9AT Hard Shift 1-2 and 2-3

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2016, 09:39 AM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocketsfan
But this is just what I'm arguing. Why does having to take responsibility only come in extreme cases? Does someone have to die before it's Honda/Acura's fault? Is that the only scenario where someone has to pay? All Volkswagen did was fib a little, right? This isn't like no one at Acura knew this tranny was a dud when it left the factory. At least if it was something that happens years down the road, I could forgive them.

And all I said in response is that we aren't naïve. We understand that. I understand Acura doesn't want to pay for their own screw-up and are looking for ways to minimize their losses. It's understandable. I'm just saying ... it's wrong.

On at least 3 occasions, the car failed to accelerate from a dead stop when I pressed the gas. I lifted my foot off the pedal and pushed down again and it accelerated normally. On one of those occasions I was trying to cross a busy street and could've gotten t-boned because of the delayed response. On another of those occasions I nearly accelerated into my fence because I pushed the accelerator down further thinking I hadn't pushed it enough. That's not what I call "working". I can put up with the clunky transmission -- apparently I have to, but I would not call every situation an example of how the transmission "does work". Not to mention, I've driven a TLX in which the transmission DOES work as intended, at least as far as that day I had it, anyway.

Hell, no. That's exactly what Acura wants. I think I've convinced 2 people not to buy a TLX. I'll keep singing Acura's "praises" while I own this car. I don't buy cars every 3 or 4 years. I pay cash for them and drive them until the proverbial wheels fall off. This will probably be the first car I get rid of "far too early", but it won't be for another few years until the warranty is up.

After being a fan of this company and waiting years for this car to be released (through delays -- wonder what that big delay was about? hmmm...), only to get stiff-armed and being provided every stupid nonsensical excuse as to why the transmission is "normal"? Then to have idiot dealerships act like beggars asking me to choose all the options "on the right side of the survey" because they want to get good grades? lol.

If people here "just go buy another car", this forum is no different than many of the Caddy forums I used to frequent. Wheels flying off the car, dragging mufflers, seats flying out the window (ok, I'm exaggerating) and people acting like "eh, whatever... I'll be out of this lease in another couple of years". Honda/Acura was supposed to be about reliability or at least backing up their cars. Obviously they're not doing that for everybody and that's what got me pissed. For some of us, all we get is Precision Crafted BS from dealerships and corporate with each pointing the finger at the other saying "it's their fault".

In all fairness, the transmission post-a-myriad-of-software-updates shifts better now, but no, it doesn't shift like a properly functioning TLX transmission. It's gone from "weird shifting" to "unbearable shifting" to "well, it's improved" status. Go Acura.

Anywho, didn't mean to get on anybody's nerves with the post. I'll let everyone get back to discussing the hard shifting normal transmissions.
Yeah, I understand your angst. I'm not trying to be an Acura apologist, either - I guess I just have a slightly different slant on it. And I was probably a little grumpy when I made that post.

By the way, the "slow down, then accelerate dead spot" and the "dead spot from a stop" issues have been around for awhile. My '06 TL, '12 TL, and '13 RDX all had it. There were lots of times - like yours - where I would step on it to get out of the way, or across an intersection or whatever, and it was like the car just died for a second, or the accelerator wasn't connected to the engine. Then it would spurt forward.

We were told that it was the traction control trying to keep the wheels from spinning. And sure enough, if you turned off the TC, the dead spot went away. Personally, I'd rather spin the tires momentarily than to be creamed by a truck.

I hope you get things worked out.
Old 01-28-2016, 09:39 AM
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by rgpolson
These transmission issues are more than just a glitch. This transmission was not ready for prime time and so far software "workarounds" have not made the affected transmissions comparable with the swapped-out transmission or the 2016 transmission.

The transmission has gone from just plain bad in affected 2015 models to acceptable (but certainly not good) in the 2016. The 2016 is still plagued with "glitches" and just poor design.

The "rolling stop" glitch persists in the 2016 model. And sloppy, slow downshifts persist. The second is a by product of the transmission having to sequential downshift and going from 9-4 or 8-4 just takes way too long. The latest update for the MDX apparently made a change to let the transmission skip a gear or two in downshifts, but I can find nothing that states this change has been made for the TLX.

