Turbo Kit for Acura TL '04-'08

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 08:31 AM
18psi

Received 94 Likes on 68 Posts
Inaccurate,

I know you have an egt sensor on your pcd's i think. Do you have a thread about his?

Everyone else,

Optimal location for an egt sensor? As close to the block as possible or wherever the the front and rear turbo piping merges?
Old 02-21-2012, 09:13 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Where the 02 is, is a great spot, the closer the better, it can cool off considerably in a short distance. Especially considering the exhaust is already up to 6" from the exhaust valves by the time it hits the manifold.

One more thing to add from yesterday, you're not going to hurt anything if you're not knocking on pump gas. You will never be able to get enough heat into anything (pistons/cylinders/rings) to hurt it before pinging occurs. It's pretty much impossible. It will knock long before you have anything to worry about.

I think you already have one but an oil cooler and a good tune should give you all the peace of mind you need.

Going richer than 11-11.5 AF has no benefit. At that point it's not cooling the charge air any better, it's just putting the fire out.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:39 AM
18psi

^My response to all your statements are on the previous page in case you missed it

Oil is cooler is on the to do list. I can probably re-use my trans cooler after a good cleaning.

I guess putting a sensor on the front bank makes no sense since the wires will have no where to go.

best pics I have of the rear downpipe so Ill have it welded in a little bit away from this o2

Old 02-21-2012, 10:40 AM
Safety Car

Received 435 Likes on 328 Posts
This has my attention. I'm looking at what it takes to interface this to the MS3 and we would either need a gauge with an analog output or build simple amplifiers.

Would monitoring one bank be sufficient or should both be monitored?

Bert, not sure what you meant by not being able to monitor one bank over the other.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:07 AM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
^^^ why dont you guys use a dual controller like this:

when i get the MS3 i am looking to get this as I have a true dual and cant just leave 1 bank unmonitored....

http://www.injectedperformance.com/h...trollerkit.htm
Old 02-21-2012, 11:21 AM
18psi

Originally Posted by KN_TL
This has my attention. I'm looking at what it takes to interface this to the MS3 and we would either need a gauge with an analog output or build simple amplifiers.

Would monitoring one bank be sufficient or should both be monitored?

Bert, not sure what you meant by not being able to monitor one bank over the other.
Idk about monitoring one bank or both. Thats why I asked if the probe should be as close as possible to the block or in the downpipe after the merge. Ideally you want as close as possible for the most accurate reading.

You could run 2 sensors but then you need 2 gauges.

Most of what I read says monitoring egts isnt necessary if your monitoring a/f. I can understand that but I want to do some testing and find a good water to meth ratio

Originally Posted by swoosh
^^^ why dont you guys use a dual controller like this:

when i get the MS3 i am looking to get this as I have a true dual and cant just leave 1 bank unmonitored....

http://www.injectedperformance.com/h...trollerkit.htm
thats for a wideband. im looking for egt monitoring

defi egt gauge has peaked my interest
Old 02-21-2012, 11:27 AM
18psi

never heard of KOSO

http://www.exhaustgas.com/ProductDet...pID=&BasketID=
Old 02-21-2012, 11:30 AM

^^^ why dont you ask Rodney as I know we were talking about AFR and EGT and he said, he has me covered....

get a sensor/controller which would interface with MS3 so you dont need to put in another gauge and stuff....
Old 02-21-2012, 11:40 AM
18psi

^honestly, almost everyone that is getting this new ecu is all over data logging and what now. It gets old pretty fast...at least for me it did. Yea, you want to see whats going on when you first get everything up and running which is fine. But are you really going to be setting up your laptop every time you drive the car? Or are you really going to log everything onto a sd card and look at it after your driving each time?

If I could hook up an egt gauge to the m3s for logging then thats pretty good for comparing things on the computer AFTER your done driving.

But having a full time egt gauge in my face all the time is better option for me. Plus, I need to lose the trans temp gauge anyway since its useless now. After I have the pods done on the a-pillar, ill re-use the trans gauge for oil/water temp or something else

BTW, rodney telling you "he has you covered" makes me lol a little. Make sure you know what your getting before you get it.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:48 AM

^^^ I never said anything about logging....

am installing an Ipad/Samsung Galaxy tab in my dash and have Torque pro (for android) or a similar app running for iOS running which will display all the gauges....the hardware for this will either directly plug into the ODBII port or right into MS3 never liked the look of gauges popping out of the dash like rabbit ears.....

and yeah i do trust people easy and its worked out pretty well for me so far but will take your advice into consideration
Old 02-21-2012, 11:52 AM
Safety Car

Just my opinion, but the ability to log and analyze based on long term driving habits is more important than real time numbers. Depending on how fast your EGT's will change, there is no way you should be looking at a gauge while in 13lb's of boost laying down 550whp.

