Acura: Development and Technology News

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 02:37 PM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
They're still lost. Find a strategy and stick with it.

Honda will overhaul and reposition its Acura lineup over the next 18 months and abandon its long pursuit of top-tier luxury-car status for the brand.

After years of trying to propel Acura into the front ranks with Mercedes-Benz, BMW and Lexus, Honda says it will settle for offering mid-level premium vehicles that favor fuel economy over performance.
Old 12-12-2011, 02:39 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by Sly Raskal
I thought bluetooth is standard on all Acura's?
Could be by now, I haven't shopped Acura's since 2004.
Old 12-12-2011, 02:42 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by biker
They could just detune the new mill for the RDX - though you are right that it would be cheaper to stick an old engine in there.
My biggest question in all of this is when will we start seeing these new engines and CVT's???

We know the next RL is getting the new power train, but if we don't see the new DI egines in the ILX and RDX, does that mean we have to wait until the next full refresh to see them in these models since Honda rarely changes engines mid cycle?
Old 12-12-2011, 02:44 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Never mind, I think Jeff at TOV, just answered my question.

Originally Posted by Jeff @ TOV
We were told that a lot of these engines wouldn't be ready for application immediately, but would be phased in over the next 3 years, and in fact we should expect some mid-cycle updates to various models. They're not necessarily going to time them with the release of new model FMCs. So the ILX will most likely get the R20 at first, especially since Honda didn't announce a 2.0L "earth dreams" engine spec besides the engine in the Plug-in hybrid vehicle.
Old 12-12-2011, 02:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by dom
Personally. What I would like to see standard are

- back up camera (peace of mind when you have kids),
- key less entry, start
- bluetooth
- iPod integration/USB

Don't care at all about things like Hard drives, Pandora, Weather etc.
All Acura's have bluetooth
All but base TSX have a camera
All but base MDX have iPod/USB (but it can still stream A2DP)
Old 12-12-2011, 02:53 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Colin
All Acura's have bluetooth
All but base TSX have a camera
All but base MDX have iPod/USB (but it can still stream A2DP)
Well there you go, I guess that just leaves the key less entry/start.
Old 12-12-2011, 02:56 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,944 Likes on 14,059 Posts
on a "done-right" NSX...
Old 12-12-2011, 03:00 PM
Engineer

Received 76 Likes on 53 Posts
Personally I'll be upset to see the TSX get dropped for a lesser model in the ILX.

The TSX is the best looking of their current lineup. Probably the best bang for your buck as well...
Old 12-12-2011, 03:02 PM
Engineer

Received 76 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by Yumcha
on a "done-right" NSX...
I hope so, but I feel like they'll mess something up. I don't mean to be so negative, but Acura hasn't been hitting anything out of the park for a while now...
Old 12-12-2011, 03:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by charliemike
On what, exactly?

Replacing a good car with an inferior one (TSX for ILX) or that Audi R8 ripoff?

No wonder I thought Tony Stark's car in The Avengers was an R8 mule. They basically redesigned the R8.
Old 12-12-2011, 03:34 PM
MechEng

Received 486 Likes on 403 Posts
Sad to see the 2.3 Turbo go

I would have liked to see that engine (with SH-AWD) used more effectively in say a TSX or the new ILX sized car.
Old 12-12-2011, 03:52 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,463 Likes on 4,981 Posts
Originally Posted by AZuser
They're still lost. Find a strategy and stick with it.
Honestly, they shouldve been aiming mid-level this whole time. Im just disappointed that they want to go for fuel economy instead of performance. Acura used to be more performance minded. Leave the economy BS to Honda and let Acura offer exciting vehicles.

Originally Posted by 03tLsNBP

I would have liked to see that engine (with SH-AWD) used more effectively in say a TSX or the new ILX sized car.
240hp/260tq wouldve been nice in an S2000 based Acura, but they missed the boat on that one.
Old 12-12-2011, 04:24 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by savage
Personally I'll be upset to see the TSX get dropped for a lesser model in the ILX.

The TSX is the best looking of their current lineup. Probably the best bang for your buck as well...
Are you basing this on looks or what's underneath? It's not as if a redesigned the TSX for the next gen it couldn't fall off the styling map (subjective I know). And, we have no idea what this car will look like anyway.

