9AT Hard Shift 1-2 and 2-3

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2015, 10:06 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 164 Likes on 115 Posts
Just wondering... with the zf9 issues across various vehicle brands, how come the nhtsa hasnt done anything? Is it because it doesnt really pose any safety concerns?

To v6 owners who have had their trannies replaced, can you guys post the dealer name and service rep that can attest to the replacement?

Just a thought.... maybe we should all start hanging out in acura showrooms, small-chat with evey prospective buyer and mention to them the tlx v6 issues and how acura refuses to own up to the problem. Lol

Last edited by mondster; 12-04-2015 at 10:13 PM.
Old 12-05-2015, 12:42 AM
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by kuzdu
if acura would of stuck with the 6speed this car would be amazing, but more gears better fuel economy is what the people want. i rather shift better with more power

dealer called the service manager and regional rep is testing the vehicle now. hopefully they pull the trigger and decide to replace
They could have used the Aisin 8 speed that Volvo uses. Well it seems the newest versions of the 9 speed have no issues, so maybe ZF has it sorted it out now. I wish we could all just get a mass recall and everyone would get new transmissions. My transmission is still doing fine, after the update and idle relearn procedure.
Old 12-05-2015, 08:41 AM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Monster - I opened a case with the NHTSA and rec'd confirmation of the case.
Old 12-05-2015, 08:45 AM
Styl1n

Received 159 Likes on 95 Posts
Well no luck they don't want to change it out even after all evidence they don't want to authorize the change my build date is 1/15 and the loaner I had was 3/15 the loaner had better response and and acceleration it felt good. I guess it Acura corporate now for complaints.
Old 12-05-2015, 08:48 AM
Styl1n

How exactly is the idle relearn done. Is it through a computer or we can do it?
Old 12-05-2015, 09:05 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 164 Likes on 115 Posts
Originally Posted by jswift2000
Monster - I opened a case with the NHTSA and rec'd confirmation of the case.
Maybe i should open one too. How do you open one? All i did was file a complaint.
Old 12-05-2015, 10:37 AM
Old Man Yelling at Clouds

Received 7,362 Likes on 3,906 Posts
Originally Posted by mondster
Just wondering... with the zf9 issues across various vehicle brands, how come the nhtsa hasnt done anything? Is it because it doesnt really pose any safety concerns?
I think our problem going this route will be the absence of data that shows the ZF directly contributes to accidents or truly hazardous situations. I think the closest we come is the 1-2 second lag when flooring it, but I doubt that would ever translate into something actionable. Now my car went into park while moving, and I think something like that would qualify, but so far it seems to be an isolated incident related to a bad TCM in my car an not a systemic problem.

How exactly is the idle relearn done. Is it through a computer or we can do it?
I believe you have to take it in and have this done - computer is required. Mine was done under warranty as a reaction to my complaints, so it shouldn't cost you anything other than time.
Old 12-05-2015, 11:04 AM
Instructor

Maybe i should open one too. How do you open one? All i did was file a complaint.
I followed this link on the NHTSA website. Within a few weeks I heard back and was asked to confirm some info. Any little bit helps.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/
Old 12-05-2015, 11:09 AM
Instructor

I also heard from ACR yesterday and was told that they have received complaints that people are unhappy with the way the transmission is performing. At least we have acknowledgment. I was also told, whether its true or not, that all cases opened with ACR (phone, twitter, facebook, email, etc) can be reviewed by the engineers.
Old 12-05-2015, 05:53 PM
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 26 Posts

To v6 owners who have had their trannies replaced, can you guys post the dealer name and service rep that can attest to the replacement?

Just a thought.... maybe we should all start hanging out in acura showrooms, small-chat with evey prospective buyer and mention to them the tlx v6 issues and how acura refuses to own up to the problem. Lol
What to you mean attest to their replacement?

I posted my invoice proving mine was replaced.

