2021+ Acura TLX & TLX TYPE S Sales Numbers

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2022, 06:41 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,598 Likes on 961 Posts
Originally Posted by leomio2.0
Low hanging fruit. It's the only brand that he can compare Acura to that will consistently put Acura on top. I think with Nissan killing off the Maxima, we can kiss any expectation of a Q50RS successor (and TLX-S competitor) good-bye. =(
As I said you are a funny guy. I am starting to love your "sense of humor." Let me ask you a question now. Let's say Acura is a shitty brand, unknown....expensive for nothing and no brand prestige....and so on. Why do you spend half of your day here? if you do the math, do you know what percent of your precious time is spent here?

I cannot wait to hear your funny answer
Old 08-08-2022, 06:47 PM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by F23A4
The MDX Type S sells fairly well around here but, not sure outside of the Northeast. I've seen far more of these than the TLX Type S. (Almost see as many MDX Type S as I do ANY 2G TLX, tbh)

To be quite honest, I travel past Park Ave Acura often. For the last 4 months, I've seen a handful of the same MDX-S sitting on the lot. A majority of their new vehicles are MDX and a good portion of that is the type-s. When I worked for Park Ave, a lot of their customers didn't want to spend money on basic services like filters or wiper inserts. They just aren't the type of people to spend money. Most of the Acura's that came into the shop were the lowest trims. This was before the type-s came out for the MDX and TLX. My 1st time seeing an MDX-S was at the BMW Turnersville show. I walked over to the Acura dealership and they had 4 outside with a 10K markup. The last time I've seen a gathering of type-s, was at a cars and coffee event at Garden State Mall, which I took photos of. I rarely see them and I travel all over NJ for service calls. My current bigger projects are all by the Princeton area and I'm coming from the Fort Lee area. There's one guy in Cliffside Park who owns a blue TLX-S and I see it parked by his home. I'm not doubting you, unless middlesex county has a ton of them, I just don't see them.
Old 08-08-2022, 08:55 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,666 Likes on 930 Posts
Originally Posted by 04WDPSeDaN
To be quite honest, I travel past Park Ave Acura often. For the last 4 months, I've seen a handful of the same MDX-S sitting on the lot. A majority of their new vehicles are MDX and a good portion of that is the type-s. When I worked for Park Ave, a lot of their customers didn't want to spend money on basic services like filters or wiper inserts. They just aren't the type of people to spend money. Most of the Acura's that came into the shop were the lowest trims. This was before the type-s came out for the MDX and TLX. My 1st time seeing an MDX-S was at the BMW Turnersville show. I walked over to the Acura dealership and they had 4 outside with a 10K markup. The last time I've seen a gathering of type-s, was at a cars and coffee event at Garden State Mall, which I took photos of. I rarely see them and I travel all over NJ for service calls. My current bigger projects are all by the Princeton area and I'm coming from the Fort Lee area. There's one guy in Cliffside Park who owns a blue TLX-S and I see it parked by his home. I'm not doubting you, unless middlesex county has a ton of them, I just don't see them.
Well, I have no reason to fabricate my observation but I'm also not exactly extolling the MDX as the second coming of the Toyota Camry LE. But I'll be happy to use my new Hero10 or iPhone13 Pro to capture these observations....and I promise they wont be photoshopped.
The following users liked this post:
Tony Pac (08-09-2022)
Old 08-09-2022, 02:26 PM
Pro

Received 433 Likes on 249 Posts
Well, I have no reason to fabricate my observation but I'm also not exactly extolling the MDX as the second coming of the Toyota Camry LE. But I'll be happy to use my new Hero10 or iPhone13 Pro to capture these observations....and I promise they wont be photoshopped.
I have seen a few MDX Type S around town here as well which doesn’t come at a surprise since most of the vehicles in my region are SUVs. One trip to work I saw two and the other day a TEP Type S parked next to me at a target.

