9AT Hard Shift 1-2 and 2-3

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2016, 02:58 PM
Old Man Yelling at Clouds

Received 7,362 Likes on 3,906 Posts
Originally Posted by CaliAtenza
I had a Lexus ES350 as a rental the other day; I could not wait to get back into my TLX, slightly rough transmission and all.
I actually drove an ES350 and chose the TLX over it. I wasn't all that impressed with it. I'm thinking my next car will be a crossover, so I was more interested in the NX 300h or 200t. I'll also look at the Audi Q5 I think. I haven't driven them yet however. I did drive a 2016 RDX and really liked it, but I'm not ready to reward Acura with any more of my business.
Old 01-16-2016, 09:26 PM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by kchemist
What about 2016 does it also has the same issue
Downshift issue in sport+ is still there in the 2016.
Old 01-17-2016, 01:53 AM
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by 1Louder
I actually drove an ES350 and chose the TLX over it. I wasn't all that impressed with it. I'm thinking my next car will be a crossover, so I was more interested in the NX 300h or 200t. I'll also look at the Audi Q5 I think. I haven't driven them yet however. I did drive a 2016 RDX and really liked it, but I'm not ready to reward Acura with any more of my business.
The ES350 is just a warmed over Camry/Avalon. Its totally blah.
The following 2 users liked this post by CaliAtenza:
1Louder (01-17-2016), KeithL (01-17-2016)
Old 01-17-2016, 09:26 AM
CPR
Burning Brakes

Received 277 Likes on 144 Posts
BTW:without making excuses, it seems that the 9 speed problems seem to disappear, after the engine is FULLY WARMED UP! That doesn't mean it's right; it only means that I forget about the 2-3, & 3-4 shift irregularities, after the engine reaches normal operating temperature. Thoughts?
Old 01-17-2016, 10:16 AM

^ That's not the case for me. I get the issue at all temps.

I'm getting closer and closer every day to making a change. I can't drive the car anymore without thinking about it.
Old 01-17-2016, 01:47 PM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by rgpolson
Downshift issue in sport+ is still there in the 2016.
I also have a 2016.

That's not a bug. Acura for some reason purposely programmed the transmission to AGGRESSIVELY downshift in Sport+ as you press the brakes. If I'm driving in Sport+, I prefer to drive with the paddles 100% of the time. Otherwise I drive in Sport, not Sport+, because Sport+ is very aggressive. I can see why they would do it, because if you're approaching a ramp you would want to be a in a lower gear to power through the corner (especially with SH-AWD models). It actually works really well for that (approaching an on or off ramp - or for carving up a twisty road where you have to brake before corners).

The only way you should ever be using Sport+ for commuting is if you control the transmission through the paddle shifters. Sport+ is what I would consider wild and unreasonable during a commute.
The following users liked this post:
mani (01-22-2016)
Old 01-17-2016, 05:09 PM
2015 TLX SH-AWD Elite BWP

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by youngTL
I also have a 2016.

That's not a bug. Acura for some reason purposely programmed the transmission to AGGRESSIVELY downshift in Sport+ as you press the brakes. If I'm driving in Sport+, I prefer to drive with the paddles 100% of the time. Otherwise I drive in Sport, not Sport+, because Sport+ is very aggressive. I can see why they would do it, because if you're approaching a ramp you would want to be a in a lower gear to power through the corner (especially with SH-AWD models). It actually works really well for that (approaching an on or off ramp - or for carving up a twisty road where you have to brake before corners).

The only way you should ever be using Sport+ for commuting is if you control the transmission through the paddle shifters. Sport+ is what I would consider wild and unreasonable during a commute.

