident Honda will regain its lost market share because of the new cars it will launch and a recently launched Civic compact sedan and CR-V crossover SUV.

Honda, he said, expects 70% of its sales for the 2013 model year will come from redesigned models.

Several of those important new vehicles will be revealed in January at the 2012 North American International Auto Show.

Acura will reveal three new cars or crossovers — including the long-awaited successor to its legendary NSX sports car — on Jan. 9.

Honda will reveal a concept version of its next-generation Honda Accord Coupe on Tuesday, Jan. 10. The Accord midsize sedan is Honda’s best-selling vehicle.

“We just completed…dealer shows,” said John Mendel, executive vice president at American Honda. “Our message, on Acura … was, it’s our time…now is our time to shine.”

On Honda, Mendel said, “our message to our dealers was ‘full speed ahead.’”

Still, Honda acknowledged today that its inventory may not be back to normal levels until the end of March.

Honda, which also has been criticized for the bland redesign of the Honda Civic, has no plans to adopt a new design direction, Iwamura said.

Honda’s design philosophy is to build cars that serve customers needs, rather than eye-catching looks.

“This is the reason why Honda has been accepted a lot in the past by the customers and created a strong brand and we don’t have any intention to switch our design principle,”
Iwamura said. “We do not just follow the fashion.”
Old 12-21-2011, 09:26 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Honda’s design philosophy is to build cars that serve customers needs, rather than eye-catching looks.

“This is the reason why Honda has been accepted a lot in the past by the customers and created a strong brand and we don’t have any intention to switch our design principle,” Iwamura said. “We do not just follow the fashion.”
But your cars of the past while not striking or fashionable were also never ugly. Can't say that today.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:48 AM
MechEng

Received 486 Likes on 403 Posts
Came across an article that said the RDX is getting rid of SH-AWD in favor of a cheaper AWD system from the CRV. Is this rumor true?

If so, I am losing all faith in Honda/Acura. They're not changing one bit.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:21 AM
Race Director

^ +1
Old 12-21-2011, 10:22 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Tetsuo Iwamura = A mouthpiece of excuses.

No intention to switch your design principle?!?!?

You clownz did change your desgin principle years ago when you started to design tastic looking vehicles.

Go back to when you designed good looking vehicles, and stop with the lame excuses.
Dude seriously needs a PR person to speak for him.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:29 AM
Rich and Famous

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
That's quite a big bite in reality and a competive market.
Setting a bar is one thing but bellying up to that bar is another.

Unless they are many secret changes we are not privy to
... I don't see it happening ...
Old 12-21-2011, 11:20 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I didn't notice anyone mentioning this. But the new eSH-AWD (and by extension the new NSX) are direct decendants of the Acura DN-X concept shown in 2002...
Old 12-21-2011, 11:40 AM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
the new model gives drivers free BJ's with every fill-up.
Old 12-21-2011, 11:45 AM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
that still wouldn't get me to spend my money on 4G TL
Old 12-21-2011, 12:31 PM
MechEng

Received 486 Likes on 403 Posts

As for the RDX, the previous generation has been criticized for the jerkiness of its turbocharged four-cylinder engine. The new RDX will have a V6 with "top-class fuel economy," Poponi said.

The RDX also will use the Honda CR-V's simpler electric power steering and all-wheel-drive systems, rather than the pricier Super Handling All-Wheel Drive system of the old RDX. Poponi says it will be "quieter, roomier and more comfortable."

link here: http://editorial.autos.msn.com/blogs...cid=autos_2222
Old 12-21-2011, 01:10 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by EL_PIC
Unless they are many secret changes we are not privy to
... I don't see it happening ...
Well, they expect it to be primarily due to the new models and we haven't seen the new models..
Old 12-21-2011, 01:23 PM
My first Avatar....

Received 6,924 Likes on 4,317 Posts
I don't know if I should... at that statement, or if I should...

