2011 new generation TL

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 07:08 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 new generation TL

Now i dont know how much of this is true, but i got a call from the local manager at my acura dealership and he said 2011 there is going to be a new TL because of the fact that to many people dislike the grill on the 4th Generation. Any insight?
Old 01-11-2010, 07:11 PM
2011 ZCP E92 M3!!

if u said the manager called you, it must be true cant w8 to see what it looks like
Old 01-11-2010, 07:11 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
not a new generation but it will have a new package where u can adjust suspension stiffness and stuff ... i believe its called the dynamic package ... i wouldnt be surprised if there was somewhat of a facelift too
Old 01-11-2010, 07:12 PM
2011 ZCP E92 M3!!

^ oooooo that sounds cool
Old 01-11-2010, 07:17 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Old 01-11-2010, 07:17 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
We'll have to wait and see.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:34 PM
2011 ZCP E92 M3!!

probali gets release later this year
Old 01-11-2010, 07:38 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
The current generation TL is selling much less than the previous one. As the bread and butter car of the Acura line-up, I am sure this is not good for business for the dealers. I wonder how much the dealers hate the front grille??? :-)
Old 01-11-2010, 08:17 PM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
Originally Posted by VQPower37
not a new generation but it will have a new package where u can adjust suspension stiffness and stuff ... i believe its called the dynamic package ... i wouldnt be surprised if there was somewhat of a facelift too
Advance Package
Old 01-12-2010, 04:06 AM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by ostrich
The current generation TL is selling much less than the previous one. As the bread and butter car of the Acura line-up, I am sure this is not good for business for the dealers. I wonder how much the dealers hate the front grille??? :-)
I haven't heard anybody criticise it, but I've heard more than one admit that it is controversial, and admit that they are asked to paint the grille.

At the place I bought my car, there were no painted grilles or other appearance modifications other than OEM additions like the body kit.

i got a call from the local manager at my acura dealership and he said 2011 there is going to be a new TL
Could you please tell us what Acura dealer is saying that?

I've tried to track down your comments and I don't see anything anywhere that I'd consider reputable, and it's tempting to attribute it to competitive dis-information.

It would not be unusual for there to be a mid-model change designed in 2011, to be rolled out for the 2012 and 2013 model year production. But there's no documentation of this yet.

There's a survey out to see what current and likely future owners are saying about the whole Keen Edge Dynamic thing and about the 4G TL front end in particular, but the results of the survey are still confidential.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:48 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
When I went in for my oil change several months ago, my dealer said something similar. He said the 2011 TL will definately have a new 6-sp AT as well as new package options such as the Advance package and minor "cosmetic" changes.
Old 01-12-2010, 08:21 AM
Colorado Springs

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts
I just don't know what to think... Honda has never done cosmetic upgrades or anything substantial to the third year of a model if it was on a 5 year cycle...

I can see a 6spd automatic just to make it competitive in the class with fuel economy and maybe speed, but I would be surprised if the 2011's came out with as much extras as they're talking about.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:07 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
The least they (HoCo) could do is make the grille similar to the TSX. In any event they are already doing that on commercials. They are airbrushing the TL's grille to look like the TSX, especially on some of their recent commercials showing all of their vehicles.
Old 01-12-2010, 11:10 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by JAB00
The least they (HoCo) could do is make the grille similar to the TSX. In any event they are already doing that on commercials. They are airbrushing the TL's grille to look like the TSX, especially on some of their recent commercials showing all of their vehicles.
Explain, please.
Old 01-12-2010, 11:20 AM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm not against the idea of maybe a slight facelift to the front. Either way I've grown to like the TL now, love it actually, regardless of the front appearance. It WOULD probably bother me more to know I just got my new TL, and then within a year they change the new model which already would make mine feel obsolete. That would be frustrating.
Old 01-12-2010, 12:17 PM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts
Originally Posted by Tswaibel
I'm not against the idea of maybe a slight facelift to the front. Either way I've grown to like the TL now, love it actually, regardless of the front appearance. It WOULD probably bother me more to know I just got my new TL, and then within a year they change the new model which already would make mine feel obsolete. That would be frustrating.
These rumors regarding grill changes should be viewed as rumors until we hear official news from Acura. IF Acura does change the OEM grill's design for 2011, you are correct; there would likely be quite a few 4G TL owners who would feel frustrated. But I am with you, I appreciate my TL's exterior design more and more every day. It truly stands out, and looks refreshing and futuristic.

Having said that, Acura is trying to implement their signature grill across their entire lineup. IF grill changes are made, IMHO it would likely be very minor to preserve the Acura "keen edge" look.

IF Acura does change the 2011 TL's grill, Acura would be smart to give 09/10 owners the option to change their grill to the new one.
Old 01-12-2010, 12:28 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by docboy
These rumors regarding grill changes should be viewed as rumors until we hear official news from Acura. IF Acura does change the OEM grill's design for 2011, you are correct; there would likely be quite a few 4G TL owners who would feel frustrated. But I am with you, I appreciate my TL's exterior design more and more every day. It truly stands out, and looks refreshing and futuristic.

