CL: Sealed Enclosure? (Bassworx)

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 12:54 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Sealed Enclosure? (Bassworx)

Hey Guys,

I am looking for a sealed enclosure for my dual 10" type R's.

Everything seems to be real cheap. Like 50-70 dollars.....are they shitty or is that just the price.

Also I was looking at the Bassworx sealed enclosure. Looks nice. Does it do the job.....
Old 03-01-2010, 09:09 AM
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Really, Type Rs like to be run in ported boxes. In order to tell you if the box will work well, we'll need to know the volume of the enclosure. That's really what will determine the sound of a sealed enclosure.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:59 AM
Racer

i wouldnt buy a box that is already built unless it was built by a pro. i would never go to a store like bestbuy or something and just buy a box and slap my subs in it, those are the real generic boxes and a box can make or break your system. you should just go to a construction site and take some wood and try and build your own box, ported sounds a lot better btw wit alpines. you can ask car audio bass competition competitors at this site for help and measurements and what to do www.steavemeadedesgisns.com (check out the forum, anything with car audio, they know it)
Old 03-01-2010, 12:07 PM
Racer

oh btw, my friend used to run a 12typer in his truck, sealed box, sounded good if your looking for spl not sq
Old 03-01-2010, 04:38 PM
Advanced

so where do you reccomend I get a box.....or how would I build my own....
Old 03-01-2010, 06:13 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^Man, thats not necessarily true. Like Matt said, check the specs of your subwoofer, get exact dimensions, go to a future shop, or best buy website and check out the specs and dimensions of their boxes, choose 1 that will be closest to what Alpine has suggested and you are good to go. Custom made is nice but you really need to know what you want from your subwoofer, but going custom for no reason is senseless and expensive.. Hope that helped!
Old 03-01-2010, 10:01 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by myisanog
i wouldnt buy a box that is already built unless it was built by a pro. i would never go to a store like bestbuy or something and just buy a box and slap my subs in it, those are the real generic boxes and a box can make or break your system. you should just go to a construction site and take some wood and try and build your own box, ported sounds a lot better btw wit alpines. you can ask car audio bass competition competitors at this site for help and measurements and what to do www.steavemeadedesgisns.com (check out the forum, anything with car audio, they know it)
Meade's site is definitely not the best for info. If you're lookin to hug some nuts, then yeah, it's great, but not a ton of good info there. Is there some, yes, but there are better places to find large amounts of 12v knowledge. Caraudioclassifieds.org is one of the better ones, since Caraudio.com has gone downhill very very quickly.

Originally Posted by dykyy
^Man, thats not necessarily true. Like Matt said, check the specs of your subwoofer, get exact dimensions, go to a future shop, or best buy website and check out the specs and dimensions of their boxes, choose 1 that will be closest to what Alpine has suggested and you are good to go. Custom made is nice but you really need to know what you want from your subwoofer, but going custom for no reason is senseless and expensive.. Hope that helped!
My first 3 boxes cost me ~$30 each. I'd love to see you get any kind of prefab for that cost, let alone one that fit my space needs and gave me the sound that I was looking for...

Originally Posted by riefel182
so where do you reccomend I get a box.....or how would I build my own....
I will never buy another box. I will build my own from now on out. All you need is a design (can be done by several people on audio forums or a couple people on here, including myself), some wood (MDF or Birch, depending on your budget and needs), some glue, screws, and a few hours of time. It's really not that difficult if you take your time and do it right...
Old 03-02-2010, 12:48 AM
Advanced

hate to keep bothering and sound dumb....but how can I find the specs to my specific sub...

All the builds talk about being .75 or 1.00 and 3/4 something....

What does is all mean and how do I know what will be good for my sub??

Thanks!
Old 03-02-2010, 01:02 AM
6th Gear

yo i have two 10'' type R's in my tsx and I have them in a ported bassworx box...the boxes usually go for like 250 and i got a deal on mine...what does it look like is the front like black plastic or is it all carpet
Old 03-02-2010, 05:14 AM
Drifting

hate to keep bothering and sound dumb....but how can I find the specs to my specific sub...

