Rear Clunking noises over bumps - AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community



Rear Clunking noises over bumps

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-10-2018, 05:05 PM   #1
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Age: 28
Posts: 22
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rear Clunking noises over bumps

Hey Team Azine,

Iím really enjoying the new ride which is a new to me 2012 Advance comming from an 06 TL the 4g is a different animal. Just finished up some mini repairs on it that were bugging me since I got the car in August. ATF filter was change so no more gurgling on start just fixed the light bleed from the 3rd brake light cover by using weatherstripping. Also drilled out the front LED covers for more lighting.

Since I got the car I noticed some light clunking from the rear over small road imperfections going at low speed. They seem to quite down the faster I go. This winter the noises started to get especially loud during temps below freezing. It almost sounds like link ends or blown shocks. I raised the car and everything on the rear suspension seemed super tight and no leaking from the shocks. The noise seems to be comming from inside the car and itís on both sides. Iím thinking itís either the shocks or rear strut mounts. I only have 55k miles. I do not want to start ripping apart the back seat for nothing. Has anyone been able to successfully diagnose and fix this issue? Part of me just wants to order new KYB rear struts and mounts and have them changed but not sure if this will fix the problem. Anyone who can chime in ???
MOBB212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 01:51 PM   #2
Moderator
iTrader: (1)
 
justnspace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 76,482
Thanked 13,417 Times in 9,934 Posts
clunks and squeaks are the hardest to diagnose because the whole car is made out of metal.
and the only way to find or figure out where the noise IS exactly coming from is tearing down the car.
We certainly cannot tear down the car from over the internet, so it will be up to you to isolate where the noise is coming from and potentially solving it...Because it could be a case-to-case basis, in which we woudn't have any input anyway.
justnspace is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to justnspace For This Useful Post:
MOBB212 (02-13-2018)
Old 02-13-2018, 01:33 AM   #3
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Age: 34
Posts: 11
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOBB212 View Post
Hey Team Azine,

Iím really enjoying the new ride which is a new to me 2012 Advance comming from an 06 TL the 4g is a different animal. Just finished up some mini repairs on it that were bugging me since I got the car in August. ATF filter was change so no more gurgling on start just fixed the light bleed from the 3rd brake light cover by using weatherstripping. Also drilled out the front LED covers for more lighting.

Since I got the car I noticed some light clunking from the rear over small road imperfections going at low speed. They seem to quite down the faster I go. This winter the noises started to get especially loud during temps below freezing. It almost sounds like link ends or blown shocks. I raised the car and everything on the rear suspension seemed super tight and no leaking from the shocks. The noise seems to be comming from inside the car and itís on both sides. Iím thinking itís either the shocks or rear strut mounts. I only have 55k miles. I do not want to start ripping apart the back seat for nothing. Has anyone been able to successfully diagnose and fix this issue? Part of me just wants to order new KYB rear struts and mounts and have them changed but not sure if this will fix the problem. Anyone who can chime in ???
Back in 2014 i bought a 2012 FWD TL which had this noise. The dealer replaced the back struts (if I remembr correctly) because of that. Now I have a 2013 TL AWD and it has exactly the same noise. That leads me to believe there may be something with the design of the rear suspension and it's common. I may be wrong though.
Mina_Bekhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 09:28 AM   #4
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Age: 28
Posts: 22
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mina_Bekhit View Post
Back in 2014 i bought a 2012 FWD TL which had this noise. The dealer replaced the back struts (if I remembr correctly) because of that. Now I have a 2013 TL AWD and it has exactly the same noise. That leads me to believe there may be something with the design of the rear suspension and it's common. I may be wrong though.

I've been hearing the same. Did changing the struts completely get rid of the noise?
MOBB212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 10:27 AM   #5
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Age: 34
Posts: 11
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOBB212 View Post
I've been hearing the same. Did changing the struts completely get rid of the noise?
yes.
Mina_Bekhit is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2012 TL AWD - Clunking noises over bumps pimpin-tl 4G TL Problems & Fixes 23 12-31-2014 04:32 PM
Clunking suspension over bumps illi adik 4G TL Tires, Wheels & Suspension 23 05-21-2014 09:33 AM
loud clunking while going over bumps and steering wheel turned. 1st timer 2G TL Problems & Fixes 3 05-08-2009 04:38 AM
Clunking noise over bumps in TL Type "S" S2000 GUY 3G TL Problems & Fixes 11 05-29-2007 02:47 PM
Rear makes loud noises when going over bumps Nitin Second Generation CL Discussion (2000-2003) 20 02-15-2002 08:23 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:12 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: