2021+ Acura TLX & TLX TYPE S Sales Numbers

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2023, 02:41 PM
Drifting

Received 1,248 Likes on 906 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony Pac
Thank you, sir! But try to answer me when you got a second about Teggy and RDX

@ELIN You liked his post but did not answer mine, so I see you're around: https://acurazine.com/forums/6g-tlx-...nment-1002622/

Please kindly take a moment and read the post and give it a like. I will appreciate your kindess...do it for the sake of humanity! Acura built something that will save lives!
I commented in that thread. I have a genuine question about safety there so hopefully someone can answer w/o the usual snarky remarks.
Old 04-05-2023, 03:16 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 537 Likes on 346 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostTL09
I put this in the thread previously to challenge the simple reasoning of improved sales. Some are claiming the increase is due to TLX cars being built and delivered, however my point is doesn't that still support interest and demand, MoM? I think some on here want the car to fail so bad that there is little room left for conversation and logic. It's just a hard "oh, it's selling because people are taking possession their orders". 😆
I am not disputing that the car may be selling now, I am pointing out the other variables that may be at play. If the TLX fails or doesn't it makes little difference now but these numbers are not a huge win and proves how dismal things have been for it if people are excited over these low numbers.

Thank you, sir! But try to answer me when you got a second about Teggy and RDX
This is the TLX thread and I am talking about the TLX and its sales and you are bringing up these models to deflect from the actual conversation. But sure here is my answer: the Integra is blowing the TLX out of the water and the RDX has been for a while now. The RDX sales have slowed quite a bit, though, so they better jump on a refresh sooner than later.
Old 04-05-2023, 03:46 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 255 Posts
1. Let's be honest, a ... A3 doesn't have any wow factor

2. but cost $5-$7K more. You get the Integra at lower price, more room/practical, Acura reliability and great resale value.

3. Only downside is you cannot get AWD.
1. Really? Saw one of the showroom floor the other day ... looked fine to me. Well, then maybe they would prefer the S3 or RS3 ?

2. Fixation on price much?

3. Saying quite a bit since one of Acura's big selling point has traditionally been shAWD.

Old 04-05-2023, 04:48 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by ESHBG
And the MDX is already getting a refresh (with a new engine it looks like too) and we still don't know much about the TLX's refresh so...
I saw the camo'd pics of the MDX but where's the info on the "new engine"?
Old 04-05-2023, 05:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ELIN
I saw the camo'd pics of the MDX but where's the info on the "new engine"?
The chatter is that it is getting the new DOHC that is in the '23 Pilot which makes a lot of sense, as that engine is supposed to burn cleaner with higher efficiency. In the MDX forum it's been said that has been confirmed but I haven't found anything official yet from Acura. Some info on the engine:
​​​​​​https://www.hondainfocenter.com/2023...er-Management/

But big picture this makes a ton of sense: hey look our top selling MDX has a new look, new features, and a new engine!

Last edited by ESHBG; 04-05-2023 at 05:08 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ELIN (04-05-2023)
Old 04-05-2023, 05:13 PM
Drifting

The chatter is that it is getting the new DOHC that is in the '23 Pilot which makes a lot of sense, as that engine is supposed to burn cleaner with higher efficiency. In the MDX forum it's been said that has been confirmed but I haven't found anything official yet from Acura. Some info on the engine:
​​​​​​https://www.hondainfocenter.com/2023...er-Management/

But big picture this makes a ton of sense: hey look our top selling MDX has a new look, new features, and a new engine!
On paper it looks like it should make it closer to the Type S but Acura could simply heavy up the MDX to keep the gapping as it is now.

edit: NVM. The HP actually got worse. I think the HP and torque were reversed in my head for the current engine.

Last edited by ELIN; 04-05-2023 at 05:27 PM.
Old 05-02-2023, 02:48 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,598 Likes on 961 Posts

Another strong month for Acura! We clearly see Acura is focusing on their higher margin vehicles (MDX and Integra). But as the supply chain issues are getting better, the total sales numbers should increase further!
Old 05-02-2023, 03:16 PM
Drifting

Another strong month for Acura! We clearly see Acura is focusing on their higher margin vehicles (MDX and Integra). But as the supply chain issues are getting better, the total sales numbers should increase further!
Any theories on the continued decline of the RDX, especially in lieu of the existence of the A-Spec/Advance Trim?
Old 05-02-2023, 04:49 PM
AZ Community Team

Any theories on the continued decline of the RDX, especially in lieu of the existence of the A-Spec/Advance Trim?

