Supercharging the TL

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 12:15 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Supercharging the TL

After being destroyed by a damn Supercharged Saturn this weekend, I have decided I want to supercharge the TL
Where can I get the supercharger and roughly how much will it run me? Can the Auto tranny withstand the power
what is the projected HP after the charger?
My car is a 2005 auto TL non type S
Old 01-19-2010, 12:28 PM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
LOL u need to search mah man....the technology is not soooo advanced that u create a new thread on supercharger and one falls on ur lap....

a lot many people are selling the supercharger and getting the turbo.....the turbo will be kinda more expensive but more reliable.....fully tuned will give u around 480whp....

now if ur technically declined then i would suggest sell ur TL and get something else as this kit cost some like $6000.....but if you know what ur doing then i would say read this thread:

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-performance-parts-modifications-112/turbo-kit-acura-tl-04-08-a-718808/
Old 01-19-2010, 12:28 PM
Under construction

Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts
PM Excelerate, he is one of the vendors on here.
Old 01-19-2010, 12:36 PM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...=super+charger

^^ i got these from a quick search. basically all questions have been answered on this topic. just look around. hope this gives u a good start.
Old 01-19-2010, 12:37 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
Originally Posted by csmith22
After being destroyed by a damn Supercharged Saturn this weekend, I have decided I want to supercharge the TL
Where can I get the supercharger and roughly how much will it run me? Can the Auto tranny withstand the power
what is the projected HP after the charger?
My car is a 2005 auto TL non type S
The CT-E supercharger is the kit you will want:

http://store.excelerateperformance.c.../i-220516.aspx

It will give roughly 65whp on a AT TL. The transmission can hold the power. I would also recommend some supporting mods if you can afford them: j-pipe, high flow third cat, catback exhaust, and a water/meth kit.

If you have any other questions or need a package price for everything send us an email. Thanks.
Old 01-19-2010, 12:37 PM
Intermediate

Thanks fellas, I appreciate it
Old 01-19-2010, 12:40 PM
Former Whyner

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
There should be 1 for sale in the BM i think member Ussi is still sellling his
Old 01-19-2010, 02:35 PM
n3o
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by swoosh
LOL u need to search mah man....the technology is not soooo advanced that u create a new thread on supercharger and one falls on ur lap....

a lot many people are selling the supercharger and getting the turbo.....the turbo will be kinda more expensive but more reliable.....fully tuned will give u around 480whp....

now if ur technically declined then i would suggest sell ur TL and get something else as this kit cost some like $6000.....but if you know what ur doing then i would say read this thread:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=718808
uhhh turbo more reliable than supercharger...?
Old 01-19-2010, 02:43 PM
Former Whyner

^ no Sir Supercharger is MORE reliable than a Turbo...but for power its Turbo> SC
Old 01-19-2010, 02:44 PM
04Tl

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Go Turbo!!! and dam a supercharged Saturn!!. Lmao

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMb-2I3oiyQ
Old 01-19-2010, 02:53 PM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
Originally Posted by n3o
uhhh turbo more reliable than supercharger...?
for the TL i thought so, the comptech doesnt come tuned does it ???

Originally Posted by RonJonTL757
^ no Sir Supercharger is MORE reliable than a Turbo...but for power its Turbo> SC
i honestly thought the turbo for the TL was more reliable coz of the testing and tuning !!!
Old 01-19-2010, 03:35 PM
Former Whyner

Im all for turbo since i came from a turbo GSR but the kit is 6700.00 plus 1300.00 for the clutch you will EVENTUALLY need and invest on a real set of axles if you wanna hook up on the track so your looking at close to 10 Grand for this kit to LAST

Sorry Ill opt for the 2800-4300 Comptech SC kit.

