Supercharging the TL

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 09:05 PM
A J35A8 EG civic is in

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by CBP08TL
I am not s/c'ed but from research...

-you must upgrade your plugs (two step colder) - i.e. NGK Iridiums BKR8EIX
-yes, but don't have to crush your FPR if you upgrade your injectors and/or upgrade fuel pump.

i would consider installing the tranny cooler before since the s/c will be in the way.

btw - who is doing the install and tuning your flashpro?

Goodluck, sounds like a fun build and you are well on your way with all the necessary material.

here is a more recent s/c build with all your answers:
https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-performance-parts-modifications-112/2012-supercharger-jr-ecu-build-841336/
Tuning I'm not sure of yet, but I will be installing it myself, with the help of friends at my friend's shop. Guess I will look in to tranny cooler installation and see. Thanks for the info! I can't wait, I've been dying to do this and finally am able to. I just want to make sure I don't wreck anything

Originally Posted by 04WDPSeDaN
Sup bro! Enjoy it, while you can before temps get very hot outside. I will say it based installing the kit (I had to remove the kit and then reinstall it due to the warranty claim), it's a pretty straight forward install. Under hood temps are going to be pretty hot and I mean hot. Highly suggest you install a CAI and DON'T CONNECT the coolant lines back to the TB.

If your pushing more air you need more fuel, by crushing the regulator your going to have 10 PSI more fuel. If your installing this kit, you will need to AT LEAST crush the regulator. It won't hurt anything when you do injector upgrades. If you looking for long term you need to monitor knock and at least venture to meth kit. You will need to figure out what to do with the temps under the hood. That entire engine bay will be hot, the more you whine the hotter it gets.

I wouldn't use the old plugs unless they have very low miles. Usually from what I've been told they last approx 25K. I could be wrong. Exhaust mods are usually recommended to free up the flow. I have the ATLP J-pipe and comptech catback didn't feel the need to upgrade to precat deletes.

Keep in mind, like I said a million times, this was built and tested on a STOCK TL. Yes, the management system isn't the best but luckily now 07-08 have the flash pro (I believe the 06 as well) which will be better than the ACM. There are 2 versions to the ACM. I have the updated version that comptech did their very best to correct the surge. I will say over the winter season I surged 2-5x in the month and it being extremely minor. Now with temps rising, I may surge 2x every drive but still fairly minor.

The best way to go about this in the long term of things is full exhaust work, meth kit, tune, injectors and some other form to keep that intake manifold cooler. Like I said, this kit was put and tested for a STOCK CAR. Anything more than what you have is only a plus. Best of luck, enjoy it!
I'm trying to keep it on the DL for now til Honda Day :P. Hopefully I can get this install done in time, I'm always busy with school
Do you have your knock sensor wire connected to the ACM? I read that caused it to surge a lot. TB coolant lines are bypassed, and I am going to custom make a CAI. I was also looking in to "the ultimate cooling mod" to help the high temps out. I have a beater car so I'm not really worried about it too much as I won't have to be driving it daily in the heat. I already have the freest flowing exhaust possible so that's taken care of, and spark plugs are a definite since mine probably have close to 70k on them.
That is quite a bit of surge. Hopefully I won't have that with the Flashpro, which by the way came in the mail yesterday . Thank you for all the info!

Originally Posted by Richkid1102
G/L on the build
Thanks!

Originally Posted by ziggyh22
If your using FlashPro you dont have to Crush the FPR because you can control fuel trims with FlashPro and it will be adjusted while getting tuned. Just DONT boost past 0lbs while S/C'd and NOT tuned or Zip Tie the bypass valve open so boost will bleed out until you get it tuned Also with the FlashPro you dont have to run Colder Spark Plugs cause you can adjust timing to compensate for boosting I would recomend replacing the plugs with new ones and just go with factory spec. Pretty sure there will be other people that will say different then what i suggested but this info is from Doug the owner of Hondata himself. Good Luck!
Colder plugs will help to prevent detonation so I will go with those since I need new plugs anyway. Thank you on the information about the FPR. I was thinking the same which is what made me ask. Doesn't it come with a SC map? I was thinking of running that until May when the temps get hotter and I can get my RDX injectors in. So I can get them tuned with it.
Thanks!
Old 04-11-2013, 12:29 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 306 Likes on 193 Posts
Originally Posted by sunny201
Tuning I'm not sure of yet, but I will be installing it myself, with the help of friends at my friend's shop. Guess I will look in to tranny cooler installation and see. Thanks for the info! I can't wait, I've been dying to do this and finally am able to. I just want to make sure I don't wreck anything

