AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   4G TL Problems & Fixes (https://acurazine.com/forums/4g-tl-problems-fixes-297/)
-   -   Rear Clunking noises over bumps (https://acurazine.com/forums/4g-tl-problems-fixes-297/rear-clunking-noises-over-bumps-966979/)

MOBB212 02-10-2018 04:05 PM

Rear Clunking noises over bumps

Hey Team Azine,

I’m really enjoying the new ride which is a new to me 2012 Advance comming from an 06 TL the 4g is a different animal. Just finished up some mini repairs on it that were bugging me since I got the car in August. ATF filter was change so no more gurgling on start just fixed the light bleed from the 3rd brake light cover by using weatherstripping. Also drilled out the front LED covers for more lighting.

Since I got the car I noticed some light clunking from the rear over small road imperfections going at low speed. They seem to quite down the faster I go. This winter the noises started to get especially loud during temps below freezing. It almost sounds like link ends or blown shocks. I raised the car and everything on the rear suspension seemed super tight and no leaking from the shocks. The noise seems to be comming from inside the car and it’s on both sides. I’m thinking it’s either the shocks or rear strut mounts. I only have 55k miles. I do not want to start ripping apart the back seat for nothing. Has anyone been able to successfully diagnose and fix this issue? Part of me just wants to order new KYB rear struts and mounts and have them changed but not sure if this will fix the problem. Anyone who can chime in ???

justnspace 02-12-2018 12:51 PM

clunks and squeaks are the hardest to diagnose because the whole car is made out of metal.
and the only way to find or figure out where the noise IS exactly coming from is tearing down the car.
We certainly cannot tear down the car from over the internet, so it will be up to you to isolate where the noise is coming from and potentially solving it...Because it could be a case-to-case basis, in which we woudn't have any input anyway.

Mina_Bekhit 02-13-2018 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by MOBB212 (Post 16183185)
Hey Team Azine,

I’m really enjoying the new ride which is a new to me 2012 Advance comming from an 06 TL the 4g is a different animal. Just finished up some mini repairs on it that were bugging me since I got the car in August. ATF filter was change so no more gurgling on start just fixed the light bleed from the 3rd brake light cover by using weatherstripping. Also drilled out the front LED covers for more lighting.

Since I got the car I noticed some light clunking from the rear over small road imperfections going at low speed. They seem to quite down the faster I go. This winter the noises started to get especially loud during temps below freezing. It almost sounds like link ends or blown shocks. I raised the car and everything on the rear suspension seemed super tight and no leaking from the shocks. The noise seems to be comming from inside the car and it’s on both sides. I’m thinking it’s either the shocks or rear strut mounts. I only have 55k miles. I do not want to start ripping apart the back seat for nothing. Has anyone been able to successfully diagnose and fix this issue? Part of me just wants to order new KYB rear struts and mounts and have them changed but not sure if this will fix the problem. Anyone who can chime in ???

Back in 2014 i bought a 2012 FWD TL which had this noise. The dealer replaced the back struts (if I remembr correctly) because of that. Now I have a 2013 TL AWD and it has exactly the same noise. That leads me to believe there may be something with the design of the rear suspension and it's common. I may be wrong though.

MOBB212 02-13-2018 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by Mina_Bekhit (Post 16184243)
Back in 2014 i bought a 2012 FWD TL which had this noise. The dealer replaced the back struts (if I remembr correctly) because of that. Now I have a 2013 TL AWD and it has exactly the same noise. That leads me to believe there may be something with the design of the rear suspension and it's common. I may be wrong though.

I've been hearing the same. Did changing the struts completely get rid of the noise?

Mina_Bekhit 02-13-2018 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by MOBB212 (Post 16184322)
I've been hearing the same. Did changing the struts completely get rid of the noise?

yes.

kpsandiego 09-24-2018 10:20 PM

Mine is the parking brake. Lift the parking handle just a little up and drive over the bump. If no noise then adjust/put tension on your parking cable . If still noise them something else to look at