I drove on Sport+ all the time ! . I cannot stand the other modes, they are too sluggish for me . While I like the automatic downshift , the only dislike I have is the surge forward close to permanent stop.
While I learn to deal with the surge now , the harsh 2-3 and hesitations are my big "beef" with this transmission.
Today I went to the Montreal auto show and it happened to speak with an Acura corporate rep for Eastern Canada to whom I mentioned the issues and same corporate BS was answering me , but he admitted that his TLX does the 2-3 harsh change (sometimes , he said) . I ask him why US gets so many updates and the Canadians not too many. The BS regulations differences will be reasons. I asked if 2016 has some modifications to the ZF and he wasn't aware.
He suggest to work with the dealer to solve the issues .
Old 01-17-2016, 07:35 PM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by Momyc
I drove on Sport+ all the time ! . I cannot stand the other modes, they are too sluggish for me . While I like the automatic downshift , the only dislike I have is the surge forward close to permanent stop.
While I learn to deal with the surge now , the harsh 2-3 and hesitations are my big "beef" with this transmission.
Today I went to the Montreal auto show and it happened to speak with an Acura corporate rep for Eastern Canada to whom I mentioned the issues and same corporate BS was answering me , but he admitted that his TLX does the 2-3 harsh change (sometimes , he said) . I ask him why US gets so many updates and the Canadians not too many. The BS regulations differences will be reasons. I asked if 2016 has some modifications to the ZF and he wasn't aware.
If you had a 2016 transmission, the harsh 2-3 shift wouldn't be perceptible at all. It feels like any other shift. They are giving you a line of BS saying they're not aware. They damn well know.
Old 01-17-2016, 07:48 PM
2015 TLX SH-AWD Elite BWP

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts
If you had a 2016 transmission, the harsh 2-3 shift wouldn't be perceptible at all. It feels like any other shift. They are giving you a line of BS saying they're not aware. They damn well know.
Yes , I know is BS. Mine is built 01/15 . Luckily (I had a strong filling about ZF) I leased for 3 years and one year is almost gone.
I'm fed up and I wouldn't waste my energy over this. I'll see in 2 years were I'm heading for a new car , but probably not Acura , if nothing changes .
Old 01-17-2016, 08:12 PM
Advanced

I also have a 2016.

True, not a bug, but an idiotic design choice. I think they were going for "manual-like" braking downshift. Problem is with a manual you know exactly when the downshift is coming and can control the re-engagement of the clutch.

Apparently the software designers seem to have never driven a car (or at least this car) in their lives.

Would sure like to spend a couple of hours "chatting" with the software designers. If Acura had half a brain they would allow some interactions between real customers and the software design engineers.
Old 01-17-2016, 08:16 PM
Advanced

^ That's not the case for me. I get the issue at all temps.

I'm getting closer and closer every day to making a change. I can't drive the car anymore without thinking about it.
I was in the same place. I just couldn't stand getting into the car every morning and dealing with the issue. Ended up trading for a 2016 TLX. Was sad to give Acura any more of my hard-earned cash, but between $2k lower trade value anywhere else and staring at $50k+ for a BMW/Lexus/Cadillac with decent feature set I caved.

99% probability that after 10 Honda motor products this will be my last.
Old 01-17-2016, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by rgpolson
I was in the same place. I just couldn't stand getting into the car every morning and dealing with the issue. Ended up trading for a 2016 TLX. Was sad to give Acura any more of my hard-earned cash, but between $2k lower trade value anywhere else and staring at $50k+ for a BMW/Lexus/Cadillac with decent feature set I caved.

99% probability that after 10 Honda motor products this will be my last.
I think the hard reality for me will be similar. I tried to trade into an RDX already and the numbers didn't work out very well. I don't expect another brand to be better, and more likely worse.

I was explaining to my wife how I was feeling about the car and she said, "of course you feel that way - it's like you're driving around in a broken car." Couldn't have said it any better.
Stew4HD (01-18-2016)
Old 01-18-2016, 05:47 PM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
I've made my peace with this 9AT. Had the car in 3 times and drove around with service managers and senior techs. All acknowledge the hard shift pre-service. Had two software updates (Canadian) and still no resolution, all they can say is that this is how the transmission works.

Hard shift still there? - Check!

I now just drive the car like I stole it, waiting for the day to return this piece of poo lease. Never will I return to Acura again. *off chance I win the lotto, I'll definitely pick up the NSX though...
Old 01-18-2016, 06:38 PM
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Momyc
The ironic thing is that after my software update and idle-relearn, Normal mode became more aggressive. So much so that I just leave it in Normal for day to day. I only turn on Sport if I want to take a onramp or off ramp more spiritedly.
Old 01-18-2016, 06:42 PM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I had a meeting with the Service Manager and the General Manager at my dealership back in middle of December about this issue. At the end of the day, they agreed to contact Honda Canada to have a tech come in and test drive the vehicle with me. I sent an email to the General Manager on Sunday to follow up as I have not heard anything from them and it's been over a month. Today I got a call from an ACR telling me that as per the DSM/Tech line, I have to keep monitoring to see if the problem gets worst and there's nothing they can do right now because it's not a safety issue. IF it gets worst then I can call them again and they'll look at my car. I almost lost it. I tried to explain how ridiculously that sounds. Just because the problem does not get worst does not mean there's no problem. So if it's not safety critical and doesn't get worst then it's okay to leave it? Basically they sold me a faulty car and is refusing to do anything to fix it because it didn't get worst. I told the ACR if that's the case, I'm telling you the problem feels slightly worst then before. So now the ACR is going to contact my dealership and will probably have me bring the car in AGAIN for them to look at. He said if the dealership finds the issue to be the same as before, then they'll just give the car back and have you keep monitoring.

