2021/2022 TLX versus the Competition

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2022, 07:56 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 672 Likes on 417 Posts
Originally Posted by richii0207
Haha, I swore the same thing after the last of my 4 BMWs. Bleeding edge technology but a PIA to maintain both financially and labor-wise. Definitely spoiled by the ease and cost of Honda/Acura and for Tesla, well, there’s just nothing to maintain.
Yep. I've heard a rumor that the German engineers specifically make the cars difficult to work on and require special tools so the average DIY'er won't or can't work on the car. They believe only specially trained personnel should be touching the car. I sort of get it, but at the same time, hate it. It does seem like they've gotten better, but maybe it's just because I'm no longer the one actually working on any of them.
Old 08-05-2022, 08:35 PM
Pro

Received 267 Likes on 145 Posts
Congrats on your new type s. I too felt the same about the bmw… it was just an ok driving experience. It didn’t feel like a special vehicle like everyone hyped it up. Yes, it’s fast but in the real world you wouldn’t be able to tell the difference between the two. I also hated the m340i exterior design and how bland and boring it was. The aggressiveness of the type s exterior is just on another level compared to the competition. The only thing that I liked about the bmw was just the mgp is unbeatable for the power. I did consider the S5 which I think is slightly better than the type s but not sure if the price is worth it compared to the type s.
The following 2 users liked this post by djhtsx:
h0ckeyman (08-05-2022), WTF.Acura (08-09-2022)
Old 08-06-2022, 07:09 AM
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by djhtsx
Congrats on your new type s. I too felt the same about the bmw… it was just an ok driving experience. It didn’t feel like a special vehicle like everyone hyped it up. Yes, it’s fast but in the real world you wouldn’t be able to tell the difference between the two. I also hated the m340i exterior design and how bland and boring it was. The aggressiveness of the type s exterior is just on another level compared to the competition. The only thing that I liked about the bmw was just the mgp is unbeatable for the power. I did consider the S5 which I think is slightly better than the type s but not sure if the price is worth it compared to the type s.
Yup. The BMW's and MB's are handsome in a way but just boring in my mind. Of course they age well but thats because they play it safe. Acura has always had some very stylish and attractive designs, the type S is no different. Such a stunning vehicle, it never left the back of my mind as a choice since I first laid eyes on it. Also, I agree, the B58 getting like 33mpg on the highway at 75-80mph is an amazing accomplishment. I don't fault anyone who makes the choice to snag a M340i, there are fantastic quite honestly. For me, it just came down to feeling that the Type S was bringing me a pretty special experience from driving dynamics to style to the interior which I love. Everything of course is a give and take but for me it ended up being an easy choice honestly.
The following 2 users liked this post by h0ckeyman:
robnalex (08-06-2022), WTF.Acura (08-09-2022)
Old 08-06-2022, 09:09 AM
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 86 Posts
What’s with the constant microaggression? He has a different opinion than you. Just take it and move on.

You keep talking about the M340i being a better performer. Well guess what, the CTV4BW is miles better in overall performance, why didn’t you get that instead? Oh that’s right, preference.
Thank you, Dear, and bless your sweet heart! ❤️
Old 08-06-2022, 09:18 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by leomio2.0
I would say the TLX-S was a bit softer, but that would easily be rectified by changing out those god-awful RFTs on the BMW.
Bingo. We made the mistake of ordering our M340xi with the RFTs. After reading countless posts about how crappy they are we had the dealer take them off and replace them with Michelin PSAS4 before we even took delivery.
Old 08-06-2022, 10:12 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by h0ckeyman
I actually disagree with your synopsis of the Type S being a "wannabe" - It is exactly what it set out to be.
Partly true, partly false. Yes, it's exactly what they intended: a very nice, comfortable, well-appointed, much faster alternative to the base TLX. But they marketed it as a competitor in a class where it doesn't belong: a wannabe. laughably, there are Type-S owners who have swallowed the hype hook, line, and sinker and desperately want to believe that the car is something it's not. You're not one of them. You bought the car because of exactly what it is and what you like about it- totally legitimate and sensible.

