Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 04:46 PM
M3RKED

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i think ill go SC but i need other shit before i drop that much cash lol
Old 01-24-2010, 04:49 PM
Former Whyner

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Is there a legit DIY on the SC? I searched the other threads and the garage and found nothing.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:02 AM
M3RKED

XLR8 is the SC system possible to install yourself if you have some reasonable experience with that sort of thing? if so whats involved to get the kit working...any major mods to the engine area? thanks
Old 01-25-2010, 11:10 AM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by RonJonTL757
Is there a legit DIY on the SC? I searched the other threads and the garage and found nothing.
The directions that come with the kit are so self explanatory a DIY is not needed... It's about as step by step as the Honda service manual. I did mine on a Saturday all by myself.

I can't access the CT-E site from work, but thier used to be the install pdf there. If someone has it, please link it...
Old 01-25-2010, 11:32 AM
Full of water...

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
other than the basic install procedures, you also need to either relocate the battery or replace with a smaller one.
Old 01-25-2010, 01:05 PM
Former Whyner

Thanks Kennedy and Blkaspec

I already paid for 52% of my kit hopefully I can get the rest next month and hopefully look for a late Feb install
Old 01-25-2010, 02:03 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Originally Posted by blkaspec
other than the basic install procedures, you also need to either relocate the battery or replace with a smaller one.
Battery relocation is part of the install. All parts to relocate the battery are included in the kit, and the directions explain how to install it.

The battery (Intersate 51R series) is the only thing NOT included.

Again, I'm a fan of the CT-E kit for completeness and ease of install/use alone.
Old 01-25-2010, 02:18 PM
Under construction

Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts
Thanks Kennedy and Blkaspec

I already paid for 52% of my kit hopefully I can get the rest next month and hopefully look for a late Feb install
Not bad man Looks like you should have it for our next NC/VA meet
Old 01-25-2010, 02:49 PM
M3RKED

tight work im gonna get it then
Old 01-25-2010, 04:50 PM
347hp/300tq @ 4psi

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Kennedy
Battery relocation is part of the install. All parts to relocate the battery are included in the kit, and the directions explain how to install it.

The battery (Intersate 51R series) is the only thing NOT included.

Again, I'm a fan of the CT-E kit for completeness and ease of install/use alone.
true, but your battery options are somewhat limited =/

i suggest anyone looking to SC their TL, buy a relocation kit to put the battery in the trunk. it will save you ALOT of hassle in the long run incase your battery needs replacement (trust me i know) and give you more working space under the hood for future maintenance
Old 01-25-2010, 05:19 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Originally Posted by 04accordcpe
true, but your battery options are somewhat limited =/

i suggest anyone looking to SC their TL, buy a relocation kit to put the battery in the trunk. it will save you ALOT of hassle in the long run incase your battery needs replacement (trust me i know) and give you more working space under the hood for future maintenance
That's on my to do list one day... 3 reasons:
- Bigger battery (I got a lot of elec accessories)
- Weight balance
- Free up space for the meth sprayer motor.

but,
I haven't found it to be a problem yet... You can remove the intake and slip that battery right out as is. It's not hard, but it's not fun either.

Perhaps this summer I'll do a relo...

By the way, here's the installation instruction manual:
http://www.autocarparts.com/part/1649/0/
"click on install manual" and print.

Anyone buying used should contact me directly. The key to a successful install is to go through your parts list and moc up the install using the directions BEFORE install day. If you bought used, you're likely missing something, I'm certain of that. You also need new gaskets for the intake, throttle body and EGR. I'd get new Denso IK22 plugs, and likely a new accessory belt. Buy some PS and coolant in advance as well.

I installed in phases. One day, the battery relocation went in... You can keep driving that way. Took about 2 hours...

The next weekend, I did all the required "dremel trimming", which wasn't necessary anyway, but it's done. I also installed the radiator hose and new bottle, and topped off the coolant. I also mounted the alternator side mount bracket.
Took about another 2 hours.

Install day was easy... Install plugs, remove EGR, install blower, reinstall EGR, and then install the power steering fitting...

