9AT Hard Shift 1-2 and 2-3

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2015, 09:04 AM
Old Man Yelling at Clouds

Received 7,362 Likes on 3,906 Posts
Just going back to the suggestion rgpolson made about using sport+ to illustrate the problem - I tried it several times yesterday and wow does that work. I never use sport+ mode so if others are like me, enter that mode and make the 2-3 shift happen between 2500 and 3000 rpm. What I got was a huge hesitation (maybe a full second) between commanding the shift and when it happened, and the "bump" was much larger than what I get in the automatic modes. In sport+, the 1-2 shift isn't very good either.

If I can't drive my tech around myself, I'm going to be sure to leave them those specific instructions. In my car, it magnifies the issue by 5x at least.
Old 12-09-2015, 10:25 AM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by newlybird17

If the ZF 9 speed shifts felt like mine when driving a stick I would be OK, but they feel like shifts made the first time I taught my wife to drive a stick.

Abrupt shifts are only part of the problem. The hesitation in a rolling start scenario of down-shifts at highway speed are at least as concerning if not more so.
Old 12-09-2015, 07:51 PM
Drifting

Received 536 Likes on 302 Posts
Originally Posted by newlybird17
Just an FYI (and you may know it already), but the V6/9-speed TLX doesn't use a DCT. The 4-cylinder TLX does use one, though.
Old 12-10-2015, 11:08 AM
CPR
Burning Brakes

Received 277 Likes on 144 Posts
Update/FYI: Got a call yesterday from Kyle Green, ACR, in California; a follow-up, to my earlier complaints, concerns, etc.
Anyway, told him that the majority of the tranny 9 speed problem has disappeared, thanks to the new tech at my dealer
Also told him, that if Acura decides to replace the tranny, with a new version, I won't be upset, & would like to be informed, before the general public.
Right now the car is 75-90% better, & the tranny jolt, has all but evaporated
Lets hope it stays that way
The following users liked this post:
9SpeedTran (12-10-2015)
Old 12-10-2015, 04:27 PM
Pro

Received 197 Likes on 111 Posts
Originally Posted by CPR
Update/FYI: Got a call yesterday from Kyle Green, ACR, in California; a follow-up, to my earlier complaints, concerns, etc.
Anyway, told him that the majority of the tranny 9 speed problem has disappeared, thanks to the new tech at my dealer
Also told him, that if Acura decides to replace the tranny, with a new version, I won't be upset, & would like to be informed, before the general public.
Right now the car is 75-90% better, & the tranny jolt, has all but evaporated
Lets hope it stays that way
Was this after TSB40 Rev 4 or whatever it's up to now? :-)
Old 12-10-2015, 06:46 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
So I started following this as 2 months ago I got a 9/15 build SH-AWD Advance and at first was wondering what all the issues were. Mine still is not bad, but damn this is the worst tranny I have ever owned. Lags with torque converter lockup, laggy 1-2 and 2-3 apshifts and sometime to slams into lower gears on downshifts. If they do a Type-S with this tranny it will be a wasted car. Honestly between the tranny and how pitiful AcuraLink is I don't see myself staying after just returning when this lease is up.
Old 12-10-2015, 08:12 PM
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by KeithL
So I started following this as 2 months ago I got a 9/15 build SH-AWD Advance and at first was wondering what all the issues were. Mine still is not bad, but damn this is the worst tranny I have ever owned. Lags with torque converter lockup, laggy 1-2 and 2-3 apshifts and sometime to slams into lower gears on downshifts. If they do a Type-S with this tranny it will be a wasted car. Honestly between the tranny and how pitiful AcuraLink is I don't see myself staying after just returning when this lease is up.
Wow, my 8/15 build is nowhere near as bad as this. I still have some slightly more forceful shifts after the idle relearn and software update, but I can totally live with it. I'm keeping an eye on it though.
Old 12-11-2015, 04:36 AM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
I'm puzzled by all the different scenarios that people are having issues. I also have a 8/15 build date like CaliAtenza and I dont have the rough shift. However, the hesitation presents itself at all the wrong times. I'm dealing until my first oil change. Case still opened with NHTSA...
Old 12-11-2015, 08:36 AM

ACR called my dealership - I have a 12/15 appointment to drive a tech around and bang his head against the headrest over and over again. We'll see what comes of it.