Originally Posted by h0ckeyman
Yup. The BMW's and MB's are handsome in a way but just boring in my mind. Of course they age well but thats because they play it safe. Acura has always had some very stylish and attractive designs, the type S is no different. Such a stunning vehicle, it never left the back of my mind as a choice since I first laid eyes on it. Also, I agree, the B58 getting like 33mpg on the highway at 75-80mph is an amazing accomplishment. I don't fault anyone who makes the choice to snag a M340i, there are fantastic quite honestly. For me, it just came down to feeling that the Type S was bringing me a pretty special experience from driving dynamics to style to the interior which I love. Everything of course is a give and take but for me it ended up being an easy choice honestly.
Given your preferences and your choice between a brand spanking new TLX-S and a used M340i, your decision makes perfect sense. You chose the TLX for exactly what it is (and isn't) and the many things you like about it. Different characteristics are deal-breakers for different people. I've been driving Hondas and Acuras since the late 1970's (yes, I'm that old). I've been a fan for a long time, we have a fabulous local Acura service department, and we had high hopes that we'd trade our regular TLX for a Type-S. Were it not for the size/weight, and piss-poor gas mileage I'd be driving one today, and wouldn't give a rat's arse about 0-60. Apart from those things that are deal-breakers for us, the TLX is a really nice car!

Last edited by robnalex; 08-06-2022 at 10:18 AM.
The following users liked this post:
h0ckeyman (08-07-2022)
Old 08-06-2022, 11:24 AM
Pro

Received 434 Likes on 249 Posts
Originally Posted by robnalex
Were it not for the size/weight, and piss-poor gas mileage I'd be driving one today, and wouldn't give a rat's arse about 0-60. Apart from those things that are deal-breakers for us, the TLX is a really nice car!
Weight is not a factor with driving dynamics of the Type S. Chassis balance/dynamics is incredible, not just for its weight.

Weight is not causing the MPG numbers. Honda doesn’t have many larger engines that are efficient. For instance, I get about the same MPG between my Type S and CTR. You also have the 2.0T in the accord rated at 32mpg highway.
Old 08-06-2022, 02:08 PM
Drifting

Received 1,273 Likes on 927 Posts
Weight is not a factor with driving dynamics of the Type S.
I know that the stopping power in my 2.0 TLX is awful and the Type S is not a whole lot better. This will be a combination of the weight and brakes that were given by Acura.

I recently switched insurance companies and you know how they give you a discount for tracking you through the mobile app? Nearly every other trip includes some sort of "event" and that typically is identified as "Hard braking" (by the standards of the app). I'm not looking forward to this as a premium increase justification!
Old 08-06-2022, 02:43 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by ELIN
I know that the stopping power in my 2.0 TLX is awful and the Type S is not a whole lot better. This will be a combination of the weight and brakes that were given by Acura.

I recently switched insurance companies and you know how they give you a discount for tracking you through the mobile app? Nearly every other trip includes some sort of "event" and that typically is identified as "Hard braking" (by the standards of the app). I'm not looking forward to this as a premium increase justification!
That app uses G forces for hard acceleration or hard braking. Regardless of what vehicle you use whether it’s a Corolla or a Ferrari, the hard braking will trigger it from G forces measured.

If anything, a car with reduced braking ability will be less likely to trigger it due to less Gs from stopping power.
Old 08-06-2022, 04:52 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 548 Likes on 280 Posts
That app uses G forces for hard acceleration or hard braking. Regardless of what vehicle you use whether it’s a Corolla or a Ferrari, the hard braking will trigger it from G forces measured.

If anything, a car with reduced braking ability will be less likely to trigger it due to less Gs from stopping power.
I have always opted out of these tracking devices. I already know I am more likely to brake hard or accelerate quickly so I don’t see any benefit.
ELIN (08-06-2022)
Old 08-06-2022, 06:34 PM
Drifting

After driving the car for nearly 2 years, hard braking is almost mandatory given how the car doesn't coast to a stop like other sedans I've owned.
MarcoTLX (08-07-2022)
Old 08-06-2022, 07:10 PM
Pro