I'm trying to keep it on the DL for now til Honda Day :P. Hopefully I can get this install done in time, I'm always busy with school
Do you have your knock sensor wire connected to the ACM? I read that caused it to surge a lot. TB coolant lines are bypassed, and I am going to custom make a CAI. I was also looking in to "the ultimate cooling mod" to help the high temps out. I have a beater car so I'm not really worried about it too much as I won't have to be driving it daily in the heat. I already have the freest flowing exhaust possible so that's taken care of, and spark plugs are a definite since mine probably have close to 70k on them.
That is quite a bit of surge. Hopefully I won't have that with the Flashpro, which by the way came in the mail yesterday . Thank you for all the info!

Thanks!

Colder plugs will help to prevent detonation so I will go with those since I need new plugs anyway. Thank you on the information about the FPR. I was thinking the same which is what made me ask. Doesn't it come with a SC map? I was thinking of running that until May when the temps get hotter and I can get my RDX injectors in. So I can get them tuned with it.
Thanks!
How many times I tell you...lol. Never run a car without a tune. Denotation isn't mainly coming from spark plugs...its octane to burn up the fuel..never run anything but premium. Main reason for meth..but meth to me isn't needed with 5-6 pounds of boost..its nothing. Run 92/93 always and you will be fine. Monitoring knock will drive you crazy, besides you drive low and slow anyway lol. SC will be just for looks..might as well just place it in your engine bay for hondaday.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:44 AM
A J35A8 EG civic is in

Originally Posted by AckTL05
How many times I tell you...lol. Never run a car without a tune. Denotation isn't mainly coming from spark plugs...its octane to burn up the fuel..never run anything but premium. Main reason for meth..but meth to me isn't needed with 5-6 pounds of boost..its nothing. Run 92/93 always and you will be fine. Monitoring knock will drive you crazy, besides you drive low and slow anyway lol. SC will be just for looks..might as well just place it in your engine bay for hondaday.
93 octane is all that ever went in my car with the exception of less than a handful of times when the dumb gas attendant doesn't hear me -_-.
My tires won't be like before lol, so I will be putting the SC to some use! It's for looks, sound, and those WOT runs that I love . It will be up and running for this weekend. I just want to make sure it's running right which is why I posted this for advice.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:13 AM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Sunny, In my kit when It was purchased new from the last owner (who never installed it) it came with the UPDATED Wiring diagram for the ACM. When I purchased a newer ACM from a member here he had the OLD Wiring Diagram. Like I was telling CBP08TL, You cut one wire going to the ECU. With that one wire cut it will look like this ---- (GAP) -----. For the new diagram you take 2 wires from the ACM and tap them into that cut wire. One wire will tap into one end of the cut wire and another ACM wire taps into the other end of the cut wire. Your making 2 taps on One wire with 2 ACM wires.

On the OLD diagram it required you tap 4 wires, which only one of them is still the same with the new one. Comptech changed what wires to tap and updated the ACM. I spoke to Nate about this for over an hour. He verified the ACM I have is the updated one.

Now I will tell you this. I CAN ONLY COMPARE from 2004 TL MT w/ 2006 CT SC setup only mod being comptech exhaust.

VS

My setup 2004 TL MT w/2012 CT SC setup mods being J-pipe, CAI, TB Bypass, comptech exhaust, Light weight pulley, with new ACM.

I drove his car, It has such a terrible surge like if the car had a dead misfire. It bucked hard and he did nothing to help with exhaust flow or heat control under the hood. This being said, compared to my setup, the surge is a very minor hiccup. It feel like a dead spot on the TPS. IF your in 6th gear going up a slight incline you will surge a bit. The car is trying to get that correct air/fuel and switching from ECU to ACM. It's like having a small twitch in your hand, vs his car which felt like a jolt. I have an 04, the flash pro is worthless for me.

To be honest, I rarely drive my car hard. I get on it for a whole gear and let off. I'll hit it in 2nd or 3rd gear till maybe 6K and then drive it normal for the rest of the time. Even out of boost and driving the car with cruise control on, the blower will get hot. If you pop the hood open and it's on the safety latch it helps bring down temps quickly. I already routed custom air flow tubes from the front bumper to the engine bay, it didn't do much. I also use 93 from Shell, it would be nice if we still had 94 available.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:00 AM
08 TL & 12 ADV/ENT MDX

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by 04WDPSeDaN
Sunny, In my kit when It was purchased new from the last owner (who never installed it) it came with the UPDATED Wiring diagram for the ACM. When I purchased a newer ACM from a member here he had the OLD Wiring Diagram. Like I was telling CBP08TL, You cut one wire going to the ECU. With that one wire cut it will look like this ---- (GAP) -----. For the new diagram you take 2 wires from the ACM and tap them into that cut wire. One wire will tap into one end of the cut wire and another ACM wire taps into the other end of the cut wire. Your making 2 taps on One wire with 2 ACM wires.