Still to today, the transmission is perfectly smooth (except for the occasional hiccup that comes from having 9 freakin gears.)
Old 12-05-2015, 06:07 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Reading all the posts on this issue, I am wondering if the problem is a sticky dog clutch. There is another video posted on this form that shows the buildup of the ZF transmission and how the dog clutch works. It is hydraulically driven. There was a stop sale late last year for certain TLX's because of contamination in the transmissions that could interfere with the park setting. The indicator would show the transmission was in park but it was not. The fix was to flush the transmissions to remove contamination. I am now wondering if many may have contamination left over interfering with the dog clutch? I wonder if a flush may correct it? I have a SH-awd that was built after the stop sale and while I notice the 2-3 shift it is no where near the jerkiness many describe. Just something I would explore if I was experiencing the problem.
The following users liked this post:
9SpeedTran (12-05-2015)
Old 12-05-2015, 09:00 PM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by flybyglass
Reading all the posts on this issue, I am wondering if the problem is a sticky dog clutch. There is another video posted on this form that shows the buildup of the ZF transmission and how the dog clutch works. It is hydraulically driven. There was a stop sale late last year for certain TLX's because of contamination in the transmissions that could interfere with the park setting. The indicator would show the transmission was in park but it was not. The fix was to flush the transmissions to remove contamination. I am now wondering if many may have contamination left over interfering with the dog clutch? I wonder if a flush may correct it? I have a SH-awd that was built after the stop sale and while I notice the 2-3 shift it is no where near the jerkiness many describe. Just something I would explore if I was experiencing the problem.
The 2-3 shift shouldn't involve a dog clutch movement though...doesn't mean it's not related, but I think it's unlikely. 2-3 involves releasing 2 brakes I believe.
Old 12-06-2015, 02:01 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ATXTLX
What to you mean attest to their replacement?

I posted my invoice proving mine was replaced.

Still to today, the transmission is perfectly smooth (except for the occasional hiccup that comes from having 9 freakin gears.)
What kind of hiccup are you referring to?
Old 12-06-2015, 08:46 AM
Styl1n

Tomorrow I will be emailing client relations with all the attachments and take it from there. This issue in my opinion is a programming thing and I think the older tranny cannot handle the new program. My 1/15 build car drives like a grandpa compared to the 3/15 build loaner car I had.
Old 12-06-2015, 09:46 AM
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Vlke
What kind of hiccup are you referring to?
Every once in a while (its happened twice in a month and a half) if I am accelerating and then have to suddenly lift my foot off the gas (pedestrian, squirrel, deer in road), the car has tried to engine brake instead of coast, and the tranny jumps just a bit. Nothing like what the previous tranny did before the switch out when it was upshifting.

Also, one thing the new transmission did not get fully ironed out was downshifting. You can still feel when the car goes from 3-2 (I think that is the shift). Again, not terrible, but not 100% perfect buttery smooth.

I have been paying very close attention to the shifts still... looking to see if any evidence of the previous issues would come back.

With my main gripe before being the awfully jerky 2-3 shift, that is completely gone.

I still wish Acura had put a different transmission in the car. At least it is much better than before. I am curious as to how the 10 speed will perform when that comes out.
Old 12-06-2015, 07:40 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Every once in a while (its happened twice in a month and a half) if I am accelerating and then have to suddenly lift my foot off the gas (pedestrian, squirrel, deer in road), the car has tried to engine brake instead of coast, and the tranny jumps just a bit. Nothing like what the previous tranny did before the switch out when it was upshifting.

Also, one thing the new transmission did not get fully ironed out was downshifting. You can still feel when the car goes from 3-2 (I think that is the shift). Again, not terrible, but not 100% perfect buttery smooth.

I have been paying very close attention to the shifts still... looking to see if any evidence of the previous issues would come back.

With my main gripe before being the awfully jerky 2-3 shift, that is completely gone.

I still wish Acura had put a different transmission in the car. At least it is much better than before. I am curious as to how the 10 speed will perform when that comes out.
I get my car back tomorrow with thr replaced transmission. I'll report my findings.
Old 12-07-2015, 07:20 AM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds like Honda has programmed it exactly like their 6-speed auto. Aggressive engine braking in city driving, often will get jagged downshifts and the car does not coast if you lift your foot off the gas below 40 mph.
Old 12-07-2015, 08:43 AM
CPR
Burning Brakes

Received 277 Likes on 144 Posts
UPDATE: Drove the car about 150 miles over the weekend; stop & go, & highway
Still drives great; very slight shift hesitation, from 2nd -3rd; but IMHO, if I wasn't cognizant of past problems, I'd probably not even notice it.
The MPG is back to normal, & the power surge after 4th gear, is perfect
Using Sport+, exclusively, & 35PSI, in my Goodyear Eagles, all around
My SH-AWD/TLX/Tech, is about as good as it gets
Hopefully, it'll remain this way; Lovin' my ride!
Good luck all!
Old 12-07-2015, 09:54 AM
Styl1n

Just sent a letter to customer relations and CC all of the managers and service reps let's see where this goes.
Old 12-07-2015, 09:55 AM
Styl1n