Hey on a possibly unrelated note (and I'll take the conversation to another thread if it's not transmission related), has anyone else experienced a large, sudden drop in MPG? My last two tanks (which spans 500 miles) are a clean 4-5 MPG lower all of a sudden. I'm aware of "winter gas" - I track my mileage with every car and while I do see drops in winter it's 1-2, not 4-5. I did get a noticeable drop of 1-2 MPG after the idle relearn too. Anyone else?
Old 12-11-2015, 08:41 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by KeithL
My guess is Acura hold off on a Type-S until the 10 speed Honda designed transmission is done. I wouldn't be surprised if 2017 TLX gets the new transmission as it is very obvious the ZF was a huge mistake.
Old 12-11-2015, 12:40 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocketsfan
Just an FYI (and you may know it already), but the V6/9-speed TLX doesn't use a DCT. The 4-cylinder TLX does use one, though.
Thanks, we do have the 4 cylinder TLX. I'm wondering though, because I usually drive it in economy mode, if that contributes to the problems.
Old 12-11-2015, 05:04 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by CaliAtenza
Wow, my 8/15 build is nowhere near as bad as this. I still have some slightly more forceful shifts after the idle relearn and software update, but I can totally live with it. I'm keeping an eye on it though.
So it is not horrible, but at least once a day I notice a quirk with it's shifts. Infiniti had some complaints with their 7spd that would hunt, I had that 7spd in my 2011 M37S and over 45K miles I can only remember a handful of time it would hunt and it was very predictable, usually as you were slowing to a stop but did not stop then were to accelerate at a certain amount the tranny would hesitate as it thought about what gear it wanted. My 8spd in my A6 was flawless over 19K miles, that was an awesome powertrain, engine, tranny and quattro.

Originally Posted by rgpolson
My guess is Acura hold off on a Type-S until the 10 speed Honda designed transmission is done. I wouldn't be surprised if 2017 TLX gets the new transmission as it is very obvious the ZF was a huge mistake.
I question wheter that can have the 10 speed ready that soon, I suspect FMC at best before the 10 speed shots up. Not maybe use the 7 speed form the RLX, not sure how that is doing.
Old 12-11-2015, 05:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 164 Likes on 115 Posts
For those claiming that their shifting is smooth, which i know can be subjective, how does your car react when paddle shifting from 2nd to 3rd in sport+ mode? Is it a quick transition or is there still delay and kick?
Old 12-12-2015, 12:46 AM
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by jswift2000
I'm puzzled by all the different scenarios that people are having issues. I also have a 8/15 build date like CaliAtenza and I dont have the rough shift. However, the hesitation presents itself at all the wrong times. I'm dealing until my first oil change. Case still opened with NHTSA...
My shifts aren't rough so much as forceful. Actually I like the fact that after the update, the Normal mode has become more aggressive.
Old 12-12-2015, 02:21 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by 1Louder
ACR called my dealership - I have a 12/15 appointment to drive a tech around and bang his head against the headrest over and over again. We'll see what comes of it.

Hey on a possibly unrelated note (and I'll take the conversation to another thread if it's not transmission related), has anyone else experienced a large, sudden drop in MPG? My last two tanks (which spans 500 miles) are a clean 4-5 MPG lower all of a sudden. I'm aware of "winter gas" - I track my mileage with every car and while I do see drops in winter it's 1-2, not 4-5. I did get a noticeable drop of 1-2 MPG after the idle relearn too. Anyone else?
Maybe the shift to the winter blend.
Old 12-12-2015, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Rocket_man
Maybe the shift to the winter blend.
On-line opinions vary, but the consensus is winter gas only makes a 2% difference. You might see a 2 mpg change in a car getting 45 mpg. Ours should be more like 1, which would be very difficult to even detect given other variables have more impact. I'm not buying its the gas - I've tracked MPG for a long time across three different cars. I have a pretty good idea what changes to expect in winter. I'm more suspicious my VCM isn't working. Also, I got a measurable drop after the idle relearn, which happened late summer so gas was a constant. That's why I'm bringing it up here.
Old 12-12-2015, 01:27 PM
Styl1n