On the OLD diagram it required you tap 4 wires, which only one of them is still the same with the new one. Comptech changed what wires to tap and updated the ACM. I spoke to Nate about this for over an hour. He verified the ACM I have is the updated one.

Now I will tell you this. I CAN ONLY COMPARE from 2004 TL MT w/ 2006 CT SC setup only mod being comptech exhaust.

VS

My setup 2004 TL MT w/2012 CT SC setup mods being J-pipe, CAI, TB Bypass, comptech exhaust, Light weight pulley, with new ACM.

I drove his car, It has such a terrible surge like if the car had a dead misfire. It bucked hard and he did nothing to help with exhaust flow or heat control under the hood. This being said, compared to my setup, the surge is a very minor hiccup. It feel like a dead spot on the TPS. IF your in 6th gear going up a slight incline you will surge a bit. The car is trying to get that correct air/fuel and switching from ECU to ACM. It's like having a small twitch in your hand, vs his car which felt like a jolt. I have an 04, the flash pro is worthless for me.

To be honest, I rarely drive my car hard. I get on it for a whole gear and let off. I'll hit it in 2nd or 3rd gear till maybe 6K and then drive it normal for the rest of the time. Even out of boost and driving the car with cruise control on, the blower will get hot. If you pop the hood open and it's on the safety latch it helps bring down temps quickly. I already routed custom air flow tubes from the front bumper to the engine bay, it didn't do much. I also use 93 from Shell, it would be nice if we still had 94 available.
He wont be having any surging issues cause hes running Hondata he can control open loop and closed loop tuning that is from my experience where the surging comes from when the car is switching from open loop to closed loop and adjust timing when boost is kicking in. But with Flashpro you can control when the o2 sensor will switch from open to closed loop on any PSI of boost and adjust timing accordingly. When I was running FIC (which I have one for sale) I would still have some surging when I switched to Flashpro it was all eliminated!
Old 04-11-2013, 02:24 PM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
def intall a trans cooler!. also important to monitor trans temps so you can have an understanding on what it is going through. she heats up fast. (I have a oil temp guage with "jig" to mount right into the line for sale. lmk) also ask some of the more informed members but I think you should only go one step colder on spark plugs, not two. rdx injectors is the way to go. meth i would say def. knock monitor? not sure. u relocating the battery?
Old 04-11-2013, 05:13 PM
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts
^^ are the rdx injectors plug and play? Do you need pigtails? Is it just a matter of splicing wires?
Old 04-11-2013, 07:28 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,282 Posts
Originally Posted by AckTL05
5-6 psi from an undersized roots blower will require significantly more octane than an intercooled turbo setup at 10-12psi. The blower will be delivering 300+ degree charge air while the turbo setup might be just a couple degrees above ambient.

Meth is not just octane, its cooling and its fuel.

Knock should always be monitored under boost. It's more important than AFR, more important than any other gauge.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:26 PM
Racer

Rdx will require sion tc iirc pig tails or splicing.. They are not direct pnp.knock should be monitored but under boost u will always knock. The time this was the main concern was with the acm, since tuning has progressed many just support the FI build.

Last edited by handsom-hustla; 04-11-2013 at 08:28 PM.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:11 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by handsom-hustla
Rdx will require sion tc iirc pig tails or splicing.. They are not direct pnp.knock should be monitored but under boost u will always knock. The time this was the main concern was with the acm, since tuning has progressed many just support the FI build.
Nope. It should never knock, especially in boost. Knock should always be monitored no matter what. Your tune can be perfect but all it takes is for fuel pressure to drop, atmospheric conditions change, oil burning lowering the octane, etc. On a FI build knock monitoring is the number one priority. I would have a knock gauge before I would have oil pressure or AFR.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:10 PM
MAS
Three Wheelin'

Received 327 Likes on 261 Posts
So I have heard you should allow to build any boost before getting a tune. But if you bought a used kit and will end up with exactly the same setup as previous owner what is the difference from driving without a tune (relying on previous fic tune) vs Comptech acm which is the same for everyone?
Old 04-14-2013, 03:55 PM
MAS
Three Wheelin'