After driving the car for nearly 2 years, hard braking is almost mandatory given how the car doesn't coast to a stop like other sedans I've owned.
It sounds like your issue is pedal modulation vs actual stopping power. Do you feel like the pedal has too much bite or not enough pedal travel?
Old 08-06-2022, 09:30 PM
Drifting

It sounds like your issue is pedal modulation vs actual stopping power. Do you feel like the pedal has too much bite or not enough pedal travel?
There’s no gradual slow down. Almost feel like all or nothing with the brakes. On the bright side, driving at or below the speed limit seems to mitigate the number of hard braking.
Old 08-06-2022, 10:05 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 548 Likes on 280 Posts
There’s no gradual slow down. Almost feel like all or nothing with the brakes. On the bright side, driving at or below the speed limit seems to mitigate the number of hard braking.
Hm, I feel like I can gradually slow down. It’s no different than my 2019 TLX ASPEC felt in terms of gradual braking.
Colorado Guy AF Ret. (08-07-2022)
Old 08-07-2022, 09:39 AM
Pro

That does not sound normal and actually sounds dangerous. I can coast to a stop pretty easily with my TLX as well. Have you spoken with the dealer about that?

RIP brakes.

Last edited by richii0207; 08-07-2022 at 09:42 AM.
Old 08-07-2022, 01:00 PM
Instructor

Received 83 Likes on 47 Posts
Hmm... something doesn't seem right with your brakes or something then. Of all the cars I've driven (whether it be ones I've owned or family/friends' cars), the TLX has some of the best brake feel (to me at least). I drive at varying local/highway speeds a lot and haven't had any issues slowing the car down gradually or smoothly. The brake pedal travel is fairly short on the TLX though, so you get what feels like max braking power with relatively little input. The 2022 MDX on the other hand, feels as if I have to put my foot through the firewall to get any braking power (exaggerating for effect).
Old 08-07-2022, 02:19 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by KrylonBlue
Hm, I feel like I can gradually slow down. It’s no different than my 2019 TLX ASPEC felt in terms of gradual braking.
One of the biggest factors (I feel) is that a lot of you are coming from prior Honda products. My '18 MDX and '21 TLX were my first ever Honda products. Having owned a '12 C300 4MATIC, I do miss how the transmission seemed to automatically help slow down the car when it felt the car was decelerating (is this engine braking?). The deceleration in the TLX is no better than what I grew up on, which includes the likes of Nissan Sentra, Toyota Camry, etc.

Although the C300 was heavy for such a small car, you never felt panic coming to a light because you knew the engine/transmission was going to help with the deceleration (I have no such confidence with the TLX).

Anyone understand what I'm trying to describe?
Old 08-07-2022, 02:20 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by norsairius
The brake pedal travel is fairly short on the TLX though, so you get what feels like max braking power with relatively little input.
This is exactly what I meant when I said "all or nothing"!
Old 08-07-2022, 03:53 PM
Instructor

This is exactly what I meant when I said "all or nothing"!
Makes sense, but I don't think it's to the extent that it's difficult to modulate. I've driven the car with everything from flip flops to winter boots and haven't had issues modulating the brakes. There might be a slight adjustment period if I'm going to the boots (as I don't drive with them often), but that's about it. Have you had a dealer look at it to make sure everything's right with the braking system, calibration, etc.?
Old 08-07-2022, 03:59 PM
Instructor

One of the biggest factors (I feel) is that a lot of you are coming from prior Honda products. My '18 MDX and '21 TLX were my first ever Honda products. Having owned a '12 C300 4MATIC, I do miss how the transmission seemed to automatically help slow down the car when it felt the car was decelerating (is this engine braking?). The deceleration in the TLX is no better than what I grew up on, which includes the likes of Nissan Sentra, Toyota Camry, etc.

Although the C300 was heavy for such a small car, you never felt panic coming to a light because you knew the engine/transmission was going to help with the deceleration (I have no such confidence with the TLX).

Anyone understand what I'm trying to describe?
Yeah, I believe what you're describing is engine braking. It'll be more prominent with automatics that are programmed to lock the torque converter and/or downshift sooner while coasting or braking. The TLX definitely doesn't downshift until it absolutely has to if you're in normal or comfort modes, but sport mode is better about this. I don't necessarily like how much the transmission hangs onto lower gears though so I don't use sport mode as much. I think the TLX could be even just one gear lower when braking/coasting and the engine braking effect would be more useful, but I assume it's tuned for efficiency and so it'll hold those higher gears to maintain speed as much as possible and minimize the need to use the throttle to maintain speed.