Acura has been pretty moronic dealing with the problem. Denials, half-truths, etc. I tild my ACR I was plenty willing to work with them. I told them I was even willing to beta-test software versions. No response.

I figure I ate about 5-6k to get from a bad transmission to an acceptable transmission.

And Honda/Acura continues to deny issue. Complete tone deafness.

- A ten time Honda/Acura buyer, now a former Honda/Acura buyer

I'm meeting with the dealer again on Wed next week as requested by ACR, but not really assuming much will get done.

I'm 50 years old and have owned cars going back to late 1970s models, and have owned a Lexus, Mazda, Ford, VW, Honda, and while the rough shifts from 2-3 can be annoying, most times I don't even notice them now. Maybe my outlook is just different than some of the younger buyers.

My vehicle was a 9/14 early build, so not sure if it's subjective and different people have different expectations, but it's not something I want to waste a huge amount of my time on. If they won't replace it now, then I have 6 years or 70K miles and if it gets worse or breaks completely, they'll have to replace it.
Old 01-28-2016, 11:09 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike_TX
I'm not arguing, but I've never had a car that DIDN'T have some kind of glitch. And I've had some nice cars - 2 different Lexus LS400's, a Lexus LS460, a Lexus RX300 and an IS350, a BMW 740i and 3 different 540i's, 2 different Cadillac STS's, an Infiniti M56, 2 different Acura RL's, an MDX and an RDX, and on and on.

Every single one of them had something about it that wasn't "right". I guess maybe I'm too much of a perfectionist, but over the years I've learned to accept some things because I'm an old guy now and I don't think the perfect car is going to ever be made.

And all in all, the TLX has a lot going for it, so I'm going to run with it until I'm ready to try something else. Maybe an Audi next time.

I think maybe you are being a perfectionist and nothing wrong with that, but a glitch to many of us is minor annoyance, this transmission at times borders on being a safety issue. All of my cars have had things that were annoying, but the transmission is more than annoying and mine is a late 15 with all the updates and still sucks.
Old 01-28-2016, 11:17 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by KeithL
this transmission at times borders on being a safety issue.
Maybe it depends on the vehicle and there may be variances based on VIN, but mine has never, ever come close to what I would list as a "safety issue" or anything like it. To me it's maybe an annoyance and really just a quirk.

Again, not minimizing the pain of others, but relaying that mine (built 9/14) isn't even close to the safety edge.
Old 01-28-2016, 11:19 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by neil0311
I've had my TLX (V6 AWD) for about 2 months and 1,500 miles. I've opened a case with ACR but honestly, since the last software update and TCU reprogram, the issue has been very slight. The hard shifts from 2-3 gear still exist, but they're intermittant and transient.

I can see the dealer pushing back more now than they did when they did the 15-040 TSB. Is the tranny prefect, no, but not sure replacement is warranted, especially if another software update will refine things further.

Not sure I want to give a new car to the dealer to rip apart when I have 6 years and 70K miles to see if the issue gets worse.
What is this last software upgrade? Do they have another update other than 15-040.
Old 01-28-2016, 12:25 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by kchemist
What is this last software upgrade? Do they have another update other than 15-040.
I asked about and brought in 15-040 but don't know if something new came out. They said they used the "latest" version for my vehicle.

How can I tell?
Old 01-28-2016, 01:54 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I asked about and brought in 15-040 but don't know if something new came out. They said they used the "latest" version for my vehicle.

How can I tell?
Ok great thanks
Old 01-28-2016, 05:43 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Maybe it depends on the vehicle and there may be variances based on VIN, but mine has never, ever come close to what I would list as a "safety issue" or anything like it. To me it's maybe an annoyance and really just a quirk.