Received 159 Likes on 95 Posts
Originally Posted by CaliAtenza
My shifts aren't rough so much as forceful. Actually I like the fact that after the update, the Normal mode has become more aggressive.
I think any transmission built after 3/15 are good after the updates with acceleration and no lag, I told acr to compare my car to a new build and let me know the difference and if they find a difference they will investigate why and correct the issue. Going in next week Friday for this
Old 12-12-2015, 01:52 PM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
On-line opinions vary, but the consensus is winter gas only makes a 2% difference. You might see a 2 mpg change in a car getting 45 mpg. Ours should be more like 1, which would be very difficult to even detect given other variables have more impact. I'm not buying its the gas - I've tracked MPG for a long time across three different cars. I have a pretty good idea what changes to expect in winter. I'm more suspicious my VCM isn't working. Also, I got a measurable drop after the idle relearn, which happened late summer so gas was a constant. That's why I'm bringing it up here.
My Winter mileage is a 2 - 3 MPG's lower than in the Summer. I attribute it to the lower temps and the Winter gas. Frankly I think the ambient temperature makes a bigger difference than the Winter blend.
Old 12-12-2015, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by CheeseyPoofs McNut
My Winter mileage is a 2 - 3 MPG's lower than in the Summer. I attribute it to the lower temps and the Winter gas. Frankly I think the ambient temperature makes a bigger difference than the Winter blend.
I'd agree. Why I'm suspicious is it's not cold right now. In fact, my mileage was +4 better when was in the 20's than now when it's in the 40's.
Old 12-12-2015, 09:32 PM
2016 Lexus ES 350

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
I'm taking mine in on Thursday for the same issue as well as the vibration in the wheel. We'll see what they tell me.
Old 12-13-2015, 05:51 PM
Advanced

Got my car back after a week at the dealer with dealer techs working with Acura techline on different updates and procedures (apparently post 15-040 v4). I think they actually made it worse in some scenarios, slightly better in others. Especially when cold the car hesitates for about a count of 2 and then slams into 3rd. Dealer's master-tech was not convinced they had made it better, but Acura wanted me to drive it. Dealer said next step is engaging ACR. I know that will be great fun.

I spent about 20 minutes driving a 2016 again. While not perfect I would say the worst shifts on the 2016 are equivalent to the best shifts on my 2015.

Also found this at Motortrend (2016 SUV of the year contenders):
Land Rover Discovery Sport
We Don’t Like: The turbo lag, confused transmission, cheap interior.

"There’s a nine-speed automatic ZF transmission, but it never knows what gear it wants to be in or how to get to that gear smoothly."

Sounds very familiar. The ZF is just plain bad.

Land Rover Discovery Sport: 2016 Motor Trend SUV of the Year Contender
The following 2 users liked this post by rgpolson:
1Louder (12-13-2015), Stew4HD (12-13-2015)
Old 12-14-2015, 06:06 AM
Styl1n

Originally Posted by rgpolson
Got my car back after a week at the dealer with dealer techs working with Acura techline on different updates and procedures (apparently post 15-040 v4). I think they actually made it worse in some scenarios, slightly better in others. Especially when cold the car hesitates for about a count of 2 and then slams into 3rd. Dealer's master-tech was not convinced they had made it better, but Acura wanted me to drive it. Dealer said next step is engaging ACR. I know that will be great fun.

I spent about 20 minutes driving a 2016 again. While not perfect I would say the worst shifts on the 2016 are equivalent to the best shifts on my 2015.

Also found this at Motortrend (2016 SUV of the year contenders):
Land Rover Discovery Sport
We Don’t Like: The turbo lag, confused transmission, cheap interior.

"There’s a nine-speed automatic ZF transmission, but it never knows what gear it wants to be in or how to get to that gear smoothly."

Sounds very familiar. The ZF is just plain bad.

Land Rover Discovery Sport: 2016 Motor Trend SUV of the Year Contender

When did version 4 come out? And did you feel any difference in throttle and acceleration? How was it worst and better?

