Acura: Development and Technology News

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 04:44 PM
old school

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
Meh. I think the whole problem will be solved when they redesign the exteriors to something less fugly than the current parrot-beak crap, not to mention the Transformer-butt on the TL. Whoever called them "reliable Audis" a few pages back was right on the money. Hell, I went from an '01 A4 to an '04 TL and I think there's plenty of room in that market space, or there will be again once the industry (and the economy as a whole) recover. I'm kind of glad they dropped the "Tier 1 Luxury" pretense. Now they just need to lose the god-awful new exterior styling and all should be well again.
Old 11-06-2009, 05:48 PM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 641 Likes on 395 Posts
Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
In general, a luxury brand is one that can sell it's products at a premium price. For example, Rolex is a luxury brand and people are willing to buy even a plain (non diamond) Rolex watch at a price many folds that of a Seiko watch.
Interesting definition, I guess I'd agree.

Now back to the auto world.

Sizewise, the TSX, the A4, the 3-series, and the C-class are all within the same size class; the TL, the A6, the 5-series, and the E-class roughly the same size class.

But pricewise, the TSX, the A3, the 1-series, and the B-class are all selling at around similar prices; the TL, the A4, the 3-series, the the C-class are at around similar prices.

Thus, Audi, BWM, and MB are all selling their products at a premium price, while, in comparison, Acura is selling the equivalent products at a bargain price.

Until the time when the TSX is carrying the same price tag as the A4, the 3-series, and the C-class, and when the TL the same price tag as the A6, the 5-series, and the E-class, then the Acura brand will be considered to be a luxury brand as for BMW and MB.
Ok but that only works as long as your baseline is the size. You could just compare the cars based on features/price/fit&finish, and then Acuras just become luxury cars that offer more interior volume than their counterparts.
Old 11-06-2009, 07:48 PM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
Originally Posted by Belzebutt

Ok but that only works as long as your baseline is the size. You could just compare the cars based on features/price/fit&finish, and then Acuras just become luxury cars that offer more interior volume than their counterparts.
I'm 100% agree with you on this point. Individual Acura vehicles (Canadian CSX aside) are just as luxury as those from the true-luxury brands. But the Acura brand isn't. It doesn't carry the same prestige, pride, and recognition as the true-luxury brands. Car buyers aren't willing to fork out more than $50K for an Acura sedan, but will for the BMW and MB brands sedans.

This is the whole point. The Acura brand doesn't have enough "balls" to premium-price it's vehicles. The brand isn't luxury enough. In comparison, even though the true-luxury brands are selling their luxury cars with a smaller interior and at a premium pricing, car buyers are still more than happy to pay the extra money to buy them.

The moment when a brand is selling more for less, the brand image suffers. The more premium the brand is, the more it is selling less for more.

Last edited by Edward'TLS; 11-06-2009 at 07:51 PM.
Old 11-09-2009, 10:27 PM
TMQ
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fsttyms1
After my test drive in the Genesis today it was every bit the car the 550 my dad and i drove but for 25k less. Both of us preferred the fit and finish of the Hyundai over the 5 series. There isnt a thing on the acura lot that comes close to size or quality in my eyes as the Hyundai. Acura has lost another battle, this time to Hyundai. They took the chance to be better why cant acura. Hell even the Azera was of good quality, as good fit and finish and materials as the TL.
What fit and finish issue do you have with the 550i? I own an E60 also and don't see any quality problems.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:42 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by TMQ
What fit and finish issue do you have with the 550i? I own an E60 also and don't see any quality problems.
No quality issues per say, just i found the Genesis i was in had tighter more consistent gaps and fit than the 5 series i was in.
Old 11-12-2009, 01:43 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by SpicyMikey
I could be wrong, but I think you are misreading their intent from what Ito said. He was backing off from early statements about being Tier 1 like Bently and Maybach. In the same statement he also reiterated Honda's intention to be more like BMW and Audi.

Reread it again and let me know if I'm wrong. It wouldn't be the first time.
I think people are either misunderstanding things (nothing new here when it comes to Acura communication and not necessarily our fault either) or twisting it to fit their agenda.

