TLX Type S release thread; prices, trims and availability

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2021, 03:52 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,429 Likes on 1,879 Posts
Just heard back from one of my local dealerships.

Demo unit is arriving soon, they will not be doing any test drives of it, and will sell it after the 60 days is up with a $10K market adjustment. Yeah...I'm not about to buy a car without test driving it, let alone paying an extra $10K markup on a car that I can't test drive first. So much for Acura's attempt at trying to get as many people into the seat as possible, at least here in California.

Last edited by fiatlux; 06-21-2021 at 04:01 PM.
Old 06-21-2021, 04:05 PM
Safety Car

Heard back from another dealership. Demo unit is arriving this week, and they're pricing them at $64K. No test drives without a purchase agreement.
Old 06-21-2021, 04:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by SRB-TL
Looks like Honda wised up from the Civic Type R fiasco.

I talked to two Chicago dealers who have TLX-S in stock, they both said the same thing. Acura gave them seeder units for test drives and demos only. No sales, no offers, no pressure, no BS about "must buy to test drive", no deposits needed, no credit checks needed. Just schedule your 30 min and go drive it. I am glad Honda did this.

I'm going on Thursday to drive a white one.

I'll post my thoughts at the time. But so far, good job Acura on keeping the reins on the dealers.
Looks like they did not keep the reins on all of them.
Old 06-21-2021, 04:08 PM
Safety Car

Heard back from a third dealership; it's a ways out, but they got their demo unit today and are doing test drives. I guess the question now is whether I want to drive a couple hours just to test drive it...
Old 06-21-2021, 04:16 PM
Three Wheelin'

I talked to two Chicago dealers who have TLX-S in stock, they both said the same thing. Acura gave them seeder units for test drives and demos only. No sales, no offers, no pressure, no BS about "must buy to test drive", no deposits needed, no credit checks needed. Just schedule your 30 min and go drive it. I am glad Honda did this.

I'll post my thoughts at the time. But so far, good job Acura on keeping the reins on the dealers.
Old 06-21-2021, 04:21 PM
Safety Car

Should we start a naughty/nice list for dealerships that are charging markups or not allowing test drives?
The following 5 users liked this post by fiatlux:
BEAR-AvHistory (06-21-2021), ELIN (06-21-2021), JDM_DOHC_SiR (06-21-2021), loki (06-21-2021), pyrodan007 (06-22-2021)
Old 06-21-2021, 04:25 PM
Instructor

Received 337 Likes on 118 Posts
Originally Posted by fiatlux
Heard back from another dealership. Demo unit is arriving this week, and they're pricing them at $64K. No test drives without a purchase agreement.
Tell them you're going to corporate, that's completely asinine to expect someone to buy a car before driving it. Sounds like Honda/Acura does not approve of this behavior. I don't know what your threats can possibly do, if you can actually file a complaint or if it'd phase them at all but that's such a shitty way to handle it. These aren't super cars. Guarantee it's just greed as they want to sell it brand new down the road. In my opinion if you're seriously interested go to that dealer a few hours away, take it for a spin and if you decide you want one buy one from them instead.
The following users liked this post:
robnalex (06-22-2021)
Old 06-21-2021, 04:30 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by DubPK
Tell them you're going to corporate, that's completely asinine to expect someone to buy a car before driving it. Sounds like Honda/Acura does not approve of this behavior. I don't know what your threats can possibly do, if you can actually file a complaint or if it'd phase them at all but that's such a shitty way to handle it. These aren't super cars. Guarantee it's just greed as they want to sell it brand new down the road. In my opinion if you're seriously interested go to that dealer a few hours away, take it for a spin and if you decide you want one buy one from them instead.
Problem is that the one that's offering test drives is no doubt also marking it up $10K. Even if it drives absolutely amazingly, I don't think it can convince my right-brain that it's both worth the $10K ADM as well as make up for my (well-documented) complaints about the rear seats.
Old 06-21-2021, 04:31 PM
Racer

Received 310 Likes on 143 Posts
Heard back from a third dealership; it's a ways out, but they got their demo unit today and are doing test drives. I guess the question now is whether I want to drive a couple hours just to test drive it...
Man, Cali... at least you got the good weather!
Old 06-21-2021, 04:31 PM
Pro

Received 182 Likes on 139 Posts
Don’t buy the car from ANY dealerships do things like this! That’s how the consumer stops this behavior. The problem is when buyers just have to have the car no matter what (as that buyer is most likely to be taken advantage of). Wait them out!!
DubPK (06-21-2021)
Old 06-21-2021, 04:39 PM
®

Received 473 Likes on 224 Posts
Just heard back from one of my local dealerships.

