9AT Hard Shift 1-2 and 2-3

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2015, 12:30 AM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm going to pursue this as far as I can because I actually brought the car instead of leasing and I have huge regrets doing so. It's ridiculous how they are responding to this issue. This was my first Acura and it will be my last if there's no positive resolution.
Old 12-20-2015, 04:42 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
I think they are in denial about the tranny. I also believe they are kind of stuck because replacing thousands of trannys will hurt them. Let's hope they get their own 10 speed going soon enough. They need to put the RLX 7 speed in at MMC.
Old 12-21-2015, 09:47 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey guys, new here. I am somewhat interested in the TLX due to the quiet ride and see quite a few 2015 certified 6 cylinder models with low miles for a nice discount. Based on the issues many are having with the 9 speed, would you guys recommend staying away?

I wish the accord had the quiet ride of the TLX or the TLX had the 6-speed of the accord so I wouldn't even have to ask this question. There is no perfect car I guess.
Old 12-21-2015, 10:44 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by eeman
Hey guys, new here. I am somewhat interested in the TLX due to the quiet ride and see quite a few 2015 certified 6 cylinder models with low miles for a nice discount. Based on the issues many are having with the 9 speed, would you guys recommend staying away?

I wish the accord had the quiet ride of the TLX or the TLX had the 6-speed of the accord so I wouldn't even have to ask this question. There is no perfect car I guess.
Go test drive one or 2, pay attention to how the car shifts in normal acceleration, then try punching it while driving t around 20-30 to see if the car hesitates. It seems a lot of folks have no issues at all with the car.

I find it odd that there would be that many CPOs of the TLX though.
Old 12-21-2015, 10:53 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So I got my car back on Saturday, it was in for an A1 service (which is a rip off @ $90 after coupon) and the 2-3 upshift issue. Another Service Rep called me because my Service Rep wasn't even in.. I looked at the work order and they didn't do any work regarding the transmission. The Tech "test drove" the car under "several different conditions" and determined that there was "nothing wrong" and the PCM was "up to date". I asked the Service Rep who called me, how is my PCM up to date when the last update they did was Rev 2. He said, sorry since I'm not your rep I don't know anything about your car. I would expect my Service Rep to give me a call today, but at this point, I'm done with all this bs. It is a waste of time and effort. Just going to live with it until I can trade it in for something else. This is a great car, I just need to learn how to not mind the 2-3 upshift jolt and the slow USB HDD loads

to eeman, I would suggest a long test drive that is stop and go and make sure you try all IDS modes, including Sport+ using the paddle shifters. Be sure to make the transmission change gears around 3000 rpm. No need to drive it fast or aggressively, just drive it easy and steady. Good Luck!
Old 12-21-2015, 10:56 AM
Old Man Yelling at Clouds

Received 7,362 Likes on 3,906 Posts

I agree with Stew4HD that the answer to your question is take a very long, thoughtful test drive and really focus on the behavior of the transmission to see if it's something you can live with. Don't just go out for 5 min - I'd go so far as to recommend you drive your commuting route and spend some time on the highway.

I'd recommend putting it into sport+ mode and manually shift 1-2-3-4 a few times. If the shifts are smooth then one problem is solved. The 2-3 shift in the earlier builds hesitates and lands hard (by comparison). The shift isn't that hard when in econ/normal/sport, but sport+ will give you an idea what to look for. See how much you notice it in the other modes. I don't know what month they may have made a switch however.

Second is spend some time on the highway and experience the behavior when you floor it, need a passing gear, etc.

Not all V6 TLX's are created equal and not all driver's expectations are created equal, so you may very well find yourself with a good find. But drive it as much as you can under a variety of conditions to make sure. For many of us, these issues didn't really become apparent until we drove the car for a while.

Do NOT let a salesman dismiss anything you are feeling as "normal" or promise that a fix is out there. That's a lie. If the car doesn't feel right to you, walk away from it and try another. Also ask the salesman to show you where you can find the manufacturing date. The later the build the better chance some of these issues might be better. Oct 14 - Feb 15 builds seem to have shifting issues that Acura refuses to address, but it would seem the cars they are selling now have at least fixed the 2-3 shift issue.

