2011 new generation TL

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 10:12 PM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocketsfan
I've got more patience than Acura's got funny looking grills.

lol. jk. I'm going to try and wait until the 5G and am hoping my 3G can hold out that long. When do we expect 5G's to land on US shores? Sometime early or late 2012?
if they follow the 5 year cycle, then it should be out in late 2013 as a 2014 model.

I don't think i want to wait 4 years to buy another car (i don't buy first year models so i'd be buying the 2015 or 2017 model) if I know there will be ventilated seats and the 6speed auto in the MMC next year.

I'd rather take the loss (what like $4,000?) than be unhappy for 3 years. I'll also use that chance to get back into another SHAWD car. SHAWD is a dam addiction. I also miss the 3.7L engine, it wasn't efficient, but it sounds sportier than the 3.5.

If anything, i guess i'd then move from the 4gtl MMC to the 5gtl MMC. If looks (3.5gtl) and features (4.5gtl) change so significantly for mmc's, I'd bet the 5.5gTL (2017?) would be some thing amazing as well.
Old 09-30-2010, 10:20 PM
Banned

but i'd probably be happy with ventilated seats, 6spd auto, and shawd, not that many features out there i find useful or worth paying for at this time. So i'd keep that probably until the 6gen tl (not kidding) or the tsx at that time since the TL keeps moving upmarket.

On a side note, i just saw a ZDX in action today (driving). It was the silver color, and man.. it does not look that great when it's moving. It honestly looked like transformers tried to make snoopy! The sloping roof works well but the end where the rear fenders stick out and the rear window/hatch is very small, and looks awkward from behind. It looks WAY better in the showrooms.
Old 09-30-2010, 10:20 PM
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts
I think Acura is actually making a mistake with trying to change the shape of the front/rear fascias and grill. They simply need to improve how the head and tail lights integrate with the overall design theme.

For such "bold, cutting edge" sheet metal, the headlight and tail light assembly tech seems "so 90s" compared to the design statements being made with LEDs on a lot of new cars today (including even KIA). Incandescent turn signal lights and DRL/brights now seem out of place on a car in the TL's segment. ...hard to believe the margin is affected so much that it was a necessity to cut costs on lighting to maintain the price point. LED lighting would have completed the contemporary design theme that would have made the grill and tail more palatable, IMHO (especially if they had just darkened it a tad to match the 18" wheels on the 2010).

The rear bumper reflectors in proportion to the tail lights has always been wrong, IMHO. They need to play around with more creative designs with LEDs and lensing effects with larger tail light assemblies.

...should have left the bumpers and grill alone other than mod to fit lighting changes and toning down the shade of brightness of silver for grill.
Old 09-30-2010, 10:50 PM
COTM Coordinator

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by draph
I think Acura is actually making a mistake with trying to change the shape of the front/rear fascias and grill. They simply need to improve how the head and tail lights integrate with the overall design theme.

For such "bold, cutting edge" sheet metal, the headlight and tail light assembly tech seems "so 90s" compared to the design statements being made with LEDs on a lot of new cars today (including even KIA). Incandescent turn signal lights and DRL/brights now seem out of place on a car in the TL's segment. ...hard to believe the margin is affected so much that it was a necessity to cut costs on lighting to maintain the price point. LED lighting would have completed the contemporary design theme that would have made the grill and tail more palatable, IMHO (especially if they had just darkened it a tad to match the 18" wheels on the 2010).

The rear bumper reflectors in proportion to the tail lights has always been wrong, IMHO. They need to play around with more creative designs with LEDs and lensing effects with larger tail light assemblies.

...should have left the bumpers and grill alone other than mod to fit lighting changes and toning down the shade of brightness of silver for grill.
IMO after audi brought the LED DRL's Ive have seen more companies running the same thing..... seems like a good way to let Audi know your copying them. Sure it would look great to have LED DRL's but not a necessity. And Im not sure if youre aware or not, but the tail lights are LED's and IMO they are the best I have seen compared to whats on the road.... I was driving behind a new Maxima last night and the individual LED's are very annoying. Im glad Acura used a diffuser of sorts so the LEDS arent just a bunch of circles.
Old 10-01-2010, 03:43 PM
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by MurkyRiversTL
And Im not sure if youre aware or not, but the tail lights are LED's
Yes, I'm aware the tail running and brake lights are LEDs, but the turn signals are not.