I think you have a valid point that moving to the Civic chassis is a little disappointing because it means mac struts, but it's not as if other cars in this segment don't use them too. I am hopeful that moving production to North America will help the value ratio and if they can offer more content than the current TSX under $30K fully equipped, they could do really well and the 40K sales goals are probably reachable.
Old 12-12-2011, 11:02 PM
Op is too busy to care

Received 913 Likes on 540 Posts
via automobile mag:

Name:  8QmIp.gif
Views: 7
Size:  497.5 KB

Jeff from TOV says the dimensions are a bit off, but mostly faithful. Stays close to stark iron man concept with a cleaner rear, hard top, functional headlights, theres some flying buttresses and shit in there, dimensions are a bit off, its very reminiscent of an r8 person
Old 12-13-2011, 12:58 AM
is out, so the

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
^^^ If that's accurate, I dig the flying butress c-pillar coming into the carved part of the door! Looks hawt.
Old 12-13-2011, 06:57 AM
I'm Craig

Received 299 Likes on 207 Posts
Still am not a huge fan of the power plenum grille...on any Acura product. But it isn't nearly as offensive as it could be.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:26 AM
Three Wheelin'

ILX, NSX and so on: ugly, not ugly, boring not boring, interesting, non interesting...
I suggest to wait till the first official photos in January.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:29 AM
I spend 2 much time here

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts
Originally Posted by 03tLsNBP

^^^^ agreed, if Acura had made a TSX sized or smaller vehicle with SH-AWD and turbo 4 i would have bought it already.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:29 PM
Team Owner

Received 582 Likes on 346 Posts
Will you be there?

If you can't make it to the NAIAS this year, don't worry. Acura has launched a program to put you in the front seat during the announcements of the new vehicles at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit in January by allowing you to catch all the announcements from your computer as they stream the announcements live.

To sign up to be informed of when this happens during the auto show, go here:

http://www.acura.com/FutureVehicles.aspx
Old 12-13-2011, 09:16 PM
I'm Craig

^Signed up. This is the first year in a long while that I won't be able to make it...picked a bad year to not go seeing as there seem to be quite a few interesting new vehicles this year.

Hopefully Acura will use this as a chance to re-establish their image. Right now, they're kind of seen as a mockery amongst the car media. Which is too bad seeing as their cars are excellent.
Old 12-14-2011, 09:23 PM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
Originally Posted by cjTL
Still am not a huge fan of the power plenum grille...on any Acura product. But it isn't nearly as offensive as it could be.
power plenum grille with what looks like a buck tooth for a front bumper
Old 12-15-2011, 08:46 AM
Team Owner

Received 582 Likes on 346 Posts
Acura Earns Three IIHS TOP SAFETY PICK Ratings

<table width="400"><tbody><tr><td style="font-size: 22px; font-family: Arial;">
Acura Earns Three IIHS TOP SAFETY PICK Ratings</td> </tr> <tr> <td> </td> </tr> <tr> <td style="font-size: 16px;">Best selling Acura TSX, TL and MDX receive IIHS accolades</td> </tr> <tr> <td> </td> </tr> <tr> <td style="font-size: 13px;">TORRANCE, Calif., Dec. 15, 2011– Acura today announced that three of its best selling models received the highest possible safety rating of TOP SAFETY PICK from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) under its more-stringent testing guidelines implemented last year.

The Acura TSX sedan and wagon, TL and MDX earned the highest-possible score of GOOD in all four ratings, including the more rigorous roof-strength test. According to the IIHS, vehicles rated good for rollover protection have roofs more than twice as strong as the current federal standard requires. The IIHS TOP SAFETY PICK award recognizes vehicles that do the best job of protecting vehicle occupants in front, side, rollover, and rear crashes based on ratings in the Institute's evaluations.

All 2012 Acura models utilize the Advanced Compatibility Engineering™ (ACE™) body structure. ACE™ is an exclusive body design that enhances occupant protection and crash compatibility in frontal crashes. The ACE™ design utilizes a network of connected structural elements to distribute crash energy more evenly throughout the front of the vehicle. This enhanced frontal crash energy management helps to reduce the forces transferred to the passenger compartment.