Again, not minimizing the pain of others, but relaying that mine (built 9/14) isn't even close to the safety edge.
I have been in situation when the car is slowing down
Old 01-28-2016, 08:28 PM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I wouldn't say mine is a safety issue either but that doesn't mean it's not a problem. I'm able to mimic the problem like 90% of the time in Sports+ and that's how I tend to demo it to the field rep. It's a lot more noticeable in Sports+ that any other mode. I'm just wondering if they'll say something like oh it's normal for Sports+ to have a bit of a jerk.
Old 01-28-2016, 09:19 PM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by Vlke
I wouldn't say mine is a safety issue either but that doesn't mean it's not a problem. I'm able to mimic the problem like 90% of the time in Sports+ and that's how I tend to demo it to the field rep. It's a lot more noticeable in Sports+ that any other mode. I'm just wondering if they'll say something like oh it's normal for Sports+ to have a bit of a jerk.
Tell them if it's normal, then the 2016 should do it too (hint, it doesn't!). I've got 2300 km on mine and haven't seen it happen yet, and I've purposely tried to get it to do a jerky shift from 2-3. I have had one jerky shift though, and that was redlining 4th gear going into 5th. My guess is that the engagement of the dog clutch requiring power to be disconnected, then suddenly having all that power on was the cause. I bet the same thing would happen if I were to redline 7th gear going into 8th (although no sane person, including myself, should EVER redline in 7th gear, you would be going way too fast! I think the car tops out before you could even redline 7th lol).
Old 01-28-2016, 09:24 PM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I brought up the 2015 vs 2016 before and the service manager response was maybe the 2016 was more refined but doesn't mean the 2015 is bad. It's fine but 2016 is more refined...
Old 01-28-2016, 10:24 PM
Racer

So here is the question...

Since the hard shifts are almost exclusively from 2nd to 3rd gear (and very rarely from 1st to 2nd), but they don't happen all the time, what is the consensus as to the problem?

Everyone says the 2015 tranny is bad and the 2016 is good, so what is the cause of the issue? Why is the rough shifting only present in the lower gears and never above 3rd gear (that I've ever experienced)?

I'm have no vested interest here beyond not wanting my new $36K vehicle to have a catastrophic failure. I own it outright, but will probably not keep it beyond the 6yr/70K miles power train warranty, unless something is resolved before then. I am really curious though WHAT the issue is, if what people believe is correct, that it's hardware.

I also am curious why software seems to at least make a large difference in behavior, both after updates and the relearn process, and also between IDS settings. Anyone have an engineering background who can explain why they feel the shifts between 2nd and 3rd are the way they are?
Old 01-28-2016, 11:57 PM

So here is the question...

Since the hard shifts are almost exclusively from 2nd to 3rd gear (and very rarely from 1st to 2nd), but they don't happen all the time, what is the consensus as to the problem?

Everyone says the 2015 tranny is bad and the 2016 is good, so what is the cause of the issue? Why is the rough shifting only present in the lower gears and never above 3rd gear (that I've ever experienced)?

I'm have no vested interest here beyond not wanting my new $36K vehicle to have a catastrophic failure. I own it outright, but will probably not keep it beyond the 6yr/70K miles power train warranty, unless something is resolved before then. I am really curious though WHAT the issue is, if what people believe is correct, that it's hardware.

I also am curious why software seems to at least make a large difference in behavior, both after updates and the relearn process, and also between IDS settings. Anyone have an engineering background who can explain why they feel the shifts between 2nd and 3rd are the way they are?

The only thing the transmission is doing from 2 to 3 is releasing the C-brake and engaging the B-clutch. It's supposed to do those 2 things at the same time, as far as I know. Something may be intermittently getting stuck in the valve body (unlikely), or the timing is off, or any number of issues.

The reason it has to be something hardware is because if it was simply a software fix, Acura would have just mandated that all 2015's receive the same software as the 2016's. That would be super cheap to implement. Obviously they haven't done that, so that rules that out (companies will almost always take the cheapest path out if it solves it). Why replace a transmission entirely for a software update?

Hell, even if it was just the TCU, that's on the outside of the transmission. There must be some internal part that's different in some way, even if it's minor, and may have to do with a component in the C-brake or B-clutch. I'm only guessing at this point though.
Old 01-29-2016, 06:33 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by youngTL
The only thing the transmission is doing from 2 to 3 is releasing the C-brake and engaging the B-clutch. It's supposed to do those 2 things at the same time, as far as I know. Something may be intermittently getting stuck in the valve body (unlikely), or the timing is off, or any number of issues.

The reason it has to be something hardware is because if it was simply a software fix, Acura would have just mandated that all 2015's receive the same software as the 2016's. That would be super cheap to implement. Obviously they haven't done that, so that rules that out (companies will almost always take the cheapest path out if it solves it). Why replace a transmission entirely for a software update?

Hell, even if it was just the TCU, that's on the outside of the transmission. There must be some internal part that's different in some way, even if it's minor, and may have to do with a component in the C-brake or B-clutch. I'm only guessing at this point though.
So assuming that's what's happening and nothing is done, what does that do to the operation of the transmission long term?