Regarding copying Audi....I don't think Audi was the first...

Also, I'm not talking about dot LED patterns. There's more interesting things going on with continuous patterns - assuming a combination of smaller LEDs and diffusers/lenses to create the effect.
Old 10-01-2010, 04:12 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
I want to say one thing. They can't have all of the options on the TL, that the RL has. If they did, they would sell exactly 0 RL's instead of 1. lol
Old 10-01-2010, 06:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 533 Likes on 343 Posts
Originally Posted by Colin
Do you mean the transmission family sold between 2000 and ~2004? The only real problem automatic transmission in 60 years of building cars? I don't see a bad 'track record' there.
You put my "track record" statement in quotes which is odd, as I was referring to way more than just the transmission...Honda/Acura does not have a good track record when it comes to buggy-less first year model cars. My tranny comment was a separate comment and issue and yes, that is worth noting as well because it was a transmission that was a fairly new paring with the engine (and I didn't even mention their manual tranny issues to avoid muddying the waters, but since we are on the subject of transmissions...). The AT 6 speed concerns me a little because it's new and we have no real basis for long-term tests and reliability.

I love Honda/Acura (duh!) but their trannies are my LEAST favorite part of their cars. They just never seem to perform...right.

My overall point was I think it's silly to go into the hole over something that could be more trouble than it's worth when you already own a great car!
Old 10-02-2010, 06:07 AM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ESHBG
You put my "track record" statement in quotes which is odd, as I was referring to way more than just the transmission...Honda/Acura does not have a good track record when it comes to buggy-less first year model cars. My tranny comment was a separate comment and issue and yes, that is worth noting as well because it was a transmission that was a fairly new paring with the engine (and I didn't even mention their manual tranny issues to avoid muddying the waters, but since we are on the subject of transmissions...). The AT 6 speed concerns me a little because it's new and we have no real basis for long-term tests and reliability.

I love Honda/Acura (duh!) but their trannies are my LEAST favorite part of their cars. They just never seem to perform...right.

My overall point was I think it's silly to go into the hole over something that could be more trouble than it's worth when you already own a great car!
Well, the 2010 MDX/ZDX got the 6AT as is the 2011 RL so by 2012, the 6AT should be pretty much trouble free.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:26 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
Originally Posted by BLEXV6
I want to say one thing. They can't have all of the options on the TL, that the RL has. If they did, they would sell exactly 0 RL's instead of 1. lol
I don't know what the hell we're going to do with the RL.

Is it going to be a hybrid only? If it is a hybrid only, do we want to use the near-release new big six, or stick with the tried and true old J Motor?

Is there some advantage to producing a higher performance model with the new six and re-badging it as a Legend?

Has the North American economy improved enough that it's time to pull down that wonderful rear-bias SH-AWD platform and that absolutely marvelous twin-cam V8?

The RL is stuck between markets right now. It's attacked by the ZDX from the top and the TL from the bottom.

Beginning with the MMC for the 4G TL, you'll have an Advance Package that will include almost everything you'd want from the ZDX, including the ventilated HVAC seats that somebody mentioned above. The only major item missing will be the adjustable force dampers, which are probably just going to add too much to the price of the TL.

So beginning with 2012, there will already be too little reason to buy an RL the way it is currently configured and marketed.

It has got to find a new reason for existence, a major revival, or just go away and let the few sales it has go to the ZDX and TL.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:30 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 114 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by George Knighton
I don't know what the hell we're going to do with the RL.

Is it going to be a hybrid only? If it is a hybrid only, do we want to use the near-release new big six, or stick with the tried and true old J Motor?

Is there some advantage to producing a higher performance model with the new six and re-badging it as a Legend?