Standard safety equipment on all Acura models include Vehicle Stability Assist™ (VSA®) with traction control, an anti-lock braking system (ABS), dual-stage/multiple-threshold front airbags, front-side airbags with passenger side Occupant Position Detection System (OPDS), side curtain airbags for all outboard seating positions, front seats with integrated active head restraints, front seatbelts with automatic tensioning system and load limiters, Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) and Daytime Running Lights (DRL).

About Acura
Acura offers a full line of technologically advanced performance luxury vehicles through a network of 272 dealers within the United States. The 2012 Acura lineup features six distinctive models including the RL luxury performance sedan, the TL performance luxury sedan, the TSX sports sedan and Sport Wagon, the turbocharged RDX crossover SUV, the MDX luxury SUV and the ZDX four-door sports coupe.
</td></tr></tbody></table>
Old 12-15-2011, 09:26 AM
My first Avatar....

Received 6,852 Likes on 4,289 Posts
I've known a few people who have had bad crashes in their 3G TLs, and the car litterally saved their lives.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:30 AM
Three Wheelin'

[QUOTE=pttl;13423729]I've known a few people who have had bad crashes in their 3G TLs, and the car litterally saved their lives.

yeah, I remember! it was 4-5 years ago...
Old 12-15-2011, 11:18 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,400 Likes on 704 Posts
Lightbulb Canada

It would be a stretch to suggest Honda's Acura premium brand is broken, though no 1 would argue it's in a bad way and needs some serious rehabilitation.

Jerry Chenkin, Honda/Acura Canada executive vice-president, is willing to admit as much, as is Honda Motor Co. CEO Takanobu Ito.

"Sales started sliding in 2007 and they have been hard to stabilize," said Chenkin, adding the company had "great expectations" for the redesigned TL midsize car and those expectations were dashed by long-time Acura owners who completely rejected the radically restyled sedan.

Chenkin said Acura will likely sell 16,000 vehicles in Canada this year, but 20,000 is what's needed to keep Acura and its dealers happy and profitable.

Ito was far blunter in his assessment of Acura a few days ago at the Tokyo Motor Show: "We are not satisfied with Acura's current positioning," Ito told Automotive News. "We want to showcase interesting and fun technologies and show excellent environmental performance."

That, in a nutshell, is the plan for Acura and the proof -- such as it is in the car business -- will be in upcoming new models and concepts. There is a long list of them. The most exciting news of all has to do with the NSX concept super car that will be unveiled in January at the Detroit auto show.

The car is stunning -- low-slung, dangerous looking but not over-the-top-edgy and fast. Performance will come from the latest version of Acura's hybrid technology combined with a new take on Super-Handling All-Wheel Drive or SH-AWD in Acura-speak.

Power? A direct-injection V-6 teamed with a lithium ion battery pack. For extra boost, the car will have an electric motor tied to the drivetrain positioned amidships and an electric motor at each rear wheel to deliver AWD and just a little more oomph.

Acura also plans to launch a new compact sedan called the ILX in the spring. It rides on Honda's global Civic platform, though the 2 cars look completely different. The ILX will replace 2 cars in Acura's Canadian lineup: the CSX, which was a barely-gussied-up Civic, and the TSX, a rebadged version of the Honda Accord sold in Europe.

A redesigned RDX small crossover is coming in the spring, too. Unlike the current car, which has a jiggly ride and a jumpy turbocharged 4-cylinder engine, the next RDX will have a V-6 and a suspension tuned more for comfort, less for performance. Next fall a new flagship sedan will replace the current RL, likely with a new name.

And then in the spring of 2013 a redesigned TL will be joined by a reinvented MDX large crossover. The smart money is betting that the ZDX large crossover, a stunning sales disaster, will go away very soon, even though it is Chenkin's company car right now.

The painful truth about Acura is that it has evolved into a heavily discounted SUV brand. That is, 58% of Acura sales in Canada are SUVs. The big seller, the $62,690 MDX, is a solid SUV that competes pretty successfully with the BMW X5s of the world -- but only because it drives off dealer lots with the help of an $8,000 cash incentive.