My theory is Acura is focusing on MDX which has a bigger margin. Also, MDX TYPE S has surpassed Acura's expectations in terms of sales. Secondly, the Integra's demand is unbelievable. A car that is purely built based on Civic and cost $5-$7K more. So we can imagine the margin there.

Now, with limited resources that Acura/Honda have, they are not prioritizing TLX and RDX. I am sure these cars have lower margins.

On that note, I spoke with Porsche and MB reps recently and they have the same exact approach. Allocation of higher trims and pushing the dealers to sell more expensive models. For example, Porsche dealer told me if a customer places an order for a Macan with $10K options vs another customer with $20K. Porsche will prioritize the $30K one! Again, I might be very wrong but RDX is an excellent car and value. Since second generation, the sales numbers are above 50K units per year. The fact that it’s half now, I cannot imagine any other reason than limited availability.
The following 2 users liked this post by Tony Pac:
ELIN (05-03-2023), F23A4 (05-04-2023)
Old 05-02-2023, 06:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 666 Likes on 359 Posts
When does the RDX begin to get Looooong in the tooth? I think its a good looking vehicle. I think they could really build on the Integra Type-S aggressive styling to add that to an RDX redesign for an Aspec/Type-S trim.
Tony Pac (05-02-2023)
Old 05-02-2023, 07:46 PM
AZ Community Team

When does the RDX begin to get Looooong in the tooth? I think its a good looking vehicle. I think they could really build on the Integra Type-S aggressive styling to add that to an RDX redesign for an Aspec/Type-S trim.
I think Acura should release the next gen RDX with fresh design, and TYPE S variant next year. The car is in the market since summer 2018, already 5 years.
Old 05-02-2023, 09:36 PM
Pro

Received 542 Likes on 265 Posts
Low RDX sales are baffling. Is there an inventory shortage? Their sales should easily match the MDX if not beat it.
Old 05-03-2023, 12:58 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 390 Likes on 272 Posts
Originally Posted by dmski
Low RDX sales are baffling. Is there an inventory shortage? Their sales should easily match the MDX if not beat it.
It seems mostly constrained by part supply. If you look at the RDX part catalog, the number of (critical) parts that are unavailable is staggering. Not sure why RDX is hit so hard compared to other models.
Old 05-03-2023, 06:48 AM
Drifting

I did a search on the Acura website for RDX inventory within a 20 mile radius of my location and here are the reported cars on the lots (AA=A-Spec/Advance Trim AS=A-Spec Trim):

Dealers
1) 8 AA and 7 AS
2) 3 AA and 3 AS
3) 2 AA and 2 AS
4) 5 AA and 6 AS
5) 3 AA and 1 AS
6) 2 AA and 5 AS

There are more RDXs in the other trims but I'm just listing the most popular ones for now. I expect the AA to outsell the AS in most cases but it appears to be pretty even on the lots (at least 2 dealers have more AA inventory than AS).
I don't think supply is the issue. The infotainment has been trashed by AZ members since 2018 so it might be time to retool.
Old 05-03-2023, 06:54 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by sonyfever
It seems mostly constrained by part supply. If you look at the RDX part catalog, the number of (critical) parts that are unavailable is staggering. Not sure why RDX is hit so hard compared to other models.
RDX is hot badly by supply chain and margin. Car manufacturers want to make money as well as dealers. Why sell cheaper Rdx when people are paying big bucks for the MDX
Old 05-03-2023, 07:00 AM
mvl
Pro

Received 224 Likes on 151 Posts
RDX has class lagging MPG and has no touchscreen. Both low concerns a couple years ago but increasing barriers to purchase these days.

Considering the Integra approaches similar storage levels and fixes both these problems, I could see a lot of lower trim potential RDX buyers switching to an Integra or the competition.

And the high end RDX buyer may be waiting for the ZDX. Beyond being a full BEV, it will probably have the next gen carplay interface that takes over all screens. So RDX may be a victim of the ZDX marketing that governments were forcing Acura to publicize earlier than they probably would have liked.

Last edited by mvl; 05-03-2023 at 07:09 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by mvl:
ELIN (05-03-2023), sonyfever (05-03-2023)
Old 05-03-2023, 07:34 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by mvl
RDX has class lagging MPG and has no touchscreen. Both low concerns a couple years ago but increasing barriers to purchase these days.

Considering the Integra approaches similar storage levels and fixes both these problems, I could see a lot of lower trim potential RDX buyers switching to an Integra or the competition.