Also im sure in a year or 2 you will be these turbo kits in the BM due to maintenance cost...
Old 01-19-2010, 03:38 PM
Former Whyner

Originally Posted by swoosh

i honestly thought the turbo for the TL was more reliable coz of the testing and tuning !!!
True but more boost = more problems Sure you can drive around in your 5 psi turbo kit for a while but soon the greed sets in and you upgrade boost
Old 01-19-2010, 04:54 PM
Safety Car

Received 435 Likes on 328 Posts
The CT ACM is a shit attempt at tuning.

It's true that the SC is more reliable because of the lower boost, but the kit as it stands is not more reliable with the current tune.

Last edited by KN_TL; 01-19-2010 at 04:57 PM.
Old 01-19-2010, 05:22 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
This thread is already full of shit. I haven't been here in a while, and damn if the place don't seem like it's going down hill.

How can anyone here say the new (and completely unfielded) turbo kit is more reliable than the Comptech SC (which has been around since 2005)? Is anyone even running the turbo kit yet? All I've seen are a few pics and some deposits collected... maybe I'm not following closely enough.

I'm watching with more than gaurded optimism on the 480 HP success and reliability trend... Because they don't go togther, without top and bottom work, even for 6K.

Secondly, I've been here since 2006, and I can recall exactly 4 cars that have blown up with the SC. I can't remember all the names, but I know there have been 4 that I've followed. I also recall the last one threw a rod and burnt a piston, running lean. The SC doesn't seem to pair well with EVERY catless and free flowing exhaust mod as the shit tuning doesn't compensate for that change... Don't run your SC catless. Don't run catless anyway, it's bad for the air for 12 stupid hp. Loose weight and accomplish the same effect, and much better for you and the world. I also recall one other blew his motor while running nitro and boost... whadday think's gonna happen?

Now we can debate why those blew, and "shit tuning" is likely a partial cause... but the truth is, I've yet to see a reliable REPEATABLE tuning ability anywwhere else. Unless you live close to Churches on the west coast, or close to NVA-AV6, you're about ass out. We can all complain the Comptech tuning solution is weak, but only a few (as in less than 5 I can find) have demonstrated a "better" tuning option.

poopooing a tried and true bolt on kit that has 5 years of demonstrated use by many here is silly... including myself. Shit tuning...? I dunno either. I get the occassional stumble as the tuning is sorting the SC surge... other than that it's a blast to drive. I would have never noticed or complained, cause it actually feels like a turbo surge, without the torque spike.

(Acuratein)Erik drove his beast like he stole it to over 100K miles with a SC, bought a used 3G TL 6MT, and moved the SC over and kept on trucking... How's that a testament to reliability to both it's install on the 3G and the SC platform? Even the educated and expereinced say running the SC is likely very reliable if you run a little meth with it...

Sure, CTSC has risks. I gaurantee you a 6K turbo is gonna have risks too. Let's be realistic here.

Last edited by Kennedy; 01-19-2010 at 05:27 PM.
Old 01-19-2010, 05:49 PM
Pro

Yeah
Old 01-19-2010, 07:27 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bender
Yeah
Bender, you just gave me a flashback!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-NPzpVrmAw&NR=1
Old 01-19-2010, 08:52 PM
Racer

hi, if u want reliability, STAY STOCK!! he he
Old 01-19-2010, 09:23 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by jpoole
Bender, you just gave me a flashback!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-NPzpVrmAw&NR=1
Classic. My fav is when Dan Aykroyd pulls the salmon out of his beard on the bus.

I think the ride you want out of your Acura will probably be found in the RL or some other flagship car. The TL isn't that powerful to haul all that meat around in. 4 is comfortable, 5 gets annoying.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:55 PM
I have car ADD

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Kennedy
This thread is already full of shit. I haven't been here in a while, and damn if the place don't seem like it's going down hill.

How can anyone here say the new (and completely unfielded) turbo kit is more reliable than the Comptech SC (which has been around since 2005)? Is anyone even running the turbo kit yet? All I've seen are a few pics and some deposits collected... maybe I'm not following closely enough.

I'm watching with more than gaurded optimism on the 480 HP success and reliability trend... Because they don't go togther, without top and bottom work, even for 6K.