Ito said (with my thoughts below):

"a certain level of confusion" [about Acura]
(No shit. Acura is struggling for a unified identity, it's good that someone finally recognized this)

"We are in the midst of big changes. We've changed the direction of research and development."
(Nowhere does this say 'no Tier 1'. All is says is they're taking research elsewhere)

"I see the future of Acura as a merger of BMW and Audi--something between high technology and high performance."
(Let's dismiss the Bentley comments since they were never realistic. The real targets have always been BMW, Lexus and now Audi. I see no strategic change here, especially if the intelligentsia here consider these brands as "tier 1") )

"low-growth period of developing new products."
(Not good news. Earlier we were promised a new or revised model every 6 months. This now seems to be pushed to 1 year)

"We were thinking that we could come up with glamorous, gorgeous products that would sell. Now, our premium products will be expressed in advanced environmental technologies, rather than glamorous things attached to the product"
(Perhaps the most provocative statement. If 'glamorous' means "V-10" then it makes sense. They want to replace this as a status symbol with something different ie "advanced environmental technologies")
Old 11-12-2009, 08:54 PM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
^^^^^ Ito did say a lot, but it seemed like he had said nothing.
Old 11-12-2009, 09:33 PM
Suzuka Master

^^^^^ Ito did say a lot, but it seemed like he had said nothing.
LOL, is that the internet equivalent of putting your hands over your ears and saying La La La La.....
Old 11-14-2009, 06:21 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
I was wondering when you'd chime in. I appreciate your doing so as your perspective is important in this discussion. Do you think Ito is the guy to pull things off for Acura? His candor is something we haven't seen in years from Honda. What do you think is the likelihood that his words will be followed with action?

Originally Posted by Colin
I think people are either misunderstanding things (nothing new here when it comes to Acura communication and not necessarily our fault either) or twisting it to fit their agenda.

Ito said (with my thoughts below):

"a certain level of confusion" [about Acura]
(No shit. Acura is struggling for a unified identity, it's good that someone finally recognized this)

"We are in the midst of big changes. We've changed the direction of research and development."
(Nowhere does this say 'no Tier 1'. All is says is they're taking research elsewhere)

"I see the future of Acura as a merger of BMW and Audi--something between high technology and high performance."
(Let's dismiss the Bentley comments since they were never realistic. The real targets have always been BMW, Lexus and now Audi. I see no strategic change here, especially if the intelligentsia here consider these brands as "tier 1") )

"low-growth period of developing new products."
(Not good news. Earlier we were promised a new or revised model every 6 months. This now seems to be pushed to 1 year)

"We were thinking that we could come up with glamorous, gorgeous products that would sell. Now, our premium products will be expressed in advanced environmental technologies, rather than glamorous things attached to the product"
(Perhaps the most provocative statement. If 'glamorous' means "V-10" then it makes sense. They want to replace this as a status symbol with something different ie "advanced environmental technologies")
Old 11-15-2009, 09:30 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by neuronbob
I was wondering when you'd chime in. I appreciate your doing so as your perspective is important in this discussion. Do you think Ito is the guy to pull things off for Acura? His candor is something we haven't seen in years from Honda. What do you think is the likelihood that his words will be followed with action?
Its hard to say. IMO, Ito will do what is necessary to protect the company just a Fukui did. If this means that they cancel a program because it no longer makes sense, I think he'd do it. Let's take the rumored V-8 for example. The J series has been around now for 12-13 years. Let's say it sticks around for another 2 years. I would interpret this as meaning a new engine is expected to have a 'shelf life' of 15 years. Maybe the program was canceled because the changing CAFE rules would have rendered a life of only 10 years. This means they would have to amortize the costs 33% faster in a shrinking market OR they could charge more for cars using the engine. We can see with the TL what the effect of a few extra thousand dollars has on sales volume.