That is why I am installing a carputer. I don't want to have to lug around or have my passenger hold a laptop so I am attempting to integrate it into my navi screen. I'll have both realtime gauges and logging available all of the time.

I think for first pass, I may just buy a probe and build my own amplifier and look at it using an o-scope.
Old 02-21-2012, 12:59 PM
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 290 Posts

The sensor must be close to the exhaust valve. With mine in the position shown in the pics, it was very accurate. I base this on my readings under various conditions. The readings matched according to what a typical engine EGT should had been for those conditions.

If the sensor is place too far downstream (greater than 18" I am guessing), the readings will become meaningless in comparing your readings to known values from others engines. For example, it is commonly accepted that EGT higher than 1800* (as an example) are too high. But if you had your sensor too far downstream, you would not know what your real EGT reading is and you could not say if you were close to the danger zone or not.

If the sensor is place too far downstream, you could use your reading just as a relative reading to your other readings. For example, let's say that wot would usually produce 1400* on your gauge. You then added water injection and your gauge then indicated a reading of 1325*. You could safely say that your EGT dropped by approx 75*. But you could not say that your EGT *was in fact* 1325*. Because like IHC mentioned already, the exhaust has cooled down too much by the time the exhaust reached the probe (located too far downstream) to get a meaningful EGT reading.

BELOW IS SOME REAL-LIFE DATA WHEN I HAD MY EGT -

EGT with excessively retarded timing and wot to 6500 RPM is 1600-1650* F. With max timing and wot, the egt is 1450-1500* F. This is with a J32 normal aspiration and PCD. Cruising on freeway at 60 mph is 950-1000* F. Freeway cruising at 80 mph is 1100* F. Idle is 800-850* F.

The ecu turns off the fuel injectors while coasting. It's funny to watch the egt gauge when coasting to a stop from freeway speeds. The egt temps will drop down to 500* F from the engine just pumping air thru itself (no combustion occurring).

Last edited by Inaccurate; 02-21-2012 at 01:02 PM.
The following users liked this post:
libert69 (02-21-2012)
Old 02-21-2012, 01:06 PM
1st 3g Turbo TL-S

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
So who can't wait to get that twin disc! Lol, me!
Old 02-21-2012, 01:21 PM
18psi

^did you get an eta yet?
Old 02-21-2012, 01:58 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by libert69
Idk about monitoring one bank or both. Thats why I asked if the probe should be as close as possible to the block or in the downpipe after the merge. Ideally you want as close as possible for the most accurate reading.

You could run 2 sensors but then you need 2 gauges.

Most of what I read says monitoring egts isnt necessary if your monitoring a/f. I can understand that but I want to do some testing and find a good water to meth ratio

defi egt gauge has peaked my interest
People that say you don't need EGT if you're monitoring AF don't take into account the effects of timing on EGT. But with that said, if you have no knock, chances are slim to none that you could get into the danger zone unless timing was really retarded. I think it's similar to the guys that don't monitor knock because they have AF.

I've seen guages with dual readouts for two sensors.

I like datalogging because sometimes it's nice to go back even years and compare to what you have now. If nothing else, have it set to alarm at a certain EGT. Say, if it goes above 1,700F, throw an alarm and capture a screen shot of all other parameters at the time as well. For me, it was valuable when pushing the limits because if I broke or blew it up I could figure out why. I'm sure this will never happen in your case but it's always a good idea to get as much data as possible even if you don't use it.
Old 02-21-2012, 02:30 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Inaccurate

The sensor must be close to the exhaust valve. With mine in the position shown in the pics, it was very accurate. I base this on my readings under various conditions. The readings matched according to what a typical engine EGT should had been for those conditions.

If the sensor is place too far downstream (greater than 18" I am guessing), the readings will become meaningless in comparing your readings to known values from others engines. For example, it is commonly accepted that EGT higher than 1800* (as an example) are too high. But if you had your sensor too far downstream, you would not know what your real EGT reading is and you could not say if you were close to the danger zone or not.