Demo unit is arriving soon, they will not be doing any test drives of it, and will sell it after the 60 days is up with a $10K market adjustment. Yeah...I'm not about to buy a car without test driving it, let alone paying an extra $10K markup on a car that I can't test drive first. So much for Acura's attempt at trying to get as many people into the seat as possible, at least here in California.
Originally Posted by jjsC5
Should we start a naughty/nice list for dealerships that are charging markups or not allowing test drives?
Originally Posted by Midwestuser1
Don’t buy the car from ANY dealerships do things like this! That’s how the consumer stops this behavior. The problem is when buyers just have to have the car no matter what (as that buyer is most likely to be taken advantage of). Wait them out!!
That is straight up garbage dealer. Both I talked to don't have the best reputation and can be very pushy, I've bough from both before. Yet, BOTH said the same thing - no strings attached 20-30 minute drives (local roads and I94 highway). Guy said they already have 200 miles on it from people driving it. AND - and....the best part, Morton Grove said $0.00 mark up - what you see on window sticker (MSRP+color premium+Dest) is what you pay. I would ask that idiot what does "DEMO" mean if not to test drive the car? That's what demos are! LITTERALY! And tell him to shove that $10K up his ass.
The following 9 users liked this post by loki:
04WDPSeDaN (06-22-2021), BOWA41 (06-21-2021), Camaro194 (06-21-2021), DubPK (06-21-2021), ELIN (06-21-2021), JDM_DOHC_SiR (06-21-2021), pyrodan007 (06-22-2021), Shadow2056 (06-21-2021), someguy11 (06-21-2021) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-21-2021, 06:24 PM
Drifting

Received 1,246 Likes on 904 Posts
There are many examples of where Acura is leaps behind Honda. For example, you can get a $20K Civic EX and you'll get an OEM remote starter. You can't get that on TLX or RDX even on a $50K Advance trims which is comical!
FYI: the TLX Advance trim has Remote Start as a button on the key fob. All other trims can do Remote Start if you pay monthly for the app feature.

Not sure about the RDX but I would imagine it's the same.
Old 06-21-2021, 06:24 PM
Safety Car

Heard back from some more: largely no demo drives...BUT there's one out in the boonies that claim they won't be marking it up. I guess I should start summarizing if it's helpful for others to know which dealerships not to bother wasting their time with.
  • Acura of Serramonte (Daly City, CA)
    • Test Drive: No
    • ADM: $10K
  • Acura Stevens Creek (San Jose, CA)
  • Acura of Fremont (Fremont, CA)
    • Test Drive: Yes
    • ADM: ?
  • Marin Acura (Corte Madera, CA)
    • ADM: Won't say
  • Hansel Acura (Santa Rosa, CA)
    • ADM: $5K
  • Oakland Acura (Oakland, CA)
    • ADM: "Market pricing"
  • Acura of Modesto (Modesto, CA)
    • ADM: NONE!!!!!!!!! (verbal, who knows if they'll renege once they start getting slammed with interest)
Still waiting on about 5 or 6 more to respond back.
The following 2 users liked this post by fiatlux:
someguy11 (06-22-2021), sonyfever (06-21-2021)
Old 06-21-2021, 06:29 PM
Drifting

Heard back from some more: largely no demo drives...BUT there's one out in the boonies that claim they won't be marking it up. I guess I should start summarizing if it's helpful for others to know which dealerships not to bother wasting their time with.
    • ADM: NONE!!!!!!!!! (verbal, who knows if they'll renege once they start getting slammed with interest)
This info may be easier to find and cleaner in its own thread!
Old 06-21-2021, 06:56 PM
Instructor

Problem is that the one that's offering test drives is no doubt also marking it up $10K. Even if it drives absolutely amazingly, I don't think it can convince my right-brain that it's both worth the $10K ADM as well as make up for my (well-documented) complaints about the rear seats.
It's not worth $10K ADM even if you absolutely love it. Dealers are making good money even at MSRP, no reason to pay more than that even in today's market.
Old 06-21-2021, 07:26 PM
®

Originally Posted by ELIN
FYI: the TLX Advance trim has Remote Start as a button on the key fob. All other trims can do Remote Start if you pay monthly for the app feature.