I cannot believe this is even happening. I'm so tired and frustrated with this whole ordeal. I about to just contact my local news and tell them this whole fiasco.
Old 01-18-2016, 06:51 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
^^ I would send them an invoice for your time....This is just plan ridiculous the amount of time that they are making you waste chasing this issue.

I am sitting and so furious to see the BS that Acura is making its customers go through...That being said, I am delighted to see how many people are now saying THIS IS MY LAST ACURA PRODUCT. I sure hope the guys at headquarters read these post and realize how badly they have fucked up this brand....It is almost being laughable to see how pathetic this "once luxury brand" has sunk....
Old 01-19-2016, 07:21 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 400 Likes on 282 Posts
That's the way to fan the flames Weather. Now maybe you can dump some cold showers on it and show that you are truly the master of weather.
weather (01-19-2016)
Old 01-19-2016, 07:38 AM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

Received 599 Likes on 454 Posts
Originally Posted by weather
^^ I would send them an invoice for your time....This is just plan ridiculous the amount of time that they are making you waste chasing this issue.

I am sitting and so furious to see the BS that Acura is making its customers go through...That being said, I am delighted to see how many people are now saying THIS IS MY LAST ACURA PRODUCT. I sure hope the guys at headquarters read these post and realize how badly they have fucked up this brand....It is almost being laughable to see how pathetic this "once luxury brand" has sunk....
I agree, and like you I don't even have a TLX, but I am really angry at Acura for treating their customers the way they are. Over the past year and a half Acura has lost me on potential sales twice.

The first time was back in Sept 2014 after an extended test drive with an MDX left me and my wife very disappointed. And more recently with a TLX.

I have had Acura's since late 2003. A 2004 and then 2008 MDX, and the 2011 TL. I can't say enough good things about those vehicles. I have always been an Acura fan and really wanted to give them my business. When my 2011 TL came off lease two years ago my oldest son bought it off lease, he had been using it more than me anyway and loved it.

Three months ago he decided he wanted a new car either an IS350 F-Sport, Q50S or TLX. So we took an extended test drive in the TLX. There is no doubt the TLX is much more refined than the 4G (as it should be). It is much quieter and rode smoother. But as many members here have reported the trans shifting was a joke.

Even though we were very aware of the trans issues, for some reason, and I don't know why, we weren't expecting to feel it on the test drive. We drove it in all modes but mostly in sport because that is the mode that it would probably spend 90% of it's time. So once again I came away from an Acura test drive very disappointed.

So he bought a 2015 Q50S and hasn't looked back. There was no way I was letting his 26K mile 4G go anywhere, so I bought it back from him and gave it to my middle son, and traded his 11 Accord.

We were aware of some of the issues Infiniti had with early 2014's Q's and after doing some research found that most of the issues were resolved in mid 2014 production and with software updates for cars on the road. The 2015's were mostly trouble free and so far 2,000 miles and no issues, I guess time will time.

I sincerely hope that Acura gets this issue worked out for all you TLX owners. Good Luck!