Alright Aziners.....pls help me out of a pinch here. Just finished installing the S/C on my car. And car now wont start. I tries but cant. I checked and it seems the fuel pump does not turn on. I unplugged the fuel pump and checked voltage and dont get anything when switch is turned to ON. I unmounted the pump again and powered it direct to the battery and it turns on. So it seems the fuel pump is not being told to turn on. I check to see if any plugs seem to be disconnected...no. I check to see if ground seemed to be an issue...grounds seem fine. Rechecked plugs on fuel tank assembly....connected. I disconnected the AEM FIC although it is only supposed to kit in during open loop right??...and put it back to just oem ecu (with battery unplugged of course). I checked the fuel pump fuse...still good.

Actually i just checked the fuel pump fuse and it powers on and off with the switch but the plug at the pump never gets power.

Any ideas??

Last edited by MAS; 04-14-2013 at 04:08 PM.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:34 PM
08 TL & 12 ADV/ENT MDX

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by MAS
Alright Aziners.....pls help me out of a pinch here. Just finished installing the S/C on my car. And car now wont start. I tries but cant. I checked and it seems the fuel pump does not turn on. I unplugged the fuel pump and checked voltage and dont get anything when switch is turned to ON. I unmounted the pump again and powered it direct to the battery and it turns on. So it seems the fuel pump is not being told to turn on. I check to see if any plugs seem to be disconnected...no. I check to see if ground seemed to be an issue...grounds seem fine. Rechecked plugs on fuel tank assembly....connected. I disconnected the AEM FIC although it is only supposed to kit in during open loop right??...and put it back to just oem ecu (with battery unplugged of course). I checked the fuel pump fuse...still good.

Actually i just checked the fuel pump fuse and it powers on and off with the switch but the plug at the pump never gets power.

Are you plugging in the FIC correctly? There are two plugs on the extension harness that can be reversed and cause the car not to start and pop up a error on the dash "check starter" it has happens to me before so double check your harness when plugging into the ECU.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:18 PM
MAS
Three Wheelin'

So my S/C install is almost complete. Only pending items are: new meth nozzle to replace leaky one, cooling mod to release some heat, and better intake piping to improve flow over COmptech intake. Besides that everything seems good except i also have that delayed start issue since installing the S/C. I've been talking with a friend from Azine and we are looking into the FPR. I'm going to do a test when i get more time. I believe the only person on here with the S/C kit who did not crush the FPR is handsome-hustla. I wonder if the crushed FPR is what is causing it.
Old 04-26-2013, 02:12 PM
iWhine

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by I hate cars
Nope. It should never knock, especially in boost. Knock should always be monitored no matter what. Your tune can be perfect but all it takes is for fuel pressure to drop, atmospheric conditions change, oil burning lowering the octane, etc. On a FI build knock monitoring is the number one priority. I would have a knock gauge before I would have oil pressure or AFR.
So What do you recommend as a knock gauge/monitor?
Old 04-26-2013, 04:44 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 591 Likes on 455 Posts
something that will pull timing when detected
Old 04-26-2013, 04:51 PM
Team Owner

Timing is not enough once it starts, the stock ECU will pull timing. The only way to stop it once it starts is to lift. Something loud usually works better than a visual such as an LED that lights up with knock.
Old 04-26-2013, 05:24 PM
iWhine

OK well something audible to indicate knock would be preferable. So what are you currently using? I am looking online but I don't see a lot of choices.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:06 PM
runnin a little boost

Received 255 Likes on 207 Posts
Us turbo guys are using a knock sensor system called the knock box if I remember correctly. It hooks up to the stock knock sensor and uses a led to warn of knock. You could add a buzzer instead of the led if you want to use an audible warning. I am happy with the visual warning, it gives a more subtle reminder.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:28 PM
Racer

I didn't crush my fpr bc I had the rdx injectors, I too did and still have the lag in starting even after the blower has come off. Ill be Getting a new starter in the near future.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:54 PM
Team Owner

It sounds like you ran boost without monitoring knock or you allowed it to knock while monitoring. Either way I would be checking compression for a slow to start condition.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:18 PM
MAS
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by handsom-hustla
I didn't crush my fpr bc I had the rdx injectors, I too did and still have the lag in starting even after the blower has come off. Ill be Getting a new starter in the near future.
Well that just throws me for a loop. So you got the delayed start once going S/C even without crushing the fpr but once you removed the kit you still kept the delayed start. Did you leave the injectors or anything else on the car?
Old 04-30-2013, 06:11 PM
iWhine