It's the same story for other Acura models. The outgoing RDX ($40,490) has a $4,000 cash incentive on it. The $24,290 CSX, if you find 1 now that the car is no longer in production, has a $2,500 sales sweetener in play. The RL sedan ($64,690)? How about $5,000 in cash incentives, plus whatever you can squeeze out of the dealer. Acura seems to have given up on the ZDX ($64,690) altogether; the only offer is cut-rate financing. And it's the same story for the TL -- no juicy deals are officially in play on another shockingly unsuccessful Acura model.

For now, Acura is counting on the MDX to keep the cash flowing until the new products come to the rescue. Chenkin says Acura must and will reestablish itself as a legitimate luxury brand, though Acura's vision of luxury or of premium vehicles will be different than the big German brands like BMW, Mercedes-Benz and Audi, as well as those from Japan -- Lexus and Infiniti.

Chenkin and other Acura officials, however, deny reports out of the United States that an overhauled Acura will abandon top-tier luxury-car status. They also say that the line between top tier luxury vehicles and mainstream ones is at least blurring and they have a point.

Mercedes, for instance, sells a $30,000-something minivan with hinged doors called the B-Class and has been very successful with it. Audi in Canada has the $34,100 A3 and Lexus sells a $30,950 front-wheel-drive hatchback called the CT 200h.

The Acura types argue that the move downmarket by the heavy hitters in luxury cars -- BMW, Mercedes, Lexus and so on -- puts Acura in position to compete with all the top tier brands on price, features, design and functionality.

Acura's hope is to stir some much-needed emotion in potential buyers with sharp designs and nifty technologies that best take advantage of the driver's abilities. The sales hook will be rational, though -- offer more car for less money than the competition.

The RL replacement is a perfect example. "It will have (BMW) 7-Series cabin space with the agility of a 5-Series," said Chenkin. "Our sedans need to instill passion and emotion."

The new Acura flagship, this mysterious RL successor, will be the priciest Acura in the lineup, too -- until the new NSX comes perhaps a year from now.

The NSX news is the most tangible indication of just how important Honda views the future of Acura. The original NSX was launched in 1991 when Honda and Acura were brimming with creativity and confidence. By the time the car went away in 2004, Honda had surely begun heading down the road to complacency and that spilled into Acura.

Honda CEO Ito seems to understand the difficult spot he and his company find themselves. Ito is the 1 who killed a previous NSX concept after the autumn 2008 Lehman Brothers meltdown and the financial catastrophe that ensued. The idea was to marshal resources and ride out the storm.

That bunker mentality might have allowed Honda to remain viable and profitable in the short term, but it seems also to have made the company overly conservative and incapable or unwilling to recognize how this narrow focus was undermining Honda and Acura products -- and leading the company to underestimate the fierce competition emerging in the form of the Hyundai-Kia alliance of South Korea.

Indeed, as The New York Times reported, Ito and other Honda executives at the Tokyo Motor Show conceded that they took their eyes off the competition and the customer.

"We now understand that customers expect a lot from Honda. Customers want more innovation," Yoshiharu Yamamoto, president of Honda R&D Co., the automaker's development arm, said. "That's something we've learned this time."

Chenkin added that Honda has the will and the resources to reinvent its products and how they supported by dealers and the factory. For Acura, that means nothing less than an entirely new lineup and a thoroughly new approach to customer service.

Word has it that all this Acura news had some dealers literally weeping for joy as they viewed the prototypes of the new vehicles -- especially the mid-engine NSX. That's a switch for Acura dealers and their customers who for year have been crying the blues.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:34 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by TSX69

It would be a stretch to suggest Honda's Acura premium brand is broken, though no 1 would argue it's in a bad way and needs some serious rehabilitation.
Without a doubt sales are way down from the best days, but at this point, Acura is at 110K sales YTD, Audi is at 104K, Infiniti is at 87K, Volvo at 61K, and Jag at 11K. Brands ahead of Acura are Lexus at 173K, BMW at 221K and MB at 234K.
Old 12-16-2011, 12:56 AM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
You cannot compare domestic brand like Acura with import brand Audi/Infiniti.