Not sure about the RDX but I would imagine it's the same.
1st Gen TLX Advance had OEM remote starter on the key fob. 2nd Gen doesn't come with it on any trim (same goes for the RDX). I've looked into this at the dealership several times and I'm 100% sure about it. You can buy it as a dealer add-on ($500) or use the subscription service through the Acura app. MDX is the only one that comes with it (Advance only).
Old 06-21-2021, 07:36 PM
Drifting

1st Gen TLX Advance had OEM remote starter on the key fob. 2nd Gen doesn't come with it on any trim (same goes for the RDX). I've looked into this at the dealership several times and I'm 100% sure about it. You can buy it as a dealer add-on ($500) or use the subscription service through the Acura app. MDX is the only one that comes with it (Advance only).
So I guess moviechick (TLX Advanced owner) made it up?

Originally Posted by moviechick
I have it in my key fobs in Pittsburgh. Don’t plan on paying for the senseless subscription. For what we paid for the car it should be free, like most other car manufacturers.
Old 06-21-2021, 07:55 PM
Instructor

Type S comes with remote start on the fob as well as verified in reviews and dealers I've talked to confirmed it as well. Advance and S are the only ones to get it by default to my knowledge, really should be standard to the counter point.
The following 2 users liked this post by DubPK:
djhtsx (06-21-2021), ELIN (06-21-2021)
Old 06-21-2021, 08:08 PM
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Walser Acura in Wichita,

Black on Black Type S,

~2300 Under MSRP no haggle price. You can check on the website. I have no idea what other fees they would tack on.
BOWA41 (06-21-2021)
Old 06-21-2021, 08:21 PM
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 19 Posts
Frank Leta Acura in St. Louis

Test drive available no commitment. MSRP + Accessories for pricing.
Old 06-21-2021, 08:33 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by massappeals
Walser Acura in Wichita,

Black on Black Type S,

~2300 Under MSRP no haggle price. You can check on the website. I have no idea what other fees they would tack on.
They want $657 a month with two ** but did not see the terms. Any idea what they are ?
Old 06-21-2021, 08:57 PM
Pro

Received 542 Likes on 265 Posts
Anyone have Black Type S pics in the wild. Have not seen one yet.
Old 06-21-2021, 09:00 PM
Safety Car

Two more dealerships to avoid
  • Hopkins Acura (Redwood City, CA)
    • ADM: $7K
  • Elk Grove Acura (Elk Grove, CA)
    • Test Drive: ?
The following 2 users liked this post by fiatlux:
someguy11 (06-22-2021), Xterminator (06-22-2021)
Old 06-21-2021, 09:09 PM
Cruisin'

Received 24 Likes on 6 Posts
Has anyone in Canada ordered a tiger eye Pearl and were you able to get the Orchid interior
Old 06-21-2021, 09:22 PM
Pro

Received 267 Likes on 145 Posts
There are quite a few Type S on autotrader selling for MRSP

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...&numRecords=25
Old 06-21-2021, 09:48 PM
®

Type S comes with remote start on the fob as well as verified in reviews and dealers I've talked to confirmed it as well. Advance and S are the only ones to get it by default to my knowledge, really should be standard to the counter point.
That fob is dealer installed and can be had on any trim. I absolutely, 100% guarantee you that it's not from factory like that. Call the dealership and ask.
Old 06-21-2021, 09:56 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Received 432 Likes on 299 Posts

EXACTLY CORRECT: Acura told the dealers they would send one unit for them to "show, tell, and drive." AND, that they are NOT supposed to sell that unit for 30 days. NOW...some dealers will choose
NOT to follow what they were told. I guess there is no "penalty" if they don't. I will ask my Mgr. tomorrow.