If this just a quirky annoyance or is damage occurring slowly (or not so slowly)?
Old 01-29-2016, 08:16 AM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Just saw the NSX 0001 car at Barrett Jackson. It's one of the in a charity auction cars Has a nine speed double clutch trans. I wonder if they have the same issues. Doubt it. Don't care stunning car. $157000.
Old 01-29-2016, 09:31 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 400 Likes on 282 Posts

I am in a similar position to you, an 8/14 build. The 2-3 shift is a minor annoyance at times but not always, and not even close to a safety issue. I have never experienced the accelerator dead spot, maybe it is how I drive. The service department suggests there are no TSB's for my car. This is part of what make the situation so confusing.
Old 01-29-2016, 09:35 AM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Agree that this is not just a software issue or the 6 TSBs (counting the 4 versions of 15-040) would have corrected it by now. I think there is either a design flaw or perhaps a manufacturing build issue (tolerance stack-up problem maybe?). Or maybe a combination of the two. It seems the later 2015 builds either exhibit the problem less frequently or issue is much less severe.

Now that doesn't preclude the possibility that the tranny software engineers may find a valid workaround, but they definitely have not found the secret sauce to resolve all 2015 build issues.
Old 01-29-2016, 09:53 AM
Advanced

Agree that this is not just a software issue or the 6 TSBs (counting the 4 versions of 15-040) would have corrected it by now. I think there is either a design flaw or perhaps a manufacturing build issue (tolerance stack-up problem maybe?). Or maybe a combination of the two. It seems the later 2015 builds either exhibit the problem less frequently or issue is much less severe.

Now that doesn't preclude the possibility that the tranny software engineers may find a valid workaround, but they definitely have not found the secret sauce to resolve all 2015 build issues.
Old 01-29-2016, 10:28 AM
Styl1n

Received 159 Likes on 95 Posts
Originally Posted by rgpolson

Its a design flaw, my new tranny is great no hard shifts smooth as glass and responsive. I assume its the same program as everyone else. everyone I speak to about the new tranny issue says "Damn they didn't correct the transmission after 14 years"
Old 01-29-2016, 04:02 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just finished reading an article in "Automobile Magazine", long term test of Jeep Cherokee. they said the transmission was a deal breaker, poor shifting. Doesn't the Jeep have the same transmission as the 6 cyl. TLX?
We have a very early 2015. my wife loves the car and doesn't even notice the poor shifting. the very few time I drive or ride in the car it drives me crazy.
Old 01-29-2016, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by kuzdu
Its a design flaw, my new tranny is great no hard shifts smooth as glass and responsive. I assume its the same program as everyone else. everyone I speak to about the new tranny issue says "Damn they didn't correct the transmission after 14 years"
The old automatics totally failed. These 2015 ones are just being annoying (some people are past annoyance, but the thing still WORKS, just not well). On my initial test drive of a 2015, it had the issue, really badly actually, and I decided to wait for 2016 and was glad I did as a result. The test car had a massive R->D clunk, a hard 2-3 shift (VERY hard, like you would drop your water bottle hard), and hesitation issues coming out of parking lots. They don't seem to be breaking like the 1999-2003 ones though. This transmission is probably pretty durable (especially since it's the heavy duty version, there is a lighter duty version ZF sells and no manufacturer bought it, lol).
Old 01-29-2016, 07:03 PM
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
The old automatics totally failed. These 2015 ones are just being annoying (some people are past annoyance, but the thing still WORKS, just not well). On my initial test drive of a 2015, it had the issue, really badly actually, and I decided to wait for 2016 and was glad I did as a result. The test car had a massive R->D clunk, a hard 2-3 shift (VERY hard, like you would drop your water bottle hard), and hesitation issues coming out of parking lots. They don't seem to be breaking like the 1999-2003 ones though. This transmission is probably pretty durable (especially since it's the heavy duty version, there is a lighter duty version ZF sells and no manufacturer bought it, lol).
I think it is too early to know if the transmissions will fail. I suspect there will be many failures, since all the clunking cannot be good for long term reliability. If they do fail, hopefully it will be during the warranty period.