Secondly, I've been here since 2006, and I can recall exactly 4 cars that have blown up with the SC. I can't remember all the names, but I know there have been 4 that I've followed. I also recall the last one threw a rod and burnt a piston, running lean. The SC doesn't seem to pair well with EVERY catless and free flowing exhaust mod as the shit tuning doesn't compensate for that change... Don't run your SC catless. Don't run catless anyway, it's bad for the air for 12 stupid hp. Loose weight and accomplish the same effect, and much better for you and the world. I also recall one other blew his motor while running nitro and boost... whadday think's gonna happen?

Now we can debate why those blew, and "shit tuning" is likely a partial cause... but the truth is, I've yet to see a reliable REPEATABLE tuning ability anywwhere else. Unless you live close to Churches on the west coast, or close to NVA-AV6, you're about ass out. We can all complain the Comptech tuning solution is weak, but only a few (as in less than 5 I can find) have demonstrated a "better" tuning option.

poopooing a tried and true bolt on kit that has 5 years of demonstrated use by many here is silly... including myself. Shit tuning...? I dunno either. I get the occassional stumble as the tuning is sorting the SC surge... other than that it's a blast to drive. I would have never noticed or complained, cause it actually feels like a turbo surge, without the torque spike.

(Acuratein)Erik drove his beast like he stole it to over 100K miles with a SC, bought a used 3G TL 6MT, and moved the SC over and kept on trucking... How's that a testament to reliability to both it's install on the 3G and the SC platform? Even the educated and expereinced say running the SC is likely very reliable if you run a little meth with it...

Sure, CTSC has risks. I gaurantee you a 6K turbo is gonna have risks too. Let's be realistic here.

Damnnnn Kennedy... haven't seen you posting in a while

Everything he said, is pretty spot on... sure the Turbo will produce more power, but it will most likely... no scratch that, DEFINITELY produce more problems

Like Kennedy said... ACCURATEin ran his supercharger for like 90,000+ on one car, and then swapped it over to another car...

The CT-E supercharger has been tested and tested over and over again... Hell, some DEALERSHIPS will install and warrant the car, with a ct-e (comptech) supercharger

Granted, 65hp for a $3000-$5000 seems a bit pricey, but the car can be daily driven, running low boost, with very little complications... Also, pair the supercharger with a custom intake, exhaust & jpipe, and your car will most likely gain in the ballpark of close to 90whp~~

and as for the few who have "blown" their engines...

I know 1 was USSI, and he had a 3.5L Stroker kit, with a Hondata Tune, and he might have been running the HBP.... Another member, slippry, was also running an HBP

HBP = High Boost pulley... Now, you'll start making like 90+ whp from just the blower @ (i think) 9lbs of boost, but you will most likely fry your piston rings and possibly sling a rod through the block

The TL's engine is VERY high compression in OEM form.... one you start putting a lot of boost, you are playing a dangerous ground. and KNOCK is very important to monitor.

Get the CT-E supercharger, and you'll never regret it.
Old 01-20-2010, 11:44 AM
Former Sponsor

Thank you Kennedy. I wholeheartedly agree. I've seen nothing but unnecessary criticism of the CT-E supercharger on this forum ever since the mention of a turbo kit. I've personally installed 4 of these supercharger kits and every single one of them ran for years without issue. Acuratein, as mentioned, had the S/C on his car for a very long time without issue. There were two members from years ago who also had issues but both of them ran full exhaust mods and nitrous. Of course, the CT tune is not set up for nitrous.

The CT-E kit is a daily driver setup, that coupled with exhaust mods, can make a good amount of power reliably. If you want to have an additional fail safe measure to prevent detonation put a water/meth kit on the car, which will effective increase the octane rating of the gasoline.

