2021/2022 TLX versus the Competition

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2022, 08:25 AM
Pro

Received 434 Likes on 249 Posts
Originally Posted by leomio2.0
The overwhelming car offered up as being "much faster" but "not to my preference" is always the M3P, an EV, which many, myself included, aren't prepared to get behind quite yet. And from internet lore, Tesla seem to be one of the few premium car companies with worse build quality than Acura.
The M3P costs significantly less to maintain/drive, better warranty, more features, and obviously much faster.

But the whole message being “preference”. Not everyone cares for being the first to the next stop sign, driving an EV, having ventilated seats, AWD, etc. Nothing is wrong with having a difference in preference. That’s why some prefer a red light racer with a punishing ride quality while others are willing to give up some performance for a more comfortable ride. For instance, I prefer driving my Type S than my much faster Tesla, even over my CTR for daily commuting.

Also, Tesla has drastically improved QC over the last few years. Zero maintenance other than wear/tear for the life of the car is nice, it reminds me of my BMW with it’s included maintenance.

Last edited by richii0207; 08-01-2022 at 08:34 AM.
Old 08-01-2022, 09:04 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,237 Likes on 2,617 Posts
Originally Posted by dmski
How many people keep their cars for 10 years? 0.00001%.

To put this into perspective, the average age of a American car is 12 years, so it's most probably more than 0.00001%
Although vehicles do change ownerships, I know plenty owners besides myself who keep them well after a decade.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/average...rs-11623680640

Last edited by Legend2TL; 08-01-2022 at 09:11 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Legend2TL:
ESHBG (08-01-2022), richii0207 (08-01-2022)
Old 08-03-2022, 08:15 AM
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 20 Posts
So I am not going to lie, I am completely torn with my decision of this car vs the competition.

The obvious car that is debated on this forum alongside the Type S is the M340i. That is my dilemma.

So, naturally I have test driven both cars. When I got in the Type S, I was prepared to be disappointed. When I got in the M340i, I was prepared to be WOW'd beyond belief. Man, it was quite the opposite. The M340i feels very quick, the B58 is a phenomenal power plant. Handling feels responsive. The car feels nimble and lighter than it really is. For some reason it just didn't get my heart pounding. It felt too "synthetic", even down to the exhaust note and it's perfectly consistent burbles. Wanted to mention, the gas mileage on the B58 is a modern marvel. 30+MPG is amazing, this is another factor to me. Getting out and looking at the car I saw just another car on the road. One I would walk or drive past 1,000 times and never notice. Maybe that's the idea for some.

The Type S got my heart pounding before I even opened the door. The lines and angles on this car hit me just right. I love every side of it. I love the performance wheels. I love the modern(almost too modern) looking interior. The Orchid white pops...especially when paired with Apex Blue Pearl or Tiger Eye Pearl. First move was to put the car into Sport +. The exhaust opened and I took off down the road. The exhaust note is high pitched and angry. Again, it hit me just right. The car has insta-torque. Not saying better than the M340i, but the initial hit when rolling in 2nd gear left nothing to be desired. Handling feels more connected, more fun. Is it objectively better handling or quicker around a track and an M340i? Hardly. But it felt like the better driving experience compared to a great, but robotic and all businessy-feeling M340i. I need a daily driver that I can goof off in. I need something I can toss my 2 year old in the back seat and put a smile on his face. I need something that will be a treat on the highway.

Couple things to note:

I own a Ducati Streetfighter V4. This is a bike that
. Straight line speed is almost a complete non factor to me because I am absolutely desensitized in almost anything that has 4 wheels.
My budget allows me to purchase either a brand new TLX Type S at or close to MSRP - I have found dealers willing to sell my exact preferred setup at this cost. OR - I can purchase a 2020 CPO with around 20-30k miles M340i. Should have warranty for about 2 years.

So my big dilemma is this. I've driven both, my heart gets pounding when I think about owning the Type S, but my logical brain has FOMO, would all of the fun factor I feel about the Type S be for naught if I come to realize that the B58 is just so far superior that I made a huge mistake? Where will tuning take us in the next couple of years? Reviews on the Type S are generally negative - with a few positive ones shining through, some reviewers seem to feel the same as I do. When you sit and crunch numbers you come away with the M340i. When you actually drive the cars, you forget all of that. It is genuinely a very tough decision.

The following 2 users liked this post by h0ckeyman:
Legend2TL (08-03-2022), MarcoTLX (08-03-2022)
Old 08-03-2022, 08:30 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by h0ckeyman
So I am not going to lie, I am completely torn with my decision of this car vs the competition.

The obvious car that is debated on this forum alongside the Type S is the M340i. That is my dilemma.

So, naturally I have test driven both cars. When I got in the Type S, I was prepared to be disappointed. When I got in the M340i, I was prepared to be WOW'd beyond belief. Man, it was quite the opposite. The M340i feels very quick, the B58 is a phenomenal power plant. Handling feels responsive. The car feels nimble and lighter than it really is. For some reason it just didn't get my heart pounding. It felt too "synthetic", even down to the exhaust note and it's perfectly consistent burbles. Wanted to mention, the gas mileage on the B58 is a modern marvel. 30+MPG is amazing, this is another factor to me. Getting out and looking at the car I saw just another car on the road. One I would walk or drive past 1,000 times and never notice. Maybe that's the idea for some.

The Type S got my heart pounding before I even opened the door. The lines and angles on this car hit me just right. I love every side of it. I love the performance wheels. I love the modern(almost too modern) looking interior. The Orchid white pops...especially when paired with Apex Blue Pearl or Tiger Eye Pearl. First move was to put the car into Sport +. The exhaust opened and I took off down the road. The exhaust note is high pitched and angry. Again, it hit me just right. The car has insta-torque. Not saying better than the M340i, but the initial hit when rolling in 2nd gear left nothing to be desired. Handling feels more connected, more fun. Is it objectively better handling or quicker around a track and an M340i? Hardly. But it felt like the better driving experience compared to a great, but robotic and all businessy-feeling M340i. I need a daily driver that I can goof off in. I need something I can toss my 2 year old in the back seat and put a smile on his face. I need something that will be a treat on the highway.

Couple things to note:

I own a Ducati Streetfighter V4. This is a bike that will run 9.9@144MPH bone stock. Straight line speed is almost a complete non factor to me because I am absolutely desensitized in almost anything that has 4 wheels.
My budget allows me to purchase either a brand new TLX Type S at or close to MSRP - I have found dealers willing to sell my exact preferred setup at this cost. OR - I can purchase a 2020 CPO with around 20-30k miles M340i. Should have warranty for about 2 years.

So my big dilemma is this. I've driven both, my heart gets pounding when I think about owning the Type S, but my logical brain has FOMO, would all of the fun factor I feel about the Type S be for naught if I come to realize that the B58 is just so far superior that I made a huge mistake? Where will tuning take us in the next couple of years? Reviews on the Type S are generally negative - with a few positive ones shining through, some reviewers seem to feel the same as I do. When you sit and crunch numbers you come away with the M340i. When you actually drive the cars, you forget all of that. It is genuinely a very tough decision.
From a driving enthusiast standpoint and has always been the overall performance leader in this segment has always been the CT4V BW. I’ve always said this when people look to make a purchase in this segment from a performance metrics POV but always get “not sure about buying a Cadillac”. Have you looked at the CTV4 BW?

It all depends on what you feel comfortable with using as a daily driver. To me, ELS audio, ventilated seats, AWD, and warranty coverage mileage were game-changers when cross-shopping in this segment. It is also one of the most comfortable sedans I’ve driven while being engaging and peppy for spirited driving. The wife’s F30 series was a very engaging car but punishing on long trips, I actually preferred the comfort of my CTR for the trips.

With the beta tune from KTuner which is always a very conservative tune adds 50whp/100wtq and puts the Type S in the mid 12s with a tune alone based on dragys posted. Aftermarket tunes typically yield significantly higher gains compared to base maps from Ktuner, sometimes even doubling the gains.

Last edited by richii0207; 08-03-2022 at 08:42 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by richii0207:
h0ckeyman (08-03-2022), MarcoTLX (08-03-2022)
Old 08-03-2022, 09:26 AM
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 86 Posts

[...]

Gut vs. brain can be a tough choice. TLX-S vs. M340i was also my choice. I went with the BMW because the list of things the M340xi does better than the TLX-S is longer. Nonetheless, there are some things the TLX does better:
  • Exterior design- much more aggressive
  • Sound system: much better than the BMW Harmon-Kardon
  • Better steering feedback, even with the FWD understeer
  • More comfortable seats
  • In your case, the TLX-S would be NEW, with a better warranty and no questions about the car's history.
In the end, it was the much longer list of things the M340i does better that won me over. Gas mileage was a significant factor. OMFG, This 382-horse beast gets 33+ MPG doing 80 MPH. Other important factors were the larger rear-seat legroom, the lighter weight and smaller size of the car (more agile, tossable), and the lack of that nasty pass-through brace. Oh, and it's freakin' scary fast!

The answer to your dilemma may be found in a question: If you go with your gut, can you accept the car for exactly what it is and isn't with all of its shortcomings (they all have them)? In my case, I have to accept that the BMW is a conservative (dull?) yet handsome car, indistinguishable from a 330i unless you see the rear badge. I'm fine with this because I like the stealthy quality. I also have to accept the lesser sound system, the less comfortable seats, and the perfectly fine but somewhat "vague" steering feedback.

If your gut takes you to the TLX-S and can and can accept it for exactly what it is and isn't, you'll be a happy camper!