IMO, Ito needs to work on getting our volume back up, clarify what the brand stands for and inspire confidence in the distribution and dealer network. As someone else pointed out, they're not running a 'car club' they're running a business. If they can get everybody profitable, then they can work on some fun stuff (that generates interest, but doesn't really sell in volume).
Old 11-19-2009, 03:32 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
Originally Posted by Colin
LOL, is that the internet equivalent of putting your hands over your ears and saying La La La La.....
Colin, you really cracked me up here....hahhahah!
Old 11-19-2009, 03:45 PM
99 TL, 06 E350

Received 164 Likes on 110 Posts
Bring back the idea that brought us the 1999 TL and Legend. Go back to they're grass roots and watch sales go up. Anytime any company complicates they're product sales will go down. Get rid of the accountants and bring back the real designers.
Old 11-22-2009, 12:09 AM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Acura: Grille Kit Speculation

I heard there will soon be a "grille kit" out for the Acura products. Obviously corporate HQ knows there's a serious problem. Let's hope the "cure" won't be worse than the current disease.
Old 11-22-2009, 12:54 AM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts
That's interesting news.

I wonder if it'll be similar to Ron Jon's aftermarket grill.

I don't mind the grill that much, esp since I feel my exterior's silver color blends in with the current OEM grill fairly well. Having said that, I wouldn't mind seeing some other alternatives/options.

It wouldn't hurt if Acura offered it as a "freebie" as a goodwill gesture

Last edited by docboy; 11-22-2009 at 12:58 AM.
Old 11-22-2009, 08:10 AM
Punk Rocker

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
I think you need to post some sort of source for info like that...
Old 11-22-2009, 08:22 AM
2011 ZCP E92 M3!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
where did u hear that?
Old 11-22-2009, 08:34 AM
Drifting

Received 234 Likes on 162 Posts
I heard it too from my local service manager. I think its going to be a snap on piece...whether or not its better or worse remains to be seen. I know most people hate the grill but what about the tail end of the car. Any aftermarket mods for that ugly part of the car ?
Oh btw...Silver on the 2010 TL is the best color. It does the best job to blend in the awkwar looking parts on the front and back end.
Old 11-22-2009, 08:41 AM
2011 ZCP E92 M3!!

i think the best color is the black on shawd
Old 11-22-2009, 12:33 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Interesting. I actually hope this means they're thinking about re-doing the grille entirely fairly soon. I don't mind it so much on the TSX, but the TL, RL, and RDX are atrocious. IMO, some sort of snap-on piece will not fix the TL's grille. You have to get rid of the entire top bucktooth portion of that grille for it to look better. I hate how it goes into the hood. A snap-on piece will not fix that, I don't think.
Old 11-22-2009, 12:39 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

Let's just say I heard it from someone who knows people with Acura and leave it at that. In the coming months I think you will see that this is a true statement. I was told Acura "is working on a grille kit."

It still won't fix the butt on the TL which, when the tail or brake lights are off, bears an uncanny resemblance to the Joker.

Originally Posted by majin ssj eric
I think you need to post some sort of source for info like that...
Old 11-22-2009, 02:07 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by LuvMyTSX
Interesting....You have to get rid of the entire top bucktooth portion of that grille for it to look better. I hate how it goes into the hood. A snap-on piece will not fix that, I don't think.
I agree. You'd need a body color insert to accomplish that and I can already see the color match complaints. Hopefully they won't try that now. IMO, a 'black chrome' color would help lessen the impact on a darker color car. Maybe at MMC they can work on re-doing the bodywork to make the piece over the headlight continue in one piece (from fender to fender) and then get the grill below the cut line like in the TSX.
Old 11-22-2009, 04:19 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
So Acura will charge their customers to make their cars less ugly? Sweet!
Old 11-22-2009, 05:08 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

One could try and say this was the case for larger wheels, a spoiler, etc.

Originally Posted by Crazy Acura
So Acura will charge their customers to make their cars less ugly? Sweet!
Old 11-22-2009, 06:23 PM
Some dude

Received 347 Likes on 203 Posts
Subaru ditched their grille after just two vehicles (Impreza, Tribeca). I think if Acura was going to do the same they would have by now. I'm hoping they at least modify the shield so that its smaller and not attached to the top portion of the grille.
Old 11-22-2009, 07:22 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
IMO the only grilles that need fixing are the TL and ZDX. Moreso the TL. I actually don't mind it on the RDX, nicer than the one it had and I really like it on the MDX. Like its been mentioned, just cut out the part that goes into the hood.
Old 11-22-2009, 08:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Let me explain this.