Either way it I guess it doesn't matter...H/A doesnt make a car for me.
Old 12-21-2011, 03:10 PM
Engineer

Received 76 Likes on 53 Posts
Have they released at real teasers of what these new models will look like? It seems to be the trend with a lot of manufacturers to help build hype.
Old 12-21-2011, 05:20 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 846 Likes on 526 Posts
Originally Posted by 03tLsNBP
From Honda,

Vicki Poponi: "The all-new RDX will have a V6 engine that delivers more hp than our current 4-cylinder turbo, yet, it's also much more fuel efficient, which addresses some of the factors that led customers really to pass on the RDX. We expect RDX to offer best-in-class fuel economy in this segment. The all-wheel-drive system is also new, replacing the SH-AWD with a lighter weight system that provides performance and the safety benefits that the customers really want, without really adding all the extra weight of that very heavy system, and also the cost which hit both the pocketbook of the customer and also the fuel economy."
so yes, sh-awd will be gone in the rdx. but will it simply use the system from CR-V? We will see. Many have said the RDX has poor fuel efficiency. I think the main reason is the SH-AWD system, not the engine. Unlike many other systems in this class, the RDX's system is much more complicated and I believe it's permanent. It's also more heavy than those simple systems used by others. At 4000lb and a permanent AWD system, it's pretty unlikely that the RDX would achieve very good mpg.
Old 12-22-2011, 12:38 AM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,160 Likes on 829 Posts
But will the new lighter weight AWD, to be used on the upcoming RDX, be as good in performance as the proven torque-vectoring SH-AWD ?
Old 12-22-2011, 12:48 AM
6G TLX-S

Originally Posted by biker
^ +1
^ +2.

Exterior styling is utmost important to appeal to potential buyers.
Old 12-22-2011, 06:37 AM
My first Avatar....

Received 6,924 Likes on 4,317 Posts
Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
But will the new lighter weight AWD, to be used on the upcoming RDX, be as good in performance as the proven torque-vectoring SH-AWD ?
Do buyers in this segment of SUVs really want/need "performance"? It's my thinking that they simply want to get around in bad weather safely/easily.
Old 12-22-2011, 06:58 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,400 Likes on 704 Posts
Thumbs up Canada

Things have been quiet on the Acura front in recent years.

A lack of new product, fresh competition and parts shortages caused by the tragic tsunami and earthquake in Japan and flooding in Thailand six months later, has laid waste to a planned increase in sales for 2011.

But with 2012 around the corner and production back to normal things are looking up for Honda’s luxury division.

Not only is there new product in the pipeline, there is a new philosophy. At the recent Tokyo Auto Show, Honda chairman and CEO, Takanobu Ito, expressed his disappointment in Acura.

"To be very honest, I’m not satisfied with Acura," he said. "Something has to be done to help it stand out, to be more unique and return to the sporty image it had when there was the Integra and NSX."

The previous day, at Honda’s R&D facilities in Motegi, a couple of hours northeast of Tokyo, I had been given a glance into the future, a variety of prototypes which showcased innovation and driving dynamics that would indeed be a nice fit for vehicles on the ‘sporty’ side of the road.

And 2 days later, halfway across the globe in a secure Las Vegas hotel ballroom a half dozen Canadian auto writers watched as the wraps were pulled off 2 new Acuras — a new entry-level model coming in 2012 to replace the CSX and a stunning new NSX concept. With these as a backdrop, Jerry Chenkin, executive vice-president of Honda Canada, outlined plans for a resurgent Acura.

"The company began to re-evaluate Acura about 5 years ago," he said.

At that time a V10 supercar was in the preliminary planning stages.

"But then the realization struck that Honda — and Acura — were about efficiency. That’s where we could capitalize on our abilities."

The big V10 project was cancelled and development began on a new generation NSX, a sports car capable of similar performance with the emphasis on light weight and technology.

"If we were going to express sporty, we also needed to express efficiency. That is something Honda (Acura) should do," Chenkin said.

Social responsibility and environmental responsibility are Honda goals. The plan for Acura is to follow that path to achieve greater relevance in the luxury market. A new game plan was taking shape — vehicles that showcase environmental responsibility, meeting the wants and needs of luxury car buyers, while avoiding excess.

It all starts in a few months. 1st with the unveiling at the Detroit Auto Show in early January of 3 new Acuras — the production version of the ILX, the next NSX and a heavily redesigned RDX.

The ILX is larger than the CSX and will be built in the U.S. The new entry point to the Acura line is no longer a mild makeover of the Civic, but an entirely new vehicle. It will come in 3 trim levels, starting at just under $30,000 and include the brand’s 1st hybrid.

We’ll drive and report on it late March and can expect it in Acura stores this spring. The new RDX will come along at about the same time.

A new flagship sedan — the replacement for RL — will be next. The development team says that while the competition is achieving roominess by making cars bigger, Acura will offer a full-size, luxurious cabin in a mid-size car. The RL will also introduce new key technologies, including a ground-breaking SH-AWD system.

We had driven this setup a few days earlier at the famed Twin-Ring Motegi race track. The test vehicle had a 310-plus horsepower V6 engine with direct injection driving the front wheels and a pair of small, but powerful electric motors driving the rears.

