When do you think the next gen TL (TLX) will be released?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 07:23 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Glashub
Oh please no 9 speed. I have an 8 speed and although smooth it does not cut it for performance needs. Read its true with the Germans too. The more gears the more confused the tranny becomes with anything but normal acceleration.

Sooooooooo true, I have a 2011 535i with the 8 speed and this is exactly how it feels. I regret ever letting my 07 Type-S go. If the new TLX is anything like the Type-S, I'll trade in a heartbeat.
Old 05-31-2013, 01:45 PM
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by George Knighton
I dunno.

But it seems encouraging to me, considering that the base J Motor with the direct injection head is already 310 HP.

The electric motor SH-AWD predictions are coming in at 360 HP to 420 HP, and it'd be incredible if they offered the electric AWD enhancement to an Accord-sized sedan with sporty driving potential.

Having a great time with my 305 HP SH-AWD 6-6, so even if the published HP isn't a huge improvement, I might still be interested.

I liked the idea of the RLX AWD...but as the details develop I'm no longer sure.

I might wait for this new TLX.

If anything, the TLX will match the engine and MPG as the 2014 MDX, since the current MDX carries the same engine as the TL SHAWD. If this is the case, it looks like a drop in MPG, especially for SHAWD models.

http://wot.motortrend.com/2014-acura...#axzz2UtgySqom

Says all MDX models will carry the new 290 HP 3.5 liter. I interpret this to include FWD and RWD models.

haven't read through all of it yet. Sorry if I'm bringing up re-post.
Old 05-31-2013, 03:23 PM
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts
^^ Sorry to confuse, meant to say HP instead of MPG in my reply above. And to say a drop in HP for SHAWD models. And to say FWD and AWD models.

... I'm not really sure what happened there in my reply.
Old 05-31-2013, 03:56 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
I wonder if they are trying to further clear the haze between models, the RL was out done by the 4G TL, so by making more differences they can clearly show why the RLX gets the price tag it has.
Old 05-31-2013, 09:55 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Explains delay announcing TLX and NSX_OH factory HMC

http://seekingalpha.com/currents/pos...rt_mc_readmore
Article states new $70 million factory OH
Honda (HMC) will build a ¥6.65B ($70M) plant in Ohio to help it mass produce its New Acura...
apologies if already posted

Wednesday, May 15, 8:36 AM ET
Old 06-01-2013, 07:19 PM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
I think the TL is already built at Ohio, the new factor is probably just for the NSX.
Old 06-01-2013, 08:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
^^ I doubt many NSX will be built and would doubt that they can talk "mass production" and NSX in the same sentence
Old 06-01-2013, 09:35 PM
Suzuka Master

The TL is built in Ohio.
Old 06-01-2013, 10:17 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was at the dealer today and they said its 1.5yrs out.
Old 06-02-2013, 12:27 AM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,143 Likes on 817 Posts
^^^^^

That's sound about right.

The 5G TL is always said to be one year late to the market.
Old 06-03-2013, 01:48 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by longshadow
Hopefully they were telling you that so you wouldn't think to wait to buy one instead of a current TL. If Acura takes that long getting the TLX to market it will be ugly for them.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:51 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by longshadow
I agree with most, waiting to release the TLX in the fall of 2014 as a 2015 model year will be a huge mistake in my opinion. Spring/Early summer of 2014 is the latest that the TLX must be out UNLESS they do such an amazing design and technology, which quite honestly, can't see happen.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:13 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by weather
I agree with most, waiting to release the TLX in the fall of 2014 as a 2015 model year will be a huge mistake in my opinion. Spring/Early summer of 2014 is the latest that the TLX must be out UNLESS they do such an amazing design and technology, which quite honestly, can't see happen.
Just curious as to how the general public will care when the TLX comes out? Quite a few on AZ care but truly, I doubt seriously that John Q. Public is wondering when Acura will bring out he new TL(X).