You have to consider A3/G25 have very little contribution to Audi/Infiniti sales. and that G series is pretty old dog.
By selling over 1000 V8 SUVs a month Infiniti can afford to offer V8 sedan.
Infinit JX is pretty impressive SUV in technology.(3D navigaiton, safety connect, around view monitor, memory key even forn navigation, climate)
First time Infiniti has done it right the mid size SUV.
Nissan is already pretty close to Honda sales without new Sentra.Once Infiniti start offering more sedans/SUVs. they can pass Acura
Old 12-16-2011, 06:25 AM
Race Director

Received 632 Likes on 508 Posts
Old 12-16-2011, 08:42 AM

Received 5,939 Likes on 2,930 Posts
Originally Posted by SSFTSX
You cannot compare domestic brand like Acura with import brand Audi/Infiniti.

You have to consider A3/G25 have very little contribution to Audi/Infiniti sales. and that G series is pretty old dog.
By selling over 1000 V8 SUVs a month Infiniti can afford to offer V8 sedan.
Infinit JX is pretty impressive SUV in technology.(3D navigaiton, safety connect, around view monitor, memory key even forn navigation, climate)
First time Infiniti has done it right the mid size SUV.
Nissan is already pretty close to Honda sales without new Sentra.Once Infiniti start offering more sedans/SUVs. they can pass Acura
Oh my...I hate to be the one to point this out, but this might be one of the more nonsensical arguments I've ever seen.

Acura = Domestic Infiniti = Import WHAT!!!!!????
Old 12-16-2011, 10:43 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Originally Posted by Yumcha
on a "done-right" NSX...
Sadly, because of Honda/Acura track record......I have little hope at all.

I wish they could prove me wrong.

I hope it looks nothing like the Avengers Tony Stark ride.
Old 12-16-2011, 11:52 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Asimo's been hacked by the competition!!!
Old 12-17-2011, 02:46 AM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,155 Likes on 826 Posts
Originally Posted by Colin
Without a doubt sales are way down from the best days, but at this point, Acura is at 110K sales YTD, Audi is at 104K, Infiniti is at 87K, Volvo at 61K, and Jag at 11K. Brands ahead of Acura are Lexus at 173K, BMW at 221K and MB at 234K.
But when you start looking at the total revenue figures (i.e., # of sales x vehicle selling price), it sure won't be pretty for Acura with a lineup consists of comparatively much-lower-priced vehicles.
Old 12-17-2011, 11:48 AM
Safety Car

This picture tell every thing from rest of the world why Nissan/Infintie can afford to built several thousand V8 engines per month from Japan but not Honda. Honda/Acura simply dont have product that can sell in numbers to justify V8.

Similarly is Nissan Maxima for rest of the world/US. Nissan is now best brand among Toyota/Honda in selling V6 sedan under Nissan badge.

Honda is targeting 4 cylinder market. and that stupid thinking is coming into Acura in producing more low end products aka ILX. They are simply lucky that Nissan hasnt invested so much into Altima/Sentra/Versa.
Old 12-20-2011, 12:32 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
I am confused..

I understand what he is saying but i don't understand at the same time...

you traded in your TSX for a Nissan/Infiniti recently??
Old 12-20-2011, 01:07 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
WOW! Nissan/Infiniti make some horribly ugly vehicles. Those pics are
Old 12-20-2011, 07:55 PM
Race Director

Received 632 Likes on 508 Posts
Originally Posted by oonowindoo
you traded in your TSX for a Nissan/Infiniti recently??
Only temporarily until something better (likely from VAG) comes along.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:18 PM
I'm Craig

The QX and that giant Nissan SUV are subjective, but the Maxima is beautiful, IMO. At least Nissan has the balls to make an edgy design, unlike Honda.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:44 PM
Op is too busy to care

Received 913 Likes on 540 Posts
Originally Posted by cjTL
The QX and that giant Nissan SUV are subjective, but the Maxima is beautiful, IMO. At least Nissan has the balls to make an edgy design, unlike Honda.
i gotta disagree, while the maxima may or may not be beautiful, acura's recent designs have been "edgy" as shit. I'm not saying they are good or bad per se, but they have certainly been fucking edgy thats for sure

see: plenum
Old 12-20-2011, 10:55 PM
Safety Car

Those gaints SUV help Nissan to remain to remain in game of V8 and large size diesel vehicles. and is extremely profitable. Nissan is bright star of Japanese automotive industry.
Old 12-21-2011, 06:45 AM
Pinky all stinky

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts
i hate you all, i clicked 'view post' from him just to see what all the hoopla was about.

Quick Reply: Acura: Development and Technology News