RV6 V3 Long Tube J-Pipe Release '04-'08 TL all trims **UPDATE PAGE 4**

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 09:26 AM
BANNED

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,784 Posts
^good question on the hardware...i'll check mine out for you this weekend when i install the aspec kit.

unless someone else chimes in with the answer before that. i honestly don't recall if mine were labeled or not.
Old 02-24-2011, 01:43 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Picked up v3 J-Pipe from Richie's Thanksgiving sale finally got a break in the weather headed down to my buddy's shop installed J-Pipe & CT-E exhaust. Had some slight surging from the S/C after installing figure one of the causes could be a restrictive OEM exhaust. Had to pretty much use a torch to heat each bolt & air gun to get them off. One OEM nut & stud came out together from the front flange, we just re-used it with no problems. Also should note I didn't have any problem with the hardware provided and air gun was used to install the new nuts no striping occurred.

As for performance I will return to the dyno come spring once everything is done. After installing the J-Pipe surging was decreased significantly under part throttle but not eliminated totally, hoping an AEM F/IC fixes this problem later. As for feel of the car the J-Pipe made a noticeable difference in pickup and acceleration. The sound is deeper in tone and I'm sure you guys running OEM exhaust would not notice much of a difference at all. With the J-Pipe & CT-E exhaust combination the car is still very quiet with no drone inside at all now developed a nice deep growl in to WOT outside. I'm very happy with the tone & level of sound for my daily driver.

J-Pipe looks like good quality and I'm hoping not to have any problems with it. You won't be disappointed with Rv6's J-Pipe thanks Richie! Couple pics from my cell:

Rv6 J-Pipe:

Reused OEM Nut & Stud stuck together:

CT-E Exhaust Installed:

Last edited by NSXCessive; 02-24-2011 at 01:46 PM. Reason: fixed pic links
Old 02-24-2011, 02:21 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,961 Likes on 14,481 Posts
pics already gone! did you move them?
Old 02-24-2011, 02:29 PM
2007 TL Type-S NBP

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
NSXcessive: Richie said his supplier recently changed hardware so your Thanksgiving purchase probably still has the old hardware. I had the same issue with a stud bolt coming out on my pre-cat, I also just reused it with no problems. My bolts were all labeled grade 8 so it may just be the nuts that were bad. Richie just sent me new hardware so when it gets here I'll swap them out and see if the bolts or the nuts are what stripped, my guess is the nuts. Again, my hats off to Richie for his excellent customer service and high quality product.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:55 PM
Cruisin'

The new additions never seem to amaze me!! Is there any discounts if we buy the RV6 true dual and the long tube j-pipe together?
Old 02-24-2011, 09:41 PM

Hey guys, checked tonight, all my 3 bolts say 8.8 on them. And all the nuts have that brass(ish) color to them like my suspension bolts which leads me to think they are probably high strength too. Richie, does that sound about right?!!

Also, question: and you may want to PM me response rather than reply here...for us that bought just Jpipe originally...once the PCD V3 come out (since they weren't originally available and I wasn't SURE I wanted them because I want to read reviews on a lack of smell and rasp etc)...would you consider providing special pricing like the one you normally give to people ordering the Jpipe and PCD's at once AFTER THE FACT? Meaning, people that already or just bought the jpipe that want to eventually buy the PCD's would you honor the "combined" price you have on the website?

Hopefully that's a clear question...seems to have been difficult to explain.

Thank you,
Jeremy.
Old 02-25-2011, 04:49 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 491 Likes on 233 Posts
Originally Posted by 05illest
The new additions never seem to amaze me!! Is there any discounts if we buy the RV6 true dual and the long tube j-pipe together?
Not sure what I will be doing with the exhaust after the first batch. Originally there was a $100 V3 jpipe and exhaust.

Originally Posted by rockstar143
Hey guys, checked tonight, all my 3 bolts say 8.8 on them. And all the nuts have that brass(ish) color to them like my suspension bolts which leads me to think they are probably high strength too. Richie, does that sound about right?!!