Then ya gotta pull the fuel pressure regulator (fpr) and install it (my used SC came with a pre-crushed fpr). Those gun shy may want to buy one and send it off to CT-E and have them crush it. Any error with install seems to happen with the fpr. That took a few hours having never pulled a float before.

Then wired in the ACM... 30 minutes for that.

Having that one missing bolt, gasket, etc can force you to compromise the install, or worse, return to stock to get drivable again.
Old 01-25-2010, 05:52 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
The CT-E kit comes with complete instructions, including pics and diagrams.

Originally Posted by DRS25
XLR8 is the SC system possible to install yourself if you have some reasonable experience with that sort of thing? if so whats involved to get the kit working...any major mods to the engine area? thanks
Yes it is a fairly easy kit to install. It also depends on your ability. If you can install intakes, suspension, exhaust mods, brakes, etc then yes you can do it. If you can't then no I'd leave it to a shop.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:40 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I ran the cte blower on my 07 civic si and it ran like a top. A 10psi 300whp top.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:13 PM
Former Whyner

Originally Posted by SlowDown
I ran the cte blower on my 07 civic si and it ran like a top. A 10psi 300whp top.
Nice !! any pics or vids?

also what do you mean "it ran like a top"
Old 01-25-2010, 09:22 PM
Advanced

Nice !! any pics or vids?

also what do you mean "it ran like a top"
it ran perfectly

Code:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/X-J1E8kk_kU&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/X-J1E8kk_kU&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Old 01-25-2010, 09:28 PM
Advanced

sorry couldn't figure out how to embed video here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-J1E8kk_kU
Old 01-25-2010, 10:21 PM
I have car ADD

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts
thats alot of boost....

obviously, it was an Si.... whats the C/R on the K20Z3
Old 01-25-2010, 10:27 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by BLACKURA_NY
thats alot of boost....

obviously, it was an Si.... whats the C/R on the K20Z3
12:1 i think, it ran pretty hot. i used the meth solely to cool, not for more timing.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:32 PM
Former Whyner

very very nice that bitch moves!!!

are the SI gears that short or you didnt take it to 8400K?

guess im just used to TL and GSR ratios either way sweet ass vid man thanks for sharing
Old 01-26-2010, 12:41 AM
I have car ADD

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts
12:1 i think, it ran pretty hot. i used the meth solely to cool, not for more timing.
thats an awesome build there... but man, you gotta be careful... do you have any upgraded internals?
Old 01-26-2010, 04:55 AM
347hp/300tq @ 4psi

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Kennedy
That's on my to do list one day... 3 reasons:
- Bigger battery (I got a lot of elec accessories)
- Weight balance
- Free up space for the meth sprayer motor.

but,
I haven't found it to be a problem yet... You can remove the intake and slip that battery right out as is. It's not hard, but it's not fun either.

Perhaps this summer I'll do a relo...
yes, those are 3 great reasons to relo the battery for sure, especially for the weight distribution aspects. if you can, install it on the right side of trunk (wish id done this) for even better distribution. it will work well if you have a tank of a battery like the optima.

also just another FYI, when it comes time, remember you either have to custom fab a coolant overflow tank holder altogether OR you can do what i did and cut the holder from the battery tray that comptech provides itself and get some L brackets to hold it to the inner frame. heres a pic of mine for reference, notice where my overflow tank is (lower left corner) right underneath the TB elbow. that will be the best spot possible you can find for it

in regards to the meth kit, just remember the pump has to be as close to the tank as possible. removing the battery will free up some space, but it might get a little tight underneath there if you decide to go with a 1 gallon meth tank. a smaller tank will for sure solve this problem, as long as you dont mind filling it up more often than needed. if you want to go stealthy like me and plumb it into your WW reservior, location for the pump then becomes the problem and a custom bracket for that may be needed. either way, a little fabbing will needed here and there, but it is all SO worth it

[/QUOTE]

nice civic!

how did the meth kit work out for you? i dont know if its a good idea to run the meth directly through the charger itself (may cause harm to the rotors) but it looks like you really dont have a choice since the blower mounts directly on to the IM anyways =/ hmmm, i wonder if there was a way to run 4smaller spray nozzles and plumb one into each individual runner =|

BTW, does comptech make an aftercooler for this application?

