Ktuner- The first tuning solution for the 4G TL

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2017, 06:40 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by blackkramer
Well I got my tune today. I lost my job literally the day after I put ordered the v2 KTuner. The tune shop was awesome enough to cancel the order and do a custom tune for me without the v2, so I saved some needed cash and got a tune and flash anyways.

I got roughly 20whp gains. I have before and after dynos which I can post later when I am on my computer! I got mine done in Red Deer for any of you Alberta folks. Awesome shop and great people. I'm very happy that I went, car feels like it has more consistent pull now.
Whats the shops name that you went to?
Old 07-11-2017, 02:31 PM
Cruisin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Here is the Dyno. This run was done after letting the engine cool for about 20 min with fans on it. The run before this with a hot engine was about 275whp.

The tune was done by a group out of Red Deer called AFR Autoworks. The guy who did it, Adam, was awesome. The weather has been like torrential downpours every chance I get to take it out for a rip on my own, so I have not had a chance to see how well it pulls in areas that I have done it before (for a direct on-road comparison). However, it feels a lot smoother now, and it feels like it keeps pulling right to the red line now.
Attached Thumbnails Ktuner- The first tuning solution for the 4G TL-afr1.jpg  
Old 07-11-2017, 03:57 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here is the Dyno. This run was done after letting the engine cool for about 20 min with fans on it. The run before this with a hot engine was about 275whp.

The tune was done by a group out of Red Deer called AFR Autoworks. The guy who did it, Adam, was awesome. The weather has been like torrential downpours every chance I get to take it out for a rip on my own, so I have not had a chance to see how well it pulls in areas that I have done it before (for a direct on-road comparison). However, it feels a lot smoother now, and it feels like it keeps pulling right to the red line now.
u made 275whp?! I thought stock rand 225ish ?
Old 07-11-2017, 04:03 PM
Advanced

Thats awesome.One thing to note is that blackkramers is a 6MT.
Old 07-11-2017, 04:10 PM
Drifting

Received 416 Likes on 365 Posts
Originally Posted by Hyphology
u made 275whp?! I thought stock rand 225ish ?
Originally Posted by oshiha
Thats awesome.One thing to note is that blackkramers is a 6MT.
225 if you're referring to skier4lyfe is also an 6MT, but skier lives in high altitude which negatively affects hp.
Old 07-11-2017, 04:17 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by HeartTLs
225 if you're referring to skier4lyfe is also an 6MT, but skier lives in high altitude which negatively affects hp.
Ok gotcha. Has anyone made 300whp. 25 with a couple more bolt ons seems plausible
Old 07-11-2017, 11:14 PM
Drifting

Ok gotcha. Has anyone made 300whp. 25 with a couple more bolt ons seems plausible

Not that I know of (Edit, if you mean N/A, there is a member who has designed and manufactured a rotex SC'er, but it requires you to remove AC, that is pushing well past that number). ATM I have a pretty nice build that's in dire need of dyno tuning and I wouldn't be surprised if I hit somewhere near that 300whp number.

Every gasket port matched, CT-E intake, bored TB, TB thermal gasket, pnp'd IM, IM thermal gasket, rdx injectors, pnp'd runners, pnp'd heads, reground camshafts, PCD, catless long j pipe, light weight crank, alternator and tensioner pulleys. I recently installed the new heads with cams and although I'm on a etune map, my car is running like shit. I'll going to flatbed my car to a dyno within the next few weeks and then I'll have some numbers. 12' AWD 6AT.

Edit: those of you that are serious about making more power safely, should consider getting a carbon fiber driveshaft. That will improve HP throughout the band. On the 1G rdx side, they did a small group buy and got the product to market. I'd like to get that going with like minded individuals who have their checkbooks rdy.

Last edited by HeartTLs; 07-11-2017 at 11:19 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Rancher2005 (07-17-2017)
Old 07-12-2017, 02:03 AM
Intermediate

Not that I know of (Edit, if you mean N/A, there is a member who has designed and manufactured a rotex SC'er, but it requires you to remove AC, that is pushing well past that number). ATM I have a pretty nice build that's in dire need of dyno tuning and I wouldn't be surprised if I hit somewhere near that 300whp number.