Also, question: and you may want to PM me response rather than reply here...for us that bought just Jpipe originally...once the PCD V3 come out (since they weren't originally available and I wasn't SURE I wanted them because I want to read reviews on a lack of smell and rasp etc)...would you consider providing special pricing like the one you normally give to people ordering the Jpipe and PCD's at once AFTER THE FACT? Meaning, people that already or just bought the jpipe that want to eventually buy the PCD's would you honor the "combined" price you have on the website?

Hopefully that's a clear question...seems to have been difficult to explain.

Thank you,
Jeremy.
Your nuts should be fine, just go easy on them if they feel like the might be starting to strip stop. This was a common problem when we used to send out stainless hardware. The stainless was softer and customers were striping nuts left and right. As long as it hand tight you should be fine no need to go superman on them.

The best I can probably do is offer the current intro PCD pricing. The price will be increasing when they are in stock. These V3 PCDs very expensive to produce compared to the V2. We made a huge investment hoping to solve all quality issues and finalize the product.
Old 02-25-2011, 11:20 AM

Thanks for the info Richie, and to your knowledge, have all these issues been addressed? Smell and Rasp? I know the gains are pretty much equal to the V3 Jpipe (or more since it's an even better/newer version). Have you had any real world testing? Say PCD with Jpipe and stock from that point back (or 3rd cat removed and dynomax resonator Stage III style)?
Old 02-25-2011, 10:15 PM
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 290 Posts
Originally Posted by Richie v6
Your nuts should be fine, just go easy on them......... if they feel like the might be starting to strip, then stop.

According to Doctor Ruth, this is always good advice.
Old 02-26-2011, 03:43 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 491 Likes on 233 Posts
Originally Posted by Inaccurate
According to Doctor Ruth, this is always good advice.
Haha I need to get more sleep.
Old 02-26-2011, 09:08 AM

I thouht it was funny too but didn't mention it because I was appreciative of the advice!
Old 02-28-2011, 03:04 PM
Advanced

pics already gone! did you move them?
No sir they are still there or at least I can see them in my original post. Anyone else having a problem seeing them?

Originally Posted by jpgayan
NSXcessive: Richie said his supplier recently changed hardware so your Thanksgiving purchase probably still has the old hardware. I had the same issue with a stud bolt coming out on my pre-cat, I also just reused it with no problems. My bolts were all labeled grade 8 so it may just be the nuts that were bad. Richie just sent me new hardware so when it gets here I'll swap them out and see if the bolts or the nuts are what stripped, my guess is the nuts. Again, my hats off to Richie for his excellent customer service and high quality product.
Yes I saw a few posts before mine regarding, I must have an old batch didn't have problems with the hardware. I'm glad to hear Richie is taking care of his customers! Seems these days some vendors are always quick to make a sale, but when it comes time to deal with problems they are no where to be found.

J-Pipe has been on for a week now and no problems to report so far I'm enjoying the new J-Pipe + CT-E Exhaust combo
Old 02-28-2011, 05:25 PM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I can see your pics just fine.

Ok so I've had this V3 J pipe for a solid 2 months now and can't stop enjoying it. After breaking it in for a couple months, the exhaust note is deeper and more pronounced. There is definitely a stronger more aggressive tone and I thoroughly enjoy it Has anyone had this same noticeable experience after a couple months installed?
Old 02-28-2011, 09:32 PM

Anyone with a stage III stock exhaust...you WILL hear a difference, absofreakinlutely. And it's intoxicating. I swear to you it sounds like a friggin exotic car.

That said, install was easy enough, got home, jacked car up, disconnected car battery (do to the idle relearn process after) went for a 30 minute jog. By the time I got back exhaust was cool to the touch.