Last edited by 04accordcpe; 01-26-2010 at 04:59 AM.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:15 AM
Advanced

very very nice that bitch moves!!!

are the SI gears that short or you didnt take it to 8400K?

guess im just used to TL and GSR ratios either way sweet ass vid man thanks for sharing
6speed so they were fairly short and it pulled pretty quickly through them

Originally Posted by BLACKURA_NY
thats an awesome build there... but man, you gotta be careful... do you have any upgraded internals?
it's gone now, but stock top and bottom

nice civic!

how did the meth kit work out for you? i dont know if its a good idea to run the meth directly through the charger itself (may cause harm to the rotors) but it looks like you really dont have a choice since the blower mounts directly on to the IM anyways =/ hmmm, i wonder if there was a way to run 4smaller spray nozzles and plumb one into each individual runner =|

i never fully tuned with the meth, just ran it to keep the intake temps down. it shouldn't affect the blower at all. ct made a prototype aftercooler but the results were minimal so the scrapped the idea.
Old 01-26-2010, 12:47 PM
Former Whyner

I just took a glance at the SC install instructions and man its pretty intimidating. Here is a quick question how much of a PITA would it be to change the battery down the road when it dies?

And this Compressing the Fuel sending unit yeah right I was lost after the 2nd sentance and the exploding diagrams
Old 01-26-2010, 01:39 PM
Pro

I just took a glance at the SC install instructions and man its pretty intimidating. Here is a quick question how much of a PITA would it be to change the battery down the road when it dies?

And this Compressing the Fuel sending unit yeah right I was lost after the 2nd sentance and the exploding diagrams
Just get a Haynes manual and a really nice set of tools. You have to be totally negligent to mess it up.
Old 01-26-2010, 02:53 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts

This is the exact same setup I have on my 07 Si. CT-E S/C Kit with the 3.15" HBP. Hondata released the Flashpro for the FG2/FA5 platform so we basically have K-Pro but in a handheld unit that is fully tuneable. The water/meth kits are a nice safety measure on these kits since there really is not aftercooler application; for the cost ($1k+) it wasn't worth it. The gains were minimal. I'm actually working on a 3" exhaust for the Si's too and combined with a 3" HBP, water/meth and the 3" exhaust with Buddy Club RH I should be at 330-350whp. I'm at 300whp now without the water/meth, exhaust and with the 3.15" HBP.

Stock internals on the K series are good up to 400-450whp
Old 01-26-2010, 03:05 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

See my info above. It's not as easy as changing a battery in a 75 Trans Am... but the battery comes out by removing the intake. It's not that hard.

And the fpr is not hard either. Turn the big wring and remove the float. remove FPR, crush, and replace.

"You can do eettt"...
Old 01-26-2010, 03:34 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 306 Likes on 193 Posts
I did mine and it was simple, just took a long time and was a PAIN. You have to take off the front bumper take out the stock intake system, but I myself went through the right fender wheel-well. I went that way for three reasons: easier then removing the front bumper IMO, I installed my CAI from there and also installed my meth pump to the frame in that location. Then you have to change spark plugs and remove some pieces and bolt it on. Its really simple, just a lot lot lot of work.

BTW: the fuel pump was not that hard. Once you remove everything from the trunk, make sure you remove the system outside since it will have gas on it. Remember everything looks harder then it is.
Old 01-26-2010, 04:02 PM
Former Whyner

^ thanks guys i feel like as long as i have you guys on here Ill be fine....no homo LOL
Old 01-27-2010, 08:38 AM
j1n
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Nice..... i want to see a SC TL at the next meet . i was hoping there would be one at the great falls meet but no1 had one.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:57 AM
Former Whyner

Originally Posted by j1n
Nice..... i want to see a SC TL at the next meet . i was hoping there would be one at the great falls meet but no1 had one.
True but there were alot of closed hoods there haha
Old 01-27-2010, 10:38 AM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Originally Posted by j1n
I'll eventually make it out to a meet...
I drive through the traffic everday commuting (stafford to Tysons - in a hybrid, TL is the Sunday car), the last thing I want to do is drive North on weekend.