I am just saying that I don't think them waiting until fall will make or break Acura, as long as they come out with the RIGHT car.
My
The following users liked this post:
TeamAcura (06-06-2013)
Old 06-03-2013, 08:23 PM
Suzuka Master

^^ I agree that getting the car "right" is a must and should be the priority with Acura but the market share is very small and Acura can't afford to lose potential Acura owners to Lexus, Infiniti or other brand. Many people are on 3-4 year cycles when it comes to trading their vehicles (myself included)....I am very fond of the Acura brand (but mostly my dealer) but that being said, when the itch for the new car happens next spring, I doubt that I will be able to hold off until another year. I know I am just a small portion of the Acura profits but every sales count, and losing repeating customers can hurt Acura in the long run. I agree that waiting a few months will not drive them to bankruptcy, but that being said, it may make them vulnerable to losing valuable customers.

but you are correct, the TLX must be a hit! We can't see another dismal performance as with the RLX currently happening.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:26 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Rocket_man
Hopefully they were telling you that so you wouldn't think to wait to buy one instead of a current TL. If Acura takes that long getting the TLX to market it will be ugly for them.
Not sure, but I saw another reference to summer 14 release in some article I was reading online today as well.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:24 PM
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts
The following is from the June 3rd edition of Automotive News. In the article there are some comments about the TL. AN is a trade publication for auto dealers.

LOS ANGELES -- The future of Acura's TSX appears uncertain as Honda Motor prepares to abandon the platform used for the compact sedan.

Acura boss Jeff Conrad says the TSX will remain in the lineup "for the foreseeable future." But when Acura moved into the entry-luxury segment with the ILX last year it jammed up its sedan lineup -- both in terms of vehicle sizes and pricing ladders.

The ILX and aging TSX are positioned close to each other, as are the TSX and mid-sized TL. The RLX has grown slightly to distance itself from comparisons to the TL, but not by much.

Product plans elsewhere within Honda Motor may force Acura's hand.

The TSX is based on the aged smaller Honda Accord platform used in Japan and Europe. The U.S. Accord traditionally has been larger and has been the basis for the Acura TL.

But the Accord that debuted in the United States last year is on a new global platform that is sized for the U.S. Accord, rather than the Japanese and European market versions.

The British magazine Autocar reported that slow Accord sales in Europe won't justify a new model or allow Honda to keep the old platform. That makes the TSX a car without a donor platform.

Also, the TL is being redesigned for a summer 2014 launch, and a Honda Motor source said that it will be made smaller to make room for the flagship RLX, which is priced $12,500 higher. But that would put the TL right on top of the TSX in terms of size.

Read more: http://www.autonews.com/article/2013...#ixzz2VDZR8NKE
Follow us: @Automotive_News on Twitter | AutoNews on Facebook
Old 06-04-2013, 05:25 AM
Summer is Coming

Originally Posted by Stew4HD
Just curious as to how the general public will care when the TLX comes out? Quite a few on AZ care but truly, I doubt seriously that John Q. Public is wondering when Acura will bring out he new TL(X).

I am just saying that I don't think them waiting until fall will make or break Acura, as long as they come out with the RIGHT car.
My
The problem will be when John Q Public goes car shopping they will find a lot of cars that offer a lot more modern features than the TL or TSX does. Also these new cars have that new-car desire and the TL/TSX feel dated. If they were only waiting until the Fall of this year it will only be 'bad.' But it sounds like it will be at least a year until the TLX will be out. That will be roughly one year after the new Q50, IS, and soon the Genesis have had a chance to establish themselves in the market place. Heck they may even have 2nd year cars out by then.

And for us enthusiast, the experience with the ILX and RLX make it increasingly obvious that the TLX is not going to be that home-run car the Acura needs. They made a 1st year adjustment to the ILX and will have to do the same with the RLX. So I wouldn't count on them getting the TLX right the first year.