He already told me he has a Black/Black coming in as his "show and tell" unit. When it's there he will notify me so I can go see it, drive it etc. That's what it's there for, and my dealer
is honoring that guidance from Acura. He has 2 or 3 others due in almost same time that he had ordered. He has at least 9 pre sold. NO ADM!

He said that it won't be all that long before the 2022 will be avail to order. Around Oct. I think. IF I like the Type S then I will wait for the '22. Receive before end of year, IF I get in on
the first order, which he will do for me. There will be more inventory avail. to sell vs. the 2,000 that Acura is bldg for '21 models. Many of his customers are now going to wait for that
orderable '22. Makes sense to have a '22 model in 2021....getting a "jump start" on the '22 model year.
loki (06-22-2021)
Old 06-21-2021, 10:12 PM
Instructor

That fob is dealer installed and can be had on any trim. I absolutely, 100% guarantee you that it's not from factory like that. Call the dealership and ask.
I literally did last month, the guy even double checked with with his distract manager at Acura for me and confirmed that the Type S (I admittedly have not talked about the Advance much with any dealers) comes with remote start on the fob. I'm not just casually talking to them either, I have a thousand bucks down for a October build slot (refundable until I drive it and see if I actually wanna move on it.). Many reviews shows the type s exclusive fob with remote start on it as well.

https://acuranews.com/en-US/releases...year-of-type-s

Acura's press release also shows TLX 2.0T Remote Engine start Available and Type S it's dotted. Type S according to Acura, the dealers and reviewers DOES come with remote start on the fob.
The following 3 users liked this post by DubPK:
ELIN (06-21-2021), loki (06-22-2021), WTF.Acura (06-22-2021)
Old 06-21-2021, 10:18 PM
Pro

The Type S is confirmed to have remote start as standard.
The following 3 users liked this post by djhtsx:
a35tl (06-21-2021), loki (06-22-2021), Shadow2056 (06-22-2021)
Old 06-21-2021, 10:19 PM
Instructor

Twinkies guy goes over the key fob at 15:20, remote engine start is there.
Old 06-21-2021, 10:20 PM
Pro

Shadow2056 (06-22-2021)
Old 06-21-2021, 10:31 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 389 Likes on 271 Posts
Heard back from some more: largely no demo drives
Thanks for the effort. Gotta say not surprised at all to see South Bay and Peninsula dealerships asking outrageous ADM. Los Gatos Acura tend to be more down-to-earth on price so hopefully they will also let people test drive the car. AutoNation may say they don't do test drives, but in reality I think they reserve the mileages only to serious buyers.
Old 06-21-2021, 10:53 PM
Instructor

Received 234 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by jpsi2002
Has anyone in Canada ordered a tiger eye Pearl and were you able to get the Orchid interior
only option in canada for interior with tiger eye is black. Orchid not an option on any model in Canada.

bilirubin (06-22-2021)
Old 06-22-2021, 07:18 AM
®

I literally did last month, the guy even double checked with with his distract manager at Acura for me and confirmed that the Type S (I admittedly have not talked about the Advance much with any dealers) comes with remote start on the fob. I'm not just casually talking to them either, I have a thousand bucks down for a October build slot (refundable until I drive it and see if I actually wanna move on it.). Many reviews shows the type s exclusive fob with remote start on it as well.

https://acuranews.com/en-US/releases...year-of-type-s

Acura's press release also shows TLX 2.0T Remote Engine start Available and Type S it's dotted. Type S according to Acura, the dealers and reviewers DOES come with remote start on the fob.
Originally Posted by djhtsx
The Type S is confirmed to have remote start as standard.
https:// youtu.be/LXLcmMyjmbA?