The following 9 users liked this post by robnalex:
04WDPSeDaN (08-04-2022), ELIN (08-03-2022), estebanjd (08-03-2022), F23A4 (08-03-2022), h0ckeyman (08-03-2022), MarcoTLX (08-06-2022), Sefuthun (08-03-2022), Tony Pac (08-03-2022), WTF.Acura (08-09-2022) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-03-2022, 11:13 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,613 Likes on 971 Posts
Originally Posted by robnalex
Gut vs. brain can be a tough choice. TLX-S vs. M340i was also my choice. I went with the BMW because the list of things the M340xi does better than the TLX-S is longer. Nonetheless, there are some things the TLX does better:
  • More comfortable seats
  • In your case, the TLX-S would be NEW, with a better warranty and no questions about the car's history.
In the end, it was the much longer list of things the M340i does better that won me over. Gas mileage was a significant factor. OMFG, This 382-horse beast gets 33+ MPG doing 80 MPH. Other important factors were the larger rear-seat legroom, the lighter weight and smaller size of the car (more agile, tossable), and the lack of that nasty pass-through brace. Oh, and it's freakin' scary fast!

The answer to your dilemma may be found in a question: If you go with your gut, can you accept the car for exactly what it is and isn't with all of its shortcomings (they all have them)? In my case, I have to accept that the BMW is a conservative (dull?) yet handsome car, indistinguishable from a 330i unless you see the rear badge. I'm fine with this because I like the stealthy quality. I also have to accept the lesser sound system, the less comfortable seats, and the perfectly fine but somewhat "vague" steering feedback.

If your gut takes you to the TLX-S and can and can accept it for exactly what it is and isn't, you'll be a happy camper!
Honestly, one of the best answers I have seen in this forum. Thank you for being transparent, helpful and providing a clear answer to us.
The following 2 users liked this post by Tony Pac:
robnalex (08-04-2022), WTF.Acura (08-09-2022)
Old 08-03-2022, 01:08 PM
Pro

Other important factors were the larger rear-seat legroom
M340i legroom front/rear: 42/35.2in = 77.2in total legroom
TLX legroom front/rear: 42.4/34.9in = 77.3in total legroom

They have the same rear legroom if you were to adjust the front seats of the TLX to match the front legroom of the M340i. They are essentially equal in legroom. If anything the TLX has more legroom (by 0.1 inches which is nothing).

Perhaps you mean the smaller area under the front seats? That makes it tough for rear passengers with big feet to be comfortable.I think that’s because of the ventilated seats.

Last edited by richii0207; 08-03-2022 at 01:12 PM.
Nexx (08-03-2022), WTF.Acura (08-09-2022)
Old 08-03-2022, 04:42 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,667 Likes on 931 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony Pac
Honestly, one of the best answers I have seen in this forum. Thank you for being transparent, helpful and providing a clear answer to us.
that was a fairly spot on assessment.
The following 3 users liked this post by F23A4:
MarcoTLX (08-06-2022), robnalex (08-04-2022), Tony Pac (08-04-2022)
Old 08-03-2022, 05:57 PM
Drifting

Received 1,262 Likes on 917 Posts
I need something I can toss my 2 year old in the back seat and put a smile on his face.
I can't speak for the M340i but the TLX is extremely tight in the back and won't accomodate a lot of front-facing convertible car seats.
I've said this many times to others that if you want a "family car", TLX may not be the best option.

Your best bet is to bring your kid's seat and test it in the prospective TLX!
Old 08-03-2022, 06:28 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by richii0207
From a driving enthusiast standpoint and has always been the overall performance leader in this segment has always been the CT4V BW. I’ve always said this when people look to make a purchase in this segment from a performance metrics POV but always get “not sure about buying a Cadillac”. Have you looked at the CTV4 BW?

It all depends on what you feel comfortable with using as a daily driver. To me, ELS audio, ventilated seats, AWD, and warranty coverage mileage were game-changers when cross-shopping in this segment. It is also one of the most comfortable sedans I’ve driven while being engaging and peppy for spirited driving. The wife’s F30 series was a very engaging car but punishing on long trips, I actually preferred the comfort of my CTR for the trips.

With the beta tune from KTuner which is always a very conservative tune adds 50whp/100wtq and puts the Type S in the mid 12s with a tune alone based on dragys posted. Aftermarket tunes typically yield significantly higher gains compared to base maps from Ktuner, sometimes even doubling the gains.
Briefly considered the CT4V BW - It looks like a great car, but the stunning depreciation of caddy's in general scares me a lot. Maybe that's something I'll purchase used in a few years.

I agree, once legit tunes are out this car will easily breach 400whp and low 12's. That'll be fun for sure when you pair that with the already superb handling and road feel

• More comfortable seats

This is very helpful advice. I agree with pretty much everything you said. Helped me also contextualize my thoughts and feelings to make a rational decision that I think will make me happy in the long term.

This article also helped me a lot as well:

https://www.autoblog.com/2021/12/27/...'s%20favor

I think i was having a hard time accepting that my gut feeling driving the car was an acceptable metric. Again - I am a logical thinker, I like numbers because they're black and white. That being said humans, myself included are not that simple!

I think I've made my choice - TLX Type S it is. For me, I have never been to a track, if I were to go to one, it would be on my Ducati for sure. My car will be a pure highway cruiser and like I mentioned, a backroad carver that I can take my boys out in and have a blast on some mountain roads. I think what I was trying to describe was character - the TLX Type S has a very defined character that matches my personality/driving style and overall purpose. I admire the BMW a lot, I'm sure I would have been happy with it...but I know at the end of the day if that ended up in my driveway I would be dreaming of it being the Type S. That's almost reason alone to make my decision.

