When do you think the next gen TL (TLX) will be released?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 03:30 PM
'16 ILX Premium/A-Spec

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by JT4

I really wish Acura would give us a few hints already!
I think we will know more in about 6 weeks. The all new MDX started coming off the production line in Alabama last week and it's said to start landing on dealer lots in the coming weeks.

I believe once the 2014 MDX is on the ground we'll see Acura put the TLX up as the "future vehicles" on the main web site and start getting details soon after.

The MDX is a bread and butter vehicle for Acura and they don't want another model steeling it's spotlight.
Old 05-10-2013, 03:35 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
^^ Acura is one of the tightest company I have ever seen!! It blows my mind that we can't even see a camouflaged TLX but we have been seeing pretty much an almost production ready NSX for the last year and a half now. I guess when it suits THEM to create a buzz for their lack luster performance in car design, they feel its OK to get the public and enthusiasts see what coming....not so much when it comes to anything else.

As far as the TLX being smaller than the 4G TL, everyone know that this will be the case. It will be based on the Accord which has shrunk a little so we all expect the TLX to be a little smaller on the outside while not being overly different inside (size wise).

It sure looks like Audi will be my next car.
Old 05-10-2013, 04:03 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by weather
^^ Acura is one of the tightest company I have ever seen!! It blows my mind that we can't even see a camouflaged TLX but we have been seeing pretty much an almost production ready NSX for the last year and a half now. I guess when it suits THEM to create a buzz for their lack luster performance in car design, they feel its OK to get the public and enthusiasts see what coming....not so much when it comes to anything else.

As far as the TLX being smaller than the 4G TL, everyone know that this will be the case. It will be based on the Accord which has shrunk a little so we all expect the TLX to be a little smaller on the outside while not being overly different inside (size wise).

It sure looks like Audi will be my next car.
An Audi?
Old 05-10-2013, 04:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
I expect TLX to shrink to 13 Accord size, or a tad anger than the 3G TL which was a nice size sedan. My problem is I am now spoiled with the size of my M37.
Old 05-11-2013, 09:12 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Stew4HD
An Audi?
Hey Stew4HD....I am not ruling out the TLX out just yet, however, if Acura doesn't deliver an exciting and sexy car, I will have to go to a brand that does. I am torn as to what to get next but I see an S4 or an S5 and I get so "excited". I am aware that Audi and BWM don't deliver the reliability that Acura does but then again, I never keep my cars more than 3 years anyway. If its a mistake, I'll put that one in the column of "life's experience that was bad" (lol).

The biggest thing that may save Acura is not the car itself but my experience with the dealer where I buy my Acura. These people are so good to me that, this point could keep me in the brand.

All I can say is that Acura better come out with a TLX that will look sexy, with gorgeous wheels (or at least as an accessory) and a decent body kit. I can live without the dual exhausts and the super techy interior. For me, its about esthetics of the car.
The following users liked this post:
Stew4HD (05-11-2013)
Old 05-11-2013, 09:21 AM
Suzuka Master

Hey Stew4HD....I am not ruling out the TLX out just yet, however, if Acura doesn't deliver an exciting and sexy car, I will have to go to a brand that does. I am torn as to what to get next but I see an S4 or an S5 and I get so "excited". I am aware that Audi and BWM don't deliver the reliability that Acura does but then again, I never keep my cars more than 3 years anyway. If its a mistake, I'll put that one in the column of "life's experience that was bad" (lol).

The biggest thing that may save Acura is not the car itself but my experience with the dealer where I buy my Acura. These people are so good to me that, this point could keep me in the brand.

All I can say is that Acura better come out with a TLX that will look sexy, with gorgeous wheels (or at least as an accessory) and a decent body kit. I can live without the dual exhausts and the super techy interior. For me, its about esthetics of the car.
Good post.

I fully expect Acura to deliver a nice car on the next gen.

Like you, the dealership I deal with, Sterling McCall Acura, has treated me like a king, it's hard to leave that behind.

I don't see any other car that makes me go.. "Hmmmm!!!" out there right now... at least not in my price range.
Old 05-11-2013, 09:21 AM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
According to vtec.net, we're going to have to wait a little while longer on the TLX!

http://vtec.net/news/news-item?news_item_id=1147450
Old 05-11-2013, 10:03 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts
Good post.

I fully expect Acura to deliver a nice car on the next gen.