Ok, so I used about a one foot lead pipe as a breaker bar on my 3/8" ratchet. Not a problem. Started the bolts by hand then hit them (the front 6) with my new Makita 18V impact driver. Oh yeah...took all 6 off. I live in South Florida so corrosion was a minimum. That said, I had 2 of the nuts get stuck to the threaded nut that comes down and the whole screw came out with the bolt. Since they bolts were all in decent shape, I opted to reuse them factory bolts (front 6, you can't reuse the back 3).

I also opted to take off the hanger by removing the 2 12MM bolts...much easier to transfer over and get the OEM jpipe down. Put the gaskets on and hand tightened everything, then tightened and torqued down in a circular motion (a few twists then the next nut then the next one till they wouldn't budge).

Then I put everything away...let the engine idle for 5 minutes and warm up.

IMPRESSION:
Amazing...I could hear it as soon as I turned it on. Much more aggressive sounding especially right up around 4K rpms. Just sounds raw and mean...hard to describe. Once warmed up, I took it down the block alone. Now, the older I get the less I am willing to do this...but for test I went down this pretty lonesome road down the back part of my development. I call it the proving grounds cause it's where I go to test out any changes I make. Anyway, the car DOES just feel lighter on it's wheels...like it's wants to move. I normally can punch it from one stop sign to the next and I usually have to shut down at 80MPH to be able to comfortably stop before the end (2nd stop sign)...TODAY, I hit 90MPH before having to slow down. I don't know what that relates to...but other than FEELING faster, I can tell you I absolutely ended up 10MPH faster down a set distance.

2 things, I felt like there is a smell and a little rasp around 4 to 5K. Not low, and not high in RPM's. BUT, that said, the smell smells like virgin metal when it's first been heated...so I'm sure that'll go away. AND, the rasp, I think once some crud builds up in the pipes and the pipe "settles", it'll turn into a much more deep groan.

Intoxicating and I definitely don't regret buying this, one bit.

J.

Richard, kudos to you for creating a quality product with real world results. The hype is absolutely real. I can't wait for my morning commute tomorrow
Old 02-28-2011, 10:09 PM

Want to also add for you weight watchers...OMG...the RV6 pipe is SO much lighter than the OEM one...not sure how much but my GUESS would be probably about 15 pounds lighter. The materials used AND the bypass of that catalytic help a lot.

J.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:44 PM
2007 TL Type-S NBP

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Got my new hardware from Rich today in the mail. All looks great and I'll be swapping out the nuts tomorrow. Thanks again to Rich for the top notch customer service!
Old 03-01-2011, 12:15 AM

Received 1,162 Likes on 847 Posts
just wanted to confirm. this is california smog check legal right? it only removes the 3rd cat or something and doesnt need any relocation of any sensors? also, this is the best J pipe for my 07 tl-s?
Old 03-01-2011, 07:40 AM

Received 16,261 Likes on 11,972 Posts
^no sensors on the 3rd cat. get underneath your car and look for yourself.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:59 AM

And by most, they would say this is the "best one"...
but obviously, that's an opinion...the looks are great, it's fitment is perfect and everything is included for a stress free install.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:16 PM

Oh yeah...
sorry it's upside down, I was too focused on driving to notice! lol...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMTC61MLXQ0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f59BJyL8Q4I
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-btnaStUa3I

Enjoy!
Old 03-01-2011, 08:56 PM
Instructor

Hearing all that makes me want a 6mt
Old 03-01-2011, 09:21 PM

Nice, I want an exhaust now.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:39 AM

Thanks y'all...

That's the thing...I don't have an exhaust. K&N Drop in filter, removed intake resonator, jpipe, dynomax resonator and that is IT. I am baffled as to why it's sounding like this, but I'm happy since I've never considered another exhaust because I love how the stock tips look and wanted a slightly aggressive sound.

PS, I will admit I DO love my 6MT!

PPS, exhaust ALREADY sounds a lot better now no more smell and less tinny/raspy and more deep of a growl. Also, the engine must be adjusting because punching it in 2nd now...wow...the thing just FLIES.