They just need to give us new tranny's and and updated software :-)
Old 12-14-2015, 09:04 AM
CPR
Burning Brakes

UPDATE:
After driving about 200 miles; hwy., & city, combined, this past weekend, some observations:
The REAL LAG seems to be when you accelerate SLOWLY, from a dead stop; (most noticeable)
When you PRESS the accelerator, the lag is somewhat insignificant, & after all the SW updates, after 4th gear, the car's a rocket launcher; great acceleration; almost like a turbo
CONCLUSION: LOVE driving my SH-AWD/TLX, on the highway; city driving, I think confuses the tranny; it's annoying, but not a deal breaker.
Hopefully, an upcoming SW update, will fix the lag permanently; until then, que sera sera
Old 12-14-2015, 09:54 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by kuzdu
When did version 4 come out? And did you feel any difference in throttle and acceleration? How was it worst and better?

They just need to give us new tranny's and and updated software :-)
Version 4 is dated Oct 17, 2015.
Old 12-14-2015, 11:49 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by CPR
UPDATE:
After driving about 200 miles; hwy., & city, combined, this past weekend, some observations:
The REAL LAG seems to be when you accelerate SLOWLY, from a dead stop; (most noticeable)
When you PRESS the accelerator, the lag is somewhat insignificant, & after all the SW updates, after 4th gear, the car's a rocket launcher; great acceleration; almost like a turbo
CONCLUSION: LOVE driving my SH-AWD/TLX, on the highway; city driving, I think confuses the tranny; it's annoying, but not a deal breaker.
Hopefully, an upcoming SW update, will fix the lag permanently; until then, que sera sera
I agree, around town in slow stop and go driving frequently this tranny is as dumb as they come. Also I find if you are on a moderate incline and roll then accelerate the tranny lag and rev/slippage is horrible. Whoever programmed this tranny should be fired immediately, followed by whoever selected this ZF in the first place!
Old 12-14-2015, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by CPR
UPDATE:
Hi CPR - I go in tomorrow and I was wondering, do you have an official name for what they did with your idle? It wasn't a relearn if I recall, but some kind of re-calibration or evaluation that it wasn't in spec? I want to bring that up with the tech tomorrow as something to look into.
Old 12-14-2015, 01:58 PM
Advanced

New Process?

Attached is the invoice from my 7 day stay at the dealer. "Adaptive drive cycle" is a new one for me.
Attached Thumbnails 9AT Hard Shift 1-2 and 2-3-acura-new.png  
Old 12-14-2015, 02:06 PM
CPR
Burning Brakes

Hey 1Louder; check my post from 11/30th/1:44PM; there, you'll find the only explanation I'm aware of
Good luck!
I've learned through experience, that the dealer Tech, is the bridge to vehicle satisfaction
Good ones are REAL hard to find; like doctors, or any other pro's
Old 12-14-2015, 11:36 PM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I ended up sending an email to the GM of the dealership I brought the car from in hopes of getting a transmission swap, we'll see where this goes. I honestly don't think any further updates will solve the problem as it seems to be an issue with the transmission itself.
Old 12-15-2015, 08:06 AM
Styl1n

my car is going in Friday again for some door part replacement, ACR should be contacting the dealer to look at my car as well. i had a long trip this weekend about 300, the car could of performed better it doesn't know what gear it wants to be in and acceleration is crap this really needs to be resolved.
Old 12-15-2015, 03:40 PM
Cruisin'

Taking in my car tomorrow to Cerritos Acura and hoping for a new tranny + a 2016 TLX loaner

Last week I sent an email to the Service Mgr, Service Adviser, my Sales Mgr, and then attached that email to my previous ACR email thread letting them know about the car's issues and touched on some things other owners posted in this thread. I even included the link for them lol.

EDIT: I should note that ACR DCM Tiffany called me once on Nov 25th and I haven't heard from her since. I even called and asked to speak with her but was told she was on the phone. ACR also replied back to my email with the attachment stating that Tiffany will contact me.. yeah right

Anyway I got a call from my the service adviser yesterday and he started off with "my boss forwarded me your email and told me to contact you right away". His attitude was much different from when I brought my car in back in Nov, where he pretty much told me there's nothing that can be done.