Sorry for the long post
weather (01-19-2016)
Old 01-19-2016, 11:19 AM
Instructor

Like I said before, this is my first and will be my last Acura. I just cannot believe how they are responding to this issue. Those of us in Canada seem to have it worst probably due to our regulations here. What surprised me is that the General Manager at the meeting told me he'd get back to me and then a month later nothing and all sudden the same ACR I've spoken to in the past calls me and tells me this whole load of BS. Do they not realize how stupid it sounds? If I didn't have to take such a big financial hit by trading the car in, I would have done so in a heart beat.
Old 01-19-2016, 03:26 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
I that this is my last Acura on Acura's FB page. The response was that they'd forward that post to ACR.. lol
Old 01-19-2016, 07:14 PM
Drifting

Received 536 Likes on 302 Posts
Originally Posted by Stew4HD
Now you are where I was near the end of my rope. ACR was pointing at my service dept, my service dept was pointing to ACR... sigh
Originally Posted by jeich182
Ahhh yes, the dealer saying it's and ACR saying it's the dealer. I started going down this road and quickly read the tea leaves.
I pursued it a little bit further with the dealer ("normal operation at this time" before I informed them about the existence of a TSB which didn't fix it anyway). It's not worth feeling like I'm on trial, guilty until proven innocent, when it comes to the burden of demonstrating something is not right when I take my car to the dealer. So I gave up because it's literally stressful and that's not something Acura nor my dealer should be proud of given my business and the business I've referred over the years.
The above responses pretty much is where I'm at right now. The dealership saying it's "ACURA" and they can't do anything.... forwarding me to the client care #. Call them and they act understanding. The girl even said the software fixes are an admission there was something wrong. Then she forwarded me the next day to another customer care person who basically said the district manager guy or whatever drove with the dealership's tech or service manager and said it was "normal" so there are no more fixes available. So one sends me to the other. The other says the first says it's normal, so they have to go with the technical guys. Gotta love this game.

There is a business separation between Acura corporate and privately owned dealerships. They do operate as separate businesses. But you sound like at the same spot I was back in December - this fix requires a new transmission, and a new transmission requires approval from Acura. It's not a decision the dealership can make by themselves - at least for this issue.
While this is true, as a consumer, you don't want to go to an Acura dealership and be told it's ACURA that's the problem. I bought an Acura. Whether there's a business split between them is not my concern. My concern is that Acura (under whatever guise) should fix the problem. But, of course, instead of that, Acura the dealership and Acura the corporate have their consumers running around like hamsters on a wheel that goes nowhere while they point at each other.
Old 01-19-2016, 07:21 PM
Drifting

Received 536 Likes on 302 Posts
Originally Posted by CPR
BTW:without making excuses, it seems that the 9 speed problems seem to disappear, after the engine is FULLY WARMED UP! That doesn't mean it's right; it only means that I forget about the 2-3, & 3-4 shift irregularities, after the engine reaches normal operating temperature. Thoughts?
Disagree. With the most recent software updates, there is a sluggishness that is there in the morning. Almost like I need to press the gas pedal more than should be necessary sometimes. That goes away as I drive (I think). But the parachute effect, slight bump during shifting, and hesitation sometimes is still there. It's a lot better than it was initially before the fixes or even after TSB 38, but nothing like how a good transmission should shift. This, despite Acura claiming it's "normal". Keep producing those fixes labeled "Firm 2nd to 3rd Gear Upshifts Under Certain Driving Conditions" for some of our "normal" transmissions, Acura. We could use it.
Old 01-19-2016, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by Stew4HD
I that this is my last Acura on Acura's FB page. The response was that they'd forward that post to ACR.. lol
Just to see what would happen, I sent ACR a link to this thread and pointed out the 5-6 posts where people got new transmissions and asked them why them and not me for the same issue. In true ACR form:

Thank you for providing this additional communication. Upon further research, our records indicate your concern has been documented and thoroughly reviewed by Client Relations team. This correspondence will be added to your file.
Of course, with an offer to call my district case manager if I had any additional questions.

"Screw you" would have been more accurate and to the point.
Old 01-19-2016, 10:27 PM
Instructor

Just to see what would happen, I sent ACR a link to this thread and pointed out the 5-6 posts where people got new transmissions and asked them why them and not me for the same issue. In true ACR form:

Of course, with an offer to call my district case manager if I had any additional questions.