Oh, and I wanted to mention. The MPG Is a big time issue. That literally almost swayed it for me. Very painful that Acura could not squeeze out similar numbers. I justify it by telling myself it'll depreciate less and maintenance will be cheaper which will even it all out. Time will tell.

Originally Posted by ELIN
I can't speak for the M340i but the TLX is extremely tight in the back and won't accomodate a lot of front-facing convertible car seats.
I've said this many times to others that if you want a "family car", TLX may not be the best option.

Your best bet is to bring your kid's seat and test it in the prospective TLX!
I fit my 2 year olds FF convertible very easily and also my 4 month old's Doona rear facing infant seat with absolutely zero issue and a lot of leg room for both the wife and I. Very surprised you mentioned this, I was literally just thinking about how amazingly well the seats fit. Maybe I just got lucky with the seats we already use. Also, we have a Model Y that has a ton of storage space so we can use that for road trips ect if we find the Type S too tight.
The following 3 users liked this post by h0ckeyman:
Legend2TL (08-04-2022), MarcoTLX (08-06-2022), WTF.Acura (08-09-2022)
Old 08-03-2022, 06:36 PM
Drifting

Received 1,262 Likes on 917 Posts
I fit my 2 year olds FF convertible very easily and also my 4 month old's Doona rear facing infant seat with absolutely zero issue and a lot of leg room for both the wife and I. Very surprised you mentioned this, I was literally just thinking about how amazingly well the seats fit. Maybe I just got lucky with the seats we already use. Also, we have a Model Y that has a ton of storage space so we can use that for road trips ect if we find the Type S too tight.
It's not just the fit of the seat in the car. When the kid is seated, his/her feet will be jammed up against a seat (unless you and/or your wife are shorter).
Old 08-03-2022, 06:39 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ELIN
It's not just the fit of the seat in the car. When the kid is seated, his/her feet will be jammed up against a seat (unless you and/or your wife are shorter).
Got it, yea I'm about 6'0 and the wife is 5'9, so we're not short by any means. I moved by seat up maybe 1 inch further than my preferred position and we was good to go back there. I think I just lucked out with the seat we have because he seems to fit well, and I am pretty comfortable as well.
The following users liked this post:
ELIN (08-03-2022)
Old 08-03-2022, 06:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Honestly, the interior space hasn’t been an issue when we (me: 5’11, her: 5’2) go on prolonged road trips with our 15 and 11 year old kids (both 5’3). As they’re adept at complaints, they come fairly infrequently when it comes to backseat comfort in our A-Spec.

Granted, I’d still rather take the MDX for those cross country trips.
Old 08-03-2022, 07:20 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,436 Likes on 1,884 Posts
I think he might have meant rear-facing car seats. Front facing you can fit in just about anything; it has more to do with how upright the front seat is, not so much legroom. Hell I had no problems fitting one into my Fiat.

That said, I took my car seats to the dealership and found that it is just as bad (if not worse) at fitting rear facing car seats as the 1G TLX was. Now that my daughter is front facing, unless there's another kid coming maybe I can entertain the option of getting a Type S...
Old 08-03-2022, 07:23 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by fiatlux
I think he might have meant rear-facing car seats. Front facing you can fit in just about anything; it has more to do with how upright the front seat is, not so much legroom. Hell I had no problems fitting one into my Fiat.

That said, I took my car seats to the dealership and found that it is just as bad (if not worse) at fitting rear facing car seats as the 1G TLX was. Now that my daughter is front facing, unless there's another kid coming maybe I can entertain the option of getting a Type S...
Not sure if you saw but I have a Doona rear facing infant seat(that is also a stroller, it's badass), but it fits amazingly well. My 5'9 wife has plenty of leg room in front of it. I think again, really depends on manufacturer of the seat and how it fits. Some may be a struggle, others fit quite well.
Old 08-03-2022, 07:39 PM
Pro

Received 542 Likes on 265 Posts
Briefly considered the CT4V BW - It looks like a great car, but the stunning depreciation of caddy's in general scares me a lot. Maybe that's something I'll purchase used in a few years.

I agree, once legit tunes are out this car will easily breach 400whp and low 12's. That'll be fun for sure when you pair that with the already superb handling and road feel

This is very helpful advice. I agree with pretty much everything you said. Helped me also contextualize my thoughts and feelings to make a rational decision that I think will make me happy in the long term.

I think i was having a hard time accepting that my gut feeling driving the car was an acceptable metric. Again - I am a logical thinker, I like numbers because they're black and white. That being said humans, myself included are not that simple!

I think I've made my choice - TLX Type S it is. For me, I have never been to a track, if I were to go to one, it would be on my Ducati for sure. My car will be a pure highway cruiser and like I mentioned, a backroad carver that I can take my boys out in and have a blast on some mountain roads. I think what I was trying to describe was character - the TLX Type S has a very defined character that matches my personality/driving style and overall purpose. I admire the BMW a lot, I'm sure I would have been happy with it...but I know at the end of the day if that ended up in my driveway I would be dreaming of it being the Type S. That's almost reason alone to make my decision.