Has the North American economy improved enough that it's time to pull down that wonderful rear-bias SH-AWD platform and that absolutely marvelous twin-cam V8?

The RL is stuck between markets right now. It's attacked by the ZDX from the top and the TL from the bottom.

Beginning with the MMC for the 4G TL, you'll have an Advance Package that will include almost everything you'd want from the ZDX, including the ventilated HVAC seats that somebody mentioned above. The only major item missing will be the adjustable force dampers, which are probably just going to add too much to the price of the TL.

So beginning with 2012, there will already be too little reason to buy an RL the way it is currently configured and marketed.

It has got to find a new reason for existence, a major revival, or just go away and let the few sales it has go to the ZDX and TL.

x325446362534623456657654756
Old 10-09-2010, 04:57 PM
Banned

I just realized something.

So I've been waiting and waiting for ventilated seats right, and i realized that the way the RL's seats work is different from the way the ZDX and MDX seats work.

The RL's vented seats work like Lexus and benz's system where it blows out air (warm or cool depending on the a/c and seat settings). It's very useful, keeps you cool (like the top of an air hockey table), and is generally really pleasant.

From the website: "With the Technology Package, the front seats can blow both heated and cooled air through the perforations in the leather, allowing you to reach your desired comfort level more quickly than ever before."

Today i had the chance to test the ZDX's seats. They seem to be a bit different. Instead of blowing air, it sucks in air and isn't noticeable. I sat in the seat (the car was sitting in the sun) for 3-4 minutes with the ventilated seats on max... and nothing happened. It didn't seem to work as well as the lexus IS that was in awhile ago.

From the website: "Both front seats offer two levels of heating. With the Advance Package, the front seats can cool as well as heat by drawing air across occupants and into the perforations in the leather, allowing you to quickly reach your desired comfort level."

What i'm saying is, all this waiting (and the loss) may not be worth it to me in the end if the vented seats are like the ZDX/MDX. They don't really seem to be useful. I much prefer the system in the RL, Lexus, or benz. Looks like i'll wait for the next RDX or the 5th gen, maybe even the next IS.
Old 10-09-2010, 06:23 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Originally Posted by jasonwdp10
but i'd probably be happy with ventilated seats, 6spd auto, and shawd, not that many features out there i find useful or worth paying for at this time. So i'd keep that probably until the 6gen tl (not kidding) or the tsx at that time since the TL keeps moving upmarket.

On a side note, i just saw a ZDX in action today (driving). It was the silver color, and man.. it does not look that great when it's moving. It honestly looked like transformers tried to make snoopy! The sloping roof works well but the end where the rear fenders stick out and the rear window/hatch is very small, and looks awkward from behind. It looks WAY better in the showrooms.
Good observation. It looks like a really comfortable shoe to me. You would like to wear it, but hate to look like an idiot.

IMO after audi brought the LED DRL's Ive have seen more companies running the same thing..... seems like a good way to let Audi know your copying them. Sure it would look great to have LED DRL's but not a necessity. And Im not sure if youre aware or not, but the tail lights are LED's and IMO they are the best I have seen compared to whats on the road.... I was driving behind a new Maxima last night and the individual LED's are very annoying. Im glad Acura used a diffuser of sorts so the LEDS arent just a bunch of circles.
Ha! Lol. I spotted a Porsche 996 with them and then the next day I saw them for sale in the back of Car & Driver or Popular Mechanics...
Old 10-13-2010, 07:44 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by prepreludesh
I just don't know what to think... Honda has never done cosmetic upgrades or anything substantial to the third year of a model if it was on a 5 year cycle...
What about the 2010 MDX? Complete reworking of front and back.

I can see a 6spd automatic just to make it competitive in the class with fuel economy and maybe speed, but I would be surprised if the 2011's came out with as much extras as they're talking about.
Yes it's true the 2012 TL, due to be released in March of 2011 will have a new face and rear with a 6-speed tranny. The Advance package will be available as well and an increase in wattage of the ELS sound system.
Old 10-13-2010, 09:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ibn2xtc
Yes it's true the 2012 TL, due to be released in March of 2011 will have a new face and rear with a 6-speed tranny. The Advance package will be available as well and an increase in wattage of the ELS sound system.
ooooooo march 2011????? man i'm really eager to test drive it and see how much it is improved.

any specifics to the advanced package?

also just a side question.. anything on a new RDX?

thanks!
Old 10-13-2010, 09:25 PM
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Probably not!