Ever since the advent of automobiles and right up to the beginning of 2008, there existed only 3 brands of auto class, namely the exotic brand, the luxury brand, and the economy brand. So any auto brand name which didn't belong to the exotic or luxury brand was automatically classified as economy brand. Everything was simple and clear then.

However, during the Detroit auto show in Jan. of 2008, then Honda CEO Takeo Fukui invented the word "Tier-1" to be used when delivering his speech.

Here's the background information. When Honda set up it's "luxury" auto division in 1986, it would never have dreamed that even after 23 years, the Acura brand still failed to achieve the recognition as a TRUE luxury auto brand. (Simply do a search will find all articles in 1986 stated that Honda created Acura as it's LUXURY division.) Thus, it was already acknowledged 23 years ago that the Acura brand was going after BMW and MB which were the luxury brands at that time.

As of now, the Acura brand still remains to be recognized as the wannabe-luxury brand from Honda.

However, Lexus has succeeded, with it's V8-RWD flagship accompanied with MB luxury-mobile styling cues. Acura had none and still has none !

So in 2008, after Mr. Fukui realized that it's "supposingly luxury" Acura brand was still far from gaining the luxury brand status, he invented a jargon word, "Tier-1", to cause distraction from his failure with the Acura brand. He used the word "Tier-1" luxury to describe BMW and MB, but made no attempt to clarify how this "Tier" system was determined nor to specify what "Tier" (Tier-2?, Tier-3?, Tier-4?) the wannabe-luxury Acura brand was currently at.

His sole purpose was to try to confuse people in thinking that the Acura brand was already at the some lower end scale of the luxury status, in order to cover up the fact that the Acura brand was not a TRUE luxury brand at all.

So it's not a surprise that you can hardly find any other reference to "Tier" naming/system other than from Honda/Acura.

As of today, Honda/Acura is the sole auto company using this "Tier" naming/system to gauge luxury brands. No other auto maker on earth has followed suit to use this peculiar Honda/Acura way of gauging luxury brands. Why should they ? There are always luxury brands and economy brands. Not many auto brands are getting stuck in between, selling product packages not premium enough to achieve luxury status, but expensive enough to be excluded from the economy status. Poor Acura !
Thanks. I thought I was losing my mind.
Old 11-22-2009, 08:47 PM
Advanced

Just found this report on Honda's product plans. Seems like a completely different direction from where Toyota is headed. Not exactly good news for those who were hoping the NSX project may someday be resurrected.

Toyota, Honda go separate ways on sports cars

<SCRIPT>queryvar="toyota,honda,go,separate,ways,on ,sports,cars";</SCRIPT>October 21, 2009 - 8:00 am ET
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>
CHIBA, Japan (Reuters) -- Japanese archrivals Toyota Motor Corp. and Honda Motor Co. have just found something else to disagree about: sports cars.

At the Tokyo Motor Show today, Toyota took the wraps off the Lexus LFA, a two-seater supercar with a roaring 4.8-liter V10 engine that can reach speeds of 325 km per hour (200 miles per hour) and go from zero to 100 kilometers kph (60 mph) in 3.7 seconds.
It's a car that flies in the face of the automaker's image as a pioneer of greener vehicles but one that Toyota's new boss, Akio Toyoda, says is crucial for cars to remain a product that consumers can get excited about as motorization spreads to more corners of the world.
Toyota, the world's biggest automaker, is planning to limit LFA production to 500 units, between December 2010 and December 2012, taking orders for the $375,000 car starting today.
"It's our mission as automakers to offer cars that possess the 'fun' spirit that should be at the base of any car," Toyota President Akio Toyoda said at the unveiling, noting he had been involved in the LFA's development from its early stages.