If the sensor is place too far downstream, you could use your reading just as a relative reading to your other readings. For example, let's say that wot would usually produce 1400* on your gauge. You then added water injection and your gauge then indicated a reading of 1325*. You could safely say that your EGT dropped by approx 75*. But you could not say that your EGT *was in fact* 1325*. Because like IHC mentioned already, the exhaust has cooled down too much by the time the exhaust reached the probe (located too far downstream) to get a meaningful EGT reading.

BELOW IS SOME REAL-LIFE DATA WHEN I HAD MY EGT -

EGT with excessively retarded timing and wot to 6500 RPM is 1600-1650* F. With max timing and wot, the egt is 1450-1500* F. This is with a J32 normal aspiration and PCD. Cruising on freeway at 60 mph is 950-1000* F. Freeway cruising at 80 mph is 1100* F. Idle is 800-850* F.

The ecu turns off the fuel injectors while coasting. It's funny to watch the egt gauge when coasting to a stop from freeway speeds. The egt temps will drop down to 500* F from the engine just pumping air thru itself (no combustion occurring).
I wish I saw this first, it would have saved me some writing. I agree with everything. I still can't get over your idle temps compared to mine but different cars I suppose. Plus, higher is better from an emissions standpoint.

I've found with the probe right before my turbo which would make it about 3' worth of plumbing from the driver's bank, 6" from the passenger bank, the guage responds slower and reads lower.

As you point out, using it as a tool to avoid damage will not be possible but using it as a tool to compare tunes will.

The rest of this is my opinion so take it for what it's worth.... I use EGT mostly to make sure I'm not going to burn an exhaust valve and to make sure there's nothing weird going on. Otherwise the wideband is more useful for tuning and extracting max power. With the known intake manifold distribution problems it would be neat to have a probe for each cylinder to see which ones are rich and lean. I've never looked at one of our heads closely but I doubt tapping and drilling the aluminum would be possible or advised. It would be pretty nice if it were possible.
The following users liked this post:
libert69 (02-21-2012)
Old 02-21-2012, 02:56 PM
18psi

Just some info to throw out there. We were talking about manifolds the other day. The custom intake manifold made for that turbo odyssey was from wilson manifolds

They build the manifold to in cooperate the upper and lower manifold with the injectors/rails and its polished

Cost is roughly 2500$
Old 02-21-2012, 02:57 PM
18psi

spatechnique.com makes a nice dual gauge setup. They have quite a few different types.

dual egt is rather expensive
http://www.spatechnique.com/product_...ils.cfm?id=385
Old 02-21-2012, 03:02 PM
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 290 Posts
Does Wilson still have the plans for it? Is Wilson able to make a copy of odyssey intake for you, or is it considered to be proprietary ? Sounds like a phone call to Wislon would be helpful.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:01 PM
18psi

Originally Posted by Inaccurate
Does Wilson still have the plans for it? Is Wilson able to make a copy of odyssey intake for you, or is it considered to be proprietary ? Sounds like a phone call to Wislon would be helpful.
It got this info by calling them lol

This mani was made for a j35. Ive heard the j32 and j35 manifolds are interchangeable.

They still have the specs and can make another one, but they would need the runners
Old 02-21-2012, 04:33 PM
Team Owner

Thats's crazy expensive. If you can get a core, I might be able to get it flowed for free but I would have to check.

If you have the lowers flowed after porting and they all flow the same, all you need is a large plenum and you're good to go for even air distribution. Build a sheetmetal upper with double the factory volume and you're set with a flow matched lower.
Old 02-22-2012, 06:07 PM
1st 3g Turbo TL-S

^did you get an eta yet?
Kinda

Its basically waiting on me...
The stoopid ring gear issue is rearing it's ugly head again for the type s.

So! gota pull the flywheel and send it out so the ring gear can be refitted to the new setup, because apparently no one makes the correct one other than acura!

then it's new pipping and oil cooler
Old 02-22-2012, 06:13 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Xiomaro
Kinda

So! gota pull the flywheel and send it out so the ring gear can be refitted to the new setup, because apparently no one makes the correct one other than acura!