Having said that, Acura is trying to implement their signature grill across their entire lineup. IF grill changes are made, IMHO it would likely be very minor to preserve the Acura "keen edge" look.

IF Acura does change the 2011 TL's grill, Acura would be smart to give 09/10 owners the option to change their grill to the new one.
x 1,000,000
Old 01-12-2010, 12:59 PM
The Sicilian

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

You hit the nail on the head. The car is still way too new. They won't make any major changes and will let the style run it's course as before, but I sure you will start seeing some options (aftermarket) grills out there soon.
I'm sure the grille opening will stay the same therefore a variety of grilles will be offered. Also they will get less expensive because right now there is no way I am spending $500+ to change my grille. I'll make my own updates at this point.
Old 01-12-2010, 01:18 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
^^I am sure that there is a change coming, the question is "does it make it for 2011 or 2012?" 2012 would be the logical answer since that is when MMC is supposed to be done (based on typical Acura cycles)
Old 01-12-2010, 02:55 PM
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
What would be interesting to see is if Acura releases the delayed sport grill accessory. My guess is if it doesn't make it there is a good chance there will be an early change, either they use that or something different altogether next year. If it does make it out soon it's safe to assume we see a different revision at MMC on the 2012. Assuming they use it to help hold over the current look. Then again the style seems to be really be settling in and most are now more comfortable with it, so who knows?

News on the next gen RL and whether or not it makes it for 2011 or 2012 and if they carry the current model for another year could be a strong indicator of when the advance package or just the AFL, ACC and CMB options will make it to the TL. It is wired for this stuff already.
Old 01-12-2010, 05:14 PM
Instructor

Why would that be smart? They already have our money.
Old 01-12-2010, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by 4G Express
Why would that be smart? They already have our money.
Probably not

We can always hope for a freebie, or a "low cost" option
Old 01-12-2010, 05:23 PM
Instructor

Probably not

We can always hope for a freebie, or a "low cost" option

Would you really do that though? What sold you on the car if not for the aesthetics? I'm having some issue with my car and thats turning me off but I think the car is great looking and thats more or less what sold me on it
Old 01-12-2010, 06:14 PM

Would you really do that though? What sold you on the car if not for the aesthetics? I'm having some issue with my car and thats turning me off but I think the car is great looking and thats more or less what sold me on it
Would I personally change the OEM grill? Not at this time. I actually like the way the OEM grill flows with my TL's palladium metallic color (which is the color I purposely chose); it gives my TL a unique and futuristic flavor...

What sold me on the 4G TL was the slick 6spd manual, engine power, SH-AWD, historic Acura reliability, and overall comfort.

But if Acura does come up with another OEM grill that works well with the color/lines of the TL, and is cost effective, I may entertain it.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:16 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 533 Likes on 343 Posts
Originally Posted by prepreludesh
I just don't know what to think... Honda has never done cosmetic upgrades or anything substantial to the third year of a model if it was on a 5 year cycle...
Well that's not entirely true, as they did do some minor but yet substantial things to the Accord over the years. For example, the '03-'04 sedan had completely different taillights than the '05 did, and then '06-'07 was the total redesign with MAJOR changes to both the inside and out. Then in '08 they totally redesigned it again. So...taillights aside, that is "03, '04, '05 and then a major change (meaning major enough to really notice, both inside and out) = 3 years.

For the TL it was even more noticeable, '04-'06 was the same but then '07-'08 had totally different front and taillights, interior, etc.

My point is that you never truly know what Honda will be up to and they can run in much shorter cycles than you think. To the trained eye, the changes they make early on can be substantial. So substantial that when I was considering buying used last year, I wouldn't have touched certain years because I liked the more recent changes way better.

The new TL is now at '09, '10 and w/ how controversial the new TL has been, I wouldn't be surprised if Honda cut things a mere year short and did their major changes to the '11 model...
Old 01-12-2010, 06:20 PM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by JAB00
They are airbrushing the TL's grille to look like the TSX, especially on some of their recent commercials showing all of their vehicles.
LOL...! Get outta here!! Are you serious?

I don't see how you could make significant changes to the grille without retooling for a new front fascia.

The item that was supposed to be the Sports Grille is just a different colour. It's the same shape.

I think that what most people are asking for is a smaller grille, which means that they'd have to retool so that there is a body coloured line above the grille between the aluminium hood and the grille. Then they could bolt on a new grille with a relocated opening.

No, the longer I have this car the more I think I wouldn't ever change it. I originally would have considered the Sports Grille and the companion piece for the rear that was also a darker colour.

Having lived with the car now for 3500 miles...it's just fine just the way it is.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by George Knighton

No, the longer I have this car the more I think I wouldn't ever change it...