A couple things that I think might have made the engine braking more prominent in the 2012 C300 are that that its engine had two more cylinders (more mechanical drag when off throttle along with it being AWD) and it was lighter than the TLX (less momentum carried when off throttle). I've found though that the TLX w/SH-AWD has more mechanical drag than I expected for something so heavy, but I think a lot of that is the SH-AWD system. That mechanical drag and weight definitely does no favors for the fuel economy.

Last edited by norsairius; 08-07-2022 at 04:02 PM.
ELIN (08-07-2022)
Old 08-07-2022, 08:57 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Received 444 Likes on 303 Posts
Originally Posted by KrylonBlue
Agree. I had an '18 TLX A-Spec and liked it a lot. I love my '22 Type S the more I drive it the more I appreciate all the good things about it. Steering is great,
brakes..??...no issues at all, comfort, seats, ride, handling, plenty of "street power" and hwy power when you want. it. Is it a "perfect car?" Of course not, no
car or vehicle is. I'm not crazy about the fact that 59% of the vehicles weight is on the front wheels. That the nose...A pillar fwd is so long...things like that.
Total weight is higher than I'd like, but, it sure doesn't feel it's weight. But, with that said, shedding about 300 lbs would be nice. But, I always come away
with a smile on my face after driving it. Now, I've said this before on here some time ago....tires make a big difference. I always take off the OEM tires, and
put on my favs...Conti DWS 06+, Ultra High Perf. All Season tires that I've been using on most all my vehicles, and I go through a lot of them. My '22 RDX
A-Spec/Adv has them, and it rides great...like the Type S...quiet, smooth, handles great!!

And also repeating what I've written about in the past....."is it the fastest out there....meaning compared to it's basic rivals..in same class?" No, but, again for me
and I know many others out there....WHO CARES?? LOL! I appreciate so many of the visceral driving factors this car has that it's just a well done, sporty, luxy,
quick sedan that has many great attributes. Hey, IF I want to really tear up the streets I have my '21 Mustang GT, Perf. Pack.1 with every option Ford offered, and
it's nasty. Is it the fastest in it's class? NO....but, damn it's fast!!

And just for the fun of it.....couple of days ago I entered on to a 3 lane major thoroughfare, eased in to the middle lane and glanced over doing so and saw an older
Mustang GT...around a 2010 model or so....didn't have much time to analyze it....and saw the young driver saw me, wondered I suppose what I was driving, and
nailed his Mustang. I saw it coming on hard and fast. I thought, OK....I shouldn't BUT....I started easing down harder on my throttle and started pulling hard with
him in the left lane. He then moved up closer...slightly gaining, but, I was maybe at 1/2 throttle. So, I nudged it on up to about 3/4 throttle and just started walking away
from him. He gave up, slowed down, pulled in behind me, I moved over to that far left lane...where I wanted to be and we came and stopped at the next light.
I just smiled...he was still wondering, I'm sure, "WHAT DOES THAT THING HAVE IN IT??" LOL!!

That was the first time I got challenged and my youthful days came alive in me and the days I street raced my Mustangs! I've owned 12 now. It was fun....yes, I know,
I shouldn't have. But, life is short and I'm not a kid any more, and my days of playing with "fun cars" are ever so quickly coming to a point where....well, let's leave it at that!
I love starting up my Mustang and listening that deep growl. It has the variable exh. system, so I can tone it down so not to piss off the neighbors....but, I'm a V8 engine guy
at heart...since my first car at 16 yrs old was a factory Chevy with a V8 with factory dual exh. I've owned MANY V8's. Including a Vette. I need to thin out my 3 car stable, since
I don't drive any of them that much, and I need the space. I hate to sell the Mustang....REALLY hate it, but, I will have to very soon. It has...364 miles on it. Not a mark in or out of
it.