The following 4 users liked this post by richii0207:
F23A4 (09-14-2022), MarcoTLX (08-09-2022), silverTL6 (10-04-2022), WTF.Acura (08-09-2022)
Old 08-09-2022, 03:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 255 Posts
Originally Posted by richii0207
the other day a TEP Type S parked next to me at a target.
I suppose good idea to park next the shopping-cart fence (since that just leaves one side exposed) but I still wonder why you picked it with that many free spaces available.
I usually park in "no man's land" when possible.

Nice Target with covered parking and all. Is that common in your neck-of-the-woods ?
Old 08-09-2022, 03:06 PM
Burning Brakes

One trip to work I saw two and the other day a TEP Type S parked next to me at a target.
One other question.

How did you know the (recent model) MDX was a Type-S. Was it the red brake calipers, or did you walk-over and find the Type-S badge?
Old 08-09-2022, 03:08 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Tesla1856
I suppose good idea to park next the shopping-cart fence (since that just leaves one side exposed) but I still wonder why you picked it with that many free spaces available.

Nice Target with covered parking and all. Is that common in your neck-of-the-woods ?
That’s actually the back of the parking lot 😝. I prefer corner parkings with a barrier to provide protection for those carts that move from strong winds. Last week I saw a cart run into a car parked out in the “no man’s land”.

Another benefit is that I’d only have one person parking next to me if they do decide to go that far out. Given that I park close to the barrier, it’ll give me lots of space between the neighboring car.

That target was in another city. My local targets don’t have EV chargers nor sheltered parking. ☹️

One other question.

How did you know the (recent model) MDX was a Type-S. Was it the red brake calipers, or did you walk-over and find the Type-S badge?
The color, wheels, brakes and the badging just by walking towards my car. It was gorgeous up-close. Now I have to make sure I stay away from them at the dealership for my next service so I don’t get any ideas. 😆

Last edited by richii0207; 08-09-2022 at 03:12 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by richii0207:
MarcoTLX (08-09-2022), Tesla1856 (08-09-2022), WTF.Acura (08-09-2022)
Old 08-09-2022, 04:01 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,146 Likes on 818 Posts

Never a good idea to park right next to the shopping cart fence. Lots of shoppers play "shoot a goal" when returning their shopping cart back into the cart chute.

If they miss, the cart will go straight into the parked vehicle's fender and/or door.

The following 3 users liked this post by Edward'TLS:
ELIN (08-09-2022), MarcoTLX (08-09-2022), pyrodan007 (08-12-2022)
Old 08-09-2022, 04:13 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
Never a good idea to park right next to the shopping cart fence. Lots of shoppers play "shoot a goal" when returning their shopping cart back into the cart chute.

If they miss, the cart will go straight into the parked vehicle's fender and/or door.
Very true! The shopping cart collector is really far from the store in the photo which is why there’s no carts there.

No place is safe! Under a tree = bird dive bombers or tree sap, far out = stray carts.

Last edited by richii0207; 08-09-2022 at 04:25 PM.
Old 08-09-2022, 04:40 PM
Pro

Couldn’t edit my existing post but this is me parked at my “ideal spot”. Just not with the Type S. 😄

The following 6 users liked this post by richii0207:
a35tl (08-10-2022), bilirubin (08-10-2022), Edward'TLS (08-09-2022), MarcoTLX (08-09-2022), silverTL6 (10-04-2022), Tesla1856 (08-09-2022) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-09-2022, 06:09 PM
Burning Brakes

No place is safe! .
Agreed. Also seen some kids flinging their doors open (but seems like parents should teach their kids better).

Seems like there are lots of inconsiderate people out there. Or, maybe just not respecting other people's property in public spaces. Is it even possibly resentment?

I don't know ... even when I drove my old 2004 Accord-V6, I was always very careful around other people's shiny new cars.
Old 08-09-2022, 06:25 PM
6G TLX-S

Couldn’t edit my existing post but this is me parked at my “ideal spot”. Just not with the Type S. 😄
100% agree. The double-line separation between adjacent parking stalls does wonder in maximizing the spacing between parked vehicles.