Originally Posted by CPR
UPDATE: Drove the car about 150 miles over the weekend; stop & go, & highway
Still drives great; very slight shift hesitation, from 2nd -3rd; but IMHO, if I wasn't cognizant of past problems, I'd probably not even notice it.
The MPG is back to normal, & the power surge after 4th gear, is perfect
Using Sport+, exclusively, & 35PSI, in my Goodyear Eagles, all around
My SH-AWD/TLX/Tech, is about as good as it gets
Hopefully, it'll remain this way; Lovin' my ride!
Good luck all!
what year was your build? i drove the 2015 loaner build was 3/15 and it drove great
Old 12-07-2015, 09:58 AM
CPR
Burning Brakes

Received 277 Likes on 144 Posts
Not sure, but I took delivery on January 17th/2015
It must've been a '14
BTW: my previous posts, explored the multi problems I had, before this last fix
I'm hoping the grief is over
Old 12-07-2015, 12:12 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well no luck they don't want to change it out even after all evidence they don't want to authorize the change my build date is 1/15 and the loaner I had was 3/15 the loaner had better response and and acceleration it felt good. I guess it Acura corporate now for complaints.
My V6 FWD Tech is a 03/15 build and I have a new transmission on my x-mas wish list. Had the update and re-learn applied once in Sept and tried to get it done again last month because my car still exhibits the symptoms, but the dealer denied me per the Tech's opinion my car drives/shifts smoother than other guys they have tested. It was only smoother because the Tech was driving super aggressive with the shifts above 4000 rpm.

I'm waiting on a call back from ACR DCM. They called me 2 wednesdays ago and said they were going to call Cerritos Acura for more info and call me back last wednesday... not going to hold my breath, but will have my fingers crossed.
Old 12-07-2015, 08:23 PM

I'm not going to let a tech drive my car without me if I can help it for this exact reason. Car shifts perfectly above 4000 rpm. The problem is between 2k and ~3.5k.
9SpeedTran (12-07-2015)
Old 12-07-2015, 10:19 PM
10th Gear

My TLX has been at the dealer for over 6 weeks. Just waiting. . . .

They've apparently been communicating with the factory. And a tech is going to do some more test driving.
Whatever.

We've got a 2016 RDX in the meantime. But I'm taking the train for the most part on my commute. I've had enough bad experiences for one year.

I feel like I'm down the rabbit hole every time I read these posts. It's discouraging, stressful, and oddly reassuring at the same time reading other's experiences.

Last edited by newlybird17; 12-07-2015 at 10:22 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 12-08-2015, 06:49 AM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by newlybird17

They've apparently been communicating with the factory. And a tech is going to do some more test driving.
Whatever.

We've got a 2016 RDX in the meantime. But I'm taking the train for the most part on my commute. I've had enough bad experiences for one year.

I feel like I'm down the rabbit hole every time I read these posts. It's discouraging, stressful, and oddly reassuring at the same time reading other's experiences.
That is a long time for it to be at the dealer. Check lemon laws in your state.
Old 12-08-2015, 07:16 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts

Whatever.

I fully understand the rabbit hole thing. I remember that pain over the TLX all too well
Old 12-08-2015, 07:41 AM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by 1Louder
I'm not going to let a tech drive my car without me if I can help it for this exact reason. Car shifts perfectly above 4000 rpm. The problem is between 2k and ~3.5k.
I'll be doing the driving, letting the tech ride along. Make the shifts random so he doesn't have time to brace for the shift and his head gets slammed into headrest.

I've found the best way to repro is go to sport+, hold speed at about 25 mph and paddle shift between 2nd and 3rd. Mine produces a healthy jolt in that scenario.

#FixMyTLX9speed
Jayellin (12-08-2015)
Old 12-08-2015, 07:43 AM
Advanced

Does it look like there is a production date after which this issue is resolved or greatly lessened?

I have an 11/14 build. The only TLX I have driven that doesn't display the problem is the 2016 model.
Old 12-08-2015, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by rgpolson
I'll be doing the driving, letting the tech ride along. Make the shifts random so he doesn't have time to brace for the shift and his head gets slammed into headrest.

I've found the best way to repro is go to sport+, hold speed at about 25 mph and paddle shift between 2nd and 3rd. Mine produces a healthy jolt in that scenario.

#FixMyTLX9speed
That's a good tip - I'm going to try that. Thanks -
Old 12-08-2015, 08:28 AM

Does it look like there is a production date after which this issue is resolved or greatly lessened?