And the high end RDX buyer may be waiting for the ZDX. Beyond being a full BEV, it will probably have the next gen carplay interface that takes over all screens. So RDX may be a victim of the ZDX marketing that governments were forcing Acura to publicize earlier than they probably would have liked.
I'd like to refine your first statement to be "RDX has class lagging MPG and has no touchscreen or alternative physical method of control".

All my prior and current Mercedes has a dial for infotainment control (the older COMAND system) but no touchscreen.
My current BMW has both a touchscreen and a dial and I prefer to use the dial for safety reasons.

The Acura TrueTouch interface saves the company the cost of a dial but makes it feel like you're using a laptop. Based on overall sales numbers, I think auto consumers prefer something they can touch or turn like a dial.
Old 05-03-2023, 07:52 AM
mvl
Pro

Received 224 Likes on 151 Posts
Agree. The dial on my 2020 mdx is just as good as my RSX (aftermarket) touchscreen in my experience.

The truetouch on the current Acura lineup works fine for Acura software, but Apple/Google haven't built a proper touchpad UI, so they port a half- a$$ed joystick UI onto the touchpad.

My wife mounts her phone on the vent to the right of the steering wheel and uses the phone touchscreen to control the RDX audio. Between that and voice / steering wheel controls she has found enough workarounds to get Android Auto usable, but it shouldn't have to be that hard.

Hopefully Acura follows what Lexus did in 2018 and flips the 2024 TLX to a touchscreen or touchpad dual interface. Would require moving the tablet a bit closer but otherwise can maintain the precision cockpit asthetic.

Switching the drivemode knob back to the 5th gen TLX Android Auto knob/joystick would be fine too, that just seems less likely that Acura would consider that.
ELIN (05-03-2023)
Old 05-03-2023, 08:58 AM
Three Wheelin'

Look at those TLX sales, flying off the lots RE: the RDX, I think the issue now is that it is a just okay vehicle [for the avg. driver] that is expensive in a very crowded segment. It's still a nice looking vehicle overall but starting to look a little cheap (in areas like its rear) when you look at all of the other vehicles on the road.
Old 05-03-2023, 10:05 AM
AZ Community Team

Look at those TLX sales, flying off the lots RE: the RDX, I think the issue now is that it is a just okay vehicle [for the avg. driver] that is expensive in a very crowded segment. It's still a nice looking vehicle overall but starting to look a little cheap (in areas like its rear) when you look at all of the other vehicles on the road.

Please stop everyone! Our respectful and dedicated member solved the mystery about the RDX sales! Thank you, Good sir for your input.
And your comment on TLX...wow! Just wow!

What's your take on Teggy?
Old 05-03-2023, 02:22 PM
Three Wheelin'

Please stop everyone! Our respectful and dedicated member solved the mystery about the RDX sales! Thank you, Good sir for your input.

Once again hurling the passive aggressiveness and avoiding the topic at hand. Acura thanks you for your dedication!

The same impression as the other 15 times you asked me: it's a good, practical car and doing well. In my area I have already seen as much of them as TLXs, if not more.
Old 05-03-2023, 03:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

TLX is pretty bad too.
Old 05-03-2023, 03:17 PM
Three Wheelin'

I'm going to go ahead and log off because now that TLXs are flying off the shelf I should go grab another one before they're all gone.
RDX does need a redesign on the rear. its the Achilles of the design.
ESHBG (05-03-2023)
Old 05-03-2023, 04:40 PM
AZ Community Team

Once again hurling the passive aggressiveness and avoiding the topic at hand. Acura thanks you for your dedication!

The same impression as the other 15 times you asked me: it's a good, practical car and doing well. In my area I have already seen as much of them as TLXs, if not more.
Thank you for your kind and quick response!
WTF.Acura (05-03-2023)
Old 06-01-2023, 01:50 PM
AZ Community Team

Another great month for Acura brand! Well done Honda and Acura team for making one of the best vehicles out there! 13,700 Acura vehicles were sold in May. Soon, we will see 20,000/month!
Legend2TL (06-02-2023), WTF.Acura (06-01-2023)
Old 06-01-2023, 02:14 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,178 Likes on 2,594 Posts
^ With MDX/TLX/RDX numbers up 104/82/64% YoY and some large % increases in Honda numbers as well (Ody and CR-V) I strongly suspect the remaining supply chain issues (supposedly almost all chips and electronic vendors needing their chips as well) at Honda/Acura have been resolved.
The following 2 users liked this post by Legend2TL:
a35tl (06-03-2023), Tony Pac (06-01-2023)
Old 06-01-2023, 02:24 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by Legend2TL
^ With MDX/TLX/RDX numbers up 104/82/64% YoY and some large % increases in Honda numbers as well (Ody and CR-V) I strongly suspect the remaining supply chain issues (supposedly almost all chips and electronic vendors needing their chips as well) at Honda/Acura have been resolved.
I believe so too...RDX sales numbers are low for some reason. That tells me that Acura is in the process of 4th Gen RDX and keeping the resources for the new one. RDX used to be the top seller.
Old 06-01-2023, 04:31 PM
Three Wheelin'