I believe Acura has lost a lot of sales and goodwill due to the transmission problems.
Old 01-29-2016, 07:10 PM
Drifting

Received 536 Likes on 302 Posts
Yeah, I understand your angst. I'm not trying to be an Acura apologist, either - I guess I just have a slightly different slant on it. And I was probably a little grumpy when I made that post.
I hear you, and by the same token, I'm not trying to take it out on you. lol. No offense taken.

By the way, the "slow down, then accelerate dead spot" and the "dead spot from a stop" issues have been around for awhile. My '06 TL, '12 TL, and '13 RDX all had it. There were lots of times - like yours - where I would step on it to get out of the way, or across an intersection or whatever, and it was like the car just died for a second, or the accelerator wasn't connected to the engine. Then it would spurt forward.
I may have experienced the same in my '04, but I've never experienced it coming out of R and going into D and gently accelerating until this car. I did experience it slamming down on the gas to attempt a pass in my '04. In about 1.5 years of ownership of the TLX, it's only happened about 3 or 4 and of those times, only 2 times did I feel like I could've had an accident.

I hope you get things worked out.
To be honest, I've given up on it. I just tell people to be wary of the transmission in the TLX and let them feel what I'm talking about if they're in the car. When it comes time to buy my next car, we'll re-visit this. I did buy an extended warranty simply because I was worried about the electronics and tranny in the car. Once that warranty is up, I'll probably sell it. We'll see.
Old 01-30-2016, 01:33 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Do you know that for a fact?

Several manufacturers use that tranny, and every one of them modifyit, either with hardware or software. And in some applications, it works fine.

I could be wrong, but there's no hard evidence the transmission as it comes from ZF is defective. It appears to be a function of what Acura, Jeep and others do with it when they get it.

Originally Posted by vettefool
just finished reading an article in "Automobile Magazine", long term test of Jeep Cherokee. they said the transmission was a deal breaker, poor shifting. Doesn't the Jeep have the same transmission as the 6 cyl. TLX?
We have a very early 2015. my wife loves the car and doesn't even notice the poor shifting. the very few time I drive or ride in the car it drives me crazy.
FCA manufactures the transmission under license from ZF. They modify it to integrate with their 4wd system and they do the software as well.

Acura does not manufacture the transmission, ZF builds it like other parts they buy from suppliers. I don't even think Acura does the software for it. I think ZF does. Since this transmission is a stop-gap for them until thier own in-house 10-speed is ready, it does not make sense for Acura to take on the expense of manufacturing or even modifying it in house.
Old 01-30-2016, 04:00 PM
Old Man Yelling at Clouds

Received 7,362 Likes on 3,906 Posts
I brought up the 2015 vs 2016 before and the service manager response was maybe the 2016 was more refined but doesn't mean the 2015 is bad. It's fine but 2016 is more refined...
He doesn't drive a 2015 I'm guessing. Also I'm sure that's a quote from the Acura PR material they are sending all of them. This is broken -> fixed scenario, not better -> best IMO.
Old 01-30-2016, 04:14 PM
Racer

What's interesting is that with mine, I just started testing Sport + mode the other day after driving mostly in Normal and Sport (and testing Econ), and Sport + seems to have the least hard shifting in low gears. In fact, the 2-3 shift is almost flawless in Sports +, but the shift point is around 3,500 rpm.

Could this be a shift point issue where higher revs and delayed shifts aren't subject to whatever the issue is?

I'm not a mechanic or transmission expert, so I'm just guessing based on my own experiences.
Old 01-30-2016, 04:54 PM
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts
I get smooth shifts if the RPM is either low or high. So it seems the mid-range (1500-2500 RPM) is where the software gets the sync wrong. Unfortunately that is the "normal" RPM for when I am starting up from a stop in traffic. Can't gun it or I will plow into the car in front. Could baby foot it, but maybe the car behind would then plow into me!
The following users liked this post:
Mike_TX (01-31-2016)
Old 01-30-2016, 07:37 PM
Advanced

What's interesting is that with mine, I just started testing Sport + mode the other day after driving mostly in Normal and Sport (and testing Econ), and Sport + seems to have the least hard shifting in low gears. In fact, the 2-3 shift is almost flawless in Sports +, but the shift point is around 3,500 rpm.

Could this be a shift point issue where higher revs and delayed shifts aren't subject to whatever the issue is?