Anyway..I digress. I appreciate my Type S and I'll be keeping it for awhile. Was going to buy the PMC version, but, decided that mine was just fine, and I was afraid of anything
happening to that amazing paint on the PMC edition. Those that don't own a Type S TLX...well, you spout off about what it isn't, etc, etc....and you have NO IDEA what you are
truly talking about. Those of us that own them....and we are few and far between across the U.S.....we know how good they are. Perfect...again, NO. But...DAMN GOOD!!

Thanks one and all. Yes, there are great vehicles out there. Just don't trash one that you truly know nothing about. That means OWNING ONE and putting miles on it.
The following 6 users liked this post by Colorado Guy AF Ret.:
h0ckeyman (08-07-2022), KrylonBlue (08-08-2022), MarcoTLX (08-08-2022), richii0207 (08-07-2022), Tony Pac (08-08-2022), WTF.Acura (08-10-2022) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-08-2022, 09:21 AM
Racer

weight is not a factor with driving dynamics of the type s.
lol!

Last edited by robnalex; 08-08-2022 at 09:29 AM.
Old 08-08-2022, 09:43 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Colorado Guy AF Ret.
And just for the fun of it.....couple of days ago I entered on to a 3 lane major thoroughfare, eased in to the middle lane and glanced over doing so and saw an older
Mustang GT...around a 2010 model or so....didn't have much time to analyze it....and saw the young driver saw me, wondered I suppose what I was driving, and
nailed his Mustang. I saw it coming on hard and fast. I thought, OK....I shouldn't BUT....I started easing down harder on my throttle and started pulling hard with
him in the left lane. He then moved up closer...slightly gaining, but, I was maybe at 1/2 throttle. So, I nudged it on up to about 3/4 throttle and just started walking away
from him. He gave up, slowed down, pulled in behind me, I moved over to that far left lane...where I wanted to be and we came and stopped at the next light.
I just smiled...he was still wondering, I'm sure, "WHAT DOES THAT THING HAVE IN IT??" LOL!!
Throwing up the BS flag on this kill story. Lined up on three honks, ok, maybe. But, to stop someone coming up on you, already in their powerband and then saying you only used half to 3/4 throttle? Not buying it for a second. Even if you buried the go pedal thru the floorboard, you're going to have a tough time stopping that GT from pulling on you if he was already at WOT and he got the hit on you ... and definitely not at half or 3/4 throttle. Either the Mustang was a V6 or the kid had no idea how to drive and was in the wrong gear.
Old 08-08-2022, 09:56 AM
Pro

lol!
You had the base TLX so you wouldn’t know or understand.
Old 08-08-2022, 10:11 AM
Racer

Weight is not a factor with driving dynamics of the Type S.
lol!
You had the base TLX so you wouldn’t know or understand.
B.S. Suggesting that weight is not a factor affecting the driving dynamics of any car is ridiculous. You cannot escape physics.

"TLX Type-S is enormous. It weighs in at 4,221-pounds, that’s 242-pounds more than BMW’s M340i xDrive and 374-pounds more than Audi’s S4. Weight is the enemy on a race track. It has the effect of slowing things down, wearing things out, and heating things up.

When you’re driving a car as big as the Type-S, you’ll definitely notice the weight. Acura does a fantastic job of managing the heft with a tweaked version of the SH-AWD system and a retuned suspension, but you cannot escape physics. Those physics dictate that a car has to work harder to move more mass around, and in the Type-S, that has consequences.

Car and Driver noted that the Type-S worked its tires so hard that only one fast lap was possible before they began to overheat and lose grip. The same is true of the braking system. Acura has fitted the Type-S with 14.3-inch brake rotors gripped by four-piston Brembo calipers. Even with uprated brake pads fitted, the massive Acura burned through a set of pads and rotors each day it was on track.

This is all due to the weight of the car. More weight puts more force through the vehicle’s systems, and in terms of the brakes, they have to work harder to slow the vehicle down." -Shields Bergstrom / MotorBiscuit

Old 08-08-2022, 10:40 AM
Pro

B.S. Suggesting that weight is not a factor affecting the driving dynamics of any car is ridiculous. You cannot escape physics.

