Won't Start, no click, other power works

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2018, 08:17 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Won't Start, no click, other power works

I know there are a number of similar threads... what I could use is a step by step as to what to check before calling the tow truck! 05 TL, 181K. No issues with starting until today. All electrical comes on, turn ignition and no click, no crank at all.... I "think" I banged the starter (based on how you have to access it under and to the left of the battery shelf) to no avail. Battery is new, at about 175K - pretty sure the mechanic cleaned all battery connects/lines thoroughly as there was some build up on the old terminals, etc. I've pulled a few fuses and seen no problems Under dash 2, 33 I believe - OTHERS??? Those Fuse guides use too many strange acronyms!

I didn't remove the upper under-dash panel to check the starter relay (18). Anything else I can do without disassembling the under-dash side panel, or taking the battery and its shelf out? Even if I could take out the battery, etc. I don't have the equipment to test the starter (i.e. is it getting power or not, etc.) ....One thing I noticed this AM when I tried to jump it - I don't recall seeing the dreaded sparking when I grounded the negative cable, so perhaps the cables are defective... would another jolt with another set of cables help - or is that wishful thinking??? (Hey, I'm a girl, that sparking bothers me ) Of course I intended to get the car to the mechanic LAST week for oil/rotation... AND have them give it a once over to see if it was in good enough shape to last another year! I keep putting off buying a new car because this car has been soooooo dependable! I hate to have to put a ton of $$ into a starter, etc. Thanks for any help!
Old 05-13-2018, 08:48 PM
Race Director

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,346 Posts
loose connection/s at battery...
Old 05-14-2018, 01:48 AM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Without the ability to perform any sort of tests with a multimeter, checking fuses, relay and connections is probably the extent you can go.
-blown fuses are easy to see
-relay should "click" when activated. Either by sound or touch
- try and wiggle your battery connections.

I would recommend getting a multimeter, there's cheap ones that work just as well as the $200 models and can save you money by diagnosing and replacing parts your self.anyway good luck