All the builds talk about being .75 or 1.00 and 3/4 something....

What does is all mean and how do I know what will be good for my sub??

Thanks!
3/4" thick wood is the standard for building boxes. Most people use MDF since it's cheaper. Personally, I use birch because it's lighter, stronger, it cuts better (less dust), and screws dig in better, but I also pay a lot more for my boxes now (last box was ~$200 all told).

Originally Posted by morcheesee
yo i have two 10'' type R's in my tsx and I have them in a ported bassworx box...the boxes usually go for like 250 and i got a deal on mine...what does it look like is the front like black plastic or is it all carpet
And this is exactly why I build all of my boxes... $250 for a box with random stats is absolutely absurd. And I wasn't that impressed with my buddy's bassworx box either...
Old 03-02-2010, 10:58 AM
Racer

all you have to do is take the measurements of your car and post it up on meades forum and someone will help you and tell you what to do . it isnt hard. boxes from bestbuy suck, build your own if you want it to sound a certain way
Old 03-02-2010, 11:08 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by myisanog
all you have to do is take the measurements of your car and post it up on meades forum and someone will help you and tell you what to do . it isnt hard. boxes from bestbuy suck, build your own if you want it to sound a certain way
Or go to a different forum where there's a lot less nuthuggin (not only Meade's himself, but also the products he uses: Fi and RF) and a lot more good info.

And he can post dimensions here and get a box design... Why go over to Meade's forum?
Old 03-02-2010, 11:55 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by morcheesee
Old 03-02-2010, 11:57 AM
Advanced

alright. but when I build it how do I know how big ( L x W x H) it should be....

the bigger the better??? ....
Old 03-02-2010, 12:16 PM
Drifting

No. Bigger is not always better, until you know what you're doing. Then you can run larger enclosures and get away with it.

What you're going to measure then post are the maximum dimensions that you're willing to give up for your box. For example, I know the absolute maximum height and width that will fit in my trunk are 17" high and 33" wide. And even then, I have to kick it in.
Old 03-02-2010, 02:49 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
One of my old boxes for 2 12's was 33" wide 16.5 high and 18" deep. I could still get out my spare tire and the box went in and out easy.
Old 03-02-2010, 02:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
One for a 15 and one for a 12

Old 03-03-2010, 12:24 AM
Advanced

alright soo....theres sealed, ported and bandpass??

If I want a tight bass with clean sound and good quilty with little distortion.....am I correct in going with a sealed enclosure?
Old 03-03-2010, 09:02 AM
Drifting

Contrary to common perception, you can get that type of sound from any enclosure. It's all in the design. I've run all 3 in my car, and both the sealed and bandpass enclosures gave me extremely tight response. The ported and bandpass designs were the loudest for sure, but still. A bandpass is technically a "Best of both worlds" type of situation, but they are also very finicky with the design and take up more space. So if you're willing to give up the space, you can get a very well balanced sound that is also extremely loud. Keep in mind though, that my trunk is basically worthless, my box cost ~$200, and it weighs north of 150lbs. So there are very large compromises for bandpass boxes, but if you ask me, they're worth it.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:25 AM
Advanced

Dang! And when you say around 200 dollars, that was just in parts??

Jeeze that's a lot to think about, so I should post my dimensions on this Meades guys' website and someone will give me a construction build consisting of dimensions and whether to make it sealed, ported or bandpass?
Old 03-03-2010, 09:31 AM
6th Gear

everything you need to know

Dang! And when you say around 200 dollars, that was just in parts??

Jeeze that's a lot to think about, so I should post my dimensions on this Meades guys' website and someone will give me a construction build consisting of dimensions and whether to make it sealed, ported or bandpass?

yo I have worked in car audio for like 3 years and I have the bassworx ported enclosure and it does a very good job I was gonna build my own custom box but this box matins good solid deep bass and does good with the mid range bass especially with the 10'' that what i have. The 10'' ported or sealed are the perfect size for the 10'' Type R's Ive had mine in it for about a year, what kind of amp do u have and what gauge wire are you using it will all make a big difference...hit me up if u have any other questions....unless your looking to do a sick custom fiberglass box or something the bassworx is fine..