Acura is going to look like an SUV company with the RDX and likely the new MDX both selling well. They just can't seem to make a sedan that is compelling.
Old 06-04-2013, 05:31 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Recently removed from my short list is the new 3-series. We drove one a few weeks ago and the seats were crap. I just could not get comfortable and there were practically no side bolsters.
Agree the base seats are not for spirited driving.

Did you drive one with the sport seats? Deep side bolsters that are power adjustible as is the lumbar suport which moves up & down as well as softer/harder. Has all the rest of the normal adjustments in addition to an extendable thigh support. This is my 3 series the 1 series is the same in black

Some people like German interiors & for some they are too plain but the sport seats are excellent at keeping you in place.
Attached Thumbnails When do you think the next gen TL (TLX) will be released?-bearsseat.jpg   When do you think the next gen TL (TLX) will be released?-bearseat1.jpg  

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 06-04-2013 at 05:41 AM.
Old 06-04-2013, 06:27 AM
Suzuka Master

I was rather shocked they did not up the engine in the ILX, I can only guess they did not want to kill the TSX just yet. When the TSX goes if they doe not have a 2.4 200HP engine in the ILX Tech then that car will never be a success.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:30 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by KeithL
I was rather shocked they did not up the engine in the ILX, I can only guess they did not want to kill the TSX just yet. When the TSX goes if they doe not have a 2.4 200HP engine in the ILX Tech then that car will never be a success.
I agree as well...The ILX needs that 2.4L engine in the automatic as well. There might be a limited space under the hood that prevents them from putting the auto/2.4L together. If there is no such problem, then Acura leadership is very dumb for choosing to favor a dying model at the expense of an emerging and struggling model. I am not saying the ILX is better than the TSX or vice versa but we all know that the ILX is to eventually replace the TSX so if its going to happen, and the ILX is not meeting its target because of a poor drivetrain combo, then you get that combo right mister, or else....
Old 06-04-2013, 10:39 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by weather
I agree as well...The ILX needs that 2.4L engine in the automatic as well. There might be a limited space under the hood that prevents them from putting the auto/2.4L together. If there is no such problem, then Acura leadership is very dumb for choosing to favor a dying model at the expense of an emerging and struggling model. I am not saying the ILX is better than the TSX or vice versa but we all know that the ILX is to eventually replace the TSX so if its going to happen, and the ILX is not meeting its target because of a poor drivetrain combo, then you get that combo right mister, or else....
The 2.4 K24 fits in the current gen honda civic si... not sure why it wouldn't fit in the bigger ILX...

Problem with the ILX is they completely neutered the car from its concept pics, took away all the aggressiveness and left it looking soft and rounded like a civic sedan...

It comes down to looks... You can buy mass produced models from ford, vw, nissan, honda, etc... that have nice tech and pretty decent interior fitout... The gap between those cars and entry level luxury cars has been squeezed. BMW built sexier cars with the e46, e90, so they won... I don't think it was about performance. Came down to looks... MB redid the E class and really made the C class more aggressive looking and think they are doing well because of it.
Old 06-04-2013, 04:20 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
The problem will be when John Q Public goes car shopping they will find a lot of cars that offer a lot more modern features than the TL or TSX does. Also these new cars have that new-car desire and the TL/TSX feel dated. If they were only waiting until the Fall of this year it will only be 'bad.' But it sounds like it will be at least a year until the TLX will be out. That will be roughly one year after the new Q50, IS, and soon the Genesis have had a chance to establish themselves in the market place. Heck they may even have 2nd year cars out by then.

And for us enthusiast, the experience with the ILX and RLX make it increasingly obvious that the TLX is not going to be that home-run car the Acura needs. They made a 1st year adjustment to the ILX and will have to do the same with the RLX. So I wouldn't count on them getting the TLX right the first year.