Last edited by 1Louder; 12-21-2015 at 11:02 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Stew4HD (12-21-2015)
Old 12-21-2015, 01:28 PM
Suzuka Master

I would look at build date as the early cars had the most issues with tranny, then I would see about detailed service record and carfax as many of the services may be registered there.
Old 12-21-2015, 03:58 PM
Styl1n

Received 159 Likes on 95 Posts
Maybe someone can answer this I have a 1/14 build date loaner v6 and the shifts are buttery smooth non existent. I just started driving it around today and noticed it. Lol I don't know what to say anymore I just want my car to work. Maybe the zf are ok and a large amount of the tranny's are defective?
Old 12-21-2015, 04:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 164 Likes on 115 Posts
Originally Posted by kuzdu
Maybe someone can answer this I have a 1/14 build date loaner v6 and the shifts are buttery smooth non existent. I just started driving it around today and noticed it. Lol I don't know what to say anymore I just want my car to work. Maybe the zf are ok and a large amount of the tranny's are defective?
Did you mean build date of 1/15? TLX production began 8/14 i believe.
Old 12-21-2015, 05:40 PM
Styl1n

Originally Posted by mondster
Did you mean build date of 1/15? TLX production began 8/14 i believe.
Sorry my car is 1/15

This loaner car is 9/14 and it runs great sooo smoooooth can't feel any shifts I'm puzzled. Maybe some tranny's and computers were good
Old 12-21-2015, 06:52 PM
Drifting

Received 536 Likes on 302 Posts

If I knew what I know now about the transmission, I wouldn't buy the car, and I definitely wouldn't buy it used. I bought it back in August 2014, btw.

Look through this thread and you'll see how varied people's responses are to how the transmission shifts. You'll also see some people say the transmission shifts great... then a few days to a couple of weeks later, it's back to shifting poorly again. So, now if you get in the car and do a test drive, it may feel great, but 2 weeks later you'll want to set the thing on fire. lol.

I hate to disagree with my "friends-in-misery" in this thread, but I would stay away no matter how it drives on a test drive ...
Old 12-21-2015, 06:57 PM
Drifting

Who knows. Whatever the reason, Acura can't be consistent with a fix. It makes me wonder if the issue with the transmission is in some cars, but not in others, or maybe some techs/service depts. can apply the fix correctly and others can't. The 2016 I drove the other day as a loaner drove damn-near perfectly, but then who knows - maybe a month or two from now, that one will drive like crap, too. No telling.
Old 12-21-2015, 08:05 PM
Styl1n

Originally Posted by Rocketsfan
Who knows. Whatever the reason, Acura can't be consistent with a fix. It makes me wonder if the issue with the transmission is in some cars, but not in others, or maybe some techs/service depts. can apply the fix correctly and others can't. The 2016 I drove the other day as a loaner drove damn-near perfectly, but then who knows - maybe a month or two from now, that one will drive like crap, too. No telling.
I hear you all I want is a smooth shifting great acceleration car. The build I have is the advanced one and I can't believe the tranny it shifts like my tsx quick and smooth nothing rough and in sport plus forget it I never felt it so smooth yet. Maybe it is programming or the Pcm that is faulty I don't know. If it was an easy fix we would not have this thread lol I think it's the internals in some tranny's that are bad, all Pcm software should be the same.
This was a second month build car and mine was a 1/15 build, who knows this car could of had its tranny replaced.
The dealer better make my car work like this or else they will keep it until they do or buy me out into a 2016
Old 12-22-2015, 07:07 AM
Suzuka Master

Mine was made worse by trying to fix it. The only issue I really had with mine was the funky near stop and then acceleration hesitation.. then they applied the TSBs.. and it went downhill from there
Old 12-22-2015, 07:53 PM

Sorry my car is 1/15

This loaner car is 9/14 and it runs great sooo smoooooth can't feel any shifts I'm puzzled. Maybe some tranny's and computers were good
If I knew what I know now about the transmission, I wouldn't buy the car, and I definitely wouldn't buy it used. I bought it back in August 2014, btw.

Look through this thread and you'll see how varied people's responses are to how the transmission shifts. You'll also see some people say the transmission shifts great... then a few days to a couple of weeks later, it's back to shifting poorly again. So, now if you get in the car and do a test drive, it may feel great, but 2 weeks later you'll want to set the thing on fire. lol.

I hate to disagree with my "friends-in-misery" in this thread, but I would stay away no matter how it drives on a test drive ...
Rocketsfan makes a good point. I always have a hard time making recommendations because cars are a very subjective item. But maybe the thing I should be saying is what you said - if I could go back and do it all again knowing what I know now, there is no way I'd pick this car.

