2012 TL AWD - Clunking noises over bumps

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 11:42 AM
Safety Car

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts
2012 TL AWD - Clunking noises over bumps

Okay I am getting really fed up with this issue. The car has done it since before my TEIN SS install and I was hoping that would have fixed it. Still does it. It does not do it on the passenger side when it hits bumps only the driver side. And it's not all bumps.

I have searched for days here and no one really gave an answer. Could be welds in the rear door seams, could be needing felt installed under driver seat (I have different rails on my 2012 vs the older ones, this won't work). Could be end links on the sway bar. (unsure if it';s the front or rear) as it is hard to narrow down. I think the rear but not sure.

I am unsure how to tell if it's the sway bar without disconnecting the end links which I plan to do soon when I get some time. But has anyone actually had this issue and resolved it? If so what is the actual fix? Any pictures of what the fix is?

Car only has 10k of miles.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:52 AM
Hot Ass!

Received 157 Likes on 124 Posts
Is the noise in the front, Russell?
Old 06-06-2013, 11:52 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by pimpin-tl
Okay I am getting really fed up with this issue. The car has done it since before my TEIN SS install and I was hoping that would have fixed it. Still does it. It does not do it on the passenger side when it hits bumps only the driver side. And it's not all bumps.

I have searched for days here and no one really gave an answer. Could be welds in the rear door seams, could be needing felt installed under driver seat (I have different rails on my 2012 vs the older ones, this won't work). Could be end links on the sway bar. (unsure if it';s the front or rear) as it is hard to narrow down. I think the rear but not sure.

I am unsure how to tell if it's the sway bar without disconnecting the end links which I plan to do soon when I get some time. But has anyone actually had this issue and resolved it? If so what is the actual fix? Any pictures of what the fix is?

Car only has 10k of miles.
I had issues with my drivers seat where It would squeak loudly over every bump. They ended up modifying the seat a bit to cure it.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:57 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Catfisha
Is the noise in the front, Russell?
It's either up front or the rear. Unsure as it sounds like its right under me.

Originally Posted by Stew4HD
I had issues with my drivers seat where It would squeak loudly over every bump. They ended up modifying the seat a bit to cure it.
Definitely not the seat, no noises. I hit it a bit too like some say when sitting in it to try and make the noise and no movement or noises.
Old 06-06-2013, 12:04 PM
Hot Ass!

Maybe we can figure it out this weekend since everyone's gonna be there...
The following users liked this post:
pimpin-tl (06-06-2013)
Old 06-06-2013, 12:08 PM
Safety Car

Maybe so! I am unsure what it is and the dealer will just try to blame the suspension.
Old 06-06-2013, 12:17 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
possible the upper control arm?
my TSX used to do sort of the same kinda noise over certain bumps.
replaced the UCA and fixed.
good luck man
Old 06-06-2013, 12:18 PM
Hot Ass!

Does it happen on speed bumps? If so, then we can have people watching and listening for what the problem is. I'm sure there are speed bumps in the parking lot of the hotel.
Old 06-06-2013, 01:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 64 Likes on 35 Posts
I have this issue as well. It seems to come from my rear passenger side. Its like a thump or clunk while going over uneven roads at speeds less than 30mph. The noise seems to lessen during hot days. I have replaced the strut on that corner of the car and it didn't help. I talked to a member who disconnected his sway bar, and the noise was still there. I think the noise is either in the suspension linkage or in the rear sub-frame.
Old 06-06-2013, 01:05 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Leebog
possible the upper control arm?
my TSX used to do sort of the same kinda noise over certain bumps.
replaced the UCA and fixed.
good luck man
No idea! Is there a way to check that?

Originally Posted by Catfisha
Does it happen on speed bumps? If so, then we can have people watching and listening for what the problem is. I'm sure there are speed bumps in the parking lot of the hotel.
Not on speed bumps at all. See probmxstyle response. My exact issue and the way it shows itself.

Originally Posted by probmxstyle
I have this issue as well. It seems to come from my rear passenger side. Its like a thump or clunk while going over uneven roads at speeds less than 30mph. The noise seems to lessen during hot days. I have replaced the strut on that corner of the car and it didn't help. I talked to a member who disconnected his sway bar, and the noise was still there. I think the noise is either in the suspension linkage or in the rear sub-frame.
This is exactly how mine shows itself. Uneven roads, bumps, clunk/thump noises. Like man holes do it if they stick up a hair. Not sure which part on the suspension you mean by linkage. All my strut housing was replaced including new camber/toe arms in the back.

---Lets try to keep this topic alive till we find a resolution for this. BEcause I see many in my searches are having this problem and not able to fix it.
Old 06-06-2013, 01:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 64 Likes on 35 Posts

Not on speed bumps at all. See probmxstyle response. My exact issue and the way it shows itself.