Oh, and I wanted to mention. The MPG Is a big time issue. That literally almost swayed it for me. Very painful that Acura could not squeeze out similar numbers. I justify it by telling myself it'll depreciate less and maintenance will be cheaper which will even it all out. Time will tell.

Take your time and test drive them more. Type S has great dynamics. Acura spent a lot of time tuning this car and it's a joy to drive. It sounds like you know what I'm talking about. Short test drive is not enough.
Old 08-04-2022, 08:50 AM
Racer

My car will be a pure highway cruiser and like I mentioned, a backroad carver that I can take my boys out in and have a blast on some mountain roads.
Keep in mind that the TLX is a WIDE car (75.2"). It's almost a half inch wider than an RDX and 3 inches wider than an M340i. This may not matter on the highway, but you'll definitely have to be more careful on those narrow, twisty mountain roads.
Old 08-04-2022, 09:31 AM
Racer

Yes, that's one of the kinder reviews of TLX-S, and the reviewer makes a good point about the overall driving experience. I haven't driven a Type-S. I owned a regular 2021 TLX with SH-AWD, and it was a very nice car to drive, though under-powered. I didn't need to test a Type-S because I knew it would share some of the same characteristics I disliked about the regular TLX: the weight, the size, and the poor fuel economy. Were it not for those items the Type-S would have been a serious contender, and I certainly would have test-driven one, and quite likely would have purchased one.

I like that my M340xi checks nearly all of the boxes, and that in terms of performance the bimmer is the real deal, whereas the Type-S is a very nice wannabe. That you're comparing a two-year-old BMW to a new Acura is an important factor that should make your decision easier, whereas I was considering new vs new. If I were making the same comparison, the new TLX-S would have definitely had an edge over the used M340i, especially since I was making my decision before the recent gas price spike.

I agree with those who are urging you to find a Type-S to test drive. If not at a dealer, perhaps a fellow forum member near you will let you take a spin in his/her Type-S. Good luck, and keep us posted!
Old 08-04-2022, 09:45 AM
Racer

there are some things the TLX does better:
  • More comfortable seats
I just thought of another (minor) thing the TLX does better than the M340i:

That fugly Acura drive mode knob (same in our RDX) is actually more convenient than the buttons on the BMW. You can reach over, and switch modes quickly without looking. The BMW drive mode buttons are next to the shift stick, so you have to look down to find the right button. I still haven't learned to do it without looking.

Old 08-04-2022, 09:55 AM
Intermediate

Yes, that's one of the kinder reviews of TLX-S, and the reviewer makes a good point about the overall driving experience. I haven't driven a Type-S. I owned a regular 2021 TLX with SH-AWD, and it was a very nice car to drive, though under-powered. I didn't need to test a Type-S because I knew it would share some of the same characteristics I disliked about the regular TLX: the weight, the size, and the poor fuel economy. Were it not for those items the Type-S would have been a serious contender, and I certainly would have test-driven one, and quite likely would have purchased one.

I like that my M340xi checks nearly all of the boxes, and that in terms of performance the bimmer is the real deal, whereas the Type-S is a very nice wannabe. That you're comparing a two-year-old BMW to a new Acura is an important factor that should make your decision easier, whereas I was considering new vs new. If I were making the same comparison, the new TLX-S would have definitely had an edge over the used M340i, especially since I was making my decision before the recent gas price spike.

I agree with those who are urging you to find a Type-S to test drive. If not at a dealer, perhaps a fellow forum member near you will let you take a spin in his/her Type-S. Good luck, and keep us posted!
Sorry, perhaps you didn't see my previous post - I have test driven both the Type S and the M340i, here was my take:

"The Type S got my heart pounding before I even opened the door. The lines and angles on this car hit me just right. I love every side of it. I love the performance wheels. I love the modern(almost too modern) looking interior. The Orchid white pops...especially when paired with Apex Blue Pearl or Tiger Eye Pearl. First move was to put the car into Sport +. The exhaust opened and I took off down the road. The exhaust note is high pitched and angry. Again, it hit me just right. The car has insta-torque. Not saying better than the M340i, but the initial hit when rolling in 2nd gear left nothing to be desired. Handling feels more connected, more fun. Is it objectively better handling or quicker around a track and an M340i? Hardly. But it felt like the better driving experience compared to a great, but robotic and all businessy-feeling M340i. I need a daily driver that I can goof off in. I need something I can toss my 2 year old in the back seat and put a smile on his face. I need something that will be a treat on the highway."