Yes, the turbo kit will make more power, but I can almost guarantee that it will likely be less reliable than the CT-E kit. I have both supercharged and turboed cars. I have a 07 Civic Si with CT-E kit, a 99 Accord T3/T04 and a 09 GTi with a GT28RS turbo kit and the supercharged car has always been more reliable. It makes the power consistently and in a very linear fashion and it doesn't require as much maintenance.

Both have pros and cons. It's up to the consumer which is best for them but the CT-E kit is a good kit. It's a complete kit and it works.
Old 01-20-2010, 02:25 PM
347hp/300tq @ 4psi

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

well said Kennedy, BUT i dont agree with keeping the stock cats. PCD's are an absolute must since the SC generates higher EGT's than the stock PC's were designed for. if you run the car on a dyno long enough or out there on a road course, at some point the cats will get wayy to hot and cause a cork in the system, which will cause a nasty boost spike and major loss of power. this isnt just with the stock cats too.. i had the same experience with the procats and they didnt fair well either (im sure youve seen the pics )

i do agree that a person shouldnt be so careless and run completely catless. thats why i am running the stock 3rd cat its far enough away from the engine to not suffer a permature death. im actually going to get a 400cell ceramic HFC produced for some of the SC guys, with a 2 1/2 inlet/outlet made. the stock unit is 900 cell with only 2 1/2 inlet, 1 3/4 outlet.

also, the surge is caused by the ACM itself. partial to mid throttle it gets caught in the middle of switching back n forth between open and closed loop and very poorly made IMO. for me, i dont believe using ANYTHING thats pretuned to a specific application. even with the same mods, all cars are different from one another. even with this turbo kit coming out which comes with an FI/c "pre-tuned" its still going to have to be fine tuned IMHO for each individual, same mods or not =/

i understand your the reasoning behind sticking with the ACM for so long, cause lets face it, there isnt exactly a church automotive on every street corner accross the country. if you can live with the surge and not drive it like you stole it, with some spirited driving inbetween, then anybody should be fine with the kit out of the box. for me, that was never an option. i demand performance, therefore i cover all my bases.

Originally Posted by Excelerate
Thank you Kennedy. I wholeheartedly agree. I've seen nothing but unnecessary criticism of the CT-E supercharger on this forum ever since the mention of a turbo kit. I've personally installed 4 of these supercharger kits and every single one of them ran for years without issue. Acuratein, as mentioned, had the S/C on his car for a very long time without issue. There were two members from years ago who also had issues but both of them ran full exhaust mods and nitrous. Of course, the CT tune is not set up for nitrous.

The CT-E kit is a daily driver setup, that coupled with exhaust mods, can make a good amount of power reliably. If you want to have an additional fail safe measure to prevent detonation put a water/meth kit on the car, which will effective increase the octane rating of the gasoline.

Yes, the turbo kit will make more power, but I can almost guarantee that it will likely be less reliable than the CT-E kit. I have both supercharged and turboed cars. I have a 07 Civic Si with CT-E kit, a 99 Accord T3/T04 and a 09 GTi with a GT28RS turbo kit and the supercharged car has always been more reliable. It makes the power consistently and in a very linear fashion and it doesn't require as much maintenance.

Both have pros and cons. It's up to the consumer which is best for them but the CT-E kit is a good kit. It's a complete kit and it works.
SC absolutely takes the cake in terms of reliability, easier on/off installation and IMO easier on the engine components with its linear powerband, compared to the sudden thrust of torque you get with a TC especially on a 11:1 compression motor, not specifically built for boost from the factory. in terms of potential, well TC will always reign supreme..

you mention the CT-E kit is not tuned for nitrous, but it isnt tuned for meth injection either =/ sure you can run it for safer EGT's and bump the octane a bit for detonation purposes, but without a proper tune, you wont reap the benefits and in turn may loose a few horsies for taking this precaution.

thats why i have to totally disagree with you that its a complete kit. sure it works, but not properly and reliably if your a more than spirited driver. now if it came with a AEM fi/c (pretuned), 310cc injectors, meth kit + radiator, then i'd say its a complete kit

the extras mentioned above, will allow you to drive it like you stole it, im living proof of that. 45k hard miles since my J32A3 swap and still running like a champ and will allow you to get my hp/tq #'s on basically 3psi of boost to boot (with supporting mods as well of course )