"Screw you" would have been more accurate and to the point.
Is there a way to find out who my district case manager is or if I even have one? I would love an explanation how they can tell me they won't look at my car because the problem didn't get worst with a straight face.
Old 01-20-2016, 12:07 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Acura isn't going to get this message until someone takes their 2015 TLX with their faulty transmission... parks it in front of Acura headquarters in Torrance, and burns it to the ground. Maybe a burning Acura in front of Acura HQ will make an impact. That would make quite a story on the evening news.
Old 01-20-2016, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by Vlke
Is there a way to find out who my district case manager is or if I even have one? I would love an explanation how they can tell me they won't look at my car because the problem didn't get worst with a straight face.
Near as I can tell, you get one assigned once you e-mail Acura customer care. My reply came with name and a phone number for me to contact. But it's the same rep I've been dealing with since the summer. He knows How I feel.
Old 01-20-2016, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by Rocket_man
Acura isn't going to get this message until someone takes their 2015 TLX with their faulty transmission... parks it in front of Acura headquarters in Torrance, and burns it to the ground. Maybe a burning Acura in front of Acura HQ will make an impact. That would make quite a story on the evening news.
All you'll likely get is an e-mail saying "We've noted your burning car in your file. If you have any additional questions, please contact your customer care representative."
The following 4 users liked this post by 1Louder:
CheeseyPoofs McNut (01-21-2016), jeich182 (01-22-2016), Rocket_man (01-20-2016), weather (01-20-2016)
Old 01-20-2016, 08:36 AM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

Received 599 Likes on 454 Posts
All you'll likely get is an e-mail saying "We've noted your burning car in your file. If you have any additional questions, Or your problem gets worse please contact your customer care representative."
I hope you don't mind but I corrected your post...
The following 2 users liked this post by JT4:
1Louder (01-20-2016), 2011TL (01-20-2016)
Old 01-20-2016, 01:46 PM
Suzuka Master

All you'll likely get is an e-mail saying "We've noted your burning car in your file. If you have any additional questions, please contact your customer care representative."
That was funny!
Old 01-20-2016, 03:48 PM
Styl1n

Received 159 Likes on 95 Posts
just got an update from the dealer, transmission is being installed today. lets see how this goes and performs after.
Old 01-20-2016, 08:46 PM

I kid you not, this arrived in the mail today.

I have some suggestions on how to reword this...

Old 01-20-2016, 09:37 PM
Advanced

I kid you not, this arrived in the mail today.

I have some suggestions on how to reword this...

I got mine in the mail yesterday for my 2015 that I no longer own. I think I am going to write some choice words on it and mail it back to them.

It's unbelievable that a company of Honda's purported reputation could be so stupid.
Old 01-20-2016, 10:00 PM

You just gave me an idea.
Old 01-21-2016, 09:09 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have driven now 3 2015 TLX V6 SH-AWDs (lots of service work), and all of them have the hard shift problem. I truly hate this transmission and would not buy the car because of this. The 4 cylinder transmission is far better.
Old 01-21-2016, 10:58 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by 4GIRLS
I have driven now 3 2015 TLX V6 SH-AWDs (lots of service work), and all of them have the hard shift problem. I truly hate this transmission and would not buy the car because of this. The 4 cylinder transmission is far better.
If they were loaners they were probably older builds. Next time ask for a 2016 and see if it is the same.
Old 01-22-2016, 09:50 AM
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts
ACR called and left a vmail saying they have set up an appointment for Monday to drop my car off at my dealership for some Districts Area Manager to test drive the car. As I posted earlier, I had clearly told them that they can only keep me as a loyal customer if they replace the transmission with a 0 fault one. lets see where this goes.
Old 01-22-2016, 10:24 AM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Placed my order today for 2017 Audi A4. It's a shame. I've had the TL, RL, two MDXs and now the TLX but have given up on receiving resolution to the shift issue. I know I'll get nailed on the resale or trade-in, but time to move on.
Old 01-22-2016, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by mani
ACR called and left a vmail saying they have set up an appointment for Monday to drop my car off at my dealership for some Districts Area Manager to test drive the car. As I posted earlier, I had clearly told them that they can only keep me as a loyal customer if they replace the transmission with a 0 fault one. lets see where this goes.
I told them over the phone and in a letter I would not buy Acura again (ever) if they did not make this right. They basically said, "OK then", and "noted my concern". Retaining loyal customers seems to be pretty low on Acura's priority list these days.
Old 01-22-2016, 04:45 PM
Suzuka Master

Isbuffs...Congrats for your new Audi. At one point, I would have said, why buy an Audi over a reliable Acura.....Not anymore! I love Audi's styling so congrats!

Post pics when you get a chance.
Old 01-22-2016, 05:21 PM
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts
I agree with Weather - from what I've read, the 2017 A4 is a winner! Seems like a good choice since the Acura didn't work out.

Quick Reply: 9AT Hard Shift 1-2 and 2-3