Very happy with this mod!
J.
Old 03-02-2011, 10:52 AM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks y'all...

That's the thing...I don't have an exhaust. K&N Drop in filter, removed intake resonator, jpipe, dynomax resonator and that is IT. I am baffled as to why it's sounding like this, but I'm happy since I've never considered another exhaust because I love how the stock tips look and wanted a slightly aggressive sound.

PS, I will admit I DO love my 6MT!

PPS, exhaust ALREADY sounds a lot better now no more smell and less tinny/raspy and more deep of a growl. Also, the engine must be adjusting because punching it in 2nd now...wow...the thing just FLIES.

Very happy with this mod!
J.
This is actually the first I've heard of it changing sound. I have similar exhaust/intake mods to you (stage 3 dynomax swap + mid muffler delete, but I have AEM v2 as well) and if this j-pipe sounds sweet in addition to the power, I need to get one even more now.

I always thought j-pipe would be nearly unnoticeable sound wise so this is pretty intriguing to me.

Mine is auto though but I wouldn't think that'd make any difference in sound.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:41 AM

I don't know man...I read from everyone that it won't change the sound...wish I had done a before vid for you guys...
TRUST me, from the moment I turned on the car afterward, I was like WTF...this DEFINITELY changes the sound.

Auto will sound similar. Only thing different on mine is where we welded the dynomax resonator on either side we used sleeve inserts (to keep the slag of the weld out of the inside) that are slightly smaller in diameter (to slide in). Don't think that would make a difference in sound but who knows.

Overall, I'm itching to drive my car now moreso than before...

J.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:45 AM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't know man...I read from everyone that it won't change the sound...wish I had done a before vid for you guys...
TRUST me, from the moment I turned on the car afterward, I was like WTF...this DEFINITELY changes the sound.

Auto will sound similar. Only thing different on mine is where we welded the dynomax resonator on either side we used sleeve inserts (to keep the slag of the weld out of the inside) that are slightly smaller in diameter (to slide in). Don't think that would make a difference in sound but who knows.

J.
Nice, I was going to get one regardless for the power benefit but if there's a sound benefit too that's just another plus. I can't decide if I should get it before or after tint though haha.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:00 PM

I think a stock set up, you wont notice the sound change...

but Jer, you have completed the stage 3 Mod which makes the tone more pronounced.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:18 PM

You are right...but if you were gonna do the jpipe anyway...the ~$90 stage 3 mod is well within reach for most!

PS, thought you thought I had a catback or something! I don't think I'd want this thing any louder than it already is
Old 03-02-2011, 12:21 PM
All motor

Received 532 Likes on 395 Posts
IMPRESSION:
Amazing...I could hear it as soon as I turned it on. Much more aggressive sounding especially right up around 4K rpms. Just sounds raw and mean...hard to describe. Once warmed up, I took it down the block alone. Now, the older I get the less I am willing to do this...but for test I went down this pretty lonesome road down the back part of my development. I call it the proving grounds cause it's where I go to test out any changes I make. Anyway, the car DOES just feel lighter on it's wheels...like it's wants to move. I normally can punch it from one stop sign to the next and I usually have to shut down at 80MPH to be able to comfortably stop before the end (2nd stop sign)...TODAY, I hit 90MPH before having to slow down. I don't know what that relates to...but other than FEELING faster, I can tell you I absolutely ended up 10MPH faster down a set distance.
Glad you like the Jpipe! I do have to say 1 thing...you pointed out that you usually reach 80mph on that stretch of road. You then said you reached 90mph after the Jpipe. Not to rain on your parade or stomp on your fresh whites, but that's inconceivable. You may think it was the same distance; it wasn't. What you're alluding to here is that you gained 10mph over a given distance; that which is shorter than the 1/4 mile. In order for that to happen, you'd have to add 100hp. That didn't happen.