I actually disagree with your synopsis of the Type S being a "wannabe" - It is exactly what it set out to be. Acura talks about driving experience. Evoking emotions. This the Type S is my hands down winner over the m340i in that category, without any question. The M340i felt fast, but robotic. The Type S was carefully crafted to provide a pretty unique and exciting driving experience on the ROAD, not necessarily the fastest track times. From the software tuning to the actual engine components that were chosen(Twin scroll Turbo, air/flow dynamics of the cylinder head, ect), this car was meant to make mid-range power that hits at any RPM, not necessarily top end power that rings out and provides best peak HP #'s and 1/4 mile times. Also as I mentioned above - straight line performance is almost meaningless to me. I own a Ducati Streetfighter V4 that does a high 9.9@144mph in the 1/4 mile, there is almost no car that gets my blood pumping in a straight line. Perhaps that is a big factor as well. Also wanted to mention I bought a brand new M2 Competition last year. I owned it for about 4-5 months because it just didn't click with me on my daily driving experience. Lastly, you mention me comparing the new Type S to a CPO M340i - this is because those are aligned from a cost perspective. The M340i simply is more expensive. The value I was getting from Acura without the nickel and diming that the Germans do for accessories was a big factor to me as well. So perhaps for me, I am just not the BMW guy I thought I was. A lot of this is subjective. I admire the M340i, it is an absolute beast of a machine and I think it's amazing that it's out there to be had.
The following 6 users liked this post by h0ckeyman:
a35tl (08-05-2022), Legend2TL (08-04-2022), MarcoTLX (08-06-2022), richii0207 (08-04-2022), Tony Pac (08-04-2022), WTF.Acura (08-09-2022) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-04-2022, 11:26 AM
Pro

Sorry, perhaps you didn't see my previous post - I have test driven both the Type S and the M340i, here was my take:

"The Type S got my heart pounding before I even opened the door. The lines and angles on this car hit me just right. I love every side of it. I love the performance wheels. I love the modern(almost too modern) looking interior. The Orchid white pops...especially when paired with Apex Blue Pearl or Tiger Eye Pearl. First move was to put the car into Sport +. The exhaust opened and I took off down the road. The exhaust note is high pitched and angry. Again, it hit me just right. The car has insta-torque. Not saying better than the M340i, but the initial hit when rolling in 2nd gear left nothing to be desired. Handling feels more connected, more fun. Is it objectively better handling or quicker around a track and an M340i? Hardly. But it felt like the better driving experience compared to a great, but robotic and all businessy-feeling M340i. I need a daily driver that I can goof off in. I need something I can toss my 2 year old in the back seat and put a smile on his face. I need something that will be a treat on the highway."

I actually disagree with your synopsis of the Type S being a "wannabe" - It is exactly what it set out to be. Acura talks about driving experience. Evoking emotions. This the Type S is my hands down winner over the m340i in that category, without any question. The M340i felt fast, but robotic. The Type S was carefully crafted to provide a pretty unique and exciting driving experience on the ROAD, not necessarily the fastest track times. From the software tuning to the actual engine components that were chosen(Twin scroll Turbo, air/flow dynamics of the cylinder head, ect), this car was meant to make mid-range power that hits at any RPM, not necessarily top end power that rings out and provides best peak HP #'s and 1/4 mile times. Also as I mentioned above - straight line performance is almost meaningless to me. I own a Ducati Streetfighter V4 that does a high 9.9@144mph in the 1/4 mile, there is almost no car that gets my blood pumping in a straight line. Perhaps that is a big factor as well. Also wanted to mention I bought a brand new M2 Competition last year. I owned it for about 4-5 months because it just didn't click with me on my daily driving experience. Lastly, you mention me comparing the new Type S to a CPO M340i - this is because those are aligned from a cost perspective. The M340i simply is more expensive. The value I was getting from Acura without the nickel and diming that the Germans do for accessories was a big factor to me as well. So perhaps for me, I am just not the BMW guy I thought I was. A lot of this is subjective. I admire the M340i, it is an absolute beast of a machine and I think it's amazing that it's out there to be had.
It sounds like we’ll be having the same selection in our stables! (Wife’s Model Y and my TLX Type S).

Totally agree on driving experience versus reading metrics. I mean if someone is a red light racer or cares to show off numbers at a drag track, then the faster car should be more appealing and in that case a Tesla will be king in its respective segment, or CTV4 BW for ICE.

Even though our Tesla is significantly faster than the Type S, it’s more thrilling to drive the Type S. I’m hoping that Tesla can add more character to their vehicles so I can consider the S or the X in the near future.

Last edited by richii0207; 08-04-2022 at 11:29 AM.
h0ckeyman (08-04-2022), WTF.Acura (08-09-2022)
Old 08-05-2022, 07:50 AM
Racer

Sorry, perhaps you didn't see my previous post - I have test driven both the Type S and the M340i
Sorry, my bad. I was confusing you with another perspective buyer in another thread.
Old 08-05-2022, 08:04 AM
Racer