Old 08-09-2022, 06:30 PM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,317 Posts

Never accused you of fabricating such stories. It was mearly my own observation, take it for what it's worth.

I attend many shows on Sundays. It was the very 1st show, in a long time, that i've seen Acura's roll out together. One owner was in the same group I was in when I joined Acurazine (TSV with RodneyNYC). I walked over, gave them props and snapped photos. Posted them here to Acurazine as contribution towards the Acura community. How is the Hero10? Maybe one of these days you can meet up with us.
Old 09-02-2022, 05:51 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 672 Likes on 417 Posts

MDX must have a sizably larger profit margin than the RDX. The biggest WTF is with the Ridgeline ...
Old 09-09-2022, 10:23 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 328 Likes on 239 Posts
Originally Posted by leomio2.0

MDX must have a sizably larger profit margin than the RDX. The biggest WTF is with the Ridgeline ...
How on earth are the auto dealers going to survive? I hate when people say it’s a chip shortage, it’s gone on for well over a year - there are other things limiting building these vehicles (a squeeze from overseas suppliers?). New vehicle production may be in a decline, but used cars inventories are increasing, used car prices are declining - all helped by the 15k repos daily. Just go look at a carmax lot, they are bursting at the seams.
Old 09-10-2022, 08:42 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 537 Likes on 346 Posts
Originally Posted by Texasrdx21
How on earth are the auto dealers going to survive? I hate when people say it’s a chip shortage, it’s gone on for well over a year - there are other things limiting building these vehicles (a squeeze from overseas suppliers?). New vehicle production may be in a decline, but used cars inventories are increasing, used car prices are declining - all helped by the 15k repos daily. Just go look at a carmax lot, they are bursting at the seams.
You can't view it as, "It's been going on for a while so it should be better by now," because the factors that have contributed to it never got better (as in there has yet to be a recovery from the issues). Analysts are saying it will last through 2023 now.

But yes a bright spot [for buyers] is that used car prices are declining quickly.
Old 09-10-2022, 02:14 PM
Racer

Received 236 Likes on 148 Posts
Honda seems to have been impacted by the supply chain mess more than other manufacturers and no reporter to my knowledge has asked Honda why that is. There is a chip shortage as we all are aware but Honda's production and sales have been worse than Toyota, Mazda etc. as well as the Korean manufacturers. Would be interesting to learn why and how this happened.
JDM_809 (09-10-2022)
Old 09-10-2022, 02:32 PM
Drifting

Received 1,248 Likes on 906 Posts
Originally Posted by Pens Fan
Honda seems to have been impacted by the supply chain mess more than other manufacturers and no reporter to my knowledge has asked Honda why that is. There is a chip shortage as we all are aware but Honda's production and sales have been worse than Toyota, Mazda etc. as well as the Korean manufacturers. Would be interesting to learn why and how this happened.
My guess all along is that Honda/Acura hedged in the wrong direction. Time to hire folks that understand how to manage risk and uncertainty.
Old 09-10-2022, 02:45 PM
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 9 Posts
Yes, this is a major concern.

I get anxiety driving my Honda Civic Hatchback Touring. It’s like you don’t know if your going to find another one or get a good deal as you original got which is just MSRP if something happens to it.

Our car was backed into and it took like 2 weeks plus to get back for backordered small parts that the end we chose not to wait and the body shop just put it back together.

Nonetheless people still drive careless and terrible.

Pens Fan (09-11-2022)
Old 09-11-2022, 08:38 AM
Three Wheelin'

Toyota is in a similar boat, though, and the Toyota dealerships in my area are still pretty barren on the new side and they had some rough quarters so far this year. But what is making them slightly better is that they shifted resources after a plant shutdown earlier this year so they were able to trickle out vehicles.