Originally Posted by ibn2xtc
Acura new models come out in the fall. For them to make a 1/2 year production run and then release a 2012 makes Zero marketing sense.. First that would kill 2011 sales of cars in production, on the lot or in distribution. Anyone with a 2011 would not be happy.. I see the 2012 coming out in September or October of 2011 with whatever upgrades Acura deems nessasary... Folks seem to think Acura needs to do a March release due to those that want the style to change. Won't Happen. I will also say this. If Acura moves the License Plate up like some spy photos, they have not made the rear better, but worse since it is no longer Symmetrical with the rest of the cars rear profile.. Like I mentioned many post back, they may in fact make it WORSE not better. They did that when they changed the 2004 Honda Pilot front and rear profile in 2006.
Old 10-14-2010, 12:00 AM
Intermediate

new interior trim would be nice...
march makes sense because there has been zero change to date except introduction of a manual.
Old 10-14-2010, 01:24 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by RSLTSX09XMNAVWX
Acura new models come out in the fall. For them to make a 1/2 year production run and then release a 2012 makes Zero marketing sense.. First that would kill 2011 sales of cars in production, on the lot or in distribution. Anyone with a 2011 would not be happy.. I see the 2012 coming out in September or October of 2011 with whatever upgrades Acura deems nessasary... Folks seem to think Acura needs to do a March release due to those that want the style to change. Won't Happen. I will also say this. If Acura moves the License Plate up like some spy photos, they have not made the rear better, but worse since it is no longer Symmetrical with the rest of the cars rear profile.. Like I mentioned many post back, they may in fact make it WORSE not better. They did that when they changed the 2004 Honda Pilot front and rear profile in 2006.
You must have missed the numerous threads all over the web about acura pushing the 2012 mmc release up 6 months, effectively reducing the 2011 sales to 6 months only...............
Old 10-14-2010, 01:22 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
You must have missed the numerous threads all over the web about acura pushing the 2012 mmc release up 6 months, effectively reducing the 2011 sales to 6 months only...............
Honestly, I haven't missed these rumors. But till the words come out of John Mendels mouth, they're hardly confirmed. They've done short model years before, but I am skeptical of a 6 month run. However, having said that, I think the deciding factor may be when the sub-TSX car is ready. I still maintain that CY 2012 is too full with new models, they need to push things forwards (if possible) or back (betting on MDX)
Old 10-14-2010, 01:59 PM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts
Honestly, I haven't missed these rumors. But till the words come out of John Mendels mouth, they're hardly confirmed. They've done short model years before, but I am skeptical of a 6 month run. However, having said that, I think the deciding factor may be when the sub-TSX car is ready. I still maintain that CY 2012 is too full with new models, they need to push things forwards (if possible) or back (betting on MDX)
Colin, have you heard of anything re: a SUV slotted between the MDX and RDX?

How about any 2012 RDX rumors?
Old 10-14-2010, 02:26 PM
Banned

doc and i are waiting for the new rdx.. (if any!!)
Old 10-14-2010, 02:52 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by docboy
Colin, have you heard of anything re: a SUV slotted between the MDX and RDX?