Originally Posted by I hate cars
It sounds like you ran boost without monitoring knock or you allowed it to knock while monitoring. Either way I would be checking compression for a slow to start condition.
Well I had this delayed start issue as well after the S/C was installed. I was thinking FPR when I was experiencing it as well but the starting issue to me felt almost like there isn't enough fuel to ignite as there were even times when it would stumble as if almost catching but not quite. The only thing that seems to have fixed it so far for me is the Hondata ECU as now the car starts up normal.
Old 05-15-2013, 03:09 PM
MAS
Three Wheelin'

How do you know when you have the right quantity and boost start point for meth injection?? Pls dont say dyno testing.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:59 AM
KingKong_Dav

Received 83 Likes on 74 Posts
I will be supercharging my TL-S 5AT. i dont know what to expect. Im kind of shakey because there is no known TL-S Supercharged that had sucess. I will be relying on HONDATA FlashPRO. Im not worried about Fitment because it bolts on with a battery relocation mod. its the tuning im worried about. With the help of a few contacts I think it will be safe to be boosted. There was a couple of old threads with epic fails for the Type S supercharged but I hope I can flip this around with Hondata.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:14 AM
A J35A8 EG civic is in

Originally Posted by kingkong_dav
I will be supercharging my TL-S 5AT. i dont know what to expect. Im kind of shakey because there is no known TL-S Supercharged that had sucess. I will be relying on HONDATA FlashPRO. Im not worried about Fitment because it bolts on with a battery relocation mod. its the tuning im worried about. With the help of a few contacts I think it will be safe to be boosted. There was a couple of old threads with epic fails for the Type S supercharged but I hope I can flip this around with Hondata.
Where did you read that it bolts right on?

I don't think tuning is an issue at all, it's just that the blower supplied with the kit is already undersized for the 3.2, which makes it worse on the 3.5.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:27 AM
KingKong_Dav

Ill find out my kit should arrive this tues.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:21 AM
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by kingkong_dav
Ill find out my kit should arrive this tues.
Whose kit did you buy? Or did you purchase new?
Did you keep you flashpro?

Last edited by CBP08TL; 01-06-2014 at 11:24 AM.
Old 01-06-2014, 01:51 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 224 Likes on 148 Posts
ive heard that the rdx injectors might be a direct pnp onto the type-s, not too sure about that. can anyone chime in on this?
Old 01-06-2014, 04:03 PM
MAS
Three Wheelin'

Congrats on the buy!

RSX-S injectors are plug-n-play for my UA6.
Hondata will be your best friend (Vit is tuning mine, happy so far)
Meth will also be your friend (mine is working from the wiper system).
HBP....respect it, but do it.
Aftermarket CAI is a must to maximize whine :-)

Have Fun!!!
Old 01-06-2014, 05:14 PM
KingKong_Dav

good lookin MAS i like members who actually help!
Old 01-06-2014, 07:58 PM
MAS
Three Wheelin'

no problem.....pm with any questions.

Btw, i have also heard/read many places you should eliminate the first cats because of the higher exhaust temps they might deteriorate faster and it could suck some loose chunks in, creating havoc. Besides who needs those damn cats anyways. :-) Just put in a Vibrant ultra quiet resonator and the rasp & excessive sound will be totally eliminated.
Old 01-07-2014, 03:35 PM
KingKong_Dav

Originally Posted by CBP08TL
Whose kit did you buy? Or did you purchase new?
Did you keep you flashpro?
i bought vtecmini's kit. practically new considering it only got 15k miles on it. everything was included the custom supercharger bracket to fit on the Type S transmission, the battery cables to the trunk, the battery box, CAI, P/S adpater, belt, hose, acm, all nuts and hardware, a fuel pump with a precrush fpr, crush tool, and boost and a/f gauges. it is 99% drop in ready just missing camshaft O ring and the comptech air intake system. i still have my flash pro and i think ill choose sean church from church auto to tune it
Old 01-07-2014, 03:37 PM
KingKong_Dav

Originally Posted by MAS
no problem.....pm with any questions.

Btw, i have also heard/read many places you should eliminate the first cats because of the higher exhaust temps they might deteriorate faster and it could suck some loose chunks in, creating havoc. Besides who needs those damn cats anyways. :-) Just put in a Vibrant ultra quiet resonator and the rasp & excessive sound will be totally eliminated.
i have PCD, RV6 V3 Jpipe and Megan O.E RS catback. i run everything royal purple, engine oil, atf, ps fluid, coolant additive....