I'll report back when things are complete.. *fingers crossed*

Last edited by Maklbc; 12-15-2015 at 03:44 PM.
Old 12-15-2015, 04:34 PM

Brought my car in this morning and took the tech for a drive. Shifting in Sport+ mode is the absolute way to go. It's consistent, easily repeatable and the lag followed by the hard shift is undeniable. They called today and said they drove a later build 2015 TLX and said mine was definitely "different" (mine is a January build). So my car will be at the dealer for several days no doubt as they work with Acura and ACR. I also mentioned how "several people" I know got trannys replaced and were very happy.
The following 2 users liked this post by 1Louder:
2011TL (12-15-2015), burn1010 (12-15-2015)
Old 12-15-2015, 06:20 PM
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 26 Posts

You get a new transmission! And you get a new transmission! Everyone gets a new transmission! LOL. I am happy that Acura is finally making things right. Hopefully you will be part of the new transmission club soon.
Old 12-15-2015, 07:37 PM

Oh I wish!
Old 12-15-2015, 08:03 PM
Styl1n

Brought my car in this morning and took the tech for a drive. Shifting in Sport+ mode is the absolute way to go. It's consistent, easily repeatable and the lag followed by the hard shift is undeniable. They called today and said they drove a later build 2015 TLX and said mine was definitely "different" (mine is a January build). So my car will be at the dealer for several days no doubt as they work with Acura and ACR. I also mentioned how "several people" I know got trannys replaced and were very happy.
I have that same issue and mine is a January build as well I think the later models have different transmissions. Friday mine is going back in the shop once again 4th time.
Old 12-15-2015, 11:30 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Edmunds came down pretty hard (again) in their latest long term update.

Awkward Conversations - 2015 Acura TLX SH-AWD Long-Term Road Test

I also have a January 2015 build and it really is frustrating. My service advisor told me my car had the 34 tsb done before I leased it and that should've resolved any issues. He also said that the his computer would tell him whether to perform a further update and it did not.

I'm debating whether to go back and insist more is done.
The following 3 users liked this post by burn1010:
1Louder (12-16-2015), 9SpeedTran (12-16-2015), Maklbc (12-16-2015)
Old 12-16-2015, 08:02 AM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

Received 599 Likes on 454 Posts
Originally Posted by burn1010

I also have a January 2015 build and it really is frustrating. My service advisor told me my car had the 34 tsb done before I leased it and that should've resolved any issues. He also said that the his computer would tell him whether to perform a further update and it did not.

Not that it matters, but I would suggest that every TLX owner who brings their TLX in for service for the trans issue bring along a copy of the Edmunds article. Again, not sure if it will help, but it can't hurt.
The following 2 users liked this post by JT4:
9SpeedTran (12-16-2015), Stew4HD (12-16-2015)
Old 12-16-2015, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by JT4
Not that it matters, but I would suggest that every TLX owner who brings their TLX in for service for the trans issue bring along a copy of the Edmunds article. Again, not sure if it will help, but it can't hurt.
I would strongly recommend calling Acura Customer Relations (ACR) and opening a ticket. From what I can tell, this is the only way you can get past a dealership who gives you the "we've done everything the computer tells us to do" story (which is the story I got too). My ACR rep called the service manager at my dealership directly so they didn't have much of a choice but to see me again.
Old 12-16-2015, 01:18 PM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I would strongly recommend calling Acura Customer Relations (ACR) and opening a ticket. From what I can tell, this is the only way you can get past a dealership who gives you the "we've done everything the computer tells us to do" story (which is the story I got too). My ACR rep called the service manager at my dealership directly so they didn't have much of a choice but to see me again.
I wish I can say the same. My ACR spoke with the service manager and agrees with him that my transmission is working under normal specification and there's nothing else that can be done. If I don't agree then I can take it to another dealership but if that dealership says the same thing then there's nothing left to do. Mind you that I texted my service manager telling him my transmission was having problems again 2 weeks after the K95 update and he told me my transmission is working fine without even asking me to bring the car in for diagnose.
Old 12-16-2015, 01:40 PM
Cruisin'

GREAT find and thanks for the post!

I dropped off my car this morning and unfortunately they gave me the 2.4 TLX.... for what it's worth, the 2.4, using paddle shifters, is so smooth and there isn't a jolt when shifting at all. Doesn't even feel like you are progressing through gears.

I am definitely going to print this out and take it to Acura when I go to pick-up my car regardless of the work or non-work they do to try to resolve the tranny issue.

Quick Reply: 9AT Hard Shift 1-2 and 2-3