click click click... not like the other post!!!

Old 09-29-2007, 10:13 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
click click click... not like the other post!!!

first off, i am new here. just got this car 3 days ago. trying to fix all the small problems i am finding. 1997 3.0 CL.

i was reading through the other post and i am having a similar issue. but NOT the cv joints. i am thinking it has something to do with the speedometer cable. cause when i am driving, the speedo jumps 10-20mph every so often.

when i am stopped, no noise... but when i am driving down the road its click click click the faster i go. the mechanic doesnt know for sure, but thought it might be the speedo cable clicking on it somewhere. does this sound realistic? how to fix?

also, there is a small humming noise coming from the speakers when the radio is on. could this be due to the power cable and the rca cable running on the same side for the amp? there was already a speaker system in there along with rims on the car.

here are a few pics to let you know what the new guy is driving.. thanks for all your help!!!!

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 09-29-2007, 11:52 AM
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 123 Posts
The speedometer instability is likely an intermittent Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS). This is a common problem in Acuras and Hondas of all models. Fix is to replace the VSS. They are readily available on ebay at reasonable prices. Your's may be different. Search TL forum for some posts on replacing the "guts" of the VSS w/ parts from a new donor. The internals are same for all models to my knowledge.

It will likely get worse w/ time, so you might wait to confirm VSS. When I had this problem, the speedometer would wildly swing and then work OK for a while. When problem exists for more than a few seconds, the ECU will turn on Check Engine Light and set code 17. Trans Control Unit will cause D4 light flashes and set Code 4 .

It is also possibly to have a fault in the instrument panel (IP) causing the speedometer movement to jump around. The clicking may indicate something going on w/ the IP. Only fix here is a replacement IP, or trying to swap speedometer movement from a used panel to your's.

Can't help w/ speaker noise. Ground faults can cause hum.

good luck
Old 09-29-2007, 12:04 PM
Instructor

hmm... IP huh??... i guess i have to have someone drive in next to me and listen if it is coming from the IP or the wheel area. i notice the clicking from inside the vehicle as i am driving but not sure if thats the IP or not.. thanks for the advice...

another question for ya since you seem so smart. heh..

when i drive the car over 20mph, i notice a loud tire noise. like a truck jacked up on super swampers. i took it to the mechanic and he said its cause the tires are hard tread tires... not sure why that would make them roar like that though. i have bought some cheap 40 series tires before and never heard them roar like these do... here is the model of tires...

Spector H-100
225/40r18
88H

does this help? are these extremely hard tires and cause the roar or is there something else going on that i dont know about????
Old 09-29-2007, 12:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts
there not extremely hard tires, only a 320 treadwear, but due to tread design, some tires create more road noise than others.
Old 09-29-2007, 12:48 PM
Instructor

so your saying my tires arent the cause of the roar???
Old 09-29-2007, 01:52 PM
Instructor

is it hard to change the speedometer cable or is this not an issue? if i replace the VSS and the IP what else could it be??

thanks again everyone for your help!!!
Old 09-29-2007, 04:01 PM
Suzuka Master

no, it's probably your tires. Certain tread patterns on tires can cause excessive road noise.

Put your window down while driving, see if it's your tires. I can't think of anything else that would cause that.

Gauge cluster is easy.

remove the cruise control switch and the interior light switch.

Take the 4 screws out, 2 on the top of the panel and 2 on the bottom of the gauge cluster. Unhook switches on the back, and try a new one.

The VSS is just 1 connector, 2 screws, the VSS, and the drive link. BE CAREFUL not to lose the drive link, it's a very small part that comes out as you take the VSS out.