Maybe it's the fact the transmission tries to "learn" that makes it change behavior. Funny how after an idle relearn things seem to be fine, then get worse as you drive it. Although I'll say after my second relearn it only lasted a day before I was back - worse than before I brought it in. This whole learning thing may be the aspect that makes the transmission unpredictable (a bad transmission that tries to learn just becomes worse IMO).

But having said all that, just another reason why I would have avoided this car. If anyone had their mind set on a TLX, hold out for a 2016 and test drive the heck out of it. Or just get something else. For that kind of money there are a lot of very good choices who's transmissions actually work.

Last edited by 1Louder; 12-22-2015 at 07:55 PM.
Old 12-23-2015, 12:02 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 562 Likes on 358 Posts
Originally Posted by 1Louder

But having said all that, just another reason why I would have avoided this car. If anyone had their mind set on a TLX, hold out for a 2016 and test drive the heck out of it. Or just get something else. For that kind of money there are a lot of very good choices who's transmissions actually work.
This thread is exactly the reason I won't get one. I have been following it closely hoping that Acura would fix the problem. I really hope they figure something out for everyone that is having the issue. I hope the 2016 is the solution and look forward to hearing from more members when they start logging the miles.
weather (12-23-2015)
Old 12-23-2015, 08:37 AM
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 72 Posts
Looks like there is a new MDX 9AT Software Update:

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-mdx-.../#post15639835

Maybe something for TLX soon?
Maklbc (12-23-2015)
Old 12-23-2015, 09:11 AM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
KeithL, My date is 7/14 and the 2-3 is a little rough but is actually better in Sport+. Since some people have had more problems after updates I'm going to keep quiet unless it gets worse. Overall love the car.
Old 12-23-2015, 09:12 AM
10th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
My friend that is a service advisor for Goodson Acura told me that regional is aware of the issues and is working hard on a new update that should fix the issue. He said it should be release early next year. He also has a TLX and is pressing hard for this.
The following 2 users liked this post by Rnguyen0127:
Maklbc (12-23-2015), sillyjav (12-23-2015)
Old 12-23-2015, 09:30 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by blacktsxwagon
Looks like there is a new MDX 9AT Software Update:

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-mdx-.../#post15639835

Maybe something for TLX soon?
So the mdx gets the fix on the parachute feel before the tlx? Good job acura.
Old 12-23-2015, 09:31 AM
Suzuka Master

Sheesh, that will be about a year and a half of issues for some folks. I don't regret getting rid of mine at all.
Old 12-23-2015, 10:27 AM
Styl1n

that sounds like a fix for us
Old 12-23-2015, 12:43 PM
Burning Brakes

2 of the 4 worst cars of 2015 tested by consumer reports have the zf9 (chrysler 200 and landrover discovery). Surprised the tlx didnt join the list. Lol
Old 12-23-2015, 12:43 PM
Burning Brakes

that sounds like a fix for us
Or maybe the tlx's version of the tranny is hopeless and cant be fixed.
Old 12-23-2015, 12:44 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 160 Posts
Originally Posted by Curious3GTL
This thread is exactly the reason I won't get one. I have been following it closely hoping that Acura would fix the problem. I really hope they figure something out for everyone that is having the issue. I hope the 2016 is the solution and look forward to hearing from more members when they start logging the miles.
Same here. Also curious about what is up with the vibration issue that some are feeling.
Old 12-23-2015, 12:48 PM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Rnguyen0127
My friend that is a service advisor for Goodson Acura told me that regional is aware of the issues and is working hard on a new update that should fix the issue. He said it should be release early next year. He also has a TLX and is pressing hard for this.
Is the future update for 6 or the I4 as well?
Old 12-23-2015, 02:28 PM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Rnguyen0127
At least they acknowledge the issue. In Canada all we get is "Its working as normal"
Old 12-23-2015, 03:03 PM

Surprised that the MDX is getting a fix - I drove a 15 Tech as a service loaner for my last service call - the shifting was very adequate. I'm curious what needed fixing.
Old 12-23-2015, 03:30 PM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
Or maybe the tlx's version of the tranny is hopeless and cant be fixed.
The 2016 is working just fine. I'll keep you guys updated as I log more km's (pics etc to come later, lol). Haven't seen another 2016 owner report issues. The only thing is that the 9->4 kickdown takes a little over 1 full second (my best guess so far is around 1.2?), but that's expected given the hardware design of the transmission changing the state of 2 dog clutches simultaneously (and doesn't bother me).