Like you, the dealership I deal with, Sterling McCall Acura, has treated me like a king, it's hard to leave that behind.

I don't see any other car that makes me go.. "Hmmmm!!!" out there right now... at least not in my price range.
It's nice to be treated like a king. My dealership as well delivers excellent customer service. But alas, at the end of the day, I drive a car not a dealer. I would rather drive a first rate car, than a first rate dealer. Ideally I'd like to have both. I think the q50 hybrid is going to be serious competition for whatever acura produces as its TLx.
BEAR-AvHistory (05-12-2013)
Old 05-11-2013, 10:08 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by g37guy01
It's nice to be treated like a king. My dealership as well delivers excellent customer service. But alas, at the end of the day, I drive a car not a dealer. I would rather drive a first rate car, than a first rate dealer. Ideally I'd like to have both. I think the q50 hybrid is going to be serious competition for whatever acura produces as its TLx.
True enough about the delaership.

As for the Q50, that all depends on if one likes the looks of Infiniti's. I, for one, do not. No mater how nice they are inside, the skin turns me off.. being a visual creature and all that. Millions of people love them, obviously. I'd lean towards Lexus before Infiniti when it comes to styling.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:51 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by TL Dawg
According to vtec.net, we're going to have to wait a little while longer on the TLX!

From TOV....

"TL 2014 will be the final model year of the TL nameplate. It will be replaced next year by an all new version, fortified with an extra "X" on the decklid. It's not clear what the "X" will bring (apart from its untold marketing powers), but water cooler talk suggests that the TLX will essentially bridge the gap between the departing TSX and TL models, which will hopefully enable it to recapture some of the lithe responsiveness that escapes the current TL. Expect Earth Dreams powertrains and lots of technology
Summary: No major changes for 2014
Watch For: All new 2015 TLX coming next year.
Available: Autumn"

They must mean Autumn 2014. If this is the case I will already be gone. I have to believe the TLX will be out early next year. Still longer than I hoped but I can wait. Autumn 2014 and I will be driving a new IS or Q50. Probably the IS with cooled seats and split folding rear seats.
Old 05-11-2013, 11:20 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocket_man
From TOV....

"TL 2014 will be the final model year of the TL nameplate. It will be replaced next year by an all new version, fortified with an extra "X" on the decklid. It's not clear what the "X" will bring (apart from its untold marketing powers), but water cooler talk suggests that the TLX will essentially bridge the gap between the departing TSX and TL models, which will hopefully enable it to recapture some of the lithe responsiveness that escapes the current TL. Expect Earth Dreams powertrains and lots of technology

They must mean Autumn 2014. If this is the case I will already be gone. I have to believe the TLX will be out early next year. Still longer than I hoped but I can wait. Autumn 2014 and I will be driving a new IS or Q50. Probably the IS with cooled seats and split folding rear seats.
The management at Acura (ie Honda co) are just completely incompetent and should be let go. The TL went from sales north of 6K a month for the 3G to consistently low 2K or less a month. The design for the 4G was utterly atrocious. The revised grille makes the car palatable. The RLX is underwhelming and is only in a FWD option for mid size luxury segment!

I just don't understand what is going on with Acura if they wait to come out with the TLX in autumn 2014. The competition is killer in the entry level and mid size luxury segment. The Europeans are eating everyone's lunch.

The Japanese brands are faltering. I don't like the design of the the IS or GS from Lexus. The Infiniti M (and it's Q replacement) also looks funny (not in a good way). My next car will be a German (Audi or BMW). Heck I'd take a VW over the Japanese at this rate if I want to stay in the upscale market.
Old 05-11-2013, 11:28 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by JAB00
The management at Acura (ie Honda co) are just completely incompetent and should be let go. The TL went from sales north of 6K a month for the 3G to consistently low 2K or less a month. The design for the 4G was utterly atrocious. The revised grille makes the car palatable. The RLX is underwhelming and is only in a FWD option for mid size luxury segment!

I just don't understand what is going on with Acura if they wait to come out with the TLX in autumn 2014. The competition is killer in the entry level and mid size luxury segment. The Europeans are eating everyone's lunch.

The Japanese brands are faltering. I don't like the design of the the IS or GS from Lexus. The Infiniti M (and it's Q replacement) also looks funny (not in a good way). My next car will be a German (Audi or BMW). Heck I'd take a VW over the Japanese at this rate if I want to stay in the upscale market.
Wow, harsh.. way too harsh.