I saw 3 TLX models today alone, so they're starting to show up in the wild. I think we can finally put the "people are waiting to take delivery" argument to bed on sales volume increase. I know there are people that truly want the TLX to flop, even 3 years later.
a35tl (06-03-2023)
Old 06-01-2023, 04:42 PM
AZ Community Team

I saw 3 TLX models today alone, so they're starting to show up in the wild. I think we can finally put the "people are waiting to take delivery" argument to bed on sales volume increase. I know there are people that truly want the TLX to flop, even 3 years later.
I started to notice a lot of TLX here as well. I agree with your statement, but TLX will have a huge in sales number as the supply issue is coming to an end and the 2024 model will attract more buyers.
Old 06-01-2023, 05:20 PM
Pro

Received 499 Likes on 244 Posts
TLX sales for May are up 90% compared to last year. Weren't one of you saying there was never a supply shortage? If that's actually true, then what caused a 90% increase in demand?
The following 3 users liked this post by bilirubin:
a35tl (06-03-2023), MarcoTLX (06-04-2023), Tony Pac (06-01-2023)
Old 06-01-2023, 11:19 PM
Pro

Received 542 Likes on 265 Posts
How's TLX so close to the RDX??? I do see more TLX's on the road lately as well. What really surprises me is that I frequently see MDX Type S in the wiild. I even saw 3 on a recent short drive, WTH.
Old 06-01-2023, 11:49 PM
Burning Brakes

How's TLX so close to the RDX??? I do see more TLX's on the road lately as well. What really surprises me is that I frequently see MDX Type S in the wiild. I even saw 3 on a recent short drive, WTH.
Most likely incentives on the hood. For example, the lease offer on TLX is only $20/month more than Integra. This is from Acura's website, so the actual deal might be even sweeter. Afterall, MMC is coming soon.
RDX.... I see steady supply of RDX locally, and many MMC RDX on the road lately. Judging by the incentives, the supply and demand seem to be balanced.
MDX-S is a good car at MSRP, and with discount becoming a norm, it regains the good old Acura value. Not sure why Acura needed to step up the incentives - perhaps to clear the 2023 stocks.
Tony Pac (06-02-2023)
Old 06-02-2023, 07:25 AM
Drifting

How's TLX so close to the RDX???
Could be a combination of TLX supply being close to normal plus decreasing RDX market share. RDX had a rough start in the first year of the current gen (2019) and has only started recovering in recent years. As an early 2G TLX owner, I rummaged through the RDX forums quite a bit since there were similar issues and the infotainment was the same (more or less).

Although it did spark some renewed interest in the model when Acura made the A-Spec/Advance available, the price hike brought it near German territory. Similarly equipped, I'd rather have the performance of my X3 and I would imagine others have thought the same.
ESHBG (06-02-2023)
Old 06-02-2023, 07:53 AM
Drifting

MDX-S is a good car at MSRP, and with discount becoming a norm, it regains the good old Acura value. Not sure why Acura needed to step up the incentives - perhaps to clear the 2023 stocks.
I disagree. One of the biggest knocks on the latest gen MDX has been the MSRP and its "German aspirations".

The introduction of the CX-90 and the Turbo S is pouring further salt into the wound since it sits b/w the MDX and MDX-S in performance but is far cheaper (not to mention a useable 3rd row!).
Anyone who thinks the CX-90 is not a competitor...well let's just say there's more market share to lose!
Old 06-02-2023, 09:03 AM
Burning Brakes

I disagree. One of the biggest knocks on the latest gen MDX has been the MSRP and its "German aspirations".

The introduction of the CX-90 and the Turbo S is pouring further salt into the wound since it sits b/w the MDX and MDX-S in performance but is far cheaper (not to mention a useable 3rd row!).
Anyone who thinks the CX-90 is not a competitor...well let's just say there's more market share to lose!
I don't disagree with you. I think CX-90 may appear to be a better deal for many, but my reasoning is like this: for the higher-trimmed CX-90 that is a competitor to MDX-S, you get around 90% of X5, and that is roughly the US price you pay. On the other hand, MDX-S is more or less a tie with X5 everything considered, and Acura priced it accordingly.