It doesn't have the 2->3 shift bump, the delay from R->D, or the hesitation coming out of a parking lot like the 2015 I first tested did. Nor does it have any surging issues. All that is gone.

Those of you with a 2015 problematic transmission (or is it the TCM itself?) should really push for Acura to replace it with the 2016 variant, because SOMETHING is different and the car is an absolute pleasure to drive. They need to do right by you guys who have a faulty transmission. If they try and claim that it's working normally, a back-to-back ride in a 2016 will prove otherwise.
Old 12-23-2015, 04:16 PM
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 55 Posts
After watching this thread, I think I shall wait for Version 5.0 of the TCM update for my MDX lol
Old 12-23-2015, 05:03 PM
10th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Biggie_B
Is the future update for 6 or the I4 as well?
I'm not sure it's for both 6 and 4. I have a V6 and so does my friend. Hope both gets fixed overall. Already talk to my lady and we both decided if this doesn't get fix in a month or two were going to trade it in for the new Lexus RX.
Old 12-23-2015, 10:38 PM
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by 1Louder
Surprised that the MDX is getting a fix - I drove a 15 Tech as a service loaner for my last service call - the shifting was very adequate. I'm curious what needed fixing.
The 2015 MDX has the tried and true 6 speed, not the new and (un)improved ZF 9 speed.
Old 12-24-2015, 07:59 AM
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts
Brought my 15 TLX SH-AWD in to the dealer for the software update as recommended by the service advisor. I figure most of the service advisors will be frank with you if you approach them properly, so I just casually mentioned that I'm starting to think I should have bought a 2016 model. I wanted to see his reaction which was a pretty quick and firm...."wouldn't matter."

He said that the same issues are happening with the 2016's as well and Acura and the tranny manufacturer are continuing to work on software updates. He told me they are receiving new updates "weekly" and the dealership management is well aware of the situation.

So...I know some on the forum have said that they've been told that the 2016's have updated hardware. Some have reported getting new transmissions. I can only report what I was told...which could be bullshit...that the issue is 100% software related and Acura is not authorizing any warranty replacements of hardware to fix the problem. "It is what it is" is what I was told.

So, my vehicle only had a very slight rough shift from 2 to 3 anyway, and it's not a big deal to me, but starting to wonder what the impact on resale value could be in 4 or 5 years if this doesn't get addressed beyond where it is now. I'm still not at the point of buyer's remorse, as I would have paid considerably more for an Infiniti or Audi or BMW, but I wonder if this car isn't a bit of a problem child.
Old 12-24-2015, 02:05 PM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by neil0311
I wanted to see his reaction which was a pretty quick and firm...."wouldn't matter."

He said that the same issues are happening with the 2016's as well and Acura and the tranny manufacturer are continuing to work on software updates. He told me they are receiving new updates "weekly" and the dealership management is well aware of the situation.

I can only report what I was told...which could be bullshit...that the issue is 100% software related and Acura is not authorizing any warranty replacements of hardware to fix the problem. "It is what it is" is what I was told.
Bullshit, bullshit, and bullshit. Several members of this forum have already gotten replacements (hardware replacements). The dealership and Acura have more a reason to bend the truth than the people here do. I have yet to see a single report of a 2016 with issues, and my dealer's service department said that they haven't seen any (I know the service advisor pretty well after years of going there with my older '96 and '07 TL models and he's always straight up with me).
Old 12-24-2015, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by neil0311
Brought my 15 TLX SH-AWD in to the dealer for the software update as recommended by the service advisor. I figure most of the service advisors will be frank with you if you approach them properly, so I just casually mentioned that I'm starting to think I should have bought a 2016 model. I wanted to see his reaction which was a pretty quick and firm...."wouldn't matter."

So...I know some on the forum have said that they've been told that the 2016's have updated hardware. Some have reported getting new transmissions. I can only report what I was told...which could be bullshit...that the issue is 100% software related and Acura is not authorizing any warranty replacements of hardware to fix the problem. "It is what it is" is what I was told.