I'm not a mechanic or transmission expert, so I'm just guessing based on my own experiences.
Try using Sport+ mode and the paddle shifters to do the 2-3 upshift between 2500 and 3200 RPM and see how the shift feels. Mine would smooth out some above ~3500 RPM, but not always.
Old 01-31-2016, 09:38 AM
AcurAdmirer

Originally Posted by sbillard
I get smooth shifts if the RPM is either low or high. So it seems the mid-range (1500-2500 RPM) is where the software gets the sync wrong. Unfortunately that is the "normal" RPM for when I am starting up from a stop in traffic. Can't gun it or I will plow into the car in front. Could baby foot it, but maybe the car behind would then plow into me!
BINGO! If I ease along, it will make the 2-3 shift smooth as silk, and if I'm really on it, it will do the same. It's those in-between situations where a lot of my drivng takes place that the 2-3 bump is most obvious.

Glad you posted this, since i havent seen it mentioned before.

Old 01-31-2016, 09:54 AM

I ran some experiments a couple dozen pages back where I did 25 or so stop and goes and forced the shift to happen at different RPMs. My observation was below 1.5-2K and above 3-3.5K the shift is great. The problem is that's a really slow acceleration or a rather brisk acceleration, neither of which happens very often for me. Unfortunately a normal acceleration seems to want to shift right between 2.5-3K where it's the worst.
Old 01-31-2016, 11:50 AM
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 26 Posts
I am in a loaner 2015 V6 Tech for the next few days. I haven't looked at the build date yet, but the transmission definitely has the 2-3 bump. It does not feel as pronounced as my previous transmission, but it certainly still makes me appreciate the replacement. I will be happy to have my car back next week.

I am driving this one in granny ECO mode. As said above, it you are soft on the accelerator, the bump is minimized.
Old 02-01-2016, 08:45 PM
Drifting

This is exactly what I reported to the dealership. As a matter of fact, I said it happens around 2000 RPM in stop and go rush hour traffic. With the latest updates it's much better. As a matter of fact over the past week or two for some odd reason it's gotten a lot better. It's not nearly as good as the 2016 as I drove, but it's bearable to drive in rush-hour traffic again. If I only had to worry about a short trip, I wouldn't have been so ticked, but I have a 60 mile round-trip in stop and go traffic that felt like somebody was clubbing my seat with a bat when the tranny was at its worst. As a matter of fact, in driving it today, I felt the lag in the morning, but didn't feel the 2000'ish RPM bump as hard or frequently. Like I said, it's bearable now. Or it was today, anyway. No telling what tomorrow will bring. I've noticed this in Sport and Normal driving now (the smoother shifts) whereas a week or two ago the bumps were coming back after the latest software updates. I swear this tranny's possessed sometimes.
Old 02-02-2016, 12:50 PM
AcurAdmirer

Originally Posted by Rocketsfan
This is exactly what I reported to the dealership. As a matter of fact, I said it happens around 2000 RPM in stop and go rush hour traffic. With the latest updates it's much better. As a matter of fact over the past week or two for some odd reason it's gotten a lot better. It's not nearly as good as the 2016 as I drove, but it's bearable to drive in rush-hour traffic again. If I only had to worry about a short trip, I wouldn't have been so ticked, but I have a 60 mile round-trip in stop and go traffic that felt like somebody was clubbing my seat with a bat when the tranny was at its worst. As a matter of fact, in driving it today, I felt the lag in the morning, but didn't feel the 2000'ish RPM bump as hard or frequently. Like I said, it's bearable now. Or it was today, anyway. No telling what tomorrow will bring. I've noticed this in Sport and Normal driving now (the smoother shifts) whereas a week or two ago the bumps were coming back after the latest software updates. I swear this tranny's possessed sometimes.
You make an excellent point - people who drive or worse yet commute in a lot of traffic and therefore go through a lot of cycles of stop and go will get more frustrated with the shift bump. It's just a matter of how many times you have to experience it in a given time frame.

My situation isn't as stop and go as yours and many others, and I therefore don't experience the 2-3 shift as often in a given day. That makes me a little more tolerant of it than you guys who get bumped a hundred times a day.

Old 02-02-2016, 07:34 PM
Drifting

You make an excellent point - people who drive or worse yet commute in a lot of traffic and therefore go through a lot of cycles of stop and go will get more frustrated with the shift bump. It's just a matter of how many times you have to experience it in a given time frame.