Now, if you have a multimeter handy, I can email you the troubleshooting directions.
Old 09-29-2007, 10:11 PM
Instructor

i can get my hands on a multimeter. go ahead and send over. thanks...

update for my tire issue... i was getting out of the car today to go to work and looked at the tires... on the LEFT REAR this is what i saw.....

as you can clearly see, there is " odd wear " back there. is the balancing or allignment? cause when i went to get it alligned, the guy said the rear camber bolt and cusion was froozen together and there was no way to loosen it without breaking it. basically, i have to order 2 new camber bolts and tie bar (not sure why the tie bar).

advice???
Old 10-01-2007, 02:55 PM
Instructor

went to acura today and found the parts and probelms i am having..

i need a new toe bar and camber bolt and bushing. all comes to $150.

as for the clicking, it is probably the speed sensor and the pin that goes inside it which has little teeth like gears on the other end. he said i am probably missing some teeth in there and thats why it is jumping and clicking aswell.

is there an easy write up for this install anywhere???
Old 10-01-2007, 11:54 PM
Suzuka Master

got an email, I can send you an attachment.
Old 10-02-2007, 10:08 AM
Instructor

send it to tha5150@aim.com
Old 10-09-2007, 10:33 AM
Instructor

still looking for the "how to" so i can take the damn thing out. i figured if i take it out, and it doesnt click anymore, thats the problem, go to acura and get a new one. but if i take it out and it continues to click, there is a new problem arising.

i looked where the VSS is located, but could not locate it. i am having a hard time finding it with everything in the way and i dont know what i need to remove in order to get to it. i am going to go take a pic of the engine bay and maybe you can draw a few arrows to guide me?? the pic is following....

Old 10-10-2007, 10:31 AM
Instructor

well, good news and bad news....

good news is, i found the VSS and took it out, drove around the block and the speedo wasnt working. obviously i found the correct part and did it correctly. yeah for me. ok, now the bad news..... its still ticking. not sure what the hell is going on now.

i am picking up rear toe bars and camber bolts from acura today at 2pm. from there i am going to the mechanic shop to have them installed. this will take care of the road noise due to bad allignment. (camber bolts are froze so i had to get the whole assembly)

while i am there, i am going to see if he can put it up on the rack and have me accelerate to hear the ticking and find out where it is coming from.

what else could this be though, i am confused. i am not too worried about the vss right now, more so the ticking. once i get the ticking fixed and the allignment done, i will move on to more task. the speedo jumping around isnt bothering me that much...

please advise.
Old 10-11-2007, 02:23 PM
Instructor

just realized, i didnt take the whole VSS out. i only took the upper half out. i never got the gear out. only the small peice that slides in there. this is a problem right? i need to get the small gear out of there and see if thats what is making the clicking sounds. ???????
Old 10-11-2007, 06:00 PM
Instructor

update:

i took out the gear in the lower half of the speed sensor and there is no clicking anymore.

yeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh baby yyyyyyyyeaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh........
Old 10-11-2007, 08:08 PM
Instructor

I'm just so glad I finally found a solution I was sick and tired of going from place to place not knowing what the problem was . Maybe now I can start to enjoy the car it's been nothing but trouble for the past two weeks since the day I bought it.

By the way a little bit off-topic but does anybody know why I cannot edit my post?? By the way thanks again everyone for your help.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:47 PM
Suzuka Master

There's a five minute rule for editing posts.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:31 PM
Instructor

so if i post on another thread and then go to a different one, i cant edit? thats what i just did and came here to see your post and the edit isnt avaliable. hmm...
Old 10-20-2007, 02:23 PM
Instructor

update.... installed the new speed sensor and gear that goes into the tranny., took it around the block and the ticking is still there. it wasnt when the gear was out though. what the hell is happening here guys?

is it the other gear that it is rubbing with or what? the gear i bought was new of course, so i know it isnt that. what else could it be??
Old 10-20-2007, 02:43 PM
Instructor

could it have anything to do with the lower portion of the speed sensor? the part that actually bolts onto the tranny? i have everything new but that peice. it is only 40 bucks to buy that from acura. but i dont want to spend a dime unless i know thats the problem. but is there anything on or in this part that would make it click? i doubt it, but then again, you guys are a hell of alot smarter than i am... please advise.
Old 10-21-2007, 10:42 AM
Suzuka Master

pm sent.
Old 10-22-2007, 10:16 PM
Instructor

thanks.. talked to texas.. he gave me some help...
Old 10-26-2007, 09:49 AM
Instructor

ok... problem fixed. i assume it was the housing for the speed sensor and gear. popped a new one on and there is no problems. also, switched out the guts of my old VSS with the new one i bought on ebay and everything works great

THANKS EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!