Acura is going to look like an SUV company with the RDX and likely the new MDX both selling well. They just can't seem to make a sedan that is compelling.
The same can be said by Lexus, Infiniti, Audi, MB, BMW.. they are all competing for our $$.. whatever the flavor of the day is.. right now it seems to be BMW.. for whatever reason.. status by many, I guess
Old 06-04-2013, 09:50 PM
Suzuka Master

They need to step up to FI for the ILX Acura version to give it power separation from the Civic. The 2356CC is about as big a displacement as you want to take a 4 cylinder engine but 201 crank hp & 170ftlbs of torque is not enough to say "baby luxury" car.

The BMWS I4 is only 1997CC but develops 240 crank HP with 255ftlbs of torque & is very much under stressed. A JB4 tune will bring that up to about 300 crank HP or 264whp on premium gas.

The EPA ratings "your results may vary" are ILX 22/31 - 328i 22/34 so that is not an issue
Old 06-04-2013, 09:54 PM
Drifting

Received 416 Likes on 365 Posts
^^
300hp out of a 4banger with a tune alone? No need for supporting mods? Face palm if so.
Old 06-04-2013, 11:07 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by HeartTLs
^^
300hp out of a 4banger with a tune alone? No need for supporting mods? Face palm if so.
Don't smack to hard

264whp = 303hp at the crank & with 100 octane race fuel its 283whp = 325hp at the crank using the standard 15% crank to wheel correction factor.

Attached Thumbnails When do you think the next gen TL (TLX) will be released?-328i_dyno.jpg   When do you think the next gen TL (TLX) will be released?-n20_qtr_mile.jpg  

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 06-04-2013 at 11:20 PM.
Old 06-04-2013, 11:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
264whp = 303hp at the crank & with 100 octane race fuel its 283whp = 325hp at the crank using the standard 15% crank to wheel correction factor.

Depends on drivetrain setup. FWD will be more efficient, obv AWD has the most shrinkage
Old 06-04-2013, 11:26 PM
Pro

Received 83 Likes on 50 Posts
Regarding the tendency to crank out more and more power from smaller and smaller engines using turbos or whatever--I would much prefer having a naturally aspirated 6 versus a hyper-tuned/turbo 4 cylinder. I just seems to me that you are really stressing the 4 and would get better longevity from the 6 imho.
Old 06-04-2013, 11:44 PM
Suzuka Master

I think anyone would be hard pressed to say the stock N20 engine is overstressed when a basic tune & no other mods can boost its output by 50 to 70 horsepower.

The 335 factory rated at a max of 340 horsepower have already dynoed at 700whp/800chp+ horsepower so it would seem BMW puts a lot of extra meat on the bones.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 06-04-2013 at 11:46 PM.
Old 06-04-2013, 11:47 PM
Summer is Coming

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Agree the base seats are not for spirited driving.

Did you drive one with the sport seats? Deep side bolsters that are power adjustible as is the lumbar suport which moves up & down as well as softer/harder. Has all the rest of the normal adjustments in addition to an extendable thigh support. This is my 3 series the 1 series is the same in black

Some people like German interiors & for some they are too plain but the sport seats are excellent at keeping you in place.
The only 3-series they had was a 'no-line' model with standard seats. However I think the sport seats are only available on the Sport Line trim. In earlier models you could get sports seats as an option. Apparently not the F30. Ashame really because this is still supposed to be the 'ultimate driving machine.' It looks like your 3-series is an E90. My E46 had sport seats (but not the sport package) and those seats were wonderful.

I did drive a 535 and those seats were fantastic. At $60K they better be! More than I want to spend on transportation but that was a nice car.
Old 06-04-2013, 11:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Booya4139
Depends on drivetrain setup. FWD will be more efficient, obv AWD has the most shrinkage
The 1/4 time & terminal speed support the basic math, but agree for FWD/AWD a different conversion factor would be used to estimate crank horsepower from a chassis dyno reading.
Old 06-04-2013, 11:53 PM
Summer is Coming

Originally Posted by Stew4HD
The same can be said by Lexus, Infiniti, Audi, MB, BMW.. they are all competing for our $$.. whatever the flavor of the day is.. right now it seems to be BMW.. for whatever reason.. status by many, I guess
But that is exactly my point... Lexus, Infiniti, MB all coming out with new cars apparently one year or more before the TLX. BMW has a pretty good hit with their new 3-series. Acura will not be competitive (the flavor of the day) without price reductions for another year +.
Old 06-05-2013, 12:34 AM
Suzuka Master