Every gasket port matched, CT-E intake, bored TB, TB thermal gasket, pnp'd IM, IM thermal gasket, rdx injectors, pnp'd runners, pnp'd heads, reground camshafts, PCD, catless long j pipe, light weight crank, alternator and tensioner pulleys. I recently installed the new heads with cams and although I'm on a etune map, my car is running like shit. I'll going to flatbed my car to a dyno within the next few weeks and then I'll have some numbers. 12' AWD 6AT.

Edit: those of you that are serious about making more power safely, should consider getting a carbon fiber driveshaft. That will improve HP throughout the band. On the 1G rdx side, they did a small group buy and got the product to market. I'd like to get that going with like minded individuals who have their checkbooks rdy.
yeah I meant n/a(Although, would be down for boost, just not from a hot cabin S/C). awesome mods man mad respect, have you had it tuned before. in between mods?

Id be down for that driveshaft. I would think you could gain some good torque from it.
Old 07-12-2017, 08:37 AM
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts
can someone confirm if injector sizing is a working feature for the TL? the reason I ask, is because there is some talk in my other thread for the slickfab turbo, but more information is needed to confirm that Ktuner can support Forced Induction for fueling.
Old 07-12-2017, 09:22 PM
Cruisin'

Sorry I forgot to mention that I have the sh-awd and they had to disconnect power to the rear wheels for it, they didn't have a 4 wheel dyno. So when it's all hooked up there would probably be ~5% more losses compared to my numbers.
Old 07-13-2017, 10:30 AM
Cruisin'

Okay the first real road test was a huge success. There is a steep 90 degree turn onto a road and then a steep hill climb. Going into the corner very hard and giving it the beans and I would top out at 115km/hr before having to hit the breaks for a stop sign. Today I did the same road, and didn't go hard into the corner, easily hit 120km/hr.

This is a road I do a few times and week and no matter how fast I came into and out of the corner I could never top 115. The car has significantly more pull above about 5500rpm
The following 2 users liked this post by blackkramer:
HeartTLs (07-14-2017), KSeriesTuner (07-15-2017)
Old 07-15-2017, 10:04 AM
Advanced

Sorry I forgot to mention that I have the sh-awd and they had to disconnect power to the rear wheels for it, they didn't have a 4 wheel dyno. So when it's all hooked up there would probably be ~5% more losses compared to my numbers.
Do you know how this was done? Simple as pulling a fuse?
Old 07-15-2017, 12:01 PM
Instructor

Received 122 Likes on 67 Posts

Adam is a welcome addition to our team. Glad you've had a good experience with him!

Originally Posted by 2snail
can someone confirm if injector sizing is a working feature for the TL? the reason I ask, is because there is some talk in my other thread for the slickfab turbo, but more information is needed to confirm that Ktuner can support Forced Induction for fueling.
On this platform you can adjust MAF.fuel for different injector sizes. There are a few of these setups running around with forced induction currently using MAF.
Old 07-15-2017, 01:35 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by oshiha
Do you know how this was done? Simple as pulling a fuse?
They actually disconnected something under the car to do this. Sorry, I can't provide any more information than this as I don't know exactly what was done.
Old 07-19-2017, 08:23 AM
But I just got here

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

Just wondering but where did you get the lightweight alternator pulley from? I'm hoping Excelerate can get them made soon.
Old 07-19-2017, 07:01 PM
Drifting

Small batch was custom made for me and my friends. I sent a stock part to UR and they fabricated an aluminum one for us.

Edit: We paid 50% up front and rest after. They shipped the pulleys to me, I distributed and shipped them to friends.
Old 07-20-2017, 12:11 PM
Intermediate

Has Anyone ever made a pass in their modded tl
Old 07-20-2017, 06:22 PM
Cruisin'

Does anyone know what the highest revs one should take on the 3.7L engine? I just noticed that the rev limiter no longer kicks in around that 6,800 RPM mark.

I have not had a chance to get out driving much, but I did that hill again. Going in to it as hard as I could before the tune I would max at 115 km/hr. Today I went in to it not quite that hard, but pretty hard, and I hit somewhere between 124-127 at the top! That is a significant increase over where I would top out before. I could also never chirp with my summer tires when going in to 2nd, now it does. That might also be because I have a few more km on these tires than last year though.

Overall I am VERY happy with the car now! Should keep me satisfied as my daily driver until I get myself a new toy down the road.
The following 2 users liked this post by blackkramer:
HeartTLs (07-24-2017), KSeriesTuner (07-21-2017)
Old 07-21-2017, 04:34 PM
Instructor

The tunes change the limiter to 7100. You can find rev limits under main parameters with a tune open.
blackkramer (07-22-2017)
Old 07-25-2017, 03:57 AM
Pro

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by KSeriesTuner
Adam is a welcome addition to our team. Glad you've had a good experience with him!