Twinkies guy goes over the key fob at 15:20, remote engine start is there.
Originally Posted by djhtsx
Where did I say Type S doesn't have it? I was strictly talking about Base through Advance. As seen from my comments and people who I was conversing with.
Old 06-22-2021, 08:01 AM
Three Wheelin'

You're contradicting yourself. You said how the market adjusts but these Civics continue to sell for astronomical prices. If what you're saying is true ("has") that means no one is paying mark ups and dealers are adjusting to it. But they're not adjusting, meaning that people ARE paying these prices for Civics. It's not the dealership fault. It's consumers who are doing this even 4 years later. And it's Honda's fault too. They flat out don't give a shit about it, no matter how many people contacted them over it since 2017. Dodge put a quick stop to Demon and Hellcat mark ups. They said anyone caught marking them up will never get another one. That's why you can go to Dodge dealership and buy a Hellcat or Hellcat Redeye for MSRP if you can afford it. Ford did the same with Mach-E. They spanked the dealers who were marking them up and now they're all MSRP when and where available. Honda on the other hand...playing stupid for 4 years. What's more comical is all the reviewers who get Type R from Honda talk about the car how it costs $36K and not one of them mentions mark ups. They all hush about it. Same thing on Honda website. You go spec out a Type R at $36K and click request local inventory contact and then dealer emails you back and says come on in, we've got one and it's only $45K plus $10K of gimmick accessories, it's all yours for only $55K. When you tell Honda this, you get this response: .................................................. crickets.......................................... .......................

Dynamically, maybe. But at the end of the day, it IS still just a Civic. R or not, you're paying $45, 50, 60K for a Honda Civic.
I don’t know what you are talking about when you say that I said “the market adjusts”. The only thing I remotely have posted like that was in reference to the current used car market.

Every reference I see on this forum about what the Civic R is selling for is based upon what dealers are asking. That does not meaning they are selling for that. I’m sure that there are some selling way over list, but my guess is that those are outliers. I believe they could be going over list, just not the big numbers.
loki (06-22-2021)
Old 06-22-2021, 08:08 AM
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 86 Posts
In 1999 I purchased a TL. In 2000 the CL-S came out and I decided I wanted something more sporty than the TL and got one of the first off the assembly line and certainly overpaid. Like most here, I've been waiting for the TLX-S with great interest for a long time. In March my 2001 CL-S and my wife's 2004 Saab 9.3 Arc 2.0T both needed more work than we wanted to spend on 17-21-year-old cars. I test drove the TLX, and though I longed for a tad more power (still do) I really liked it (still do). Our two old cars were falling apart (the Saab wasn't even driveable) and we couldn't wait. So although I'm still very interested in the Type-S, I now have a very nice car to drive while I watch all this craziness and wait for it to pass. At some point within the next 12 months, the Type-S will become available at a reasonable price and I'll have a nice, low-mileage TLX to trade. I guess I've gotten a little smarter over the past 21 years.
DJ Iceman (06-23-2021)
Old 06-22-2021, 08:44 AM
®

Originally Posted by jjsC5
I don’t know what you are talking about when you say that I said “the market adjusts”. The only thing I remotely have posted like that was in reference to the current used car market.

Every reference I see on this forum about what the Civic R is selling for is based upon what dealers are asking. That does not meaning they are selling for that. I’m sure that there are some selling way over list, but my guess is that those are outliers. I believe they could be going over list, just not the big numbers.
I'm saying people have been waiting 4+ years for market to adjust and settle down, yet the CTR continues to sell for stupid high prices.
Old 06-22-2021, 09:10 AM
Some Guy Who Loves Cars

Received 280 Likes on 173 Posts
Originally Posted by robnalex
In 1999 I purchased a TL. In 2000 the CL-S came out and I decided I wanted something more sporty than the TL and got one of the first off the assembly line and certainly overpaid. Like most here, I've been waiting for the TLX-S with great interest for a long time. In March my 2001 CL-S and my wife's 2004 Saab 9.3 Arc 2.0T both needed more work than we wanted to spend on 17-21-year-old cars. I test drove the TLX, and though I longed for a tad more power (still do) I really liked it (still do). Our two old cars were falling apart (the Saab wasn't even driveable) and we couldn't wait. So although I'm still very interested in the Type-S, I now have a very nice car to drive while I watch all this craziness and wait for it to pass. At some point within the next 12 months, the Type-S will become available at a reasonable price and I'll have a nice, low-mileage TLX to trade. I guess I've gotten a little smarter over the past 21 years.
First of all, nice cars. I loved that generation of the CL. That and the Legend Coupe... what awesome cars those were. Same for the Saab. I loved both that and previous generation body style. The first time I went car shopping for real (my first car after college) I went looking for a 9-3 Viggen or Aero. Ended up with an A4. But to your point, your post shows really good discipline in an age of instant gratification and human nature wanting the best and shiniest new toys. Kudos to you.