The segment the TL is in is very competitive, as most segments are. Acura is killing them with the MDX. I think they are just feel okay sitting where they in the market. Honda is selling very well. Who knows what is in the minds heads of Acura.

I like knowing I am driving a car that rates very high in resale, in quality and safety and has awesome and very unique looks.

You can drive a lemming mobile or stand out in the crowd, your choice.
Old 05-11-2013, 01:18 PM
Proud Acura Owner

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by JAB00

ok you're on some good German Kool-Aid..

first of all, the new IS and GS are GORGEOUS cars.. the Q50 looks amazing, not sure about the q70(M). Audi and BMW I understand, but saying you'd rather get a VW over a a Japanese car is just stupid. VW's are a poor man's audi.

and on the TL topic, the sales have dropped from 3G, but it sells good enough along with the MDX. the TLX will be an awesome car.
Old 05-11-2013, 01:54 PM
Suzuka Master

From TOV....

They mean Autumn for the 2014 TL, not the TLX. Makes sense since TLX will not likely be out until March so they don't want to try and sell 13 TLs in January
Old 05-11-2013, 08:07 PM
Suzuka Master

Hi guys, I am not sure on many of you also browse TOV but I read this post from a very credible contributor on their site:

HONDAFVM: "Not sure where you are getting your information, but you might need to check it again, it is not valid............You will see test mules soon........very soon.......They are keeping this car WELL under the line.........This car will not be some offset of the current car.......it will be pleasantly surprising to ones eye and right foot......."

This is exciting...maybe there is hope after all....
Stew4HD (05-12-2013)
Old 05-11-2013, 09:19 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
Originally Posted by TL Dawg

I think that's pretty much what everyone on here has been hearing lately. I think everything we've been reading lately on here has been it'll be a spring-to-summer of 2014 release of a 2015 model.
Old 05-11-2013, 09:32 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,143 Likes on 817 Posts
On the bright side, all those who own a 4G TL will get one extra year of "current-model" life, before the car starts to depreciate sharply due to exterior styling change.
Old 05-12-2013, 12:13 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by KeithL
They mean Autumn for the 2014 TL, not the TLX. Makes sense since TLX will not likely be out until March so they don't want to try and sell 13 TLs in January
Ah... that makes more sense... thanks.

Hi guys, I am not sure on many of you also browse TOV but I read this post from a very credible contributor on their site:

HONDAFVM: "Not sure where you are getting your information, but you might need to check it again, it is not valid............You will see test mules soon........very soon.......They are keeping this car WELL under the line.........This car will not be some offset of the current car.......it will be pleasantly surprising to ones eye and right foot......."

This is exciting...maybe there is hope after all....
I surely hope this is the case.

The new IS takes a little to get used to. I saw it in person at a car show and it looked a lot better in person than some of the pictures you see on the interwebs. I like the features and the pricing has been announced and it is in the right range. Production has already begun. The biggest drawback to this car is the old engine. Lexus did not update the small V6 or the larger V6. The 350 comes with a new transmission, but the drive train is dated. But for a reasonable cost I can get a nice car, handles well, rear wheel drive, features I want (cooled seats and split folding rear seats to name a few), I just have to put up with an older engine with okay FE. The Q50 is beautiful, but to option it up gets expensive and you can't get cooled/ventilated seats. But it is still on my short list.

Whatever the TLX becomes it will already have an established competition and will be late to the party. It better not disappoint. Funny thing when I go visit on the Lexus and Q50 forums they don't even talk about the TL as in the same segment. There are some real Lexus and Infiniti kool-aid drinkers there.
Old 05-12-2013, 08:20 AM
Burning Brakes

I surely hope this is the case.

The new IS takes a little to get used to. I saw it in person at a car show and it looked a lot better in person than some of the pictures you see on the interwebs. I like the features and the pricing has been announced and it is in the right range. Production has already begun. The biggest drawback to this car is the old engine. Lexus did not update the small V6 or the larger V6. The 350 comes with a new transmission, but the drive train is dated. But for a reasonable cost I can get a nice car, handles well, rear wheel drive, features I want (cooled seats and split folding rear seats to name a few), I just have to put up with an older engine with okay FE. The Q50 is beautiful, but to option it up gets expensive and you can't get cooled/ventilated seats. But it is still on my short list.