How about any 2012 RDX rumors?
Nope, nothing. IMO, Acura roadmap:

Spring/Summer CY 2011 = 2012 TL MMC
Fall/Spring CY 2011/2012 = Sub-TSX sedan, hybrid + gas
CY 2012 = new RL, new hybrid system (new V6 too?)
CY 2012 = new RDX (fall intro? Assumes they make one, but haven't heard they won't)
CY 2013 = new MDX (spring intro)
CY 2013 = new Coupe (could swap places w/MDX, could also coincide with FMC TSX)

FWIW, they never want to "talk" more than one product intro ahead so it's not surprising that there is no RDX info yet. IMO, Id be ok if the discontinued the RDX and replaced with a RSXish car. The RDX was supposed to provide more profit and more volume than the RSX. It has done neither.
Old 10-14-2010, 07:51 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by ESHBG
I had a 99TL and of course had the tranny replaced under warranty when it went tits up in 2001. But otherwise it was very smooth and never had a complaint. However, on my 2009 TL I HATE the transmission. In first and second gear when going at low speeds (under 20MPH) shifting can be rough, engine can lug/drag, and even be jerky.

Giving the engine gas after going over a speed bump can frequently result in a jolt/jerk that NEVER happened on my 99TL. So I would concur that Honda/Acura tranny's have not been their strong suit. The rough tranny is my only real complaint about my 09TL; I've grown accustom to the buck-tool grill.

Last edited by yngdiego; 10-14-2010 at 07:53 PM.
Old 10-14-2010, 07:54 PM
COTM Coordinator

Originally Posted by yngdiego
I had a 99TL and of course had the tranny replaced under warranty when it went tits up in 2001. But otherwise it was very smooth and never had a complaint. However, on my 2009 TL I HATE the transmission. In first and second gear when going at low speeds (under 20MPH) shifting can be rough, engine can lug/drag, and even be jerky.

Giving the engine gas after going over a speed bump can frequently result in a jolt/jerk that NEVER happened on my 99TL. So I would concur that Honda/Acura tranny's have not been their strong suit. The rough tranny is my only real complain about my 09TL; I've grown accustom to the buck-tool grill.
Remove the intake resonator and that jerkiness will go away. Thats what did it for me. Throttle response is improved as well.
Old 10-14-2010, 09:57 PM
Advanced

Remove the intake resonator and that jerkiness will go away. Thats what did it for me. Throttle response is improved as well.
I'm a bit reluctant to remove something that Acura designed into the car. I'm an IT guy, not a car guy, so what are the consequences of removing this piece?
Old 10-14-2010, 10:17 PM
COTM Coordinator

Besides a scratched arm and a bit of frustration I have only had positive experiences since the removal of the intake resonator. Sounds great, better throttle response and a little weight reduction (maybe 2 pounds lol)
Old 10-18-2010, 01:50 AM
?

Nope, nothing. IMO, Acura roadmap:

Spring/Summer CY 2011 = 2012 TL MMC
Fall/Spring CY 2011/2012 = Sub-TSX sedan, hybrid + gas
CY 2012 = new RL, new hybrid system (new V6 too?)
CY 2012 = new RDX (fall intro? Assumes they make one, but haven't heard they won't)
CY 2013 = new MDX (spring intro)
CY 2013 = new Coupe (could swap places w/MDX, could also coincide with FMC TSX)

FWIW, they never want to "talk" more than one product intro ahead so it's not surprising that there is no RDX info yet. IMO, Id be ok if the discontinued the RDX and replaced with a RSXish car. The RDX was supposed to provide more profit and more volume than the RSX. It has done neither.
Heard something about the new RDX having a V6.....
Old 10-18-2010, 09:27 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by TeKNiC3
having a new v6? or an existing one?
Old 10-18-2010, 02:01 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by TeKNiC3
It's obvious that the initial demographics for that car were way off. I don't really care what engine they put in it, just make it a little softer riding, add a power liftgate and (IMO) women will flock to it.
Old 10-18-2010, 02:24 PM

It's obvious that the initial demographics for that car were way off. I don't really care what engine they put in it, just make it a little softer riding, add a power liftgate and (IMO) women will flock to it.
...and don't forget to add a specific sunglass compartment, rear HVAC, HDD based nav w/MP3 ripping capabilities.

And also drop the premium fuel requirement, increase overall mpg to the mid/upper 20s, increase rear trunk space by a few more cubic feet, and tone down the front grill/bumper/fog lots, and I'll flock to it immediately!
Old 10-18-2010, 02:42 PM
Suzuka Master

...and don't forget to add a specific sunglass compartment, rear HVAC, HDD based nav w/MP3 ripping capabilities.