No kidding. I thought there was a type-s with Rodney's clutch. Did he change sources?
Old 02-22-2012, 06:19 PM
1st 3g Turbo TL-S

^ nay. everything thus far has been for j32

type s needs special attention, lol
Old 02-22-2012, 06:26 PM
1st 3g Turbo TL-S

No kidding. I thought there was a type-s with Rodney's clutch. Did he change sources?
wait do you mean a type s with his p2r disc?

cuz that was mine, but it didn't exactly hold as much power as we were throwing at it. so it's time to go big, and at the same time throwing the fully built motor in too
Old 02-22-2012, 06:29 PM
Safety Car

wait do you mean a type s with his p2r disc?

cuz that was mine, but it didn't exactly hold as much power as we were throwing at it. so it's time to go big, and at the same time throwing the fully built motor in too
No, I meant the Tilton twin disc monster.

Have you been running on the snail all along? You disappeared for a while so I didn't know if something happened.

So what's on the menu now?
Old 02-22-2012, 06:42 PM
1st 3g Turbo TL-S

No, I meant the Tilton twin disc monster.

Have you been running on the snail all along? You disappeared for a while so I didn't know if something happened.

So what's on the menu now?
no i never had the tilton yet

yea, had so many things i had to go backwards on and were waiting for, mostly the tranny giving hell, that it's been a bit discouraging. I haven't been around cuz i didn't want to just talk about the negatives. so hopefully this looks to be the last hurtle. gona drop in the new motor build, swapping to the v2 kit, adding a couple extras then it should be golden.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:21 PM
18psi

Kinda

o ok. I thought you were involved in the order rodney placed a few weeks ago when he bought 3 or 4 tilton clutches
Old 02-23-2012, 08:37 AM
1st 3g Turbo TL-S

o ok. I thought you were involved in the order rodney placed a few weeks ago when he bought 3 or 4 tilton clutches
yea, thats it. but it's on hold because of my ring gear. so as soon as that gets out of the car the flywheels can be finished
Old 02-23-2012, 08:40 AM
Safety Car

yea, thats it. but it's on hold because of my ring gear. so as soon as that gets out of the car the flywheels can be finished
I always wondered. Would using the starter or gear from a J32 ever work on a J35 for this issue? When CM had the Accord/TL problems with the ring gear, I never heard if anyone looked at that. I thought everyone said it was solely a tooth count and the diameter was the same.
Old 02-23-2012, 12:30 PM
1st 3g Turbo TL-S

I always wondered. Would using the starter or gear from a J32 ever work on a J35 for this issue? When CM had the Accord/TL problems with the ring gear, I never heard if anyone looked at that. I thought everyone said it was solely a tooth count and the diameter was the same.
THANK YOU! I'been saying that since I did that with CM the first time. Rodney said it couldnt happen because if fitment or something. I bet the gear is welded to the shaft of the starter, so cutting it and rewelding it may compromise the strength? I'm not sure tho since I haven't had my hands on it yet. I still bet its doable.
Old 02-25-2012, 09:31 AM
Safety Car

Hey D, I thought for sure there was a type s with Rodney's kit. He was the first one to install it.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ghlight=clutch
Old 02-27-2012, 04:42 AM
18psi

Thoughts on cryo and rem isf treating the mt gears and shafts? Like everything else, some people swear by it and others think its not worth it.

At 10$ a pound for the cryo treating it doesnt seem like a lot of money if the benefits are there. Rem isf is more expensive. I believe the one shop told me 28$ per gear

Can synchros be cryo treated? My reading suggests that synchros are generally made of brass and are intended to be rather brittle on purpose.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:15 AM
Safety Car

That discussion was thrown around but I never saw anyone who had experience with it. At the time, Kikazz was just finishing up and Rodney was talking about him helping with the development of either reinforced or straight cut gears. It wasn't going to be cheap though. The other concern is if the case was going to be the weak link.

I think you are going to be the first to really test the limits especially if you'll visiting Englishtown.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:08 AM
Team Owner

The nice thing about straight cut gears is they will handle a little shaft deflection a lot better than helical gears.

Definintely don't want to cyro treat the synchros.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:23 AM
1st 3g Turbo TL-S

Thoughts on cryo and rem isf treating the mt gears and shafts? Like everything else, some people swear by it and others think its not worth it.