Whatever the TLX becomes it will already have an established competition and will be late to the party. It better not disappoint. Funny thing when I go visit on the Lexus and Q50 forums they don't even talk about the TL as in the same segment. There are some real Lexus and Infiniti kool-aid drinkers there.
While nobody I know has test driven the Q50, from the specs it has leap-frogged the TL. Acura knows how to pack whiz-bang features into it's cars so I'm sure the TL will have a bunch of new goodies as well.
Old 05-12-2013, 09:03 AM
Suzuka Master

While nobody I know has test driven the Q50, from the specs it has leap-frogged the TL. Acura knows how to pack whiz-bang features into it's cars so I'm sure the TL will have a bunch of new goodies as well.
I have to admit, after looking at the Q50 on the Infiniti site, it's looking good. It's less bubble shaped.

No cooled front seats? I love that feature in my TL. The harsh summers here make that a must... after having had it, that is.
Old 05-12-2013, 09:38 AM
Burning Brakes

I have to admit, after looking at the Q50 on the Infiniti site, it's looking good. It's less bubble shaped.

No cooled front seats? I love that feature in my TL. The harsh summers here make that a must... after having had it, that is.
I was in Phoenix the temp was 115. I rented a CTS with cooled seats and actually really disliked them. So for me it's not a big deal not to have cooled seats.
Old 05-12-2013, 10:34 AM
Suzuka Master

My M has cooled seats and honestly I forgot to use them at all last summer, I have tinted windows and keep the interior comfortable while driving so it is rarely an issue for me.
Old 05-12-2013, 10:50 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love my 08 tls and she's a keeper! I just wished Acura didn't go so far off that gen...don't get me wrong, I like the 4g's too but it's that front end that's saying no.
Old 05-12-2013, 11:43 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by DefkevsAU7
..don't get me wrong, I like the 4g's too but it's that front end that's saying no.
Funny how everyone has different perception of the car. For me, I love the front of the 4G, especially after the MMC. To me, its the rear of the car that I least like on the car, and most of my dislike revolves around the tail lights.
Old 05-12-2013, 12:30 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,143 Likes on 817 Posts

The biggest drawback to this car is the old engine. Lexus did not update the small V6 or the larger V6. The 350 comes with a new transmission, but the drive train is dated. But for a reasonable cost I can get a nice car, handles well, rear wheel drive, features I want (cooled seats and split folding rear seats to name a few), I just have to put up with an older engine with okay FE. The Q50 is beautiful, but to option it up gets expensive and you can't get cooled/ventilated seats. But it is still on my short list.

Even though there's no update to the Lexus 3.5L-V6, it's still considered state-of-the-art, especially when compared to the Acura V6 motors.

The Lexus 3.5L-V6 motor has DI, VVT-i, and output an impressive 306hp.

The latest 3.7L-V6 from Acura has 200cc more displacement, but can only generate 305hp, which Lexus can achieve with a smaller motor.

Even the brand new Acura 3.5L-V6 with DI and i-VTEC, that was debut 2 months ago, manages to generate 4 more hp than the "dated" Lexus 3.5L unit.

So, the "dated" Lexus 3.5L motor is very well still up to the task.

It's Acura's engine technology that is falling behind the industry.
Old 05-12-2013, 12:50 PM
Suzuka Master

I love my 08 tls and she's a keeper! I just wished Acura didn't go so far off that gen...don't get me wrong, I like the 4g's too but it's that front end that's saying no.
I loved my 3G Type-S and if they had the current ELS in it I would have kept it longer.
Old 05-12-2013, 12:56 PM
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
Even though there's no update to the Lexus 3.5L-V6, it's still considered state-of-the-art, especially when compared to the Acura V6 motors.

The Lexus 3.5L-V6 motor has DI, VVT-i, and output an impressive 306hp.

The latest 3.7L-V6 from Acura has 200cc more displacement, but can only generate 305hp, which Lexus can achieve with a smaller motor.

Even the brand new Acura 3.5L-V6 with DI and i-VTEC, that was debut 2 months ago, manages to generate 4 more hp than the "dated" Lexus 3.5L unit.

So, the "dated" Lexus 3.5L motor is very well still up to the task.