I'm not denying the fact that your car feels and is faster, but not to that extent. With that said, you bought a great mod! Oh, and I'm glad it worked out with your nuts :rofl2:
Old 03-02-2011, 12:59 PM

My nuts are rusty, but impeccable, sir.

About the speed, I have easily added 100+ horsepower because in addition to the jpipe, I have added to my 3.2 the power of positive thought. It's slightly intangible but may account for the vast difference in speed achieved over said distance .
Old 03-02-2011, 01:12 PM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

J.
I would not be surprised if this jpipe changes the sound due to the added length that removes the 3rd cat.

Cat deletes usually do change the exhaust tone.

ETA: unless you are coming from a setup with a race pipe already...
Old 03-02-2011, 01:13 PM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Thumbs up

I pop in this thread from time to time and there are always raves about Richie's Jpipe. Man, I need to do this!!
Old 03-02-2011, 02:00 PM

Yeah man...quality product.
I felt the same way, when removing that cat I figured it would have SOME change in tone. Just not this much.
J.
Old 03-02-2011, 02:28 PM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
I felt the same way, when removing that cat I figured it would have SOME change in tone. Just not this much.
J.
The temptation is even more intense knowing I only live 15 miles from his shop too...
Old 03-02-2011, 02:54 PM
All motor

Received 532 Likes on 395 Posts
My nuts are rusty, but impeccable, sir.

About the speed, I have easily added 100+ horsepower because in addition to the jpipe, I have added to my 3.2 the power of positive thought. It's slightly intangible but may account for the vast difference in speed achieved over said distance .
Positive thought has been known to do wondrous things. With that said,
Old 03-02-2011, 03:14 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by justnspace
I think a stock set up, you wont notice the sound change..
I will verify beyond a shadow of a doubt that Richies J pipe will change a stock sound. My TLS is bone stock except for j pipe and the tone is an obvious upgrade, especially since my pipe is fully broken in.

Last edited by Deep n TX; 03-02-2011 at 03:17 PM. Reason: add coment
Old 03-02-2011, 03:24 PM

I'm bone stock as well, save the rv6.

you have the type-s which the exhaust is more aggressive than mine.I uploaded a video to youtube of my idle and revs a little.
sounds deep, but not louder.

passengers dont even know that I upgraded jpipes. sounds stock with a little ooomph

Edit...
to add, I was scared my mom was gonna find out that I spent close to 500 dollars on this pipe.
She didnt even know anything was different.

Last edited by justnspace; 03-02-2011 at 03:38 PM.
Old 03-02-2011, 03:40 PM

^i would like richies exhaust to compliment the jpipe tho.
I think it would sound like SEX
Old 03-02-2011, 03:47 PM
Advanced

J.
Hard for me to tell how much it changed over stock because I installed both CT-E exhaust & J-Pipe at the same time. Car is very live-able in terms of loudness & alot quieter then I originally thought it would be. I don't think I would get pulled over for it being too loud. Hands off to CT-E for another carb and dB legal system. When cruising around town low speed its quiet gets louder after 3K when the S/C generates boost. At hwy speeds is almost like stock pretty quiet also my AT makes a very cool light growling sound when downshifting also sounds awesome at WOT but think the S/C whine is louder than the exhaust & j.

I do believe if your just doing the J-Pipe with OEM cat back the only difference would be a deeper tone + a tad louder and few more hp added I'm sure that 3rd Cat robs 8~10 whp anyway. Car does run alot better and I can tell the S/C is breathing alot better. I did notice a bit more of a 'exhaust' smell of course the 3rd cat is gone too right! Some people indicated an inaudible difference once doing just the J-Pipe... then again some people are also hard of hearing lol
Old 03-02-2011, 07:05 PM

^^^Totally agree, man...
Gotta turn them 12's down just to even hear the difference

Quick Reply: RV6 V3 Long Tube J-Pipe Release '04-'08 TL all trims **UPDATE PAGE 4**