This is exactly how mine shows itself. Uneven roads, bumps, clunk/thump noises. Like man holes do it if they stick up a hair. Not sure which part on the suspension you mean by linkage. All my strut housing was replaced including new camber/toe arms in the back.

---Lets try to keep this topic alive till we find a resolution for this. BEcause I see many in my searches are having this problem and not able to fix it.
I mean the control arm linkage. It could also be the hub causing the noise. Acura is using a new rear sub-frame in this car that is supposed to isolate suspension noise from the cabin. I suspect it may be the culprit.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:25 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For free? no...I wish bro
it sounded like the shock was bottomming out on big bumps. Only on drivers side. Good luck man.
Old 06-15-2013, 08:03 AM
AcuraEnthusiast

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I'm getting the same noise from my driver front side. A couple of people have said it's the sway bar link. I jacked up the car and checked both right and left side.. definitely left side seems to be off from the right side. I'm looking to see if I can get it from the dealer and change it out myself today.

Left picture is right front.... right picture is left front. You can see the difference.
Attached Thumbnails 2012 TL AWD - Clunking noises over bumps-img_8114-medium-.jpg   2012 TL AWD - Clunking noises over bumps-img_8116-medium-.jpg  
Old 06-15-2013, 08:19 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by gtinmia
I'm getting the same noise from my driver front side. A couple of people have said it's the sway bar link. I jacked up the car and checked both right and left side.. definitely left side seems to be off from the right side. I'm looking to see if I can get it from the dealer and change it out myself today.

Left picture is right front.... right picture is left front. You can see the difference.
Please report back here what you find out. Mine also look like that but are solid and don't move.
Old 07-21-2013, 10:02 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have an 09 and have the same thing I think. When I hit a bump or pothole I hear like a thump/rattle sound from the driver front, but not sure if it's the wheel or the suspension. Have had the sound since bought car 3 yrs ago with 14,000mi on it.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:53 AM
AcuraEnthusiast

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Please report back here what you find out. Mine also look like that but are solid and don't move.
The issue with mine, was that the right side nut was very loose. Mechanic said it was a few turns from being completely off. After he tightened them, I no longer hear the noise. You can actually see it in the picture. There is a space in the first pic.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:50 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Originally Posted by probmxstyle
I mean the control arm linkage. It could also be the hub causing the noise. Acura is using a new rear sub-frame in this car that is supposed to isolate suspension noise from the cabin. I suspect it may be the culprit.
Or sway-bar end link.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:48 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by gtinmia
The issue with mine, was that the right side nut was very loose. Mechanic said it was a few turns from being completely off. After he tightened them, I no longer hear the noise. You can actually see it in the picture. There is a space in the first pic.
Was that on the front or rear? I know I have checked my fronts already but not the rears. Will have to check again soon.
Old 07-22-2013, 05:38 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr Marco
Or sway-bar end link.
Whoops I missed that pic from gtinama or whoever...but really, it's the end link.
Old 05-21-2014, 08:44 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the same issue. Driving out of my neighborhood daily over street cracks, and it sounds like a muted "pop" or thump. I only seem to hear it when driving below 40mph. Annoying as hell - never had a car that made that sort of sound over minor bumps. I've reported it twice to the dealer and they said everything under there (rear suspension) was tight. I had one of their loaner cars - same year TL as mine - and it made the same exact sound, so I agree with others that it may be a characteristic of the car. Frustrating.
Old 09-24-2014, 01:40 PM
8th Gear

I have the same issue on my 05 TL. I hear thumping noise from front right wheel area. I will check the sway bar link
Old 09-26-2014, 07:51 AM
'20 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec

Received 345 Likes on 253 Posts
If you get that clunking noise, check your sway bar links! Front and back, left and right.

I have the issue myself and noticed the nut was kinda loose and a bit bent. Almost like gtinmia's pics above.

A loose nut in the suspension components may be good enough for a global recall ?
Old 10-03-2014, 05:00 PM
8th Gear

My problem was with the motor mount - one of them was very bad. Replaced, and car is great again
Old 12-31-2014, 03:32 PM
Cruisin'

Update

Originally Posted by kepatton2064
I have the same issue. Driving out of my neighborhood daily over street cracks, and it sounds like a muted "pop" or thump. I only seem to hear it when driving below 40mph. Annoying as hell - never had a car that made that sort of sound over minor bumps. I've reported it twice to the dealer and they said everything under there (rear suspension) was tight. I had one of their loaner cars - same year TL as mine - and it made the same exact sound, so I agree with others that it may be a characteristic of the car. Frustrating.
UPDATE: Took back to the dealer with 25K miles. Clunk noise was getting worse. I made the technician get in the car to ride with me. He heard it too. Dealer ended up replacing BOTH rear struts under warranty. It is much improved now.