Acceleration is awesome with all that torque available from launch and 4 tires to get it to the ground. But the truly tricky part comes from the electric motors in the corners.

One applies power to the outside rear wheel, helping push the vehicle in the intended direction while the other applies negative power to the inside wheel, tugging the vehicle into the corner.

Add to this a 7-speed, dual-clutch automatic gearbox with wheel-mounted shifters and you’ve got a high-performance sedan that accelerates like a big block V8, loves the turns and sips fuel like a 4-cylinder if you can behave.

The new NSX will probably arrive in 2013 with that same powertrain combo — reversed (the powerful V6 in the rear, driving the rear wheels and the electric motors up front driving those wheels).

In return for all this new product, Acura is asking dealers to introduce ‘concierge service.’ Chenkin described it as a premium experience from point of sale through the entire ownership experience.

"The goal is to exceed customer expectations."
Old 12-22-2011, 07:24 AM
Race Director

Enough of all the like talk - just show us the products.
Old 12-22-2011, 08:31 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by pttl
Do buyers in this segment of SUVs really want/need "performance"? It's my thinking that they simply want to get around in bad weather safely/easily.
Agreed. a performance AWD system isn't what the majority small ute customers are looking for. If it looks better, (current RDX is meh IMO) has better utility and FE than it will improve sales IMO.
Old 12-22-2011, 09:54 AM
Race Director

^ Sales improved just by offering a FWD version.
Old 12-22-2011, 10:28 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Good point. So its a safe bet that not offering SH-AWD won't matter much if at all.
Old 12-22-2011, 12:00 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Originally Posted by dom
Good point. So its a safe bet that not offering SH-AWD won't matter much if at all.
That's what I thought. It's not like the RDX is outselling everyone with its SH-AWD system. There are probably many reasons behind that.....poor marketing of Sh-AWD, not so good mpg, no V6, too small, doesn't look good enough...etc.
Old 12-22-2011, 12:08 PM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
potential buyers aren't probably even aware of sh-awd because they just turn around and walk away from it as soon as they see it.

so yeah, sh-awd doesn't really add anything to that car.
Old 12-22-2011, 12:28 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

To most buyers AWD is AWD...whether it quatro, 4-motion, SH-AWD....etc.

Buyers either want AWD or 2wd. They don't pay attention or care.

To market one of your cars biggest selling point with SH-AWD is a bad marketing move.
Old 12-22-2011, 02:39 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

If that's true (not doubting I tend to agree actually) they have a challenge on their hands when they release the new RL and NSX with E-SH-AWD.
Old 12-22-2011, 02:42 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Don't forget that a $2000 price drop accompanied that change. I think this showed Acura that people looking for small SUVs care about (in descending order) Price, Fuel Economy, Comfort, Features and then Performance. Switching to a less expensive system should let them keep the all-weather crowd happy and lower the price and improve FE at the same time.
Old 12-22-2011, 02:54 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by dom
If that's true (not doubting I tend to agree actually) they have a challenge on their hands when they release the new RL and NSX with E-SH-AWD.
I tend to agree.

...but Acura has been out of touch with what buyers want with the RL type of vehicle for over a decade.

...which is really scary when you consider they are going to release a new NSX.
Old 12-22-2011, 03:27 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,294 Likes on 2,649 Posts
^ I disagree because when it came out in 2005 the 2G RL sold reasonable compared to A6 and M volume but not 5 series or E-class (those are in their own market space). ~15K/year? It also compared very favorably in comparison tests. Since that time the competition has evolved and revised new platforms and the 2G RL has had only mild updates, and is not very uncompetitive in it's class now but originally it was fairly competitive.

For the 3G RL, Acura needs to distinguish it as a real flagship without any Accord resemblance. That's something the 2G Legend had presence which was very evident when you say one. It looked nothing like any Honda.

Last edited by Legend2TL; 12-22-2011 at 03:30 PM.
Old 12-22-2011, 04:03 PM
AZ Community Team

http://www.hondanews.com/channels/ac...ecord-for-2005

Hey my memory is not as bad as I thought , the 2G RL sold 17,572 which was a record for the any RL in 2005. At that time it was very competitive with everything but the 5 series and E-class who I suspect were ~3X that number
Old 12-22-2011, 04:24 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

^^ As a flagship it never competed with the big boys.....not even close.
Old 12-22-2011, 04:25 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by dom
i agree with Moog on his AWD statement, "most" is very appropriate. As to your point I think NSX and RL potential buyers are much more tech discerned buyers who are interested in the tech employed.

For that reason look how Audi and others copied the Acura approach for their high end AWD systems of yaw differential torque management.
Old 12-22-2011, 04:26 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
^^ As a flagship it never competed with the big boys.....not even close.
I don't believe it was ever meant to compete with the LS/7/S, it was always a mid-size class competition (A6/M/5/E). This is also true for the M, although I'd admit it's slightly larger and has V8/RWD.

But it did initially resonate well with Acura buyers, 17K/year. So Acura did choose it's mid-sized flagship well at the start of the 2G production lifespan. But Acura let it get stale as others moved forward, sales dropped from 5 figure to 3 figure. End of story.

Last edited by Legend2TL; 12-22-2011 at 04:31 PM.
Old 12-22-2011, 05:19 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by Legend2TL
I don't believe it was ever meant to compete with the LS/7/S, it was always a mid-size class competition (A6/M/5/E). This is also true for the M, although I'd admit it's slightly larger and has V8/RWD.

But it did initially resonate well with Acura buyers, 17K/year. So Acura did choose it's mid-sized flagship well at the start of the 2G production lifespan. But Acura let it get stale as others moved forward, sales dropped from 5 figure to 3 figure. End of story.
If you are a lux make...which Acura sells itself as one....and you call said vehicle your flagship.....should it not compete with the other lux-makes flagships?

Acura "tried" to position the RL as a true flagship...which clearly it was not. When the other makes got bigger, faster, more powerful, Honda chose not to compete....but still "sold" it to the customer as a flagship.

Hence why it never sold anywhere near what other flagships sold.
Old 12-22-2011, 05:40 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

I'm not sure how Acura sells the RL as a 7-series/S-Class/A8 competitor.

I mean, just because the 7-series is BMW's flagship, it doesn't mean it will compete with a Maybach or Bentley, etc...I don't know....I guess we (Legend2TL and me) have a different perspective on this than you do.

If the RL was indeed competiting with the aforementioned cars, then the sales was a huge success at the beginning....
Old 12-22-2011, 05:44 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

^^ I've just never seen Acura market the RL as a midsize vehicle

Then again, I rarely see any advertising for it all all.....ever
Old 12-22-2011, 06:40 PM
AZ Community Team

If you are a lux make...which Acura sells itself as one....and you call said vehicle your flagship.....should it not compete with the other lux-makes flagships?

Acura "tried" to position the RL as a true flagship...which clearly it was not. When the other makes got bigger, faster, more powerful, Honda chose not to compete....but still "sold" it to the customer as a flagship.

Hence why it never sold anywhere near what other flagships sold.
No they never have on any of their leading luxury models 1G/2G Legend and 1G/2G RL. Doesn't mean you have to either.

Not sure what you mean "tried to position the RL as a true flagship"? It was always meant to compete with the mid-size luxury cars. Pretty sure that's in the press releases and marketing info at Hondanews.com

BTW, when it was selling at 17K/year (2005) is about what a S-class was selling volume wise in the US. So yes it did sell in the same volume as other flagships but was not in their class.
Old 12-22-2011, 07:04 PM
AZ Community Team

^^ I've just never seen Acura market the RL as a midsize vehicle

Then again, I rarely see any advertising for it all all.....ever
Everyone has always compared it in the mid-sized luxury sport sedan market

http://www.wheels.ca/article/47657

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...an_comparison/

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...mparison-tests
Old 12-23-2011, 12:22 AM
6G TLX-S

Originally Posted by Legend2TL
^ I disagree because when it came out in 2005 the 2G RL sold reasonable compared to A6 and M volume but not 5 series or E-class (those are in their own market space). ~15K/year? It also compared very favorably in comparison tests. Since that time the competition has evolved and revised new platforms and the 2G RL has had only mild updates, and is not very uncompetitive in it's class now but originally it was fairly competitive.

For the 3G RL, Acura needs to distinguish it as a real flagship without any Accord resemblance. That's something the 2G Legend had presence which was very evident when you say one. It looked nothing like any Honda.
Also noted that the 2G RL model cycle has been stretched outrageously long.

The 2G RL was released in 2004 as a MY'2005.

The 2G MMC RL was released in 2008 as a MY'2009. There was no surprise then, as of newer technology nor better performance. So there was no reason why sales would start to increase after the MMC update.

Now the 2G MMC RL has limped along into the 2011 as a MY'2012. The model cycle is now in it's 7th year. Sometimes I puzzle as of what made the few hundred RL buyers per month choose to buy the unpopular car.

Quick Reply: Acura: Development and Technology News