And also drop the premium fuel requirement, increase overall mpg to the mid/upper 20s, increase rear trunk space by a few more cubic feet, and tone down the front grill/bumper/fog lots, and I'll flock to it immediately!
Ha ha, and maybe they'll add in inflatable doll under the dash to service you while you drive? On a serious note, Sunglass compartment = plausible
HDD based Navi = definitely
Premium fuel = all Acuras use premium fuel, don't see it changing
Rear HAVC = I'd say vents are a possibility
More MPG = possible if hybrid version is available
More space = buy the MDX.
Old 10-18-2010, 02:48 PM
Banned

I'll be right behind you!

Initially, I may have traded for a 2012 TL or a mmc (2013?) ZDX, but after seeing how useless the ventilated seats in the ZDX are (i explained a few posts above), how awkward the ZDX actually is when it's moving, and how the sumatra color also looks nothing like the website (It looks purplish brown, not dark brown), I have reconsidered. The ZDX is also a lot smaller than i remembered when seeing it the first time. It feels like a lot of interior room was cut out when being compared to the TL.

Now I no longer see the mmc TL (even with the mini-advanced pkg it's supposed to have) drawing me in. I'll most likely move into the upcoming RDX or something with an equal amount of features (as my TL), but more storage (5gtl? possible acura hatch?)
Old 10-18-2010, 02:52 PM
Suzuka Master

I'll be right behind you!

(5gtl? possible acura hatch?)
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Stop the model and trim proliferation! Acura sold 180K cars in 2006 with essentially 2 versions of TL, TSX, etc. When will they realize that more choice does not automatically equal more sales?
Old 10-18-2010, 03:09 PM

Ha ha, and maybe they'll add in inflatable doll under the dash to service you while you drive?
Hey, don't get me excited now (no pun intended). If the doll was an option, you'll have guys happily paying over MSRP

RDX Hybrid would be awesome.

MDX, at least IMHO, is just a "little too big" and overkill IMHO as a daily commuter. For family trips, it would be awesome. Something along the lines of just a little more space than the current RDX, and less space than the MDX would be perfect.

but after seeing how useless the ventilated seats in the ZDX are (i explained a few posts above), how awkward the ZDX actually is when it's moving, and how the sumatra color also looks nothing like the website (It looks purplish brown, not dark brown), I have reconsidered.
Thanks for the info re: the ventilated seats; that's crucial info. I admit when I had a 09 IS 250 AWD for a few months, the ventilated seats were very nice to have in the summer (that plus the way the IS looks likely sold me on the car, albeit a bad decision b/c it became too dam small/uncomfy). It's disappointing to hear the MDX/ZDX seat ventilation does not blow cool air out. If the TL has said MDX/ZDX type ventilated seats, the advanced package may not be worth the costs IMHO.
Old 10-18-2010, 03:21 PM
Banned

Thanks for the info re: the ventilated seats; that's crucial info. I admit when I had a 09 IS 250 AWD for a few months, the ventilated seats were very nice to have in the summer (that plus the way the IS looks likely sold me on the car, albeit a bad decision b/c it became too dam small/uncomfy). It's disappointing to hear the MDX/ZDX seat ventilation does not blow cool air out. If the TL has said MDX/ZDX type ventilated seats, the advanced package may not be worth the costs IMHO.
I think the way the MDX/ZDX seats supposed to work is simply to stop you from having "swamp ass" (like if you just got out of the gym) To me, it did not make it any more comfortable than not having them for those 3-4 minutes i was sitting there. Maybe they would have been better if i was driving for a longer period of time, but they were not instantly noticeable like the lower end lexus ones.

Whereas the lexus IS/ES/GS, lower end benz, and RL all use the "air hocky table" system and moves air upwards, the air is drawn from under the seat, so if you have the A/C on, it will feel much cooler. However, the air itself is not cooled/heated.