I'm saying people have been waiting 4+ years for market to adjust and settle down, yet the CTR continues to sell for stupid high prices.
I passed a CTR yesterday, merely days after seeing the markup discussion here as well as the video someone posted of the CTR beating a Camry TRD in a drag race, then barely beating an Accord 2.0T in the same drag race. Ouch. I mean, to each their own to those who want to pay $60k for a hatchback with a big wing on it, put BBR rims on it, slap a "two in the pink one in the stink" sticker on the rear window and barely beat an Accord in a race. Imagine if we all aspired to reach ricer level: mastery.

As for me personally, I've outgrown my fast and furious days. I want a sleeper. Enter the Type S, or what the Type S should be - the Anti Type R.

Last edited by someguy11; 06-22-2021 at 09:14 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by someguy11:
ELIN (06-22-2021), loki (06-22-2021)
Old 06-22-2021, 09:15 AM
®

Originally Posted by someguy11
First of all, nice cars. I loved that generation of the CL. That and the Legend Coupe... what awesome cars those were. Same for the Saab. I loved both that and previous generation body style. The first time I went car shopping for real (my first car after college) I went looking for a 9-3 Viggen or Aero. Ended up with an A4. But to your point, your post shows really good discipline in an age of instant gratification and human nature wanting the best and shiniest new toys. Kudos to you.

I passed a CTR yesterday, merely days after seeing the markup discussion here as well as the video someone posted of the CTR beating a Camry TRD in a drag race, then barely beating an Accord 2.0T in the same drag race. Ouch. I mean, to each their own to those who want to pay $60k for a hatchback with a big wing on it, put BBR rims on it, slap a "two in the pink one in the stink" sticker on the rear window and barely beat an Accord in a race. We should all aspire to reach ricer level: mastery.
Couldn't have said it better. Also, go watch some CTR vides on YouTube (from owners, not reviewers). Every one of them exactly what you would imagine. Hat backwards, white or colorized sunglasses, lots of use of the word "bro", annoying background music when trying to say something in the video, etc. It's very track capable but no one tracks it. It looks like a clown car.
The following 2 users liked this post by loki:
BOWA41 (06-22-2021), someguy11 (06-22-2021)
Old 06-22-2021, 10:12 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by someguy11
I passed a CTR yesterday, merely days after seeing the markup discussion here as well as the video someone posted of the CTR beating a Camry TRD in a drag race, then barely beating an Accord 2.0T in the same drag race. Ouch. I mean, to each their own to those who want to pay $60k for a hatchback with a big wing on it, put BBR rims on it, slap a "two in the pink one in the stink" sticker on the rear window and barely beat an Accord in a race. Imagine if we all aspired to reach ricer level: mastery.

As for me personally, I've outgrown my fast and furious days. I want a sleeper. Enter the Type S, or what the Type S should be - the Anti Type R.
Man and sadly the car appeals to those most likely to be unable to afford a $60k car, kids straight out of college or worse taking out extra student loans for a down payment or something during college and the dealers are just preying on them with mark up knowing they haven't learned much better yet. Taking out a thousand bucks for a down on a $60k hatch worth $30k with 600+ dollar payments no doubt.

Agree about the styling to, it just looks too much like a boy racer car from a fast and furious movie which unfortunately fuels the problem above. I'm fine with some flashiness or style, like the S in Tiger Eye is fine or an S4 in that awesome turbo blue but when we start talking gawdy body kits and giant damn wings count me out lol. Even when I was a younger man I couldn't stand that crap it's just over the top.
The following 2 users liked this post by DubPK:
BEAR-AvHistory (06-22-2021), someguy11 (06-22-2021)

Quick Reply: TLX Type S release thread; prices, trims and availability