Click, click, pop, click.. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 09:41 PM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Click, click, pop, click.. Help!

All right, my first roll at getting some advice on a current situation I am having with my TL. In advance, thank you for any assistance as I narrow down my particular issue!

When I first start rolling out of first gear letting the clutch out and doing a light shift to second (all while remaining under 15-20 mph), I usually hear a click, click, clunkish pop, and sometimes a click that follows after from my front passenger wheel area.

My thoughts currently... not hub, no humming. I hit a couple solid potholes this winter off that wheel so maybe stabilizer end link, but I'd expect it to pop more than just off a slow start. I had high pressure steering hose recall performed and anytime I did high pressure hose on previous vehicles (GM FWDs) I had to lower engine cradle to access for removal.. so maybe loose cradle bolts? I recently did my front brakes and used Brembo rotor blanks and EBC Redstuff pads (love this setup for the record), but think nothing from the brakes would make that particular noise. Engine mounts?? How to check?

I'm torn and looking for ideas. I wont be able to jack my car up until Friday to inspect further, but until then I keep stewing on "what the heck?"
Old 04-10-2013, 11:56 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts
Could be your brake-pads retaining clips. I used to experience the same problem on my former 6speed but never fixed it before i traded her in. At one point tough before i trading the car, i was told by an acura tech about the retaining clips and that he had seen it being the culprit numerous times...
Old 04-11-2013, 02:15 PM
TLicious Type S

Received 119 Likes on 88 Posts
Suggestion: observe if the "speed or tempo" of your noise and see whether it is related to your engine speed RPM, or ground speed MPH.

This might help you differentiate between an issue with the engine/clutch bearing/drivetrain (would change dependent on RPM speed), or a wheel/suspension issue (changes base on your MPH).

Good luck!
Old 04-12-2013, 03:45 PM
Resident Dingo

Received 143 Likes on 113 Posts
I'd say get the car in the air and visually inspect your front suspension, axles and steering rack for any broken parts or loose ends. Report back.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:56 PM
Instructor

Finally got an extra ear and found the problem.

It wasn't coming from the front it was actually the rear. I had the old lady listen and pinpoint as I moved forward and backward several times.

Yanking on the stabilizer link didn't give any odd motion so I remained baffled. Decided to jack up rear passenger side and put tension on the links and then lower car. Doing that a few times resulted in nothing. THEN! I decided, lets rotate my wheel because it looked fun...

Well, it seems when I had Discount Tire put on my lovely (yet ridiculously squishy) 245-45 DWS tires, they left something in the air space when they mounted the tire. So when rolling, it dings across the inside of the rim. Going to bring it in tomorrow AM to learn what it was. Thankful it didn't wreck my air sensor.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:20 PM
Instructor

It was the TPMS sensor that they failed to secure when they did their ridiculous $30 TPMS rebuild kit. Don't know the point of that, but that'll never happen again. Surprise it survived a week of popping around inside the tire.