The truly cooled seats are in the Lexus LS where there is actually a cooling/heating element in the seat itself to produce true air conditioned seats. I guess these are the most expensive ones lol.
Old 10-20-2010, 05:48 AM
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Wouldn't it be nice if they cut the name "RL" and brought back "Legend?" I'm sick of all these alphanumeric designations.
Old 10-20-2010, 07:14 AM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
Do you mean the transmission family sold between 2000 and ~2004? The only real problem automatic transmission in 60 years of building cars? I don't see a bad 'track record' there.
That's a crap load of cars, both the V6 Honda's and Acura's. I had an 02 TL which had 3 transmissions replaced, and trust me I do not drive my cars hard. I was very disheartened with Honda ( I have owned a numder of them starting in 1982 ), and if you had one you know what I mean. At least they stepped up to the plate, and repaired them, gave me a rental, but the initial time the dealer is telling me that this was a surprise. I said, please don't insult me, as I had read many stories about these transmissions before mine went. The bottom line is I got rid of the car which I loved, before I wanted to because I did not feel it was reliable, and I would be hesitant to get into a 6 speed at this point until I knew it was reliable.

On the Grill subject, Acura had to know the brushed chrome unit was too big and stuck out like a sore thumb. There was no reason they could not have changed it to a body coloured unit, or the midnight chrome that they already had at minimal cost. It was the only thing keeping me from buying the car initially. The problem was, I love the car otherwise.
Old 10-21-2010, 06:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
I don't mind the looks. I'm talking about the 6 speed auto and advanced package.

The 6 speed auto was ready for the 2010 MDX, why was it not ready 1 year earlier for the (prior) bread and butter 2009 TL? It's possible that they were still refining it for production, but i strongly doubt it took honda an extra year to prepare what is already mainstream everywhere else. My assumptions obviously. But by the time the TL has the 6 speed auto, it will be 2012 already.

Advanced package. Was this really not in the works already? It feels like the TL should have already had it. Plain and simple, they were holding out on us. All of the 2009-2011 people did not have the choice to have an advanced package.

So now, assuming i still want the TL. I'll need to take a loss (probably 6k) on my current TL and pay probably (just assuming) 5k more for the new TL with the advanced package. It means i'm effectively paying $48,000 for an acura TL with the advanced package, or 51k+ for the SHAWD model. Not much value in that. I feel cheated. Should have just gotten another car in the first place.

All this because they figured that the 2009-2011 people didn't deserve the advanced package or the 6 speed auto.

Or was it not ready yet? Which means the advanced package was just a tacky add on that wasn't thought out for the 4gtl. Which means its another bandaid.
I think Tranny cabin intrusion was an issue (see CTS).
Old 10-22-2010, 01:30 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by BLEXV6
That's a crap load of cars, both the V6 Honda's and Acura's.
Is it really a lot as a percentage of all Honda's sold over the last 60 years? Which is what I was saying in the first place. Yes the number may be in the several hundred thousands, but using this one failure as an indictment of all Honda transmission reliability shows flawed logic.

IMO, its also (somewhat) hypocritical to complain that there was an initial problem with the 5AT while simultaneously complaining that the 6AT is late to the game.

IOW, What should Honda do? Replace everyone's transmissions? (they did), offer extended warranties? (they did), sweat the details on the next transmission to make sure it's good? (by the delay, it seems they did). What more would satisfy everyone?
Old 10-22-2010, 04:02 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

Received 811 Likes on 644 Posts
Ha ha, and maybe they'll add in inflatable doll under the dash to service you while you drive? On a serious note, Sunglass compartment = plausible
HDD based Navi = definitely
Premium fuel = all Acuras use premium fuel, don't see it changing
Rear HAVC = I'd say vents are a possibility
I'm not sure what those closing compartments on the front doors are, but I always assumed they were sunglasses holders
Old 10-22-2010, 05:41 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by black label
I'm not sure what those closing compartments on the front doors are, but I always assumed they were sunglasses holders
Doh! Thats so funny! I NEVER assumed that those were intended for sunglasses! LOL, thanks for pointing it out, now I'll go and look when I'm back at work next week.