At 10$ a pound for the cryo treating it doesnt seem like a lot of money if the benefits are there. Rem isf is more expensive. I believe the one shop told me 28$ per gear

Can synchros be cryo treated? My reading suggests that synchros are generally made of brass and are intended to be rather brittle on purpose.
I've heard that heat treating these gears is not going to help because they're cast. I had also discussed getting straight cut gears made, but the process takes a little over 6 months and requires a new tranny. So that's not gonna be for a while till I can get the time and $
Old 02-28-2012, 03:55 AM
18psi

That discussion was thrown around but I never saw anyone who had experience with it. At the time, Kikazz was just finishing up and Rodney was talking about him helping with the development of either reinforced or straight cut gears. It wasn't going to be cheap though. The other concern is if the case was going to be the weak link.

I think you are going to be the first to really test the limits especially if you'll visiting Englishtown.
I have a place a few towns over from me that does the cryo treating so its not a problem to do it. I have a full set of type s gears and synchros to be delivered to me this week.

Straight cut gears is not going to happen any time soon. At least not on my dime right now lol

I've heard that heat treating these gears is not going to help because they're cast. I had also discussed getting straight cut gears made, but the process takes a little over 6 months and requires a new tranny. So that's not gonna be for a while till I can get the time and $
Are you positive the gears are cast iron?

I found this post from paul on page 69 of this thread.
https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...postcount=2745

"To me at least there does not appear to be any hardeneing of the gears or shafts, I think this would be a good first step si to first send the shafts and gears out for a good A2 (Air Grade 2) hardeneing then to cryo treating. Als three of the brearing are std ball, it would probaby be nice to find roller bearing replacements."

If paul is suggesting the gears can be treated then maybe they arent cast? I really dont know
Old 02-28-2012, 05:17 AM
18psi

http://hondanews.com/channels/acura-...-tl-powertrain

gears are steel. Off to cryo we go
6-SPEED MANUAL TRANSMISSION

While the TL is now only available with the new 5-speed automatic transmission, the TL Type-S is offered with an available close-ratio 6-speed manual transmission. This precise, short-throw unit is similar to the 6-speed offered last year and now features a different bell housing to mate properly with the new 3.5-liter V-6 engine. It's designed to take advantage of the high power and torque of the new Type-S engine and give enthusiast drivers maximum control and responsiveness.

This compact transmission is substantially lighter than the automatic transmission. It features a high-pressure die-cast aluminum-alloy transmission housing to save weight. To further reduce weight and size, special narrow, high-strength steel gears are used, and the shafts are hollow. Close ratio spacing helps provide quicker acceleration by keeping engine revs up close to the horsepower peak. Brass multi-cone synchronizers are used in first through fourth gears with a single-cone synchronizer for reverse to reduce shift load and help ensure smooth, precise shifting. A large gear-tooth contact area helps to reduce gear noise. A reverse lockout feature prevents the transmission from accidentally being shifted into reverse while the car is moving forward.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:35 PM
1st 3g Turbo TL-S

http://hondanews.com/channels/acura-...-tl-powertrain

gears are steel. Off to cryo we go
6-SPEED MANUAL TRANSMISSION

While the TL is now only available with the new 5-speed automatic transmission, the TL Type-S is offered with an available close-ratio 6-speed manual transmission. This precise, short-throw unit is similar to the 6-speed offered last year and now features a different bell housing to mate properly with the new 3.5-liter V-6 engine. It's designed to take advantage of the high power and torque of the new Type-S engine and give enthusiast drivers maximum control and responsiveness.

This compact transmission is substantially lighter than the automatic transmission. It features a high-pressure die-cast aluminum-alloy transmission housing to save weight. To further reduce weight and size, special narrow, high-strength steel gears are used, and the shafts are hollow. Close ratio spacing helps provide quicker acceleration by keeping engine revs up close to the horsepower peak. Brass multi-cone synchronizers are used in first through fourth gears with a single-cone synchronizer for reverse to reduce shift load and help ensure smooth, precise shifting. A large gear-tooth contact area helps to reduce gear noise. A reverse lockout feature prevents the transmission from accidentally being shifted into reverse while the car is moving forward.
You do know you can cast steel right? And I never said cast iron.
And saying they're high strength doesn't mean they're forged or high strength.
I know for a fact they are not as high strength as they seem.
I had second gear replace twice, third and fourth once, and a new differential.
Bottom line is the gears need to go, and good ones need to be put in place
Old 02-28-2012, 04:41 PM
1st 3g Turbo TL-S

Also it says narrow and hollow shaft... gay

Quick Reply: Turbo Kit for Acura TL '04-'08