I have an 11/14 build. The only TLX I have driven that doesn't display the problem is the 2016 model.
FWIW mine is January and I have it.
Old 12-08-2015, 11:36 AM
Styl1n

has anyone confirmed the internals in the new tranny is different from ours or is it just a matter of getting a new pcm unit or program? im still waiting on ACR to call me hopefully in a day or two.
Old 12-08-2015, 01:47 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
has anyone confirmed the internals in the new tranny is different from ours or is it just a matter of getting a new pcm unit or program? im still waiting on ACR to call me hopefully in a day or two.
My car has a 9/14 build date. I just received the car back with the replaced transmission. The tech that told me the new transmission had " revised parts and updated programming". I asked him if it was the same as in a 2016 and he said that one is revised even further.
My car is shifting well now, and the acceleration lag is much less. I hope it stays that way
9SpeedTran (12-08-2015)
Old 12-08-2015, 01:55 PM
Styl1n

Originally Posted by Robs252
My car has a 9/14 build date. I just received the car back with the replaced transmission. The tech that told me the new transmission had " revised parts and updated programming". I asked him if it was the same as in a 2016 and he said that one is revised even further.
My car is shifting well now, and the acceleration lag is much less. I hope it stays that way
crap so which tranny is better the one in the 2016 or the revised ones lol, they should give us the 2016 ones unless something doesn't fit correctly, im going to fight them until the end for a 2016 tranny or to buy this car back and put me into a 2016. this is crazy what we have to go through just to get a car that works well.
Old 12-08-2015, 03:39 PM
Styl1n

crap so which tranny is better the one in the 2016 or the revised ones lol, they should give us the 2016 ones unless something doesn't fit correctly, im going to fight them until the end for a 2016 tranny or to buy this car back and put me into a 2016. this is crazy what we have to go through just to get a car that works well.
found this

http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SB/B15-040.PDF

and the part is discontinued

http://www.acurapartsnow.com/oe-acura/062805l9a52

could this be our problems? still trying to hash it out

Last edited by kuzdu; 12-08-2015 at 03:42 PM.
Old 12-08-2015, 04:09 PM
Advanced

found this

http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SB/B15-040.PDF

and the part is discontinued

CONTROL UNIT, TRANSMISSION | Genuine Acura | 06280-5L9-A52

could this be our problems? still trying to hash it out
You'll note this B15-040 is on revision 4. 4 attempts, 4 failures. I had rev 4 done a few weeks ago. No change. Service rep told me they were talking with Acura engineers about an even different update procedure (or versions). They are supposed to be doing that today. Still waiting to see if I get the car back today. At this point my hopse that anything less than a tranny swap will not be satisfactory.
9SpeedTran (12-08-2015)
Old 12-08-2015, 06:32 PM
Advanced

Whatever.

Six weeks? That is ridiculous. What do they think they are going to do that they haven't been able to do in six weeks?
Old 12-08-2015, 08:20 PM
Drifting

Received 536 Likes on 302 Posts
Originally Posted by CaliAtenza
They could have used the Aisin 8 speed that Volvo uses. Well it seems the newest versions of the 9 speed have no issues, so maybe ZF has it sorted it out now. I wish we could all just get a mass recall and everyone would get new transmissions. My transmission is still doing fine, after the update and idle relearn procedure.
Oddly enough, Volvo engineers already said one of the reasons they went with that 8sp Aisin is because of the ZF 9sp's "different" shifting.
Old 12-09-2015, 02:28 AM
Instructor

#FixMyTLX9speed
I still have some shifting problem after the latest update but with or without update, the passenger side never really felt much of the jolt. It's usually the driver side. Unless the passenger is focused on looking for the shift, they won't notice it.
Old 12-09-2015, 06:42 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Sam Axe
That is a long time for it to be at the dealer. Check lemon laws in your state.
Yes, thanks, we've investigated the lemon laws, for sure. still have a bit of time.

actually, it's a bit of an "out of sight, out of mind" situation. haven't minded having the RDX really, has been good to test it out, and it's clearly more reliable than my TLX has been.

And, our dealer is a really inconvenient drive to get to, so why we haven't been anxious to assist them on any test drives. But good to know the info about reproducing it in SPORT mode. Actually, my problem has always been in economy (4T)

I'll try to post an article about DCT that my husband found.

Last edited by newlybird17; 12-09-2015 at 06:44 AM. Reason: more info
Old 12-09-2015, 06:49 AM
10th Gear

here's the link about DCT, in case any of you haven't seen it,

Dual-clutch transmissions stuck in neutral: Why American buyers are rejecting a once-promising technology | Autoweek

Quick Reply: 9AT Hard Shift 1-2 and 2-3