It's Acura's engine technology that is falling behind the industry.
Lets not forget how far behind Acura is with their dated Transmissions!
Old 05-12-2013, 01:14 PM
Scott

Received 156 Likes on 151 Posts
So there will be 1 more production year of the 4G TL? It will be a 2014 TL out this fall, with the new TLX being a 2015 model due out spring or summer of 2014?

OK - do I have this correct, or am I confused?
Old 05-12-2013, 03:22 PM
Suzuka Master

^^^ You seem to have it correctly. Of course, Acura could throw us a curve ball but, the way you stated it, is exactly how I understand it will unfold...
Old 05-12-2013, 04:08 PM
Suzuka Master

I was in Phoenix the temp was 115. I rented a CTS with cooled seats and actually really disliked them. So for me it's not a big deal not to have cooled seats.
I use my vented seated almost everyday in the summer.. have had them on a few times already this year.

I was just surprise the Q50 doesn't have them, is all.
Old 05-12-2013, 05:36 PM
Banned

I loved my 3G Type-S and if they had the current ELS in it I would have kept it longer.
Wow! They were going like hot cakes! 7 TL's in 7-9 years? What's ELS? Nice M37...Hopefully Acura can make the 5G a car that people will come back too!
Old 05-12-2013, 06:25 PM
Burning Brakes

I use my vented seated almost everyday in the summer.. have had them on a few times already this year.

I was just surprise the Q50 doesn't have them, is all.
Totally got your point. To me it's a big meh. I'm surprised infiniti didn't update the audio seeing how a lot of folks do not seem to like the Bose. In the scheme of things audio>cooled seats at least for me.
Old 05-12-2013, 06:27 PM
Suzuka Master

Wow! They were going like hot cakes! 7 TL's in 7-9 years? What's ELS? Nice M37...Hopefully Acura can make the 5G a car that people will come back too!
ELS is the sound system, I am into good audio and the sound quality in the 3G ELS was good, it was sadly underpowered. I too am hoping they make a 5G that brings people back. Although lately I am looking at an Audi A6, trying to decide if that is a passing fad or serious consideration right now.
Old 05-12-2013, 06:41 PM
Suzuka Master

Totally got your point. To me it's a big meh. I'm surprised infiniti didn't update the audio seeing how a lot of folks do not seem to like the Bose. In the scheme of things audio>cooled seats at least for me.
The Bose in the Q50 is supposed to be updated and better than the current G. The Bose in the M is not bad, but still not in same league as ELS.
Old 05-12-2013, 06:51 PM
Banned

ELS is the sound system, I am into good audio and the sound quality in the 3G ELS was good, it was sadly underpowered. I too am hoping they make a 5G that brings people back. Although lately I am looking at an Audi A6, trying to decide if that is a passing fad or serious consideration right now.
What did it have in your 09 SH
Old 05-12-2013, 07:01 PM
Suzuka Master

What did it have in your 09 SH
The 09 SH had the current 440 watt ELS which was good, I just got sick of looking at the beak and the Palladium Metalic was an awful muted color. If they had the current silver moon for 09 I probably would have held that car until MMC or longer. Now I have been away from TL for 3 years so I am not convinced imam coming back. Might do another M or maybe an A6.
Old 05-12-2013, 07:18 PM
Suzuka Master

I do absolutely love the ELS in my advanced. I really enjoy the DVD-A as well. I hope Acura keeps that capability in the 5G
Old 05-12-2013, 07:22 PM
Suzuka Master

Well if RLX is any indication I expect they will at least offer ELS Studio in the 5G. Maybe even Krell, but the Krell does not have DVD-A.
Old 05-12-2013, 07:26 PM
Suzuka Master

^^ I would love to see the Krell available in the higher trim TLX too.....I am a big audio guy and would love to experience it. Don't get me wrong, I think the ELS system is quite amazing but if Krell is even better, then sign me up. I have yet to hear the Krell option as the RLX is not released yet in Canada.....
Old 05-12-2013, 07:43 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by TheAspec
I think we will know more in about 6 weeks. The all new MDX started coming off the production line in Alabama last week and it's said to start landing on dealer lots in the coming weeks.

I believe once the 2014 MDX is on the ground we'll see Acura put the TLX up as the "future vehicles" on the main web site and start getting details soon after.

The MDX is a bread and butter vehicle for Acura and they don't want another model steeling it's spotlight.
Too soon, I don't expect to see that on the web site until at lease late this year.

Quick Reply: When do you think the next gen TL (TLX) will be released?