Last edited by 04accordcpe; 01-20-2010 at 02:30 PM.
Old 01-20-2010, 02:57 PM
runnin a little boost

Received 255 Likes on 207 Posts
Originally Posted by 04accordcpe

thats why i have to totally disagree with you that its a complete kit. sure it works, but not properly and reliably if your a more than spirited driver. now if it came with a AEM fi/c (pretuned), 310cc injectors, meth kit + radiator, then i'd say its a complete kit

)
Is your car heating up, I don't see where a radiator comes into the pic unless your engine swaping or overheating the stock, which I think is a dual by pass.
Old 01-20-2010, 03:07 PM
Former Sponsor

you mention the CT-E kit is not tuned for nitrous, but it isnt tuned for meth injection either =/ sure you can run it for safer EGT's and bump the octane a bit for detonation purposes, but without a proper tune, you wont reap the benefits and in turn may loose a few horsies for taking this precaution.

Yes, but nitrous is a power-adder. In this case ppl are injecting water/meth to increase octane count to prevent detonation; they aren't necessarily using it to make more power. They would really have to tune the vehicle with the water/meth kit to add power. A small shot of water/meth isn't going to hurt a car; a small shot of nitrous on top of a supercharger can cause damage if not properly tuned for.

Yes, the ACM isn't a perfect solution. With the arrival of the AEM FI/C there is a much better option but the ACM does work. The CT-E kit is complete as a bolt on kit that doesn't really need anything else; yes an AEM FI/C, injectors and water/meth kit would be welcome but then the kit would cost significantly more. We've installed a number of turbo and supercharger kits and CT-E's kits are by far the most complete and install-friendly kits. Again, that is my opinion; everyone has a different opinion of "complete".
Old 01-20-2010, 03:14 PM
347hp/300tq @ 4psi

Originally Posted by Hi speed
Is your car heating up, I don't see where a radiator comes into the pic unless your engine swaping or overheating the stock, which I think is a dual by pass.
well IMO any FI should have a radiator upgrade regardless..., but its not only for heat, its also for location of the outlet spout. its so close to the blower

if you can live with the looks, than NP. if you track your car or run it hard for long periods of time, than a 1 3/4 core (approx double the size as stock) is a must and might as well reloc the spout while your at it
Old 01-20-2010, 03:38 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Sup Blac, just been busy with work/career and family. Getting old shift your priorities, but my TL is still my Sunday escape... for now.

You're one of the guys I was thinking of that had a custom tune... Good stuff.
Allow me to respond...

well said Kennedy, BUT i dont agree with keeping the stock cats. PCD's are an absolute must since the SC generates higher EGT's than the stock PC's were designed for. if you run the car on a dyno long enough or out there on a road course, at some point the cats will get wayy to hot and cause a cork in the system, which will cause a nasty boost spike and major loss of power. this isnt just with the stock cats too.. i had the same experience with the procats and they didnt fair well either (im sure youve seen the pics )

i do agree that a person shouldnt be so careless and run completely catless. thats why i am running the stock 3rd cat its far enough away from the engine to not suffer a permature death. im actually going to get a 400cell ceramic HFC produced for some of the SC guys, with a 2 1/2 inlet/outlet made. the stock unit is 900 cell with only 2 1/2 inlet, 1 3/4 outlet.
I do remember your pics of the procats. It promted me to remove mine and install TL-S cats. To be accurate, the Stock cats are 1100 cell, TL-S are 900cell, and the procats were 600 cell.
If I recall correctly though, the "best theory" for procat deterioration was they were not ulev compatible. I recall ulev runs the engine silly rich at startup to quickly warm the cats to optimal operating temps... I always, and still do believe, the issue was with the procat substrate, and them "burning up" due to startup richness... not the SC.
That said, I've yet to see any member post "my stock primary cat has deteriorated". Maybe most that are SC'd are running PCD's.