On this platform you can adjust MAF.fuel for different injector sizes. There are a few of these setups running around with forced induction currently using MAF.
Am I able to to up injector size to run E85? I see your guys still have the injector size in BETA testing.
Old 07-25-2017, 04:12 AM
Pro

Has Anyone ever made a pass in their modded tl

105F outside..... 3rd Pass... Still in the tuning Process... Royal Purple Raceway............. 3.7 6 speed 93 Shell...........Eneos Sustina 5w-30........ Easily a 13 second car but for how my car is set up not a track car... But on them Latin American streets different story. 4th gear redline out in Southern Mexico 130mph....... And if that CF drive shaft available I need in..... Ktuner thank you... now I get ask "WHAT CAR IS THAT".... HFPC and Jpipe...........
Hyphology (07-25-2017)
Old 07-25-2017, 04:15 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by KSeriesTuner
The tunes change the limiter to 7100. You can find rev limits under main parameters with a tune open.

No this ain't my car.. But saw this a few months back...
Old 07-25-2017, 04:05 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by CruzanTLSH-AWD

105F outside..... 3rd Pass... Still in the tuning Process... Royal Purple Raceway............. 3.7 6 speed 93 Shell...........Eneos Sustina 5w-30........ Easily a 13 second car but for how my car is set up not a track car... But on them Latin American streets different story. 4th gear redline out in Southern Mexico 130mph....... And if that CF drive shaft available I need in..... Ktuner thank you... now I get ask "WHAT CAR IS THAT".... HFPC and Jpipe...........
yeah definitely for a manual but for an automatic in this car idk. No launch capability unless there's a different way
Old 07-25-2017, 06:02 PM
Pro

yeah definitely for a manual but for an automatic in this car idk. No launch capability unless there's a different way
KTuner
Old 08-01-2017, 10:10 AM
Instructor

Am I able to to up injector size to run E85? I see your guys still have the injector size in BETA testing.
Yes, MAF.fuel can be altered to deliver different fueling for different injector size.
CruzanTLSH-AWD (08-01-2017)
Old 08-01-2017, 02:02 PM
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Try this with traction control off:

1. Left foot hard on brake.
2. Right foot hard on gas.
3. 3000rpm
4. Briefly relax (not release) brake and allow the car to roll out a tiny bit before stopping it again.
5. Release brake.

This loads up the rear suspension and gives you more traction off the line and also seems to bypass whatever is cutting the throttle. I discovered it by accident at autocross when I got a "Go, no wait.... Go" from the starter. Best launch I've ever had in the car and it felt like all of the power was there from a stop.

Seems like you could stage the car that way for a pass, but don't anyone go blaming me for cooking their torque converter.
HeartTLs (08-04-2017)
Old 08-01-2017, 11:48 PM
Intermediate

timing

what kind of total timing are u tuned guys running, stock is around 22 which seems ah little low and noticed the based tunes timing stayed the same even on map 4
Old 08-02-2017, 11:51 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by cb169
what kind of total timing are u tuned guys running, stock is around 22 which seems ah little low and noticed the based tunes timing stayed the same even on map 4
You're just looking at the ignition table? That's not indicative of total timing at all. See the general ignition timing logic topic in help.
Old 08-02-2017, 03:45 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by cb169
Man if you don't know just get a custom tune done and let the Pro's handle it.
Old 08-21-2017, 03:49 PM
Pro

PCD, Custom Intake, and dual 2.5 exhaust
J-Pipe and Custom 2.75 exhaust...(Still has precats and stock intake 09 FWD)...(J37 SWAP)
J pipe, 3" exhaust Vibrant mufflers... 224hp to 252 gain. 7800 RPM
J pipe, 3" exhaust Vibrant mufflers... 224hp to 252 gain. 7800 RPM
All this was tuned by ManolitoTech in Caguas, Puerto Rico....