My situation isn't as stop and go as yours and many others, and I therefore don't experience the 2-3 shift as often in a given day. That makes me a little more tolerant of it than you guys who get bumped a hundred times a day.

Yeah, I'm not that picky a person when it comes to cars, either. I just expect them to be reliable, a bit luxury, and a bit performance. For me to get this annoyed about something, it has to be, well, annoying. lol. What made it worse was how Acura handled the whole situation and how the tranny is such a major part of the car. Maybe they had no other choice than to basically deny it, but I can't stand that.

On the other hand, when I'm cruising or accelerating above 40 mph or so, the car is an awesome drive.
Old 02-02-2016, 09:01 PM

So frustrated with Customer Care.

So I send them some new information about my case and a question about why some are getting transmissions replaced and others not. They say "please call and reference your case number". I think to myself, well good maybe they are reconsidering their answer. So I call - after the obligatory phone tag I get the rep. I say I got a message from Acura to call them. He asks what about? I say Acura asked me to call them. So I go over my question. He basically says nothing has changed about my case and they are not fixing anything. So I ask why did you ask me to call you? He says because if I had a concern they want to hear from me.

Really.

Cliffs:
Me: Hi Acura Customer Care I have a problem.
ACR: We're not fixing your broken transmission.
Me: Hi Acura Customer Care, I have new information.
ACR: Please call us!
Me: OK I've called, what's the news?
ACR: We're still not fixing your broken transmission.

So done with Acura.
Old 02-03-2016, 03:17 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by 1Louder

So I send them some new information about my case and a question about why some are getting transmissions replaced and others not. They say "please call and reference your case number". I think to myself, well good maybe they are reconsidering their answer. So I call - after the obligatory phone tag I get the rep. I say I got a message from Acura to call them. He asks what about? I say Acura asked me to call them. So I go over my question. He basically says nothing has changed about my case and they are not fixing anything. So I ask why did you ask me to call you? He says because if I had a concern they want to hear from me.

Really.

Cliffs:

So done with Acura.

Yeah, this is essentially my experience as well. Going to the dealer tomorrow as asked by ACR, but I'm at the point of just driving the car and seeing if anything gets worse. Then if they don't replace the tranny I'll take them to court or see about lemon law proceedings through arbitration.

What's still very curious to me are the differences in performance based on temperature, IDS setting, build of software, and shift points. What's also interesting is that drivers of Jeeps, Chryslers, and Land Rovers with this same transmission report issues 100% solved via software updates or in some cases no change and only replacement helped. The difference seems to be that those other manufacturers aren't fluffing off the issue or trying to say it's "normal" the way Acura has.

I would love for someone at ZF to post anonymously what the hell is the deal with this transmission.
Old 02-03-2016, 04:05 PM

^ Yeah I think I'm done with the fight. I've spent too much energy on it as it is. I will continue to make good on my promise to make sure people know how Acura is treating it's loyal customers. For now, I'm just going to explore options to get out of the car and move on. Might take me another year until I can get out from under it on the lease. The depreciation on this car seems abnormal. All the more reason I'm glad I leased it.
Old 02-03-2016, 05:28 PM
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Really.

Cliffs:

So done with Acura.
Old 02-03-2016, 05:31 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
1Louder...I wish you luck. It is unfortunate that they had to piss people off that badly and turn many people away from the brand but their loss. I had purchased several Acuras and when our ILX lease is over, that will be it for us too.
Old 02-05-2016, 10:17 AM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

Received 599 Likes on 454 Posts
^ Yeah I think I'm done with the fight. I've spent too much energy on it as it is. I will continue to make good on my promise to make sure people know how Acura is treating it's loyal customers. For now, I'm just going to explore options to get out of the car and move on. Might take me another year until I can get out from under it on the lease. The depreciation on this car seems abnormal. All the more reason I'm glad I leased it.
If you you want to get out instead of waiting a year have Carmax appraise it. I haven't personally used them, and like with most things I have heard positives and negatives about them.

But someone I know sold his leased GM vehicle to them right around a year into his 36 month lease and walked away relatively unscathed. When all was said and done I think he took a $500 hit which was worth it to him so he could walk away.

Quick Reply: 9AT Hard Shift 1-2 and 2-3