The old-fashioned way
Ask his counterpart at Honda, though, and the LFA is old-fashioned. The future, Takanobu Ito says, is about clean, sustainable cars, and sports cars are no exception.
"Sure, there are folks who like that 'vroom' of the engine out of nostalgia," Ito told Reuters earlier this month. "But those people are stuck in the past."
Japan's No.2 automaker had been preparing a successor model for its legendary NSX sports car, also with a V10 engine, but ditched those plans last year citing an urgent need to save money amid the economic downturn and the growing consumer shift toward greener cars.
"The era of V10 engines is gone," said Ito, who betrayed no sense of regret over the canned project despite having designed the ground-breaking all-aluminum body on the NSX back in 1990.

Zero-emission sports car?
Ito has other ideas for what a sports car for the next generation could look like: a zero-emission fuel-cell car like Honda's FCX Clarity, which is currently on lease in limited numbers in the United States and Japan.
Honda has never billed the sleek, hydrogen-powered sedan as a sports car, but Ito said it had all the characteristics to qualify.
"It's light because it's not weighed down by a ton of batteries," he said in a jab at the battery-powered electric sports machines built by U.S. start-up Tesla Motors.
"When you weigh a car down like that, it undermines the characteristics of a sports car.
"But if you have a light car like the FCX Clarity that's powered by a motor, you get maximum torque from a zero start and acceleration is incredible. In a way, that's a sports car."

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Source: Autmotive News
http://www.autonews.com/article/2009...910219995/1171
Old 11-22-2009, 08:56 PM
Burning Brakes

IF this is a rumor its being talked about everywhere.. When I was at my dealer on sat my sales person who is about to buy a new car said they are waiting for the redesigned grill before buying.
Old 11-22-2009, 10:16 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts

Stuck in the past? Where's the present and future Honda? Until they actually produce something for us to move into the future with, I think it would be a good idea to keep your mouth shut. Sounds like a ton or sour grapes and bitterness trying to dis-credit the LF-A.
Old 11-22-2009, 10:58 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
This ought to be interesting.....
Old 11-22-2009, 11:42 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,652 Likes on 13,891 Posts
Source...?
Old 11-23-2009, 03:09 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
I think he's missing the point of the LF-A. Sure, it's a very quick car, but their main reason for having it is to test out their new CF looms - and not just because they intend to release a car that can compete with Ferrari/Lamborghini. If they actually manage to make production of full CF parts affordable, it could pave the way for a new age of lightweight sports cars.
Old 11-23-2009, 08:00 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,659 Likes on 926 Posts
Sounds like we're heading towards a future where Scion will have a sportier lineup than Honda.
Old 11-23-2009, 08:12 AM
Banned

Received 960 Likes on 593 Posts
He's an Internet Manager, obviously.

Old 11-23-2009, 08:21 AM
Race Director

Received 624 Likes on 503 Posts
This whole notion of luxury and economy brand is bogus. You have to get down to the model level to even consider such a thing and it's totally subjective. Sure, to some badge snob a BMW 328 might be "better" than a Hyundai Genesis or a TL, but not to anyone who objectively looks at the individual car.
Old 11-23-2009, 08:32 AM
2011 ZCP E92 M3!!

im impressed with the shift that hyundai has made the genesis coupe is a reall nice car all around....when will acura come out with a new coupe?
Old 11-23-2009, 08:45 AM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
sounds like honda is bitter that toyota-the most boring and uninspiring car company when it comes to driving experiece- beat them to the supercar range.

now honda is taking the bench bitching about how their FCX clarity is a sports car.

just like a fucking ricer in a CRX whining after getting spanked by a mustang
Old 11-23-2009, 09:30 AM
99 TL, 06 E350

Received 164 Likes on 110 Posts
I knew this was coming. Hopefully the designers who did the TL design were fired.
Old 11-23-2009, 09:44 AM
What Would Don Draper Do?

interesting.

i've been reading/hearing that some dealers have been painting the gille to match the paint of the car. recently saw a black TL with a black grille. looked sharp.
Old 11-23-2009, 11:00 AM
Race Director

Received 596 Likes on 430 Posts
Originally Posted by CocheseUGA
He's an Internet Manager, obviously.

not for acura though..mbz

Quick Reply: Acura: Development and Technology News