I believe you on the rest of the above though. EGT's COULD be a problem. You stated even had problems with overheating cats with 600 cells... yikes
I'm a firm believer, with stock ACM tuning, you need a little backpressure though. Without it, it through the closed loop tuning out of wack.

I absolutely agree though, If I could find the rigght tuner... PCD's with a high flow 3rd cat (ATLP was making one no?), and a proper tune is optimal. Till then TL-S cats, ATLP, and ACM will have to do.

How do you negotiate CA crazy enviro inspection laws?

also, the surge is caused by the ACM itself. partial to mid throttle it gets caught in the middle of switching back n forth between open and closed loop and very poorly made IMO. for me, i dont believe using ANYTHING thats pretuned to a specific application. even with the same mods, all cars are different from one another. even with this turbo kit coming out which comes with an FI/c "pre-tuned" its still going to have to be fine tuned IMHO for each individual, same mods or not =/
That's what it feels like, and to be accurate, it doesn't do it all the time for me... and again, sure... pre-tuned gets you only so much. A proper tune is optimal. If only I had confidence in anyone. NVA-AV6 is only 40 miles from me... A trip is in order, but I've been avoiding it for obvious reasons, I know what I'll do.

i understand your the reasoning behind sticking with the ACM for so long, cause lets face it, there isnt exactly a church automotive on every street corner accross the country. if you can live with the surge and not drive it like you stole it, with some spirited driving inbetween, then anybody should be fine with the kit out of the box. for me, that was never an option. i demand performance, therefore i cover all my bases.
Sort of... I'm in it everytime though. Surge really is no big deal. Again, if noone had pointed out here, I'd never have known to be worried about it.
Hard track work, I agree, you should proper tune, but for anything anyone is doing on the street, I think, and others have proven, it's more than fine.

SC absolutely takes the cake in terms of reliability, easier on/off installation and IMO easier on the engine components with its linear powerband, compared to the sudden thrust of torque you get with a TC especially on a 11:1 compression motor, not specifically built for boost from the factory. in terms of potential, well TC will always reign supreme..

the extras mentioned above, will allow you to drive it like you stole it, im living proof of that. 45k hard miles since my J32A3 swap and still running like a champ and will allow you to get my hp/tq #'s on basically 3psi of boost to boot (with supporting mods as well of course )
LOL... Sure
But to your own logic, pretuned to what? PCD's? PCD's included? I know the injectors are at thier max duty cycle, but why 310mm? Radiator? Edit, answered...

I agree with Josh, but considering the completeness of the kit CT-E offers, these other features are nice to have's. The crap ACM was an attempt to meet the needs of the many, not the needs of the extreme headed to the track. You know this. Your're in one. Track cars are built... not bought... as a kit or off the lot.

Someday I'll get there. I guess I need to look at the AEM F/IC
Don't forget those broken axles.

Last edited by Kennedy; 01-20-2010 at 03:40 PM.
Old 01-20-2010, 03:39 PM
347hp/300tq @ 4psi

Originally Posted by Excelerate
Yes, but nitrous is a power-adder. In this case ppl are injecting water/meth to increase octane count to prevent detonation; they aren't necessarily using it to make more power. They would really have to tune the vehicle with the water/meth kit to add power. A small shot of water/meth isn't going to hurt a car; a small shot of nitrous on top of a supercharger can cause damage if not properly tuned for.