"TLX Type-S is enormous. It weighs in at 4,221-pounds, that’s 242-pounds more than BMW’s M340i xDrive and 374-pounds more than Audi’s S4. Weight is the enemy on a race track. It has the effect of slowing things down, wearing things out, and heating things up.

When you’re driving a car as big as the Type-S, you’ll definitely notice the weight. Acura does a fantastic job of managing the heft with a tweaked version of the SH-AWD system and a retuned suspension, but you cannot escape physics. Those physics dictate that a car has to work harder to move more mass around, and in the Type-S, that has consequences.

Car and Driver noted that the Type-S worked its tires so hard that only one fast lap was possible before they began to overheat and lose grip. The same is true of the braking system. Acura has fitted the Type-S with 14.3-inch brake rotors gripped by four-piston Brembo calipers. Even with uprated brake pads fitted, the massive Acura burned through a set of pads and rotors each day it was on track.

This is all due to the weight of the car. More weight puts more force through the vehicle’s systems, and in terms of the brakes, they have to work harder to slow the vehicle down." -Shields Bergstrom / MotorBiscuit
I guess the Panamera has poor driving dynamics because of its weight too. You’re really reading one review from him and just taking his word for it? In case you aren’t aware or have never had track days, tires and pads go quickly during track sessions regardless of what car you’re using.

But what do I know, I only own the car whereas you’re reading about it from someone else, but by the same token you are arguing against another person’s word... You’ve already said a couple of things that were incorrect.

1) TLX has less leg room than your M340i.
They have identical combined legroom. If you deny this, I’d like to see the numbers.

2) TLX gets poor MPG because of its weight.
The much lighter accord gets 1mpg more than the TLX which shares the same engine.

Last edited by richii0207; 08-08-2022 at 10:53 AM.
Old 08-08-2022, 12:18 PM
Racer

I guess the Panamera has poor driving dynamics because of its weight too. You’re really reading one review from him and just taking his word for it? In case you aren’t aware or have never had track days, tires and pads go quickly during track sessions regardless of what car you’re using.

But what do I know, I only own the car whereas you’re reading about it from someone else, but by the same token you are arguing against another person’s word... You’ve already said a couple of things that were incorrect.

1) TLX has less leg room than your M340i.
They have identical combined legroom. If you deny this, I’d like to see the numbers.

2) TLX gets poor MPG because of its weight.
The much lighter accord gets 1mpg more than the TLX which shares the same engine.
Of course, dear. You're absolutely right! I'm so glad you're enjoying yourself! 😁
Overweight cars, like overweight people, wear out faster and die sooner. You don't have to drive any car to appreciate physics.

Last edited by robnalex; 08-08-2022 at 12:21 PM.
Old 08-08-2022, 12:25 PM
Pro

of course, dear. You're absolutely right! I'm so glad you're enjoying yourself! 😁
overweight cars, like overweight people, wear out faster and die sooner. You don't have to drive any car to appreciate physics.
👍. Absolutely am! Apparently you’re not based on your aggressiveness and constant negative attitude.

You still can’t seem to understand the fact that not everyone has your same preference. It’s not all about you.

Last edited by richii0207; 08-08-2022 at 12:32 PM.
Old 08-08-2022, 01:09 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,294 Likes on 2,649 Posts

4221/3979 = 1.06 which means the Type-S is 6% more in mass than a M340ix.

Of course, dear. You're absolutely right! I'm so glad you're enjoying yourself! 😁
Overweight cars, like overweight people, wear out faster and die sooner. You don't have to drive any car to appreciate physics.
if you think the Type-S being 6% more in weight makes it overweight while your M340ix is normal, then you don't understand math and physics.
To put this into overweight people context, that's like one 300lb person telling another 318lb person they're overweight, all other factors being the same

IMO, both are overweight just like both cars

Last edited by Legend2TL; 08-08-2022 at 01:15 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Legend2TL:
bilirubin (08-08-2022), MarcoTLX (08-09-2022), WTF.Acura (08-10-2022)
Old 08-08-2022, 01:55 PM
Pro

Received 510 Likes on 248 Posts
Originally Posted by Legend2TL
if you think the Type-S being 6% more in weight makes it overweight while your M340ix is normal, then you don't understand math and physics.
To put this into overweight people context, that's like one 300lb person telling another 318lb person they're overweight, all other factors being the same
Got 'em!
Old 08-08-2022, 02:27 PM
Racer

👍. Absolutely am! Apparently you’re not based on your aggressiveness and constant negative attitude.

You still can’t seem to understand the fact that not everyone has your same preference. It’s not all about you.

Have a cookie. You'll feel better! 😁
Old 08-08-2022, 02:48 PM
Racer

To put this into overweight people context, that's like one 300lb person telling another 318lb person they're overweight, all other factors being the same IMO, both are overweight just like both cars
That's some weird science, because "all other factors" are not the same. The M340i has 9.14% more horsepower (and better brakes) and weighs 242 lbs less.
Old 08-08-2022, 02:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Both are fat, but one is fatter-er. And 18lbs of fat is substantial. Heck, if you compared a more normal 200lbs vs 212lbs, 12lbs of body fat is still quite a bit. Also, what does the mass consist of? If one person is carrying around more LBM rather than fat, they're going to look better and perform better. Just like the M340ix, though weighing less, also produces a good amount more power. I tried to come up with a good weightlifting analogy but I'm coming up blank ...
The following 2 users liked this post by leomio2.0:
pyrodan007 (08-09-2022), robnalex (08-08-2022)
Old 08-08-2022, 02:59 PM
Pro

That's some weird science, because "all other factors" are not the same. The M340i has 9.14% more horsepower (and better brakes) and weighs 242 lbs less.
*facepalm. Nobody is talking about power… But good for you for having 9.14% more power on your daily driver compared to the Type S. Would you like a trophy for being able to get to the next red light a second faster?

Last edited by richii0207; 08-08-2022 at 03:13 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by richii0207:
bilirubin (08-08-2022), MarcoTLX (08-09-2022)
Old 08-08-2022, 03:14 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,294 Likes on 2,649 Posts
No, it's just facts showing how ridiculous your analogy is on overweight and math

Originally Posted by leomio2.0
Both are fat, but one is fatter-er. And 18lbs of fat is substantial. Heck, if you compared a more normal 200lbs vs 212lbs, 12lbs of body fat is still quite a bit. Also, what does the mass consist of? If one person is carrying around more LBM rather than fat, they're going to look better and perform better. Just like the M340ix, though weighing less, also produces a good amount more power. I tried to come up with a good weightlifting analogy but I'm coming up blank ...
hence why I wrote
they're overweight, all other factors being the same

Last edited by Legend2TL; 08-08-2022 at 03:34 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Legend2TL:
bilirubin (08-08-2022), richii0207 (08-08-2022), Tony Pac (08-08-2022), WTF.Acura (08-10-2022)
Old 08-08-2022, 04:26 PM
Pro

No, it's just facts showing how ridiculous your analogy is on overweight and math

hence why I wrote
Since we’re talking about math. That car also costs 18% more similarly equipped. 🙃
Old 08-08-2022, 04:39 PM
Racer

*facepalm. Nobody is talking about power… But good for you for having 9.14% more power on your daily driver compared to the Type S. Would you like a trophy for being able to get to the next red light a second faster?
A trophy?! Wow! Thank you! You're really very kind! But it also takes a lot less gas for me to get to the next light. Could I have an ice cream cone instead?
Old 08-08-2022, 04:48 PM
Racer

Since we’re talking about math. That car also costs 18% more similarly equipped. 🙃
Actually about 25% ($13,370) more, and worth every penny. 😛

Last edited by robnalex; 08-08-2022 at 04:52 PM.
Old 08-08-2022, 06:30 PM
Pro

Actually about 25% ($13,370) more, and worth every penny. 😛
That’s M3-like pricing for M3-not performance. Jokes aside, I’m sure you enjoy your daily driver given your priorities (acceleration). Surprised you didn’t just get the M3 instead.
MarcoTLX (08-09-2022)
Old 08-08-2022, 06:36 PM
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 20 Posts
First road trip from NJ to Boston complete. This car continues to surprise me! Not even broken in and averaged 31+ MPG at 70-75 mph.

Quick Reply: 2021/2022 TLX versus the Competition