I actually disagree with your synopsis of the Type S being a "wannabe" - It is exactly what it set out to be. Acura talks about driving experience. Evoking emotions.
We'll have to agree to disagree. I find the "driving experience" in the M340i to be absolutely exhilarating, as do most owners. In terms of pure performance, which includes fuel economy, btw, there is no comparison. M340i is the real deal. TLX-S is a nice deal, but not even in the same league in terms of performance. Oh, and btw, in terms of "driving experience", the M340i has a quieter cabin and much less harsh ride with the adaptive suspension. TLX will send every bump right up your bum.
Old 08-05-2022, 08:31 AM
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
We'll have to agree to disagree. I find the "driving experience" in the M340i to be absolutely exhilarating, as do most owners. In terms of pure performance, which includes fuel economy, btw, there is no comparison. M340i is the real deal. TLX-S is a nice deal, but not even in the same league in terms of performance. Oh, and btw, in terms of "driving experience", the M340i has a quieter cabin and much less harsh ride with the adaptive suspension. TLX will send every bump right up your bum.
I thought the type s had adaptive suspension as well. Most reviewers say the type s actually has a cushier ride over rough roads but all say the bmw has a quieter cabin. I think most people would find either fun to drive.
Old 08-05-2022, 08:38 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by PredatorWH
I thought the type s had adaptive suspension as well. Most reviewers say the type s actually has a cushier ride over rough roads but all say the bmw has a quieter cabin. I think most people would find either fun to drive.
Yes, again, I completely, whole heartedly disagree about ride quality. Type S has adaptive suspension that I've found to be much much less harsh in the comfort setting compared to the BMW. Also just the overall suspension feel was much less harsh and much more road friendly. I maintain that on the track the M340i has better performance, but as a DD on the actual road the Type S easily wins for me. Really the only thing going in the BMW's favor for road performance was the gas mileage in my book. And again - I have a 9 second bike, neither of these cars are "exhilarating" in a straight line for me. The handling of the Type S just felt more fun and enjoyable to me on the road.

All comes back to my original synopsis - crunch straight numbers without driving them, you'd suspect the M340i would be the better choice. Actually drive the cars on the road - you come out choosing the Type S. Of course if you're a person who loves hitting the track all the time I can see picking the BMW for that reason. That is not what I plan on doing.
WTF.Acura (08-09-2022)
Old 08-05-2022, 08:38 AM
Pro

Aren’t you comparing your M340i to your former car, a 4 cyl TLX?

It sounds like you really wanted maximum performance in an ICE. In that case, CT4V BW wins hands down. Same acceleration as your M340i with significantly better driving dynamics, handling, faster lap times, and much more road compliant. Now since you mentioned prioritizing performance and fuel economy, the M3P would be your pick.

Last edited by richii0207; 08-05-2022 at 08:49 AM.
WTF.Acura (08-09-2022)
Old 08-05-2022, 08:44 AM
Intermediate

Oh and by the way guys - I went to check out several more CPO M340i's, entered into some negotiations but didn't pull the trigger. Then I found a brand new Tiger Eye Pearl Type S. The dealer was in the mood to sell this car because I was offered about 2% off MSRP. So, this happened.

The best news of all is I brought the car home and threw my 2 year old in for a ride and he was ear to ear with a huge smile the entire time! Lots of other factors pointed me in this direction, but perhaps that's the biggest positive confirmation of all.
The following 11 users liked this post by h0ckeyman:
a35tl (08-06-2022), bilirubin (08-05-2022), Freds_SLife (08-05-2022), harpazo (08-05-2022), Legend2TL (08-05-2022), MarcoTLX (08-06-2022), Pens Fan (08-05-2022), richii0207 (08-05-2022), Tony Pac (08-05-2022), wizardjjr (08-14-2022), WTF.Acura (08-09-2022) and 6 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-05-2022, 08:53 AM
Intermediate

Annoying I can't edit posts. I guess I'm still too new here. Anyway, here is the 2nd pic I meant to attach:

The following 7 users liked this post by h0ckeyman:
Freds_SLife (08-05-2022), harpazo (08-05-2022), Legend2TL (08-05-2022), MarcoTLX (08-06-2022), richii0207 (08-05-2022), Tony Pac (08-05-2022), WTF.Acura (08-09-2022) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-05-2022, 09:12 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,613 Likes on 971 Posts
Congrats! Beauty! Look is subjective but i have to say the best looking car in this segment.
The following 4 users liked this post by Tony Pac:
bilirubin (08-05-2022), h0ckeyman (08-05-2022), MarcoTLX (08-06-2022), WTF.Acura (08-09-2022)
Old 08-05-2022, 09:19 AM
Racer

Actually drive the cars on the road - you come out choosing the Type S. Of course if you're a person who loves hitting the track all the time I can see picking the BMW for that reason.
Nope, nope, and nope. Total B.S. Congratulations on your new TLX-S. Love that "Pimp Daddy Gold"!
h0ckeyman (08-05-2022)
Old 08-05-2022, 10:28 AM
Senior Moderator

Open Road Acura East Brunswick? If so, I drive past that store on a regular basis.

That said, TEP is an acquired taste.
Old 08-05-2022, 10:33 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by F23A4
Open Road Acura East Brunswick? If so, I drive past that store on a regular basis.

It's a dramatic color for sure. Can understand why it would be a bit polarizing but I like the fact that its Type-S Exclusive and also how it vastly changes depending on the way the light hits it. Tempted to see how a black roof would look. We will see
WTF.Acura (08-09-2022)
Old 08-05-2022, 10:42 AM
Senior Moderator

It's a dramatic color for sure. Can understand why it would be a bit polarizing but I like the fact that its Type-S Exclusive and also how it vastly changes depending on the way the light hits it. Tempted to see how a black roof would look. We will see
Yeah, the flipside on TEP is that one needn't question whether or not it's an A-Spec.
Old 08-05-2022, 12:46 PM
Pro

Nope, nope, and nope. Total B.S. Congratulations on your new TLX-S. Love that "Pimp Daddy Gold"!
What’s with the constant microaggression? He has a different opinion than you. Just take it and move on.