Glad to see some UA8 and UA9 getting that dyno love..
Old 09-01-2017, 08:01 PM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Just got my ktuner in today but it's not letting me connect to the ecu. It's giving me a 'file integrity failure' message and nothing else. Anyone had that happen before?
Old 09-01-2017, 08:33 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by JakeF
Just got my ktuner in today but it's not letting me connect to the ecu. It's giving me a 'file integrity failure' message and nothing else. Anyone had that happen before?
No thats a first.... re upload the program and try again.
Old 09-01-2017, 09:35 PM
Instructor

No thats a first.... re upload the program and try again.

actually got in touch with support and worked it out. Without any mods should I use the factory tune or tune 1?
Old 09-02-2017, 12:19 PM
Pro

actually got in touch with support and worked it out. Without any mods should I use the factory tune or tune 1?
If my memory serves right there should be 4 tunes.. Tune 1 should be for the stock engine... Play with it for a bit and tell up what you think with the stock basetune..
Old 09-14-2017, 12:03 AM
Instructor

Got everything straightened out with my unit, thanks to KTuner for helping me with it. Even stock, apart from my magnaflows, I can tell a definite difference in the car with a tune. It feels more smooth throughout the power band and definitely pulls a little harder too. I'm thinking about lowering the VTEC engagement from 4750 to 4300 or so.
Old 09-14-2017, 08:41 AM
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts
Just ordered K Tuner for my 3.7 AT stock with drop in air filter. After looking at alot of the dyno sheets most of the exhaust products are leaning out the car after install which by itself is increasing power.

The biggest (for the buck) real world gain I could gather was from BlackKramer. 2800 RPM 35+ft TQ with j pipe and k tune and air filter / intake.

I was also comparing dyno numbers between the HFPC or PCD's with k tuner and almost equal to that of the j pipe w/ k tuner. All things equal you would want to work from the front of the cars exhaust and work your way backward. But since i'll be installing this my self a J Pipe install is a lot easier than the PC's.

I used to self tune / street data log my 1994 mustang gt 5.0 supercharged. I'm excited to see how much easier this setup will be compared to my old car.
Old 09-14-2017, 11:39 AM
Pro

Got everything straightened out with my unit, thanks to KTuner for helping me with it. Even stock, apart from my magnaflows, I can tell a definite difference in the car with a tune. It feels more smooth throughout the power band and definitely pulls a little harder too. I'm thinking about lowering the VTEC engagement from 4750 to 4300 or so.
I would not recommend that.. There is a few of us who is tunes and VTEC is not set lower than 4700... I would say this, Get all your bolt ons on then tune the car by a professional if your not an expert yourself.
Old 09-14-2017, 11:44 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by deanoatkinson
Just ordered K Tuner for my 3.7 AT stock with drop in air filter. After looking at alot of the dyno sheets most of the exhaust products are leaning out the car after install which by itself is increasing power.

The biggest (for the buck) real world gain I could gather was from BlackKramer. 2800 RPM 35+ft TQ with j pipe and k tune and air filter / intake.

I was also comparing dyno numbers between the HFPC or PCD's with k tuner and almost equal to that of the j pipe w/ k tuner. All things equal you would want to work from the front of the cars exhaust and work your way backward. But since i'll be installing this my self a J Pipe install is a lot easier than the PC's.

I used to self tune / street data log my 1994 mustang gt 5.0 supercharged. I'm excited to see how much easier this setup will be compared to my old car.
Not sure what dyno sheet you look at but the best band got buck with the J37A4 is HFPC/PCD + KTUNER. J pipe is a good have but does not show significant gains. I have the j pipe myself along with the HFPC. But you can have PCD stock Jpipe with the Ktuner and some folks be satisfied that way as well. Working from the front to back is recommend if your trying to get gains.

"The 3.5-liter engine has 900-cell/in2 converters, while the 3.7-liter engine has 600-cell/in2 converters" and "To ensure optimum flow and low backpressure, a hydroformed two-into-one collector connects the close-coupled catalytic converters to the main 350-cell under-floor catalytic converter."

Last edited by CruzanTLSH-AWD; 09-14-2017 at 11:49 AM.
Old 09-14-2017, 12:07 PM
Instructor

I would not recommend that.. There is a few of us who is tunes and VTEC is not set lower than 4700... I would say this, Get all your bolt ons on then tune the car by a professional if your not an expert yourself.
Gotcha. Do you know why everyone is suggesting to leave it around 4700?
Old 09-14-2017, 06:44 PM
Pro

Gotcha. Do you know why everyone is suggesting to leave it around 4700?
Honestly IDK I just leave it to the professionals..

Quick Reply: Ktuner- The first tuning solution for the 4G TL