So, my vehicle only had a very slight rough shift from 2 to 3 anyway, and it's not a big deal to me, but starting to wonder what the impact on resale value could be in 4 or 5 years if this doesn't get addressed beyond where it is now. I'm still not at the point of buyer's remorse, as I would have paid considerably more for an Infiniti or Audi or BMW, but I wonder if this car isn't a bit of a problem child.
IMHO, I don't think "weekly updates" is even remotely true. My car has been in three times over five months (Aug-Dec) and I never received any better updates than what got on the first visit in August. In fact, all they did on the third visit was repeat what they did on the first.

I also question the assertion that this is 100% software related. So far, this issue is now about 14 months old. A capable team could re-write the transmission controller software in it's entirety in that time, never mind the fact that this problem is isolated to no more than the first two shifts at very specific RPM ranges. They got enough data of my car alone to know what the problem is.

IMO, they don't know how to fix it or more likely the hardware is preventing them from fixing it. I think your service advisor is just telling you a story that is designed to prevent you from returning if the issue starts to bother you.

And resale value has already been impacted. I tried to trade out of my lease recently and I was $4K under water (after 10 months and only 8K miles). What they wanted to give me in trade was only $4K over the residual value (based on a May 2018 trade in).

Not trying to talk you out of liking the car. Believe my I WANT to like this car. I really do. So much about it worth liking. But the transmission, combined with how Acura has handled the issue has really ruined it for me. Right now I wish I would have paid more for the BMW.

Last edited by 1Louder; 12-24-2015 at 04:06 PM.
Old 12-25-2015, 02:14 PM
Drifting

I really don't understand how it couldn't be a hardware issue. If it's just a software issue, then everyone would be experiencing it with the same software. Instead, everyone seems to be experiencing something different. Some cars seem to exhibit no problems (unless they eventually will) and some cars do exhibit issues. How can this happen with the same software? It has to, at least in part, be something different or wrong with the hardware.
Old 12-25-2015, 11:30 PM
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts
I really don't understand how it couldn't be a hardware issue. If it's just a software issue, then everyone would be experiencing it with the same software. Instead, everyone seems to be experiencing something different. Some cars seem to exhibit no problems (unless they eventually will) and some cars do exhibit issues. How can this happen with the same software? It has to, at least in part, be something different or wrong with the hardware.
Well, everyone's initial conditions are slightly different. Software systems like this are complicated and behave accordingly. The theory that software always does the same thing is correct, but naive. It only does the same thing when the initial conditions are exactly the same.
KeithL (12-26-2015)
Old 12-26-2015, 06:50 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 400 Likes on 282 Posts
Weight in the car also seems to make a difference, e.g., 1 person vs 3 or more.
Old 12-26-2015, 11:03 AM

I think part of it has to do with the software attempts to "learn" your style and alter the algorithms accordingly. So there are parameters in the software that can be altered by individual driving style which may create a variety of driving experiences. But I don't think that's 100% it, otherwise we'd have figured out the "style" that makes this go away.

I personally think all V6 TLX's are prone to this issue. They have to be actually - the same hardware and the same software would create the conditions needed for this issue to be present in every single car. I don't think silence from a majority of owners means there is no issue, I think the silence is due to:

a) They don't notice it or don't recognize it as an issue. Not all drivers will pick up on the different shifting behavior. I can't imaging my parents driving this car and noticing anything.

b) Even if they did notice it, most drivers don't think to look things like this up. It's really a small percentage of car owners who would participate in a forum like this.

c) Most people just aren't into their cars - they are a means of transportation. Even with cars in this category you are going to get a lot of owners who will just be oblivious to some defects even if they are glaring.

I don't think this is a "only some cars have the problem" kind of issue. I think this is "only some drivers will notice and care enough to complain about it" kind of issue.
Old 12-26-2015, 01:35 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by sbillard
Well, everyone's initial conditions are slightly different. Software systems like this are complicated and behave accordingly. The theory that software always does the same thing is correct, but naive. It only does the same thing when the initial conditions are exactly the same.
Ditto, what people forget is the car is probably looking at dozens if not hundreds of real time measurements to determine what the tranny needs to do next. The difficulty in precisely duplicating all those sensor readings under the same exact conditions is difficult. Additionally if you have a bug in the software it makes it that more difficult. Modern vehicles are extremely complex and the software programming is at the heart of almost every function in the vehicel.

Quick Reply: 9AT Hard Shift 1-2 and 2-3