Yes, the ACM isn't a perfect solution. With the arrival of the AEM FI/C there is a much better option but the ACM does work. The CT-E kit is complete as a bolt on kit that doesn't really need anything else; yes an AEM FI/C, injectors and water/meth kit would be welcome but then the kit would cost significantly more. We've installed a number of turbo and supercharger kits and CT-E's kits are by far the most complete and install-friendly kits. Again, that is my opinion; everyone has a different opinion of "complete".
true, in fact i opted for the meth kit soley for its cooling capabilities, more so than adding power. the added octane will cause a rich condition and will cause a loss in a few ponies without any type of a/f tuning + timing adjusting

so yes, people are adding meth just not for extra hp, but to help prevent detonation. but at the same time, its costing them hp too :/ regardless,.. that is a trade off id take any day

i just cant stress enough, how a good tune will take you a loooong way. at bare minumum, FI/c, injectors and meth should always be on the list, if opting for SCing.

a CT-E kit right out of the box with adding meth will yeild some nice hp (60+)for sure.

BUT!! a CT-E kit with meth, injectors, AEM FI/c with proper tune will give you 35+ more hp/tq easy....

lets see, $4200 for the kit will give you 60+hp

now, $1000 more for extras will give you 30+hp (and increase in reliability)

for the hp/$ ratio, its a no-brainer
Old 01-20-2010, 04:33 PM
Former Sponsor

true, in fact i opted for the meth kit soley for its cooling capabilities, more so than adding power. the added octane will cause a rich condition and will cause a loss in a few ponies without any type of a/f tuning + timing adjusting

so yes, people are adding meth just not for extra hp, but to help prevent detonation. but at the same time, its costing them hp too :/ regardless,.. that is a trade off id take any day

i just cant stress enough, how a good tune will take you a loooong way. at bare minumum, FI/c, injectors and meth should always be on the list, if opting for SCing.

a CT-E kit right out of the box with adding meth will yeild some nice hp (60+)for sure.

BUT!! a CT-E kit with meth, injectors, AEM FI/c with proper tune will give you 35+ more hp/tq easy....

lets see, $4200 for the kit will give you 60+hp

now, $1000 more for extras will give you 30+hp (and increase in reliability)

for the hp/$ ratio, its a no-brainer
Yes the upgrade is definitely worth it for power gains. That's what I would recommend doing for more power/reliability. I just wanted it to be clarified that the kit can be used reliably right out of the box. Nothing else is needed. Of course, improvements can be made. But most ppl do that in stages: S/C, exhaust mods, water/meth kit, etc.
Old 01-21-2010, 05:06 PM
Former Whyner

Quezzztion... is there any benefit of adding an intercooler for the SC? Also can a blow off valve be possible or even necessary?

BTW cant flame me for the IC question cuz i have seen it, but the blow off question might be just a dumb question but i still wanna know.
Old 01-21-2010, 05:19 PM
Pro

Quezzztion... is there any benefit of adding an intercooler for the SC? Also can a blow off valve be possible or even necessary?

BTW cant flame me for the IC question cuz i have seen it, but the blow off question might be just a dumb question but i still wanna know.
MMMM cold air is always better.
Old 01-21-2010, 06:45 PM
I (don't) whine.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just check out accurateins intercooler...you'll get lower IAT temps, but there was a long debate here not too long ago about if it will provide usable benefits. Blow off valve regulates boost pressure after the throttle is cut and releases it into the air instead of into your engine and you just don't build boost the way a turbo does so its not possible.
Old 01-21-2010, 07:01 PM
I (don't) whine.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^oops i can't edit but that's the wastegates job. the bov however will 'dump' pressure from the intake manifold once the throttle closes as a vacuum is created in the intake. still useless on a s/c.
Old 01-21-2010, 07:04 PM
I have car ADD

)

Question.... Doesnt the ATLP or XLR8 high flow cat , fit the 7th gen accord? I believe they are both 300 cell/count
Old 01-21-2010, 07:08 PM
I have car ADD

I do remember your pics of the procats. It promted me to remove mine and install TL-S cats. To be accurate, the Stock cats are 1100 cell, TL-S are 900cell, and the procats were 600 cell.
If I recall correctly
I know there was a lot of confusion around the time of people finally altering the primary cats.... but if i recall correctly, (and im not 100%) I thought the Primary Cats on the UA6 were 900 cell/count and the Primaries on the TL-S were 600 cell/count

both cars, 3rd cat was 350 cell/count.... i believe i read the information directly on either Honda or Acura's website... ill have to double check though