I read on a Honda site recently that they may need to issue only one key fob for new cars but will give you extra traditional keys in case that one breaks.
Old 09-11-2022, 12:22 PM
Adept Acura Enthusiast

Received 340 Likes on 229 Posts
Originally Posted by ESHBG
I read on a Honda site recently that they may need to issue only one key fob for new cars but will give you extra traditional keys in case that one breaks.
I hope Acura doesn't do that cause I'm gonna nitpick not having 2 keys with a luxury car. I actually did it with my current TLX.. I didn't care if it was used and the previous owner didn't have 2 keys I want a 2nd key regardless cause thats how its supposed to be. I made a big fuss and it was very petty but I got that 2nd key cut and programmed to my car lol.
ESHBG (09-11-2022)
Old 10-04-2022, 03:46 PM
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts
Anyone have the September sales figures?
Old 10-04-2022, 04:10 PM
Pro

Received 499 Likes on 244 Posts
Originally Posted by DLM1213
Anyone have the September sales figures?
here ya go! looks like Acura is prioritizing MDX and Integra production over the TLX and RDX.

Old 10-04-2022, 04:16 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,429 Likes on 1,879 Posts
Makes sense to prioritize MDX over everything since the profit margin is the highest on that car. Prioritizing the Integra could be three things: either the profit margin on that car is pretty high as well due to how much of it is shared with the Civic, or Acura is playing the long game and wants to get Acura products into the hands of its younger buyers in order to build a pipeline of repeat customers, or it uses a relatively low amount of constrained parts/chips. Given that Civic sales has increased more than Accord sales, I'm inclined to think it's not as parts constrained as other models. Given that the 10G Accord is on its way out and the 11G Civic is just getting started, it would make sense that Honda would be prioritizing Civic parts for the long run, and the Integra probably benefits from that. It makes sense that the TLX gets tablescraps since the regular one is most likely the least profitable car they make.

Last edited by fiatlux; 10-04-2022 at 04:19 PM.
MarcoTLX (10-04-2022)
Old 10-04-2022, 09:23 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 672 Likes on 417 Posts
Toyota, Hyundai, Kia, Genesis U.S. car sales edge up in September; Ford slips, GM surges, Stellantis and Nissan fall in Q3 | Automotive News (autonews.com)

Nice to see some automakers in the positive for Q3. YTD many are only in the single-digit negatives (or close). That's not the case for American Honda though.

Tesla's sales numbers are staggering. They surpassed BMW for YTD sales in the US this year.
Old 10-05-2022, 09:09 AM
Three Wheelin'

RE: the MDX, they are starting to pile up around me and I can have my pick of both '22 and '23 models (and there are many used ones already also) and I can't help but think that the high price [for an Acura] and the continued higher gas prices are not going to be helping sales in the immediate future.
Old 10-05-2022, 09:55 AM
Burning Brakes

RE: the MDX, they are starting to pile up around me and I can have my pick of both '22 and '23 models (and there are many used ones already also) and I can't help but think that the high price [for an Acura] and the continued higher gas prices are not going to be helping sales in the immediate future.
Who knows what their strategy is. Those number in the USA will not help dealers or customers. Not everyone wants a full size SUV that cost over $50K. RDX numbers are declining fast - makes one think that that my on the chopping block soon.

Every mfg is scrambling with the chip issues - however Kia, Hyundai and China Mfgs have a strong pull to getting the chips they need. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that there needs to be joint venture to get a chip plant made ASAP.
ESHBG (10-05-2022)
Old 10-05-2022, 11:54 AM
Three Wheelin'

Who knows what their strategy is. Those number in the USA will not help dealers or customers. Not everyone wants a full size SUV that cost over $50K. RDX numbers are declining fast - makes one think that that my on the chopping block soon.
The issue with the RDX is that it doesn't do anything particularly well for a crossover and seems to have a lot of QC issues. I've read posts of people moving from an RDX into an MDX even though they didn't need the room and being happier with the purchase. And I've crossed the RDX off of my list even though it would be the better choice for me on paper.