Sure would be nice to host a meet around Quantico/Stafford/FBurg (attn Melvin) - Nice middle ground for Richmond and NoVA... and there's lots of commuter lots we could swarm.

When I get there, you'll see this beauty!

WIN!
Old 01-27-2010, 11:22 AM
Former Whyner

^FUCKING WOW Kennedy

My desk just lifted up a bit LOL

Serious work and BLING!!

Nice touch on the Supercharged emblem
Old 01-27-2010, 12:05 PM
Former Whiner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
That does look pretty sweet.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:22 AM
j1n
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
True but there were alot of closed hoods there haha
lol true but i did ask a bunch of people and they said that they didnt and they didnt think any one had one.

Kennedy that looks awesome! also i dunno how the hell you can comute from stafford to tysons EVERYDAY!!!! your insane. i do stafford to springfield and that is a bitch... i would quit if i had to go all the way to tysons.
Old 01-28-2010, 10:27 AM
Pro

shit, now there won't be any chrome left for the rest of us.
Old 01-29-2010, 07:38 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Originally Posted by j1n
Kennedy that looks awesome! also i dunno how the hell you can comute from stafford to tysons EVERYDAY!!!! your insane. i do stafford to springfield and that is a bitch... i would quit if i had to go all the way to tysons.
I am well incentivized...

I work from the couch every once and a while too, and Im the boss, so I kinda set my own hours... but it is a bitch, even for the loot.

FYI, that is not chrome. That is hand polished by fellow member Royce Han... Awesome dude.

Seriously, let's get a SNoVA - NRich meet (South Nova - North Richmond)
Old 02-08-2010, 02:18 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok, I know this thread has swerved off-topic a bit. But those who have turbo'd their TLs, isn't the pull of the steering wheel INSANE? I have the S/C and over anything but perfectly smooth roads, it just tugs and darts. If I had 420 at the wheels, I'd be in the trees by now. Also how are you getting the power down?

Also sort of nice to hear about replacing the battery, the location is less than ideal. Heh.
Old 02-08-2010, 06:06 AM
Racer

First off, for a topic that's been beaten to death in the past, this thread has actually turned out to be informative.

Now to get off-topic. I forget who, but numerous posts ago, someone mentioned that dealerships will install the CT for you and warranty it. I know where I live, the Acura dealerships have a "my ish don't stink" mentality and wouldn't offer to do so. If I did find a dealership that installed it (likely Texas), would the warranty be honored by my local dealership or would they have to option to turn me away. And yeah, I'd rather pay the extra bux to the dealership so if SC causes any engine damage, it's covered.
Old 02-08-2010, 12:46 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ciscopath
First off, for a topic that's been beaten to death in the past, this thread has actually turned out to be informative.

Now to get off-topic. I forget who, but numerous posts ago, someone mentioned that dealerships will install the CT for you and warranty it. I know where I live, the Acura dealerships have a "my ish don't stink" mentality and wouldn't offer to do so. If I did find a dealership that installed it (likely Texas), would the warranty be honored by my local dealership or would they have to option to turn me away. And yeah, I'd rather pay the extra bux to the dealership so if SC causes any engine damage, it's covered.
I wouldn't trust any dealership regarding warranties. My car just fell off warranty so I put on the SC. My dealership has someone who has installed one before, no way I took it there. The warranty wouldn't be honored by your dealership. Also, if the SC causes engine damage, that warranty will be a beotch to get the dealership to honor. Do you have a trusted mechanic nearby? Luckily I live in SoCal so I had the best mechanic for the job. Mrheeltoe *cough* discount *cough*
Old 02-08-2010, 01:48 PM
Advanced

mm super charged with vtec... a turbo would be more efficient and better for your motor overall.

Quick Reply: Supercharging the TL