I had the e-shit pro-cats on my UA6... i forgot, but i think they were 600 cell/count also.... what a waste of money those things were... they did give power gains, but mine failed.... TWICE
Old 01-21-2010, 07:10 PM
I have car ADD

Here, I found the article in case anybody is interested

http://www.hondanews.com/categories/735/releases/3747

To reduce weight and move the engine's two primary catalytic converters as close as possible to the combustion chambers, the TL and TL Type-S exhaust manifolds are cast right into the cylinder heads. A 900-cell per-square-inch (600-cell per-square-inch in Type-S) high efficiency converter mounts directly to the exhaust port of each cylinder head for extremely rapid converter light off after the engine starts. This mounting system has the added benefit of eliminating traditional exhaust header pipes for a significant weight savings.

To ensure optimum flow and reduce backpressure, a hydroformed 2-into-1 collector pipe carries spent gases down to a 350 cell per-square-inch secondary converter under the passenger cabin.

I wonder if the UA8 & UA9 have the same primary cats, and what the cell count is on those
Old 01-23-2010, 08:17 AM
Green Machine

Received 42 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by BLACKURA_NY
I know there was a lot of confusion around the time of people finally altering the primary cats.... but if i recall correctly, (and im not 100%) I thought the Primary Cats on the UA6 were 900 cell/count and the Primaries on the TL-S were 600 cell/count

both cars, 3rd cat was 350 cell/count.... i believe i read the information directly on either Honda or Acura's website... ill have to double check though

I had the e-shit pro-cats on my UA6... i forgot, but i think they were 600 cell/count also.... what a waste of money those things were... they did give power gains, but mine failed.... TWICE
Actually the procats were 200 cell; at least thats what was advertised. I still have my 3rd one on which is still good; including having the outlet opened to 2.5".

https://acurazine.com/forums/sponsored-sales-group-buys-10/e-shift-pro-cats-04-tl-03-accord-v6-336900/

Last edited by t0talacuratl; 01-23-2010 at 08:21 AM.
Old 01-23-2010, 09:49 AM
Former Whyner

need some advice here from you guys... I have been running procats for about a year 20K miles or so and I bought them used and I believe they had about 20-30K previous so its obvious that I got a good set.

What would you recommend I run with a SC? should I chance it with procats or get some V2's from Ritche but my buddy ^T0TAL said maybe S-Cats... What should I do??
Old 01-23-2010, 12:13 PM
I have car ADD

need some advice here from you guys... I have been running procats for about a year 20K miles or so and I bought them used and I believe they had about 20-30K previous so its obvious that I got a good set.

What would you recommend I run with a SC? should I chance it with procats or get some V2's from Ritche but my buddy ^T0TAL said maybe S-Cats... What should I do??
if you plan s/c'ing the car.... DITCH the pro-cats... they will most likely fail,and if they failed, you'll need to remove the blower to get access to them....

Either get the V2 Pre-Cat Deletes, or pick up a set of 07-08 TL-S UA7 Primary cats
Old 01-23-2010, 10:05 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by BLACKURA_NY
Question.... Doesnt the ATLP or XLR8 high flow cat , fit the 7th gen accord? I believe they are both 300 cell/count
Yes the 04-08 TL and 03-07 Accord V6 can use the same 3rd cat.
Old 01-24-2010, 12:13 AM
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 290 Posts
Not that I am speak from first-hand experience, just repeating things that I have read on our forum.

If you want to be absolutely safe, do not run any primary cats (the third cat is ok) with the SC. A primary cat might shatter. When it does shatter, the pieces will be ingested into the engine (via the exhaust port) and will damage the engine.

Get the PCD.

Last edited by Inaccurate; 01-24-2010 at 12:16 AM.

Quick Reply: Supercharging the TL