Every mfg is scrambling with the chip issues - however Kia, Hyundai and China Mfgs have a strong pull to getting the chips they need. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that there needs to be joint venture to get a chip plant made ASAP.
Yes. And I read recently that US made vehicles like pickup trucks are doing so well production-wise that they may need to start discounting them soon to get them moving.
Old 10-05-2022, 12:14 PM
Burning Brakes

[QUOTE=ESHBG;16847907]The issue with the RDX is that it doesn't do anything particularly well for a crossover and seems to have a lot of QC issues. I've read posts of people moving from an RDX into an MDX even though they didn't need the room and being happier with the purchase. And I've crossed the RDX off of my list even though it would be the better choice for me on paper.

Hogwash. The RDX is a very good quality product. I've had mine for 22 months and 13k miles. Not one issue. Is button down very well. RDX just doesn't excite the soul - at least for me, however after canceling two EV which have been on order for ages (test driving them and following other owners exp) - the RDX is superior in terms of quality and features. MPG is mostly horrible, unless your motoring on the freeway with cruise set at 65 mph.

There are plenty of short comings, however when compared to the slew of EV's out there costing similar or a lot more - they all seem cheaply made. Maybe its the new era of post CV, where quality has taken a back seat.

Yes. And I read recently that US made vehicles like pickup trucks are doing so well production-wise that they may need to start discounting them soon to get them moving.
Used car market is getting flooded, prices are declining fast with 15k repos a day. Carmax and Carvana to name two high flyers are taking HUGE losses. The overcorrection of too much free money, FOMO, fear of supply chain issues - has created a boomerang of a glut of vehicle coming to the market. Look at the 40k+ Ford trucks sitting at the Kentucky Motor Speedway lots - once they get part/chips - another flood of inventory. All the other MFG have similar lots full of vehicles - you just don't hear that on the news.
The following 2 users liked this post by Texasrdx21:
MarcoTLX (10-05-2022), richii0207 (10-05-2022)
Old 10-05-2022, 01:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

Hogwash. The RDX is a very good quality product. I've had mine for 22 months and 13k miles. Not one issue. Is button down very well. RDX just doesn't excite the soul - at least for me, however after canceling two EV which have been on order for ages (test driving them and following other owners exp) - the RDX is superior in terms of quality and features. MPG is mostly horrible, unless your motoring on the freeway with cruise set at 65 mph.

There are plenty of short comings, however when compared to the slew of EV's out there costing similar or a lot more - they all seem cheaply made. Maybe its the new era of post CV, where quality has taken a back seat.
It's not hogwash, there have been many QC issues. There's pictures floating around of misaligned panels and interior parts on almost half of the new ones on a lot. Also moonroof issues, shattering rear windows, limp mode... You're lucky that you landed a good one but there are many who have not had the same experience; and the 2019 model year has the most complaints registered against it on CarComplaints.com: https://www.motorbiscuit.com/acura-rdx-problems/ and https://www.carcomplaints.com/Acura/RDX/2019/
Old 10-05-2022, 02:11 PM
6G TLX-S

Acura seriously needs EV SUV's on the market as soon as possible.
Old 10-05-2022, 02:17 PM
Racer

Received 150 Likes on 73 Posts
So I'm looking at the problems you stated and from motorbiscuit.com they are talking about 2012, 2015 and 2019. I mean 2012 is ten years ago and alot has changed on the RDX. Seems like they fixed those problems and nothing major is being reported now from those sites you showed. The carcomplaints show some problems on the 2019 RDX's, again nothing current. All cars will have some problems from time to time and my 2021 TLX Tech with 21,000 has been rock solid!
Old 10-05-2022, 02:30 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by frainc
So I'm looking at the problems you stated and from motorbiscuit.com they are talking about 2012, 2015 and 2019. I mean 2012 is ten years ago and alot has changed on the RDX. Seems like they fixed those problems and nothing major is being reported now from those sites you showed. The carcomplaints show some problems on the 2019 RDX's, again nothing current. All cars will have some problems from time to time and my 2021 TLX Tech with 21,000 has been rock solid!
I posted the 2019 data because of the amount of complaints. But here are some common ones with your year: https://getjerry.com/car-insurance/2...a-rdx-problems

The issue here is that some of these problems were carrying over year after year (and time will tell if the '22 has corrected most of these). Point being the current gen RDX can be a bit of a crap shoot and the MDX does seem to be a product of higher quality (and I understand that the argument can be that is because it's the flagship model now and more expensive).
Old 10-05-2022, 02:38 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,429 Likes on 1,879 Posts
Acura seriously needs EV SUV's on the market as soon as possible.
2024 is just around the corner. Well, around the corner from 2023 which is just around the corner.