You keep talking about the M340i being a better performer. Well guess what, the CTV4BW is miles better in overall performance, why didn’t you get that instead? Oh that’s right, preference.

Last edited by richii0207; 08-05-2022 at 12:49 PM.
h0ckeyman (08-05-2022), WTF.Acura (08-09-2022)
Old 08-05-2022, 01:10 PM
Pro

Annoying I can't edit posts. I guess I'm still too new here. Anyway, here is the 2nd pic I meant to attach:
Congrats! Nice color selection. I’ve been saying how the Type S’ are available at MSRP since non-shoppers of it are saying it’s impossible.

What color is your Model Y? Maybe we’re 2/2 on colors too🤣.
Old 08-05-2022, 02:23 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 672 Likes on 417 Posts
Congrats on the purchase. I'm surprised you got anything off sticker in this market. Orchid interior is awesome. It's what I test drove my TLX-S in and really liked it, I just think it kinda didn't go with my top exterior color choice of white.

Originally Posted by F23A4

It looks great in the sun. On a cloudy day, it doesn't really pop. It's certainly unique. I'm a basic b*tch and stick with white ... maybe a nardo grey. I think the TLX-S would look fantastic in a nardo grey with black wheels. It would have been neat to see them go this route for their PMC edition.
Old 08-05-2022, 02:29 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by richii0207
Congrats! Nice color selection. I’ve been saying how the Type S’ are available at MSRP since non-shoppers of it are saying it’s impossible
What color is your Model Y? Maybe we’re 2/2 on colors too🤣.
Haha, nice! My model Y is white with the black wheels! I love the grey though! Also I agree, there are def dealers out there willing to play ball. Key is to stick to your guns and wait to find the right deal. It can literally be a day by day thing, never know what the sales manager might be willing to do. Only way to find out is to go around and ask, and be ready to pull the trigger immediately. Had a dealer telling me up and down his $5k over MSRP was by far the best deal around - texted me today and it felt really good to share that I got one under sticker lol!

Congrats on the purchase. I'm surprised you got anything off sticker in this market. Orchid interior is awesome. It's what I test drove my TLX-S in and really liked it, I just think it kinda didn't go with my top exterior color choice of white.
It looks great in the sun. On a cloudy day, it doesn't really pop. It's certainly unique. I'm a basic b*tch and stick with white ... maybe a nardo grey. I think the TLX-S would look fantastic in a nardo grey with black wheels. It would have been neat to see them go this route for their PMC edition.
White looks awesome for sure. As I said above my Model Y is white so I just would have felt weird coming home with another white car haha. I'm still getting used to how the color of this car changes in sun vs cloud vs partial sun. It's pretty nuts for sure. I really am considering going black roof but I am undecided. For sure black sets this color off nicely but I don't want to go overboard with it.
Old 08-05-2022, 02:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by PredatorWH
I've heard both of them get docked for having harsh rides. On my short test drives with both over broken pavement (though, not actual potholes - just poorly fixed ones, as is the NY way), I honestly didn't find either to have a "harsh" ride. I would say the TLX-S was a bit softer, but that would easily be rectified by changing out those god-awful RFTs on the BMW.

Regarding driving dynamics ... neither really jumped out as me as being fantastically better than the other. I could see both as being very livable as daily drivers. Maybe I'm just not "keen" enough to tell the difference. That being said, personally, I find Audis to have the best driving dynamics. I'm just traumatized from having to work on them a little over a decade ago and cursing the goddamn Audi engineers that put them together and swearing never to own one in my lifetime.
Old 08-05-2022, 02:42 PM
Burning Brakes

White looks awesome for sure. As I said above my Model Y is white so I just would have felt weird coming home with another white car haha. I'm still getting used to how the color of this car changes in sun vs cloud vs partial sun. It's pretty nuts for sure. I really am considering going black roof but I am undecided. For sure black sets this color off nicely but I don't want to go overboard with it.
Eh, I'm not a huge fan of the black roof look on a lot of cars. Personally, I don't think the TEP would look great with it. Same with the wheels. I think the current wheels actually go with the color better than black wheels would. Other colors like white, light grey, silver, etc. I think do better with black wheels. That's just me though.
Old 08-05-2022, 05:11 PM
Pro

I'm just traumatized from having to work on them a little over a decade ago and cursing the goddamn Audi engineers that put them together and swearing never to own one in my lifetime.
Haha, I swore the same thing after the last of my 4 BMWs. Bleeding edge technology but a PIA to maintain both financially and labor-wise. Definitely spoiled by the ease and cost of Honda/Acura and for Tesla, well, there’s just nothing to maintain.

Quick Reply: 2021/2022 TLX versus the Competition