The only 3-series they had was a 'no-line' model with standard seats. However I think the sport seats are only available on the Sport Line trim. In earlier models you could get sports seats as an option. Apparently not the F30. Ashame really because this is still supposed to be the 'ultimate driving machine.' It looks like your 3-series is an E90. My E46 had sport seats (but not the sport package) and those seats were wonderful.

I did drive a 535 and those seats were fantastic. At $60K they better be! More than I want to spend on transportation but that was a nice car.
Yes mine are an E92 & E88. Both have the same 10 way sports seats. The 2013's all have at least 8 way powered seats. So it looks like the IS, M-Sport & Sport have the sports seats.

I was pretty sure on the F series that the basic seats were bolstered but the bolsters were not adjustable or as deep as the sport seats. Guess that make the base, price beater car, the semi-ultimate driving machine.
Old 06-05-2013, 01:42 AM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,143 Likes on 817 Posts
But Honda auto trannies are notorious for robbing usable hp to the driving wheels.
Old 06-05-2013, 12:13 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts
my friend worked at acura said the new tlx will come out in 2015 and i think he's bs-ing
Old 06-05-2013, 12:28 PM
Suzuka Master

.. AWD has the most shrinkage
I felt so much better reading this...for once, something has more shrinkage than me *LMAO*
Old 06-05-2013, 06:41 PM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts
Still no peeps on the TLX. I don't think this is good news IMHO.

I remember 1+ year before the 4G TL 6MT was released, it was already getting press releases and sneak peaks as Acura and mags had it pitted against the S4, 335, G35...

An AZ mentioned this before: if there is something worthy and exciting of a new release, we'll see cameos and reports WELL before it is released, as Acura would want buyers to wait before buying the competitor so the buyer could buy Acura's product. Think the upcoming NSX (not that the new TLX is in the same category as the NSX); 2-3 years before its slated release and its getting a lot of press, excitement, and teaser images.

If the upcoming and new release has nothing new exciting, Acura won't release any teasers well before its scheduled release, as Acura believe this "new" model has little-nothing to offer compared to its current release, and would not want this release to impinge on its current models.

Above thinking makes sense to me. Hope I'm wrong though, for the TLX's sake... esp since its rumored to have a 2014 release and its already 2013 and not a SINGLE peep.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:58 PM
Suzuka Master

There is always a chance they wanted to wait on the competition and feedback from the RLX. If the RLX tanks, then they have more liberty with thr TLX without worrying about taking sales from the RLX. if the RLX does well they may hold back some not to hurt the RLX the way th 4G TL hurt the RL.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:04 PM
Scott

Received 156 Likes on 151 Posts
Keith - do you feel the market is bigger for TL/TLX buyers.........

Or a bigger market for the new RLX buyers.
I would think Acura will sell a lot more TL/TLX cars - then the more pricey RLX??
Old 06-05-2013, 07:22 PM
Suzuka Master

TLX is bigger market, but Acura caught a lot of flak when the 4G TL came put because is had more HP and was as big or bigger ( especially when you looked at them) than the RL. The RLX is off to a weak start and I suspect they will never sell more than 500 per month where if the TLX is a home run it has the potential to sell 3-4K units or more a month. The TL in its 3G prime was selling more than 70K cars a year.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:33 PM
Scott

Received 156 Likes on 151 Posts
If the RLX is off to a weak start - Acura needs to get moving on the release date of the 5G.

I say next spring is going to be better then next summer for potential buyers. Now the question is.....will Acura sell many 2014 4G TL's if there is a for sure release date of the 5G TLX?

Last edited by LawnPro; 06-05-2013 at 07:35 PM.

Quick Reply: When do you think the next gen TL (TLX) will be released?