I sincerely hope what they deliver in 2024 is actually an EV competitive with other 2024 EVs, and not one that is competitive against the 2020 EVs they benchmarked against (lol TLX).
Old 10-05-2022, 03:12 PM
Racer

I posted the 2019 data because of the amount of complaints. But here are some common ones with your year: https://getjerry.com/car-insurance/2...a-rdx-problems

The issue here is that some of these problems were carrying over year after year (and time will tell if the '22 has corrected most of these). Point being the current gen RDX can be a bit of a crap shoot and the MDX does seem to be a product of higher quality (and I understand that the argument can be that is because it's the flagship model now and more expensive).
From the same report that you just posted "Despite these problems, the 2021 Acura RDX has above-average reliability scores for a luxury compact crossover" So it can't be that bad.
Old 10-05-2022, 03:48 PM
Three Wheelin'

From the same report that you just posted "Despite these problems, the 2021 Acura RDX has above-average reliability scores for a luxury compact crossover" So it can't be that bad.
JD Power gives it a lower score, though. And things that don't leave you stranded are viewed differently than things that do...but still a headache nonetheless. But regardless I wasn't saying that it was awful, just that it's a crap shoot now and I would not view it as the same as Acura's of the past.
Old 10-05-2022, 05:52 PM
Racer

Smile

JD Power gives it a lower score, though. And things that don't leave you stranded are viewed differently than things that do...but still a headache nonetheless. But regardless I wasn't saying that it was awful, just that it's a crap shoot now and I would not view it as the same as Acura's of the past.
Well, like I said, my TLX has been rock solid with zero problems after 21,000 miles. I love driving this car every day and for me after having Acura's and Honda's for the past 25 years this car is the best of them all. But that's just me
The following 3 users liked this post by frainc:
a35tl (10-10-2022), Honda430 (10-06-2022), Tony Pac (10-05-2022)
Old 10-05-2022, 09:40 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,598 Likes on 961 Posts
Well, like I said, my TLX has been rock solid with zero problems after 21,000 miles. I love driving this car every day and for me after having Acura's and Honda's for the past 25 years this car is the best of them all. But that's just me
Thanks for sharing.

I know someone that has the 3rd gen, 4th gen TL, 2019 RDX and now the TLX. He told me the best Acura he ever had. He said the handling of TLX is amazing.
Old 10-06-2022, 08:33 AM
Three Wheelin'

We are now talking about two different cars and I have not seen the fit and finish alignment issues on TLXs like I have with the RDXs (but in fairness there are way more RDXs). But regardless, that is good to hear and I hope that your TLX gives you many trouble-free miles
Old 10-07-2022, 08:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
I have seen a few MDX Type S around town here as well which doesn’t come at a surprise since most of the vehicles in my region are SUVs. One trip to work I saw two and the other day a TEP Type S parked next to me at a target.
God those are hot looking vehicles! I love my Apex Blue, but the Type S gold colour is also fabulous and less likely to show swirl marks. I'm glad to hear others who practice "safe" parking. Only expose one side and not close to the line; in very windy days park so that the cars next to you don't have doors that can be blown into your vehicle when opening; and away from the huddled masses as much as possible, while absolutely avoiding parking next to beaters. It also ensures more steps and a few less pounds at the end of the year
The following 4 users liked this post by mapleloaf:
ELIN (10-07-2022), MarcoTLX (10-08-2022), richii0207 (10-07-2022), Tony Pac (10-08-2022)

Quick Reply: 2021+ Acura TLX & TLX TYPE S Sales Numbers