Of course, it is just my opinion and I haven't driven CX-90, maybe for some CX-90 can feel like 95% of X5.
Old 06-02-2023, 09:43 AM
AZ Community Team

MDX- TYPE S did magic for Acura brand.....low sales expectations from the brand and boom!!! Acura's management got a pleasant surprise with MDX TYPE S sales. The demand is great for MDX overall. Selling 5-6K units every month isn't easy in this market! With the introduction of ZDX, TLX MMC and 4th gen RDX, Acura will hit new milestones. Stay tune!

Again, I will say it: Acura did the right thing. Started to Focus on performance combined with premium! That's all! Success is here!
Old 06-02-2023, 10:21 AM
Drifting

I don't disagree with you. I think CX-90 may appear to be a better deal for many, but my reasoning is like this: for the higher-trimmed CX-90 that is a competitor to MDX-S, you get around 90% of X5, and that is roughly the US price you pay. On the other hand, MDX-S is more or less a tie with X5 everything considered, and Acura priced it accordingly.

Of course, it is just my opinion and I haven't driven CX-90, maybe for some CX-90 can feel like 95% of X5.
Not sure Acura can ever be 90% of BMW again. I'm fairly new to the BMW brand but the technology that is available is far superior than Acura has at the moment. Just some examples:

1) For '24 X5s, semi-autonomous driving up to 85 mph is available (last year's models were only up to 40 mph).
2) Customizable, all digital dash (has been around for a while).
3) USB music from flash drive that works w/CP or AA simultaneously.
4) iDrive is far superior to Acura's infotainment and can be confirmed by folks who've had both

Oh, and did I mention that the base X5 engine has increased to 375 horsepower and 383 lb-ft of torque?
Tony Pac (06-02-2023)
Old 06-02-2023, 10:53 AM
AZ Community Team

Not sure Acura can ever be 90% of BMW again. I'm fairly new to the BMW brand but the technology that is available is far superior than Acura has at the moment. Just some examples:

1) For '24 X5s, semi-autonomous driving up to 85 mph is available (last year's models were only up to 40 mph).
4) iDrive is far superior to Acura's infotainment and can be confirmed by folks who've had both

Oh, and did I mention that the base X5 engine has increased to 375 horsepower and 383 lb-ft of torque?
You bring some really good points. But I personally see it differently! Acura is not BMW and Acura doesn't want to be BMW or Audi anymore. I think the last decade that Acura was "lost" was due to be something that they are not. Acura started focusing on performance and premium again. Now they produce some of the best cars for those who likes Japanese performance with some premium/luxury goods. This mindset is bringing the new success back to Acura brand. The same goes to Lexus. Lexus doesn't want to be BMW. Look at the RX, NX and ES sales numbers...just insane! 10K units per month for RX. No BMW X5 or MB GLE can ever beat that...not even in their dreams!

So, my opinion is this approach works better for Acura and Lexus. they are Japanese brands that have a different focus.

ELIN (06-02-2023), WTF.Acura (06-02-2023)
Old 06-02-2023, 11:08 AM
Burning Brakes

The same ceilings apply to CX-90, and the infotainment there is worse than MDX - the choppiness in AA/CP is tier-1. iDrive 7 is of course good, but for the daily audio/navigation tasks, I don't feel a big difference between MDX and X5. in fact I would say the built-in X5 navigation is overly complicated.

You need to be in the 3-row market, your money on the line, to appreciate the intrinsic value of MDX-S. And of course this market is constantly evolving, so as time goes by, MDX competitiveness goes down, and the price goes down in sync.
Tony Pac (06-02-2023)
Old 06-02-2023, 11:26 AM
AZ Community Team

The same ceilings apply to CX-90, and the infotainment there is worse than MDX - the choppiness in AA/CP is tier-1. iDrive 7 is of course good, but for the daily audio/navigation tasks, I don't feel a big difference between MDX and X5. in fact I would say the built-in X5 navigation is overly complicated.

You need to be in the 3-row market, your money on the line, to appreciate the intrinsic value of MDX-S. And of course this market is constantly evolving, so as time goes by, MDX competitiveness goes down, and the price goes down in sync.
MDX is a brand itself! No manufacturers have been successful to take the lead from Acura MDX. QX60 came close but still lost the battle. MDX is the king of 3 row! Good luck to Mazda and Genesis

Now if Lexus prices TX well, that might be a huge threat to MDX.

Quick Reply: 2021+ Acura TLX & TLX TYPE S Sales Numbers