Having lived with the car now for 3500 miles...it's just fine just the way it is.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by PetesTL
2011 TL will definately have a new 6-sp AT as well as new package options such as the Advance package and minor "cosmetic" changes.
Can't wait to see what the Advance Package does to the price, I think lower 4G sales are 2 fold (after the economy), first is the styling you have to attract people into the dealership first and foremost and styling of car does that. Second is the price, if they keep jacking the price up fewer people will be attracted to it as it start falling out of the Value Leader position and smack in the middle of the competition for price.
Old 01-12-2010, 08:10 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by KeithL
Can't wait to see what the Advance Package does to the price, I think lower 4G sales are 2 fold (after the economy), first is the styling you have to attract people into the dealership first and foremost and styling of car does that. Second is the price, if they keep jacking the price up fewer people will be attracted to it as it start falling out of the Value Leader position and smack in the middle of the competition for price.
Interestingly, I just saw a video where Acura's Mendel said the goals for the TL are 38,000 units for 2010. It sounds like they've revised their expectations to reflect the things you've stated.

I hope the Advance package is a modest upgrade. Maybe they could bundle the items in the package with a future Type-S model? This would allow them to improve the value ratio without "ruining" the established 'steps' in the other Advance Packages in the MDX and ZDX.
Old 01-12-2010, 08:58 PM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I think Acura has taken a stand with the new look and don't see any change coming in the next couple of years. I just sold my 2007 TL and at first hated the 2010 TL but after looking at the competition I still think this is the best car in its class. I am purchasing a silver and really like the look of the front and rear with the spoiler. This car drives well and handles much better than the 07 with the all wheel drive system. I don't see them changing after just two years. This car really starts to grow on you and if you don't like the front you can paint it or change it to a RonJon.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm having some issue with my car and thats turning me off .....
What issues?

Edit: never mind I saw your other thread.

Last edited by Kingmeow; 01-12-2010 at 09:18 PM.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:02 AM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by Colin
I hope the Advance package is a modest upgrade.
The technology is still too expensive. It will catapult a version of the TL up into the territory currently occupied by the RL/Legend line.

If they were selling it in 2010 model year, it'd be about $48K including destination.

Some of these systems are very complicated, high security items. CMBS is very complicated, and if your car is going to be doing stuff like that, it has to be right every single time. I mean, you can't have your car suddenly braking because an owl dove onto a squirrel.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:04 AM
Intermediate

I just hope, well, really I pray, they continue to offer the 6spd manual.

If there are some cosmetic changes, they offer the magnetic struts, and they continue to offer the manual tranny, I think I'll finally have to buy one...
Old 01-13-2010, 12:19 PM
Suzuka Master

The technology is still too expensive. It will catapult a version of the TL up into the territory currently occupied by the RL/Legend line.

If they were selling it in 2010 model year, it'd be about $48K including destination.
Hopefully by the time they're ready to add the Type-S or Advance package, the RL will have made it's move upward.
Old 01-13-2010, 01:39 PM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by Colin
Hopefully by the time they're ready to add the Type-S or Advance package, the RL will have made it's move upward.
RL's a tough case. It's tempting to say they should just retire the marque and fill the gap from above with the ZDX and from below with the TL+Advance Package.

The RL just doesn't spec out well when compared to the competition around the same price. SH-AWD is unique, but when you get up around 55-60K, you could get an S4 optioned out very well.
Old 01-13-2010, 08:28 PM
Suzuka Master

RL's a tough case. It's tempting to say they should just retire the marque and fill the gap from above with the ZDX and from below with the TL+Advance Package.

The RL just doesn't spec out well when compared to the competition around the same price. SH-AWD is unique, but when you get up around 55-60K, you could get an S4 optioned out very well.
I just saw the video from the dealer meeting, they clearly stated that there will be more size differentiation in future models, also there will be a new flagship with new technologies.
Old 01-15-2010, 11:18 AM
Banned

I highly doubt that. you already bought the car
Old 01-15-2010, 02:35 PM
Cruisin'

my input...i work for Honda in northeast New Jersey and Honda did anounce that they'll be redesigning cars every 4 years instead of the usual 5-6 and will do minor changes within 2 years...so yeah, we should expect some changes for 2011 but i doubt they'll do anything with the grill...love it or hate it, that thing is a major part of the current TL design.
Old 01-15-2010, 02:36 PM
Drifting

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by NyAcUrATL08
[/b]

I highly doubt that. you already bought the car
I think he means keep the dimensions of the grill the same as the 09/10 version so that people who want to change can order the part from the 11 version (Like the midnight chrome sport accessory grill option).

Which I have to agree with, they can make a minor change to make the grill look better, but keep inline with the rest of the lineup, and keep the dimensions the same for easy swapping.
Old 05-31-2010, 12:35 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by zona
Now i dont know how much of this is true, but i got a call from the local manager at my acura dealership and he said 2011 there is going to be a new TL because of the fact that to many people dislike the grill on the 4th Generation. Any insight?
I heard this at a delaer too! there is a front grill change for the 2011 model so I am going to wait.

Quick Reply: 2011 new generation TL